Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2023 5:35 PM

Feb 2009
I wait so much to seeing this manga adapted to anime and it was a blast! Now I wanna reread the manga once again
Jan 4, 2023 5:40 PM

Feb 2017
yay its finally here!! love tomboy characters which is why i read this in the first place <333333333

placeholder text
Jan 4, 2023 5:46 PM
Dec 2022
The first episode was entertaning and funny even tho some moments where uncomfortable.
Jan 4, 2023 5:51 PM

May 2021
Really love how they handle the comedy and characters relationship here. Laughing all the time till the end of episode. Looking forward to next episode where I'm gonna see more of their hillarious high school life
Hello everyone, i like Slice of Life and CGDCT (Cute Girls Doing Cute Thing) anime.
I'm also like to make a lot of friends online, so feel free to add me as a friend or invite me to a club :)

Jan 4, 2023 6:04 PM
Apr 2022
seems a cool anime, cant wait for next eps
Jan 4, 2023 6:27 PM

Jan 2022
I like the concept a lot, a bunch of funny jokes here and there. Now it's only about seeing if it's get uninteresting by the end. Misuzu is a great character tho
I like everything, ok
Jan 4, 2023 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
Lol so she inherited the fang from her mother

First episode was alright, it's a fun show but the animation looked kind of bad a few times
Jan 4, 2023 7:33 PM

May 2022
Tomo-chan Is A Girl! was originally published as a 4 panel comic where 4 panels were on each page and each page was called a "chapter". This format led to quick gags and one-liners, and the plot was understandably choppy and lacked a normal narrative structure.

The anime has that same choppy narrative composed of a series of short comic scenes that together begin to form a high school rom-com arc.

The animation was excellent. (I am bothered by the snaggle toothed fangs of Tomo-chan and her mother. I don't remember that in the manga.) But the voice acting was stellar and really bodes well for this series.

Let's hear it for Taichi You who plays Mifune, and Tanezaki Atsumi who plays Ogawa! Like the stock clown characters in Shakespeare's plays, these two walked on stage and stole the show in episode 1. They raised up the entire production and took the comedy to another level. I hope we see more of them!
Jan 4, 2023 7:42 PM
Oct 2019
lots of funny scenes 😄
Jan 4, 2023 8:00 PM

Aug 2019
I love this so much already! This might actually be my favorite of the season so far :D

Definitely looking forward to more!
Jan 4, 2023 8:07 PM
Jan 2022
Slight romantic killer vibes, which is a good thing
Jan 4, 2023 8:12 PM
Nirai Kanai

Dec 2012
I came into this completely blind so she's ACTUALLY a girl and this isn't akin to Ranma 1/2? Nice. It was an enjoyable episode and I really liked Tomo and Gundou. I also enjoy that Gundou and Jun hate each other at the moment even though they have a bit of childhood history. What's "weird" to me is that Jun is treating Tomo like a "guy" but... do Japanese teen boys slap each other on the behind? I mean, maybe and I just never knew but that just seemed odd. It's like he's going out of his way to wrap his arm around her and such (which guys do) but.... yeah, I feel like Jun is bluffing lol

Anywho, I'll return for episode 2.

The World Suffused with Sound.
Jan 4, 2023 8:23 PM
Mar 2021
pacing is a bit fast but thats mostly due to the nature of this being the first ep and the manga is like 10 pgs per chp so thats to be expected all around pretty good
Jan 4, 2023 8:30 PM

Jul 2021
Misuzu reminds me almost exactly of Hanajima from Fruba
Jan 4, 2023 9:03 PM

Oct 2021
Damn that was cute, I guess tomboy really is the best archetype.
Jan 4, 2023 9:25 PM
Oct 2019
kinda weird. that opening scene love confession, and then him telling her it was an odd choice to wear a skirt to school made me think he really did think she was a girl. but then later in the episode he's having conversations about her where she's being called a girl, and he clearly gets flustered when that dark haired girl teases him about tomo, and he freaked out when he saw her in a wet t shirt...so he obviously knows she's a girl. but that ruins the entire premise i was led to believe

i like the side characters more than the main two so far

it was ok. 6/10 first episode
Jan 4, 2023 9:47 PM

Aug 2012
LostSpectre said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Exactly. Men do not like Androgynous women. This goes beyong being tomboish is a hormonal problem
Anime characters with this art style practically all have the same god damn face, sit the fuck down. 

