Forum Settings
Forums

Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 26, 6:48 PM

Jul 2012
Probably Fate/Zero because of the subjective reasoning involved in whether to watch it before or after Fate/Stay Night, and then on top of that there's Original or UBW.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Apr 26, 8:59 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to epidemia78
they all come highly recommended. Although most of them might present a challenge for non-weebs.
@epidemia78
Code Geass is too weeb for me.
Steins;Gate is not as weeb as I expected it too be.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 9:01 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Deknijff
I guess when it really comes down to it, it would be To Aru. Not that I don't recommend it as much as my other favs but its the one I hesitate the most because next thing I know its a uphill battle to recommend the person to watch it in chronological order instead of release order which they are more inclined to do because its easier which I find annoying as a fan
@Deknijff
Why do you recommend chronological order? Hardcore fans will kill you for that. I feel the 1st Index arc makes for the best introduction to the franchise, but I don't really care beyond that.
その目だれの目?
Apr 26, 9:29 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to Lucifrost
@epidemia78
@Lucifrost

it's funny when hardcore nerds get filtered by Code Geass
Apr 26, 9:34 PM

Jan 2019
I guess it would be Fate/Zero, it has a much darker tone and might be somewhat complicated at first without understanding the premise of the show. There's also the watch order issue, but it's fine to start with Fate/Zero.

But for new anime fan, I would recommend the other 4 shows in my favs rather than Fate/Zero even though personally I do think it's the greatest anime ever made.
Apr 26, 10:23 PM

Mar 2024
K-on! because not everyone likes the level of moe that I do. Even Madoka is too cute for some people.
Apr 26, 10:37 PM

Oct 2014
It all depends on the person I'm talking to. I think FMAB is the one I recommend the least just because it's already so popular that I don't feel like it needs my help to shill it, plus whoever I might be recommending anime to probably either has already seen it or has a good reason for why they haven't tried it yet.
Apr 26, 10:38 PM

Oct 2013
Easy. Vinland Saga because of the huge tonal shift between seasons. I could kinda say the same for Space Dandy, but Vinland Saga is a better example.

I could also say Death Note for spoiler reasons that tend to sour a lot of people on the series.

Actually shit, I could think of a reason for basically every favorite.

Steins;Gate because of it's slower pace. Samurai Champloo for more or less not having an actual plot. Jojo part 5 because you have to sit through all the previous parts, and they're way too manly and heterosexual for the average viewer.
Apr 27, 2:19 AM
pookie

Nov 2015
fate/stay night series bc there is just too many seasons and movies and spin offs, i dont want them to get sucked into it also the original fate/stay night has such bad animation
beastars bc id get labelled as a furry rawr
Apr 27, 10:30 AM
Feb 2024
Danganronpa because it's not of any good quality, it's just fun. However I'd be fine recommending any of my favorites to people.
Apr 27, 11:02 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
@Deknijff
Why do you recommend chronological order? Hardcore fans will kill you for that. I feel the 1st Index arc makes for the best introduction to the franchise, but I don't really care beyond that.
@Lucifrost I feel Railgun despite not being as good as Index builds up the city really good and gives better context of Misaka's and Touma's relationship which is an important part of the series along with building up Kuroko which will make Index 1 better as a watching experience instead of it being in hindsight/reflection
then there is the benefit of being able to watch half of Railgun T along with Index II so that when you've reached a certain point of Index III you can then finish Railgun T without having a weird several month time skip mid season
Apr 27, 11:21 AM

Jan 2022
I think people should not have me recommend anime to them, because i'm me.
Apr 27, 11:52 AM

May 2021
I can find a reason not to recommend anything lol my favorites can be quite different, so it's rather situational, but if we're talking like "the hardest to recommend to almost everyone", then I see two options:

1). Texhnolyze. If it didn't click with them immediately, I think a lot of people wouldn't be able to get through the first ~8 episodes of it because they're probably some of the slowest episodes I've ever encountered in anime so far (if not the slowest), and what some people see as simply "slow" others will see as "utterly boring", depending on their initial reaction. I'd rather "probe" a person with something that could be considered similar in some aspects before recommending Texhnolyze, even though it doesn't guarantee any correlation. I'd absolutely never recommend it before Lain, for example, which makes it an additional obstacle.
I don't think that it explores anything that I think people would consider explicitly controversial.

