Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2020 10:32 AM

Dec 2014
This was just fantastic, I love it already.

The animation, OST and direction are so on point. It's full of energy with a nice brisk pacing, constantly moving forward. It's very enjoyable and very immersive for that matter.

I've heard a lot about the God of Highschool but I never got around to reading the manhwa and now I'm super interesting in reading it. To source readers, how is the adaptation stacking upto the manhwa? What's the pacing, is there skipped content? If there is missing content, I will definitely start reading the manhwa in parallel.

Love the characters already, the bike chase scene was glorious and I was laughing at multiple points. This whole vibe seems to be over the top and crazy and the show knows how to make that entertaining. Very strong start, I'm invested already.
Jul 6, 2020 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Great style and direction. The pacing will be the main issue I think.
Jul 6, 2020 10:33 AM
Apr 2020
Wow! First episode is really good. The fight scenes. The animation. The OP. The ED. The comedy parts. Everything is good as fck!!!

Oct 2018
Can't believe they skipped Mira's epic jojo face

Mar 2016
I'm not gonna be like other people here who have a negative impression from the start due to the source material exposure.

This was a fun first impression, but nothing particularly good in terms of narrative or character work yet, and I don't expect any of that, tbh.

That OP theme chorus is grating as fuck, though. The ED theme is MUCH better.

The CG sticks out like a sore thumb, ngl.
Jul 6, 2020 10:36 AM

Mar 2017
Niiiice first episode! The animation is great quality, making the fight scenes super satisfying to watch and the soundtrack is fire! I really like the way they introduced the characters; it felt smooth and very natural and showed their personalities straight away.

I don't know if it's just me but this had a 00's anime feel with the silly humour and wackily animated comedy scenes. A strong start in my opinion!
Jul 6, 2020 10:38 AM
May 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
ElGoblino said:

And here ladies and gentlemen we have someone that doesn't know shit about art and animation but he likes to talk and give his opinion and thinks both are same thing. The guy asks him how does this show have bad animation when in fact it's actually great and he responds with why everyone has red noses which has nothing to do animation. Facepalm

well animation has been a passion of mine for over 20 years , studied it, created some 2d, 3d, game animation, done my share of art both in pencil and digital (see deviantart page with same name) but is clear I have no idea what I am talking about. True good animation accounts for the mechanics of biological bodies that have bones and muscles and respond to physical laws but hey that does not matter, right?
MegamiRem said:
Bad visual? Bad animation? Lmao wut? Care to elaborate what good animation and visuals are then lmao?
Good animation takes into account the laws of physics and makes movements look natural. Also about the visuals they are supposed to represent real human being but there are a ton of parts not well drawn at all.
Dust_Eyezz said:
you gave arifureta a 9 and complain about visuals? Interesting...

Arifureta had bad visuals? Interesting... I do not like this because it does not use shading (except for the noses which makes look weird) and the drawings look either sketchy or ... how to put this... with too many corners. Also Arifureta had a great story . This is a dime a dozen. I have read at least 10 korean manga with the exact same story as this anime.
Arifureta and good story? What did u smoke? Arifureta is the most generic garbage ever? It's like any other Isekai betray kinda stuff? Have you even watched the same arifureta as me? African meme movies have better CGI...
Jul 6, 2020 10:42 AM
Dec 2018
OKEY!

as expected from crunchyroll
Not so great first episode
The opening sucks
They should really stop adopting shit from weebtoon, atleast korean
not much to say ,just an episode in

NOT HYPED THO
Jul 6, 2020 10:43 AM

Feb 2020
What a premiere, even better than Tower of God. This is going to be fucking awesome!
Jul 6, 2020 10:44 AM
Jun 2020
AnimeFA78N said:
Okay guys i need to ask something
hows this episode is compare to TOG Episode 1?
pls give me your thoughts?

The anime episode 1 is very nice although... in comparison with the manhwa, the manhwa starts with the main characters personally being chosen to be in the tournament by commissioners/judges (people in black suits) <- this happens BEFORE the whole lady's purse part (on their way to the tournament). That's all that's different.

I think they didn't include that part maybe because it probably wasn't essential or that it was something they could bring up later on and if they included the whole 'recruiting' part, they wouldn't have enough time to show that sweet sweet action animation :3
Jul 6, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
I would say pretty okay episode. Animation is nothing sort of groundbreaking like kimetsu no yaiba or other ufotable works
Jul 6, 2020 10:45 AM
Dec 2018
Ao_Blue said:
Wow! First episode is really good. The fight scenes. The animation. The OP. The ED. The comedy parts. Everything is good as fck!!!

