Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]
May 18, 2020 2:53 AM

Jul 2017
Sadly, visual direction can only carry a show so far. Hyouka's pure strength is its visuals and opening. Otherwise I'm not too particularly fond of the sound for the first episode either, especially Chitanda's VA. Her voice is a bit annoying when trying to pull off the soft, cute voice, annoying like her character ironically.

If the content and characters aren't good, no matter how beautifully it's animated, it can't be a good show for me. And Hyouka and Violet Evergarden are prime examples of that for me.
animejasMay 18, 2020 8:50 AM
May 18, 2020 7:39 AM
Oct 2019
animejas said:
Otherwise I'm not too particularly found of the sound for the first episode either, especially Chitanda's VA. Her voice is a bit annoying when trying to pull off the soft, cute voice, annoying like her character ironically.

Spot on. I could not stand her VA and I didn't particularly like her character, either.
May 22, 2020 12:16 AM
May 2020
Hwisjwkkzkalzkwkzkz
May 27, 2020 3:07 PM

Mar 2020
the niece of Oregairu
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 4, 2020 9:23 PM

Aug 2019
yeh that was an ok introduction to the anime. I guess this is as SOL as Kyoto animations gets back in 2012 with the Drama and Romance tags. Honestly not expecting anything out of the ordinary and probs just gonna be a chill af anime overall.
Jun 19, 2020 11:43 PM

May 2015
Well that was just ok. Maybe my expectations were too high
It's still to early to judge
Aug 25, 2020 11:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I thought it was a cliché school anime for teenagers but the anime is actually great and the mystery part interesting... I hope it will stay like this
Aug 28, 2020 7:33 PM

Jul 2020
It was an ok start. Nice introduction of the MC and other characters. I’m just wondering where the story will lead into. I’m not putting my hopes too high.
Jan 31, 2021 4:51 AM

Feb 2019
Interesting, and of course beautiful animation as expected of Kyoto Animation. That scene with the vines and flowers... just superb. Beautiful is the best word for it.

I can't say I understand everything they're saying, especially towards the end there I got confused on why exactly Oreki did what he did, but it's interesting nonetheless! Looking forward to watching this!
Mar 12, 2021 1:36 AM

Feb 2020
It's not bad and I surprisingly didn't get bored but is that really what they call a mystery ? The resolution of those three "mysteries" made me feel like I was watching a kid show, that's not what I expected.
Also, I think I'm really getting tired of seeing the same archetypes in school shows. The jaded mc, the fun and energetic best friend, the cute girl... I want to be "curious" about these characters but I already can predict how their development will turn out. And if the mystery tag that is my reason for having start this show actually refers to childish mysteries it is going to be a bit difficult to enjoy at some point. I hope it can live up to the good criticisms I heard, it has some potential.
Mar 14, 2021 10:48 PM
Mar 2021
animejas said:
Sadly, visual direction can only carry a show so far. Hyouka's pure strength is its visuals and opening. Otherwise I'm not too particularly fond of the sound for the first episode either, especially Chitanda's VA. Her voice is a bit annoying when trying to pull off the soft, cute voice, annoying like her character ironically.

If the content and characters aren't good, no matter how beautifully it's animated, it can't be a good show for me. And Hyouka and Violet Evergarden are prime examples of that for me.

this is so spot on. lack of proper climax and intriguing plot will just make audience lose interest. chitanda's VA voice sounded way too forced n unnatural as well n having to listen to do that a lot since shes a MC kinda irks me as well. to have this tagged as "mystery" I actually expected lots of plot twist n actual mysteries that will make me more curious about the school but it ended up being childush curiosity over trivial matters I wldnt care about irl.
Apr 11, 2021 9:41 AM

Jun 2020
3 characters introduced in this episode Oreki who's particularly lazy his friend satoshi and a girl that Oreki met inside the club Eru who's curious in her own ways and mostly every time (and the OP and ED is premiered in the first episode)

I love how these animations look like considering this anime is far too old almost a decade since this anime has been released and its animation is future proof
The way Oreki fantasizes how Eru interacts with him is so peculiar in a way yet so fascinating to see what she looks like in Oreki's eyes

So this is gonna be a back and forth communicating relationship for the two characters in this series kinda fits the whole personality each of them holds.
May 3, 2021 10:02 AM

Feb 2019
The animation and art style is really nice, it kind of reminds me of MAPPA's but much better.

As for the story it's meh. Didn't really draw me in or make me excited for more, but I've started it so I might as well finish it.

Also that girls eyes are annoying, they're the type of eyes you'd see on a really young girl, not someone in highschool.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
May 4, 2021 6:55 AM

Sep 2012
for some1 who doesn't care about that stuff and romance u sure are easy to fall under a grills power unable to say no to her :D

u already have feelings for her and don't even realize it :D

if u feel trapped like this, this heavily then know ur heart was just stolen

Sugram22May 4, 2021 6:59 AM
May 11, 2021 12:21 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It’s been so long but it’s good to finally be back for this ride!

I finally understand the “watashi wa kininarimasu” reference and why the “trees” were shown in that manner during that famous scene, thanks to an amazing person on YT. I always thought it was just for the aesthetics xD.

