Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 25, 2020 5:50 PM

Jul 2019
Really unfortunate stuff man, I honestly wonder why people do that. I'd go for option 2 ideally but I don't have much ideas to ensure it works well so I think option 3 is probably what you'll have to do (well, if you want to). I don't care much about the ratings of episodes, I actually haven't gone on an episode discussion after watching "x" episode of "x" show ever so honestly those score manipulations don't matter at all to me. You had the firsthand data and then it was downvoted. Just keep with what you have. Anyways I don't think you'd have updated all episodes everytime you add some new ones (or maybe I'm wrong), so keeping on updating it like normally would be fine despite having scores displayed be at different times. Again, ideally all the 90+ scores would be revealed at once to stop this problem but things seem to not always go as planned...
Jun 25, 2020 9:33 PM
Feb 2019
BiDiGiN said:
Really unfortunate stuff man, I honestly wonder why people do that. I'd go for option 2 ideally but I don't have much ideas to ensure it works well so I think option 3 is probably what you'll have to do (well, if you want to). I don't care much about the ratings of episodes, I actually haven't gone on an episode discussion after watching "x" episode of "x" show ever so honestly those score manipulations don't matter at all to me. You had the firsthand data and then it was downvoted. Just keep with what you have. Anyways I don't think you'd have updated all episodes everytime you add some new ones (or maybe I'm wrong), so keeping on updating it like normally would be fine despite having scores displayed be at different times. Again, ideally all the 90+ scores would be revealed at once to stop this problem but things seem to not always go as planned...

People do that because, as some serial killer said, they can.
That must have sounded cringe af. xD

First, I forgot to mention it again, AAHHH! but there's actually a 4th option, well, kind of: to temporarily stop the updating of the list, and update it once and for all when the list is complete, for that case I would't need to re-release the list, so it could help with the downvoting, though I also was considering do it with the list up but just adding all the episodes premiered from here on that meet the requirements, to keep some actuality in the list (but that would bug the accuracy date). Doing this, it would be a more fair list, but it would last some few hours, because as fast as I do that update, I'm sure we'll be seing some titles being downvoted to hell (ok, not that badly) like we have seen, so after that it would lost that value; at the end, it doesn't solves the problem, it just delays it.

Second, I think I got right what you mean, so yeah, when one single episode meets the requirements it's added to the list without updating the whole thing, the only exception to it are recently premiered episode, to not bug the accuracy date, those instead are added with the weekly update next to its premiere; the 4th option would be similar, just that weekly updates would stop till the list gets completed. If I get right what you mean with updating it normally and keeping with what I have, yeah, that actually might help to reduce the problem, as any title outside the list would be kept safe, but, and I'm gonna sound like your average source material reader with every adaptation, things get really interesting from here on, so I really wanna continue with it as long as this is guaranteed to not be a major problem.

Last but not least, thank you for taking the time to response, it's actually helpful to see how others perceive this.
Nov 7, 2023 2:07 PM
Feb 2019
Hello there once again

Gotta be honest, I've always wondered if continuing this or not, and after giving it some thoughts, I decided to try it again.
Things have changed a lot, one pandemic included, from anime going fully mainstream to some new features in MAL, this list might be at its most meaningful moment while at the same time its more meaningless... it's weird. Just to better show the point, remember when Kimetsu no Yaiba 19 was the most voted episode ever? Now its 9k votes, while impressive, are not such a big thing, and with a wider audience it's far harder to make everyone join your hypetrain and maintain its momentum, reflected in many statistics, these episodes ratings among them (a little example); to say it clearly and short, nowadays it's not a common thing a rating as high a 90%, even those which have broken the internet have it hard to keep such universal level of approval, it's way uniquer to see that.
Yeah, main reason for this was to show off Frieren
Also, with rating wars being worse than ever, migrating to other sites even, and seeing what had happened before (feel free to read the whole thread, it's quite a show), this might be not so much of a good idea, but I just wanted to give it another shot.

