Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 22, 2016 3:01 PM
Jul 2013
This was a truly emotional episode! The momentum at the end was makes me love anime so much. It was truly beautiful. Either team could have won and i wouldve been happy but yeah, Haikyuu is pure sport anime awesomeness
Apr 2, 2016 11:05 AM

Mar 2015
I was so surprised that they lost. Like... in every anime of this genre the main team always winning, no matter how much stronger their opponent.
And damn, I like how they've done it. Really refreshing to see the moments like this. Got goosebumps from watching the episode.

Amazing anime so far, looking forward for the next season.
"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside of ourselves and our dreams."
Apr 24, 2016 6:39 AM

Mar 2016
May 10, 2016 9:56 AM

Feb 2016
if you stay on you hands and knees that proves you are weak. -both of them standing up-
that sums it up i'd say. that loss is actually more entertaining than the opposite.
May 13, 2016 3:43 AM

Mar 2016
that last scene (ಥ﹏ಥ)
Bruneian
Here
Feel
Free
To
Add
Mehh
You
Fkin
Scrub
May 28, 2016 12:29 PM

Jan 2016
damm can't believe they lost
Jun 23, 2016 10:52 PM

Apr 2015
Getting serious KnB vibes from this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2016 7:00 AM

Mar 2014
NOOOOO OIKAWA Y U DO DIS
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2016 1:19 AM

Apr 2013
Sad for Karasuno, happy for Oikawa and his team.

Alsa last scene, everyone was crying except Tsukishima. :D
Nov 6, 2016 10:16 AM

Feb 2014

I want to wipe that grin off sensei's face! Thank you for cockblocking sensei...NOT! >__</

Apart from that, i feel emotionally exhausted now... still good episode but happy the match is over.
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Feb 1, 2017 2:30 PM
Mar 2015
When the girls started clapping at the end, something broke inside me, started crying.
Feb 2, 2017 10:42 AM
Jul 2015
haji1 said:
When the girls started clapping at the end, something broke inside me, started crying.
Ikr I was also just as angry as sad because Karasuno weren't letting out any emotions yet then came that ending scene..... at that moment I died.... no really im a ghost right now I cant feel emotion anymore ;(
Feb 5, 2017 7:57 PM

Dec 2016
Gosh, Kageyama got so mentally fucked up during this episode/match, it's going to be crazy seeing him come back from it now
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 24, 2017 7:11 AM

Aug 2016
This episode was actually very sad. Never thought Karasuno would lose again.

Set by SenpieX
Feb 26, 2017 4:24 PM
Jun 2016
Awww better luck next time.
Mar 24, 2017 12:22 AM

May 2009
Aaah...too bad that they lost. They fought well, but so did the other team as well. But they will at least have a chance to improve and learn from their mistakes. The ending where Ukai treated them to food was so nice. He is a good coach for them. They probably would never gotten this far without him.

Looking forward to see how the team develops and how the players will strengthen their bond to each other.

I've never been that into volleyball before, but now I am...funny how animes can change your view on things.
Even if the future is locked or erased I won't end this prayer because I want to convey my real feelings to you

Apr 16, 2017 11:19 AM

May 2014
Yup, saw this coming. Was still a great match. This show seems to have the most crying of any sports anime I've seen. Good on Tsukki for holding it together though :P. Wonder what the last episode will be? Will Aoba Josai now lose to the #1 seed school? Or will they just show them training for the next tourney?
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
May 16, 2017 7:24 AM

Jan 2013
Oh damn, can't believe they lost against this bratty Oikawa.
At least, I'm happy when they are eating. xD

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 3, 2017 3:21 AM

Mar 2016
the last scene is so perfect.

i just cry for them
Oct 9, 2017 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
Can't say I didn't call them losing to them but damn that match exciting as hell!
I kinda teared up with that final scene at the restaurant aswell :/

I love how Oikawa even recognizes that Kageyama is going to be a real pain in the ass later on.
Jan 6, 2018 2:57 AM

Jan 2015
I binge watch 10 episodes, its 3AM and they effing lose!
I can't anymore, these type of anime's are not good for my soul T_T

