Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are 3 episode reviews valid?
Apr 29, 8:20 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
99.9% of the time, I don't think so.

I seriously don't think 3 episodes are enough to review an anime or even live action tv-shows.

What do y'all think?

Is it becoming a problem on MyAnimeList?
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 8:33 PM

Oct 2018
Yes, even reviews of one episode are valid. Most of the time, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to see how things will unfold.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 29, 8:34 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Yes, even reviews of one episode are valid. Most of the time, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to see how things will unfold.
@Phosphophyllita

So, 1-3ep reviews provide the same or more information in their reviews compared to someone who watched like 6-12 episodes of the series?

That makes no sense to me.

It also causes review-bombing.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Apr 29, 8:42 PM

Sep 2022
I personally don't think so. In most cases, not enough has happened in three episodes.

But I don't even look at reviews in the first place so it doesn't really matter to me.
Apr 29, 8:42 PM

Oct 2018
A review is only valid if the reviewer has finished the entire show.
Apr 29, 8:45 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Reply to EverRealm
A review is only valid if the reviewer has finished the entire show.
@EverRealm

W opinion... my friend.
Apr 29, 8:48 PM
Apr 2024
if you are a critic you have to see the whole thing, if not there is not point in suffering the whole thing so you can give an more accurate review, usually you don't need that much to know where things are going

according to those standards there should be 0 reviews about one piece, imagine that.
Apr 29, 9:03 PM

Aug 2018
Valid enough, they could edit their reviews afterward.

3 episode reviews are preliminary anyway.
Apr 29, 9:12 PM

Jul 2023
Most shows dont change that much after 3 episodes
Apr 29, 9:36 PM

Mar 2019
They work as reviews of the first 3 episodes.

They do not work as reviews of the entire series and should not be treated as equal to those that review the whole thing.
Apr 29, 9:50 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I think for your personal self yeah sure but for everyone else nah.
I feel like you need to finish the show/movie before you can rate it.
Apr 29, 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
In this context of a complete show/season I'll say no, after all how can someone re-view something if they haven't finished viewing it in the first place.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Apr 29, 11:04 PM

Oct 2023
If you write preliminary reviews, you are a silly billy.

Drop it if you must, but don't act like you have the knowledge base to speak on the quality of something as a whole without finishing it.
Apr 29, 11:08 PM

Feb 2020
"Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?"

Definitely not always.
Apr 29, 11:16 PM
Sep 2013
Reply to AniMarter

They do not work as reviews of the entire series and should not be treated as equal to those that review the whole thing.
AniMarter said:

This.

There is some amount of validity in the former because a show shouldn't take half a season to be good/watchable. But it's definitely not valid as a review of the entire thing.

xqXpx said:
usually you don't need that much to know where things are going

What you are describing is not a review but rather someone talking out their ass. There are plenty of shows that indeed change for better or worse down the line.
Apr 29, 11:42 PM

May 2018

They are valid...for exactly those 3 episodes. Nothing beyond.
And usually those first episodes are made to hook you up, than the quality drops a bit. Anybody reading said review should account for such possibility. Of course the quality can drop after only one episode or not drop at all...
alshuApr 29, 11:53 PM
Apr 29, 11:54 PM

May 2022
i mean reviews are never valid when the reviewer didn't finish the show (except for one piece lol)
Apr 29, 11:55 PM

May 2022
Reply to alshu

They are valid...for exactly those 3 episodes. Nothing beyond.
And usually those first episodes are made to hook you up, than the quality drops a bit. Anybody reading said review should account for such possibility. Of course the quality can drop after only one episode or not drop at all...
@alshu i find this quality thing to be untrue sometimes.
Apr 29, 11:59 PM

Oct 2021
You can review one episode on its own, but 3 episodes aren't enough to review an anime properly in 99.9% of the time. Shows will change their direction, something might happen which you haven't thought about, etc..
Apr 30, 12:21 AM

Jul 2021
depends on what the review is. we can never know how good the story might become later on but we can tell how good the production quality and other objective things are. its valid for those things but invalid regarding the story and its content.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 30, 12:23 AM

May 2018
trinitroglycerin said:
i find this quality thing to be untrue sometimes.

I said "usually", also added "the quality can drop after only one episode or not drop at all"...did you missed that?

trinitroglycerin said:
except for one piece

And Detective Conan, and Sazae-san and...
Apr 30, 12:27 AM

Apr 2020
If a 3 episode review is only talking about how the show/story/characters are being handled so far, then I'd say there's validity in it.
But if it's already concluding that the entirety of the story is problematic when it's yet to be shown entirely, then there would be a problem in such reviews.

A non-completed review, regardless of the amount of episodes watched, should only consist of things a show has already shown. Things such as pacing, directing, dialogue, character-handling, focus on main story/plot, are some of the things you could already see from the beginning and affect your investment on a show. In that sense, a 3-episode review COULD have some validity.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Apr 30, 12:33 AM

May 2022
Reply to alshu
trinitroglycerin said:
i find this quality thing to be untrue sometimes.

