Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Demon Slayer good outside of animation?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 21, 2023 3:11 PM
魔法少女

Nov 2020
I like Demon Slayer. If you asked me if I liked any given anime when I take away the art style, animation, music, etc. I feel like I would have to sit and think on it a bit. I think all of those things contribute to making an anime "good." I do like the background story and the style of storytelling, and I enjoy many of the emotional scenes, particularly the ones where Tanjiro feels sympathy toward some demons who are killed. That type of ish will always make me feel good because it sheds light on the gray areas of people, that everyone can be good and bad. This isn't ORIGINAL, though, and it's just a ploy that makes ME feel good in any story. Haha. I feel like overall, it's better than average, but not GREAT and AMAZING. It is a standard shōnen. Nothing will ever beat Attack on Titan, in my mind, and Demon Slayer is not on par with that.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝐼𝒻 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝑒𝓁𝓁𝓈 𝓂𝑒 𝒾𝓉’𝓈 𝒶 𝓂𝒾𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒽𝑜𝓅𝑒,
𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓃, 𝐼’𝓁𝓁 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓎’𝓇𝑒 𝓌𝓇𝑜𝓃𝑔. *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
𝚍𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜
𝚗𝚎𝚠𝚜𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜
Feb 21, 2023 3:50 PM

Mar 2021
It is not my personal favorite piece.

I think it looks like a great animation not because the animation is good, but because the effect effects of the techniques look flashy. Also, the music is good. The story itself is pretty simple, but I think some people like that.

Feb 21, 2023 4:05 PM

Aug 2010
I think tons about Demon Slayer is good

The plot is simple but serviceable for what is meant to be a short story. It doesn't need to be bloated and attempt to last forever like some shonen do.

The characters are likeable.
The aesthetic is generally nice imo. I like the bright color palette and all the designs. They stand out nicely from other shonen. I mean, most anime characters look almost all the same, but I know when I see a demon slayer characters vs other anime. The same isnt always true even for other popular shows like Jujutsu kaisen which I like, their characters aren't as easy to pick out of a crowd.

The fights are intricate, well choreographed and hype AF. They also involve interesting opponents so our characters generally do have to think their way out of situations to make the most of combat. Sure believing in themselves is still a good powerup like most shonen, but how often do you see fights like the one with the guy who can make vector arrows (medusa from soul eater, so that's 1 that was also cool) and so on.

I dont get all that involved with OSTs but it seems fine to me.

I think as far as shonen anime go, especially for ones that aren't breaking the mold and are just trying to be standard shonen affairs, it's a high level one. I assume people who only think its good for its animation are haters or simply don't like shonens, both which are fine lol, engage however you want. There's always a vocal negative crowd on the internet, yet there is usually a silent majority who believes the opposite of what the critics say.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Feb 21, 2023 5:43 PM

Apr 2011
No. It's painfully average and generic in every aspect. As for the animation, ufotable's animation does look nice, but I personally am not much a fan of their action scenes. They hide too much poor choreography behind flashy lights and sparks for my taste.
Feb 21, 2023 5:53 PM

Mar 2013
I like the story better than My Hero Academia, but that is not saying much. It is not a story that stands out all that much, but there are enough story beats for me to enjoy as a battle shounen fan. Maybe my standards are just so fucking low, but I like a protagonist who sympathizes with his enemies while still doing shit that needs to be done, and who doesn't fuck his underage sister, and a whiny side character who isn't irritating like Mineta is. 

I can at least think to myself that this is better than Blue Exorcist, which I think is the perfect example of an average battle shounen. I think storywise, it is very competently written compared to Naruto. Honestly?  It is hard to criticize a show that doesn't have major fuck-ups in its narrative or story direction. It isn't a trainwreck, it is just a train.
Feb 21, 2023 6:06 PM

Feb 2021
I watched 6 episodes and that show made me yawn every 2 minutes. I think it was up to the demon slayer test or something? Yeah, point is, it's boring for me. Very. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 21, 2023 9:25 PM
Jul 2017
I watched it a few years ago and thought it was trash. Same old same old that I'd already seen before.

Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point just because it's so popular and I feel like I'm missing out.
Feb 21, 2023 11:10 PM
Sep 2017
Ond of the weakest battle shonen I've seen in terms of story and characters imo. Dropped it after Mugen Train nearly had me falling asleep in the theater.
Feb 21, 2023 11:12 PM
Feb 2023
It really depends on what you are looking for, does it have a complex fascinating story? No, not really. Does it do anything groundbreaking? Nope.

What it does is tell a pretty basic (yet really good) story with compelling characters and some well used tropes, but for me what makes demon slayer so good is its themes and style, if you are like me and absolutely love the more traditional side of Japanese culture (kimono, samurai, martial arts, etc, etc) you will looove demon slayer, it does a great job at mixing real life culture with fantasy (in my opinion). On top of that, the fantasy side, even if it takes obvious inspiration from multiple other works, Is quite good, and I would even dare say it feels fresh.