2). Sailor Moon SuperS. Not only it'd be strongly recommended to watch the 3 previous Sailor Moon seasons, it's also the season that people usually like the least and bash it for the lack of any progression. And I'd assume it's not easy to rope people into watching something like Sailor Moon to begin with, especially considering that all 5 seasons have 200 episodes, which may take a while to even get to SuperS (Season 4) lol
Well, aside from a girl being technically in love with the horse, I don't think there is anything controversial here lol unless people consider a crossdressing guy to be a controversy or something. I don't know, I'm not other people, so it's for them to decide after they watch it.

But usually, it all depends on who is asking. Something like Code Geass or Death Note would probably go nicely for newcomers or people who just want to be entertained above everything else. For "brooding" people something like Lain or Boogiepop (2000 version) would probably be a nice recommendation, while for someone who'd be prone to view something tragic through the lens of romantic melancholy, maybe I'd go with Casshern Sins, Aoi Bungaku or my beloved Wolf's Rain instead. For people who'd be able to appreciate simple topics presented in an interesting way, maybe I'd go with Kino's Journey (2003 version) and Mushishi. And so on.

In any case, I never considered myself good when it comes to giving recommendations, so I never expect people to enjoy what I recommend lol
Apr 27, 12:34 PM

Jun 2019
-YaoiBoy- said:
I'd absolutely never recommend it before Lain, for example, which makes it an additional obstacle.

Is Lain more accessible? I ask because I find it interesting since I considered Lain probably the most inaccessible thing I've ever watched. At least as far as anime series go. That's not intended as an inherent negative or criticism of it; it's one of my favorite shows and part of a select club of anime I've given a 10/10 to, but still just straightforward observation that it definitely felt that way. I can imagine many folks being extremely bored, having no patience for it, and no interest in anything it talks about or explores in the way that it does.
Apr 27, 1:28 PM

Mar 2024
wonder egg priority
fell apart 10 episodes in, and a lot of people say it's too edgy like that makes it bad or something. most of my friends don't enjoy the magical girl genre so i doubt they'd enjoy it. also deals with some pretty heavy stuff.

the promised neverland
great first season but holy fucking shit just go read the manga after that. please i am begging you just do not watch the second season it is unbelievably god-awful

made in abyss
it genuinely has such good worldbuilding and horror elements, and i think it would be great for people who enjoy gorier stuff if it didn't sexualize literal children for no reason
Apr 27, 1:37 PM

May 2021
Reply to WatchTillTandava
-YaoiBoy- said:
I'd absolutely never recommend it before Lain, for example, which makes it an additional obstacle.

Is Lain more accessible? I ask because I find it interesting since I considered Lain probably the most inaccessible thing I've ever watched. At least as far as anime series go. That's not intended as an inherent negative or criticism of it; it's one of my favorite shows and part of a select club of anime I've given a 10/10 to, but still just straightforward observation that it definitely felt that way. I can imagine many folks being extremely bored, having no patience for it, and no interest in anything it talks about or explores in the way that it does.
@WatchTillTandava Well, at least it felt more accessible to me :) and I've also seen other people having a similar opinion from time to time. I haven't re-watched either yet, but I felt more satisfied with Lain during my first experience, although I'm not sure if it's simply because I found it to be easier to comprehend and digest, I liked the structure more, or there were more themes that resonated with me (and I managed to understand) or something else - no idea. Regardless, I'd definitely agree that it's probably one of the most inaccessible anime series out there :) I think that re-watching it will be very fun and rewarding, so I usually try to avoid any in-depth analysis that might give me a new perspective, since I want to see what I'll discover and gain from it when I'll watch it the 2nd time.
A bit off-topic, but I wonder what you'll think of Casshern Sins when you get to it.

The other reason is that Lain is also shorter, while having a similar atmosphere, at the very least. So, if I can ask someone to watch Lain first and see a particular reaction, then I can make certain conclusions, BUT I've also seen many people who didn't enjoy Texhnolyze nearly as much as Lain and vice versa, so I guess it's a flawed method of trying to determine such things.

I kind of look at both and think 'what kind of an overall impact these series had on me and what did I gain by watching them?", which is a very generalized approach. In that sense, they seem very similar to me, but maybe some person would go a lot further and break both series down to the core, compare them in many different and detailed ways and decide that one is inferior to the other because of this, this and this etc. Therefore, I can imagine someone having radically different views on both series.

