Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 4, 2023 10:58 AM

Dec 2021
Wow, they really went all out with the decorations for this garden party.

Princess Rifa recovered and returned to her usual life in Gyokuyo's palace. One day, while in the medical office, a frightened eunuch came and asked for a remedy to lift a curse. Maomao, discerning the true nature of the curse from the eunuch's story, prescribed an ointment. This led to Maomao being summoned by Jinshi after he heard about it. When Maomao returned to Jade Leaf's Palace, colleagues were enthusiastically preparing for a garden party.

So, could you clarify the meaning behind 'giving a male hairpin'? Is it connected to romantic gestures? Jinshi, what are you up to? The fact that Jinshi is hoping for nothing eventful to occur at the banquet implies that there might be something significant brewing. I'm curious about what that might be. Edit: My curiosity got the best of me, and I ended up looking up Chinese hairpins. According to the article, they were traditionally used to symbolize the transition into adulthood or as a token of love (often associated with betrothals and as a good luck charm for long journeys).

Maomao effortlessly asserted her influence with her innate beauty, leaving Jinshi powerless in comparison. He never had a chance.
IzanaSolosNov 4, 2023 12:42 PM

Nov 4, 2023 11:09 AM

Feb 2021
Oh, this is Maomao's look from the OP! Finally! I was suspecting that that isn't even her. Her freckles being fake was surprising but it really makes sense.
Really good episode again. But things are going to get crazier!

Btw the AOT finale raws are out! I was planning to go to sleep but I guess I'm staying up until 2 AM to watch that.
Nov 4, 2023 11:25 AM

Apr 2010
Well one problem solved but it looks like another one popped up.
I wonder if they where targeting Maomao, the smile in the cliffhanger i mean.

Anyway Maomao made a complete transformation now that she needs to look good for the event almost like a different girl.
Tho i do understand why she is hiding her usual face.
Nov 4, 2023 11:27 AM
Mar 2019
What a great episode. Maybe the best one so far.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Nov 4, 2023 11:33 AM

Oct 2017
That was pretty chill but a really neat episode which I really liked. Maomao looked so cute dressed up and her makeup removed. Even Jinshi was taken aback, is this love? He even gave her his hairpin. Does this mean he claimed her to be his? Talking about Jinshi, I'm still waiting to see who he actually is. That ending scene though, something about to happen in this party.
Nov 4, 2023 11:36 AM
Oct 2016
Everyone is preparing for the illustrious garden party. Where all four major courtesan will vie for becoming empress. Last time the two that had just given birth couldn't attend so this is the first major event at the palace in a while. Maomao is settling in reluctantly to her role as one of Lady Gyoukyou ladies in waiting. It's certainly not something that Maomao wanted for her life but its the cards she's been dealt. She did a great job solving what happened go that attendant that thought he had a curse. Someone must've planted those pieces of wood to change the flames colors and also make a rash on people whom grabbed them. Jinshi is even looking into what's causing this superstition around the palace. He's also very excited to see Maomao every time he can. Checking on all the courtesan before the party begins, saving Lady Gyoukyou for last so he can see Maomao too. She made a startling revelation that her freckles are fake, not something I wouldn't thought she was doing. Making fake freckles so she looked less desirable. With this new lady in waiting makeup Maomao cleans up well. The garden party will display all the highest courtesan as they covet the highest honor.
Nov 4, 2023 11:36 AM

Jul 2012
Sad that Maomao deliberately makes herself look ugly to avert the dangers facing her at that period of time. I like that she decided to share something like that with Jinshi though and how he tactfully reacted.
Nov 4, 2023 11:40 AM

Mar 2021
Another fantastic episode Maomao looked incredible in her garden party dress. This show is just amazing and I cannot wait to see the next episode
Nov 4, 2023 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
I'm so dead, do not come looking for me lol

But seriously, what a great episode. Showing the terrible things women have to worry about and how they have to do things to avoid them. Jinshi's worrying for Maomao and marking her as a way to protect her was 10/10 (It's been hinted for a while now that he hides his true position in court. I would guess Emperor's son or true Emperor or idk, but who knows. This episode almost gave it all up, but we'll still have to wait... Hype!). Freaking out because of a great ship in anime is something I haven't experienced in a little while, so I'm happy af. The "This is poison" scene from the trailer is coming next episode, isn't it? HYPEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Absolutely marvelous episode, waiting for next week hurts. I really want to meet the other Emperor's consorts too.

MaahHeimNov 4, 2023 12:27 PM
Nov 4, 2023 11:44 AM

Sep 2019
Jinshi x Maomao going smooth. He definitely has higher authority than he lets on as the stuff he said this episode hinted on it.
Nov 4, 2023 12:21 PM

Apr 2023
Wasn't expecting Maomao's freckles to be fake, she looks beautiful either way though! That last scene between her and Jinshi was really sweet and I loved the music this episode!