Seeing the Op and the gang, so good ~
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 12, 2021 8:11 AM
Sep 2020
I tried to watch this but I didn't find it interesting. What is the plot of this anime?
May 25, 2021 12:08 PM
Jun 2015
Really interesting first Episode! Even though I didn't get everything lol
I am looking forward to enjoying this series :D
That animation!!! Pure fire! Thats my first Kyoto Animation Anime and it already lived up to its name! Stunning and beautiful!
8,5/10 for the first Episode!
Jul 8, 2021 9:35 PM
Jun 2014
I did not expect the ED to be that horny. Also did not expect Chitanda to sound that much different to Ritsu. The show has potential though, just hope it doesn't fall into the typical cliches.
Jul 18, 2021 6:52 AM
Jan 2021
I finally started watching hyouka and wow wow wow just wow the animation is absolutely stunning and my god the voice actor of chitanda is absolutely phenomenal but it's not just about animation and voice acting the characters are really interesting as well the mc has a different perspective of school or his life which is cool i like that kind of stuff also the girl named chitanda i think is also really interesting because for some reason the mc can't refuse to him if chitanda have a request even though he will most likely refuse is what the friend of the mc said the mc still helps him.........

All and all great first episode I'll surely binged watch this series

Ohhh i forgot to mention the ed wtf was that how was that so hot and cute at same time okay i Changed my mind thid episode is not great at all it's a masterpiece episode
Angel_crush1Jul 18, 2021 8:31 AM
Aug 23, 2021 12:31 PM
Aug 2021
Please release the second season of Hyouka anime
Dec 22, 2021 2:46 AM
May 2020
a nigga who likes to conserve their energy. just like me fr fr
Jan 6, 2022 12:58 PM

Jul 2021
I didn't like the first episode, and that girl named Chitanda is a bit annoying.
I hope it improves as the episodes progress.
asdasdsadad
Mar 15, 2022 3:03 PM

Jan 2010
Two things stood out to me in this first episode. First, there's a large contrast in colors and animation between the bland, everyday life of Hotaro, and the fantastical, colorful, and highly animated moments when Eru gets fascinated in something. Second, there's certainly a lot of classical music used throughout the episode.

I started Hyouka a while back, but I got distracted by various other things so I don't remember much about this anime. I think it had some semblance of a mystery anime, but it's also a lot of high school hijinks. Not sure what to expect, but for what it is, the anime's audiovisuals are certainly noteworthy. I'm not entirely certain about the beginning though, as there wasn't much build up to Hotaro's and Eru's characters, the establishment of the mystery solving setting, nor the school's environment. Viewers were just thrown in all of a sudden, so it was a bit jarring.
Apr 23, 2022 8:30 PM

Aug 2018
"The Classical Literature Club."
Interesting, I was curious about this anime and I liked the first chapter. The animation is amazing. And the opening and ending are good.
May 30, 2022 12:13 AM

Feb 2021
Haven't cringed this hard in a while
Sep 25, 2022 11:59 AM

Aug 2021
interesting first episode... kyoto animation doesn't disappoint when it comes to the animation and the concept, while probably not amazing, does seem pretty good
Oct 2, 2022 5:13 AM
Feb 2020
It looks like a promising start for a romance anime, i havent seen any red flags yet. i hope the quality will remain
Oct 23, 2022 11:26 PM
Apr 2021
ygvgyvygtvyvvgvyghvbbbyu
Nov 4, 2022 11:42 AM

Apr 2021
Hyouka!!! It's been like 10 years since this anime finished airing. And I've always wanted to watch this!!! Anyways the plot set up is exactly what you would expect of a school SOL anime. KyoAni and their animation style's just awesome. I liked the OP too. Anyways..........so we have Oreki an energy conserving boy and Chitanda an energetic and curious girl. It's as they say "opposites attract". Anyways this is one relaxing and pretty chill show, I'll take my time watching it. So far so good, I can't wait to watch the rest of the season.
Dec 2, 2022 12:27 PM

Mar 2019
Well that's a strong first episode. Amazing animation and opening. The ending song is nice although I did not expect that video, lol. I already like Oreki a lot and Chitanda is interesting.

I wonder if we'll get a serious mystery later on or if it's just a slice of life anime.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 3, 2022 11:49 AM
Dec 2021
pretty cool.....
Mar 7, 2023 9:31 PM
Jun 2022
honestly it was perfect, kyoani made a masterpiece
Apr 30, 2023 10:39 AM

May 2020
Read the Novel, which was very enjoyable. Think of this episode as a very fast-paced, cramped episode with plenty of details being left out. But still it is able to bring out the vibe of the Novel, which is the most important. Nice visual and animation from KyoAni again.
Aug 15, 2023 7:53 PM
Mar 2019
Protagonista muito edgyzinho
Oct 20, 2023 10:46 PM

Dec 2022
Even at the request of his sister, I can't see an allegedly languid person joining an afterschool club. Either Oreki isn't as listless as he says he is, or he takes his aneki's requests very seriously.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 24, 2023 1:02 PM
Sep 2023
intresting premise, loved the character designs and love the main character so far
Dec 7, 2023 7:59 PM
Jul 2017
what was this even about huh
Dec 9, 2023 6:51 PM

Mar 2023
pretty animation ^^
Jan 2, 7:00 AM
Mar 2023
Slow pace development.
Jan 23, 11:22 AM

Jan 2008
I really enjoyed it, but wtf at the pervy end credits.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 18, 10:31 AM
Feb 2022
didn't understand the first episode but liked it
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
Feb 2023
just finished this, dropped before but my taste changed and brought me back here.......
To be honest I hate when the writer leaves us to decide the ending, this makes me feel lost and confused that I end up regretting watching those type of anime,(Charlotte, Darling in the franxx, Your name e.t.c)
Good plot
Good story and animation
Mid Character development

But it's still a 10/10,
but it took me 12 years to type this
:)
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]

More topics from this board

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 16, 2012

605 by sarahdqueener »»
Feb 29, 1:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.