I put a strong accent on the shared atmosphere because I think that it's important when it comes to getting engaged. If Lain's atmosphere got someone engaged and interested from the very beginning, encouraged to pay attention and try to untangle all the things set up in the 1st half when they get to the 2nd half etc., then I think there is simply a higher chance that Texhnolyze might have a similar effect, despite them being different series. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but I'm just judging from my own experience: it's a lot less interesting to become engaged with something that failed to capture my attention. It's like "okay, I think I managed to understand a lot of what this series is trying to say, but why the hell should I even care, if my heart is not in it?". So, I prioritize things like atmosphere and initial engagement over the actual themes and structure.

It's kind of what happened when I watched Kaiba back in January. Even though you seem to love it, I'm sure you can at least imagine how someone could be put-off by the art style or presentation and then, like a snowball effect, it'd lead to "don't want to feel anything, don't want to think about anything - just want to enjoy what I still can and finish it" and feeling disappointed. I was upset about not liking it as much as I hoped and didn't want to watch anything after it lol and then got distracted by other non-anime related things. Basically, I was "cockblocked" lol who knows what my reaction to Kaiba could've been if it just was slightly different in several aspects. And that's how I view Lain and Texhnolyze too: if someone gets "cockblocked" by Lain's oppressive atmosphere, then why would that person want to engage with Texhnolyze, if they're so similar in that regard? But I guess it only applies to people who perceive things similarly to me, of course, and I'm sure many people pay attention to other things and not to atmosphere or some feeling-based or aesthetic-based elements that can make or break the whole experience.
-YaoiBoy-Apr 27, 1:48 PM
Apr 27, 1:58 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/DesolatePsyche?status=2&tag=TOPFAV

I mean most of my favorites for one or another reason I wouldn't to specific target groups or simply because some are simply personal for rather personal reasons that probably wouldn't be as amazing or understood aside to myself.

But probably 1 of my favorites I wouldn't really recommend is monogatari franchise, as it's rather niche in it's content diversity that wouldn't be understood from typical viewers I guess.

To-love-Ru I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless they enjoy ecchi. Same with kiss X sis

Gintama I wouldn't recommend for people who don't appreciate random/bizarre humor.

etc......

Apr 27, 4:03 PM

Apr 2024
I'd go with Sonny boy
It's a weirder show
I don't want to say darker or go with the theme "You just don't understand.. it's so deep!" But I wouldn't expect many people to like it as much as I did

Alien Stage is a close runner up though. It's a music based show, and it takes a lot of analysis and rewatching (at least for me) to fully understand!

Watamote is funny, but it's also a cringe comedy to the extreme and I wouldn't recommend it to the general population for sure
Apr 27, 4:56 PM

Dec 2020
UBW and Fate/Zero are easy to recommend, but getting people to watch any more of fate is a really tough sell.
Apr 27, 5:14 PM

Jun 2007
MahoAko for obvious reasons, heh. Also Dance in the Vampire Bund. I like almost anything vampire, but given how often they like to undress Mina, it's definitely not something I'd recommend to anyone lol. Well, unless I know they like lolis :)
Apr 27, 5:28 PM

Jul 2017
Mushoku Tensei and Monogatari for obvious reasons lol, don't need to elaborate too much on that.

Another one would probably be Major. It isn't very controversial, but it is 150+ episodes of a baseball sports anime, which is focused on one main character's journey and not a consistent team like the appeal of the most popular sports anime for people to watch and it doesn't have god tier visuals either. The main character is a compelling but flawed one that can be a prick to people because of how overly talented he is compared to others and forces himself to be in the most chaotic situations possible in the first couple seasons to be better. For people I know who already find sports anime to be a niche with only seeing a couple like Haikyuu and Kuroko to name a couple, this isn't the most appealing sell in the world to a good amount of people I know that see anime, whether in-person or online.
Apr 28, 2:10 AM

Jan 2023
That's a very interesting question.
In my case I'd say either Saekano or Isekai Ojisan.

For Saekano, the 'problem' is that I feel a lot of the information, emotions, relationships evolution and even the comedy are transmitted by relatively subtle things like the body language of the characters, inflexions in the voice acting, camera angles, and fairly long dialogues: it is probably my favorite series ever nowadays, but it is basically a series that has grown on me, I found new things to appreciate/understand on pretty much every rewatch.

For Isekai Ojisan, the 'problem' would be that a lot of the humor is parody of stuff like isekai/video games/otaku culture in general, which might make it difficult to recommend to someone new or relatively new to anime.
Apr 28, 2:54 AM

Apr 2024
Probably Boku no Pico.

