Forum Settings
Forums

Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

New
Apr 30, 9:36 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Stupidity is disliking an anime just because they are mainstream :)

Disliking a popular anime because you genuinely dislike its content like story/plot/character is fine and normal, I dislike some mainstream anime too because I find it boring and uninteresting, not because it's mainstream or popular.

Well if you think disliking mainstream anime makes you cool, well sorry to say it's not actually, just saying~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 30, 9:46 AM

Feb 2020
I only dislike anime if I find it boring or annoying. Its popularity isn't really the main issue.
Apr 30, 9:51 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah, thats just contrarianism for the point of being "cool". If one really cant stand a series just cuz its popular and for no other reason its just like bruh
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 30, 9:57 AM

May 2019
I don't dislike popular anime because it's mainstream, i dislike it because it reuses the same old formulas repeatedly, like shonens all have that spiky haired dumb and optimistic mc with a sentimental heart and his spikier hair rival who's cold and brooding but always one step behind.
Apr 30, 10:00 AM

Aug 2012
I only dislike anime if I have reservations concerning their story, characters, or such. They don't have to be mainstream.
Apr 30, 10:02 AM

Apr 2024
I think some people just dislike certain genres of anime (normal). Sometimes the genres they dislike are perpetually what become popular... So, I think some people just come off as "elitist" or "hipster" simply because they don't enjoy a certain kind of anime.

People that dislike battle shounen and isekai (for example) don't necessarily dislike these popular genres because they're popular. But it would be easy to frame them as being that way (for similarly judgemental reasons).
LhundrupApr 30, 12:06 PM
Apr 30, 10:26 AM

Sep 2016
Good job again @Rinrinka, keep exposing them.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 10:39 AM

Dec 2020
Some people just have to be contrarian to get attention.
Apr 30, 10:41 AM

Jan 2023
I never dislike something for being popular, it’s really petty in my eyes to do so and there’s usually some kind of valid reason as to why it’s gotten the attention and hype it has. I really only begin to dislike an anime if something is bothering and I find it unpleasant, usually within the story or characters or something else related to it.
Apr 30, 10:48 AM

Nov 2021
I dislike it when the anime I don't like gets mainstream.

Well, tbh i don't care much.
Apr 30, 10:49 AM
Oct 2019
This applies to more than just anime tbh. Disliking anything because of its content is valid, disliking something because of its popularity isn't.
Apr 30, 10:52 AM

Jan 2009
ye some people are like this and i never understood it
Apr 30, 10:58 AM

Apr 2021
Being different than others is cool apparently
Apr 30, 11:57 AM

Mar 2023
Well the problem is if a anime that i dislikes get praised like it's the second comming of Christ, then my detest for it just grow stronger.
Apr 30, 2:40 PM

Dec 2015
According to wikipedia stupidity is a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason or wit, an inability to learn.

While disliking something just because they are mainstream is clrearly a reason for a dislike, no matter if you like or not. A reason for such action might be just simply an inner gratifiction of feel to be "cool".

Although I am not following such way of thinking, I've spend time with people who really lacked the ability to acquire such stuff and that's way uncomparable different than "oh I dislike X because it's popular"
Apr 30, 2:47 PM

Aug 2016
The common reasons that I dislike a series is either it being relentlessly boring or the story not making sense either logically or thematically, which can be a thing with popular anime as well as the lesser known ones.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 30, 4:20 PM

Nov 2019
@Rinrinka
It's not that I dislike mainstream anime. I hate things that are boring. It's only a coincidence that a lot of mainstream anime are boring for me.

I mean, people who dislike anime just because it's mainstream have the exact same mentality as people who like anime just because it's a mainstream show. You're basically calling them stupid, lol.

"Stupidity is disLIKING anime just because they are mainstream :)"

Are you a casual fan who likes anime shows just because they're mainstream? Then you're stupid!
KushnaApr 30, 5:18 PM
Apr 30, 4:32 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Kushna
@Rinrinka
It's not that I dislike mainstream anime. I hate things that are boring. It's only a coincidence that a lot of mainstream anime are boring for me.