I said "usually", also added "the quality can drop after only one episode or not drop at all"...did you missed that?

trinitroglycerin said:
except for one piece

And Detective Conan, and Sazae-san and...
@alshu my bad. And yeah you're right even though i didn't watch detective conan or sazae san
Apr 30, 1:03 AM

Apr 2012
Don't know what "valid" is supposed to mean, but they're definitely a potentially useful source of information. Important thing is that they don't pretend to be a review of the whole thing.
Apr 30, 1:09 AM

Nov 2019
3 episodes is too long, 1 episode is just enough. That being said, at that point it's either a drop or on-hold scenario if it's not hitting the spot
Apr 30, 2:03 AM

Sep 2018
1) 3-ep reviews make sense when the anime is still airing, otherwise no. Most anime aren't as good as their first few episodes (production issues + the premise either becomes stale or gets abandoned and the story takes a generic turn).

2) Good writing becomes more evident in the long run but don't worry, this usually won't matter because most things aren't well written by definition.
Apr 30, 2:09 AM

Sep 2016
I don't care much about reviews in general, even less about preliminary ones, except the Anime has lots of episodes.

Also if an Anime's 1st episode doesn't make you want to continue, then you should not continue. Watching 2 more episodes for the sake of sticking to this random 3 episode rule is usually a waste of time.
ZarutakuApr 30, 3:00 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 2:23 AM

Nov 2020
3 episodes are enough to have an idea if you might like the anime or not and is generally a good rule of thumb.I usually watch the first 3 episodes to see if the anime has any potential to entertain me but I dont think 3 epsidoes are enough to give a review about the anime
Apr 30, 2:25 AM
Mar 2017
IMO i can’t do this most of the time , simply bc I watch long anime ( many seasons or still ongoing ) so in no way a 3 eps review is enough, sometimes not even 10-15 tbh

But if I’m watching a 24eps anime , then 6 eps are enough for me to know if I’m going to like it or not especially if Ik its second half might be even better

And for a simple 12 eps anime … I watch the whole thing cause for me its just like a movie for how short It is
Apr 30, 2:46 AM

Feb 2024
I avoid reading reviews because they often contain spoilers and bias, regardless of the number of episodes they cover. In my opinion, three episodes don't provide enough insight. Personally, I always give a series a fair chance by watching at least five episodes before deciding whether to continue, even if it seems like total junk at first. Many series start slowly and improve over time (though, unfortunately, the reverse can also be true).
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 30, 6:21 AM

May 2021
GoatPieceLuffy said:
99.9% of the time, I don't think so.

I seriously don't think 3 episodes are enough to review an anime or even live action tv-shows.

What do y'all think?

Is it becoming a problem on MyAnimeList?

Fair enough if you think that, you have the choice not to read reviews you think are based on too little eps, but just like you are free not to read those reviews, others are free to write those reviews if they wish

I personally think all reviews are valid, even 1 ep reviews (reason i dislike the latest review update of minimum 3 eps), so long as those reviews are taken as what they are, initial impressions of a show

It seems pretty obvious to me that a preliminary review covers the eps watched and not the whole show, i seriously don't understand why people would have a problem with this when each review states how much was watched
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Apr 30, 6:22 AM

Mar 2023
Maybe we should have individual episode reviews instead?
Apr 30, 6:28 AM

Mar 2013
It depends, but overall yes. I will say series like Wataten and Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out became much more bearable after the 4th episode. To quote a Goodreads reviewer, if the first 400 pages are not entertaining or well-written, what can one expect of the next 400 pages? I think there is a certain amount of "start-up" where the anime or really any series should be able to present its case for why you should read this work, why this work is worth reading.

I do not think any anime can necessarily redeem 11 boring episodes with an exciting or well-written finale. If you have 11 episodes, you should be able to craft a story, narrative, and characters within those 11 episodes so that it is not boring or poorly written. If one cannot, maybe one is bad at writing? I am of the opinion that even introductory chapters or setup can be exciting, and any part where a creator fails to do so is usually the fault of the creator, rather than any intrinsic lack of action for a given narrative.

In short, I do not think any point within a story has to be lacking in interesting aspects or compelling or fun characters, and that one should reasonably expect a show to "be good" within the first few episodes.
Apr 30, 6:38 AM

Apr 2021
There is a preliminary tag just for that

You'll need reviews for airing shows too
Apr 30, 9:08 AM

May 2019
For seasonal anime yes, for long running anime, no.
Apr 30, 9:33 AM

Nov 2019
Anyways, OP must be blind not to see the 'Preliminary' tag attached to those.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 30, 9:55 AM

Jun 2016
I turn to reviews not to find out if something is worth watching, I'll decide that for myself.

I turn to them to figure out if I'm deciding for the right reasons.
If my criticisms are genuine.
If there's a reason it "didn't engage me".
If hoping it gets better later was a mistake all along (as it always is).

The idea that people are reading reviews to figure out if something is worth watching is absurd. They already know by the time they read the reviews. Reviews are an analysis, and you can analyze a show plenty well after just three episodes.
Apr 30, 10:11 AM

Jan 2021
For a truly critical review? No, and I think to properly review something you need to watch it all the way through, whether you like it or not. However, I do think preliminary reviews can serve as a personal critique. Maybe something rubbed you the wrong way or you found an anime so bad early on that you need to write about it before finishing, regardless of whether you go on to finish it or not.