Then again, I'm recommending it all the time.
But people generally take it as a joke...
Apr 28, 3:38 AM

May 2019
Aikatsu! Not really sure if I want to recommend a show about selling cards for little girls especially it's an idol show and has a ton of episodes spanning over 4 seasons. Not to mention it's first few episodes has terrible cg look in its performances. Luckily it develop over time and they look really stunning in later seasons. I might never really like idol shows but this one has to be exception.

Apr 28, 3:45 AM

Jan 2024
Kara no Kyoukai. It is TYPE-MOON's best series ever and I will forever stand by that but even then, it contains a lot of aspects that not many people will be familiar with regardless of personal anime experiences, such as how it creates symbolism that is designed to not be taken seriously. I'm not really sure if I can recommend a movie series that contains some of the most over-the-top fashion of figurative structures one would ever hope for to someone.

A similar case goes to Revue Starlight. Idol anime as a whole is a big hit-or-miss and Revstar, despite arguably being the best of all of that, is no exception. Again, I'm not sure if I can recommend this to people who have mixed feelings about Idol as a whole.
Apr 28, 1:49 PM

Mar 2022
Monogatari series 100 percent the moment something weird happens there gonna give me a look prolly like "wtf is this"
Apr 29, 2:38 AM

Aug 2021
Fairy Tail and Edens Zero,
Most of the people that I recommended it to say it's a cringe freindship show for horny 10 Year old kids
Apr 29, 3:50 AM

Aug 2023
Probably Mo Dao Zu Shi, because:
1. It's Chinese (this community sometimes has weird hostility towards Chinese animation)
2. It's BL (not everyone likes this kind of theme)

Though it solely depends on the person, because if they wouldn't mind those aspects, I'd definitely recommend it to them.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ❝ if our love died, would that be the worst thing? ❞ㅤ▬▬▬▬▬ㅤ // ㅤart by: miu_akatsuki
Apr 29, 4:08 AM

Jul 2021
Interspecies Reviewers if need to look them in the eye afterwards.
Apr 29, 4:28 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@epidemia78
@Lucifrost Strongly disagree, I found Steins;Gate way more cringe, the protagonist especially makes it hard to watch. The big upgrade in Steins;Gate 0 was that he was so depressed he didn't have the energy to be cringe.
Apr 29, 4:48 AM

Feb 2021
Probably Sakura Trick. While it's wholesome yuri it can be too spicy sometimes.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 29, 4:50 AM

May 2013
im never recommending loveless to anyone... it's something like "you just had to be there"
Apr 29, 5:02 AM
Apr 2020
Kuroshitsuji. The stories and characters are stupid/hard to follow sometimes and they add in a lot of random stuff not in the manga (esp. s2). Got a lot of vibes I feel a lot of people wouldn't enjoy too. Like I kinda felt embarrassed watching it with my partner haha. But all in all, I love it all the same.
Apr 29, 5:16 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (SZS). It's my favorite anime of all time, but

1. It's a parody/it parodies many other anime, books, etc. It's hard to recommend parody since a lot of the enjoyment depends on actually being familiar with what's being parodied. It's also satirizes or at least references a lot of events, daily life, politicians, and celebrities mostly in Japan, so if you know nothing about any of that then it's an anime you're likely going to have to do a lot of extra research for in order to fully understand. I think that's more a thing for the manga than the anime, but still. Personally, I enjoyed looking into subjects and learning more and more about everything. The official English translated manga would sometimes go out of their way to explain certain things in the back of the manga (which would help with the anime), but later volumes mostly by Kodansha USA started to skimp on those notes, so you really had to start looking into a lot on your own. The anime was finally released legally in English recently and holy moly it came with a whole book of references/notes! All that being said, I don't think I know too many other people who would be happy to do all that extra reading. I love it, and I know other fans exist, but I don't know what their process is. Best for me not to recommend. Additionally, not anime-beginner friendly for sure.

2. It gets wordy. Most of the anime is honestly ranting about society or something that leaves mc in despair while also listing points/examples. I think most people I meet don't like reading THAT much text. They're not against subtitles, but I think they'd call it quits if they saw they'd probably need to pause the anime just to be able to read everything. My mom usually doesn't like subtitles at all, so I know she wouldn't bite.

