Forum Settings
Forums

If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

New
Apr 28, 5:57 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Imagine one day your favorite anime exploded in popularity and went so mainstream to the point that everyone in social media talks and makes short video about it almost everyday and even your grandma knows, would you like it? or would you prefer your fav anime to be unpopular instead?

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 28, 5:59 AM

Feb 2020
I guess I prefer my favorite anime to be fairly unpopular.
Apr 28, 6:05 AM

Apr 2024
My favorite anime is like a hidden gem, the less people know about it, the more special it feels to me.
Apr 28, 6:10 AM

Sep 2016
Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete going through the roof globally would be hilarious.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 28, 6:14 AM

Feb 2019
There are two where I would excommunicate myself from the show, it would be a tragedy.

But if it was my other favs like Gosick, Slayers, Vampire dies in no time, Eccentric Family, or Detective Conan I would be fine.
TeirayoApr 28, 6:17 AM
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Apr 28, 6:20 AM

Nov 2021
If there's a good manga I like, which turns into an anime that normies heavily overrate (Frieren, SpyXFamily), I lose interest in it. If it's just a popular anime but I haven't read the source material, I don't care.
Taiga best girl forever.
Apr 28, 6:26 AM

Aug 2010
I would like it. I'd be in favor of that.
Apr 28, 6:27 AM
Oct 2019
Nope because over the years I end up enjoying the niche and underdog stuff. Since it's less talked about it got less toxicity.
Apr 28, 6:38 AM

Dec 2020
No, even without being mainstream, lots of people even here on the mal forums get really weird when it comes to monogatri.
Apr 28, 6:40 AM

Mar 2023
Monster is already a little bit popular.
Apr 28, 6:40 AM

Dec 2015
I don't need to imagine it, when TYBW was announced it was top 1 trending on Twitter, when it was airing it was also popular, there is not a single day in which I wouldn't seen any Bleach related meme/short video on Tik Tok or Youtube, my country isn't that associated with anime so I won't bother to ask my family members although they would know what Bleach is...
[Yeah memes are quite popular on tik toke, few weeks ago the comparison of mc theme was in trends, now the Aizen x Hinamori manga panel is being memed with Treachery soundtrack or Enemy - Last Hope with Invasion soundtrack]

For ex. Yesterday/2 day ago when I was cooking these 4 stuff has poped up, if I would be on my tik tok feed longer most likely there would be more:
https://www.tiktok.com/@_ikujo_/video/7345487721202208032
https://www.tiktok.com/@demigodrequis/photo/7360150100519210282
3rd tik tok - The pinging user has been activated there so need to change my url posting here
https://www.tiktok.com/@itssnotneon/video/7361152199910640929

It just not reached the final form of mainstream yet.
ZettaikenApr 28, 6:49 AM
Apr 28, 7:01 AM

Nov 2023
yeah, gives me a sence of proud, and I have the opportunity to annoy people
Apr 28, 7:10 AM

Jul 2015
No. Too many troll and media illiterate people. There are already plenty of Mushoku Tensei haters and "foreshadowing = plot hole" takes on Demon Slayer boards to know how it will end. I've already seen plenty of "Clannad ending is an asspull" takes, which is objectively wrong, so...

Apr 28, 7:14 AM

Jan 2019
Fate/Zero is semi-popular, I'm happy with that if it stays the popularity as it is right now
But Fate/Zero became as popular as Demon Slayer or Jujutsu Kaisen, if people really appreciate it then obviously, it would be something like FMAB status
But not everyone likes the theme of Fate/Zero so I rather not
Apr 28, 7:16 AM

Apr 2024
Made in Abyss is already really popular, plenty of people already made videos and such. Plenty of hot takes and ignorant assumptions about people that enjoyed it. You just gotta ignore the noise.

Apr 28, 9:15 AM

May 2019
Nah, it's better off if queen's blade remains niche, some people can't handle it.
Apr 28, 9:16 AM

Oct 2017
Jojo has already gotten pretty mainstream, but if it went more so that would be nice. It'd make it easier to find people to talk with about the series
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 28, 9:18 AM

Dec 2020
I would probably like it less. I would be reluctant to call it a favorite.
But of course, something like this will never happen so I don't have to worry about it.

Apr 28, 9:52 AM
Feb 2014
Maybe not to that level of popularity, but yes, it would be nice if they were more appreciated/popular.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 28, 10:14 AM

Oct 2013
I weathered the storm of peak dumbass Rick and Morty fans. I think I could handle that. Most of mine already are fairly popular to begin with. I've come to the conclusion that ditching a thing just because it got really popular is just a sad attempt to keep feeling "unique" and "special", and I don't have the mental energy to give a shit about that.
FanofActionApr 28, 10:44 AM
Apr 28, 10:43 AM

Apr 2013
Of course I'd like that, that would mean more artwork, more cosplays and more memes about something I like.
Apr 28, 12:44 PM

Sep 2019
Neutral, I wouldn't care either way.
Apr 28, 12:59 PM

May 2021
No I absolutely hate that lol. I have this feeling with JJK. Although it was already pretty popular back then, the popularity really grew after S2. I was so addicted with the series that before JJK S2 came out I read the manga over and over again like a bible, engaged with new chapter discussions everyweek nonstop for 3+ years and even wrote essays on this shit.

