Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 8:27 AM

Jan 2021
"ARISE 🫴"

He finally said it! He said the thing!

I was so hyped when they showed the episode title. They picked the perfect title to end the first season. I have been anticipating that scene, and I knew it was going to peak!
The animators cooked! Vercreek is also here (the animator of that one recent Frieren scene).

Jinwoo is so lucky, plot armor at it's finest.
He's about to almost get killed again, but he gets unintentionally saved by the Daily Quest penalty. Jinwoo can now defeat those giant centipedes and level up more to the point that it's not even a penalty anymore. Then he returns to the Job Change Quest room more recovered.
As he finally finished the quest and received a new role, With the many acumulative points he got during that quest, he already has the Shadow Monarch role. Two job changes in a short time were crazy.
Because of the necromancer role, he can turn everything he kills into summoned shadow soldiers, basically commanding an army of undead. Such a broken skill.
Jinwoo the Shadow Monarch journey is finally here!

Voice actor Taito Ban definitely needs some type of reward at the end of the year. The man was cooking every damn episode.
You can slowly hear the voice actor adjust the maturity of his voice as you see him level up. For someone who loves good voice acting, I like that.
The music, though, by Hiroyuki Sawano never disappoints; I’m more excited for the Attack on Titan like ost.
They did a solid job for this anime adaptation; they even surpass the Manhwa, and it's not even close.

And Season 2 was just announced.
I still can't move on from the Igris fight. I loved the way they showed Igris power. Imagine the future fights.
The previous and this episode set my hopes so high for the future arcs. It gets even crazier from here.
I don't care if this gets delayed many times; just let them cook and allow them to take their time.

YuyuichiMar 30, 9:55 AM

Dec 2021
The most iconic phrase in the history of manhwa: A fucking rise.

Pushed to his limits, Jinwoo triumphs over the Red Knight, Igris, defender of the Empty Throne. As he takes a moment to recover, a new quest window emerges. Exhausted by ceaseless battles, Jinwoo confronts the specter of his former self. Determined to surpass his past as humanity's weakest hunter and become stronger, he seeks the path to conquer the job change quest. After vanquishing his phantoms, he completes the quest, transitioning into the role of a Necromancer.

Jinwoo got lucky, and I find the healing system intriguing. Potions become ineffective under a certain amount of HP. I wonder why Jinwoo didn't do the quest when he woke up. But holy shit... I thought the shadow soldiers would be CGI, but they're fully 2D. Thank you, A-1. They look incredible. And hell yeah, he said the thing... he said "ARISE." Although changing his name from Igris to Igrit... not sure I like that, but whatever. What a way to end it off. Jinwoo will only continue to grow stronger as he levels up now that he's a necromancer. That tease of the Jeju Island arc at the end... YES!!!!

YES, JAPAN, THIS IS HOW YOU ADAPT A MANHWA. What a hell of a show. Couldn't have asked for a better adaptation.

AND THE LEVELING DOESN'T STOP.

https://twitter.com/sololeveling_pr/status/1774096893720846766
IzanaSolosMar 30, 8:56 AM

May 2020
Jin woo’s whole life was kind of.. sad, though now that he finally got the glow-up and powers too at that, he just had to go and fight Igris, and be reduced to that state… sigh. Goodness the penalty from daily quests, otherwise who would’ve known. Loved the bit with those huge scorpions or whatever creatures, getting slashed underneath by Jin woo.

Dude really did go and grind, to grind even more lol. That’s his way, I mean. But the best thing, with the greatness that is, these fight choreographies, we have a bob bgm too, which one way or another, raises the stakes sky-high whenever they start beating themselves in the background. Anyways, job change it was, and job change he got… a NECROMANCER.

That whole sequence with black shadows and all was *chef’s kiss*, though hey, then it came.. the main thing, that five-letter word, and the first appearance of the shadow army. HYPE was real the whole time Jin woo was trying to make Igris his own, and man he did. Igris, a part of SHADOW ARMY now.

This could be the first manhwa adaptation which actually didn’t let us down. I mean this had a reputation, so glad it retained that reputation after this adaptation too. A1 did wonders, without delaying this a season or two lol.

Second season was always inevitable, so good we got an official confirmation. Jeju island will be there, so hype. Anyways, this word has been so overused, that even using it anymore doesn’t give that kick it used to back then lol, but still…

Arise/10

Nov 2011
So they gave Jin-Woo yet another quest right after he defeats that knight. Guy can't a break.