Hope you enjoy
mafd12Nov 16, 2023 10:50 PM
Nov 16, 2023 10:50 PM
Feb 2019
If any of you remember, the rule for a new episode was that if it met the requirements I'd wait a day to add it to the list, with weekly updates on mind; now I think a week is a good time for ratings to settle and add the episode, with monthly updates being the new tentative if I continue with this list for real.
With that said, Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 added.
mafd12Nov 17, 2023 8:11 AM
Nov 17, 2023 3:08 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to mafd12
If any of you remember, the rule for a new episode was that if it met the requirements I'd wait a day to add it to the list, with weekly updates on mind; now I think a week is a good time for ratings to settle and add the episode, with monthly updates being the new tentative if I continue with this list for real.
With that said, Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 added.
@mafd12
Please do you mind writing the titles in English as well
Nov 17, 2023 4:02 AM

Nov 2023
Clannad:After story is a masterpiece, l loved seeing it on top.

Hush! My dear, don't you cry
Pino gonna sing you a lullaby
Hush! My dear, don't be sad
Pino gonna sing a song he heard.
Nov 17, 2023 3:57 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to Cestlavie_
@mafd12
Please do you mind writing the titles in English as well
@Cestlavie
For consistency's sake, I'll keep the titles of the series the same as they are on MAL
Nov 17, 2023 4:10 PM

Aug 2020
Yorimoi is such a behemoth for being there amongst long running shows lol

Dec 9, 2023 3:50 AM
Feb 2019
New update!

I decided to lower the cut line already, though just a little, to 900 votes. I also remarked the 90% as the minimum for entering the list, as I mentioned in a prior post, nowadays is pretty rare to witness these numbers despite the impact these episodes might've had in the community, so I was thinking that lowering the percentage might be fair... 89? 88? I'unno, what do you think?
I also started taking snapshots at the Web Archive, it might be a good countermeasure to downvoting.
Anyways, hope you enjoy.
mafd12Jan 23, 12:36 PM
Dec 30, 2023 6:37 PM

May 2019
mafd12 said:
Highest Rated Episodes in MAL
Current Cut Line: 900 votes - 90%

Clannad: After Story - Episode 18 -> 95.6% - 3389 votes
Gintama° - Episode 40 -> 95.5% - 1063 votes
Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Episode 135 -> 95.3% - 3814 votes
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho - Episode 12 -> 95.2% - 1697 votes
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 - Episode 5 -> 94.6% - 5550 votes
(...)

This list is pure gold, thanks for updating it!

Even better than the general MAL ranking to point superb anime.

And 90% 5/5 is ok for a selection of really excepcional episodes.
Rob7Dec 30, 2023 6:41 PM
Dec 31, 2023 6:19 AM
Dec 2023
Thank you for making this list. I'm so surprised that a list like this is still updating after three and a half years! Happy new year btw!

Since the list is sorted by percentage, lowering the percentage to 89% or 88% will just make the list longer. I've read the whole thread, but I'm don't exactly understand what the problem is. However, I think you could add a separater at 90% or whatever level you deem fit, leave a note there to make your message clear: "Some episodes below may not be as good" or something like that.

To be honest, I am not really bothered about current level of score manipulation. Half of the anime on the list are not my genre and I don't even like them. However, I'm surprised to see that some of the anime I like are on the list, and it makes me want to rewatch some of them, and I think it's great! Thank you again for making this list.
Jan 23, 12:26 PM
Feb 2019
New update!
Cut line has been lowered again, now it's at 750 votes; a good bunch of new titles got into. Also, for now I'll keep it at 90% and see how it goes, but I'm starting to lean onto lowering it a bit.

Happy new year btw! Almost february already but still
Jan 23, 1:14 PM

Jan 2021
Very rarely do I remember (or vote) for specific episodes, but episode 12 of Bakemonogatari was really special.

Jan 23, 2:06 PM

Aug 2018
After Story #18 absolutely deserves the top ranking. Faith in humanity restored.
Jan 23, 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
One Piece 1015 was fucking stellar dude, it got me so emotional.