I mean, people who dislike anime just because it's mainstream have the exact same mentality as people who like anime just because it's a mainstream show. You're basically calling them stupid, lol.

"Stupidity is disLIKING anime just because they are mainstream :)"

Are you a casual fan who likes anime shows just because they're mainstream? Then you're stupid!
@Kushna
Similar but not the same I would say, one is trying to fit, the other group tries to look cooler than the rest.
But I get your point
Apr 30, 4:35 PM

Aug 2018
Yeah, it's weird to dislike an anime show just because of how popular it is.
Apr 30, 4:35 PM

Jun 2020
But how else do I prove le Tatami Galaxy is peak fiction?
Apr 30, 5:17 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to tchitchouan
I don't dislike popular anime because it's mainstream, i dislike it because it reuses the same old formulas repeatedly, like shonens all have that spiky haired dumb and optimistic mc with a sentimental heart and his spikier hair rival who's cold and brooding but always one step behind.
@tchitchouan Hate to break it to ya, but all anime reuses the same shit as what came out prior. That's why tropes like tsunderes exist.
Apr 30, 5:21 PM
May 2012
It's the ego, often wrong on purpose. I don't think it's stupid, dissent could actually be an evolutionary advantage.
Let's say that if there are 100 guys and all 100 think that seeing Kimi ni Todoke is a good idea, they all die killed by Sadako, if instead you have 80 who think it is a good idea but 5 don't, another 5 think "well the plot is strange I don't watch it" and 10 others prefer Doraemon then you have 20 who survive the event.
You can oppose and have different opinions and different tastes while respecting those of others, yes of course but it is probably more effective this way in strengthening this behavior which in the end, although it can create conflicts, even serious ones, in the big scheme of things it does offer advantages.
It has certainly happened many times in the past that not following the mass did save the day and could save the day in the future so be careful about thinking to remove this feature because it looks stupid.
Apr 30, 5:22 PM

May 2019
Reply to FanofAction
@tchitchouan Hate to break it to ya, but all anime reuses the same shit as what came out prior. That's why tropes like tsunderes exist.
@FanofAction yeah, i'm well aware of that but i specifically dislike the shonen tropes the most.
Apr 30, 5:27 PM

Nov 2013
I remember the days when former militant members of the now inactive 'Anime Uber-Elitist Club' would unironically flood the boards with their anti-mainstream lines to take.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 30, 6:37 PM

Feb 2021
Most mainstream anime are boring that's why I don't like them.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 1, 2:25 AM

Nov 2019
mainstream can be subjective but i dislike overhyped/overrated anime. Could be a different side of the same coin when referring to mainstream but still...
May 1, 11:16 AM

Nov 2017
İ am not disliking mainstream animes. I just dont like to hear an anime from everyone.
May 1, 4:29 PM

May 2021
I wouldn't pass up a potentially enjoyable experience just to stand out from the majority. But I also wouldn't appreciate being hyped up about an experience only to find out later that it didn't live up to my expectations.

May 1, 4:50 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Dachitosoru
I wouldn't pass up a potentially enjoyable experience just to stand out from the majority. But I also wouldn't appreciate being hyped up about an experience only to find out later that it didn't live up to my expectations.
@Dachitosoru Try to ignore the hype and go in expecting it to not be as good as ratings suggest. Works for me usually. Another thing I try to do is wait until the hype dies down so I'm less likely to be influenced by it.
May 2, 12:47 AM

May 2018
"Stupidity is disliking an anime just because they are mainstream"

I have seen people doing dumber things tho...so being prejudice against entertainment is not such a bad thing after all. At least it shows some sort of individualism.
May 2, 2:57 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
You're confusing "the definition of" with "an example of", zoomie.

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 6 hours ago

35 by notPara »»
1 minute ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

20 by FrusDiplo »»
6 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

82 by notPara »»
7 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

38 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
9 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - 5 hours ago

32 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.