Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Nov 12, 2013 4:54 PM

Oct 2013
I'm really enjoying the pacing of this anime, I thought in the first ep that it might plod along at a really boring rate of the Classics Club solving lame mystery after lame mystery but its all slotting together really nicely. Especially with the different styles of animation, really keeps me engaged in what the character's are saying. For example, when Chitanda is explaining things about her uncle.

What I didn't really understand is when Oreki is sitting on the park bench with a young Chitanda digging heaps of holes around him. Is it just a metaphor for her search for her lost memories or something? Whilst he just sits back and does as little as possible?
Idk.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 5:29 AM

Jun 2013
Eru is so moe. c:
By the way, nice episode, although it was kinda boring. I hope it gets darker soon.
Jan 14, 2014 5:18 PM

Jul 2013
So investigating about Chitanda's uncle for her past. Damn Oreki just made that guy slip out his tongue when he was hiding something. Some skillful detective skills he has, despite that he is still lazy XD.

At least we get a little character development for Chitanda and Oreki, about their backstory. Looks like they need to find that 1st edition anthology book.

Feb 17, 2014 4:56 PM

Jul 2013
Nice episode! its very interesting to me~!
Feb 23, 2014 6:43 PM

Dec 2008
I also love this episode. I really like how the anime shows Oreki's imagination of whatever is going on for him.

Even though I still see this as a slice-of-anime more than a mystery one, I'm still intrigued and curious about what happened with Chitanda's uncle and the club all those years ago. I'm also wondering if that will affect the present, if the truth is found out.
Mar 23, 2014 8:36 PM

Aug 2013
Oh wow, Houtarou really owned that guy amazingly! The dude looked like he was shitting his pants xD

I'm really liking this anime so far. I love how every mystery look so boring in first place, but the way Houtarou describe them make them look so complez and clever.

The dissapointment Houtarou showed when Chitanda told her about her uncle problem instead of a love declaration was hilarious :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 1, 2014 2:20 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm, well that was interesting ... so turns out Chitanda's uncle was in the Classics club too eh? He's gone missing and she wants to remember what he told her ... hmm, like I said, interesting. Not too sure whether Houtarou can do anything about it, but no harm in asking I suppose? :P Kind of like his sister I guess ... who just so happens to send him a letter telling him where the old club anthologies were! "Good timing" indeed ...
Wow Tohgaito (I think that's his name?) got totally played by Houtarou eh XD I DID think the boxes were a sensor of some sort and it was pretty obvious he was airing out the room as well, but didn't expect him to be storing cigarettes in the chem box ... I thought it would be something else. Idk, maybe smoking's more looked down on in Japan? Well I guess it kinda makes sense if his family's in education lol. Dat reputation :P Pretty smart thinking of him to get the anthologies delivered to the room for them XD
Wtf sunflower costume LOL O_O So Chitanda's uncle did something spectacular and is a "legend" eh ... too bad the first issue's missing. Of course it is. Ah well, wondering where this will lead us! :O
Jun 17, 2014 9:39 PM

May 2014
I am in love with this anime. I don't say that very often...
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Jun 29, 2014 5:59 PM
Jul 2012
Was not expecting air on the g string in beginning of the episode.
Aug 20, 2014 2:35 AM

Aug 2009
oreki being a badass again, me gusta

at first i was like koizumi? and then i was like bleh

keep 'em coming
Mar 22, 2015 3:57 AM

Oct 2013
Great episode. Oreki continues to be pain in the a** until he accepts to help :) And he really surprises me in each episode with how smart and observant he is....
May 17, 2015 11:54 PM

Jul 2008
Okay now its turning into a detective show like I wanted it to be.

If only Shinichi Kudo was more like Houtaro and less of an arrogant ass, I'd like Detective Conan a heck of a lot more.
Jun 7, 2015 8:30 AM
Jun 2015
Damn..oreki just "defeat" that guy
Jul 6, 2015 8:55 PM

Sep 2014
so far I'm not sure if I'm enjoying more than it is getting under my skin.