I really want your optimistic thinking ngl , but yeah people what they like
Jul 6, 2020 10:45 AM
Oct 2019
Anime-only here
Solid start, had me extremely hooked on the action scenes (which, btw, are really well animated)

So, apparently, The God of Highscool is a fighting tournament that, despite its name, allows all ages. Judging off of the start, it looks like the tournament president is quite influencial nation-wise and may be even more powerful than the actual leader (or whatever those oji-sans were) and has a mystical omnipotent magical hand (still not sure about this part).

Absolutely loved how they connected the - I suppose - 3 mains with that chase bit. Girl is super lewd smh, and not-mc guy (this is all my guess, nothing confirmed) needs money for something that is important and may be entering the tournament so that he can accomplish that something (remember when they said that the winner would be granted a wish?) but, as i said, this is only supposition and I might be completely wrong. MC looks rather strong (tbh, all of the 3 mains look strong), gave a bruised ankle on the "everyone's favorite" guy, even tho he slid on the sweat and it made him lose balance.

Overall, fighting scenes are really good and the story seems rather interesting, can't wait to see how this plays on.
Jul 6, 2020 10:49 AM

Dec 2019
Good shit. MAPPA is again just flexing with their high quality animation. The direction seems good, everything was very dinamic, they managed to keep it very stylized and the transitions in that battle royale fight were really good.

The premise isn't that interesting but at least the characters seem fun to watch, although I'm sure that character development isn't the focus of this anime. It's always nice to watch something that doesn't try too hard, which is made obvious by this episode, but exceeds in what it is giving, and I'm sure this anime is going to have some great fights. I'm not expecting much but it still made me laugh sometimes and it seems pretty entertaining, so anyways.

At least it seems better than ToG.
CrossBlackJul 8, 2020 9:37 AM
Jul 6, 2020 10:51 AM

Jul 2019
nightcrawlercyp said:
ElGoblino said:

And here ladies and gentlemen we have someone that doesn't know shit about art and animation but he likes to talk and give his opinion and thinks both are same thing. The guy asks him how does this show have bad animation when in fact it's actually great and he responds with why everyone has red noses which has nothing to do animation. Facepalm

well animation has been a passion of mine for over 20 years , studied it, created some 2d, 3d, game animation, done my share of art both in pencil and digital (see deviantart page with same name) but is clear I have no idea what I am talking about. True good animation accounts for the mechanics of biological bodies that have bones and muscles and respond to physical laws but hey that does not matter, right?
MegamiRem said:
Bad visual? Bad animation? Lmao wut? Care to elaborate what good animation and visuals are then lmao?
Good animation takes into account the laws of physics and makes movements look natural. Also about the visuals they are supposed to represent real human being but there are a ton of parts not well drawn at all.
Dust_Eyezz said:
you gave arifureta a 9 and complain about visuals? Interesting...

Arifureta had bad visuals? Interesting... I do not like this because it does not use shading (except for the noses which makes look weird) and the drawings look either sketchy or ... how to put this... with too many corners. Also Arifureta had a great story . This is a dime a dozen. I have read at least 10 korean manga with the exact same story as this anime.
oh its obvius you dont know anything about animation, do you even know the basic principles? like the famous 12? Because it really doesnt seem like it if you are mainly talking about physic laws, muscle and bones, i REALLY dought that in 20 years you know less than me who has just been interesting in animation in about a year, so no need to lie here. And you complain about the shading, and yea no shading, nope, none whatsoever, its not like the clothes were stupidly detailed with shade nope, obviusly not.
Jul 6, 2020 10:52 AM

Feb 2010
Now this is a blast, compared to TOG. The OSTs, OP/ED, animation, characters,simplicity all are great, MAPPA did a good job overall!

