Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 26, 2013 5:38 AM

Feb 2010
People do not think, act or even see things exactly as other people even in the same circumstances, so it is one thing to not understand someone's motivation in the show and admit it, and another to name it bad writing. One of the joys of reading\watching is that it allows to see and experience life differently than used to. But it takes a bit of open mind to do.

My rating of that show is based on recent watch, not on some memories. I rate only ep 1-27 though (didn't watch 3rd arc), and the number is high because this is a masterpiece and very solid show. There was not one epsode I wasn't entertained or thrilled. It delivered the whole way. And it also is memorable with it's mood, story, tech (jet planes FTW), characters. Speaking of which, Misa Hayase is one of my favourite characters ever. And it had realy epic ending. Additional points for not killing everyone, my favourites included.

Beatnik said:
Half the cast DIDNT DIE.

This for one is *ucking amazing!
Hikaru chose the right woman back in ep 27 yet, the rest was.. unnecessary.

Thess said:
I don't know how Misa put up with him. No wonder Roy always wins in popularity contests.

The problem is there was no other for Misa. I believed that Hikaru was going to match her nicely in some time, while in TV he was too young and clueless at first. And that process would be no less interesting (more, actualy) than reloading a chase for Minmay.

Eliito said:

And this is the difference

If it's so, I'm going to enjoy it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jun 17, 2013 9:56 AM

Apr 2011
A very nice ending to a very good mecha.
Jun 21, 2013 9:34 AM
May 2013
burbels said:

Hikaru chose the right woman back in ep 27 yet, the rest was.. unnecessary.

I thought they will ruin it but I'm glad I was wrong.

Also I'm glad that annoying Zentradi finally died.
Sep 12, 2013 1:23 AM

Jan 2012
I wasn't expecting this ending at all, it's a little bittersweet but I don't care, Misa x Hikaru is the final shot of the episode and that's what I'll remember
Oct 10, 2013 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
So the last part of the show was horrid but this final episode redeemed it for me: plot returns to consistency with the future colonization, feels are expressed but not in an overly dramatic way, there's a good battle (that moment when the Macross song kicked in), Minmay grants a last new song, and we get the female version of the ending theme.

For me it perfectly captured what I liked about this great series.
EratiKOct 10, 2013 4:06 PM
Apr 11, 2014 7:09 PM

Jan 2011
A good ending, and yes in the end this was a lot about love stories and a bit about combat. And Captain Global is a true visionary and starts the movement of humanity to the stars. All in all a very hopeful series and I'm glad I took the time to finally watch it.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 2, 2014 2:58 PM

Mar 2013
People hate Minmay and think she was the bitch? Ok lol, whatever. Hikaru didn't deserve Minmay - he was an ass to her more than once, when she was being heavily abused by her cousin (like, how did he miss that, Kaifun kissed her against her will in front of him on the Macross, and then in the next arc he literally embarrassed and assaulted her in a restaurant right in front of him) and he kept ignoring her when she needed him. He said he was in love with her and then he never really acted like it and he never even waited for her to speak for herself and to have an opinion whenever he took the time to talk about his feelings. This might be a shock to you Hikaru, but you're supposed to wait for a response after you say these things and you're supposed to actually care about her. In fact, he wasn't the only one - everyone treated Minmay like an object instead of a person.

The Hayase choice didn't even make sense. Why was Hayase even still hung up on him? She should've stopped listening to Claudia and moved the fuck on. Nothing about them was healthy - Hayase was a second choice after clinging on for years and she needs to get some fucking self respect. It's no good acting like a high and mighty bitch if you can't stand up for yourself and back it up. She was all front and no substance.
Aug 25, 2014 9:59 PM
Oct 2013
Idiot Hikaru still could not make a choise about being in the army or not by himself. In the end all he choosed was exploring the galaxy not Misa herself. I reeally want kick him in the face. :P
I hoped for Minmay's burning to cinder, still shattering her heart into peaces is also acceptable. :D
I watched series for the first time but it was really an impact. Beside "Akira" and Miyazaki's products i don't see much succesfull anime with enough mature content like Macross.
I think it was good enough. Let's stop acting stiff and smart in front of the screen because creating a scenario and ambiance is not easy job. Macross has a scenario which can compete with Star Wars, Mass Effect or Star Trek series. But i don't if it can compete with Gundam because i have never watched it.
so 10/10. It is a classic for its' genre and age.
BuzbeyAug 25, 2014 10:15 PM
Jan 27, 2015 5:46 AM

