Jun 17, 2023 12:14 PM

May 2021
was a 5/10 For me. sooooo meh.
Jun 17, 2023 12:19 PM

May 2021
In my opinion, yes.

Jun 17, 2023 12:22 PM
Mar 2020
Saying this with Slime, Jobless, KonoSuba and Eminence in the Shadows existing is wild
Jun 17, 2023 12:31 PM
Feb 2021
This is not a isekai anime. yes they go to "another world" but consept is totally different.
Jun 17, 2023 12:33 PM

Jun 2023
xyojin said:
This is not a isekai anime. yes they go to "another world" but consept is totally different.
Thats literally what isekai means lol
Jun 17, 2023 12:40 PM
Jun 2021
imo Haibane Renmei is better but this is also a great anime, honestly I think I might rewatch it
Jun 17, 2023 12:45 PM
Sep 2022
Of course not, it was pretty solid but not the best
Jun 17, 2023 12:52 PM
Dec 2022
Yes, easily. Isekai is a bad genre but this is great.
Jun 17, 2023 1:00 PM
Jan 2021
its stupid to compare it to most "isekai" but if you were to do that anyway I'd say its better than almost all of them, except a few like mushoku tensei and re zero
Jun 17, 2023 1:37 PM
Jan 2017
Yeah and it’s not even close
Jun 17, 2023 1:41 PM
Oct 2017
I forgot it technically is an isekai lol. Visually, it is my favorite. I really like the character designs and the world designs. Plot wise though it is not.
Jun 17, 2023 1:55 PM
Dec 2022
This is in my opinion the worst anime I have finished, so no.
Jun 17, 2023 1:59 PM
Jan 2018
It is better than any isekai I have ever seen, but I don't think it is an isekai either. It's like calling Serial Experiments Lain an isekai because of the wired...
Jun 17, 2023 2:17 PM

Feb 2022
idk but its definitely the most tasteful

Jun 17, 2023 3:08 PM
Jun 2021
Its so good, plus the soundtrack
Jun 17, 2023 3:09 PM
Jun 2021
xyojin said:

isekai is literally about going to another world.
Its why i call things like “alice in wonderland” or “narnia” isekai.
Its a literal definition
Jun 17, 2023 3:10 PM
Jun 2021
PromptFob said:
It is better than any isekai I have ever seen, but I don't think it is an isekai either. It's like calling Serial Experiments Lain an isekai because of the wired...

No its not because the entire concept of this show is about “other worlds” or in japanese “isekai”
Jun 17, 2023 3:46 PM
Apr 2021
I gave it a 9 for it’s complex plot and animation I throughly enjoyed this anime even if I only got the gist of things💀
Jun 17, 2023 4:30 PM
Jan 2018
GreatCarerJack said:
PromptFob said:

No its not because the entire concept of this show is about “other worlds” or in japanese “isekai”

With respect, I still disagree. I understand the literal interpretation of Isekai, however a genre --used to define any kind of media-- is only useful if it successfully connects all the media it encompasses by a common theme. A literal interpretation of Isekai is about as helpful as a literal interpretation of the Romance genre. Full on hentai could be categorized as romance if using a literal interpretation, however this is hardly what people come to expect from the romance genre.
Onto Isekai. SEL was a bad example. Perhaps my point is better represented by Dr Stone. While not Isekai by your definition, it fits into the Isekai genre far better than Sonny Boy. It gives the feeling of excitement as the characters struggle to understand and master the rules of their new world. This feeling that is expected by all Isekai fans and not really present or explored much in Sonny Boy.
I believe this feeling is a better metric to use for defining Isekai than the autistic literal definition that becomes more and more useless as it encompasses more and more shows that have less and less commonality.
It sounds absurd when phrased this way, but Sonny Boy is only very literally(definitionaly) an Isekai. It does contain the spirit of Isekai. I don't count it as an Isekai anime. Sorry to derail thread 😁
Jun 17, 2023 4:33 PM
Jun 2021
PromptFob said:
GreatCarerJack said:

