Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 2016 7:58 AM
Aug 2011
So from what I could garner, Yuzuki had a story very reminiscent of Ai's. A superstitious community shunned her family and did nothing to help while Yuzuki and her mother slowly rotted away. Judging by Yuzuki's eyes turning red when her mother dies, it was enough to turn her into an Onryo, much like Ai. But instead of going to town and wreaking havoc, she chose to lie down and accept her fate. I suppose that the whole dream world she lived in for the entire season was Ai "breaking her in", essentially conditioning her for the part of Jigoku Shoujo. Though Yuzuki's personality is different. When she accepts the fate of becoming the next Jigoku Shoujo, she does it not out of a sense of submission and atonement, but of justice. She wanted not to do Jigoku Shoujo's job, she wanted to make sure only the truly unjust would go to Hell. Sadly it didn't work out, because there are rules in place to keep someone from abusing Jigoku Shoujo's power. That's when Ai had to step in. I'm guessing that Ai crying was either her realizing the extent of Yuzuki's "purity" and that she made a mistake, or lamenting the fact that she is to return to the role of Jigoku Shoujo for eternity. Either way, she couldn't let Yuzuki take her place, because she didn't want Yuzuki to share the same fate, or God forbid be consigned to hell. The kiss at the end was Ai imparting Yuzuki memories of her own past, so that Yuzuki would understand why Ai cared so much (Ai's a big softie if you think about it, she's just really professional), and why she did what she did.
As for Yuzuki, she was either sent to Heaven or was reincarnated in a reality in which the bus accident did not happen (or any other link in this chain of disasters).
Ai will go on doing her job. She's used to it (what's another eternity). Knowing her smarts, she'd probably find another loophole somewhere down the road, and stick it to the Lord of Hell once again. She's gotten pretty good at that over the years.

But those are just my two cents.
Oct 3, 2016 7:55 AM

Apr 2016
So, in the end, what's the point of this season? Low-quality MOST of the episodic stories, ruined the last season's ending and gave a bad ending to pretty much everyone (except for Yuzuki who avoided going to hell, I think).

Disappointing.

This should've ended with the 2nd season while omitting Tsugumi's scene so that it doesn't feel as a cliffhanger. (I'm going to re-watch the last minutes of it just to keep it as the last thing I saw from Hell Girl)
Oct 21, 2016 2:17 PM

Apr 2009
...bwahaha- and that's when she figured "hm, maybe this didn't go quite as well as i had thought it would.."

i keep wondering about Yamawaru though; he wasn't human to begin with, but he joined Ai's crew, did that give him any special powers or something?

"i will accept the punishment" <--we've been here before people.

-...i am uncertain what that really meant, umh....

two things i didn't quite understand; the kiss,
and who was the woman by the end..?
oh, wait- that was the son escaping to 'murrica, the daughter of the taxi-driver and.... ....the son's mother? the policeman's maid? tbh, i couldn't remember her face _xD
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Oct 22, 2016 12:53 PM

Jun 2015
I didn't like Yuzuki being Hell Girl. It has to be Ai afterall.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 17, 2017 9:58 AM

Apr 2009
Honestly this is a bad season. The last 2 episodes are the only good thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
Finally a season 4 is coming this year. :)

Does anyone know who is that lady that pulled the string in the end?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2017 12:03 PM

Nov 2012
The last couple of episodes were a huge feels trip for me... I need to relax...

Jul 14, 2017 11:19 PM
Mar 2016
soooooo what was the point of building up yuzuki to be hell girl then snatching it away from her in two seconds??? cmon?? not clear on what happened to hajime. overall 6/10
Jul 19, 2017 1:41 AM

Sep 2014
It was a decent ending, last couple of episodes were good indeed, but that it. The ending made this season absolutely pointless since all the development of yuzuki becoming jigoku shoujo was turned out to be a waste. I'm a bit disappointed and imo this season was not needed at all.
Nov 4, 2017 6:26 AM

Sep 2012
i almost tared up, Ai should have taken her to be her companion cause like she said they are alike, she would have been much better companion then other's when it comes to emotional stuff & shouldering part of her pain

japanme32 said:
dragonshade said:
seriously, what happened to Yuzuki after that. thats the only place I couldnt catch

She was swept back into the past to not die at the time she was to die? Maybe? Something of time paradox.
Predseln said:
I dont get it why you guys say poor Ai,

poor Yuzuki.

Uneable to go to heaven(which she deserved), wandering between the two worlds. Being chosen as one of the next Jigoku Shoujo and shown so much suffering and sadness, while living in a complete illusion. Seeing her best friend dissappearing into hell and have to bear with all the pain caused by Ai.

She is the only truly sad character in this show, i hope she will find peace in heaven and maybe will be able to meet Akie.

oh well, but i neither couldt understand the part between her and Ai so iam also waiting for Subs to fully understand what happens to her.... i just hope for the best.

