Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 28, 2013 12:35 PM

Jun 2008
I can't believe this, I can't even believe that I'm crying either. Did not see any of these plot twists coming, and just the fact of what happened to Aika is so tragic. She's such an intriguing beautiful character, damn. This episode was amazing and a tear jerker.
Jun 14, 2013 10:14 PM

Feb 2011
Yup, Aika was cool and all with her valid reasoning, logic and practicality, reason why I find her really cool, but her calmness is rather cold, though.
Hakaze on the other hand might defies logic and practicality but that's because she acts with her feelings and a big factor why I prefer her over Aika.

I like Aika but I favor Hakaze.
Jul 12, 2013 12:42 AM

Apr 2009
"To be, or not to be, that is the question"

Try as she might, Hakaze is unable to change the facts that night: Aika is already dead in her timeline. To change that fundamental fact is to destroy the future from which she came from, leading to a time paradox in that she ends up dead without contact from Mahiro and help from Yoshino. But she is alive, and therefore she cannot be dead.

It's likely that the two of them cannot be both alive in the future; Aika dies - Hakaze lives; Aika lives, Hakaze dies. Unless it is somehow possible to sever logic and "kick reason to the curb", there is no way she's bringing Aika back with her... of course this is all assuming the magic of Exodus actually follows the same "world logic" as the magic of Genesis does.
Jul 25, 2013 6:04 PM

Nov 2011
It was a twist that I considered but I hope would not happen. I thought that Aika could have suicided but I couldn't find the reason because she could not possibly see the future.

But I didn't see that Aika was stronger than Hakaze or that she was the mage of Exodus. It may be the case that she was only stronger so the future could not be changed. But I think its kind of stupid that this had to happen. It's true that changing the future could lead the princess into a whole different mess but working around logic when there is time travel is just really difficult D=.

Time travel and all these paradox's make a anime with magic based around logic very hard to work around.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Aug 21, 2013 10:25 AM

Jul 2013
What an episode, Aika completely overpowered Hakaze in that fight. And the reason behind Aika's death was due to Hakaze coming to the past and telling Aika the future, leading her to commit suicide.
Sep 20, 2013 10:31 AM

May 2013
I BELIEVE THAT IF AIKA AND HAKAZE WOULD HAD WATCHED STEINS GATE AND THEN FAKE THE DEATH OF AIKA THAT WOULD STILL LEAD TO THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TREE OF GENESIS RIGHT?

AND AFTER THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TREE AIKA CAN THEN APPEAR AGAIN

WELL THAT IS MY THEORY

btw masterpiece episode 5/5 i am so sad for aika, well... cant do anything about that
Sep 20, 2013 11:23 AM

Jan 2011
bye bye the great victim, detective and murderer...

the princess may be blaming herself for triggering Aika's death
Oct 10, 2013 10:31 AM
Dec 2009
Suicide is selfish. No matter the reasons, it causes great suffering for those close to you. If she had asked for Mahiro's opinion, he would have said screw the world, just stay alive.

I really like aika and this show, but this stunt upsets me. I wouldn't mind a weaker story if they could somehow let her stay alive or explore other alternatives. But taking the coward's route lessens my opinion of her and the show
Oct 15, 2013 3:33 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

bastek66 said:

Pawa~! LOL

Dat Melodrama! XD

Episode so handsome! * _ *

Plot calm themselves seeing an opera theater and the BGM that bear even melgar the atmosphere, but the dialogues and blows me back with your feet on the ground! Oh my God! Now that's a really great story! Divine design and animations without hesitation it was before and after it the all-female fist fight! : D
Everything gets 5/5!

Orulyon said:
Oh Aika, this episode reminded me again why I love you.
Safe to click

I agree!
Oct 24, 2013 6:10 AM

Nov 2009
Oh my oh my . . . The death made no sense too be honest once Aika became aware of the future . . . Why? Because she could have easily played the part of Mahiro/Yoshino, pulling back the princess, and even being more power towards killing the Tree of Genesis. But that would be too logical I guess . . .
Jan 16, 2014 8:59 PM
Apr 2011
Fantastic Episode. This episode boosted the rating I had for it by one. I felt myself just enamored by the comportment of Aika. She has such a loquacious and vivacious personality. The flashbacks of her were always good, but it never really did her justice, she's one heck of a character. I knew she had to die ( and I'm glad that they didn't pull a whole different worldline theory to bring her back) but at the same time I wish we had more time to see her in her full glory. She made Hakaze look like a illogical weakling. Hakaze doesn't hold a a candle to Aika.