Excellent episode by the way.
May 7, 2018 12:48 AM

Jun 2016
I really did like this episode so let me get what I didn't out of the way. I didn't like how we had Seijoh characterized with a flashback dump, I'd rather we had them characterized in the game through their actions, or out of the game, or even through a longer more thorough flashback than what we got. Instead we got a weird mix and so little that it would have been better without. Melodramatic flashbacks about characters we don't care about to get emotion out of us are great right, well not really but Haikyuu seems to think so. This was reminiscent to the 'winners and losers' episode in that way. The biggest flaw in Haikyuu is its uninspired characterization of characters who don't matter, and its on the nose nature which spells everything out. I wasn't a huge fan of how Oikawa realized the notion of how he was looking at their future opponents face, rather than the opponent right in front of them. Something like Baby Steps did the exact same thing but much better with the character in question slowly realizing it for himself and when he realized it, it was the memorable changing point of the match. Here it's welcome, however it shows the cheesy quick nature of this anime which can sometimes be a little too quick, alike how Kageyama changed to trust his team in seconds after watching Suga play. It's not a bad thing, and sometimes it's a strength, but I think it could be done better and have more thoroughly explored ideas because of it.

But forget that. I stated this episode reminded me of 'winners and losers', and it did in more than the bad ways. Rather than seeing forgettable characters have sad flashbacks and montages, and a rather good scene lessened by on the nose storytelling, we had an incredibly sad release of the characters we already know and love losing. The one's that we don't need flashbacks to understand how much they want to win, or how much work they put in. This was strengthened due to the fact that I once heard that Haikyuu is an anime that ends a season mid tournament. Because I heard that I assumed deep down that Karasuno had to win this, there was no doubt in my mind. The final point was awesome and I was ready to see them win and ... they got blocked. I told myself 'NOYA'S GOING TO GET IT' off my understanding that this season would end mid tournament. And... he didn't. I couldn't believe it and it was great, although if I didn't have that false spoiler I would still be in a 50/50 over if it would end with a win or not due to there being one more episode that could be used for a set up to season 2 regardless.

Karasuno's losing moments were hard to watch. You could tell purely from the look on Hinata's face when he was told that the next team was coming in to warm up, that he was finally realizing that his time on the court was over.
Everyone's responses to it were heartbreaking. At least during the last moments, we got the cutest shot of Kiyoko which helped lessen this blow.

There is no doubt in my mind that this episode was to show the process of falling over and getting back up. It was to show devastating loss to Karasuno but also end in a motivating fashion. It was well done and it's the most emotional I've been from an anime since I watched Devilman Crybaby. Not nearly on the same level but still pretty emotional. "Does losing make you weak? Staying on your hands and knees makes you weak". Words to live by! And finally in the eating scene we saw them all crying while eating to the message "eat, and grow stronger", furthering the point.

As much as I didn't like this episode and the last to a certain degree, the last being my least favorite episode in the series, this was some good stuff. This tournament opened up the one note characters like Kiyoko, Tsukki, and Yamaguchi, allowed Asahi to gain confidence and had an incredibly satisfying affirmation of Noya's words, opened up Daichi and Suga as characters- especially Suga, and allowed Kageyama to truly learn how to work with the rest of his team, confront his fears, and finally start reclaiming the title of king in a way that isn't meant to denote his egocentricity. That's only mentioning a few. I loved the Dateko game from start to finish, and loved what the Seijoh team meant for our cast even if overall it wasn't perfect.
Jun 25, 2019 5:25 PM

Apr 2018
I honestly thought they were going to win. My heart was racing so much at the thought of them tieing here and there. I'm so sad that they lost. When everyone cried at dinner-- man.. I cried too. I know that feeling all too well. I can't wait for the second season! They'll be back much stronger than before!
Aug 4, 2019 5:07 AM

May 2015
AHahah what a loosers.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 22, 2019 11:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, that's got to sting real bad! Kageyama & Hinata's special right at the very end, when better than this, and yet Oikawa saw it coming, I don't know about you but that's a trait of a true genius to me. Superb use of OSTs yet again, I just can't seem to have enough of it, God bless you Yuki Hayashi and the Sound Director!

