Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 18, 12:10 AM

Nov 2019
What is the leading decision that makes or breaks your opinion on an anime?

For me personally it would have to be long dialogues/monologues. Especially if the character is just yapping in between fight scenes about their life stories or their opponents strength, it ruins the "show don't tell" narrative.

Another one would be childish and immature main characters who make it their life's goal to scream and shout to get hyped up(MHA/Black Clover)
May 18, 12:35 AM
Mar 2021
Idk what it is, but sometimes I just want to skip few seconds. Maybe when random NPC's starts to yap unusefull stuff.

May 18, 12:37 AM

Mar 2013
It depends on the premise of the series and what it is going for. Most anime series that breaks or makes for me is often a combination of a few factors, though they generally related to the main characters, and how the world relates to them.

What I dislike in most media are self-righteous characters whose morality or moral actions are just bullshit, yet the narratives wants us to agree with them. I think Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero is an example of this in anime. On the other hand, I am okay or like characters like Tanjiro or even Deku, who at at the very least are genuine in their moral convictions, or alternatively Kazuma, who often acts as if he did not have any. I just cannot stand a holier-than-thou attitude, where being right is perceived as better than actually emoting compassion and giving a damn.

I also tend to dislike characters who are not driven, and again this depends on the series. Overlord was boring to me because Ainz had no drive or relatable motivation, his desire to learn more about the world he resides in seemingly more out of boredom than anything else. He is supposed to be "evil", but he often feels not particularly malicious, ruthless, or driven, and any acts of cruelty he does is not so much an extension of his personality as it seems to be the narrative trying to convince us that Ainz is the titular "Overlord". Every other character, especially the guardians (Like Demiurge or Shalltear), are infinitely more interesting than Ainz is. Same issue I had with Classroom of the Elite.

For comparison, even Redo of a Healer had a slightly more compelling (Only slightly) character than Ainz. Or Mash Burndead, who was not so stoic and unserious about becoming a Divine Visionary that it dragged down everyone with him.
May 18, 12:43 AM

Feb 2020
Depends on the show, but annoying characters are usually the main reason.
May 18, 12:57 AM

May 2015
The plot that tries too hard to be interesting but ends up either boring, or too messy.

Very poor animation with no redeeming qualities otherwise.

Annoying characters.
May 18, 1:07 AM

Mar 2021
ST63LTH said:
What makes or breaks an anime for you

Simple answer for me, it's when an Anime stops being entertaining for me to watch. There is no real extremely specific things I look out for other than it's entertainment value. I never thought of Anime as a serious medium even though in some Users eyes I could come off as hardcore simply for the fact I been consuming Anime longer than most Users on this platform have likely been alive.
ColourWheelMay 18, 1:43 AM
May 18, 1:13 AM

Sep 2016
Makes: whatever entertains me.

Breaks: whatever bores me.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 18, 1:18 AM

Aug 2018
It depends. Sometimes it's the art style, animation, direction, overall relatability, and believability, etc. If one aspect is lacking or starting to deteriorate, and I can't be bothered, then I won't watch the show or I'll drop it if I'm already watching it.
May 18, 1:32 AM

Jan 2022
I don't like corny ass shit in muh animes.
May 18, 1:38 AM
Jun 2015
If it's good, make.
If it's ass, break. Though,not all the time
May 18, 1:39 AM

Oct 2010
what makes it: sexy girls
what breaks it: idealism and peace propaganda
May 18, 1:41 AM

Apr 2020
For me, it's when an Anime loses consistency mid-way, mostly on very important aspects such as the established quality and style of writing and/or directing, the overall vibe of the Anime, the portrayal of the characters, etc.

