Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 25, 2015 8:56 PM

Sep 2014
SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME! Ep 8.

Pros:
Character-We now introduce the best character in the show. Smooth man of Mystery, Kaji! No its actually Asuka. For those who were getting bored of Shinji, Asuka was a breath of fresh air with her headstrong nature and the comedy she brings when she clashes with Shinji. Kaji's a bit fun due to his relationship with Misato and his work at the end of the ep. Kensuke and Toji are here for bit points.

Plot-Getting Asuka and the new Eva was rough due to clashing personalities and a surprise Angel. Though the clashing personas was the best and biggest point of the show. However the reveal of Adam gives major points to the overarching theme/plot as well as Gendo putting him in a big role for the end.

5/5. If I haven't made it clear, I adore Asuka's character, her b-ness and all.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 29, 2015 2:30 AM

Jan 2013
Sudden attack on the Battleships that were carrying Eva Unit 02 with Asuka.
Seems the attack had to with the "first human being" called Adam in it's embryo state - that was carried by Kaji under order of Gendo.

Some funny scenes in this episode.

Lots of new developments.
Jul 10, 2015 3:09 AM

Jan 2014
Adam. Nice.
Angels attacking Adam.
Asuka seems OK. An underwater fight!! YES :D
Less German, please.
And lol a real female dog.
Aug 7, 2015 11:24 PM

Aug 2015
Well Asuka certainly makes up for Rei's lack of personality lol. Seems pretty fun, but it's hard for me to say if I like her yet or not. Kind of funny that Shinji had to wear one of her suits, and his friends saw him in it hehe.

Adam, huh? That should be interesting! ★4/5
Oct 10, 2015 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
Asuka <3 <3 <3
Oct 13, 2015 10:49 PM

Apr 2014
So this is the famous tsundere Asuka. Damn she's brash and aggressive. I'm interested in seeing how Shinji will deal with a person like her, but I'm certain it will assist his psychological development even further as he's beginning to become more "normal" now. I'm also hoping to learn more about Asuka's background story as well. Is she like this because of a traumatic past (essentially going in the opposite direction of whatever caused Rei to become the way she is), or has she always been like this? I'm still firmly in the Rei camp though as Asuka comes off a bit more annoying than I'd prefer.

What exactly is Adam and what is it's significance in regards to Gendo's schemes? Why are the Angels after it? NERV transported it along with the Eva because they anticipated that an Angel would pursue it. It appears that the introductory phase of the show will be reaching its conclusion pretty soon to make way for the "real" story.
ZeroDragonOct 13, 2015 11:02 PM
Oct 27, 2015 12:38 PM

Jan 2015
i was about to die from laughing at this episode from Eva xD. a lot of funny scenes.
i like Asuka so far, she looks so fun and interesting .. i'm lookin forward to see what will she adds to the story, and her role in it. and the animation in this ep is really good.
J0sephOct 27, 2015 12:47 PM
Nov 21, 2015 8:21 AM

Feb 2013
At first I wasn't so sure about Asuka, but by the end of the episode she really grew on me. I'm glad the *team* is starting to grow, it'll be interesting to see her interactions with Shinji and Rei in the coming eps. Especially Rei...

Also it seems the fathers evil schemes continue, apparently that thing in the crate is the first human, Adam. And it's apparently also still alive @_@? I honestly have no idea what he plans to do with it, but I'm pretty sure its nothing good...
Dec 3, 2015 4:13 PM

Nov 2012
Asuka is quite likable.

The way they took down this Angel was epic.

Adam's embryo spotted.
Dec 23, 2015 9:20 PM

Oct 2015
So far this series has been really slow for me. After the train wreck that was Eureka 7 I really hope this is much better, but so far this show is going down the same path, shitty main character, (Shinji and Renton) annoying characters(Shinji's friends and the three children)

Adam is the Embryo? Hopefully things pick up and fast.
Dec 28, 2015 7:05 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5 Asuka is still best girl.

LMAO Toji dropped his pants.

Funny every time.