I always love Mori even in Manhwa, im happy to see his kicks being animated but i forgot just how many things they skipped since it's been so long i read the manhwa but it didn't matter that much i guess because this series overall is just pretty damn simple.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jul 6, 2020 10:54 AM
Aug 2018
Epiosde clean AF visuals amazing mappa did great job in terms of quality it is way better than tower of god no argues..! but my only problem or (issue)in this epiosde pacing is way rushed not to complain but mori never uses legs in starting becoz his taekwondo was surprise for the fans in later episodes he straight up using his legs in ep1 which is kindaa deal breaker right there not gonna lie well at this point it is wat it is.......
PavanphenomenalJul 6, 2020 10:59 AM
Jul 6, 2020 10:56 AM

Feb 2020
Let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The first ep of G.O.H is finally out!!!!! 100/10!!!! I'm so blessed to be born in this lifetime. I'm so excited. the manwha is so good. Although, I've only gotten to chapter 175

The music, as well, is also amazing! All of it. The sound director is truly skilled. I mean listen to that OST. It's ear candy, and it pumps me up so much!

Kyoto Animation rocks
Jul 6, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2019
kaiser17 said:
I would say pretty okay episode. Animation is nothing sort of groundbreaking like kimetsu no yaiba or other ufotable works
if we were to compare the episode 1 of this to kimetsu no yaiba episode 1, i would say this had way better animation, if we are talking about episode 19 tho, not so much, but honestly from the trailers it could very well have an episode with better quality, pretty sure there was a cut from keiichiro watanabe (my favourite animator) in this episode, but he didnt do much, but he seems to be doing more cuts, so it wouldnt blew my mind if he did a cut better than the one in episode 19 of kny, the one from nozomu abe at least
Jul 6, 2020 10:59 AM

Feb 2020
OMG!!!!! First of All, I immediately fell in Love with the OP and ED as well!! Just Awesome!!

Yeah, the art style is a bit different but I won't say its Bad! Every Anime has its Uniqueness!!

There wasn't anything explained about the story Or the God of Highschool tournament, but I don't mind. The Action makes up for that!! SUBARASHI Animation!!

I am fucking Excited for the Next episode!! Looking forward to it!!

Apr 2020
Impressed with the opening.
loving the humor.
pretty hyped for next episodes.
loving the ending too.
:D can it be better?

May 2020
Very interesting first episode. The main character Jin seems to be the kind-hearted but air-headed type. The episode was also pretty fast paced with getting to the battle royale pretty quickly. It looks like this show will be filled with some good action.

I'm excited for the next episode.
Jul 6, 2020 11:04 AM

Feb 2018
* below-average visuals
* bad cgi
* jokes from child cartoons (lol mc dropped random guy's pants, so funny)
* awful pacing (looks like they adapted 5-6 chapters to 1 episode)
* random fights with random people that I don't give a fuck about
* weird character designs (that noses lul)
* Crunchyroll product placement

overall - perfect episode, 10/10
best anime of the season
Jul 6, 2020 11:08 AM
Feb 2012
the red noses are really disgusting

they look like Sims characters with too much ugly custom content
Jul 6, 2020 11:08 AM

Jan 2013
AnimeFA78N said:
Okay guys i need to ask something
hows this episode is compare to TOG Episode 1?
pls give me your thoughts?

Plot is almost identical but what else is there to watch?
Jul 6, 2020 11:10 AM

Aug 2012
MegamiRem said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Is this a bad clone of DOA from someone that seems unable to properly draw a human nose for some reason? I mean I have trouble with them as well but I do not make everyone look like they are drunk or having a flu. Also the drawing style is really bad

I liked TOG but his one is really bad I mean bad visuals bad animation and almost nothing is explained, the comedy falls flat and so on

The animation is really good, but it's so unoriginal, all Mappa animes have the same art style. I think because that, some people can think that the animation is bad.
Jul 6, 2020 11:11 AM

Jul 2019
in general felt very generic, somehow characters interaction felt even worse, in general action was good animation was really good for a tv show. comedy felt like it was trying too hard and just made me cringe, im not sure why but this show just felt less then average all around overall im really disappointed, i'll keep watching for 1 more ep and i hope it will get better for now 5/10 from me.
Jul 6, 2020 11:13 AM
Aug 2013
TenshiTobacco said:
* below-average visuals
* bad cgi
* jokes from child cartoons (lol mc dropped random guy's pants, so funny)
* awful pacing (looks like they adapted 5-6 chapters to 1 episode)
* random fights with random people that I don't give a fuck about
* weird character designs (that noses lul)
* Crunchyroll product placement

overall - perfect episode, 10/10
best anime of the season

Dropped after 1 episode. Hahaha.

Jul 6, 2020 11:15 AM

Jul 2012
Looks kind of interesting so far.
Jul 6, 2020 11:16 AM

Nov 2018
The OP and ED are fire and so far I am a fan of the animation that this series has brought with the first episode.