Ai somewhat deserves to go all that suffering, because she doesnt even try to stop sending innocent people to hell on behalf of mostly senseless grudges!

i hope that humanity wouldnt sell her souls for this kind of things...

at the end, i really like that show and at the same time i hate it like nothing else.
It just makes me think about so much, like my own weaknesses and fears... its to hard to explain!
EShirou said:
I... don't understand the ending can someone explain to me since

EDIT: Ok after collecting some data i think i understand more, the only part i don't understand is

Aside from this, I WANT 4th SEASON, NOW!!

nope Yuzuki moved on to haven like a ghost story once her emotions that keep her here in this world are resolved she moves on, so Yuzuki free & in haven new

Jacut said:
Jacut said:
However, seeing the preview of the next episode I have a feeling that Yuzuki is just another failure of a Jigoku Shoujo that will act by pure revenge and ressentment more than by duty and won't pass the Jigoku test. We may then see Enma Ai again. Just my two cents though.

Seems like I predicted the ending very accurately last week (yay I know it was quite easy ;)). At least that means that the reasoning behind the series was good and that the scriptwriters achieved what they wanted to, so that's a pretty good ending, even if a bit predictable and conventional.

Overall, the series was exactly at the same level as the first two. Except for the animation and art, the three seasons are pretty much identical from beginning to end in terms of scenario, characters, themes, and overall structure, so it os worth an 8/10 for me.

all went like Ai planned, u do remember she can see the future at least little bit, she wanted to free her from the beginning, but that game she played was necessary to achieve it

demontwi said:
reira93 said:
but i didnt understand why ai said u are meT-T. someone explain it,plz?

Ai just meant that her and Yuzuki's stories were similar. They were both sort of abandoned by their town/village and even those who were close to them. (Ai's boyfriend and the shopkeeper where Yuzuki's got groceries)

Anyways, for the first fifteen episodes or so I was really disappointed by the third season, but after the episode where Akie disappeared I started to enjoy it as much as the other two. I really liked the ending, and even though they left a few questions I'd like to know the answer to unanswered, I think they should leave it and not make a fourth season.
I especially loved the part where whats-her-face stabbed the guy truly responsible for what happened to her father, then was immediately after sent to hell herself.
10/10 from me. :3

at least some got the point

groovykirito said:
soooooo what was the point of building up yuzuki to be hell girl then snatching it away from her in two seconds??? cmon?? not clear on what happened to hajime. overall 6/10

like i said above all went like Ai planned from the start, AI so herself in Yuzuki & wanted to save her, cause no1 saved her & she didn't want another the suffer like that

Markcolloway said:
It was a decent ending, last couple of episodes were good indeed, but that it. The ending made this season absolutely pointless since all the development of yuzuki becoming jigoku shoujo was turned out to be a waste. I'm a bit disappointed and imo this season was not needed at all.

it had a point, point was to save Yuzuki in the end, i explained about it above a bit
Sugram22Nov 4, 2017 6:56 AM
Nov 4, 2017 1:04 PM

May 2015
Ok.

3rd season wasn't good as 1st and 2nd. It has some moments, but that is all. 5/10.

If 4th season isn't any better then I'm glad that it only has 12.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 22, 2018 5:08 AM

Oct 2015
Yuzuki got sent to the dimension of the unknown :( I'll miss her.. *pretends she didn't disappear T_T*

Ai's early days as a Hell Girl were most likely similar to Yuzuki. She also used her emotions and played the judge only to be punished and get sent to hell. That, in addition to the similarity of their backstory (killed alongside her parents by her neighborhood), made her see too much of herself in Yuzuki.

Ai didn't want Yuzuki to go through the shit that made her suffer further and eventually go emotionally numb. She respected Yuzuki's innocent-yet-rebellious soul, but also cared about her, and so she chose to send her off to a peaceful place after revealing how similar they actually are. Yuzuki = Past Ai.

Kikuri/Spider-Judge-Thing seems to have gone relatively lenient with Ai over the time.
TogameCheerioFeb 22, 2018 7:48 AM
Jan 3, 2019 7:15 PM

Jul 2014
I liked the fact that this season had an overarching storyline, but it kinda felt like a more repetitive season 1, with Yuzuki repeatedly failing to stop people from banishing others to Hell. For some reason she is acquainted with all the clients. Also, I don't know what was the point of having Ai kiss Yuzuki to possess her and show her her memories.