With respect, I still disagree. I understand the literal interpretation of Isekai, however a genre --used to define any kind of media-- is only useful if it successfully connects all the media it encompasses by a common theme. A literal interpretation of Isekai is about as helpful as a literal interpretation of the Romance genre. Full on hentai could be categorized as romance if using a literal interpretation, however this is hardly what people come to expect from the romance genre.
Onto Isekai. SEL was a bad example. Perhaps my point is better represented by Dr Stone. While not Isekai by your definition, it fits into the Isekai genre far better than Sonny Boy. It gives the feeling of excitement as the characters struggle to understand and master the rules of their new world. This feeling that is expected by all Isekai fans and not really present or explored much in Sonny Boy.
I believe this feeling is a better metric to use for defining Isekai than the autistic literal definition that becomes more and more useless as it encompasses more and more shows that have less and less commonality.
It sounds absurd when phrased this way, but Sonny Boy is only very literally(definitionaly) an Isekai. It does contain the spirit of Isekai. I don't count it as an Isekai anime. Sorry to derail thread 😁

i mean a time travel (technically) show is a time travel show and a show where people hop dimensions is an isekai and a show where people are reincarnated can be an isekai but also death isn’t necessary.
Of anything sonny boy is the MOST isekai of the entire genre, take the first scene outta 99% of isekai you have a fantasy show anyway.
Isekai is a very loose genre descriptor except for sonny boys case where its in fact the main plot
Jun 17, 2023 4:37 PM
Jan 2018
^ We seem to see things fundamentally differently :-) I will leave it at that
Jun 17, 2023 4:45 PM
Jul 2021
This is honestly one of the best top 3 or 5 at most
Jun 17, 2023 5:02 PM
Nov 2019
CCG05 said:
Saying this with Slime, Jobless, KonoSuba and Eminence in the Shadows existing is wild

Fr this is the worst isekai ever 1/10 just a bunch of random nonsense happening with no real purpose + boring
Jun 17, 2023 5:38 PM

Jun 2023
DoctorBryce said:
CCG05 said:

Fr this is the worst isekai ever 1/10 just a bunch of random nonsense happening with no real purpose + boring

>Onimai fan
Ok buddy
Jun 17, 2023 5:57 PM

Feb 2021
Not even better than shield hero
Jun 17, 2023 6:04 PM

Apr 2022
no, this is one of the worst things i've ever seen. idk what the best isekai is anyway, not a fan of the genre. on second thought, probably ngnl.
Jun 17, 2023 7:06 PM
Feb 2023
kinda offensive to call it an isekai. When I hear isekai the first thing that comes to mind is trash. Isekai Trash. This anime is more deeply philosophical compared to the anime regurgitated today.
Jun 17, 2023 7:27 PM

Dec 2021
The only complaints people have from this show is "I dOn't unDErStanD iT" or "tHis sHOw mAKes nO sEnsE".
Once you try to understand and analyze this show, this is not only the greatest isekai of all time but all the most intelligent and brilliantly crafted anime of all time and nothing comes close to this.
Jun 17, 2023 8:17 PM
Jan 2022
This anime has good approach for Isekai, yes. I always hate when Isekai combined with Reincarnation. I understand some people only correlate Isekai with Fantasy (RPG like) anime, but it's doesn't have to.

Sonny Boy is the anime that play more on philosophical story. If you could only see the anime as "a bunch of kid trying to go back to their world", you probably think it was just some weird anime.

But it has another meaning behind it, as this anime is story of coming of age, when we as kids discarded some of our " childish personality, dream, or mindset", and those personality is embodied as a character and it's super power.

The part when we don't understand how money works and just think it was pop out of thin air. the part when we want to escape from our reality and seeking another possibility. the part that thinking we are hero. our animalistic side, and so on....

for me Sony Boy is very artistic and philosophical anime wich I like, you need to look it from different angle though
Jun 17, 2023 8:30 PM

Jun 2015
CCG05 said:

I say it all the time though, because it's true teehee
Jun 17, 2023 8:54 PM
Oct 2022
don't like the genre in usual so haven't watched much but from what ive seen youjo senki is my favourite in that genre
Jun 17, 2023 9:32 PM