I kind of predicted it, the second they mention Hyouka #2, I knew #1 would be missing. I also realized that he was hiding something and what he was smoking. little predictable, but I liked it.

I feel like this anime is kind of over dramatic at times. About eru's character I don't really like her. Very forceful, loud, naggy, intruding, controlling, and over dramatic. When she was yelling at the guy or nagging at him for help(the guy who was smoking), I honestly yelled at the screen, "Stop yelling damnit!" Also when she grabs him by the arm and starts dragging him, uhhh that crawls to the depths of my skin just to irritate me.
Oct 23, 2015 11:56 PM
May 2015
Too much mystery in one school.
Oct 24, 2015 12:01 AM
May 2015
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
Is it just me who finds Chitanda annoying? I don't like people who pry and every time her eyes light up showing her curiosity, I'm just like... Leave it alone, if it's not your business -___-' *sigh* It's rare that I find main characters that I dislike. Oh well. I'm only watching Hyouka because of how Oreki-kun will solve the mysteries. Otherwise, I think I would have dropped this series :/
agree
Nov 7, 2015 12:19 AM

Feb 2010
God, I wonder why there are so much random garbage comments yet, I'd expect most of the superficial audience skipping out at this point already, and well they should, find something better for their time.

Chitanda is not you usual moeblob, as can be seen already. She is extremely cute, but at the same time - disturbing. If she wants something, she gets to you about it, that can be seen as annoying by weak personalities, but what she realy is - she's Interested, she has Passion. Not in a genki way. This is something that defines you as a human being instead of semblance of life Oreki tends to follow. He lacks passion for anything (that's stated clearly), but has a potential, and that what's Chitanda is for - they realy complement each other.

This show has some good writing, it's slow paced, but not too slow, it's paced so you can follow the story and visuals and savour it. It's not a slice of life too, the background for a story set in ordinary places, but there is a story, which is in front of us.

I'd say this show is exciting in it's own way, that I can enjoy - for one, because it's like a literature beautifuly animated. It reminds me of some stories for young people I've known - free of most "adult"gross depictions, yet not free of adult themes, intelligent and engaging, instead of relying on a survival instinct (sex & violence) to hold attention. I suspect there is nothing like that in USA for teens, but I find many similarities with Japanese writers and USSR in that those countries havehad so much filmedwritten specificaly for teens, while not adressing them like idiots, just like young inexperienced adults they are. We can see this show takes a mystery in historical context even - thats more points from me. It's another thing for being human - appreciating a context, without an ability to understand the context you are no better than an animal which lives day to day as a single day without perspective.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Nov 11, 2015 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
I like Oreki but Chitanda is so annoying... It seems that I'll have to struggle to watch the whole series.
Dec 4, 2015 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
Praise the Sun! Ep 3.

Plot: Continuing from last time, Chitanda had a confession: she wants Oreki to help her figure out something her uncle, a former member of the CC, had told her. It was apparently bad/strong enough that she blocked it from her memory. The search for the anthologies comes to an end when they discover them in a different room and have a Senpai "graciously" deliver them.

And from CC Anthology Hyouka Issue 2, they learn that Seikitani did something/had something happen that turned him into a legend. And in order to find out more, they need to find the still missing issue 1.

Character: Houtarou works his magic again to get someone else to do the work for him. His guesswork was good from just seeing those things on the wall and the walkie-talkie/machine in the room.

Chitanda's mystery is an interesting one. One does not usually go searching for memories they blocked and made them cry. But it is sweet that she wants something more to remember her Uncle before he's signed off as dead. It also seems like she is an heir to the Classics Club more than Oreki is.

As an aside: What kinda tobacco is that guy smoking? Buggin out like that.

And Satoshi is a Sun-bro. I can say I'm not shocked.