For this I would say that if what you appreciate about a show is just it’s plot, story and characters, no matter the setting or other themes, you might find better things, but if you like to get involved with other aspects (the “fluff” around it if you will) of the media, I’d say you will appreciate it a lot beyond its animation.

Feb 21, 2023 11:15 PM

Jan 2013
The manga doesn't have any animation. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 21, 2023 11:26 PM

Feb 2023
JaniSIr said:
Even the animation isn't that special, it's mostly just flashing lights in front of a CG background very lacking in detail.

I think what people mean about Demon Slayer is "It's beautiful" rather than "it's difficult to do".
Most of us do not care if it requires skill or hard-work, as long as the result is pretty. 

I've told one of my friend that Wonder Egg Priority had some extremly beautiful pictures, he answered with "oh that's just a chip trick, you do that & that, it's nothing special".
Sure. Cool. However if it's that easy, then everyone should do it cause Wonder Egg Priority is pretty as hell.

Some others recent show are also crazy beautiful (Mushoku Tensei!), but we didn't have any show this pretty 10 years ago imo.

ErisLoverFeb 21, 2023 11:30 PM
Feb 21, 2023 11:51 PM

Jul 2021
ErisLover said:
JaniSIr said:
Even the animation isn't that special, it's mostly just flashing lights in front of a CG background very lacking in detail.

I think what people mean about Demon Slayer is "It's beautiful" rather than "it's difficult to do".
Most of us do not care if it requires skill or hard-work, as long as the result is pretty. 

I've told one of my friend that Wonder Egg Priority had some extremly beautiful pictures, he answered with "oh that's just a chip trick, you do that & that, it's nothing special".
Sure. Cool. However if it's that easy, then everyone should do it cause Wonder Egg Priority is pretty as hell.

Some others recent show are also crazy beautiful (Mushoku Tensei!), but we didn't have any show this pretty 10 years ago imo.

If it's so difficult to do they should have used that effort to make something good. What's the point of it all if the details of the movement are all lost...
Feb 22, 2023 12:05 AM

Feb 2023
I didn't mean to say "it is difficult to do".

I meant to say "i don't care how difficult it is", because i consider it pretty anyway. 
Feb 22, 2023 12:21 AM

Apr 2015
Just like most other shounen, I feel like it's overhyped and nothing special. You know it's the new generic shounen when you walk into normal grocery stores and you see Demon Slayer stuff almost as often as the DBZ stuff.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 22, 2023 1:15 AM
Jul 2022
the animation is definitely the best part of the show. characters and plot are rather stale and boring. demon slayer doesn’t do anything new, that’s not necessarily bad but the cliches and tropes it does use aren’t even well executed. then again, this is just my opinion and everyone should judge the show themselves.
Feb 22, 2023 2:10 AM
Jul 2021
After reading chainsaw mid mango I can say demon Slayer is definitely better
Feb 22, 2023 2:59 AM

Sep 2008
Nice visuals with Ufotable at the helm. But like some have said, it's otherwise rather typical for a shounen series.
Feb 22, 2023 7:45 AM

Nov 2020
El001 said:
No, it most definitely isn't. And the animation itself is pathetic when you compare it to a KyoAni or IG show.
Certainly not. Have you seen the Gyutarou fight? 

No. Next question
Feb 22, 2023 9:18 AM

Feb 2019
I mean I enjoy it, but I don't think it's the best anime of all time nor do I think it innovated anything new. I enjoy just because its pleasant to the eyes, Its engaging and fast, It barely has filler & the story is simple and straightforward. If there is one complaint that I have is that the comedy is often cringe and the characters are extremely 1 dimensional. Other than that its pretty good. I kinda hate people who try to be critical of everything. Dude like learn to enjoy things instead of criticizing it. I mean sure its not perfect, but not everything has to be a masterpiece for us to enjoy them. We enjoy things because they're entertaining. 
-Kugeki-Feb 22, 2023 9:24 AM
Feb 22, 2023 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
MarkVijet said:

The one with the epilepsy inducing digital effects spam?
Feb 22, 2023 10:17 AM

Nov 2020
El001 said:
MarkVijet said:

Unless you actually have epilepsy I don't see the issue 
Feb 22, 2023 1:39 PM

Nov 2022
It has nothing going for it other than pretty visuals.
Feb 22, 2023 1:48 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Not particularly good or bad, just really basic

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 22, 2023 1:57 PM

Feb 2019
I thought it was pretty interesting, it was very enjoyable to watch :)
My Candies:
“Even when you were so depressed and emotionally unstable, the taste of your coffee jelly stayed the same." Kusuo Saiki
Feb 22, 2023 2:01 PM

Sep 2020
I thought the series would be much darker than it is when I watched the first episode. Although both the manga and the anime are rather entertaining, they don't really stand out much beyond the animation in the case of the anime. But even though the plot and major cast of characters are very formulaic, this does not automatically imply that the whole series is bad.