Sep 2013
If you liked MM you should know that it would be dangerous for her to be paired up with Hikaru, she became dangerously clingy and disillusioned, so as to become ridiculously selfish. It's for the best that she doesn't stay with him.

On the other hand, Hayase will be getting them babies.

----------------

OT: Obviously the art and inconsistency of this series appalled me as to feel like I might not be the right audience for this series. Somehow I maintained interest (and the art stopped bothering me) as it begun to get better... and now I've actually completed it and quite enjoyed it. Watching this of course is quite the experience, and anime has changed quite a bit. Lots of things that wouldn't happen in a modern series happened here (best girl?) and I suppose it is somewhat sad that a series like Macross simply isn't going to happen today.

Max is MVP.

~~~~MA-KU-ROSS! MA-KU-ROSS!~~~~
Jan 28, 2015 1:33 AM

Nov 2007
FrostbyteDOT said:
I suppose it is somewhat sad that a series like Macross simply isn't going to happen today.

Max is MVP.

~~~~MA-KU-ROSS! MA-KU-ROSS!~~~~

Whatchu talkin bout willis?
They're having open auditions across japan for women up to age 22 for the next lead vocalist roll for the upcomming Macross Δ (Delta) apparently it be set in 2067, which is 8 years after Frontier.
http://macross.jp/audition/
Auditions end in 2 days!
Mar 6, 2015 3:42 PM

Aug 2012
Meh, this last arc annoyed the hell out of me.

I should've stopped at episode 27... sigh.
Apr 26, 2015 10:31 PM

Jan 2014
This ep just about redeemed the arc for me. The Zentraedi plot and love triangle both felt like part of the same story again, both came to more than satisfactory conclusions.

When they went over to the bridge to launch the Macross for the first time in like 9 episodes, I was just about leaping with joy. To think, that an episode about leaving past glories behind and looking ahead managed to be at its most exciting when it started treading familiar ground. Can't tell if I'm doing this wrong.
May 26, 2015 5:08 PM

Jul 2013
Reusing that photo album motif from the ED was smart as hell. A good ending to an inconsistent show. I thought everyone died and was surprised because the show is usually ridiculously optimistic about tragedy, but Misa came out to hold hands symmetrically or whatever with Hikaru immediately after. Can't say I saw the inconclusive ending to the romance coming. I feel slightly ambivalent about that. The battle was beautiful and the romance scenes were cornily beautiful. That sudden snowfall... was a bit overboard. Cool that they finally figured out how to make those dramatic close-up shots where the characters are doing more than just flapping their mouths work. Some of the coolest explosions so far. Here's hoping the movie(s) skip over the boring parts and the stupid parts.
Jun 13, 2015 6:08 PM

Jan 2014
Overall I really loved this show, yea it was ridiculous at times but I couldn't help but love it.

I guess everyone is hating on Minmay but I personally really liked her. She didn't know Hikaru loved her until he confessed before the epic battle in ep 27, aftewards she naively followed her jackass cousin and after 2 years she realized her she wasn't happy and wanted to go back to Hikaru but by then it was too late.
She has flaws, let things get to her head, and made some bad decisions and imo that's what makes her a good character it makes her seem human and its the same with Misa.

In the end I'm glad Hikaru ended up with Misa it was the only option by the end.

Its kind of sad because I doubt we would get any more space opera's or mecha's like this nowadays but I at least have Frontier to look forward too, I just have to make it through Macross 7 which I'm not looking forward too.
Jul 24, 2015 9:24 AM

Jan 2008
I like how it ended, and I'm glad Hikaru got with Misa. That was a bumpy ride, and boy does Misa deserve better.