I was moved by the ending sequence showing Mahiro and Yoshino aftermath of Aika's suicide. Their pain must have been unimaginable. But now, in the present, they should be able to move on knowing that Aika didn't die meaninglessly but for a grandeur goal.

Though this was great, I think this was probably the climax of the anime, things are going to be slowing down and ending but I don't think it will be on the epicness of these last two episodes. Nonetheless, this series was a heck of a ride.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Jan 31, 2014 1:37 AM

Mar 2012
Would've been interesting if they had left hints in the flashbacks that Aika was the mage of Exodus, instead this just felt random.
Feb 11, 2014 2:46 AM

Sep 2013
it was a great fight i guess , but Ika Was A surprise
Mar 9, 2014 3:39 PM

Apr 2013
Oh God... so sad... why can't i cry? Aika is so nice, calm and cool in the same time.... what a shame that she died... T.T
Mar 27, 2014 5:49 PM

Dec 2013
Aika just gained my respect there, easily one of my top 10 fav girls. Again, an almost perfectly executed episode. Dat dual sword play needs a gif. @-@
PriestSlayerMar 27, 2014 6:03 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Apr 3, 2014 1:46 AM

Sep 2013
Aika punching Hakaze right in her stupid face was glorious.

MeviousOct 17, 2014 2:53 PM
May 20, 2014 6:59 AM

Jun 2011
I don't think I have fully grasp what's going on.
Pirating_Ninja said:
Oh my oh my . . . The death made no sense too be honest once Aika became aware of the future . . . Why? Because she could have easily played the part of Mahiro/Yoshino, pulling back the princess, and even being more power towards killing the Tree of Genesis. But that would be too logical I guess . . .

You made a point there, I actually had to go back and watch the scene again (and ep 12/13), and she said she had to die so that Hakaze can join up with Mahiro and Yoshino to defeat the Tree of Genesis, but.. why couldn't Aika do that? Hanemura could do that, couldn't he? Aika is much more powerful. Or must it be Hakaze, the one who take down the Tree of Genesis? Aika died so that Hakaze would doubt the logic of the Tree of Genesis? Still, I believe there should be other ways out. The loop there, Aika met future Hakaze 1 year ago, I wonder since when it started?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 16, 2014 10:53 PM

Apr 2010
Oh man I KNEW she committed suicide and didn't get killed. I feel bad for Hakaze!
Jul 20, 2014 5:39 PM

May 2010
I saw this coming, way too predictable.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 31, 2014 10:07 AM

May 2012
What an impressive episode! Somewhere I just knew that she killed herself as heck who would even manage to kill someone that strong? But damn it sure was touching and ow so great! I really love this kind of development and wonder what will happen next!
Sep 14, 2014 5:09 AM

Jul 2013
ha! I knew she's gonna commit suicide! I had that idea when she said in one of the flashbacks in one of the previous episodes that "Everything happens for a reason".
Sep 30, 2014 10:47 AM
Jul 2014
Fuwa Aika is a douchebag, so she thinks her suicide had more value than living??

Are you kidding me!?!?

She felt concerned for Yoshino when Hakaze mentioned him to her, did she not think of how her death would affect him??

Aika talked about her suicide without any sense of emotion (sadness or pain).

Yoshino moved on too quickly when he found out the truth, her "choice" was the right one?

No big deal?

His girl commited suicide for him, and he ain't even mad?? CRAZY!!!

number35Sep 30, 2014 11:02 AM
Dec 27, 2014 4:31 AM

Jun 2011
The flow of the blood on the floor was beautiful lol
I kind's knew it but it was still exciting
Dec 31, 2014 5:52 AM

Jun 2013
PLOT TWIST. PLOT TWIST EVERYWHERE.
Jan 4, 2015 4:21 AM

Feb 2014
Yep, its as I feared...

The reason Aika committed suicide was because she was told she was going to get murdered by Hakaze who is from the future where she is already murdered. This is a paradox. I have to lower my score for this show. Good episode but if your going to a story involving time travel please do not create such a blatant paradox. They went so such trouble to avoid a paradox the first time the princess time traveled. Sigh

eXtacy67Jan 4, 2015 4:26 AM
Jan 6, 2015 4:32 AM

Jul 2014
Aika exuded beauty through her actions. It doesn't matter what she did things for because the reasons stem from her being bound by her circumstances. It is the manner in which she did that made her so beautiful to me. I love her. Her mind, that is, for she is so like myself (haha). Even though her character is the embodiment of the writers' thought processes, but I'm not gonna go around saying I love people's thoughts now, am I?