Is not about the face. Forgetting they are way too develloped for the grade their supposed to be in the problems are as follows:
1. low pitch voice. Is lower than most adult men. Unless you are a heavy smoker or have hormonal issues as a woman you should not get that voice.
2. male body frame. The female skeletons are different than male especially in asian countries were often even males have a feminine body frame. is the she ra issue again. is like they put boobs on a man.
3. the hair due she has is not tomboish.is characteristic to 3 categories os people: young male thugs, women over 60 that no longer care if they are attractive, man hating feminists.
4. She is extremely violent. The trope with girl hits guy because she is embarassed does not really work at that level.

There are other issues as well with the anime related to karate and female body strength but not gonna get into those here.

Note: I read a bit in the manga out of curiosity and the problems do not see in the manga as well. It seems they made everything more extreme in the anime thus unrealistic : their size (especially Tomoe which in the manga is visibly less tall) , her frame (in the manga is female but a bit too muscular still realistic), her voice (implied to be a bit raspy when angry but not that low pitched) , her violence (in the manga she only hits him when he actually does something extremely embarassing not every 2 minutes), her hair (while still similar is not that extreme) - as a note in the manga she tries changing her hair due but when she is asked to pick a hair style she gives up thanks tp her female "friend" (note than women have no female friends just frienemies) showing she is lazy and does not like to follow through. Also I I remember correctly he runs after seeing her panties not her boobs.
nightcrawlercypJan 4, 2023 10:23 PM
Jan 4, 2023 9:54 PM

Aug 2016
First time I see a tomboy anime like this, the seiyu (Rie Takahash) is very funny, it reminded me of Romantic killer that also stars a woman very similar to Tomo, as if they were twin sisters xD
The worrying thing is that I felt rushed in certain parts to change one scene to another, I've never seen the manga but it's my feeling that there wasn't much development.
Jan 4, 2023 9:57 PM
Nov 2018
loved it. Does anyone know anime similar to this tomboy romcom anime
Jan 4, 2023 9:59 PM

May 2014
Yeah... I knew this was gonna happen... Manga format didn't traslate very well into the anime, since every chapter was one page with one gag and it worked for that. In the anime it looked fast-paced and rushed, with so many things happening and characters introduced in just the first half. Luckily the further we'll get into the story the narrative gets better structured, so several gags can fit into one single setting and it won't feel so rushed, let's see if direction can handle it. 

Looking forward to see Carol appearance the next week too.
Jan 4, 2023 10:01 PM

May 2019
Damn Tomo can be brutal with those hits. First episode was ok and I already noticed that even though Jun mostly sees Tomo as a bro he knows she's a girl and even ran off when her shirt was see-through when it got wet from the rain so I think he's already at least starting to see her more than a bro.

I'm thinking Misuzu will bring them closer throughout the series while messing with them and, based on other people's comments, a character named Carol will be introduced soon.
Jan 4, 2023 10:09 PM

Jul 2012
So Rie Takahashi has been typecast as the same voice for years and now she gets to branch out and it's amazing. It's kinda obnoxious how many good VAs are picked to do the same schtick over and over when they could be doing a lot more. 
Jan 4, 2023 10:18 PM

Sep 2018
OK, that was awesome. Potential AOTS, loved the premise. 
Jan 4, 2023 10:27 PM

Aug 2012
@viperhc Mizuzu at least in the anime is evil. She does not really care about them. Even in the manga the little I read I hate her. I mean she tells Tomo to choose a hair style but that she will hate her if she chooses hers (which btw is the same as 60% of other girls in class) which makes Tomo give up. She toys with them, at times doing stuff to bring them closer and in the same adding obstacles not to get too close ever. She is a sadistic biatch
Jan 4, 2023 10:39 PM
Aug 2021
I may get a lot of shit for this, but I can't say I enjoyed the first episode. Even though the adaptation is pretty much 1:1 from the manga, the 4-koma punchline delivered in the last panel isn't as comedic. I still think it's gonna be an entertaining watch, but not as funny as the manga.