Now I just hope they don't rush this adaptation because that is the one thing I'm worried about but other than that I like anime with testosterone-filled fights and action and that's what this series is.

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

[/center]
Jul 6, 2020 11:17 AM

Jan 2020
Seems like it'll be a fun show to watch. However I still haven't really grown to like the characters yet, since I feel like they left out some needed character interaction. Also the stakes haven't really been built up yet, so I have no reason to care about anyone winning the tournament (though I think later episodes will build them) It felt as if they rushed into the tournament too quick I guess.

THE ANIMATION THOUGH. I'm still learning animation and this show will be really good material to study. Every punch and kick connected. God it was so fucking beautiful.

I think I might read the first 50 chapters or so of the manwha so I have some context

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Jul 6, 2020 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
Coldpain said:
MegamiRem said:
There's plenty of anime which dive deeper im first episode without any sort of explanation and it's perfectly fine. Anyway sure take ur time and see. There's lots of plot twist coming later.

That's why there's a lot bad anime in the first place lol. If this first episode is perfectly fine for you but not for me who did not know anything about this series. The animation is good overall, the fight looks amazing as expected from MAPPA, but for first impression is not good leaving audience in a void. That's all
Ye whatever lol, u really didn't get my point. First episode impression doesn't mean jack shit really. Anyway keep watching and see for urself if u'll like it or not.
Jul 6, 2020 11:20 AM

Oct 2017
shane_nichols said:
MegamiRem said:
How far have u read? Surely didn't get past first season lol? Cause this is not dragon ball series where only action matters. Sure it's mostly action but the story here is good unlike DB.
Enough to drop it. I read Tower of God though because it has much better writing.
How far is that enough is what I'm asking lol. First big plot twist is at the end of s1. Also GOH action is top notch.
May 2016
Bloddy brilliant!!!

I don't usually watch opening and endings, but the opening is rocking and the ending has some warm feeling to it.

Hooked on the 1st ep. Don't know why, but when i came earlier, before the ep aired, rating was 7 something, like wth, let it air first.

And can someone explain me the NoSe?

May 2019
They all must've caught flu

Ah, a good studio really does make a difference.

Even though I love ToG much more than GoHS, this premiere was much better than ToG's. And I feel like this adaptation will be much better than ToG's adaptation.

I'm hyped.

Good job, MAPPA (for now)
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jul 6, 2020 11:21 AM
Nov 2019
Fighting so good!!!
Its Like boom boom boom!! ,i didn't ever seen Anime fighting like this ,The best Martial art anime even The best anime this year !!!

Better than Cowboy bebop martial art and Naruto

Do you agree??

Oct 2017
MGrid said:
MegamiRem said:
How far have u read? Surely didn't get past first season lol? Cause this is not dragon ball series where only action matters. Sure it's mostly action but the story here is good unlike DB.

What are you talking about? Better than DB. This shit is not better than anything cause literally after the timeskip it becomes a complete pile of shit. Don't even try to compare those two.
Reviving a character for a million time is perfectly fine lmao? and Yelling your lungs out makes u op?and these are not even the worst of the story.

Jan 2008
Pretty entertaining if nothing else. Enjoying the hip hop ost/music.
Jul 6, 2020 11:22 AM

Aug 2018
It looked like the kind of show where action almost never stops : can't say I dislike that aspect

The fightning moves were entertaining, especially with the great soundtrack & the good use of punching/hits noises.
Jul 6, 2020 11:22 AM

Aug 2012
Dust_Eyezz said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Arifureta and good story? What did u smoke? Arifureta is the most generic garbage ever? It's like any other Isekai betray kinda stuff? Have you even watched the same arifureta as me? African meme movies have better CGI...
Then maybe you should rewatch it... not very generic from my pov. about CGI... is clear you grew up with movies that abuse CGI and that look like garbage so you have no idea how real stuff should look like.
VP2003boi said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

oh its obvius you dont know anything about animation, do you even know the basic principles? like the famous 12? Because it really doesnt seem like it if you are mainly talking about physic laws, muscle and bones, i REALLY dought that in 20 years you know less than me who has just been interesting in animation in about a year, so no need to lie here. And you complain about the shading, and yea no shading, nope, none whatsoever, its not like the clothes were stupidly detailed with shade nope, obviusly not.

kid.. you are clearly out of your league. You read some stuff here and there and think you know animation. The first animation I did was on an HC computer... have you even heard of stuff like this? Also I am complaining of shading when it comes to faces which are more important than clothes in my humble opinion. And if you are such a big shot show something you made you consider good.
Jul 6, 2020 11:23 AM
Jan 2019
For y'all asking what the hell is with the red noses and ears like they're drunk: it's just an artistic detail/choice made by the author. At least for me,it looks really cute and stands out as a nice touch.