Apr 30, 5:24 PM
Jul 2012
A 3-episode review is perfectly valid for shows that last three episodes. :P

Should it actually be labeled an early impressions article instead? Perhaps. In the absence of a better labeling system, a solid review should at least give readers a good sense of what a piece of media is like and then provide a recommendation. The entirety of the media doesn't always have to be finished, but it certainly helps when one has the fullest picture possible. What is important is how the reader approaches a review. If they can get a sense of whether they'll like something based on a few episodes already, then a 3-episode review is fine for them. If they need the whole series/season to be out first so that a more complete review can be written, then they'll have to be fine with waiting until that point. Both are valid.

As for me, I usually don't bother with anime reviews. I just read descriptions, maybe watch a trailer, and if the premise is interesting enough, I find out for myself.
Apr 30, 5:34 PM
May 2012
It depends on the anime, if the anime is a dinner at a restaurant that offers appetizer, first course, second course, dessert and you eat only the appetizer your review is valid only for the appetizer, if instead the anime is a dinner in pizzeria where the menu only includes pizza, tasting even just a slice of the pizza and reviewing that slice of pizza is still valid because the rest will not change.
Apr 30, 5:39 PM

Apr 2020
I definitely don’t think so, it’s not even a third of a 1 cour anime, so it seems a little unfair tbh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 5:46 PM
Mar 2017
To get in first sure.

But in some cases it depends on the series. Some in episode 1 will be brief on certain events then change, it could be a flashback it could be some 'we will come back to this later' or some other catchy approach to suck the viewer in or just dump a bunch on them exposition wise or whatever action then more calmer moments.

Many introductions can vary. It can be just an arc format or it can be a 'Hi I'm running from them' this is the catch up and shifts during the rest of episode 1 onwards. Maybe more a movie thing but can still happen in a tv show.

Or like with some shows you go "Oh that's what it meant compared to the premise description'. As sometimes they just aren't clear. You may think it's something when it's something else either lighter or deeper on how it handles a subject matter.

Others change by episode 4 and really get started or go yeah episode 3 was just that, 4 is when it really starts, tricked you viewers.

It is really hard to tell but some series make it clear what they are going for. Sometimes in 3 episodes you go oh it's episodic, or sometimes all 3 episodes are self contained.

While others the first arc of a light novel for example (or something with a clear direction of arcs) has ended by episode 3 and the next arc starts by episode 4.

Each series is completely different so you can sometimes tell but in some cases you can't. Some series make their arcs clear, others just move on like it was always continuous.
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 30, 6:00 PM
Apr 30, 6:05 PM

Jun 2020
For seasonal anime that are currently airing I think so, because the best time to watching an anime is when its coming out and you want an impression if its worth the time to join in

For a completed series I say no
Apr 30, 6:22 PM

Dec 2020
No, not in the least. How can you possibly review something if you've only seen a fraction of it?
If you've only seen x amount of episodes you could review up to that point, but there is no way you can definitively say "this show is good/bad" if you haven't seen the entire how.

Some shows have a really slow start, that set up the characters and the world for a very impactful second half. Some shows start off with a really interesting hook, and then kind of drop the ball and don't do much with it. Some shows are really great for the most part, and then have one episode where everything seems to defy all logic and common sense.

It's just stupid to review something with having only seen a part of it.
Apr 30, 6:58 PM

Mar 2016
Those are called "impression" rather than proper review for me

Apr 30, 7:25 PM

Mar 2024
I think it's fine but not great. If a show turned you off after three episodes, someone else might save an hour of their life they would have otherwise not enjoyed. Especially with concurrent anime. If only three episodes of an anime are released and you think they suck, I'll believe that anime can be skipped for now. But if you wanna be a critic worth their salt you should finish the anime and tell me why the rest sucked too.
Also really depends on the length of the anime.
May 2, 12:38 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to RioAl
RioAl said:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on how I view them.

If they're individual episodes, aka 1 ep at a time, then it can be considered a review or sort.
May 2, 1:25 PM

Jan 2008
Depending on length, I'd say reviews are valid when they're halfway through the show. Obviously this isn't the case with stuff like one piece that would be overboard, but 12 episode shows is fine
Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes...just be an illusion...
May 2, 10:24 PM

Jul 2014
Preliminary reviews are perfectly fine since they're worth reading if you want to get a feel for whether or not you'd like an ongoing show, but they shouldn't be seen as definitive as the story and show haven't finished yet.
Take care of yourself

May 3, 3:49 AM

Jul 2016
Coming from someone who used to make preliminary reviews and who's most popular review is a preliminary review, I think they're pretty pointless after the anime has finished airing lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 3 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

106 by KitsuFrost »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

65 by TheSunLife »»
6 minutes ago

» help

arhttr - 1 hour ago

9 by Codric »»
8 minutes ago

» ๐ŸŒŸAnime Questionnaire 2024 v1๐ŸŒŸ

GoatPieceLuffy - May 19

24 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 2 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
12 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.