3. Nowadays, a lot of the content wouldn't fly with most of the people I know. We've got a teacher who frequently attempts to hang himself on screen (they'd probably say "glorification of suicide"), panty flashes, minors in something something sexualized something something, yadda-- there are things that people would tell me I need to do a trigger warning for but honestly I wouldn't even know where to start. I just don't bother recommending it. I think I was able to recommend it to someone asking for black comedy once, but yeah that's about it.

4. Art and animation. Some don't like the art style. Kumeta is great at art that is simple yet beautiful. Leonardo da Vinci once said, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is great example of that. However, I know that many don't understand or appreciate that. They'd see the art in SZS and think it's too simple or something. Additionally, SZS has a unique style of limited animation-- it's one of them Akiyuki Shinbo-directed babies before that post-Madoka budget. Sure, Bakemonogatari has a lot of fans, but SZS doesn't have the whole character development and more conventionally cute girls thing going for it, so it's a little harder to convince people to give it a shot. Some folks wouldn't be down. I can't even convince a lot of people to watch a lot of unique-looking anime in general.

There are probably other reasons too, but yeah it's a hard anime to sell. I'd love for more people to be into it, but...

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 29, 7:51 AM

Jun 2019
Many good and thoughtful answers thus far.

I just realized a tiny oversight where I initially neglected to post my own prime candidate in that respect. Although I may have just forgot or was typing other things and didn't feel like it at the time. Anyway, I'm just going to copy/paste my own answer from the other similar thread topic pertaining to recommendations recently started by someone else.

Mine is my love, Koi Kaze.

Reasoning: Because it's a transgressive romance which centers around incest first and foremost and also, kind of secondarily, an age gap relationship. And unlike almost all other anime, it doesn't play it for shock and gag humor like some ecchi and harem series, nor for sexual titillation and pornographic value like hentai which feature it. And in Western film and television even, I rarely see it apart from either similarly used as comedy or occasionally, as grotesque horror among inbred cannibals and similar villains in slasher flicks. It's actually a serious romantic drama and virtually one of a kind in that respect.

Also unlike many anime which utilize the concept, there is no cop-out. It is two biologically-related full-blooded siblings with the exact same biological mother and father. No tricks, bullshit, and playing around with it, like one was adopted, both were adopted, they are stepsiblings with parents who remarried from previous marriages, or even half-siblings with one different parent. Or distant fourth cousin. Full siblings and basically the closest relationship you can get in an immediate family besides parent-child (not genetically), which personally (the parent one) isn't really my thing. Therefore, it would have to be approached by checking one of the most cemented and entrenched, fundamental, longstanding taboos in modern human society and all preconceptions at the door, which many are simply unable and/or unwilling to do as they feel as if it challenges their values and worldview, which some hold sacred. Fortunately for me I do not share those values and don't care about them so I can just enjoy and appreciate this great art with an open mind and heart, just as I initially approached it.
Apr 29, 7:54 AM

Jul 2013
I probably won't recommend Senran Kagura or Hyperdimension Neptunia to other people.
Apr 29, 8:55 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Swiggy
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (SZS). It's my favorite anime of all time, but

1. It's a parody/it parodies many other anime, books, etc. It's hard to recommend parody since a lot of the enjoyment depends on actually being familiar with what's being parodied. It's also satirizes or at least references a lot of events, daily life, politicians, and celebrities mostly in Japan, so if you know nothing about any of that then it's an anime you're likely going to have to do a lot of extra research for in order to fully understand. I think that's more a thing for the manga than the anime, but still. Personally, I enjoyed looking into subjects and learning more and more about everything. The official English translated manga would sometimes go out of their way to explain certain things in the back of the manga (which would help with the anime), but later volumes mostly by Kodansha USA started to skimp on those notes, so you really had to start looking into a lot on your own. The anime was finally released legally in English recently and holy moly it came with a whole book of references/notes! All that being said, I don't think I know too many other people who would be happy to do all that extra reading. I love it, and I know other fans exist, but I don't know what their process is. Best for me not to recommend. Additionally, not anime-beginner friendly for sure.

2. It gets wordy. Most of the anime is honestly ranting about society or something that leaves mc in despair while also listing points/examples. I think most people I meet don't like reading THAT much text. They're not against subtitles, but I think they'd call it quits if they saw they'd probably need to pause the anime just to be able to read everything. My mom usually doesn't like subtitles at all, so I know she wouldn't bite.