Coming from a non-reader,this was really fun! Loved the upbeat op and ed. On the first glance the main trio looks like they could have great chemistry. Looks rushed as many above have said,but in this type of a setting I don't think even if they skip something that they can't come back to it or that it'll significantly hurt the flow of the story.
Jul 6, 2020 11:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Great chereographed fights, some hilarious humour and SAKUGA. Exactly what i expected from this and all i want.
Jul 6, 2020 11:25 AM
Jul 2019
Oh not bad, but IMO it would've be better if the seiyuus were Korean, since this is a Korean anime after all.
Jul 6, 2020 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
shane_nichols said:
MegamiRem said:
Enough to drop it. I read Tower of God though because it has much better writing.

Venumidas said:
Opening is fucking Mega Ass.

BUT DAMN THIS IS ACTUALLY SO FUCKING GOOD.

Finally after the Corona drought there is a good show to start off this new season.
The opening fits the show. Its a martial arts tournament with fancy dance moves

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

I'm talking about the shit music choice.
Jul 6, 2020 11:27 AM

Oct 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
MegamiRem said:
Laws of physics?Lol Check the genre tags of this show.
Jul 6, 2020 11:27 AM
Jun 2020
MegamiRem said:
Coldpain said:

That's why there's a lot bad anime in the first place lol. If this first episode is perfectly fine for you but not for me who did not know anything about this series. The animation is good overall, the fight looks amazing as expected from MAPPA, but for first impression is not good leaving audience in a void. That's all
Ye whatever lol, u really didn't get my point. First episode impression doesn't mean jack shit really. Anyway keep watching and see for urself if u'll like it or not.

First episode didn't mean jackshit?. Do you even know that 1st episode is a critical point to hook or not someone into the series?. I already stated my point about the first episode so far and like other series i'll try first 5 episodes.
Jul 6, 2020 11:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
God that was absolutely awful. I literally cringed at 3 points during the episode. I confess I only picked this up because MAPPA was doing it, and I generally never drop anything before I've seen a third of a season, but if its all like this, its gonna be a tough watch. All hype and no substance. The jokes were flat and the character designs were meh too. Let's hope it improves.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 2012
MegamiRem said:
MGrid said:

What are you talking about? Better than DB. This shit is not better than anything cause literally after the timeskip it becomes a complete pile of shit. Don't even try to compare those two.
Reviving a character for a million time is perfectly fine lmao? and Yelling your lungs out makes u op?and these are not even the worst of the story.

DB was a huge thing when it came up and is full of nostalgia for many. It was poor quality even for that time but it was all we got. The new DB movies are garbage . Not sure why would you even compare it with DB... Let's compare it to more recent garbage anime (even though popular) like Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail
May 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
Dust_Eyezz said:
Then maybe you should rewatch it... not very generic from my pov. about CGI... is clear you grew up with movies that abuse CGI and that look like garbage so you have no idea how real stuff should look like.
VP2003boi said:

kid.. you are clearly out of your league. You read some stuff here and there and think you know animation. The first animation I did was on an HC computer... have you even heard of stuff like this? Also I am complaining of shading when it comes to faces which are more important than clothes in my humble opinion. And if you are such a big shot show something you made you consider good.
Go back to your cave kiddo, if u are so old maybe you shouldn't watch anime and be a part of society instead of arguing with us on the forums. Maybe you should show your work first instead of bluffing and demanding somebodies work...

Oct 2017
Mario_Isla said:
MegamiRem said:

The animation is really good, but it's so unoriginal, all Mappa animes have the same art style. I think because that, some people can think that the animation is bad.
Umm they are following the webtoon artsyle thou. So Mappa has nothing to do with this artstyle.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Aug 10, 2020

173 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

bcra - Aug 3, 2020

239 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
Apr 29, 7:21 PM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

291 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
Apr 29, 6:51 PM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jul 20, 2020

269 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
Apr 22, 6:51 PM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jul 13, 2020

287 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 17, 4:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.