Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 6:43 AM

Jun 2023
Pretty self-explanatory. Over the past seventeen years, I've made quite a few friends on the 'net, and the majority of them are people I haven't talked with in years at this point. I still have one friend from back when I first started talking with people online, and I'm in a discord channel for people from an old gaming forum I was a member of, but that's pretty much it (except for like, three). Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I still am in contact with the people I met back in the day, but I still miss some of the people I talked with back in my teens and early twenties. I guess it'd be more accurate to say I miss the memory of them, but either way. I hope they're all doing well.

Anyone else feel the same way, at least sometimes? Or am I sentimental sap? (I am a sap, tbh.)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 6:53 AM

Sep 2016
No, I don't miss anyone, online and offline.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 10, 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
sometimes ye makes me wish they are doing fine
Apr 10, 6:54 AM

Feb 2020
"Do you ever miss old/former online friends?"

Maybe sometimes.
Apr 10, 7:04 AM

Jan 2023
Not particularly, maybe the memories but not the person themself. I’m the kind of person to just immediately move on after a fallout since most former friends don’t leave much of an impact on me nor do we know each other well enough.
Apr 10, 7:05 AM

Jul 2023
I do. I do not think there is anything wrong in savoring connections that you find to be meaningful to you, regardless of their source of origin. Though, the context of networking with someone without ever having necessarily seen or met with them in-person does create an odd sort of distance in the relationship, as perhaps you never feel too invested or close when you either drift apart or one of you stops showing up to your usual haunts, whether chatrooms, forums, or some other avenue of social media.

Anyway, I certainly miss having some of the conversations I used to have. Fortunately, within the next decade I'll likely have a GPT for every personality type I've ever encountered and may then be able to converse with the machine for many hours in the stead of actual people.
Apr 10, 8:04 AM
May 2012
I don't miss people I miss how those people made me feel.
I never lost someone so suddenly when everything was going great but rather I always had a slow process of distancing.
I feel like enjoying socializing is like a curve through time that start from zero, reaches the apex and goes back to zero, nothing last forever because everything is constantly changing, you, them, the world. The relations that were great for you when you were young may suck today.
People should consider the whole thing not just the apex moment, if you focus on that you have a compromised selective vision that does not reflect reality.
To get there you spent time, effort, resources it is not just free, it does not just happen magically.
There comes a time when it is necessary to let go of certain people and look for others precisely because something has changed and there come times when it is even better to be alone.
Apr 10, 8:52 AM

Jan 2009
Mostly for nostalgic reasons from time to time, but I'm more just living with it, considering that now more time has passed since we last talked than the whole time spent together in general for almost all cases. Plus I'm currently free from limerence. There's still some curiosity in what they are doing and how they are doing, but I'm not going out of my way in trying to find out

"If someone is playing with losing you, let them win that game. Don't waste any time in keeping someone who doesn't recognize what they have. It's better to let them go than to lose yourself in a fight which only you seem to be having" - random Squidward real talk I'm hoping to keep in mind and applying as countermeasures in case I would ever get into a state of limerence ever again
Apr 10, 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
Not even one bit. Because nobody on the Internet can truly be trusted.
Apr 10, 9:49 AM

Sep 2014
not really. at the end of the day, i fell out of contact with those people for one reason or another. with anyone who i actually care for and vice-versa, keeping in touch with each other comes naturally, and i don't have any interest in chasing someone who doesn't feel a need to put that effort in
Apr 10, 10:11 AM

Dec 2015
Yes and No.

No because they weren't that much of a part of my life to think about those pals that much.

Yes because some hours spent in Cs go, Lol, mount and blade, cods etc. Were hella fun.
Apr 10, 2:55 PM

Jun 2020
I had an online friend group during COVID that i kind of miss. But other than that, nope, I value my irl friends much more than online ones
Apr 10, 4:22 PM

Aug 2011
Kind of. There was someone I talked with through email for 15+ years. We met on the forum of an anime website that I ran in the early 2000s.