Having Oikawa's monologue didn't help either. But it was nice to see how he changed his impression of Karasuno a bit now and the standing ovation that they got was well deserved! Great Stuff! Seeing those tears in the end, painful stuff jeez. Coach knows it all it all too well seems and it's great to see him being considerate! Loved that bit from the two getting up after the Manager's little quote (props tp HiroKami for that amazing VA), a good 10 seconds there very brilliantly utilised o give more depth to the whole loss there.

Looks like Aoba has made it through the Quarter-Finals too, interesting. Definitely curious to see what's in store for me next!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 29, 2019 9:32 PM

Mar 2018
And that's the best episode of the season, which is actually saying something considering the overall quality of the series.

The loss was surprising on the moment but deep down I knew that they needed that to grow. Everything leading up to it was phenomenal, Oikawa's serve, Kageyama's trust in his teammates, all of it served by incredible animation, direction and score.

But the cherry on the cake was that very last scene, seeing all of them cry was so sad, especially the 3rd years.
Sep 1, 2019 6:52 PM

Sep 2018
Uwahhhh TT--TT I thought they gonna win it huhu they still have next time, failure is a learning! 大丈夫 !! <3
Nov 23, 2019 6:10 PM
Apr 2018
Oh man.... there it goes the last chance for the 3rd graders. I was really confident that Karasuno would win although I also thought that if they did, it would be kind of an asspull, which I didn't want to happen. So I guess this was for the better.

The restaurant scene was charming.
Jan 4, 2020 1:15 AM

Dec 2014
Damn that was depressing and real too..... it is so frustrating that they ost...was still hoping for a miracle...I hope they will come out as stronger,,,.. wASN''T THIS THE LAST MATCH OF THE THIRD YEARS
Jan 5, 2020 1:43 PM

Mar 2014
welp RIP my heart

I kinda expected this, but it was still heartbreaking seeing Karasuno's loss after everyone's tremendous effort. I mean, both teams deserved to win, but that obviously can't happen :( I really wish Karasuno would have won this one.

I liked the bit where Kageyama decided to embrace teamwork. Since very early in the show it has been made clear that he values his teammates and respects them, so the title they had given him was unfair, but now it seems like he has truly embraced the team spirit.

While it may be bittersweet, I am sure the next few matches will be just as exciting as this one. They all tried their best after, so they can have no regrets before moving forward.
Jan 9, 2020 8:51 PM

Jan 2018
Hate that I had the final scene spoiled for me a while ago, but man this episode dredged up memories of my high school days playing sports. Haikyuu is already working it's way up into my favorites and I'm looking forward to these next three seasons.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 10, 2020 6:03 PM
Sep 2017
Wow - what an exciting and emotional episode! I’m not a manga reader, and I’ve managed to avoid spoilers, so I really didn’t know if they won or lost this game. I figured for sure they wouldn’t go all the way this year, but I was practically chewing my fingernails during that last game, because I thought maybe they made it at least one step further!
That last scene of the boys crying while eating though - that just killed me - I had tears running down my face. If you’ve ever been around high school competitive sports like that, either on the team yourself or supporting someone you love (which I have), that scene is enough to rip your heart out. :(
Feb 1, 2020 5:17 PM

Jul 2013
Damn I really expected them to win against Aoba Johsai and then lose to Shiratorizawa. Anyway, when they were crying it reminded me of Slam Dunk, I think they got to finals but lost to the champions but I'm not 100% sure, then the whole team fucking bawled especially Sakuragi, the protagonist. One of the best sports anime out there btw.
Feb 9, 2020 5:18 PM
Feb 2017
Wow, them losing actually made me feel so sad. The beginning of the series started slow, but man now I’m just getting hyped and sad about it. Why do this to me Haikyuu...
Mar 15, 2020 6:25 PM
Dec 2019
That final eating scene was powerful, and that's from someone who knew it was coming (I accidentally spoiled it for myself before even starting the series, it was just a matter of when it was coming).

