Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Bullet (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 29, 2014 10:27 PM

Mar 2013
Why the fuck are they acting like a last episode at episode 4? Calm down, damn.

Seriously though, for every good point about this anime, I can think of at least 4 faults. It's not even bad, it's just... horribly disappointing to see all this potential get thrown through the dirt and made into just an ok anime, if that. Even if it is weirdass lolicon half the time, at least the plot seemed somewhat interesting - now they're just rushing that. The MC's just a cardboard cut-out of angsty backstory and stupid OP powers too. Suddenly half-cyborg for plot point!!! Heals instantly always!!!! NevER LOSES EVER!!!!!

Really though, it's not interesting to see a guy that suddenly has the answer to every issue for no reason. It's getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he turns around and reveals that his breath can melt monsters if he breathes within range of them and his dick fires a death defying laser that heals the lolis by having creepy fanservice scenes with them. It wouldn't matter so much if it all seemed like they weren't just pulling it out of their ass with no foreshadowing. Like, how was the fact that the MC has robot arms and legs not mentioned until literally one scene before it saves the world? How many stupid powers can one skinny teenage boy even have? It's not like he's having to train or earn them, he literally just... has them.
Apr 29, 2014 10:33 PM

Oct 2013
I guess I'm the only one who really liked this episode.
Apr 29, 2014 10:43 PM

Nov 2013
The varanium shot wasn't the only thing going at near lightspeed this episode.
Still a good episode.. for the most part.
Apr 29, 2014 10:44 PM

Nov 2012
HueBrDeus said:
I guess I'm the only one who really liked this episode.

Nope. there's at least you, me, Afezeria, and the other people who rated the episode as "Loved it." I guess the people with negative votes for the episode are just more vocal in this thread than the people who really enjoyed it.
Apr 29, 2014 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
First of all I want to say that I actually enjoyed this episode. Also, I almost NEVER complain about a rushed episode/series, but man the pacing was awful. It's actually very disappointing because this anime adaption seems like it has A LOT of potential if more episodes were given.

What a shame.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2014 10:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
BreakingSad said:
That ED was awesome. Who sings it?

Yanagi Nagi, the same person who sang the other ED :)
Apr 29, 2014 11:35 PM

Apr 2013
Sin (FFX)!! I thought you were gone.
And that whole railgun scene reminds me of Evangelion.
How screw up can they guys at HQ be.
Apr 29, 2014 11:37 PM
Mar 2009
I didn't read the LN or whatever, but I take it from previous comments that a lot was cut from the source material. In that case, it might answer some of my questions, but I wonder:

1) How could they have a tracker on the bad guy in the mask (they confirmed his death when the signal disappeared), but yet not actually know where he is? (seems like they were looking blindly for him earlier, based on his general direction and of course spotting the flying spider thingy...)
2) Why are they cameras on (or near) the ship? Are those cameras from support ships? If so, can't they shoot the guy before he can do the summon? I know he is powerful but I think a powerful blast from a ship's canon might make him thing twice.
3)The railgun was supposed to take sub-800mm rounds. That's less than 1 cm. There is no way that the whole arm of the guy was that small, nor that aerodynamic, yet the animation made it clear that it was loaded as a single round. Also, who leaves a weapon of mass destruction fully powered, but unguarded in any way, and with no actual shells to fire? Also, who leaves a weapon of mass destruction unguarded -- um, yeah, I know, I said that already. It doesn't make any sense for that plot juice that made the protagonist the sacrificial hero.
4) the political thing. What sort of man politician would actually summon a Level 5 just to stop a law from passing? Is he also a deluded zealot with no comprehension of the gravity of a Level 5, or some sort of martyrdom dream where he would perish in the apocalypse which he caused himself?
5) ... the other things, I just forgot. I wanted to enjoy the anime so I shut off my analytical mind partway through.

Overall, this episode felt like it was seriously missing in stuff. It was hard to just relax and go with the flow, because what I like anime for: well-thought out plots which are consistent for the most part -- just wasn't there.

Maybe it is the fault of the adaptation team and time-budget (trying to fit a 26-episode series into 13 episodes was a problem for some other series, and something like Tsukihime was a terrible adaptation due to pacing and shallow understanding of the source, but also, trying to fit it into two few episodes).