There were also job mechanics associated with necromancy. Seems they're pushing the game's elements in this show in every way possible. That ominous message and job concerned Jin-woo but knowing him now, he isn't afraid to take it. Necromancy is a rather common job in these type of anime so it's a recurring trope. The finale felt kinda like every other episode though imo.

Season 2 got announced (CR actually leaked this again...). No release window yet but hopefully not too delayed.
Mar 30, 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Jinwoo's struggle against an endless summoning of knights for an endurance quest, it's clear that he's feeling the heat.

The Jeju Island raids continue as Jinwoo is doubted of his confidence and strength, as he's sent to the penalty zone for not completing his daily quest, which turns out to be a blessing in disguise this time against knights that he's on the verge of unbeatable. And once again, going for another round, the knights are much easier to handle this time with the Knight Killer sword, summoned by mages through gates to be eliminated for the job-change quest.

Within that twist of victory however, his new job is a hidden class of a necromancer, which he is able to command a shadow army, which while its benefits are too unclear to make a choice, but Jinwoo takes the plunge eitherway, and does not have to do solo leveling again, with all attributes put forward to the max...as a new titled Shadow monarch. And that is his ARISE moment of a shadow army, including Knight Commander Igris, and giving him a new purpose alongside his old name as a reawakened Lv. 7 knight commander.

And let the Jeju Island raids begin...with a twist of this phenomenal adaptation.

Season 2 was pretty much confirmed (thanks CR for leaks), it's very clear that Solo Leveling is too good to pass up with just 1 season alone.

https://twitter.com/sololeveling_en/status/1774089236582408210
KANLen09Mar 31, 6:38 AM
Mar 30, 8:28 AM
Aug 2022
This ended now we need Season 2 Announcement.
Edit- Damm!!! Season 2 Announced Immediately
Ricky16Mar 30, 8:32 AM
Mar 30, 8:33 AM

Jun 2019
Arise moment is finally here. Jinwoo again had another challenge like always. But, he did what he does best. Beating and then getting even more OP. LOL.

But, overall it was certainly the best adaptation out of all the manhwas so far that were adapted. Story-wise, it's whatever, it's a power fantasy after all. So, it's fun to watch his journey and how he gets stronger. A-1 did their best with this and it was pretty good. Definitely enjoyed it. And, we already know there are many seasons already planned. And, just like that, Season 2 also got announced. Looking forward to it.
Mar 30, 9:31 AM
Dec 2022
Okiro! Oh my goodness, did you hear that? He finally said it! The anticipation was killing me, and when they revealed the episode title, I knew it was going to be epic. The animators absolutely nailed it, and having Vercreek on board just added to the excitement!

Talk about plot armor at its finest! Just when he's about to bite the dust again, bam! Saved by the Daily Quest penalty. And now Jinwoo can take on those giant centipedes and level up like crazy, turning that penalty into a blessing in disguise. And then, bam! Two job changes in no time flat. Jinwoo as the Shadow Monarch? It's like a dream come true!

Can we please give Taito Ban some kind of award for his incredible voice acting? The man was on fire every single episode! And did you notice how his voice matured as Jinwoo leveled up? Talk about attention to detail!

And let's not forget about the music by Hiroyuki Sawano. It's like Attack on Titan all over again, and I am here for it!

This anime adaptation has exceeded all expectations, surpassing even the original Manhwa. And now, with Season 2 announced, I can hardly contain my excitement! Igris's fight was just the beginning; I can't wait to see what the future arcs have in store. So what if there are delays? Let's just sit back, relax, and let them work their magic!
Mar 30, 9:46 AM
Oct 2016
First 2 episodes were cool but became more and more lame as time went on.

Jinwoo is the definition of power fantasy for lame bros that want to he badass. Jinwoo is dumb as it gets but still comes out on top for no reason
Mar 30, 9:49 AM

Oct 2017
The japanese version of arise was pretty cool, had power in it. Though yeah not how I imagined it, I thought it would be a bit deeper and calmer, that's the vibe I got from reading the manwha. Anyway JinWoo's shadow army is here. The hype starts now.

Solo leveling is one of those stories that was hard carried by the action hype and it's superb artwork so I always thought if it got an anime they would need to animate it really well and sasuga A1, they did it. Looking forward to s2. My favourite stuffs are mostly there after all.
Mar 30, 9:54 AM
May 2021
Peak leveling, we manhwa fans ate good this season 🔥 Sung Jin Woo is the definition of him!!
ARISE!!!
Mar 30, 10:00 AM

Feb 2019
And that’s a wrap, “good writing” be damned. I had so much fun watching this show. I did not expect to be moved as much as I was. That Sawano and A1 production values was just too good. Banger finale setting up cour 2 which I can’t wait for. Vercreek who worked on Frieren was also on this episode and it shows because this was top from start to finish.