3. Nowadays, a lot of the content wouldn't fly with most of the people I know. We've got a teacher who frequently attempts to hang himself on screen (they'd probably say "glorification of suicide"), panty flashes, minors in something something sexualized something something, yadda-- there are things that people would tell me I need to do a trigger warning for but honestly I wouldn't even know where to start. I just don't bother recommending it. I think I was able to recommend it to someone asking for black comedy once, but yeah that's about it.

4. Art and animation. Some don't like the art style. Kumeta is great at art that is simple yet beautiful. Leonardo da Vinci once said, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is great example of that. However, I know that many don't understand or appreciate that. They'd see the art in SZS and think it's too simple or something. Additionally, SZS has a unique style of limited animation-- it's one of them Akiyuki Shinbo-directed babies before that post-Madoka budget. Sure, Bakemonogatari has a lot of fans, but SZS doesn't have the whole character development and more conventionally cute girls thing going for it, so it's a little harder to convince people to give it a shot. Some folks wouldn't be down. I can't even convince a lot of people to watch a lot of unique-looking anime in general.

There are probably other reasons too, but yeah it's a hard anime to sell. I'd love for more people to be into it, but...
Swiggy said:

This goes hand in hand with your 1st point of the show being satire, because satire is not meant to be politically correct.
その目だれの目?
Apr 29, 10:40 AM

Jan 2023
Probably xxxHOLIC. Unless you really like Japanese folklore and don't mind the awkward character designs, you might be not interested in it. I think it's very funny and has such likable characters
死人に口なし
Apr 29, 12:18 PM

Feb 2021
My Dress Up Darling. As much as I love it, it's probably the only anime that you won't watch with the family in my list lmao. There are certain scenes which even I admit are pretty "sus" Plus with the negative attitude towards anime, I can see why non anime watchers or even anime viewers would consider it to be red flags.

Also Quintessential Quintuplets, for similar reasons. But I wouldn't say it's on the same level as MDUD

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Apr 29, 12:23 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Many good and thoughtful answers thus far.

I just realized a tiny oversight where I initially neglected to post my own prime candidate in that respect. Although I may have just forgot or was typing other things and didn't feel like it at the time. Anyway, I'm just going to copy/paste my own answer from the other similar thread topic pertaining to recommendations recently started by someone else.

Mine is my love, Koi Kaze.

Reasoning: Because it's a transgressive romance which centers around incest first and foremost and also, kind of secondarily, an age gap relationship. And unlike almost all other anime, it doesn't play it for shock and gag humor like some ecchi and harem series, nor for sexual titillation and pornographic value like hentai which feature it. And in Western film and television even, I rarely see it apart from either similarly used as comedy or occasionally, as grotesque horror among inbred cannibals and similar villains in slasher flicks. It's actually a serious romantic drama and virtually one of a kind in that respect.

Also unlike many anime which utilize the concept, there is no cop-out. It is two biologically-related full-blooded siblings with the exact same biological mother and father. No tricks, bullshit, and playing around with it, like one was adopted, both were adopted, they are stepsiblings with parents who remarried from previous marriages, or even half-siblings with one different parent. Or distant fourth cousin. Full siblings and basically the closest relationship you can get in an immediate family besides parent-child (not genetically), which personally (the parent one) isn't really my thing. Therefore, it would have to be approached by checking one of the most cemented and entrenched, fundamental, longstanding taboos in modern human society and all preconceptions at the door, which many are simply unable and/or unwilling to do as they feel as if it challenges their values and worldview, which some hold sacred. Fortunately for me I do not share those values and don't care about them so I can just enjoy and appreciate this great art with an open mind and heart, just as I initially approached it.
@WatchTillTandava have you seen Yosuga no Sora then. And what are your thoughts on it if you have? It's similar to what you just mentioned

Apr 29, 12:27 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to TheFlyingSoda
Kara no Kyoukai. It is TYPE-MOON's best series ever and I will forever stand by that but even then, it contains a lot of aspects that not many people will be familiar with regardless of personal anime experiences, such as how it creates symbolism that is designed to not be taken seriously. I'm not really sure if I can recommend a movie series that contains some of the most over-the-top fashion of figurative structures one would ever hope for to someone.

