Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2023 10:51 AM

Nov 2011
It's cool they can discover so much in a house just by digging around. Sometimes, you never know what to find in a house.

Seeing some of the stuff like the Nintendo 64 gave a feeling of nostalgia. 
Jun 2, 2023 11:39 AM

Apr 2016
The ever elusive grandpa continues to elude us even in this weeks episode ... even tho we almost had him, almost, but it was not meant to be ... they even had a female carpenter, lol.
Other than that, a nice historical background of the differences between the Japanese Kappa , and the western Kappa .
Jun 2, 2023 11:43 AM

Feb 2020
"I have no choice but to hole up here! Since it's raining outside!"

I'm not surprised that Elda is more than happy because of that. :P

She sure knows a lot about history. It was interesting to listen to her stories again.

An umbrella for a drone, lol. How cute! xD

It was a touching moment when Koito saw her mother on Betamax tape.

Koito's imagination at the end was priceless. Aww, they look so cute together. <3

SerafosJun 3, 2023 3:55 AM
Jun 2, 2023 12:20 PM

Mar 2021
Lovely sweet episode we almost got to see the ever elusive Grandpa but we also got a brief view of what Koito's mother was like
Jun 2, 2023 1:41 PM

Feb 2019
As usual a very sweet and comfy episode. I swear the author wanted to make an historical anime but probably thought people wouldn’t like that, so he added cute elves into the story as a conduit for that, lol. I love learning about Edo society and it’s so cute seeing how much Elda misses it

“Oh that old tattered bag, it’s time to let it go” 😂 she cooked koito
Jun 2, 2023 3:53 PM
Dec 2020
There's something magical about watching family tapes from before you were born. Watching your loved ones, the people you've known all your life, be themselves at a time you've never experienced. It's like looking at memories you don't have, but they still feel like your memories. That little moment of Koito watching her mom on Betamax was very sweet.
Jun 2, 2023 4:30 PM

Dec 2013
As soon as they decided to clean the closet I was worried someone would find something that would bring back memories and that this show would have a touching but sad moment with a character crying but instead think Koito felt more happy than sad to be able to see her mom when she was starting as an official Miko.
Jun 2, 2023 4:46 PM

May 2019
Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I think it may have hit Koito when she watched the Betamax tape that Elda will outlive her and that maybe one day Koito's daughter (if she has one) will become Elda's miko. Reminds me of the bittersweet look Elda gave to Koito a couple episodes back when they were going to view Mt. Fuji from a tall building and Mike didn't like and understand that face.

Anyways, there were a nostalgic console with the Nintendo 64 and a reference that Elda mentioned in the tape in regards to Final Fantasy 7 so that video was probably recorded around 1997.
Jun 2, 2023 7:38 PM
Jul 2021
The moments when Koito sees her 16 year old mother with the ageless Elda on the Betamax tape were so poignant and heart wrenching. Really sneaks up on the viewer after the silliness of the first half of the episode.

Great storytelling!
Jun 2, 2023 9:54 PM

Feb 2019
oh man, seeing Elda's VHS & betamax tape collections brought back memories lol it was indeed a nostalgic trip down memory lane, but a bittersweet one for Koito. good thing Elda decided to shift the mood a bit by asking her if she can carry/lift her up to celebrate finishing their cleaning task lol
Jun 2, 2023 10:21 PM
Dec 2022
can I ask if Koito mother still alive ? 

that feels moment is like Spanish inquisiton.. unexpected surprise
Koito is just stand still and freezing when she sees her mother when she was young

and based on that FFVII reference.. her mother should be aged 42 
Jun 2, 2023 11:00 PM
Feb 2022
i cant this season is my god
Jun 2, 2023 11:51 PM

Jul 2009
LeenPhoenixRae said:
oh man, seeing Elda's VHS & betamax tape collections brought back memories lol it was indeed a nostalgic trip down memory lane, but a bittersweet one for Koito. good thing Elda decided to shift the mood a bit by asking her if she can carry/lift her up to celebrate finishing their cleaning task lol
VHS was still kicking 20 years ago. i feel old watching this episode
bruh
Jun 3, 2023 12:04 AM

Feb 2019
kei78 said:
LeenPhoenixRae said:
VHS was still kicking 20 years ago. i feel old watching this episode

Not as old as Elda must feel though lol

But I also remember watching some Disney movies on betamax from years ago as well lol Now that is old indeed! lol
Good times, good times.
Jun 3, 2023 12:46 AM

Apr 2014
The moment when Koito watched her mom on the tape was very heartwarming.
btw, with Glass no Kamen, Tamiya, and B-Daman, where's they Beyblade? Come on... Elda, you should have some.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jun 3, 2023 2:30 AM