Maybe I just expect too much from anime... there is so much coming out now that I suppose not everything can be great anymore. The studios must be swamped with more ideas than they can produce, and the budget must be stretched thing in terms of time and talent, even if not (due to stimulus incentives and such) actual money.

I hope that the LN gets an official English release, and/or the anime gets another adaptation, because although I haven't read it, I am sure that the concepts they are alluding to have the potential to make for a great series and with some thought it might become a big franchise... but as it is, they are better alternatives.

Gunslinger Girls, for example, seems to share some of the dynamics, but does it somewhat better, although quite differently. And then there is Evangelion....

Well, anyhow, will prob. watch at least next episode. Was not disappointing enough to drop it. Could have been way better, though.

This has been a wall of text powered by disappointment.
Apr 29, 2014 11:53 PM

Dec 2010
Good episode! Makes me remember why I like this show. The first episode was okay, second episode was great, third episode was okay, and fourth episode is great again! It seems like there's a lot of back and forth for me, but overall I'm enjoying it. I like my shows dark, so this is working out for me just fine!
Apr 30, 2014 12:02 AM

Jun 2013
Enju's results at the end. . oh noes
Apr 30, 2014 12:42 AM

Apr 2013
FlamingYu said:
Sin (FFX)!! I thought you were gone.
And that whole railgun scene reminds me of Evangelion.
How screw up can they guys at HQ be.

Haha glad to see I wasn't the only one who was reminded of Sin. Especially with the movements and noises it made :)

Pretty cool episode, best so far for me :). Only a bit rushed but that's to be expected with the 1 cour announcement...
Apr 30, 2014 1:21 AM

Jul 2013
D5 said:
I didn't read the LN or whatever, but I take it from previous comments that a lot was cut from the source material. In that case, it might answer some of my questions, but I wonder:

1) How could they have a tracker on the bad guy in the mask (they confirmed his death when the signal disappeared), but yet not actually know where he is? (seems like they were looking blindly for him earlier, based on his general direction and of course spotting the flying spider thingy...)
2) Why are they cameras on (or near) the ship? Are those cameras from support ships? If so, can't they shoot the guy before he can do the summon? I know he is powerful but I think a powerful blast from a ship's canon might make him thing twice.
3)The railgun was supposed to take sub-800mm rounds. That's less than 1 cm. There is no way that the whole arm of the guy was that small, nor that aerodynamic, yet the animation made it clear that it was loaded as a single round. Also, who leaves a weapon of mass destruction fully powered, but unguarded in any way, and with no actual shells to fire? Also, who leaves a weapon of mass destruction unguarded -- um, yeah, I know, I said that already. It doesn't make any sense for that plot juice that made the protagonist the sacrificial hero.
4) the political thing. What sort of man politician would actually summon a Level 5 just to stop a law from passing? Is he also a deluded zealot with no comprehension of the gravity of a Level 5, or some sort of martyrdom dream where he would perish in the apocalypse which he caused himself?
5) ... the other things, I just forgot. I wanted to enjoy the anime so I shut off my analytical mind partway through.

Overall, this episode felt like it was seriously missing in stuff. It was hard to just relax and go with the flow, because what I like anime for: well-thought out plots which are consistent for the most part -- just wasn't there.

Maybe it is the fault of the adaptation team and time-budget (trying to fit a 26-episode series into 13 episodes was a problem for some other series, and something like Tsukihime was a terrible adaptation due to pacing and shallow understanding of the source, but also, trying to fit it into two few episodes).

Maybe I just expect too much from anime... there is so much coming out now that I suppose not everything can be great anymore. The studios must be swamped with more ideas than they can produce, and the budget must be stretched thing in terms of time and talent, even if not (due to stimulus incentives and such) actual money.

I hope that the LN gets an official English release, and/or the anime gets another adaptation, because although I haven't read it, I am sure that the concepts they are alluding to have the potential to make for a great series and with some thought it might become a big franchise... but as it is, they are better alternatives.

Gunslinger Girls, for example, seems to share some of the dynamics, but does it somewhat better, although quite differently. And then there is Evangelion....

Well, anyhow, will prob. watch at least next episode. Was not disappointing enough to drop it. Could have been way better, though.