Aah waiting another week will be hard 😣
Kimmy-Nov 4, 2023 1:35 PM
Nov 4, 2023 12:35 PM

Feb 2021
Another good episode, great adaptation so far, pretty much nothing skipped.

It was nice seeing the other two concubines for the first time, they will be important in the story.
Nov 4, 2023 12:55 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Maomao is fantastic. Each episode, there always is something new which shows how wise is the young apothecary.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 4, 2023 12:56 PM

Mar 2020
The garden party is about to begin, I think trouble is brewing...

This episode felt more like a setup episode for the party, but it was still very enjoyable. With the emperor in attendance, all the women are dressing up for the occasion, and Maomao's beauty was definitely seen. Turned out the freckles on Maomao's face were actually fake, due to the nature of the brothels, and the things that the women there had to go through. Jinshi seemed to feel bad about that story, and gave her a hairpin, which certainly means something, perhaps a token of love or protection? I'm sure we'll find out more about that with time, but for now, drama is likely going to happen at the garden party, and there's much to look forward to.
Nov 4, 2023 1:01 PM
Feb 2022
Maomao is my best girl. (Don’t call me pedo, I’m a minor.)
Nov 4, 2023 1:05 PM

Jan 2009
And here we go with the garden party :)

I was very happy with how they dealt with the buildup. Character development at its best!
Nov 4, 2023 1:08 PM

Apr 2018
He is really gonna fall in love with her lol. Well, Maomao had a much more difficult life than the others there, so they don't really know what she has been through to put those frickles on her face. But, she does look beautiful now. Ending is a teaser again.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 4, 2023 1:17 PM
Apr 2020
Maomao with her fake freckles is prettier i wonder if we will not she it again since her secret got revealed ; (
Nov 4, 2023 1:38 PM

May 2022
It's another day in the Imperial Palace and one of the servants got rashes in his hands from burning some wood writing tablets due to which he thought it to be curse but thankfully MaoMao quickly figured out the solution and gave some ointment to heal it.

Jinshi's interactions with MaoMao are always so fun to watch. He tries his natural charming face to seduce MaoMao but she never gets even slightly affected by it which instead piques his interest in her even more. It's really hilarious.

It's the Garden Party now where the Emperor and his high officials do a festival of some sort and this time, it's really important as the Four Main Concubines are required to attend and A "Special" Person is also attending. But it won't be going smoothly as in the last shot, there seems to be a problem brewing up with a suspicious person calmly setting up a food plate which is possibly poisoned with a wicked smile.

MaoMao's face is absolutely gorgeous to look at ♥‿♥
𝒟𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝒹𝒾𝒸𝓉𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒.
Nov 4, 2023 1:49 PM

May 2015
To bee a good apothecary, you need to :

-Have a good knowledge of science
-Know how to cook
-And be an elegant lady
Nov 4, 2023 2:06 PM
Dec 2021
Maomao just entered into my waifu podium. She's next to Ayase Chihaya and Touma Kazusa.
Nov 4, 2023 2:19 PM

Nov 2013
Oh, so her freckles were fake huh? Our boy was stunned though.
Nov 4, 2023 2:28 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Aversa
Well one problem solved but it looks like another one popped up.
I wonder if they where targeting Maomao, the smile in the cliffhanger i mean.

Anyway Maomao made a complete transformation now that she needs to look good for the event almost like a different girl.
Tho i do understand why she is hiding her usual face.
@Aversa I don't think there is lot of reason to target Maomao specifically. She is just one of many ladies in waiting. Especially out of all high profile people attending party.
Nov 4, 2023 2:51 PM
Dec 2022
I honestly love their relationship, it's rly runny to watch the way Jinshi reacts.
Nov 4, 2023 3:16 PM
Sep 2021
I see the animation style went back to the ep1-3 one. So I guess because there are 2 studios making this, we'll have 2 types of animation
Nov 4, 2023 3:28 PM
Mar 2015
Her mask came off shocking even the eunuch who made his claim to her
Nov 4, 2023 3:29 PM

May 2009
Her way of thinking surprised me , That I am not alone.
Cause I do the same , making myself look ugly to avoid sexual harassments .
Nov 4, 2023 3:32 PM
Oct 2010
Jinshi should know by now just how much of an impact his beauty has on the world around him, his gesture of the hairpin is going to end up causing poor Maomao so many problems as soon as anyone identifies who it came from. First problem is probably going to be the bratty little concubine who looks to be infatuated in him, there's no way she wouldn't notice the tiniest detail of her idol and be incensed at the temerity of a mere servant to have gained his favor.
Nov 4, 2023 3:54 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The four concubines have gather around for the Garden Party with the emperor which means its time for Maomao to get dolled up. Maomao looks so gorgeous with makeup that she may end up as someone's concubine or wife. I was just as surprised as Jinshi when he found out that Maomao's freckles were fake, but I understand why she make herself look average on purpose. Looks like there is going to be some drama at the Garden Party as the concubines try to gain some ground on the emperor's favor.
AddaeAkonoNov 4, 2023 4:29 PM
Nov 4, 2023 3:58 PM
May 2023
Jinshin became speechless in this episode. I'm not surprised. MaoMAo looked beautiful.
Nov 4, 2023 4:50 PM