Also, while I love Rie Takahashi, I don't think she was the right fit for Tomo's VA. When I read Tomo-chan years ago, I always imagined her with a more tomboyish voice, whereas this sounds more like someone with quite a feminine voice trying too hard to sound masculine.
Jan 4, 2023 11:00 PM

Feb 2019
Gundo's a bit sadistic, but I think she is only after what makes her two friends happy. And Jun's not at all that clueless, he just doesn't know how to treat her differently - I think. Anyway, a potential boyfriend-material better show up & knock some sense into him so he'll start treating Tomo like a real girly-girl and not just his tomboy-ish BFF from childhood lol
Jan 4, 2023 11:11 PM
Dec 2022
Maybe a bit of a high rating, but I enjoyed the setup and the characters are interesting enough that I'm probably going to keep watching.
Jan 4, 2023 11:11 PM

Aug 2012
The problem I think is not that he treats her like a guy but like a little sister. Based on personal experience if you hang out with a girl a lot before you end puberty you may consider her as a sister and not think of her as potential dating material. The childhood friend trope does not always work especially with more tomboish girls. Sometimes you see them as sisters and unlike what hentai try to convince you (about 30% these days for some reason are siscon) we do not see our sisters this way.
Jan 4, 2023 11:30 PM

Jan 2018
This seems like a very fun show. I could get into this. RieRi voicing a tomboy sounds fantastic!
Jan 5, 2023 12:19 AM

Jan 2021
What a fun start! I don't know how many times Tomo hit Junichirou but it was funny. Misuzu's aura reminds me of Hana-chan, hahah. I like her.

Jan 5, 2023 1:09 AM

May 2019
It's finally here, an adaptation we've all been waiting for, and it hits it right on the nail. Fantastic first episode that I believed landed it's jokes quite well. And the umbrella scene animated, truly a beautiful sight to see. Overall great stuff, proud that it's this good of an adaptation.
Jan 5, 2023 1:13 AM

Apr 2015
I loved already. Love theses silly School RomCom like Gekkan Shoujo, Romantic Killer and Horimiya etc. So this is a must watch!

The characters are all enjoyable for now and Tomo-chan is so funny.
Jan 5, 2023 1:24 AM
Jun 2022
This is what i looking for, slice of life, comedy, romance anime without drama, slightly better than uzaki IMO.
Jan 5, 2023 1:49 AM

Oct 2016
It's finally here!
I'm so excited about this anime, and this episode was a good start.
I hope the anime remains good all the way to the end. That's all I ask.
Jan 5, 2023 2:22 AM
Oct 2022
I actually read it the Manga before the Anime came out and even and nounsd so for me this is the dream come true I always thought this is kind of romecom why doesn't it get any adaptation but now it's getting enough whole new fanism I just like about that the show is very good animation is known the characters is cool stories but I need something more and maybe when the show progresses I will feel very sorry that I really want this show in this season
Jan 5, 2023 2:23 AM
May 2020
tomo just wants to be treated like a girl
Jan 5, 2023 3:07 AM
Oct 2019
This episode was great! I'm glad my friend got me into this anime, as I felt I had seen the manga before, but I wasn't really sure. Regardless, this episode had all my attention focused onto it.

I find it funny how Tomo wants to be seen as more than just " One of the Guys", but Junichiro her bestfriend/love interest is as dense as a black hole!

Especially when Misuzu is trying to help both Tomo and Junichiro out, things only seem to go nowhere. As Tomo is too shy to tell Junichiro about how she really feels and Junichiro is well.... Junichiro.

Tatsumi I feel is going to help push these two blinded lovers into a faithful path they both want to walk towards, but with Misuzu seeing Tatsumi as just a nuisance his plans might seem difficult to execute.