Dec 2020
I love when I'm randomly thinking about something and go to post about it and I'm not the only one. This is currently my #2 favorite anime behind samurai flamenco and I appreciate the hell out of it, the only one I've ever watched in its entirety again and I just might go for round 3, this is such a brilliant piece of work and I appreciate it with the fullest extent of my being.
Jun 17, 2023 11:05 PM
May 2021
I can't say greatest but one of the weirdest I guess....
Jun 18, 2023 3:20 AM
Feb 2021
GreatCarerJack said:
xyojin said:

isekai is literally about going to another world.
Its why i call things like “alice in wonderland” or “narnia” isekai.
Its a literal definition

yes tchnically Sonny Boy is isekai🤓
what i'm trying to say is this show is not comparable with other isekai anime
Jun 18, 2023 6:02 AM
Jun 2020
You guys aren’t even ready for the greatest isekai to come out this year: the barbie movie!!!!
Jun 18, 2023 7:34 AM

Dec 2013
This show was definitely a Lain/10. Very confusing but if you liked parts of it there really isn't a lot like it. I know I have to rewatch it at some point and just like Lain I expect to find other parts of the story to enjoy that I didn't see before.
Jun 18, 2023 7:55 AM
Jun 2021
Though i wouldn't call it an isekai anime i am most certainly sure that it is not the greatest. It may contain complex story plots etc but so does the isekai anime with 7 and up stars if looked closely. such animes are re zero , eminence in shadow etc. Current Gen isekai have derailed from isekai genre with distasteful plots and story so much that newcomers are getting wrong idea about what isekai is. sonny boy is a good story but i believe there are more better and greater story that far outclass it every way.
Jun 19, 2023 3:46 PM
Jul 2021
I don't think it's an isekai though.
Jun 19, 2023 6:13 PM
Aug 2021
As much as I don't want to associate this with isekai, it's definitely the best.
Jun 20, 2023 9:10 AM
Jul 2015
HarrierDuBoisFan said:
Probably tied with Haibane Renmei or The Tatami Galaxy idk its a tough call

The Tatami Galaxy isn't an Isekai
Jun 20, 2023 9:15 AM

Jun 2023
SimplySam said:
HarrierDuBoisFan said:
Probably tied with Haibane Renmei or The Tatami Galaxy idk its a tough call

The Tatami Galaxy isn't an Isekai
in the last 2 episodes it is
Jun 21, 2023 1:48 AM

Oct 2019
probably, but if this is isekai... then so are spirited away and death parade.

i still think this is the best, but it does havr some competition.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 23, 2023 3:16 AM
May 2022
Yes, by a considerably wide margin.
AkiraMiyazaki17Jun 23, 2023 3:38 AM
Jul 8, 2023 11:54 AM

Aug 2020
One of. Pretentious but interesting for sure.

Jul 11, 2023 5:57 PM
Jun 2023
It seems like a lot of people didn't understand what they were watching when they were watching Sonny Boy. It is more of a psychological adventure story based on character growth and changes. The worlds themselves are important, but they are catalysts for the characters to grow, change and make peace with their complex existence. Or not make peace, and find some kind of purpose. Or try and destroy purpose itself in an attempt to leave it all behind. It tackles the large scale complexities of existing in that type of existence rather than the surface level "woah a new world". It takes the characters and their actions seriously, while also keeping those characters AS characters. And keeping them interesting at that. I'd say you could call it an isekai just fine, but if that is your main perspective on this anime, then you are really missing out on all the depth and intrigue that it is exploring. I would say it is one of my favorite anime, probably not my favorite isekai. My favorite isekai is Overlord, because it literally explores what it would be like to be put into a place of power in a new world, and actually take it seriously while focusing on all of the entertaining bits of isekai. the complexities and inter character workings, etc. It focuses heavily on "what is this new world like" and how the characters interact with it. Sonny boy on the otherhand focuses on how their existence is so complex that none of them can even begin to form a normal existence. that the WORLD they were put into, is barely capable of keeping them in it with the specific laws of nature to each one, but the worlds won't let them go either. Sonny Boy is like magical purgatory. A look at how bizarre such an existence would be.
Jul 31, 2023 1:25 PM

Jul 2016
I don't think I am qualified to answer if this is the greatest Isekai anime of all time since I've only seen several other Isekai franchises including Konosuba, Re:Zero and Immanence in Shadow.

All these other Isekai I mentioned were better as entertainment. I was more amused and diverted by their spectacle and plot than Sonny Boy. 

However, since I'm considering how affected I was by watching said-shows, I would Sonny Boy impacted me the most.  So it's also the one I've liked the most out of the few that I've seen because it provoked further thinking and introspection compared to the others.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.