Forum Settings
Forums

Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

New
Apr 28, 5:26 AM

Jun 2020
for example when you know that mal user is cute/hot you feel good or somethin.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 28, 5:31 AM

Sep 2016
Sure does, would be lying otherwise.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 28, 5:47 AM

Feb 2024
Certainly not, I only care about their identities, not gonna date someone from this site or something.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 28, 5:56 AM

Dec 2015
No?

I am not discriminating any kind of looks to treat someone better or worse just because of a look, so I don't give a single F if any user here is handsome or not, fat, slim, anorectic, tatoos, piercing and any other stuff which might make someone's look different.
The look only matters for women whom I would like to date/hang out [which doesn't apply here, as I don't use mal for this purpose]
Apr 28, 5:58 AM
Dec 2022
I don't care about MAL users' IRL appearances. There are more important things than caring about their potential looks.
Apr 28, 6:02 AM

Mar 2013
Probably not, I get used to it quickly after whatever initial shock. I do however either keep certain assumptions in mind, or more likely feel more or less vindicated depending on who the person is and their personalities. If someone has shitty opinions and they are hideous in the "typical reddit mod" way, then I feel vindicated.

So many people here have the most braindead takes imaginable. It should only be fitting that their outward appearance reflects a life of failure and degeneracy.
Apr 28, 6:05 AM

Aug 2021
I mean yeah if im attracted to somebody my heart rate might get a little elevated and I might hesitate when saying shit cuz all of then sudden I'd worry about what they think of me lmao

Sry but that's the truth who doesn't wanna hang with ppl their attracted to
Apr 28, 8:51 AM

Nov 2017
To an extent.

Mostly 'cause from my experience, users here tend to look like their personalities. Funnily enough, those who are mean or disagreeable tend to also be, to put it as gently as I can, quite homely. And the users whom I'm friends with or are pleasant to talk to tend to be handsome or beautiful
Apr 28, 8:53 AM

Feb 2020
I guess it doesn't really matter that much.
Apr 28, 9:08 AM

May 2022
Yeah, I definitely say more stupid stuff to my real life friends that use this website.
Apr 28, 9:22 AM

Dec 2021
Absolutely. We all know my favorite saying by now: "If you ain't hot, then you ain't steppin' on my yacht."
Apr 28, 10:01 AM

Aug 2012
You mean MAL users aren't just their avatars?

But nah, I don't care about how anyone here looks, wouldn't change my attitude towards them.
Apr 28, 10:02 AM

Aug 2018
There was a user who showed his face and loved making threads about himself practicing or showcasing his piano skills. I forgot who it was, but I was certainly impressed.

@Zarutaku Yeah
RhaeApr 28, 10:18 AM
Apr 28, 10:09 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Rhae
There was a user who showed his face and loved making threads about himself practicing or showcasing his piano skills. I forgot who it was, but I was certainly impressed.

@Zarutaku Yeah
@Rhae https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2143416

?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 28, 10:21 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Treat, no? Feel, maybe to some extent.
Apr 28, 10:31 AM

Jan 2022
Everyone who says looks don't matter is lying.
Apr 28, 11:50 AM

Sep 2019
No, I'm not going to treat anybody more positive or negative just based on their looks.
Apr 28, 2:01 PM

May 2013
Only if they say they are ugly when they arent

Bitch fix yo self esteem

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 28, 4:01 PM

Feb 2020
Nah, I just build my entire image of people here based off of their profiles, forum sets, and the elements of their personalities that come across in forums. Anything else isn't really relevant to me.

the End of the dragon sphere
Speak not the Watchers‚ Draw not the Watchers‚ Speak of me. Paint my likeness.
Write not the Watchers‚ Sculpt not the Watchers‚ Write about me. Carve me into stone.
Sing not the Watchers‚ Call not the Watchers' name. Sing of me. Call for me.
Please. Please realize...that I am here.
Hello, friend.
Apr 28, 4:27 PM

Aug 2020
Cute/hot for me here is someone who likes the same stuff I like

Apr 28, 4:54 PM

Jul 2012
I won't change the way I treat them. It'll affect the way I see them though, kinda like hey it's the cool eye's guy! or fun smiley girl!
But yea it's more the attitude that'll change how I treat someone.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Apr 28, 5:21 PM

May 2021
Pretty privilege exists, but the way they behave will always overshadow it.