Nov 2010
Personally, floppy disk brings back more nostalgia than VHS.
📼💾
Jun 3, 2023 3:25 AM
Sep 2021
Nice Japanese history and the chill laid back feel was good and the characters were also making the episode better.
Jun 3, 2023 6:27 AM

Jul 2017
On a rainy day, Elda has even more reason to stay at home and read her comics, that's until rainwater almost destroys her collection of manga, games and figurines. Koto has no choice but to call in the carpenter to fix the roof...and make it a designer inner shrine with space big enough to store all their wanted goods. But too bad that the idea is rejected, and it's far and the way that even umbrellas back in the Edo era are that fashionable. Koyuzu ended up being drenched from head to toe, and even the kappa has its origins as well, apart from the sea creature we all know that's also part of the unchanging umbrella tradition. Having a waterproof drone also defeats the purpose if there is something needed to cover it though...

Even after the repair, Elda doesn't want to do housework, and the feet's biggest enemy: a LEGO block lols. The cleanup of the closet brings up a lot of the old things that Elda used to collect and play with, though it took them forever to organize and clean up her place. Like in Edo, there is a day to commemorate "cleaning the soot" as is on Earth with clean-up day, and Elda doesn't change on her habits as always. Some things like VHS and Betamax tapes are new to the young generation, but to see it would require a player just like it, and Koito gets a lesson on old video recording to see the history of Takamimim Shrine at Granny's Shimaden store, when Elda hasn't really changed a lot...with her otaku fanatic personality as well, as well as Koito's mother Sayako. It's a piece of memorabilia that Elda should keep in remembrance...and not get Koito literally thrown in the air lols. A "hooray!" kind of feat, but a lift would be fine anyway, bridal princess style.

Interesting episode of history!
Jun 3, 2023 8:04 AM

Feb 2014
Impressive how any of the tapes had mould on them.

Reminded me of "Iya na Kao sare nagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai" ironically there is also a miko there
Jun 3, 2023 8:08 AM

Mar 2008
The umbrella and coat talk was actually interesting

As soon as Koito screamed out stepping on something I thought "It's a LEGO isnt it?" Lol

I get the impression Koito's mom is dead from how she reacted to the tape. So it was like a bittersweet thing for her. Since she wanted Elda to keep it that could be taken a few ways. On one hand it may be too sad for Koito but on the other hand it may be she feels the tape is safer with Elda because her immortality and aware of her own mortality but also may be she finally had it hit her deeper how Elda has had to see so many people die over the centuries.
Jun 3, 2023 9:09 AM
Apr 2023
The episode featured the different customs and traditions during rainy days and during house-cleaning occasions.

Koito also happened to get to see how her mother looked like when she was the same age as her (or at the time her mother was finally inaugurated as Elda's miko. It was kind of heart-tugging and most likely it made Koito feel a certain saddening nostalgia. Such feeling is probably what Elda has to face each and every moment of her life, specially as she keeps archives like this and each and every bit of her collections is a remembrance from the time she outlived. This probably also something Koito realized, like seeing what Elda sees in her own perspective.

But yeah, those betamax tapes were really something. They were like Sony's bid for the next magnetic format tape, like what they did with the Bluray. But they did not win this bid because the VHS can record longer, like let's say it can record an entire football game in just one tape, while the betamax with its smaller profile falls a bit short of the task.
Jun 3, 2023 4:43 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
The FFVII bit had me laughing pretty good. *sigh* damn I'm old.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Jun 3, 2023 5:59 PM

Feb 2021
An okay episode, the first half wasn't as interesting, and the second half I can't really relate because I grew up with floppy disks instead. But the feeling of seeing your parents before you were born is indeed a bit strange. My parents took a lot of videos together before they were married and they looked so young. I'm sure almost everyone get what I mean. 

We get to see Koito's mom in her 16, just as old as Koito is right now. Seeing that must have saddened Koito a lot. Both of my parents are still alive and well, but I can't ever imagine what it will feel like when I lose either or both which is inevitable. And that is the first time we've seen Elda look genuinely worried and sad. Her voice when she says she wants to give the tape to Koito sounds soft and caring.

I did some math, right. Koito is currently 16 and the tape was recorded 20 years ago. At the time, Sayoko was 16. So she awas about 26 when she gave birth to Koito. She died when Koito was 6 years old, meaning she died at the age of 32. However, Koyuzu is sitting in grade school, and she's on the younger side I assume. If she's about 10 years old now, that means Sayoko died immediately after she gave birth to Koyuzu, or soon after, because Koito was only 6 years old when Sayoko passed away. There's a high chance Koyuzu never "met" her mom. And Elda was there to witness everything happening in real time. Damn.