Jan 2011
i didnt like Maomao s character at first but i think that may be changing though
Nov 4, 2023 5:20 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode,

she is far from ugly

i know what will happen next but i'm excited to see it on tv...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Nov 4, 2023 5:31 PM
Mar 2021
I love Jinshi and Maomao together, I hope she is no longer averse to him. I would be happy if she fell in love with him. You can tell that he loves her 🥰
Nov 4, 2023 5:37 PM
May 2022
It´s crazy to think she put freckles on herself on purpose because they weren´t considered attractive and that made it easier to keep men away.
Nov 4, 2023 5:53 PM

Mar 2008
I kinda feel like Jinshi is just a tiny bit buffer than one would expect a eunuch to be.

I understand why Maomao had fake freckles but doesn't really align with some monologue in the first episode where she acted upset for not being considered pretty enough and even mentioned her freckles, huh? Oh well... I liked Jinshi's reaction to her face and the explanation. Not sure what his exact intent was giving her his hairpin because there is multiple ways to interpret that. While it could be a sign of love it might just be him out of guilt trying to protect her by claiming her as his and also essentially giving her a weapon since that hair pin looks like it could cause some damage.
traedNov 4, 2023 5:56 PM
Nov 4, 2023 6:04 PM

Nov 2017
Maomao is the best girl in this season. She's so kawaii and smart.

Nov 4, 2023 6:15 PM

Apr 2022
gyokuyou and lihua really are pretty as hell, tbf everyone there is. sad stuff about maomao having to fake her freckles for her safety and jinshi is everyone during that scene with that she must be protected at all costs energy. another nice episode.
Nov 4, 2023 6:39 PM

Nov 2010
  • Though shiitake mushroom is cheap, matsutake mushroom is very expensive in Japan these days. But matsutake was cheaper than shiitake long ago. Also the situation would have been different in China (, though I heard the stage is a China-like fictional world in this story).
  • The animation, for example, the leaves fluttering in the wind, background art and the color pallet seemed cheap for such a big title.
Nov 4, 2023 7:22 PM

Feb 2019
Anime of the season. A truly made for adults anime
Nov 4, 2023 7:31 PM

Sep 2016
Pretty good how they adapted the freckles scene.
Nov 4, 2023 8:51 PM
Dec 2022
i love the scene when jinshi gave maomao the hairpin
Nov 4, 2023 8:58 PM
Apr 2023
Man, they really don't like having freckles in this series, huh?
Nov 4, 2023 9:21 PM
Jan 2023
Really nice pacing. This is really wholesome even though they talk about SA at one point. Handsome Eunuch guy seems nice.
Nov 4, 2023 9:27 PM

Jun 2017
traed said:
I kinda feel like Jinshi is just a tiny bit buffer than one would expect a eunuch to be.

You are right, a eunuch is not supposed to be this buff considering their reproductive organs are removed. Therefore.....you can draw your own conclusions here. It will be discussed later in the series.

Very excited for the next episode.
Nov 4, 2023 9:34 PM

Oct 2022
Poor Maomao had to go through all that just to not be assaulted, also it was so cute the way Jinshi gave her his hairpin to her (and she looks so beautiful with that make up and new hairstyle) I can't wait for the next episode it seems like that little concubine will get jealous of our girl bc of that pin tho.
UndefeatedBahamut
Nov 4, 2023 9:44 PM
Mar 2023
this is heading towards a interesting direction!
Nov 4, 2023 10:14 PM

Dec 2022
I love the protagonist’s personality. Not overly excited, no exaggerated expressions, no dumb actions. Just a sensible, realistic person. An adult really. Not so much physically as emotionally. She got a beautiful face and her eyes are mesmerizing though.
Nov 4, 2023 10:28 PM

Oct 2022
Jinshi is smitten, even more than before.

The other ladies in waiting are loving it

Nov 4, 2023 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
These traditional Chinese dresses are the best looking dresses ever designed. You can't change my mind.
Nov 4, 2023 10:45 PM

Nov 2019
I don't like that scene near the end of the episode :( are we dealing with poison? In the food? But Maomao will be the food poison tester!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 18, 2023

133 by ItalianChicken »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20

111 by capyvaraw »»
Yesterday, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13

96 by capyvaraw »»
Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6

105 by capyvaraw »»
Yesterday, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

165 by JSM5421 »»
May 17, 2:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.