This has been a wall of text powered by disappointment.

this is a wall of spoilers i know:
(mainly from translated text in animetsuki-forum, they nearly completed book two in it)

EDIT: found a summary of the discussion between tendo and rentaro

AAAAND THE EPILOUGE WITH KAYO'S DEATH AND ENJUS CORROSION RATE

UrekApr 30, 2014 3:20 AM
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Apr 30, 2014 1:25 AM

Feb 2012
A fucking tricycle. A fucking broken tricycle. Couldn't they think of anything better?

Apr 30, 2014 1:28 AM
Jul 2013
another rush episode >< that fight feels like I just watched the final battle of Guilty Crown again it only lasted for a couple of minute.

Those who read the manga are aware that lots of great scene were taken out. ><

Apr 30, 2014 2:41 AM

Dec 2011
Urek said:
AAAAND THE EPILOUGE WITH TINAS DEATH AND ENJUS CORROSION RATE

It's Kayo not Tina, she haven't made her appearence yet though i can't wait for her interaction with Rentarou.
"There is no sorrow if you are prepared"
Apr 30, 2014 3:14 AM

Apr 2013
So we go from Sato getting destroyed by Kagetane and do a complete 180. Villain gets his head twisted around in the first episode but now a kick to the face kills him.

Even with the rushing problems because of only 13 episodes, I still find myself enjoying this. I wonder what it could have been like if it was 2cour.
Apr 30, 2014 3:20 AM

Jul 2013
Fritzion said:
Urek said:
AAAAND THE EPILOUGE WITH TINAS DEATH AND ENJUS CORROSION RATE

It's Kayo not Tina, she haven't made her appearence yet though i can't wait for her interaction with Rentarou.

sorry my bad, edited it.

i was already rereading the next part of it ^_^

but seriously, gonna put my expectation really low... they gonna butcher tons of scenes >_>
UrekApr 30, 2014 3:24 AM
current LN reading:
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Apr 30, 2014 3:23 AM
Apr 2013
They rushed a good amount this episode but it was still pretty good. That fight was just disappointing though :?
So i wonder what the tricycle means. I mean all Gastrea are humans is the only thing I can guess
Apr 30, 2014 3:28 AM

Dec 2013
Not a bad episode. I've been iffy about this series for the last three episodes, but this episode I found to more to my liking than the previous. Not gonna say it's great, or awesome, or anything like that; but, I will say that it was a good episode and I enjoyed it.

I haven't read the source material, so the anime is it for me, it would probably be different if I'd of read the manga/LN. But, simply as an anime, I find that this could be a decent show, maybe even good. It has that much potential, at least.

So, I'll give this one a 6/10
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 30, 2014 3:39 AM

May 2013
How the hell did this devolve into generic shounen shit in a single episode?

-Naming and shouting out all of his attacks.
-Random power ups that he had all along, but for some reason decided to only use at dramatic moments.
-Bad guy so surprised that MC countered ONE of his attacks, so has no choice but to resign and accept his fate of being kicked in the face and killed.
-"She's not our enemy anymore. Don't worry about all the murder and whatnot. No biggie. Let's just leave her."
-You can do it because you fight for your friends! /wrist
-Plot-convenient bullshit galore.

And LOL at like 3 plot threads all being wrapped up in about 5 minutes.

Not exactly a drop-worthy episode, but a huge step down from the decent and interesting first three episodes.
CaviarMethsApr 30, 2014 3:43 AM
----------
Let me tell you an incomprehensible story!
Apr 30, 2014 4:03 AM

Jul 2013
CaviarMeths said:
How the hell did this devolve into generic shounen shit in a single episode?

-Naming and shouting out all of his attacks.
-Random power ups that he had all along, but for some reason decided to only use at dramatic moments.
-Bad guy so surprised that MC countered ONE of his attacks, so has no choice but to resign and accept his fate of being kicked in the face and killed.
-"She's not our enemy anymore. Don't worry about all the murder and whatnot. No biggie. Let's just leave her."
-You can do it because you fight for your friends! /wrist
-Plot-convenient bullshit galore.

And LOL at like 3 plot threads all being wrapped up in about 5 minutes.