Edit: also Elda is totally trying to give Koito a hug. Though it went above her head. Elda is so understanding. 
Yuu_KanzakiJun 3, 2023 6:04 PM
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 3, 2023 6:39 PM

Sep 2021
The part about the video with Koito's mom was pretty sad for this show. But it was sweet how Elda cheered Koito up!

Another sweet episode!
Jun 4, 2023 7:17 AM

Nov 2014
This episode made me feel old lol.
I wonder it they are going to build up on the passing thing. Just like Koito's mother in that video now she is next to Elda and "soon" will be gone too. I like how subtle (barely existent) this topic is so far - adds some nice depth without turning into drama.
Jun 4, 2023 7:59 AM

Nov 2013
It's even sad when considering Koito's mom died pretty young.
Jun 5, 2023 4:25 AM
Sep 2018
Yet another fun, heartwarming, and downright wholesome episode this week. Though I will admit that the scene of Koito watching the tape featuring her mom gave a great sense of foreboding that I did not expect.

Given that we're at the last stretch of the series, and given how the idea has been popping up a lot more in recent episodes, I won't be surprised if some greater focus will be given to the whole 'Koito is mortal and Elda is immortal' thing in the later episodes (Just please keep giving me more wholesome Elda and Koito antics!).

Edit: Forgot to mention how I was excited that we might be getting our first glimpse at the grandpa only to see that it was too good to be true (it was pretty funny though). Also, are the names of Elda's other tapes references to Japanese TV programs in the past? Thought it might be interesting to look into since she did make a reference to the Drifters.
Onion_StoryJun 5, 2023 4:29 AM
Jun 5, 2023 7:23 AM

Oct 2017
Video tapes are amazing aren't they? You get to see stuff from anytime and anywhere. This episode made me feel quite nostalgic with all the refferences.
Jun 5, 2023 12:55 PM

Jan 2021
First time watching this, obviously I watched from ep1.

A rainy day is always chill but its not chill when your roof is leaking and all the manga and everything else can get moldy and wet. Koito found tapes from back in the day and there was one tape with no title on it and they needed a special console for it, so she asks Shimaden. Koito finds her mom on the old tape. Nicely done episode.
Jun 11, 2023 3:48 AM

Apr 2012
Serafos said:
"I have no choice but to hole up here! Since it's raining outside!"

I'm not surprised that Elda is more than happy because of that. :P

She sure knows a lot about history. It was interesting to listen to her stories again.

An umbrella for a drone, lol. How cute! xD

It was a touching moment when Koito saw her mother on Betamax tape.

Koito's imagination at the end was priceless. Aww, they look so cute together. <3

Yeah, cute, but given their difference in age and dynamics, I'm not sure if they're supposed to look cute exactly "in that way", if you know what I mean lol.
Jun 22, 2023 4:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was touching when Koito saw her mom in the old tape :(
Jul 1, 2023 3:45 AM

Sep 2016
Koito watching the tape actually made me emotional wth...
Jul 8, 2023 4:10 PM
May 2020
I adore the beautiful relationship between Koito and Elda. I want to know more about Koito's mother, whenever it seems that they are going to explain something or they are going to take the scene more to the sentimental, they return to comedy
Aug 30, 2023 8:22 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Naaah man, Koito not knowing about VHS hurt me lol, I’m just in my 20s and I own VHS tapes, watched them a bunch as a kid too, that’s just not right lol. It was really nice when she watched the tape tho, getting to see not just Elda from 20 years ago raving about Final Fantasy 7, but also Koito’s mom at the same age as her, wish we coulda saw more but I guess it wouldn’t really matter for us, the meaning is still the same.

It was also funny how Elda kept finding old things she wanted to play with again lol, I know the feeling, especially with those classic consoles, I’ve been playing PS3 myself lately which I know isn’t as classic as the ones shown this episode but really it is a classic now, time is a bitch lol.
Sep 9, 2023 1:45 AM

Oct 2022
Good on Koito for not falling for Elda's "trap". Elda may not have realised it herself, but there ain't no way she'd be able to lift, throw, or catch Koito, so it'd be either super awkward, or someone would get hurt. Most likely Elda('s feelings).
Feb 10, 11:28 AM

Jul 2016
Elda being tricked by that FFVII rumor killed me xD

More topics from this board

Poll: » Edomae Elf Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2023

54 by el_pinko_grande »»
May 26, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Edomae Elf Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2023

38 by tunagate »»
Apr 25, 10:39 AM

Poll: » Edomae Elf Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 5, 2023

28 by Sigford »»
Nov 28, 2023 7:14 AM

Poll: » Edomae Elf Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2023

87 by MISSed_Bandwagon »»
Oct 21, 2023 12:42 PM

Poll: » Edomae Elf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2023

30 by fathandz »»
Sep 24, 2023 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.