Fitting that in this final episode of the cour Jinwoo has to overcome himself more than anything. Levelling up and getting stronger doesn’t magically make the insecurities and doubts go away. We also got to see how much further he still has to go. Very well could have died had it not been for the daily penalty emergency escape there. Who would have imagined that would come in so clutch. Not only getting him out of the situation, but letting him level up which restored all his stats.

His past self said “they don’t want you to die yet” who is the “they”? Still a lot of mysteries surrounding who turned Jinwoo into a player and why. But one things for sure, they’re not letting him die until they get what they want.

Arise now, ye tarnished! Oh wait, wrong franchise 😂 Jinwoo getting the necromancer and shadow monarch roles all in one go is so broken. Now he’s got an army of the undead and we’re no longer “solo leveling” could definitely come in handy for that island raid the S rank hunters are planning

Speaking of which, if the monsters on the island are evolving.. that’s going to be an insane raid. I need this second cour now! Not a ton of action in this finale, but some cool set up and world building. Hopefully the full Sawano OST drops soon too 🙏🏾 see yall back for cour 2
Marinate1016Mar 30, 10:33 AM
Mar 30, 10:00 AM
Jan 2021
Now that's an epic debut for the SHADOW MONARCH
A great 1st season with a banger last episode.
I'd rate this season an 8.5/10.
Now, the wait for season 2 begins :/
XeehadMar 30, 12:08 PM
Mar 30, 10:01 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Ricky16
This ended now we need Season 2 Announcement.
Edit- Damm!!! Season 2 Announced Immediately
@Ricky16 Eagerly waiting for it man :D
Mar 30, 10:07 AM

Feb 2021
It was a fun show.

I'd say the first Crunchyroll manhwa adaptation that gets received positively, hopefully future ones will be as good.
Mar 30, 10:13 AM

Jan 2009
there it is the arise meme

jinwoo is now a necromancer
Mar 30, 10:16 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Fantastic way to end the season - great episode
Mar 30, 10:17 AM
Mar 2024
Best anime. I didnt expect it to be this good.
Mar 30, 10:19 AM

Oct 2011
season 2🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Mar 30, 10:21 AM

Mar 2015
Decent episode but sadly it didnt manage to meet the hype from the last ep, imho.
Some parts were really rushed in this ep.
We had some banger OSTs this season but they didnt really make use of any properly here either.

I was really counting on an epic english "Arise". Other anime have done it before so I really wonder - since this anime was made for the international community - why they didnt go for it here...

Overall Im satisfied with this adaption, tho

Mar 30, 10:21 AM
Mar 2019
for me an anime 10/10 different than other of being power up an so enjoyable

i swear soon season 2
Mar 30, 10:22 AM

Oct 2008
So it ended on the job change after all. This was just a set up and the best parts still to come.

Was a bit edgier than I remember but a great adaptation overall. Hopefully they keep up with this quality for season two.
Jul 2023
Overall, a great action series with nothing really special or interesting. Actions is all I seek and actions it delivered.

Oct 2016
This was a good way to end the season. My only complaint was how often they were cutting to the S-Rank Hunters preparing for a raid that we didn’t even get to really see in this season. It would have been better if it just focused on Jinwoo, then in the next season, showed that this was happening in the outside world while Jinwoo was occupied in the job change quest. Action was amazing as always though, and I am excited to see how this shadow army will change moving forward. (9/10)
Mar 30, 10:27 AM

Feb 2021
5:00 What he actually said here was "The one who kills you will be yourself"

Holy damn all these bonuses. Daily quest penalty way too OP lol.
20:18 Here it was actually "Instead of defending the chair of some long gone bastard, defend me, who is in front of you."

The shadows looks so badass

9/10
The story is fine, but we're all here for the action, and it was damn great. The animation was so insanely good, I just can't. Though it really feels like we just started. Excited to learn more about the island in season 2!
Mar 30, 10:29 AM

Feb 2024
Season 2 was announced bois!!!
Mar 30, 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
Sooo good.

Also great they didn't go for an English version of arise; would've been a hit or miss, leaning towards the miss.
Mar 30, 10:36 AM

Jan 2012
And so we end with Sung successfully becoming a necromancer and shadow monarch.