But I'm glad he finally let go of Minmay. I like her, but holy shit she was so damn annoying at some point.

Other than that, I'm happy most of the characters I like still live, and hope Kaifun died in a ditch somewhere.
Aug 8, 2015 4:46 PM
Aug 2011
Tedious arc but seeing Minmay walk away was incredibly satisfying to me.
Epsiode 27 was definitely the peak of the series.
Aug 20, 2015 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
HIKARU & MISA FOREVER

even though he ended up with the RIGHT girl, I DIDN'T GET THE ENDING I WANTED

EP27 WAS ALREADY GREAT
Y DUS DAT CHINESE FUK ALWAYS GET IN THE WAY

SHEEEEEEEIT

this was a VVVEEEEEEEERRRRRYYYYY BAAAAAAAD choice of a last episode

please tell me there's more Macross wherein he truly ends up in a perfect spot with Misa

guidodi said:
Minmay having a relationship with his cousin

holy shit dude you really have a messed up chromosome somewhere
She's fucking Chinese you dolt
Well no one's expecting a white bread like you to know CULTURE
Oct 22, 2015 4:29 AM

Aug 2013
The show should have ended at episode 27. The biggest problem with the last 9 episodes was the love triangle. Hikaru, Misa and Minmay all regressed as characters. I thought Hikaru and Misa would be together after the 2 year gap. It felt like the show producers were forced to stretch this love triangle arc out.

7/10 after 27 episodes
6/10 overall

Now on to the next Macross show.
Oct 28, 2015 10:58 PM

May 2012
as much as the last few episode irked me, i could not possibly be more satisfied with this ending, overall a fantastic series, great characterization, a story that progresses in a pretty logical manner, characters that act human for the most part
Dec 1, 2015 5:25 PM
Nov 2015
Yep, I love this series and am goi to miss it. It's the characters and he lovely lightness of touch in the background details and side characters that took this from great to classic. I understand why it spawned a series of sequels. I'll follow me soon, but first onto the original Gundam, which I've never seen.
Dec 5, 2015 7:54 PM
Dec 2014
Not much of a romance guy, I especially find love triangles annoying as FUCK. But this show had other great things so it wasn't all bad.

I really liked the lasts arc. Blowing up stuff is easy, rebuilding is hard (Syria for instance will take many decades to recover if that war ever ends) and this show didn't just end after the final battle. Very refreshing.

I'll give it a 9/10 being a classic and all.
Jan 15, 2016 8:24 PM

Oct 2014
waste my time watch this crap...
the MC typical shit shounen generic lame..
1/10
Saber
Jan 27, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2014
This was truly something special.
A masterpiece of a show. 10/10
And my OTP ftw! <3
Feb 14, 2016 8:26 PM

Jan 2013
OMG best girl won! The ending make up for the regression of the main characters. Although, I would have rated the anime higher if it just ended at 27.
Overall, the whole arc wasn't so completely pointless. We get some information about the lore of Macross and minmay did get some nice character development.

Really enjoyed the anime!
Jul 11, 2016 7:20 AM

Apr 2014
Minmay is young... Never REALLY see much of the world... Kinda know why she is like how all of you described.

Ichijou is also young and seems to like girls on his age so I kinda understand why he could not see Misa feelings... I would probably be the same..

Misa Is just not cute when all she talks military like... But she is a very mature women with Experiences... Except she can't come out straight and say I love you... Concerning too much.

Minmay did the right choice by seeing the world.
Misa is just happy to be with Hikaru.
And Hikaru... Will do his best for Misa I guess... Geez. You guys too so long ... just make babies already.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Aug 19, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2013
Damn it Hayase. Don't say that. You deserve better than that scumbag.

I like to pretend that this last arc never happened.

Anyways this is kinda oddball of a show. In some regards Macross is downright awful but it never did really end up being off putting until during the last arc. I guess it has the right level of campiness and the genuinely good moment's make up for a lot.

The setting is unique too. I think the show deserves the "classic certificate".