A similar case goes to Revue Starlight. Idol anime as a whole is a big hit-or-miss and Revstar, despite arguably being the best of all of that, is no exception. Again, I'm not sure if I can recommend this to people who have mixed feelings about Idol as a whole.
TheFlyingSoda said:
Kara no Kyoukai. It is TYPE-MOON's best series ever and I will forever stand by that but even then, it contains a lot of aspects that not many people will be familiar with regardless of personal anime experiences, such as how it creates symbolism that is designed to not be taken seriously. I'm not really sure if I can recommend a movie series that contains some of the most over-the-top fashion of figurative structures one would ever hope for to someone

I'm watching it rn because I found it's Ost and loved it. Though I wouldn't say it's my favorite. It has some really interesting themes and Shiki is super cool. Pfp material

Apr 29, 1:22 PM

Jul 2021
Chrno Crusade, I think most people wouldn't like the animation style a s the story... Also, I can get a little possessive around it...
Apr 29, 8:26 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Reply to Lucifrost
Swiggy said:

This goes hand in hand with your 1st point of the show being satire, because satire is not meant to be politically correct.
@Lucifrost Actually yes, you're right that it does go hand in hand. I hesitate to recommend any satire in general as I think of it. I can't quite trust if someone will pick up that something is satire or not these days.

Apr 29, 9:43 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Swiggy
@Lucifrost Actually yes, you're right that it does go hand in hand. I hesitate to recommend any satire in general as I think of it. I can't quite trust if someone will pick up that something is satire or not these days.
@Swiggy
I see you've also watched Humanity Has Declined.
その目だれの目?
Apr 29, 11:13 PM

Dec 2020
From my anime favorites it would probably be Wonder Egg Priority because of various reasons. It has by far the worst "general opinion" of those 10 shows and it also is the least mainstream one.
Fro the mangas it wouls be Oshi no Ko because of the weird shit.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Apr 30, 4:17 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Reply to Lucifrost
@Swiggy
I see you've also watched Humanity Has Declined.
@Lucifrost Ho ho ho ho! Yes-- it seems I have a type! Thankfully, I have no problem recommending that one.

Apr 30, 4:19 AM

Jul 2016
Monogatari. Tried too many times, people can't get over either the supernatural elements or the sussy stuff, what a shame.
Apr 30, 5:55 AM

Jul 2014
Probably Legend of the Galactic Heroes due to just how daunting of a series it is to get into. Then again, One Piece is one of the most popular things in the world and it has ten times as many episodes.
Take care of yourself

Apr 30, 7:47 AM

Jun 2019
jieanteater said:
have you seen Yosuga no Sora then. And what are your thoughts on it if you have? It's similar to what you just mentioned

I actually have not, but naturally of course I'm aware of it. This may come as a shock, but despite transgressive romance and sibling pairings in particular being extremely hugely my thing in anime, I'm not actually too interested in it, although that may be due to a superficial understanding (in the same way that I believe both I and everyone else can only have limited, superficial understandings and impressions of any anime in existence before actually physically going through the process of watching them in full). But that understanding and impression for me is based upon what I do know about it. And that is that it is a much more idealized version of the whole situation, going off of the fact that the two main characters are same-age, conventionally attractive twins and it's in part also an ecchi and harem series.

It seems to me more like what those interested in the topic as a fetish would prefer to imagine incest to be like in practice.

One of the aspects about Koi Kaze which I love it the most for is its realism, in such a way that it feels very much unlike almost every other anime I have seen in that regard. Slice of Life is one of my favorite genres and that's probably in part why it used to also have the SoL genre tag on MAL before the big contentious genre, theme, and demographic labeling reorganization shift on MAL and implementation of associated policies stipulating that anime which carried the Drama, Romance, and/or Comedy genre tags couldn't also have the SoL tag. In that respect the closest anime which I have found to it are actually ones that have nothing to do with incest and are also just very grounded and down-to-Earth kind of coming-of age SoL family dramas about other unconventional families, with childcare substituting in in lieu of romance as the main focus and angle taken. And both of those series are also in my Top 20.
WatchTillTandavaApr 30, 8:03 AM
Apr 30, 7:49 AM

Jan 2009
the hentai one since not everybody is ok with porn
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 53 minutes ago

11 by Gashadokur0 »»
51 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9116 by anime-prime »»
7 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Apr 29

34 by Ezeeql »»
7 minutes ago

» help

arhttr - 3 hours ago

22 by KenaiPhoenix »»
10 minutes ago

» Courage the Cowardly Dog Anime

ZakuF_ - 2 hours ago

12 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.