Sometimes a character will be so unique at the beginning, only for them to turn into a basic character near the end. Or say, if a show has a very unique vibe and look, then it suddenly turns into just another Anime after a few episodes. I'd rather spend my time watching a show that's average from start to finish than invest not just my time but emotional connection on something pretentious and would bail on me in the middle of the ride.
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
May 18, 7:08 AM

May 2019
what makes it: bikini armor, nudity and fanservice.
what breaks it: overly philosophical mumbo jumbo.
May 18, 7:25 AM

May 2024
i dun like anime with too much talking
May 18, 7:29 AM

Nov 2023
Makes: Relatable setting or characters, under touched topics and themes, unique and interesting worldbuilding, completely defines and revamps a genera, well deserved suspenful climaxes that probably made me cry

Breaks: Makes me wanna sleep for some reason, annoying one dimensional characters, general bad writing, Confusion.
May 18, 7:31 AM

Mar 2023
Makes: Complex characters, with interesting philosophies and idelogies (when applicable)
Down to earth characters, realistic character interactions and most importantly, i love a good character development (in coming of age).
Powerful climaxes and well written endings.

Breaks: Bland characters, followed by annoying characters.
Bland characters being characters which dont develop much and/or get their way all the time.

I used to think annoying characters were worse, but there are a few well written annoying characters which eventually became more likable.

In terms of plot, I love complex plots but certainly not messy plots, or very predictable and linear plotlines either. I also dislike a very predictable plotline
“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
May 18, 9:09 AM

Jun 2017
Japan makes anime
Disney wants to break it
Mogami River

May 18, 10:37 AM

Sep 2018
Long scenes with no dialogues, no soundtrack and no interesting animation.

Smartass mc (Ayanokouji, Hachiman, Aquamarine)
May 18, 2:17 PM

Jul 2016
Loud or annoying characters can be a real nuisance
May 18, 2:32 PM

Apr 2024
I really don't like when a character screams and cries all the time. Looking at you Zenitsu

May 18, 3:41 PM

Dec 2014
terrible animation, amateur voice acting, boring ass characters and poor pacing are all dealbreakers

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
May 18, 3:54 PM
May 2024
For me its when the world is way too bland and unexplored, everything is predictable, and the characters have some b.s "no kill" rule or are too 1 dimensional

also when the m.c is a pussy and/or gets way too flustered when communicating with women it makes it real hard to watch
1ChrolloMay 18, 6:12 PM
May 18, 5:16 PM

Mar 2018
When things don't happen often enough.
May 18, 5:18 PM

Apr 2024
For me, it's gotta be MCs that simply cannot be around women. I can tolerate it when it's a side character (sometimes it can be charming even, like Yamcha), but when it's the MC, and it starts making me feel like burying my head in my hands for most of the episode, it's painful. That's why I cannot finish Chobits.

In second place is the sexualization of characters that either are stated to be really young or look really young.

In third are a handful of topics that just gross me out way too much, like with JoJo Part 5, I had to stop because
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
May 18, 5:22 PM
Sep 2013
Nothing in particular makes a show for me.

Something turning into a harem. That seems to be how "realist hero" was going to I dropped it.

An excessive amount of typical anime behaviours. Example: A girl is injured(it's always a girl for some reason) in a really minor way or gets slightly sick. Her friend acts like she tripped on a knife. I hate that. Especially the needlessly dramatic voice acting.

Gotta second the extremely passive/shy/useless/panicked type MCs. Whether we're talking about romance or just the story/combat in general, that shit gets old quickly. More tolerable than my first two gripes but still.

A distant fourth is excessive narration of thoughts and/or attacks. Mostly in the context of combat.
oappoMay 18, 5:27 PM
May 18, 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
Anime was never meant to be taken seriously btw...just wanted to let you know...
May 18, 10:11 PM

May 2016
too much fan service can make me lose interest nearly instantly

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
MAL Graph

May 19, 3:35 AM

Dec 2018
Annoying anime males

IMO there is often nothing more annoying in fiction than the anime male

I can't stand them. Therefore I almost only watch anime with cute girls in it. Anime girls are so fucking cute and often not annoying at all. And when they do gay things with each other I get very happy Hehehehehe

The best anime for my taste is Yuri that are male-free

Also what can break an anime for me is when they call it a Yuri romance and there are no lesbian kisses in it 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Lesbians should kiss,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

May 19, 4:31 AM

Oct 2019
Lack of ambition, creativity or uniqueness in any area. If I feel like I'm not getting anything even remotely unique from a show, why should I bother watching it?