Apr 28, 5:42 PM

Oct 2022
I dont think I would change how i treat them. Yeah, now there is like a face under the plp, but thats is. I dont think it could impact anything that we do here, if you opinion is cringe or based it doesnt matter to me if you are a model from Calvin Klein or a monster that should be hiding forever
Apr 28, 7:09 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I don't really know how most people on here look. Behaviour makes more of an impact, I feel.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 28, 10:45 PM
Apr 2022
i expect an average mal user to be as ugly as i am, so i'd just be surprised and consider it as an anomaly
Apr 29, 2:10 AM

Dec 2018
nah i don't really care. i'm not gonna discriminate and unfriend someone after i find out they're not "attractive", besides im not here to date anyone. also im already attracted to someone i know in real life T_T
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Apr 29, 5:47 AM
Feb 2024
i mean yeah as long as she isnt rude or mean.

i liked it when i found a mal user who is a very cute girl the other day
Apr 29, 7:16 AM

Jul 2013
Nobody knows how I like irl btw. I try to remain as anonymous as possible online.
Apr 29, 11:34 AM

Feb 2015
one of my biggest fear when I go outside is for someone to know I use MAL and that same goes for when I see a MALer outside. I simply just dont want weeb to be outside tbf.
Apr 29, 11:37 AM

Jan 2009
thats halo effect and pretty privilege and lookism at work so yes
Apr 29, 11:42 AM

Feb 2018
Not really. I'd only judge appearances of someone i'd like to date. Not of friends.
Apr 29, 12:43 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to _Ako_
one of my biggest fear when I go outside is for someone to know I use MAL and that same goes for when I see a MALer outside. I simply just dont want weeb to be outside tbf.
@_Ako_ yeah it is good to stay relatively anonymous online.
Apr 29, 3:08 PM

Nov 2013
Always hits different when someone pulls up to a thread and drops a selfie which gives off the vibe that they last showered in 2018.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 29, 4:59 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Sad
Always hits different when someone pulls up to a thread and drops a selfie which gives off the vibe that they last showered in 2018.
@Sad posting personal info online is bad idea imo.
Apr 29, 7:26 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No. Same thing goes for people I interact with in everyday life.
Apr 29, 7:34 PM

Jul 2013
I never post photographs of myself online...for my own safety.
Apr 30, 2:50 AM

Mar 2018
no - i don't care how someone looks. there's literally no reason for me to
care unless i'm seeking a reason to be attracted to someone for other
motives, for which i am not currently interested in.

Apr 30, 8:15 AM

Nov 2019
Send me a pic and I will be the judge of that. /s (Personality is key, looks are very low on the agenda of treatment tbh)
Apr 30, 8:57 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I've seen some good looking MAL guys before and of course I liked it :)

But how I act and talk to them is a different matter, I don't treat someone differently just because of their looks

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 30, 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
Rinrinka said:
I've seen some good looking MAL guys before and of course I liked it :)
Likewise, I have seen quite some beautiful MAL girls (you are btw one of them) but it doesn't make me any significantly more interested in them than people I don't know how they look like. A far more deciding factor whether I'm interested would be whether the topics would be relevant or would have an emotional character and the other party would be interested + I would have enough leisure
Apr 30, 2:13 PM

Jun 2019
Of course, it might change how I see them, especially when it comes to self-confident people who like to boast about their looks, I will respect them more if reality holds to their persona, which is indeed a difference of treatment. Or the people who give dating advice and look like a Discord moderator (you want to ask them when they last stepped outside of their basement)... Otherwise, I could not care less; if you say something stupid, your appearance is irrelevant.

