Forum Settings
Forums

Characters you like but everyone else hates.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 24, 10:37 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to Styx_Thistle
It's Mahito from Jujutsu Kaisen for me. Everyone hates him (except one of my house mates really likes him too, funnily enough. Though admittedly another screamed in horror when I told them he was my favourite character lmao). Genuinely he is the sole reason why I'm interested in continuing JJK.

I suppose another may be Zoisite from Sailor Moon. I don't think he gets a lot of hate, but he's in no way a fan favourite either. Now I have a dilemma of whether I will bother continuing sailor moon... while he's not gonna show up again, I've heard that the later seasons get more interesting. (Or I could just turn to the manga and cut out the excessively long transformation sequences ig.)
@Styx_Thistle Without Mahito I wouldn’t have cared much either. I was surprised to see so little discussion about him after S1 ended when he practically carried the whole show for me.
Apr 25, 12:38 AM

Apr 2013
I don't think people hate Akainu, I think he's pretty popular in the fanbase.

OT: Meliodas probably gets the most hate in my top 30 because he's a pervert.
Apr 25, 9:01 AM

Mar 2012
Conrad Weller - the Japanese fans like him but I've noticed that western fans, specially fujos, hate him because until much recently till the author made Yuuram canon they thought that he was getting in the way of their stupid abusive ship. Conrad is an amazing character so I don't understand these shitty fujos. It's extremely rare to come across English speaking fans who actually like him and don't ship him with Yozak

Kikyo - I always thought that Kikyo was an interesting character, I like her way more than Kagome.
Apr 25, 10:50 AM

Dec 2020
Mami from rent-a-girlfirend
She's the best written character imo
Apr 28, 5:29 PM
Mar 2024
There's three on my mind.

Mami Nanami from Rent-A-Girlfriend. She is legit the only good character in the insanity-fest that RAG pretty much is.

Not sure if he counts, but I always held a bit of a low-key spot on the "he's on my faves list" for Shinn Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny. I just was disappointed with how the series dropped the ball with him and how bungled the rest of the show wen for the final third of the series, to the point where Super Robot Wars Z re-did the storyline to fix his character (and the storyline of SEED Destiny). That being said, a lot of people (including me) said he was the best part of the SEED Freedom film so there's that.

And now for the ultra-controversial character: I am ridiculously down bad for Malty from Shield Hero. Granted, I despise the show for a boatload of things, but she's probably the only character that I'd pay attention to. Mainly because I like her design and how I feel some aspects of her personality could have been written to make a better character (like maybe a villian who grows into a good person/anti-hero?). What disappoints me the most about my issues with Shield Hero is that Malty's character felt like she was written to be this caricature of what MRAs/incels think what all "free" women are and what happens to her to be a revenge fantasy written by a misogynistic incel. Again, love the design and wished she was written better instead of a misogynistic caricature. And i know some people are gonna be like "but she was meant to be written to be hated!" and I'm just gonna say this: Writing "Hate Sinks" is lazy writing and not a good way to make a character.

Sorry for that long-ass paragraph.
Apr 28, 6:05 PM
Apr 2024
Shinoa from owari no seraph and amane lily from the foolish angel
Apr 29, 9:37 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to epidemia78
Gabi Braun. I heard a lot of hatred for her long before I finally got around to watching the season she's in. I should have known the AOT fandom would have another bad take but I went in expecting the worst. I actually felt a lot of sympathy for her and it was interesting to see her character development, even though it was rushed like most things in the "final season". But yeah I really don't get the hate. It's not as if I felt especially attached to you-know-who.

Tomoko from Watamote is another one. It's weird because she's not so different from Bocchi who is extremely beloved. Tomoko's issues are a heck of a lot more relatable than the "problems" Bocchi faces. Maybe it just hits too close to home for some people?
I like takumi from Chaos;Head in the early parts
epidemia78 said:
Tomoko from Watamote is another one. It's weird because she's not so different from Bocchi who is extremely beloved. Tomoko's issues are a heck of a lot more relatable than the "problems" Bocchi faces. Maybe it just hits too close to home for some people?

Also this
Apr 29, 9:42 PM

Aug 2021
Takemichi from Tokyo Manji Revengers
Apr 30, 2:56 PM

Jan 2021
Kirito and Asuna

I just don't don't find them as bland, basic, or annoying as most people seem to

Apr 30, 3:03 PM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/character/112929/Malty_S_Melromarc

I like evil bitches.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 3:13 PM

Feb 2014
Reply to mohamedo_abuduru
Subaru from Re:Zero, Shinji from Evangelion, Rachel from Tower of God. The first two definitely aren't "everyone else hates" but they definitely have a lot of haters. Rachel on the other hand is pretty universally despised, like 99% of Tower of God fans think so, even though she's easily the most interesting character in the series and half the reason I'm still reading it
mohamedo_abuduru said:
Subaru from Re:Zero

Doesn't have an ounce of haters that he deserves.
Apr 30, 5:08 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to curvedtree
mohamedo_abuduru said:
Subaru from Re:Zero

Doesn't have an ounce of haters that he deserves.
@curvedtree
1. your statement is really badly worded, you should fix that
2. why do you think he deserves hate?
Apr 30, 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
Reply to mohamedo_abuduru
@curvedtree
1. your statement is really badly worded, you should fix that
2. why do you think he deserves hate?
@mohamedo_abuduru

1- The absence of a subject that is implied in the quote I copied and pasted, doesn't make my sentence "really badly worded". Besides, if you are going to bother (trying to) correct others grammar, you might as well check your own reply;

2- You don't get to wrongly correct me and then ask me to explain myself.
Apr 30, 5:59 PM

Aug 2021
I've heard several people call my dear Shion a foolish, dumb or annoying 🤧.