Though i have to say that i do prefer the movie version over this. It's overall a more solid product and it's probably the only movie version that manages to condense a whole series well.
Sep 11, 2016 9:26 PM

Sep 2012
Thess said:
If I recall past interviews, TV series Hikaru didn't pick Misa because he loved her the most, but because he realized he and Minmay had an incompatible way of life and Minmay "belonged to everyone" (since you know, she's the actual one who transcends and becomes a legend). He loved both about equally. He had a future with Misa.

This turns out the best for Minmay whose real love is her songs, so that was a proof of love for Hikaru to point it out. She was going through a difficult period and she was emotionally vulnerable (after all she's still a teenager) and he took advantage of this. This helped her grow up and become the beloved icon of the franchise.

I don't know how Misa put up with him. No wonder Roy always wins in popularity contests.

Anyway, the three of them are close friends. They had a nice scene together in Flash Back 2012 that features a full grow up Minmay.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

While your analysis might somewhat expiate certain incongruities that this series suffers from, ultimately they do not alter the results that are visually evident.

Hikaru never truly shows romantic affection toward Misa, as far as it goes. Not even sexual attraction. All they do is forcibly kiss twice and to make it worse: with a reluctant Hikaru in both occasions (he goes as far as to apologize to Minmay in his mind as if he were cheating on her). In addition, Ichijo is actually oblivious concerning Hayase's feelings for him until she confesses in the last episode (and let's be honest here for a moment, for that was the poor woman's last resort at the sight of Hikaru's indifference). On the other hand, this guy drools over Minmay's humanity throughout the entirety of the show (call it pure unrequited love or idealization if you want) even after 2 years without seeing each other, despite of being, literally speaking, rejected. Heck, I do not recall Hikaru ever saying ''I love you'' to Hayase. That being said, how can we state that he loved both women 'equally'?

To clarify, I'm talking about what I saw purely on the first incarnation of Macross as it was originally conceived without basing my observations on interviews (I have yet to see these interviews though, can someone send a link to them?) and subsequent retcons or alternative variations of the plot that probably wanted to reconcile situations as well as to improve characterization.

--------------------------------------------------------

At the end, I couldn't really comprehend the characters' emotions at all, which is unfortunate since that's the feature that the creators probably intended to exploit the most. They're quite ambiguous and incoherent, especially Hikaru's. Hell, he was practically bordering the 'player' territory by wanting to comply with these two girls simultaneously: ''Alright, I'm gonna cancel my date with Misa for Minmay convinced me to go and see her instead. I'll call Misa. Oh? Misa is not home? Never mind, I'll go see Minmay. Okay, done with Minmay. I'm gonna get back to Hayase as fast as I can just in case now, so I hope she is still stupidly waiting for me to arrive! Oh, and I shall use this scarf I just got from Minmay to wrap Hayase's body in case she is cold!''

At first, I could more or less relate to him, up to the part where his feeling weren't corresponded in episode 27. From that point onward, however, the depiction of the cast's sentimentalism in general was a utter mess. It's as if the directors weren't decided on what to do and they simply went with cheap and amateurish improvisation. I mean: Minmay made clear she doesn't love/like Hikaru, only as a friend, yet 2 minutes later, they are embraced in a passionate 'farewell' kiss? Okay, I get that. No wonder Hikaru started obsessing with this chick. Dunno, but I cannot stand this sort of hysterical bullshit. Misa? Well, I don't remember the part where she actually started caring for Hikaru as a woman, as the most I recall is her thinking about Kaifun due of his resemblance with her deceased first love, Riber, for a couple of episodes. Basically, she started loving Hikaru out of the blue. Seriously. And I could go on ad infinitum...