Animation/sound: The animation wasn't as spectacular in the second half but Chitanda's flashback makes up for it in adorableness. And the coffee was a swirling delight to just look at.

3/5. Adorable Chitanda brought this up to passable but that's about it.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jan 4, 2016 6:55 AM
Feb 13, 2016 12:16 PM

Aug 2008
Flipping out over tobacco, conveniently missing the volume that is needed to advance the plot and an ever increasing annoying main character in Chianda whose "mystery" is so damn boring that I don't get the excitement over it.

I'll give this ONE more episode but then I'm dropping it if there is no improvement, got better things to do with my time then to view something this dull.
Mar 12, 2016 1:05 PM
Jul 2014
I'm still not too sure about this Anime - if I should watch it. It has different vibe than Suzumiya Haruhi (same director) even some similarities (mystery). The two main protagonists are also very alike - calm, 'lazy' or to be politically fair - energy-conservative, LOL. I don't know, but I feel there's too much Oreki's monologues thinking about if she should move a muscle or not!?! That's simply boring and obstructs development of the story.
Second reason for now are comments here from some 'enthusiasts' who are much to eager about Eru's cuteness - makes me feel nothing intelligent cant come from this Anime. Gomen ne, but that's how yapping makes me feel, LOL
Mar 23, 2016 4:54 PM
Feb 2015
The art during the flashbacks with the uncle was awesome :D
May 11, 2016 3:51 AM

Jan 2016
Well damn, Ofcourse its missing... well that was an episode i could now take my eyes off :P so well done, still amazed by how colorful this anime is. and so elegant by what i can get this anime as a slowpase, and by that i feels so much more.really enjoyable even at episode 3

Also Kind of got that idea of that he was smokeing to when he got that nervous and smelled deodorant and even had the windows open + a fan xD
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 11, 2016 5:41 AM

Mar 2014
It is not likely for a low-profile student to suddenly get used to this homework .
Must be something about the shimmering eyes ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2016 12:29 PM

May 2010
Um, what's up with these characters getting obsessed over every single little thing? I know smoking teenager in a Japanese school is a big deal, but come on, he was acting as if he hid dismembered corpse in one of these boxes, lol wut.

Anyway, I seriously can't get over ending, animation is pure fanservice, but in a pure and lovely way, so adorable!
Aug 5, 2016 12:55 PM
Jan 2012
good episode. Finally i know about motivation of name anime Hyouka.
Satoshi this episode almost equal a mexican or astech.
RafaKojiroAug 5, 2016 1:11 PM
Aug 31, 2016 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
Admittedly, this episode was a little better than the first two, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop it here, unless the friend who suggested this anime to me can convince me to keep watching.
Nov 7, 2016 7:47 AM

Sep 2015
This is getting interesting now with the uncle mystery. Btw when did Ibara apply of the club? Prob my mind blanked out and I didn't notice or soemthing. Mc is so op lol. The Senpai so fear cause of his cigars being found luckily for him Chitanda's nose wasn't in good condition or it would've been found out sooner by her.
Dec 15, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2014
This show has a beautiful style. I like how they added the mystery flavor into the slice of life.
Jan 29, 2017 3:58 PM
Dec 2016
Gonzo-lewd said:
So far this series isn't really grabbing me with it's plot. I couldn't figure out what the mystery was supposed to be, but now that I know a little more it isn't that interesting. I'll still watch it regardless, just to see where it goes.
i feel the same way!
Feb 17, 2017 11:00 PM
May 2015
Very nice episode. The suspece comtinues. But just two things are kind of out of place in hyouka. First one is writing letter to your brother from abroad in this era, she should have video called or text him. Another one is oreki's house, it would have been much better if his house was Japanese style. But I think due to globalisation old fashioned houses are facing extinction. Not only in Japan, but in India and all over the world, which is kind of sad since I love old fashioned house and actually I am lucky enough to live in a semi old fashioned house in a metro city like Kolkata.
May 28, 2017 6:49 AM

Nov 2016
The mysteries are pretty much child play, but it's still fun to watch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 2, 2017 5:51 AM

Aug 2013
Houtarou wasted some energy when his heart was racing at the beginning.