Think I probably liked the first two seasons better, though I did like episode 20. 5/10
D-ohnutsJan 4, 2019 11:41 AM
Apr 25, 2019 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
The end it's quite sad feels bad for Ai and Yuzuki, that maiden sended Azusa to hell instead of Akie's father.
This is the weakest season among the three overall the plot chapters were okay but the non plot were stupid and kinda dumb except for a few.
7/10
Jun 12, 2019 9:34 AM

Jun 2017
I somehow have mixed feelings about that ending, I don't know if I completely like it that Ai has to go through being Jigoku Shoujo forever, never to be freed again. Agh, damn it, now this is what the OP song means, Ai is just like a crazy little bird, wanting to be caged again. After all she's been through, she thought about Yuzuki before even thinking about herself. AGGHHHHHH >_<.

But anyway, If somehow, Yuzuki became the hell girl, we wouldn't see more of Ai, but still, to go through this forever.... nah... that's just too much. Let Ai have her rest.

Agh.. yeah, "one escaped" and it was Yuzuki, Ai chose to be bound as Hell Girl, forever. Poor Ai, my kawaii Ai...

Nice Airport scene ending though, Tsujino-bashi finally got killed by the woman who sent Akie and then the maid banished that very woman to hell, very nice.
EmperorAlfredJun 12, 2019 9:39 AM
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 17, 2019 9:57 AM

Sep 2012
Akis father dudn't pull the string but their house jerper did ofc after that bitch was get her revenge and stab that bastard 😂😂😂 what a amusing twist in the end

i wan't to hug both yuzuki and ai right new
dragonshade said:
seriously, what happened to Yuzuki after that. thats the only place I couldnt catch

japanme32 said:
dragonshade said:

She was swept back into the past to not die at the time she was to die? Maybe? Something of time paradox.

nope ai helped her to get in haven instead of hell, its not time travel show they can obly show the past not travel in to past
Sugram22Jun 17, 2019 10:09 AM
Nov 26, 2019 12:55 PM

Oct 2019
Ugh, I feel like this was a downgrade compared to season 2. The premise was interesting, but ultimately this failed to deliver. 6/10
I was pretty okay with them ending it there with season 2, honestly.
Feb 24, 2020 10:17 PM
Feb 2019
No final da 2 temporada Ai não tinha encerrado seu trabalho pq voltou? Talvez eu não tenha percebido mas como ela ganhou corpo de novo e porque perdeu,pq a kikuri perdeu o corpo também. Se tudo era uma ilusão então a yuzuki e akie nunca existiu já q a yuzuki está morta como ela influenciou no mundo real e pra onde ela foi
Eu só acho q a jigoku gosta do trabalho dela porque ela tinha sido liberada e depois voltou
Apr 13, 2020 12:31 AM

Jun 2016
So it's over huh,poor Ai crying.

Damn we never got to see what Enma Ai's grandma looks like.
Feb 1, 2021 2:22 PM

Mar 2019
The ending felt so satisfyingggg. Ai is back and it feels so good to see all 4 of them +kikuri and that boy together again. Now, there are still a lot of questions as the people before me have said, with the biggest one being Where is HAJIMEEE-CHAN!?. 7/10 for this season for me. Felt as good as the 1st season, though I still liked it more because Hajime and Tsugumi and also not as good as s2. From what I know, season 4 is only 6 episodes with the other 6 being a rebroadcast of the first 6 so that's kind of a letdown. I still don't know if the manga is over and all that.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 12, 2022 10:29 AM

Jan 2020
It was oblivious that there was no way to wrap up the season satisfyingly with only one episode, so its not that disappointing.

However, Ai comparing nobody helping Yuzuki and her mother and the Yuzuki being unable to stop others from being sent to hell makes no sense.

She says its due to human selfishness and that those people did not help, because they believe its not possible, thinking about "what are they going to do?".

That argument falls flat when you consider that the entire season built up to the notion that Yuzuki was destined to become Hell Girl and therefor unable to prevent these events from happening.

So, either that argument is meant to compare how these people think its impossible to change something with Yuzuki who fails because she is fated to fail, or it implies that there was no destiny and Yuzuki was just very incompetent in stopping these people from being sent to hell.

Then there is also the possiblity that the writers had no idea what they wanted to convey. All these examples are equally as jarring.

Damn Ai why do you make me continue watching this mess?
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Nov 12, 2022 7:42 PM
Dec 2017
overall this serise is just meh.

Jun 22, 2023 3:56 PM

May 2015
This end could have been a good conclusion for the series.
Aug 13, 2023 4:24 PM

Sep 2017
Ah how fitting. In the very end, it's still the same "Ichi nuketa"
خ
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» do you really believe that all thee victims deserved to go to hell

geekfreak17a - May 17, 2014

5 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 18 Discussion

guyklc - Feb 7, 2009

35 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 27, 2008

72 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 23 Discussion

guyklc - Mar 14, 2009

47 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beave - Mar 20, 2009

52 by Phobossus »»
Aug 26, 2023 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.