As for this Minmay vs. Misa debate? I prefer Minmay, frankly. I don't dislike Misa, though. It's just that she's there as a consolation prize of some sorts. Also, in my opinion, the only thing she has in common with Hikaru is that both work for the military. Truth is, I never considered her the 'heroine', so to say, and that's probably the reason that I could not accept her as Hikaru's love interest. At the end of the day, it was almost a coincidence (an asspull) that she ended up with him after such a flimsy emotional struggle from her part that wasn't remotely noted by the protagonist. I also think that the main reason for this religious hate towards Minmay is because she became famous and did not return Hikaru's feelings at the time (Ignoring the fact that she later did return his feelings, and consequently, ignoring the possibility of a person's change of heart, a very common human feature if I may add), while the ''humble pilot'', fought for mankind's sake. Nothing more, nothing less. Other than that, she's an average character, not different from that female red-haired operative, Shammy, from the SDF-1. Most of these haters, apparently, also ignore Hikaru's sudden bipolar attitude (maybe indecisiveness?) toward both females, among other inconsistent shit which is multiple times more annoying than Minmay (for example, choosing to live for days with Minmay in his house and, all of a sudden, leaving her all alone in the middle of an attack in the city). Yeah, gotta admit it was a crude slap in the face for those who were rooting for Minmay and Hikaru from the beginning. It was expected though, as that 2 years timeskip did nothing but further spit on the series' feeble logic. But whatever, let's just hate Minmay because... Well, who knows? It just seems the right thing to do. No to mention she is an easy target for being infantile most of the show. Was Hikaru's and Minmay's relationship complicated to begin with? For the most part, yes, but not mathematically impossible. Besides, personally, I enjoyed watching as their drama developed. When things are always so easy, life kinda loses its purpose, doesn't it?

Anyhow, enough rant! I got this huge 'melancholic' vibe and overall this show is a 7 or 8 (ignoring its horrible animation in certain episodes), but has a lot of disjointed stuff which didn't help in terms of verisimilitude.
ZyurangerSep 16, 2016 5:20 AM
Sep 24, 2016 3:52 PM

Jul 2012
Finally decided to watch the original Macross and just finished it. I have mixed feelings about it, after episode 27 it dragged a bit on and the story mainly focused on the love problems while lacking action and actual story progression. The love triangle started to kick in but certain events after episode 27 felt like prior events were erased from history. Kaifun was obviously an idiot who had to die and not just leave the scene. I did like the history of Focker. In the end it seems like he ends with Misa, however I don't think this is clear at all because if Minmay appears again we get the drama repeated. Minmay and Misa are both not suited for him at all.

Overall I give this show a 7.5/10 and round it up to 8 because only natural numbers are allowed.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Oct 20, 2016 3:14 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Misa and Hikaru together, finally!!!!!

The series have two parts, the first one are the first 27 episodes, the Macross and the Galactic War, and the second, the las 12 episodes, where can watch a beautiful romance history!!!

In general was a great series...9/10.

I want more Macross!!!!
Nov 21, 2016 10:23 PM
Apr 2014
This episode makes up for most of the third arc.

Hikaru finally made a good decision by sticking with Misa. Quamzin finally got what he deserved. A decent ending to the series. Making culture has to be one of the funniest lines of ever heard.
Jan 7, 2017 9:36 PM
Jun 2013
"You're not alone, you have your songs" LMAOOOO WTF

Crazy how he's "with" Hayase at the end, but he's never once admitted any kind of feelings for her.

I had a long ass rant I was gonna due for this anime, but fuck it. It was bad, very bad. I don't really need to cut into it. I'm just glad it's over. I have no idea why this is considered "classic".
Jul 11, 2017 2:36 PM

Sep 2012
Why on (ruined) Earth weren't they rattled by the devastation that just occurred? Kamjin 9/11'd the Macross, tons of people died, and the three of them just stood there like everything was fine while they sorted out their love triangle. Hell, in just the last episode we saw Hikaru immediately rush to save civilians when he saw bombs go off in the city, and now he's content to just stand there lovestruck?

This was a fandangous finale, though. They knew how to build tension with the Macross launching at the end and the song coming in. That was right up there with Gurren Lagann's final episode! The whole "War is Hell" thing was illustrated very nicely with the fiery background as we had a three way love confrontation earlier in the episode (That one made more sense for the characters).

What a fun ride, I can't wait to write my review and then more detailed blog rant xD
Aug 17, 2017 2:57 PM

Dec 2015
Finally, the (bad?) love soap and the scifi drama come together again ! Looks like this "epilogue" part should really have been (around) three times shorter.