As where Misaki has lots of Women who are into him, he doesn't even notice them and is madly in love with Tomo and her karate skill!

I am so hyped for the next episode, as I need more angry Tomo and more brainless Junichirou!!
Jan 5, 2023 3:32 AM

Oct 2016
That was great and hilarious lmao, Rieri is so good.

Fs in chat for Tomo though, Jun's perception of her be so far from a girl that he slapping her ass like a bro. Good to know that Jun slaps his bros asses though. 

The most hilarious part of the episode was definitely those girls picking a fight with Tomo, she was squaring up lmao. But at the end of the day, Tomo got that rizz frfr.

Misuzu's great as well, gotta love that chaotically evil energy she gives off.
Jan 5, 2023 3:33 AM
Jun 2012
Is this one of those stories where the guy is actually in love with her the entire time? I don't think I can sit through 12 episodes of that.
Jan 5, 2023 3:52 AM

Dec 2021
Personally idk if Jun is oblivious or blind but Tomo's so strong it's actually kind of cool! The show's really entertaining I normally hate any romance related anime's but this one seems like it'll be really fun to watch.
Jan 5, 2023 4:13 AM

Jun 2019
I started off thinking we were getting the most dense protag ever in Jun, but looks like he does know Tomo is actually a girl as he tells Misuzu that he didn't join a club because there were no co-ed clubs and he'd want to join with Tomo. Plus he got super annoyed when she mentioned the hypothetical situation of Tomo getting a boyfriend, and he noticed her breasts when her shirt was wet, so yeah he knows but is acting like he doesn't. So there's something more going on with Jun. He knows she's a girl and even pretended not to notice her confession, or misunderstood, and continues to act like she's a girl. Not what I thought it was going to be.
Jan 5, 2023 4:34 AM

Mar 2008
Pretty funny. Tomo-Chan is cute even though she’s so brutish a tomboy.  I can already tell Jun knows she’s a girl and actually likes her but just can’t face his feelings so he deals with it by just forgetting and acting like she’s one of the guys.  I wonder if those two girls are going to develop a crush on her.  
Jan 5, 2023 4:40 AM

Feb 2014
Rieri voicing a tomboyish character this time, I love that she's diversifying her roles lately.

First episode was fun as I expected, I really enjoyed it. It's like Takagi-san but much better and more mature I guess.
TheHubrisofMan said:
I'm soooo happy this anime isn't airing on Netflix ("Netflix Hell")!
The anime is co-produced by CR, there's no way it will be on Netflix in the west.
Jan 5, 2023 4:53 AM

Aug 2019
quite the funny first episode, I really am enjoying the voice acting in this show
Jan 5, 2023 5:07 AM

Mar 2019
good start this gonna be good 
Jan 5, 2023 5:11 AM

Sep 2011
I really wanted to like this but there's just something off about it.  The comedy's just way too "loud" for lack of a better term
Jan 5, 2023 5:12 AM
Mar 2019
tomochan is cute, thanks
Jan 5, 2023 5:20 AM

Dec 2015
I liked the manga (haven't finished it), but at the time I thought it would be cool if it got an anime adaptation.  I didn't even know the manga got an anime until 30 minutes ago.  It wasn't the best first episode I watched, but it did almost everything it needed to show for a first episode.  I liked the dynamic all the characters had like Tomo and Jun (given) and Tatsumi and Misuzu.  I did like the confused faces of Chiyomi and Naoko at the end of the episode.  When Misuzu told Tomo about "The Natural Lady-Killer" thing, I found it funny but believable that Tomo would have a problem with the killer part, instead of what it actually means.
Jan 5, 2023 5:33 AM
Mar 2022
TOMBOY SUPREMACY!!!
Jan 5, 2023 6:04 AM
Nov 2021
Good start.... Gonna keep watching this for sure

The scene where jun threw Gundou's hair tie was hilarious
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2023

129 by Magicmist »»
May 26, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

136 by Magicmist »»
May 25, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Would this show be better without Carol?

eWEQRW123123 - Apr 21

39 by Brandis_king »»
May 24, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

103 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 11:15 PM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

140 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 6:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.