Not everyone hates Deku, but I've seen people calling him names just because of his personality 🤷🏼‍♂️
Apr 30, 6:01 PM

Jun 2020
My favorite JJK farmer-kun. His character design, personality, and powers are so cool. I hope that once he comes into anime he will be more liked, but the amount of downplay towards him is crazy. I still find the memes funny tho

Apr 30, 6:22 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to curvedtree
@mohamedo_abuduru

1- The absence of a subject that is implied in the quote I copied and pasted, doesn't make my sentence "really badly worded". Besides, if you are going to bother (trying to) correct others grammar, you might as well check your own reply;

2- You don't get to wrongly correct me and then ask me to explain myself.
@curvedtree No, it's not really implied very well. Your sentence, "doesn't have an ounce of haters he deserves," can easily be interpreted as saying "Subaru doesn't have any haters that he actually deserves to have," or in other words, "Subaru doesn't deserve the hate he gets," which is the opposite of what you're trying to say, and plenty for me to consider your sentence badly worded. If you had said "doesn't have an ounce of THE haters he deserves" that would make more far sense if you mean that the amount of haters Subaru has right now is nothing compared to how many he should have. Additionally, I see no errors in my sentence unless you're being ridiculously nitpicky. Funnily enough I can see at least three potential issues with your first point alone, so don't try turning the tables on me. If you're going to, at least make sure you have your back covered. I wasn't calling you out for grammar anyways, I was calling you out for your sentence having two opposite interpretations, and there being no real way to know which one is correct unless you look at your profile. I don't really give a fuck if you use a comma incorrectly or some shit, I'm sure I do in this paragraph at some point. The problem is that your statement is ambiguous.
May 1, 2:05 AM
Dec 2021
Bondrewd from Made in Abyss comes to mind.

May 1, 2:32 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Eleben
Bondrewd from Made in Abyss comes to mind.
@Eleben Bondrewd is one of the most liked villains of this decade.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 1, 2:37 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Eleben Bondrewd is one of the most liked villains of this decade.
@Zarutaku If you say so. I always had to justify why I like him.

May 2, 3:40 AM

Feb 2013
Eichi Tenshouin from Ensemble Stars. He had a very valid point and ultimately brought a change that was needed. While I agree his methods were questionable to say the least, his heart was in the right place. Not to mention, he has always been remorseful about how he went about things.

Extra points, he is very pretty.
May 3, 7:27 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to Maou_heika
Conrad Weller - the Japanese fans like him but I've noticed that western fans, specially fujos, hate him because until much recently till the author made Yuuram canon they thought that he was getting in the way of their stupid abusive ship. Conrad is an amazing character so I don't understand these shitty fujos. It's extremely rare to come across English speaking fans who actually like him and don't ship him with Yozak

Kikyo - I always thought that Kikyo was an interesting character, I like her way more than Kagome.

I like Conrad! And I don't ship anyone in KKM basically. It had a lot of meaningful themes done well, and characters with really interesting personalities. Precisely Conrad and Murata are some who made an especially big impression on me.

I would say Deidara, fun character of a nice serious group of villains, not annoying like some other members, I used to be a fan.

And I assume Naraku (from inuyasha) is hated, but that ending with the protagonists clearly understanding and not caring at all that he was trying to get rid of his heart that had feelings, and overall just... envied undertanding people had left an impression and made me think how much would have everything changed if he had some of that understanding. That kind of made me like and want to understand a lot of villains in anime overall, starting from that point.

Also Aizen, that is what I call an impressive villain with no unnecesary drama who calculated not everything but a lot, and not like in most battle shonens.

And I don't mind kirito (in the novel), I like his detective style narration of him trying to figure out what is happening like in the phantom bullet case, what's going on when he finds himself in alicization etc, it makes the novel more entertaining.
May 3, 11:15 AM

Nov 2017

this guy is very hated in shiki. But ı can somewhat understand his actions. I cant say I like him but I think he is interesting character.
May 3, 11:43 AM

Nov 2020
People hate Suzaku? My boy was one of the few things that kept me watching.

Also Deku gets way too much shit thrown at him.
May 3, 11:44 AM

Apr 2024
Kyubey! Love him to death, with that cute little face
May 3, 7:12 PM

Jun 2023
Shinji Ikari. Lol.

Also, I'm not sure if people actually hate him or not, but I like Vicious from Cowboy Bebop quite a bit. Not as much as Spike, but still.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

32 by kataneer »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - Today

12 by Akuya »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

43 by Merve2Love »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of the big 3 do you think has the best music?

Akuya - 2 hours ago

8 by FanofAction »»
19 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - May 6

33 by PeripheralVision »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.