Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2010 1:20 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't really understand the role of Shizue with the overall plot.The doctor is involved with a lot of the characters and it seems that her injections have an odd effect.Also,I wonder what's Manaka's story.She looks kind of grown-up for a 5 years old.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jan 20, 2011 5:46 AM
Jun 2008
Something wrong with the female doctor.She said the almost same thing back a few episode ago ~~~ -.- .What happen to da town!!!

oh dear,they keep on jumping from past to present really makes me confuse .
this arc is connected to the "embryo erosion" vol.I guess more answer will be found there if I read it ^^
Jul 2, 2011 8:02 AM

Mar 2008
I liked this episode a lot. The story telling method of this series seems to be growing on me. :)

However, I can't really understand the significance of this episode in the series.
Jul 14, 2011 11:39 AM

Dec 2009
Very nice episode!
Arcanus said:
I liked this episode a lot. The story telling method of this series seems to be growing on me. :)

However, I can't really understand the significance of this episode in the series.

I agree completely...
Sep 5, 2012 6:35 PM

Nov 2009
The way the show presents itself was confusing at first, but now i'm used to it. I don't see the significance either but it will probably make sense later on.
Jan 11, 2013 9:48 PM

Jun 2008
This episode was the weakest of the series so far I thought. It wasn't bad, just okay. I'm sure we'll get more of an idea of Shizue's significance, or at least the significance pf this episode in the coming episodes.
Aug 20, 2013 9:56 AM

Aug 2012
That ending makes any episode so much better.
Dec 28, 2013 4:42 PM

Aug 2013
Aww come on, this episode was all over the place, are they even trying anymore or is it pretentious bullshit every episode now!
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
May 1, 2014 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
This episode seem to deal with a similar issue as the first episode... Interesting...
Jun 22, 2014 12:56 AM
Jun 2013
I enjoyed this tale and the happy yet sad ending it gave.For some reason I feel like this is one of my favorite episodes.It seems though the only thing really overall plot realted was more time with the dr and pregnant lady.Also that person who gets killed by boogiepop seems to be the dr.
souledge94Jun 22, 2014 1:06 AM
Jul 1, 2014 12:26 AM

Jul 2008
That doctor again, she's real bad news. Must have something to do with the drug that the fake cop mentioned.
Dec 30, 2014 3:11 AM

Apr 2009
Shizue~ :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2015 2:35 PM

Oct 2010
This is more confusing than Rahxephon, or maybe I am dumb.
Dec 30, 2015 4:51 AM

May 2011
This episode is a heavy contrast to the previous one...that I really don't know what to say. Probably because it is directed in a new approach unlike previous ones (which flashes across two juxtaposing scenarios again and again, take for instance the previous episode's policeman scene versus Suema+Touka scene; and episode 2's Jonouchi feasting on spiders scenes versus Nagi's attempt to source out Manticore scenes), which flashes back and flashes forward multiple times. As such, I guess the temporal judgement of viewers gets clouded...but even fixing them in order still kind of makes this episode more of a standalone episode talking about a mother-daughter relationship that was compromised as a result of the Manticore's killing spree. Oh and another conjecture (less than episode 5, but well): the link with this and the previous episode is that the father is most likely Morita-san, that 360-degree head twisting policeman. Correct me if I am wrong.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Mar 24, 2017 10:32 AM

May 2012
Pacing is slowing a bit down here, but well still interesting!
Jun 12, 2017 12:51 PM
Nov 2015
Shizue is the best char so far (well, best, like in most likeable)
Why n how did she die?
Jun 12, 2017 12:54 PM
Nov 2015
grayrebornnhy said:
This episode is a heavy contrast to the previous one...that I really don't know what to say. Probably because it is directed in a new approach unlike previous ones (which flashes across two juxtaposing scenarios again and again, take for instance the previous episode's policeman scene versus Suema+Touka scene; and episode 2's Jonouchi feasting on spiders scenes versus Nagi's attempt to source out Manticore scenes), which flashes back and flashes forward multiple times. As such, I guess the temporal judgement of viewers gets clouded...but even fixing them in order still kind of makes this episode more of a standalone episode talking about a mother-daughter relationship that was compromised as a result of the Manticore's killing spree. Oh and another conjecture (less than episode 5, but well): the link with this and the previous episode is that the father is most likely Morita-san, that 360-degree head twisting policeman. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh my god you got great perception!!
I'll have to rewatch to make sure if the father is the possessed policeman or not? Cuz the timeline and names kinda mixed up.
Jun 12, 2017 12:55 PM
Nov 2015
Catalano said:
This is more confusing than Rahxephon, or maybe I am dumb.

nope, not as Rahxephon.
Read the novel first, then it will be very easy to understand, at least in recognizing the characters and understanding the setting
Apr 22, 2018 5:49 PM

Feb 2013
Butterfly girl's mom.
And Panuru? maybe? not sure... Keeping track of the names is HARD to do.
Mar 7, 2019 11:13 PM

Dec 2015
Weird to get an épisode out of the background story after one focused on telling us about the slim thread tying everything. But it's reassuring (I feared that it would center on the background problem) and it was about a nice theme (even though it was handled very conveniently)

5/5

Urufuzu_rein said:
The doctor is involved with a lot of the characters and it seems that her injections have an odd effect.

Obviously, it couldn't be without effect, now that we know what she is doing and what the injections are.
Apr 15, 2021 5:41 PM

Aug 2017
The doctor is evil, looks like she was killed.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 7, 2021 8:00 PM

Jun 2010
This episode doesn't seem to have much to do with anything else and so becomes a short film about a widow whose daughter dies (she could have died in an accident rather than being murderered and that would even ironically tie into the mother's insurance job). Episode 4 was somewhat similar but this was much better done than that.
Aug 11, 2022 3:50 AM

Jun 2020
That was another part of this masterpiece, loved the violence and horror. The sound design is fucking amazing as usual. I can't help but notice how well done these characters are. They seem very simple, yet real. Great.

Dec 11, 2022 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
Some questions I had were answered in this episode. Namely the girl with the luminescent butterflies. Sad ending but has a more positive resolve than the other episodes.
Aug 20, 2023 4:19 PM

Sep 2017
What was this shitty episode? It had literally no story progression or make sense at all
خ
Apr 10, 2:12 AM
Sep 2017
I honestly don’t know how you could watch this series without having read the light novels. Like I don’t want to sound elitist or anything, but this series heavily relies on you already knowing the events of the books (which probably should have been made more clear) because otherwise you’re trying to retroactively piece together the plot of multiple novels that was already established and the show doesn’t feel the need to explain step by step.

This episode in particular focused on the surrounding aftermath of Vol 6 and I found it gave the events more weight that the light novel didn’t have time flesh out. The ending in particular got me pretty emotional so I’d say it was a solid episode overall.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 25, 2009

29 by Pinoffin »»
Jan 12, 2:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.