"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Feb 22, 2023 2:04 PM

Jan 2015
The main cast sucks, but everything else is fine.
Feb 22, 2023 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
MarkVijet said:
El001 said:

Good for you. Ignorance is bliss.
removed-userFeb 22, 2023 6:15 PM
Feb 22, 2023 6:24 PM

Sep 2020
El001 said:
MarkVijet said:

This is pretty accurate. The over abundance of flashing colors, along with characters and objects simply moving around to quickly, it can actually make it fairly difficult to comprehend what's happening on screen during almost any major action sequence. This isn't exclusive to demon shitter though to be fair; it's basically an aspect of any major big budget action focused anime series.
Feb 22, 2023 7:09 PM

Dec 2020
I still think 'Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works' (and probably a couple more fate shows) is Ufotable's best work when it comes to scripting the fight scenes. If Ufotable manages to add more details to their scenes (like Wit studios did with Levi-Kenny chase), it can be better. Take away all the beautiful animation and aesthetic, you'll be left with a completely generic 'Shadow Fight 2' (I would say Shadow Fight 2 is better). Tanjiro is a boring MC, with no character growth at all, just another 'too-good-for-this-world' type character.

But that's alright, sure, it's generic and simple but it's alright. It's pretty enjoyable. Thanks, Ufotable.
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Feb 22, 2023 7:09 PM

Dec 2020
ryo-san said:
I know for a fact that demon slayer is also plagiarized
Wait, actually? Can you open up a bit about it ?
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Feb 22, 2023 7:31 PM

Apr 2022
The story is good and easy to follow. It's nothing too extraordinary, but I think I understand why some people like DS so much.
UsapzFeb 22, 2023 7:36 PM
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Feb 22, 2023 7:56 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
-Aurelius- said:
ryo-san said:
I know for a fact that demon slayer is also plagiarized
Wait, actually? Can you open up a bit about it ?

manga author Gotouge Koyoharu plagiarized his former assistant's doujinshi called yaimetsu no kaiba while they and their editor made false promises to the assistant about of debuting their own work.?
I also heard The assistant fell into depression and died.... apparently they changed vampires into demons...
Clear up Pic of the doujinshi

Original post
https://imgur.io/pPGvjPn?r

Feb 22, 2023 10:29 PM

Nov 2020
El001 said:
MarkVijet said:

Good for you. Ignorance is bliss.
Great. Instead of refuting me, just tell me I'm dumb
Feb 22, 2023 10:37 PM
Aug 2013
El001 said:
No, it most definitely isn't. And the animation itself is pathetic when you compare it to a KyoAni or IG show.

Literally neither of those studios have made anything that surpasses the animation in Demon slayer Season 2 final fight
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 22, 2023 10:40 PM
Aug 2013
JaniSIr said:

Season 2 final fight was peak animation, not a single anime that exists has done better animation than final fight in season 2.... And this flashing lights and stuff is called Sakuga and impact frames so tell me you don't know anything about animation lol. It's definitely not just flashing lights, that's what DBZ was just not demon slayer

~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 22, 2023 10:49 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
It's a very mid shonen aside from production values there is really nothing special about it.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Feb 22, 2023 11:05 PM

Mar 2021
Average series getting hyped up to death by everyone,

Its quite similar with the situation of mediocre lineup of marvel movies since many years being gassed up to death by its "devouts"

Catalano said:
look at this and decide for yourself

This is the only good point of demon Slayer
One can listen to miyuki sawashiro screaming "oniiiii-chaaannn" in its full glory
Za_PandaFeb 22, 2023 11:13 PM
Feb 22, 2023 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
AwokenStroken said:
El001 said:

This is pretty accurate. The over abundance of flashing colors, along with characters and objects simply moving around to quickly, it can actually make it fairly difficult to comprehend what's happening on screen during almost any major action sequence. This isn't exclusive to demon shitter though to be fair; it's basically an aspect of any major big budget action focused anime series.

Yes, and I can only think of a few exceptions. One Punch Man & Space☆Dandy being prime among them. The action sequences in those shows—especially the ones animated by Yutaka Nakamura or Bahi JD—are visually coherent despite having so much over animated insanity going on. This, for example is surreal.
Feb 23, 2023 2:29 AM

Jul 2021
AnimeDownUnder said:
JaniSIr said:

Season 2 final fight was peak animation, not a single anime that exists has done better animation than final fight in season 2.... And this flashing lights and stuff is called Sakuga and impact frames so tell me you don't know anything about animation lol. It's definitely not just flashing lights, that's what DBZ was just not demon slayer

Is it that fight where they fly above a generic CG village and the two characters swing so fast that all you see is their hands blurred, and the flash of where they swords clash?