Noboru said:
(you are one of them btw)

月が綺麗。The litotes that comes after those parentheses would put Racine to shame. I hope that your arch-nemesis will see this post...
Apr 30, 2:18 PM

Apr 2024
Never seen a MAL user's face, but I think it's hard to not subconsciously treat them differently, however I'd like to hope that the change wouldn't be too drastic. But for instance if someone who I thought was 20 was actually 40 of course that'd change how I viewed them. However, this may sound a bit stereotypical but I would much prefer someone I could get along with then someone who looked nice, especially with someone where most of our interactions are online.
Apr 30, 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Oshieteoshiete4
Never seen a MAL user's face, but I think it's hard to not subconsciously treat them differently, however I'd like to hope that the change wouldn't be too drastic. But for instance if someone who I thought was 20 was actually 40 of course that'd change how I viewed them. However, this may sound a bit stereotypical but I would much prefer someone I could get along with then someone who looked nice, especially with someone where most of our interactions are online.
@Oshieteoshiete4 you raise a valid point. Thanks for pointing that out.
Apr 30, 2:36 PM

Jan 2009
Meusnier said:
月が綺麗。The litotes that comes after those parentheses would put Racine to shame. I hope that your arch-nemesis will see this post...
You can use simpler and more common language to be better understandable, but it wasn't a form of under-exaggerating either way. Secondly, I have no idea why you're referring the Anime and even write it in Japanese. Tsuki ga Kirei - The moon is beautiful. It's been longer that I've seen the Anime and I have completely forgotten about the contents. Racine is apparently a famous French classic author, but since I'm not French, we didn't have him in school and I would be also hard pressed to make any reference with classic German authors as I was never really into classic literature. So I don't get that reference, either
Last but not least, it's completely irrelevant what my "arch-nemesis" thinks (in case I still have one), particularly when I'm not really interested in her despite finding her beautiful. But beauty alone doesn't make a woman loveable as Walther von der Vogelweide mentioned
Apr 30, 3:42 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to Adverrito
i expect an average mal user to be as ugly as i am, so i'd just be surprised and consider it as an anomaly
@Adverrito Average MAL user is living on hard mode...
Apr 30, 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
I am totally not a basement dweller irl lol...
Apr 30, 4:31 PM

Jun 2020
No, I automatically assume everyone here is a musty neckbeard
Apr 30, 11:26 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Actually, yes? In general though. The look itself doesn't matter too much. Sure, I understand that you're all humans. However, once I can kinda see what a user looks like, I start to be able to connect with them a little more? It's kinda like putting a face to a name/avatar. Like, I'm relatively comfortable talking to some of the mods here on MAL, but that's because I've met some of them in person. Kinda like that. Nothing really about attractiveness or anything. I don't go out of my way to bother people if they have shown a picture of themselves though. Actually, I try to avoid them a little more so it doesn't seem like I'm stalking them or something, it's just that I'll be a little more comfortable whenever we do interact.

Additionally, hearing a user's voice is kinda the same. So even if I've been in a voice chat with a user, then I feel a little more comfortable talking to them.

Of course, I aim to have that same level of comfort regardless of whether there's a picture or not-- I used to be able to. Perhaps I'm just more distant these days.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 1, 1:19 AM

Aug 2021
Lets be radically honest with ourselves, who likes the looks of a Pedophilic, greasy neckbeard basement dweller who still lives with his parents 🤔
Entity72May 1, 6:36 PM
May 1, 2:01 PM

Jun 2019
Noboru said:
Meusnier said:
You can use simpler and more common language to be better understandable, but it wasn't a form of under-exaggerating either way. Secondly, I have no idea why you're referring the Anime and even write it in Japanese. Tsuki ga Kirei - The moon is beautiful. It's been longer that I've seen the Anime and I have completely forgotten about the contents. Racine is apparently a famous French classic author, but since I'm not French, we didn't have him in school and I would be also hard pressed to make any reference with classic German authors as I was never really into classic literature. So I don't get that reference, either
Last but not least, it's completely irrelevant what my "arch-nemesis" thinks (in case I still have one), particularly when I'm not really interested in her despite finding her beautiful. But beauty alone doesn't make a woman loveable as Walther von der Vogelweide mentioned

It would not be amusing to write in a transparent way. If you cannot remember about Dazai's quote on love an interpretation of the title of this anime, this is your issue... I am surprised that you had never heard about Racine, but in fact, I was thinking of Corneille's Va, je ne te hais point. from Le Cid which could rightfully be interpreted as a love confession. You should make references to obscure German writers, some people might learn new things (I doubt that I would though...).

How do you know how she looks like?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Twitter is officially X.com now

deg - Today

23 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» I showed the music that I've produced to my father, he liked it

weirdmusty7 - Today

16 by Kwanthemaster »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 10

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
30 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

31 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a wizard? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 9

54 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.