It started to get a bit interesting now.

Aug 9, 2017 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
I hope it's more interesting than what we've seen so far. I mean I don't see any point in digging up a mystery about some guy 45 years ago that was only expelled. I'll keep watching to see if the mystery goes deeper
Sep 28, 2017 7:45 PM

Apr 2015
I feel like Chitanda's uncle is still alive, and they're going to wind up finding him/asking him personally about what happened 45 years ago.

This show is so innocent. I totally thought that kid was smoking weed or something, but it was just cigarettes. Gotta protect that family rep.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 29, 2018 10:57 AM

Apr 2013
Nice deducting skills Oreki. They totally lost me in that conversation in the end though. Either I was too dumb to get it or it was too boring to keep me interested.
Feb 3, 2019 4:25 AM

Mar 2018
Did Mayaka just casually join the club without anyone noticing? Well it was bound to happen at some time.
Feb 3, 2019 4:05 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The mystery on this episode really got me excited, was really cool.
Wasnt feeling much for ep2, whereas I loved ep1... and I really digged this one too!

Also just noticed, but that ED is pretty suggestive huh?!
KyoAni can be really naughty at times.
Feb 12, 2019 9:12 PM

Jun 2010
Ale1212 said:
I like Oreki but Chitanda is so annoying... It seems that I'll have to struggle to watch the whole series.

same here frankly, the series has potential but I have very low tolerance for moe.. hope I can ignore it.
Apr 1, 2019 10:04 AM

May 2015
Cigarettes are bad for your health!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 20, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
Enjoyable episode with that new mystery surrounding Eru's uncle.

For his reaction, I was expecting that senpai to be actually smoking weed... a bit overdramatic on his part but I guess you gotta live for that family reputation.

Art direction is still being awesome.
Jul 22, 2019 9:13 AM
Feb 2018
Shit! gotta drop this anime. I had enough & can't watch anymore of this shit. The Reason is simple, i hate Chitanda. Fuck! her annoying attitude combine with her annoying Voice gives the ultimate annoyance. I would've have enjoy the Show if Chitanda VA were different. It really sucks. This is the first time that I hate non-Tsundere character this much.
Aug 3, 2019 2:46 PM

Nov 2017
That diner scene is a treat to watch. The colours, Air on the G String, the lights, and the voice acting are everything. The heart-shaped pendulum is an awesome detail. So now Eru wants to know what's up with her uncle. I like how after Hotaru gets called strange Satoshi dressed as a sunflower enters the scene lol.

And I love posting gifs, so here's one of Eru!

Nov 27, 2019 7:05 AM

Jan 2015
The Pristina she said, she refers the capital of Kosovo right?
Jan 20, 2020 5:31 PM
Apr 2016
It was pretty interesting. Time to search for the first one...
Feb 29, 2020 11:16 AM

Jan 2016
I thought smoking weed was what he was trying to hide, but cigarettes are close enough ig. The show gets better every episode
May 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Mar 2020
The girl mc is easily one of the most annoying characters ever created. They're trying way too hard to make this bitch "cute"
not to mention how annoying her VA is
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 4, 2020 10:33 PM

Aug 2019
heh not bad Houtarou, that investigation scene was quite interesting. Honestly in my opinion the dude went wayyyy overboard in trying to hide what he was doing, i mean fucking sensors, the placement of the fan was already sketchy af and the deodorant just topped it all of for me to what he was doing.
Overall it was a good episode, but the cliffhangers are something else on god
Jun 20, 2020 12:34 AM

May 2015
This should be called Mystery: The Animation
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.