Goop watch Junketsu no Maria if you want to see actually good, historically accurate, fight scenes.
Feb 23, 2023 3:00 AM

Mar 2021
Catalano said:
look at this and decide for yourself

That's a nice argument senator, why don't you back it up with the source?

Feb 23, 2023 3:25 AM

Jan 2014
What most people doesn't get is that it takes a good writer to make a solid piece of work, a great writer to make a good piece of work and a genius to produce outstanding works of fiction. You can't judge a fish's worth on its ability to climb a tree. Demon Slayer doesn't aim for the heavens like most other shounen does. Still, what it aims for, it excels in. Execution is everything, and Demon Slayer nails everything is trying to do.

The great animation, art, sound design and direction of the anime overshadows a lot of the good writing Demon Slayer has going for it. I read the manga to its competition, and even in the absence of the high production values, it was still a great read. I will admit that it does start rough. I dropped both the anime and manga around the Demon Slayer tests. However, from episode 12 onwards, DS finds its feet and hits its mark, over and over again. 

I jumped back into Demon Slayer after the episode 19 hype and have loved everything that came since. I think most of you MAL users need to rewatch the series with a fresh pair of eyes. Maybe give a competent reaction channel a try. There is much to love besides its high production values.

Feb 23, 2023 3:25 AM

Mar 2009
There are some good parts and some atrocious
I would say Tanjiro and his super shounen MC plot armor hero complex is worst I ever seen in any kind of shounen and I am a huge shounen fan.
Also Muzan as a villain sucks, he is so annoyingly petty and dumb
Lots of fights are amazingly done especially if Tanjiro is not in it
Also emotional scenes are big hit or miss because the story does not take a time with certain characters for you to feel sad for them
Feb 23, 2023 3:27 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
MikitoList said:
ryo-san said:

I call it as it was shown..

Keep crying... The author of demon slayer should be in jail or something. Probably bribed the police too. So add that to his list of crimes

It’s a JDrama… the plot is made up, it’s all fake. You think all anime characters are real people too? Lmao. It’s really hard to tell on these forums, because only a microscopic portion of the people on this site have a brain, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and just pretend you’re trolling. Though you should probably pivot to insults that don’t involve telling people an author caused someone to kill themself.

It's clear as day who is insulting and abusing who here...

Feb 23, 2023 3:30 AM

Jan 2023
It's not a work of art we all know that but it's decent, good characters & story to work with.

Profile   ●   Website

Feb 23, 2023 3:47 AM
Feb 2023
Why the hell is this thread here in the  first place?
Feb 23, 2023 3:54 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Swihg said:

Why the hell is this fake profile here in the first place?

Feb 23, 2023 3:54 AM
Feb 2022
It's mid and probably mid
Nothing much to say

Oh yeah props to ufotable
Feb 23, 2023 3:58 AM
Feb 2022
ryo-san said:
MikitoList said:

Imagine going around spreading a lie that an author not only plagiarized a story (the WORST thing you could do in that industry), but then that action prompted someone to kill themself. You’ve got about three functional brain cells floating around up there.

I call it as it was shown..

Keep crying... The author of demon slayer should be in jail or something. Probably bribed the police too. So add that to his list of crimes
ok added.
Thanks for the information.
According to world penal code 0069 today she will get my delux sized chocobar with white sweet serum inside and she need to keep it in mouth for whole night.
Feb 23, 2023 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
AnimeDownUnder said:
El001 said:

Literally neither of those studios have made anything that surpasses the animation in Demon slayer Season 2 final fight

The fight sequences in Kobayashi's Dragon Maid & Dragon Maid S utterly outclass everything Demon Slayer has ever done & will continue to do.

- https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/163854
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/163857
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/159005
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/159087
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/164858
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/165783 <--- spoiler warning

Also, the animation of a show can't be judged by a single animation spike (which is what a fight scene is.) It should be judged by how consistent the animation is on a second to second basis. And Kyoto Animation and Production I.G have always been responsible for the most consistently & lavishly animated shows in the entire medium.

Also, Hyouka.

- https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/6879
         - https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/8722
Feb 23, 2023 4:08 AM
Feb 2023
ryo-san said:
Swihg said:

Why the hell is this fake profile here in the  first place?

Aww someone is salty, the fate of no lifer anime fan I guess.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Bad animation? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - May 11

61 by Kyubey89 »»
Yesterday, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2019

200 by satyrelfheim »»
Jun 8, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2019

198 by satyrelfheim »»
Jun 8, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2019

235 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

274 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 6:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.