This small piece of character development that is this episode is what made the show for me. It's not even her sacrifice per se, but the nobility of her mind. Indeed, it's the little things that count. The thoughts behind the characters' words/actions, yes yes that's it.
Dan1234567890Jan 6, 2015 5:22 AM
Feb 12, 2015 10:13 AM

Oct 2011
Watching everything for second time now, I realize how much I like Aika. I think she is a great charakter and I like her personality.
May 17, 2015 10:18 AM

Sep 2013
It was one of the best episodes in my opinion.
Aika is a very interesting and charimastic character ~
May 30, 2015 3:09 AM

May 2013
AMAZING EPISODE.
Even though I did consider the possibility that she would kill herself, the show still made it have such a big impact.

I thought that Aika was a sinister character mainly because I thought she was the Mage of Exodus but I was completely wrong like about everything. Like after seeing her real motives and intentions, it just changed everything. I was extremely surprised when she punched Hakaze too considering what I said a couple episodes back about, how she doesn't really love Yoshino. Never hated Aika but I never really liked her either. This episode made her really likeable.

Although I still ship Yoshino x Hakaze :P.

I was tearing up when I saw Yoshino running frantically past Hakaze. Tragic.

Gonna assume the reason Hanemura lays the smackdown is because he wants to protect Aika's promise to let them read the letter only after destroying the Tree of Genesis.
Jun 21, 2015 7:40 PM
Aug 2012
Boring and predictable.

Worst episode in a good show. Learned nothing I didn't already know, and Aika remained her boring self without even an attempt from the writers to make her remotely more interesting. EDIT: And then episode 22 happens. Honestly, still a boring character.

Also, at the end... Really? O'Cursed Spite? Because quoting Shakespeare's works is cool, somehow...? Even with the context provided? This show would've been much better without em'.

Also classical music can go fuck itself, the same monotonous music has been playing during every extended conversation this show has. I like the show, yet I hate that it feels like it needs to be artsy. It's fine to be artsy, don't get me wrong, but don't fucking shove it down my throat!
shurryyJun 21, 2015 7:43 PM
Aug 9, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2012
These last two episodes made me really like Aika even more. She's so calm and cool about everything. Idk what goes on in her head, but she's really something haha. Such a unique character :)

Now that that mystery is solved, all I'm looking forward to is the reaction of Yoshino and Mahiro since I'm not too big of a fan of the tree aspect of this series. I hope the last 3 episodes exceed my expectations :)

Oh yeah, I wanna know how Yoshino and Aika became lovers. And we still don't know how Junichirou's powers..
Nov 7, 2015 3:51 AM

Apr 2010
I'm glad Aika hit Hakaze, I really hated her for breaking down Yoshino's defenses and making him cry. Clearly Aika felt she needed to be punished just like I did.
In the back of my head I had already considered Aika killing herself, I mean who dies with such a calm look on their face like that. And I think I can remember it being a smile when they showed her body before.
Dec 19, 2015 9:58 AM
Mar 2014
The first time I watched the series I thought it was amazing how everything comes together to make sense at the end...but while rewatching it I realize it just makes sense because the writers MADE IT come together. If you think about it, Aika REALLY doesn't have to die. She kills herself so that Hakaze, Mahiro and Yoshino can destroy the Tree of Genesis... but she's more powerful than all of them combined! Hakaze doesn't HAVE to kill it, Aika could've done it while staying alive...
Dec 22, 2015 3:09 AM
Jan 2012
I'm just rewatching this right now...

Aika definitely the best girl for me. I never realized how annoyed I was that Hakaze basically emotionally manipulated/forced yoshino into crying. She had such a self satisfied look on her face after that, I was happy aika punched her for it. I generally liked hakaze, but she never understood yoshino on the level that aika did. That scene kinda symbolized it for me right there.

And while Hakaze showed herself admirably for desperately trying to prevent aika's death, I didn't buy the fact that she was doing it for mahiro too. It felt kinda shoehorned in there considering she basically saw their deal aso strictly a business arrangement and she never gave a crap about him when she went globetrotting around with yoshino.
Jan 18, 2016 12:46 AM

Sep 2014
Aika is an awesome character. Hakaze on the other hand, is frustratingly slow to understand things.
The animation during their fight was nice.
Mirai, zura~!
Jan 31, 2016 6:26 PM

Jul 2013
So finally all pieces are together and we know what happened. Poor Hakaze, even as she tried so hard she couldn't prevent it. ;_ ;

I can't see how Yoshino and Mahiro will react to this. Definitely an nice episode to clear it up.