But now, everyone have seen the show, including those who don't watch anime and it no longer feels that special to me.
Apr 28, 2:31 PM

May 2021
I would still enjoy Re:Zero regardless if it became popular with the none anime watchers.
Echidna best waifu :D
Apr 28, 2:35 PM

Aug 2018
There's nothing wrong with my favourites becoming more popular.
Apr 28, 2:40 PM

Dec 2022
Unless it miraculously resulted in some of my favourite anime (many of which are obscure) getting a second season, then not particularly. Yofukashi no Uta is the most popular of my highest rated anime, and you can already see the fallout of that, with how many mainstreamers incessantly complain about how Kou and Akira are "underage".

But, ultimately, it doesn't matter much. My favourite anime would remain my favourites even if they became the most popular anime out there, despite the peripheral discourse surrounding them potentially being impacted by it.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 28, 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
I wouldn't be able to tell everyone to watch Master Keaton & Borgman if they were popular :v

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2:46 PM

Nov 2020
I don't care and I can't understand people who force themselves to be unique and give up even things they really liked because they have become too popular, it honestly irritates me and I consider such people to be one of the worst types of anime fans xD
Apr 28, 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
If socmed is the reason my favorite anime gets a new content only to be censored and be modernized to modern woke BS, I would despise the fact it got popular in the first place.

Now if socmed hypes it up and it will generate more content around it that is also faithfull to the original... I guess that's a win? But let's be honest... When was the last time that happened? Everything that becomes popular gains huge potential to evolve into grey soulless ****

So in short, no I wouldn't like it, cause nothing good will come out of it.
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...

I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

THE HYPE IS REAL!! It's time!! 2 Become a legend, the Ghost of Tsushima
Apr 28, 3:08 PM

Apr 2020
my favorite anime is already insanely popular and i don't hate that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 3:40 PM

Oct 2019
Steins;gate is the perfect amount of popular.

It's just popular enough to be known as one of the best among anime fans, but just unpopular enough for the fanbase to be actually pretty chill.

So.... no, I would not want it to be more popular.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 28, 3:51 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I don't think it would matter to much for me, but on the bright side maybe more merc or new stuff from the anime?
Apr 28, 3:54 PM

Aug 2018
I don't know, if Noragami, out of nowhere, got a ton of popularity, that would mean that a chance for a 3rd season would be much higher, and I'm totally not against it! I also don't mind my favorite anime being popular, I already love Attack on Titan, so that might explain it.
Apr 28, 4:37 PM

Dec 2021
More popularity, please. The Zombieland Saga movie is on life support because MAPPA is garbo. With more fans maybe they'd get off their MassA (oh ho!) and stop wasting time with stuff like Bucchigiri or AoT.
Apr 28, 4:37 PM

Apr 2012
What a bizarre idea. I want everyone to watch all my favourite anime, because they're brilliant and that brilliance deserves to be shared as widely as possible.
Apr 28, 6:11 PM

May 2021
I'm aware that it wouldn't please the majority, so I think it's better that it stays known to people who are interested in series like it.

Apr 28, 7:15 PM

Jul 2023
MY favorite is already popular but I wouldnt like it if my second favorite got super popular
People get filtered so hard by watamote and end up slandering it online
Apr 29, 5:41 AM
Feb 2024
yes i want that because big chance it will have sequel
Apr 29, 5:56 AM

Jan 2019
Yes, I would love to... at least here in Brazil I would love more people to like Sword Art Online

Apr 29, 6:03 AM

Aug 2021
It doesn't matter to me either way tbh, unless it correlates with the number of BNHA haters 🤔
Apr 29, 11:53 AM
Dec 2019
no not really, the more mainstream it is the more merch and stuff will be made which is nice
Apr 29, 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Zayvex
Zayvex said:

Same here, but it can increase the chances of it having another season or getting a sequel (something along those lines).
Apr 29, 7:27 PM

Mar 2024
...*sigh* this exact thing happened with bungou stray dogs for me, and my god. it was hell in this fandom for those 3 months that the fifth season was airing. it's cooled down and most of the people who were only there to rode the hype train left. now it's just a couple of chill gay people again. balance has been restored. i wouldn't survive if that happened again though tbh. when it exploded it kinda just felt like most of the people there had binged the whole series over the course of like a week and then barely retained any of it, therefore none of them knew what the hell they were talking about. you can't really be a casual bsd fan, it just doesn't happen. either you become scarily obsessed with it because you're neurodivergent as fuck, or you drop it after 6 episodes.
Apr 29, 7:33 PM

Jul 2019
Penguindrum, Aria, and Sonny Boy would never explode in popularity and that's part of the charm.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 29, 7:50 PM

Nov 2014
If popularity means it would get a second season, then yes, I would love that. But popularity outside Japan does not necessarily mean it would get the same support from Japanese people. And that matters since anime is catered towards Japanese audience. So second season is still impossible.

I can't see it ever happening though. I can't even visualize nor imagine it.
Apr 30, 1:18 AM

Jan 2020
I'm not sure how I would feel. On hand I would love getting to see my favorite anime succeed, but I would hate to see the fanbase deteriorate as a result.

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Apr 30, 2:25 AM
Sep 2023
It would be nice to actually talk to someone about Gundam outside of hobby shops and Gundam Facebook groups.
Apr 30, 2:30 AM
Mar 2024
Yeah, I definitely would like that. Let more people see it, maybe it will interest and appeal to them too.

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9114 by JPZ »»
27 seconds ago

» Anime you liked more on second viewing

JoeChip - 7 minutes ago

2 by Rhae »»
33 seconds ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - 1 hour ago

5 by Paul »»
10 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

45 by Chronon »»
10 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

78 by RaiYou »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.