5/5 "We'll make some culture afterward." Those culture jokes. XD

Vhailor said:
The epilogue arc shouldn't have existed in the first place, or at least, shouldn't have been this long.

No need to correct yourself, your first assumption is actually right! Just check the makers interviews.

An original mix of scifi drama and romantic soap who was able to swing between being light or serious efficiently. The series wandered a lot on several occasions and the drawings (or even animation) had severe lows far more numerous than the beautiful highs probably delivered by the charadesigner made chief animator. I'm of course comparing it to its time.

The love triangle aspect was overall fine but some things sounded odd, like Claudia being hell bent on patching her friend with the young pilot like she was talking on behalf of the creators. Its conclusion's logic is symptomatic of how the makers cornered themselves with Minmei. Also, I don't think the japanese audience back then believed Minmei was the heroin (and not the third wheel she was) for nothing, they failed to establish rapidly Hayase as the one.
The approach of the idol system was pretty good even if it wasn't more focused on: Minmei is a "normal/common girl" who will make a break out thanks to her beauty first then be made a singer rapidly becoming a phenomenon. It meshed strangely well with this kind of Lili Marlene war story the show seemed to go for: a little restaurant girl in wartime who sings for the soldiers (among others) then get to appear in a movie etc. Too bad the soldier love wasn't fully used.

A side problem would be the obvious plot elements abandoned over the course of the show: the famous gravity well/black hole found inside the Macross was never exploited (thank God, we escaped the perverted underwears lover and dumb commandant defecting to the Zentradi and got Global instead), or the looming menace of the Supervision Army who was clearly thought as a major actor but ended up as an absent plot device triggering the whole story (that's fine, though) and probably some others.

Last word: I'm glad Kawamori wasn't free to do whatever he wanted or this would have been some idiotic mess more often than not rather than this memorable series that has nonetheless its share of negative points.

Score: 7.5/10 rounded up to an undeserved 8 only because 7 wouldn't sound like a recommended show (and because Zeta Gundam had been rounded up to 7).

@CodeBlazeFate "Congratulations"? This was an easy watch even if not a pleasing sight most of the time. Wait for my completion of Geass to applause.
Based on your review system and the marks you delivered, your Robotech score seems to be under influence.

@Smoledman Whenn did you see those characters die? o_o

July 14, 201?
@ezaya What about "Ai oboete imasu-ka" ?

July 16, 2020
@St0rmblade I was having belly-ache because of La Graine et le Mulet's belly scene but it wasn't enough... your PS killed me for good. XD
At first, the idol system was to be a greater part of the story. You can find some left overs in an amateur translation pdf of a few stories. I invite you to check My Fair Minmei. ^^
Rei_IIIJul 15, 2020 3:42 PM
Oct 21, 2017 4:30 PM

Nov 2016
Epic final, the moment when the opening kicked in was lit, even tho it wasn't really for my looking at the beginning, but it grew on me.

Overall very good show,had a blast watching it and was never bored. It got a nice mix of action,comedy,romance and drama. Conclusion was also satisfying.

Like @Rei366 mentioned,the culture gags were awesome too.

Solid 8/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2017 8:18 AM

Apr 2014
Shit, I didn't expect him to choose Misa.. and thank God.

This was a rocky, but enjoyable ride. I kind of miss this already.
Nov 27, 2017 1:25 AM

Feb 2014
Glad Global Kanchou showed up and slapped some reality into Misa, and through her, into the other two idiots. The entire fucking surface of the planet has pretty much been sterilized, humanity is at the brink of extinction, and they're still regularly being attacked by the remnant alien forces, but all these idiots can think about is their stupid little agsty love triangle.

Overall, this show was a generous 6/10 for me. The only reason I'm not giving it a 4 is because of the pre-epilogue part. While even the "main series" had its share of some godawful writing and annoying characters, at least it had a campy charm to it that kept me entertained. The epilogue arc on the other hand was a complete travesty that shouldn't have existed in the first place, or at least, shouldn't have been this long.
Dec 2, 2017 3:48 PM

May 2017
At least in the Robotech version "To the Stars" Macek tries to explain how Lisa survives - somehow Claudia pushed her into the escape capsule at the last moment.