So I watched this bling and as it turns out of the 20ish shows I watched this season this may have been my favorite. It was in the Top 3 for sure. After that initial arc where Sung survives death my only worry was that this show might have been a bit too "edgy" for my liking. But after it turned it to basically watching a video game character level up over and over I began enjoying it much more. That edginess remained, but I think I grew acclimated to it over time. Perhaps most notably I found myself growing annoyed whenever an episode would be over because I wanted to see what happened next right now. I didn't want it to end. It's rare that an anime can make me feel that way multiple times these days, and this one did. Solid 8/10 and I look forward to seeing what comes next. I assume that island will play a huge part.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, since I saw others mention it too the animation for the action in this was outstanding. I've seen anime feature films that looked worse in that regard.
Mar 30, 10:38 AM
Sep 2021
This was the best episode of this season so far
Mar 30, 10:39 AM
Mar 2023
Nothing better than ending the anime with the long-awaited phrase ("Arise" or Awaken). What an anime, what a work of art my friends. Now it’s time to wait for the next season!
Mar 30, 10:44 AM

Feb 2012
This show came out of nowhere for me. Loved it. Paused the show right before Jinwoo accepted the job class change and I was wondering how they could wrap up the season with ~6 min left while adding to the sense of excitement for next season. All the while I was wondering why so much screen time had been dedicated to the high class hunters prepping for their attack on that island's gate. Somehow all it took was combining a helicopter ride home and 2 words...

they're evolving

and instantly my excitement for next season shot through the roof.

Definitely did not think a show could pull that off in the last 10 seconds of a season. <3

SevWrenMar 30, 10:56 AM

Mar 30, 10:45 AM
Jun 2020
it was good I forgot the manwha it's been already 2 years so it was refreshing to experince again with animation
Mar 30, 10:45 AM
Jan 2021
Tristalia said:
Decent episode but sadly it didnt manage to meet the hype from the last ep, imho.
Some parts were really rushed in this ep.
We had some banger OSTs this season but they didnt really make use of any properly here either.

I was really counting on an epic english "Arise". Other anime have done it before so I really wonder - since this anime was made for the international community - why they didnt go for it here...

Overall Im satisfied with this adaption, tho

I was also expecting Arise in English same as the Eminence in shadow has I AM ATOMIC.
Overall good adaptation. Looking forward to S2.
Mar 30, 10:46 AM
Nov 2021
arise!! 100/10 ep
Mar 30, 10:47 AM

Jan 2018
Dang. That was a good finale. Really enjoyed Jinwoo killing those giant centipedes that gave him a hard time before and then finishing the job change quest.

I was wondering if he was going to start over from level 1 with the job change. That would've been funny to see. But guess not. He really got promoted from Necromancer to Shadow Monarch instantly. That was cool to see.

His new skill is really cool. I'm glad he revived Igris with it. He was a cool warrior and I wonder how Jinwoo will use his shadow soldiers.

It's great that Season 2 has been announced. Tho I thought Season 1 was confirmed to be a split cour with the second cour arriving in June. I guess they retitled it to Season 2? Either way, I hope it arrives soon.

Solo Leveling isn't a masterpiece or anything but I had a lot of fun with it. Waiting for more.
Mar 30, 10:50 AM

May 2015
Oh nooo! Mutant ants have wings now xD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 30, 10:54 AM
Dec 2023
great story can't wait until season 2
Mar 30, 10:56 AM

May 2016
love it. s tier episode.
but the ending was a very weird way to end a season.
Mar 30, 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
Great adaptation,Great episode.Jin-woo's struggles throughout the entire episode is shown beautifully.

And we have the legendary line - "Arise".Now we see the start of the journey of the Shadow Monarch Sung Jin-woo.

And as it is confirmed that we are getting a second cour/season,lot of beautiful things are bound to come.The post credits scene hints that Jeju Island is going to be important in the next part.

This adaptation is a masterpiece.Sound, animation,voice acting everything.The adaptation really justified the hype.Overall,I give this anime full 10/10.

Mar 30, 10:58 AM
Aug 2022
This season really felt like just an introduction for what's to come, I'm definitely hyped for season 2
Mar 30, 10:59 AM

Jun 2014
ARISE

A good way to wrap up the season, Jinwoo becomes a Necromancer and now has the red knight under his command. He's only going to keep getting stronger from here too, so that's something to look forward to.