I know why Asuka took Shinji with her. Not going to spoil it. You should be able to figure it out by the time it's over.
May 14, 2016 1:32 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
So one of the most famous tsunderes appears. It certainly felt refreshing for the show, it was stagnating a bit. I hope for some fun interactions between the 3 pilots.
Jul 1, 2016 5:58 PM

Feb 2016
Thumps up for Asuka! A really funny episode this time. I really enjoyed it.
Jul 10, 2016 7:26 AM

Apr 2014
Tennouji said:
Showing your dick in front of a woman. He sure had the balls!

lol thats what i thought, he either has guts or balls.
Is no one going to mention Shinji wearing the female style entry plug suit???
---------My Profile------------
Aug 5, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2016
Asuna was a rather refreshing appearance, but i found her annoying while they were fighting that fish.

They have the embryo of the supposed first human Adam, i wonder what they are going to do with it.

4/5
Aug 27, 2016 9:36 PM
Jul 2016
Damn Asuka she is a Evil Ginger
Sep 22, 2016 2:25 PM

Feb 2015
Ah, the famous tsundere, I'm sure I'll find her as annoying as whatshisname.. the third chi-ld.

I hope she prov-- nah, I doubt she'll prove me wrong, after all she's a tsundere, I always find them annoying.

Actually, I really hope she proves me wrong because I'm tired of tsunderes.
Oct 18, 2016 7:06 AM

May 2015
ayyy asuka i luv u xD

as for kaji theres nothing really there that would make me like him. meh character for now.

i actually really liked the synchronization fight scene with just the music over it.
Oct 29, 2016 4:51 PM

Aug 2014
Just when you thought that the ED song couldn't get anymore groovier...what a lovely remix.

Ah Asuka, she's practically the reason why I avoided watching this series for years because I had a feeling that she was going to piss me off. For now her character is tolerable. (I expect that to change very quickly though)
I also don't like Kaji. The guy has snake written all over him.

Toji was the MVP in this episode for dropping his pants xD
KashKetchumOct 29, 2016 5:08 PM
Nov 14, 2016 4:31 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty good episode. Not sure what to think about Asuka. At the moment I prefer Rei. 4/5
Jan 2, 2017 1:04 PM

Feb 2013
Asuka finally shows up! First impressions are I don't like her at all! But by the end of the episode I kinda like her. Maybe she'll grow on me. But God please don't speak in German. And I thought Engrish was bad...

So that guy and Misato have a bit of history it seems. The guy seems like a cool dude(kinda) and Asuka definitely has a thing for him. Misato looks like she wants to forget about him.

I found it really funny that Shinji had to put on that red plug suit.

So that guy delivered the first human? What? From where? How? ADAM? So many questions! Why do they need it and what exactly is that plan?

So Unit 00 and Unit 01 are prototypes and Unit 02 is the final(complete?) model. During the battle I was wondering why Asuka wasn't feeling any pain like Shinji does when he pilots Unit 01. Unit 02 was definitely stabbed through with teeth. There were bite marks on the mech. I wonder why she didn't feel anything? Is that the difference between the models? Or did the creators just forget that idea for this sequence. Hmm.
Nano1124Jan 2, 2017 1:47 PM
Jan 2, 2017 10:20 PM

Dec 2015
@Nano1124 The piloting of Eva-02 definitely works through nervous synchronization too. This model has no anti-pain protection.

There will be other instances where you'll wonder how can the pilot not scream out of pain. Show over logic I guess, unless it's the usual situation where a hero's will is stronger than the pain.

edit @Dawnflame Asuka Soryû Langley's mother was a japanese scientist.

@Inugirlz Actually, they often like only her "(social) mask" and not the person behind they see later (though you can more or less guess it before).

@ShadowZ_AnimeZ "outro" = "ending"? If yes, I don't understand: the 50s song is used for every episode till the end.
Rei_IIIFeb 17, 2018 8:48 AM
Jan 8, 2017 6:23 AM
Jun 2016
Asuka looks like she'll be funny and a great addition to the team
Jan 11, 2017 7:51 PM

Sep 2015
The fanservice this episode tho. Lol was expecting her to transfer to their schools afterwards.
Jan 19, 2017 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
Asuka woooow Great character...
EG99
Jan 24, 2017 8:04 PM
Mar 2016
Hell, I don't speak German but I can hear cringy German....

But yay, best girl of the series showed up!
Apr 4, 2017 2:49 PM
Feb 2015
Ok they sink two boats to shoot inside the angel's mouth, wtf
Apr 26, 2017 12:05 AM

Jun 2016
Ha, I really like Asuka, which is a weird name for a german girl, but whatever. As somebody who's mother tongue is German, the way speaks the language made me giggle. It's not bad, just cute. I also laughed at this:
"Think in German" "Strudel, Bratwurst..."