Not exactly a drop-worthy episode, but a huge step down from the decent and interesting first three episodes.

just read the manga then. or the LN. it was way better there

comparison between anime and manga, same scene:
http://funnymama.com/post/287490
UrekApr 30, 2014 4:32 AM
current LN reading:
translated here
Apr 30, 2014 4:26 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Got some tears off of me
don't say sad things when you are about to die ._.
Class 5 Gaestra are probably overdeveloped or evolved cursed children and that is why a tricycle is the catalyst :/ ?
idk
Those results though
I feel like I may cry a lot in this series...
Apr 30, 2014 4:35 AM

Nov 2013
This episode sucked, after being badass after killing masked guy and tearing his own hand, he suddenly chickened to press a button. Did creators remembered that that he shouldn't be so OP, or they just wanted loli to hug him that much? What was that about not killing masked guy's loli? "She is not our enemy anymore" my ass, she will definetly go for revenge in the nearest future.
Apr 30, 2014 4:44 AM

Apr 2013
Why didn't he use this power in the first encounter against Kagetane ?
Apr 30, 2014 4:48 AM

Oct 2013
so enju is pretty close to turning gastrea?
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 30, 2014 5:24 AM
Mar 2014
Loved it~
Apr 30, 2014 5:30 AM

Aug 2012
Well, that's awful.
A lot of weird things happened this episode.
1st.. villain guy got "killed" after getting kicked in the face, whilst in episode 1, still breathing after a 180 neck twist.

2nd.. a tracker attached to villain guy? Ehh... how?

3rd.. summoning a level 5 Gastrea to halt some stupid law to which cursed children will benefit at the cost of risking a whole fucking city? Yeah, you really hate those Gastreas who killed a bunch of humans don't you? Oh well. Logic. Yay~

4th.. One Punch Man was impressed.

I didn't read the LN, but this seems like it's rush. Gonna read them then.. to save me from this frustration.
Apr 30, 2014 6:01 AM

Jan 2014
I can't keep up with the pacing. They cut out Shogen's true reason of why he calls Kayo a tool so now Rentarou looks like a fucking hero. The fight scenes were basically summarized with:
-w0we me has varanmium arm. i beat u
-o no u blow hole in my bodiez
-i stab meself wit drug
-i heal
-i control the gastrea inside me
-o i punch u more
-u die

I think the potential of this anime is HUGE, but due to the limited budget, currently all of the characters look really just plain and conventional. It's not worth dropping since I need more Enju (>o3o)>
PITCH A TENT! PITCH A TENT! PITCH A TENT!

"When it comes to people you really love..., you don't care about yourself!" - Yamato Kurosawa

"Someday, maybe you’ll find someone like you to share your pain with. I can’t tell you when that will happen.... But the important thing is to not reject them". - Mei Tachibana

"When you trust someone and get to know them, you eventually learn about their wounds, too. - Mei Tachibana
Apr 30, 2014 6:06 AM

Jan 2014
Always-Hungry said:
Why didn't he use this power in the first encounter against Kagetane ?

Because he hated his power.
PITCH A TENT! PITCH A TENT! PITCH A TENT!

"When it comes to people you really love..., you don't care about yourself!" - Yamato Kurosawa

"Someday, maybe you’ll find someone like you to share your pain with. I can’t tell you when that will happen.... But the important thing is to not reject them". - Mei Tachibana

"When you trust someone and get to know them, you eventually learn about their wounds, too. - Mei Tachibana
Apr 30, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2012
I do feel like some things were rushed a little. I am familiar with the Black Bullet Manga and they did take a little more time with parts like Shogen's death scene and the fight between Kagetane and Rentarou were much longer. Now, do I think that's all a bad thing? Not really. There was this part in the manga where Rentarou is almost dead during the latest fight with Kagetane and he is in this dream sequence where he imagines the world without him. I am actually kind of glad they didn't put that in here. Also, in the manga there are 3 times we see him on the brink of death:

Once as a kid

Right After he gets slammed against a rock, crushed, stabbed repeatedly and then shot twice in first fight with Kagetane.

And then in the final fight with Kagetane and Kohina.

I felt like it was a little excessive the manga.

In the anime I felt like it kind of jumped around a little.

In the end I still enjoyed this episode. I like the characters and the action keeps me coming back. By the way.

FALCON PUUUUUNCH.
Apr 30, 2014 6:13 AM

Feb 2012
Dayum, why'd they have to kill of Kayo?! She was awesome!!

I guess Enjo will turn soon.