In Macross - Misa is magically alive and no explanations! Global dead, Claudia dead, Bridge bunnies dead, who cares!

No matter what the last battle is retarded.
Dec 10, 2017 10:04 AM

Mar 2012
If this had ended at episode 27 I could see why it's considered a classic. A love story based on unrequited love, amazing combat and battles that even rival or are better than the Gundam franchise of the 80s...lots of good stuff there.

But man, did they change writers, directors or something after that? It became a completely different show altogether. I didn't like Minmay at all, but if they were going to go with Misa anyway, it would have been so much better to have ended it at 27...or included a short epilogue of them in a 28th episode, especially since the last like 5 eps had him completely falling over for Minmay anyway, so it didn't even make sense for his character to suddenly go, oh shit...I actually like Misa in the final ep.

Then we have some characters though beyond the character resets after ep 27, one person stayed in character the whole damn show although not in a good way. Kaifun might have been the most disappointing character in this show. They bring him up as this pacifist who hates war and wants peaceful solutions to things. But when he finally has a chance to shine as a character when he and Minmay are asked by the Zentraedi to attend the negotiation phase, he uses it to bash the military and say we (him and Minmay) want no part in their plans? Like what the hell? His character was only used as a means to confuse Hikaru's feelings, which is a real shame considering the potential there.

Compared with the rest, this last fight was just a drop in the bucket to even really complain about it.

It's a classic all right, a classic example of when great things turn bad.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 20, 2018 12:25 PM

Sep 2013
Huh... What a spot to end on.

I'm glad Minmay and Misa left on good terms, but Misa and Hikaru not officially becoming a thing by the end was surprising. Considering the importance of romantic relationships in Macross, it just felt weird to have not show them ending up together, but instead just showing Minmay leaving on her own, and a little before that having a scene that reiterates that the worlds Hikaru and Minmay live in are too different to really be compatible.
I'm also surprised no one important (from the protagonist side) died. The way Lap'Lamiz and Kamujin went out was kinda sweet though. And was their death a possible Gundam reference.....?

7/10 for me. Would've been an 8/10 had this last arc been cut out and either completely discarded or made into a movie or OVA
Aug 16, 2018 9:21 PM
Jul 2011
For the second time I`m watching Macross and even now I can`t help but feel sorry for Minmei... but I`m glad that he choose Misa!
Great series
Sep 5, 2018 11:07 AM

Aug 2015
Man overall I love this series itself and glad that I chose it to be my entry point to the Macross Franchise. From Minmay's song, some epic space action scenes, some ridiculous plotlines, old school artstyle, and some of the themes of the show that it tackled on. Even though I enjoyed the heck out of this show, I still think that episode 27 would had been the better ending for me but oh well.

My only gripes for this series that I can think of are the ff:
1. Inconsistent animation production which are obviously evident
2. Love triangle dilemma like fuck you Hikaru those girls deserve better
3. Kaifun, yeah fuck that guy

Anyway I'm excited to see what the DYRL movie will offer
Oct 25, 2018 11:55 PM

Jan 2010
I think a good stopping point for the series would have been right before the time skip. After the time skip, there was a lot of interesting talks regarding the nature of humans and Zentraedi, as well as the relationship between culture and war, but in exchange, the love polygon was driven into the ground. It just never felt like it was properly resolved. Instead, the war persisted with no conclusive winner. Everyone lost due to mutual destruction, and the main trio were left off really bitterly. Hayase is off to the stars to try and colonize other planets, Minmay is off to revive her singing career, and I'm not convinced that Hikaru really made a choice between the two. The Earth is ripped a new one again, the Zentraedi seem beyond saving, the Macross is essentially destroyed now, and there's still a looming threat of more aliens arriving to finish off the human race.