Also it baffles me that One Piece 1062 is not in the top 10, shit not even on the list even

It was the KING OF HELL episode, and was easily top 3 greatest episodes ever made in anime history
Jan 23, 2:41 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to DoctorWasabi

Also it baffles me that One Piece 1062 is not in the top 10, shit not even on the list even

It was the KING OF HELL episode, and was easily top 3 greatest episodes ever made in anime history
@DoctorWasabi Yeah, a victim of downvoting as well
Jan 23, 3:37 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to mafd12
New update!
Cut line has been lowered again, now it's at 750 votes; a good bunch of new titles got into. Also, for now I'll keep it at 90% and see how it goes, but I'm starting to lean onto lowering it a bit.

Happy new year btw! Almost february already but still
@mafd12 I think the threshold of 90% "loved it" is ideal, but the threshold of 750 votes seems kind of random. I understand that it shouldn't be too low, otherwise obscure stuff could enter the list, but on the other hand there are many older episodes from early MAL times when much less users rated the episodes. For example One Piece Episode 309 is one of the most famous and liked episodes of the entire franchise, but even with 90.9% it doesn't make it into your list because it currently has less than 400 votes due to the aforementioned reason.
Another slightly odd thing is that your list currently is a top 71 list, instead of top 100.
Do you know how many new episodes would enter your list if you lowered the vote-threshold to 250 ?
If that's not enough to turn it into a top 100 list, then how low would it have to be in order to include the missing 29 episodes?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 29, 7:42 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
@mafd12 I think the threshold of 90% "loved it" is ideal, but the threshold of 750 votes seems kind of random. I understand that it shouldn't be too low, otherwise obscure stuff could enter the list, but on the other hand there are many older episodes from early MAL times when much less users rated the episodes. For example One Piece Episode 309 is one of the most famous and liked episodes of the entire franchise, but even with 90.9% it doesn't make it into your list because it currently has less than 400 votes due to the aforementioned reason.
Another slightly odd thing is that your list currently is a top 71 list, instead of top 100.
Do you know how many new episodes would enter your list if you lowered the vote-threshold to 250 ?
If that's not enough to turn it into a top 100 list, then how low would it have to be in order to include the missing 29 episodes?
@Zarutaku I actually hadn't considered a top, I was just listing the episodes that met the criteria, but after you mentioned it I made the exercise, though I decided to include only 1000+ votes episodes, to make it easier (it wasn't).

Also, doing the research I remember that I had a screenshot of the list before the renewal, where you can see what I talked about, the fewer votes and the more broad sample of titles as it was more common for a series to get good episodes ratings before.

Jan 29, 8:20 PM

Nov 2023
Reply to DoctorWasabi

@DoctorWasabi As a One Piece Fan I'm agreed.

Jan 30, 3:39 AM

Jul 2022
Interesting, although I suggest lowering the vote cut line back to 500-600, leaving it at 750 leaves a lot of underrated titles unknown since most MAL users don't comment on episodes anyways.
Jan 30, 3:40 AM

Nov 2023
I Really love the Clannad after story .

Jan 30, 4:54 AM
Aug 2021
Very surprised End of the Prologue (Vinland Saga, ep 24) isn't on here considering its 9.9 imdb rating.
Jan 30, 5:47 AM

Aug 2023
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 is the best episode i have watched in all anime. That episode was beyond amazing.
Feb 17, 1:30 AM
Feb 2019
New update once again.
Cut line lowered to 600 votes, a good number of new titles got into but, as some might have expected, the dominance by Gintama and One Piece starts to show off. Also, BokuYabai S2 episode 6 added.
Feb 17, 2:27 AM

Jul 2022
Nice, now some underrated stuff are showing up.
Feb 23, 11:41 PM
Feb 2019
The list now has over 100 titles, so I decided to add recently aired episodes straigth onto the list after a week without updating the whole list (I updated it for Frieren's 10th iirc), despite messing a little with the accuracy date. Therefore, BokuYabai S2 episode 7 added.
Feb 23, 11:46 PM