Feb 12, 2016 5:16 PM

Mar 2015
Aika is the best chara in this show!!

Aika is waaay stronger than Hakaze and the fight is pretty good.

The ED song made me cry and got emotional.

3.75/5
May 27, 2016 1:28 PM

Dec 2014
Respect for Aika ..... Seems like everything happened for the reason...... I hope this was not what had happened to Akia... but you know I can't stop feelig sad about it
Jun 9, 2016 4:13 AM

Aug 2012
Dako said:
Incredible! I love time travel so much. The battle near the bridge had great animation, it really portrayed Fuwa Aika's graceful finesse with the blade.

The death scene was inevitable. The past wasn't going to change anyway but it was still a great sight for Hakaze to see Yoshino and Mahiro at the end before they formally meet. The most enjoyable episode yet.
It wasn't inevitable Ms Bakenomogatari fan ;) Aika just believed it to be so. Think about it: Hakaze's death was supposed to be inevitable yet it wasn't.

Monad said:
Wow! i pretty much nailed the whole paradox stuff about Aika learning the future from Hakaze and killing herself when Hakaze went back because Aika killed herself in my previous episode post.

Monad said:

Well as it is now it seems we have two most possible scenarios.
Ether she fought with Hakaze and got killed by her or she killed herself so she can manipulate the events following her death. The second scenario would need of course her having some sort of clairvoyance knowing what events her death will cause but maybe she doesn't need it now with Hakaze arriving from the future. Maybe she will fool Hakaze in telling her the future and knowing all this events she may decide that it fits her agenda(whatever that may be) and decides to kill herself so she can make those events come to reality.

So ironically if the last scenario comes true, Hakaze will still be partly responsible for her death because the knowledge that made Aika kill herself was given by her.

Btw i liked how they made the fighting seem like Aika was dancing. Even after the revelations and her death Aika managed to keep her mysterious nature.

Still confused about one thing. Why does Aika believe that everyone will die if she doesn't kill herself. Beacuse only Hakaze can defeat the tree of Genesis? She can't? But she said that maybe she isn't suppose to be able do. So she doesn't know for certain.
So why take such extreme measure for a doubtful future.
Maybe she they could very well have defeated the tree without her needing to kill herself.
In a way she seemed too willing to kill herself.
Another thing i dodn't get is what happens with the tree of Exodus. If the tree of Genesis resets shit and doesn't let humanity keep going then what about the tree of Exodus? Didn't that tree wanted to destroy everything in the past? Shouldn't they destroy that too.
Also i don't know if it was the translation wrong but Aika said that gets direct power by the tree of Genesis? The tree of Genesis? Wait isn't she the magician of Exodus? Why get power from the tree of Genesis? Are the two trees actually connected and in a way one and the same?

eXtacy67 said:
Yep, its as I feared...

The reason Aika committed suicide was because she was told she was going to get murdered by Hakaze who is from the future where she is already murdered. This is a paradox. I have to lower my score for this show. Good episode but if your going to a story involving time travel please do not create such a blatant paradox. They went so such trouble to avoid a paradox the first time the princess time traveled. Sigh

No, Aika committed suicide because she was a dumb fatalist.She chose the easy way out unlike Hakaze that chose to fight. What you said is her logic. But think about this: assume there is an original timeline where she did notkill herself. That must have existed because otherwise you have a paradox. An original timeline is the only way to save the logic of this episode.

Serge91 said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Where's John Titor when you need him?

You'd be correct, there has to be an original world line where the future cannot effect the past. That is, if we're taking the chicken and egg paradox into account. Zetsuen probably isn't going by those strict(logical) time traveling rules, so I don't suppose it really matters.

No, it doesn't need to have one. It depends on theory of time. You can check on some physic and philosophical books.

I know what you mean, BUT there is a problem: the whole paradox thing they keep talking about is only valid if this theory of time is applied. Personally I liked the Warrior Within and LoK tie travel mechanics best from every movie/game I saw. So to conclude an original timeline should have existed.

Aviz said:
Loved this episode!

But i still don't get one thing though and that's, why did she sacrifice herself in the first place? I mean there had to be one time in a different past where she'd sacrifice herself without Hakaze going back in time and telling her about the future, right?

That unfortunately is never explained because the author never thought an original timeline should exist. My theory is in the original timeline she did not kill herself and in the end failed to destroy the Tree, maybe even had to fight against Yoshino. While dying she sent a message to herself to kill herself to prevent this future. It is just from my imagination but wouldn't that help everything make sense?