Who says sports anime can't be amazing and emotional?
Mar 18, 2020 4:21 PM

Dec 2019
Oh man what a game, i thought that they were gonna win that one, too bad tho.

That last scene where they all cried got me hard :'(
                                                         🖤   

Mar 25, 2020 10:30 PM

Sep 2018
I expected them to win since all the animes I've won allllwayyys make the mc/mc's team win. This time they lost and tbh I am glad. They feel frustrated and sad since they lost & it has a much bigger impact on the story then if they won every single game first try.

When they lost I knew that someone would come running in and declaring that the other team did ___ and that the Ravens actually won, but no one did and I am glad it didn't. It adds to the story since, in sports, you won't always win. In the ending (after the ending song) you can see them crying while eating and it made me have so many emotions since I knew how they felt. This anime has it's beautiful moments and im all here for it.
May 21, 2020 1:32 PM

Aug 2017
Even though I wished they had won, I already suspected that they were going to lose since those flashbacks started showing Oikawa and Shiratorizawa several episodes ago. The episode felt quite emotional.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 6, 2020 2:46 PM

Feb 2017

"Someone who's blind to the opponent in front of them can't beat the opponent that comes after them."

Jun 11, 2020 8:14 AM

May 2018
rip, Karasuno lost T_T but this means that the first years can improve and get more experience so that they can fight even harder next year! One more set!
Jun 11, 2020 8:15 AM

May 2018
-envy-v2 said:
Oh man what a game, i thought that they were gonna win that one, too bad tho.

That last scene where they all cried got me hard :'(

that last scene made me hard as well
Jul 20, 2020 11:38 PM

Jun 2020
i think it was realistic & definitely plays at our heartstrings that they didn’t win, they’ll only come back stronger! what a great match tho, so intense!!

i didn’t think haikyuu would ever make me cry - that after credits scene where they were crying while eating that touched me ☹☹

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 14, 2020 9:38 AM

Apr 2020
I watch this rather late xD 6 years late, this episode really took me,
Aug 14, 2020 9:40 AM

Apr 2020
ribbonaffair said:
i think it was realistic & definitely plays at our heartstrings that they didn’t win, they’ll only come back stronger! what a great match tho, so intense!!

i didn’t think haikyuu would ever make me cry - that after credits scene where they were crying while eating that touched me ☹☹

Yeah at first i don't think haikyu will ever make me cry, but that defeat, really touch me xD
Aug 16, 2020 3:58 AM
Sep 2015
This match lasted too many episodes... Glad it's over now.

I didn't expect Karasuno to lose, so that was shocking.
Aug 27, 2020 11:20 PM

Sep 2016
i really like the realism in the show, the creators are showing us the cast isnt op and winning every match this eps was firee
Facta Non Verba
Nov 14, 2020 6:04 AM
Dec 2019
really painful loss. I actually felt their pain through a screen.
Feb 12, 2021 1:48 PM

Mar 2019
No
Way.
This was the outcome? Aoba Johsai WON??
I was 1000% sure that Karasuno's going to win. Damn, this makes me sad and "happy" at the same time. I DON'T WANT ASAHI, DAICHI AND SUGA TO LEAVE. I WANT THEM TO GO TO NATIONALS!! But Oikawa's backstory also made me like him a lot and I kinda hoped they would also win. They also destroyed the next team. I swear, if they aren't going to beat the #1 team (forgot their name) I'll be mad.
But I don't want the third years to go :'(
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Feb 17, 2021 3:13 PM
Jul 2020
They lost :( I’m surprised, the way it was going I thought they were going to win. Oikawa and Iwa are funny! Also that scene at the end of the ep.:(
Mar 19, 2021 5:16 AM

Jan 2021
Man, they lost after all and this realism is making me all teary-eyed😭, guess Oikawa's crucial experience in pressure situations and the bond with his teammates pulled Saijo through that last inch of victory line. What a masterpiece of an anime!!

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

325 by Carpal_Tunnel69 »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2014

169 by ElGuaguaso »»
Mar 29, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2014

171 by Arizona89 »»
Mar 27, 6:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.