Feb 2020
Nice to see K-On!!, Sora yori mo Tooi Basho, and Haikyuu!! on the list.
Mar 9, 5:47 PM

May 2019
I don't think it will last more than a few days in the top 100, but right now the best episode of Sousou no Frieren made to the list: 91,7% 5/5

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2149633&show=0
Mar 15, 7:09 AM
Feb 2019
Reply to Rob7
I don't think it will last more than a few days in the top 100, but right now the best episode of Sousou no Frieren made to the list: 91,7% 5/5

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2149633&show=0
Yeah, as stated before, a week of wait to let it settle a bit, so now it's added.
Mar 22, 7:16 AM
Feb 2019
Well, new update.
Tentatively, next month the cut line will down to 500 votes, which could be the definitive. I'll be thinking about it.
Apr 6, 10:50 AM
Feb 2019
It's been a week, so BokuYabai S2 episode 13 now added.
Apr 6, 11:02 AM

Sep 2016
How do you find all these episodes that fulfill the requirements and how can you be sure that you didn't miss any?
Apr 6, 11:19 AM

Oct 2019
Id Invaded ep 10 being there is extremely surprising to me despite believing it deserves it.

Maybe some corners of this website have good taste after all.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 9, 1:30 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
How do you find all these episodes that fulfill the requirements and how can you be sure that you didn't miss any?
@Zarutaku Short answer: I'm not fully sure. Someone said they knew a perfect episode rating, up to this day I'unno which one he's talking about
But as I mentioned before, there were some other lists which helped me at the start, @Damuzen the most helpful without a shred of doubt, and with that base I made a first list, with all the episodes qualified that I found at the time (in middle of the pandemic, with all the time of the world, naturally), and I've been adding upon that list episodes from new series or that have gotten an increase on either score or number of votes to enter the list. And it's been like that all this time.
Apr 9, 1:52 PM
Jan 2016
The fact that there is not a single fullmetal alchemist episode on this list tells something.
Apr 14, 1:03 AM
Feb 2019
One Piece 1100 added.

OiGon said:
The fact that there is not a single fullmetal alchemist episode on this list tells something.

Downvoted as well. With all the score wars FMA:B has been involved it's just natural, I guess, but still this shows the ugly side of MAL rankings.
Apr 14, 1:12 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to OiGon
@OiGon Toxic people and bots just don't rate on this site in justly manner.
Apr 15, 4:03 AM
Apr 15, 4:25 AM

Jan 2019
this is really interesting, I always wanted to find this exact list for a long time, thanks!
not surprised Clannad After Story got the top spot tho
Apr 28, 10:05 PM

May 2019
sorry for the bring it since is far from the top, but it happened right now and could not stop laughing. Also, remembered of this thread.

Apr 30, 8:18 PM

Nov 2020
The top is where it belongs 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
May 8, 3:26 PM
Feb 2019
New update.
With a lower cut line we see some new titles, and more Gintama and One Piece as well. I was wondering about either leaving it here at 500, a pretty round number, or lower it a bit more, which would give space to more obscure titles to get in, though that might just be a question of time too.
I'unno.
May 9, 1:21 AM

Sep 2016
Ohh new update, I really like this topic!

Aria the Origination now leading the field seems well deserved to me, I saw it many years ago and still vividly recall the feeling of episode 9.

mafd12 said:
I was wondering about either leaving it here at 500, a pretty round number, or lower it a bit more
I tend to agree, 500 seems solid, maybe 400 but not any lower. Hopefully One Piece episode 309 will make it into the ranking some day.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 18

85 by TheEyceOfSpades »»
2 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 2 hours ago

24 by Gashadokur0 »»
12 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

41 by APolygons2 »»
18 minutes ago

» Courage the Cowardly Dog Anime

ZakuF_ - 3 hours ago

15 by pk8list »»
19 minutes ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan? ( 1 2 )

Ex-Aid - 11 hours ago

63 by PeripheralVision »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.