It feels like there's supposed to be another few episodes to settle things, but I dunno. These last few episodes left me exhausted, so perhaps it was a better decision to just leave things as is, rather than dragging the series on longer than it can sustain itself.
Nov 17, 2018 9:17 PM

Mar 2014
At first sight, the anime would be just fine if it ended in the episode 27 without the need to hurt my poor shipping heart during those nine slow episodes about Hikaru still be in love with Minmay, but after a good thought I believe that was nessesary a epilogue arc to finish the love triangle part of the series (Hikaru and Minmay never got a good chance to be together when Minmay became famous so it would be little cheating that Hikaru picked Misa just because he never got the chance to be with Minmay by their jobs), the problem is that the last arc is not well made. I believe that they wasted time during that last arc with 8 episodes with a slow plot & alot HikaruxMinmay moments and a 9th episode super rushed with just a couple of seconds of HikaruxMisa (9 episodes is almost 3/4 epiosdes well made common seasonal anime so it would be better made).

but hey!! my shipping won right?.... well the damn Hikaru didn't said a word about deciding which girl picks >:v (Dissapointing for me because I watched first the movie where Hikaru decided in the right moment).

I love all the odyssey of the first 27 episodes, from Pluto to Earth, full of action and emotion, pretty epic and I really liked the latin spanish dub of the Robotech edition for those days where you don't want to read subs, so it would be a 10 this anime but that last arc just let me a bad taste on my heart so I'm gonna be generous to leave a 8 or at least 7.

EDIT: You know what, all the last arc's issues about the Zentraedi rebels would be easly solved by just letting them to do S-P-O-R-T-S. Not all culture stuff is just music.
JoycdonnellJan 6, 2019 8:28 PM
Feb 20, 2019 6:04 PM

Apr 2009
I thought that Macross Frontier is the best, but I was wrong.

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2019 10:09 PM

Sep 2010
I love when openings play during a series finale of a final fight I get pumped up so much damn.

8/10 for episode up until 27 and after that its more like a 4/10 they stretched the second arc out way too long.

I give this series a 6/10 it should've ended at episode 27 honestly.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 31, 2019 5:20 PM

Aug 2008
For a charming show like this a wholesome ending like this is all I asked for.
Jun 11, 2019 1:43 PM

Jul 2008
gembelela said:
waste my time watch this crap...
the MC typical shit shounen generic lame..
1/10

Mean Score: 2.23

Who cares about the opinion of someone who doesn't enjoy anime?

9/10 and possibly my favorite anime up until the date it was made. Haven't gone deep into Tomorrow's Joe and Rose of Versailles yet which are the 2 who might take the crown away.
Aug 2, 2019 6:04 PM

Feb 2015
Enjoyable show, some kinda weird choices in the romance plots, and the ending really loses steam. Gotta check out the movie now.
Aug 7, 2019 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the show overall but damn that last arc was kinda bad and felt so unnecessary, it would have been much better if it ended on episode 27.
removed-userAug 16, 2019 9:03 AM
Sep 4, 2019 6:06 PM
Nov 2013
Deduleadaa said:
I liked the show overall but damn that last arc was kinda bad and felt so unnecessary, it would have been much better if it ended on episode 27.

Thought the same thing. Going from an epic battle with massive plot significance while Minmay sings her iconic songs in the background with amazing animation, to the rest of the episodes' biggest "highlight" being Misa feeling sorry for herself 24/7 over Hikaru occasionally interacting with Minmay, followed by a healthy helping of melodrama and a rushed anti-climactic final battle. No showdown between Hikaru and Kamujin, basically no song from Minmay, nothing. Just Misa self-pitying borderline non-stop, so nothing new really.

If episode 27 wasn't so amazing, I'd almost regret having given the series a chance.
Fashion_MageSep 4, 2019 6:13 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by Baskarite »»
Apr 30, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 22 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 5, 2009

35 by Baskarite »»
Apr 26, 8:05 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 4 Discussion

kiririnshi - Sep 15, 2009

36 by giannis85 »»
Mar 6, 10:58 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 24 Discussion

JuicyBuddha - Jan 8, 2010

31 by YingZhe »»
Sep 30, 2023 8:01 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 35 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

41 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.