Aug 5, 2017 3:36 PM

Apr 2014
Damn, that navy was wrecked..
Aug 12, 2017 5:44 PM

Jul 2009
People hate Shinji but like Asuka...-.-

she's a bitch tho?

goodness it must be cuz she has tits.
Aug 13, 2017 1:52 AM

Nov 2016
Inugirlz said:
People hate Shinji but like Asuka...-.-

she's a bitch tho?

goodness it must be cuz she has tits.

Yeah that must be it.. She's my 2nd least favourite Eva girl. Only beats Ritsuko.
Sep 5, 2017 7:11 AM

Nov 2016
The legendary tsundere finally appeared.

Dat german,tho xD.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2017 1:58 PM

May 2016
Damn we want Ayanami not tsundere chan.
Oct 30, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2013
Oh Asuka! I really love her introduction to the series.
Dec 4, 2017 6:42 AM

Nov 2016
Asuka is love, Asuka is life.
Jan 21, 2018 12:23 PM

Apr 2015
And so we meet Asuka. I've gotta say...I think I'm more of a Rei guy. Asuka's definitely got the looks, until she opens her mouth...she just reminds me too much of characters like Angelica from Rugrats and Princess Morbucks from The Powerpuff Girls. My opinion could change getting to know her more in later episodes though.

"You're thinking in Japanese, aren't you? If you must think, do it in German!"
"Uh, okay...strudel...bratwurst..."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 17, 2018 2:45 AM

Mar 2016
Asuka, a tsundere from German who is the pilot for EVA 02... I am interested to learn more about her and how her and Shinji's relationship will become. Besides that, Adam is the other most interesting thing in this episode.

Shinji's friends might be lucky to be brought to the Navy fleet for 'sightseeing' but they aren't lucky if they're around Asuka. I can imagine the multiple slapping in the future because both of them have a bad first impression.

The outro changes to Asuka's theme?
ShadowkillZFeb 17, 2018 3:20 AM
Feb 17, 2018 9:08 AM

Mar 2016
@ShadowZ_AnimeZ "outro" = "ending"? If yes, I don't understand: the 50s song is used for every episode till the end.[/quote]

The only difference is the color in the background.
Mar 2, 2018 1:47 AM

Sep 2017
We meet Asuka, who is more annoying than even Misako. But more fan service next episode. That's amazing!!

Also, Misako seems to be taking some tips in cool speech from Akagi. Also, Kaji and Misako? This is new. And we see more reason why Kaji escaped, due to Adam, the first human. Let's see where this goes. Toji also is more than willing to pull down his pants for Asuka. The fight was good and I loved NERV suck it up to the UN. Also, I saw a semblance of underground city in the underwater fight. This world is more complex than expected. We also see the unit 2 and second child.

This was a good episode. I would definitely put this on my rewatch list. And, the German from Asuka was good.

I think Asuka is a bit tsundere. Correct me if I am wrong.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 8, 2018 2:07 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@CodeBlazeFate What did this episode do to you?! How did it earned a -1 to the whole series? q_p
Come explain yourself to the public tribune.
The more I thought I realized that it wasn't exact a 9 yet. Not the episode's fault, I actually did that much sooner lol
May 26, 2018 8:20 AM

Aug 2017
So, the famous tsundare Asuka shows up. I like her, she have a decent personality.

LOL Shinji in the red suit.

Kaji is funny.

Overall, was an interesting introduction of Asuka. The fight was cool. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 27, 2018 5:33 AM
Apr 2018
Man that German was hilarious. I love it when a character speaks a non English "native language" and it ends up ridiculously thick. I can't help laughing every time I hear it.
Aug 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Feb 2017
JeremiahOrange said:
Also, I saw a semblance of underground city in the underwater fight. This world is more complex than expected.
Since the Second Impact destroyed and melted Antarctica's ice caps, the global water level must have risen.
Sep 4, 2018 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
lmao what an entrance!! Though, people here actually seem to like her un-ironically, which is....never mind
MisterGibbonSep 4, 2018 2:13 PM
Dec 5, 2018 11:37 AM

Aug 2016
FightinRabites said:
is it just me or did this episode use a lot more stereotypical "anime" and comedic facial expressions ....not that its necessarily a bad thing

Yeah I feel like they overlooked apocalyptic and melancolic mood of first couple episodes and went into typical filler thropes mid? At least 90'ties and millenium typical? While building up and foreshadowing things working in shadow. All the characters so far are bit different then I expected them though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2018 4:50 AM

Aug 2013
Not surprised that she was transferred to their school.