The most dissappointing episode of the whole series. Aika's reasoning is so bad it hurts my brain. First of all there are two types of time-travel mechanics theories:
1. time is linear and as such even with time travel you still have the regular cause and effect. So in this version there should be an original timeline where Aika did not die. We do not know what happens in that timeline but since there is the whole I must die to preserve the future falls flat as there are endless possibilities.
2. the storm version that happens in Prince of Persia Warrior Within. Basically cause and effect are just the way we perceive things and stuff can happen in any sequence once you insert tie travel.

First of all there is a great deal about paradoxes which is a big bull of crap. That whole thing seems necessary only because we see time as linear which is not necessarily true. Second as I stated in #1 there should be an original timeline. Not sure how things ended in that timeline but it means she can live. Also Hakaze could have kept her big mouth shut and not tell her about Aika's death. But I guess she wanted Aika to die otherwise she would have shut her trap. You see Aika had no idea she was going to kill herself. So by going back in time Hakaze caused this to happen. I hoped for something more inventive like Aika just being temporary dead and being revived by the tree of exodus afterwards but that is too dumb. Also I would not have forgave her for what she has done. Suicide is the way of the coward. Life is a struggle. Quitting is cowardly.
TyrelJun 14, 2016 8:55 PM
Jun 14, 2016 8:55 PM

Sep 2011
@nightcrawlercyp

stop double posting. It's not allowed.
Jun 14, 2016 10:02 PM

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:
@nightcrawlercyp

I did not mean to double post. Shouldn't double posting be automatically prevented by the forum?
Jun 14, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2011
nightcrawlercyp said:
Tyrel said:
@nightcrawlercyp

I did not mean to double post. Shouldn't double posting be automatically prevented by the forum?
Should but isn't. MAL coding is old.
Jun 15, 2016 12:55 AM

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Should but isn't. MAL coding is old.
That is too bad. I thought it used PHPBB3 which a has a big support community and all kinds of useful mods. :( anyway sorry and hope my isp connection will not cause stuff like this anymore.
Jun 24, 2016 11:55 PM

Feb 2016
I'd say that's been the most powerful episode thus far with many reveals as well as some tragedy. The fighting part was well animated. I kind of expected aika being a mage however so it wasn't that big of a surprise. I wonder how the events will change now with the letter from aika.
Oct 22, 2016 5:39 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
ecimir said:
I hope something unexpected will happen at the end. This is too sad and desperate. I really hate time traveling with no effect of changing present.

It played just like a Tragedy, finally unveiled. Like Hakaze said, this was supposed to be Tempest, not Hamlet for Christ sakes!!

Overall great episode with some real emotional developments...
Dec 16, 2016 3:22 PM

Sep 2015
OMG the feels I thought Aika was gonna be a terrible person but dam she commited suicide for fate to happen. #RipAika
Jul 3, 2017 9:44 PM

Jul 2015
So she ended up killing herself, wow I was right, that makes me 2/2. Can't say that it wasn't predictable tho, this was the only logical outcome for this situation. This was great tho, I did not expect her to be that powerful.

caught in the wonder
Oct 20, 2017 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
wow this was really really good. Pretty much pushed my score from 7 to 8.

Also I dont know why but I expected Aika to be it from episode 2 or 3.
For some reason I have the feeling I saw her character somewhere but I dont remember where. I really like her, she has something special.

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 6, 2017 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
nina4life said:
No matter what others say, I loved it. Every second of it. Aikas theory makes sense, when you look at it from future perspective. None of it would happen if she didn't die, and many more bad things could've happened.

Great episode, Aika once again proving she's one of the best characters in this show. Looking forward to seeing how it resolves in the next 3 episodes. I'm seriously sad there's not going to be second season (well, there's no sense to have it) since this is without a doubt one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Do you remember this anime? I saw it several years ago and I was confused at one point. Hakaze said cause and effect has been distorted. Aiwa decided to kill herself because Hakaze told her of the future. Something about going beyond time? Please explain if you remember. I re-watched the episode and I don't get it
Feb 22, 2019 7:24 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, so if Aika had lived everyone would have died. I think that Hakaze telling about her future is a infinite time loop.

I like that this episode answered most of the questions about the magic used by Kusaribe clan, both Trees, the magic of Exodus and Aika. She is a very good written character.

Amazing episode. 5/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

398 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

116 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

278 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

138 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

175 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 6:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.