I could also say "good writing" but I feel like that's a copout answer.

I said what I said, cause it even applies to bad anime. If a show sucks, but is still trying really hard to be something special, I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Like demon slayer is a good show, and platinum end sucks, but I enjoyed watching the latter more.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 19, 4:34 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
Makes: whatever entertains me.

Breaks: whatever bores me.
@Zarutaku How do feel about build up heavy shows then?

Like something that you find boring during the build up, and really enjoy the payoff of?

I don't get that at all myself cause I loved every second of it, but a lot of people describe steins;gate like that for example.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 19, 4:46 AM

Oct 2021

Definitely when the female MC/s are abusive, overused trope imo, especially when the male MC doesn't do anything wrong.
May 19, 4:57 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to APolygons2
@Zarutaku How do feel about build up heavy shows then?

Like something that you find boring during the build up, and really enjoy the payoff of?

I don't get that at all myself cause I loved every second of it, but a lot of people describe steins;gate like that for example.
@APolygons2 Build-ups can be entertaining too, but if they are boring then they shouldn't be too long, otherwise they miss the purpose of entertainment. Stein's Gate build-up wasn't boring at all for me, I liked it even more than what came afterwards.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 19, 5:23 AM

Apr 2021
Makes: good comedy and philosophical aspects

Breaks: I'm not really sure. Maybe when in an anime lots of girls for no valid reasons. Basically most harems
May 19, 5:28 AM

Dec 2022
Makes:

- Consistently establishing an immersive atmosphere through sound design, visuals and dialogue
- Faithfulness to the premise and intent of the anime, without getting clumsily sidetracked
- Unpretentious experimentalism and originality to set the series apart from its peers
- Cute girls

Breaks:

- Framing characters to the audience in a way that is clearly dissonant with how they are written, either in mentality or in actions
- Overly ugly, distracting visuals that make it difficult to immerse yourself in the world
- A maundering narrative that never seems to ground itself or understand what it wants to do
- Having too many recap episodes, especially if they lack any new details or scenes

Shaded Horizon

May 19, 5:59 AM

Nov 2018
Makes:

• Likeable story and characters
  • (If a comedy) repetitively funny, makes me laugh out-loud multiple times in an episode
  • If I read the source material beforehand

Breaks:

• If the only subbed version available in English is poorly made
  • Hosting sites/torrenting sites/eBay/etc don't have it at all
  • Very toxic/cringe fanbase
  • Has a complete 180 ending that ruins the whole show
  • Has localized subtitles
  • Very slow story build (if it's a 12 episode or so show)

May 19, 7:26 AM

Jan 2009
I usually finish what I begin, except it goes on for too long or is some Anime where I find the characters act too stupid or is just plain boring to me like the one Hentai with the female point of view that I had dropped long ago
While it's not a deal breaker, if a romance Anime focuses more on having a love triangle or a harem, it reduces my enjoyment compared to either series that has actual development in romance or dark romance ones that are interesting from a psychological aspect/catharsis. Comedy can be a hit or miss. If the jokes don't get to me, they are the latter
It's not a must, but having German subs has become actually more preferable to me, because the sentence structure feels more similar with the verb placement compared to English. Otherwise, good OST can have a positive effect on my enjoyment as well
May 19, 7:47 AM

Feb 2024
Makes:
- dark and glam themes
- drama and mystery
- consistent and developed characters
- yuri
- music and art (in that order)
Breaks:
- childish characters
- ninja, samrai, Japanese mythology
- copycats (both art-wise and story-wise)
- mainly male cast
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

More topics from this board

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

13 by juanlqr »»
1 minute ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - Yesterday

27 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago

» Does the chairudo with your waifu take after you?

SgtBateMan - 9 hours ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - 7 hours ago

30 by Anjuro »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

91 by Uksi »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.