Dec 13, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2017
While I can't understand people who hate Shinji at all, I can kind of see how Asuka is grating to many people. I was personally a bit annoyed by her on my first watch, but when I hit this episode on my rewatch... she's actually quite fun to watch! I completely forgot about the "Think in German" line and cracked up when I heard it again. This series really has some great over the top action. While it certainly deals with serious topics, stuff like the naval battle or the entire Japanase power grid being hooked up to a gun is just simple minded fun and I love it.
Dec 13, 2018 5:29 PM

May 2013
cptlee39 said:
While I can't understand people who hate Shinji at all, I can kind of see how Asuka is grating to many people. I was personally a bit annoyed by her on my first watch, but when I hit this episode on my rewatch... she's actually quite fun to watch! I completely forgot about the "Think in German" line and cracked up when I heard it again. This series really has some great over the top action. While it certainly deals with serious topics, stuff like the naval battle or the entire Japanase power grid being hooked up to a gun is just simple minded fun and I love it.

I just finished watching the series mere moments ago and I don't get the hate against Shinji either. At all I mean. It deals with the serious stuff, I give you that. Nonetheless, it was quite a strange viewing experience (not hating on it). I have yet to understand what sort of anime was I actually watching XD

As for Asuka and Shinji, they are just 14 year old teenage kids, and to me it seems like people were expecting some Jame Bond or Lara Croft shit out of them, lol. Their reactions/behaviour in the whole anime are just appropriate for their age, where they are known to go through a variety of emotions. They were handled well IMO.

Maybe the possible answer behind Shinj's notoriety/infamy and also what the series is all about lies in End of Evangelion, which I am about to head into next.
KreatorXDec 13, 2018 5:33 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 13, 2018 10:06 PM

Mar 2017
KreatorX said:
cptlee39 said:

I just finished watching the series mere moments ago and I don't get the hate against Shinji either. At all I mean. It deals with the serious stuff, I give you that. Nonetheless, it was quite a strange viewing experience (not hating on it). I have yet to understand what sort of anime was I actually watching XD

As for Asuka and Shinji, they are just 14 year old teenage kids, and to me it seems like people were expecting some Jame Bond or Lara Croft shit out of them, lol. Their reactions/behaviour in the whole anime are just appropriate for their age, where they are known to go through a variety of emotions. They were handled well IMO.

Maybe the possible answer behind Shinj's notoriety/infamy and also what the series is all about lies in End of Evangelion, which I am about to head into next.

"Strange" is a very fitting way to describe Evangelion. :D

Yeah, that's the thing I love about the series. The kids aren't overpowered action heroes, or smarter than the adults, which is a cliche you often see. It's ultimately a very character-driven show, and if you don't try to look beneath their surface, then sure Shinji is "whiny" and Asuka is "arrogant". But I wouldn't wanna have them any other way.

End of Evangelion sure is notorious for some things... I personally love it a lot more than the series finale, though opinions on that are divided. I hope you like(d) it!
Dec 14, 2018 1:19 AM

May 2013
cptlee39 said:
]

End of Evangelion sure is notorious for some things... I personally love it a lot more than the series finale, though opinions on that are divided. I hope you like(d) it!

Oh man, I think it was a great experience and a lot more satisfying than the original ending.

As for EoE, I was starting to get annoyed with the movie given the way it was presented and I can see why Shinji gets the hate, but only to a small extent. However, that ending removed the annoyance I was having. It summarized everything that transpired in Evangelion really well. It is burned in my memory as an iconic scene xD

I could argue that overall, the anime's 'show-but-don't-tell' approach might ward many people off and give them only a surface level understanding of characters. No handholding is provided, which explains why I was mildly annoyed while watching the movie. However, pausing to reflect and piecing together the jigsaw of the characters cleared a lot of questions and made me appreciate the movie a lot :D
KreatorXDec 14, 2018 1:26 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.