Easily the best manhwa adaptation we've gotten so far, and I hope the next season (or cour since I guess this was a pre-planned split cour from what I've seen people say) keeps this momentum going.

People love to give shows like this shit for being "eDgY" (still don't know wtf that even means these days) and being true to what it always advertised itself to be, but idc what anyone says this was an enjoyable watch. It's a power fantasy action show about a dude becoming OP. Idk how you can go into a show like that then get mad that it doesn't have deep, Pulitzer Prize caliber writing. As long as the story makes sense and things don't go off the rails bonkers, the writing should be considered good enough at that point. Looking forward to more of Jinwoo's journey soon.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 30, 11:07 AM
Sep 2015
Ooh I'm glad the season 2 is announced immediately, with that said, I hope season 2 is much better than this, I believe it can do it since the first season leave much to be desired, so that should be an easy goal.
Mar 30, 11:08 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid finish, the monologue before the ED from the top official of the association and Jin-woo getting the soldiers under control was some way to close the season.

Damn, that’s as close as it will ever get, and he’s been through it for the second time now. Physically was a given but mentality too, which is definitely worse. Luck’s a part of the game and it’s definitely on his favour, thankfully. And man, he recovered quick! I was thinking it’d take some more time for him to snap out of that bout of negativity. Returning back to the suspicious setting without a concrete plan or a self-talking? I wish they transitioned a little better with these but the highlight of the show is the heart-pumping action and on that front, it delivered so I’m cool with it.

Necromancer achieved, that’s definitely a hidden skill that will come in handy, and a whole load of other benefits. Consuming powers from top level enemies and using that in future battles will go a long way, yikes. System is definitely up to something but since it’s been helping both sides of the party, I guess it’s okay for now?

Sister’s parent-teacher meeting, I wonder if he’ll be able to make time for that. Also, what was that evolving thing in the end there? Monsters evolving that has never happened? Guess we’ll find out later. Can’t wait for S2, A-1 has been on a roll and definitely extended the run with this one right here, great stuff!

No fight in the human world? What was the Op all about then, lol? That looked so epic, I’ve been waiting for that fight. I suppose I should be happy it didn’t spoil anything then? If it’s just for pure hype, then it did it’s job, technically.

Going to miss the Op & ED, they were a perfect match for the show!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 30, 11:13 AM

Dec 2022
made it in time i see well its a solid end

Arise is such a cold word

also the next season we will see the raid of the demon castle a very solid arc

igris joined the crew alongside
he is the best shodow
ZaxphredMar 30, 11:42 AM
Mar 30, 11:14 AM

Aug 2022
I would have never expected him to become a necromancer of all things. Anyway I'm really glad that the second season got announced right away. Usually I don't like power fantasy, but this was really fun to watch.
Mar 30, 11:16 AM
Jan 2022
Man, I was expecting "Arise" to be some insane climax to a fight but it's just him saying it for the first time, lol. Though I suppose we might get a moment like that later on.

All in all, the story and characters were ok at best and I was especially bothered by how they were setting up the Hunter Association and its S-Rank hunters for the entire duration of the season and there ended up being zero payoff for that here. So yeah...

But visuals, music, sound design etc.: OUTSTANDING. What A-1 Pictures has produced here is exactly to my taste when it comes to anime audiovisuals. That includes the way fights are animated and shot. Jin Woo vs Igrisa was better than any fight from 2023 for me. So if the studio retains this quality level, I'm all in for Season 2.
Mar 30, 11:17 AM

Oct 2015
Without a shadow of a doubt the best manhwa adaptation ever made, pun intended. I didn't feel lackluster at all compared to the manhwa, the strong points of Solo Leveling was always the epicness and the artstyle of reading it, transfering that into an adaptation would be extremely hard and when I saw A1 Pictures I was not a believer but dear lord did they do a damn good job.

Very satisfied with the result, every week I was waiting for a new episode to come out as a big Solo Leveling fan, cannot wait for season 2, probably going to read it all again. Okiro!
Mar 30, 11:20 AM
Dec 2020
absolut cinema ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Mar 30, 11:20 AM

Oct 2016
They need to release the next part ASAP. Jeez
Mar 30, 11:22 AM
Oct 2019
Rise!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

259 by ginumura »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

164 by Code0018 »»
Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

300 by Lambofgenesis »»
Yesterday, 8:11 PM

» Season 2 will focused more on side charcter and explore the world 360

Hickykissy - May 10

25 by 1000-MAT »»
Yesterday, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

223 by Code0018 »»
May 13, 11:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.