I don't know if it's just me, but the pacing seems to be very fast.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 30, 2014 6:22 AM

Apr 2014
i'm really glad i started this show, it's soooooooo good and the artwork is also very nice.
Apr 30, 2014 6:24 AM
Sep 2012
Enju keeps me watching this awful LN adaptation.

Oh wait...
Apr 30, 2014 6:26 AM

Apr 2013
too many things happening i don't know what to feel anymore
Apr 30, 2014 6:31 AM
Oct 2013
Very so-so. I'm not sure if it's because they're rushing.
Apr 30, 2014 7:08 AM

May 2013
Freeeeaaaking baddass tough the battle ended quickly. Oh well...

Noooww how will the two deal with the Gastrea chance? Now, if you may excuse me while I'm having my sentiments *sniffs*
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 30, 2014 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
I don't know the source material, and this episode generally was OK. But, like others have said, it's dangerously rushed. Seriously, I thought this was the last episode for a moment there ._.
Apr 30, 2014 7:52 AM

Oct 2012
Fuck man, I kinda saw it coming after the other girl got infected but didn't wanted it to be true...
Apr 30, 2014 7:57 AM
Nov 2013
The amount of stereotypes about anime writing style is far too present in this episode, and this anime in particular, but the action's still pretty decent
Apr 30, 2014 8:20 AM

Aug 2008
It was one hell of a mess. It felt like the last episode with many subplots thrown in together for hasty conclusion. Except that we're missing couple of episodes with introduction and development of said subplots... I guess there's not much to expect from this show anymore with 4th episode already being like this. Maybe it will be still a decent time killer with explosions and stuff.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 30, 2014 8:36 AM

Sep 2008
That was waaay too rushed. This anime could have been good if they didn't ruin it like this.
Apr 30, 2014 8:40 AM

May 2010
Why didn't one of his eye turn into something made of varanium, wasn't it augmented too?

Such a shounen battle, but the blood was interesting to see. Seriously, did he really lose after just 4 episodes? And here he thought, he would be unbeatable, considering how mighty he acted in the first 3 episodes... Such a letdown.

He sacrificed his arm, that takes guts I guess. I kinda liked the bro hug from Enju, even if it became just POF later.

The death scene was really sad, reminded me of the moment when Sachi died in SAO... :/

Super rushed near the end but still good episode (or should I say source?). Wait- they didn't rise in ranks? They should be in top 10 already, they saved the world, you know! Kinda liked the ED song, but the real ED is just perfection.
Apr 30, 2014 8:41 AM
Jun 2013
The ending actually made me cry :(
Apr 30, 2014 8:53 AM

Feb 2011
I find it incredibly hard to take this show seriously. I mean, it's pretty cool and the action is nicely animated (that's all I really care about to be frank), but whenever I see these little girls fight so epicly it just makes me want to laugh.
Apr 30, 2014 8:59 AM

Apr 2011
main character has to much plot armor, bad guy loses to a punch to his face ? wtf­.

Also, mechanical arm and leg. WHERE HAVE I SEEN THAT BEFORE hehehe
Apr 30, 2014 9:18 AM

Sep 2010
The episode was nice for me since I didn't actually read the LN or Manga, But it feels like they skipped a lot of things and just feels rushed, So can anyone explain to me what scenes did they missed?
Apr 30, 2014 9:48 AM

Jun 2011
Damn producers rushing the the episode.

Still im very curious about the Gastrea and how they came about. Pretty sure though that they were human child turned monster but im not sure as thats just speculations.

Did the LN already reveal the secret?
Apr 30, 2014 10:55 AM
Sep 2013
I really hoped the fight was much longer than it ectually was. it was very disappointing but the rest was very good ^^
Apr 30, 2014 10:56 AM

Jan 2013
Welp,... it would have been good as a movie (pacing wise)

This show's gotten so bad that I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Laughed my way through this episode and predicted most of the cheesy twists

Apr 30, 2014 10:57 AM

Aug 2011
I... have mixed feelings about this..... meh.
Too many things happened in like one episode.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

191 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 16, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

434 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 14, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Best Girl? ( 1 2 3 )

Blind_Guardian - May 17, 2014

105 by proxima16 »»
Dec 22, 2023 6:47 AM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

520 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:40 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Jun 24, 2014

238 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.