He was a good guy, super social and loved to talk, but I'm the opposite, so that was a problem. We had some shared interests, but it was stuff that he was really passionate about, and it was just casual for me, so I could never match his enthusiasm. Responding to frequent long emails became draining and frustrating for me. It got to the point where I hated seeing them in my inbox. It started with me just taking a long time to respond (a few days very gradually turned into a few weeks, then sometimes months), but then the backlog of emails to respond to became overwhelming. I realized that I just didn't want this in my life anymore, and I stopped replying altogether. This probably wasn't the right way to handle the situation, but I didn't know what else to do.

I don't really "miss" him, since it was me who decided to stop talking in the first place, but I do feel bad that I didn't end it properly. How do you tell someone that you just aren't interested in talking to them anymore, without hurting them, especially if it's clear that they still want to talk? Suddenly disappearing probably hurt him more, though, and he didn't do anything wrong. I definitely wouldn't want to start talking again, but I think of him once in a while, and I really hope he's doing well.
palm-treeApr 10, 4:28 PM
Apr 11, 3:25 AM

Mar 2018
i do, miss them i mean.
i think about everyone from time to time.
most just drifted away and stopped being
terminally online - i'm happy for them really.

i just hope they're doing well and are happy

Apr 11, 3:29 AM
Hmmmmm

Oct 2023
Maybe not the person but the memories or how simpler the times were. Especially when you look back at some people you met playing CoD in the glory days during highschool
Apr 11, 3:45 AM

May 2014
Sometimes, but i believe every meeting will led to a parting. On the bright side, there's always other people (online or not) who will fill the gap for you.

People come and go. We just have to accept and move on with life.

palm-tree said:
I don't really "miss" him, since it was me who decided to stop talking in the first place, but I do feel bad that I didn't end it properly. How do you tell someone that you just aren't interested in talking to them anymore, without hurting them, especially if it's clear that they still want to talk? Suddenly disappearing probably hurt him more, though, and he didn't do anything wrong. I definitely wouldn't want to start talking again, but I think of him once in a while, and I really hope he's doing well.

I think I had similar situation before, i was on a group of friends for years online but i feel like things becoming more redundant and not interesting every day we speak so i decided to cut the ties for my own good with everyone. It's definitely not a top 10 partings (and a quite negative one) but well, it's the only way to clearly stated that i don't want to connect with them anymore. I do hope they're okay with their own life now because they're certainly not bad people.

“Be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”
"Just don't overdo it"
*nods*
Apr 11, 4:04 AM

May 2022
Yeah, there was once this guy on an online game. I remember we were having an argument with each other but I somehow managed to become friends with him after the game was over. I had that friend for about 3 years and we would play a bunch of Videogames with him and his brother. Until his account unfortunately got banned forever and I didn't see him again for years.

A few years after his account got deleted his brother who's account was still there joined me in the game I was playing and told me that his brother now had a new account and I could meet him if I wanted to. The thing is, it's kind of hard to start playing the same games again after all their progress on the game was permanently gone. So now we haven't really talked for about 1-2 years.
Apr 11, 4:35 AM

Jan 2009
palm-tree said:
That depends on the frequency, intensity and duration of the talks, I would say. If you are not interested in continuing to talk with someone, it's better imho to withdraw within the first few weeks at most or to reduce intensity from the beginning. If you have talked for several months intensively or for years with phases of more intensive exchange, then I would prefer to tell the other person that you would be focusing on your own life more (so the other person doesn't have to expect any more responses back) but if you have more leisure you may get back to him sometimes about some things
Does he have any still somewhat active online profiles? As long as he comes at least from time to time online, he's probably doing well enough. Alternatively, maybe you know some other people who know of him. And maybe for future contacts, try to lower the enthusiasm from the beginning by clearly stating in your responses that you don't feel so strongly about the topics the other person has mentioned before you come to dislike responding back
NoboruApr 11, 4:56 AM
Apr 11, 4:54 AM

Jun 2015
yes but i'm more happy i met them than anything

Apr 11, 6:17 AM

Jun 2016
Sometimes. I used to have fun with some guys from a crappy Clash of Clans knock off and a girl from MW2 (the old one) but I haven't talked to them in ages. I don't even know how to look for them.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 11, 6:22 AM

Jul 2022
I had dozens of online friends for 11 months on discord but after that, I am left with one on a video game where I rarely chat with
KiryotsuApr 11, 6:34 AM

Apr 11, 6:33 AM

Jul 2013
Yes. I do. Because many of them have either ignored me, blocked me or stopped using social media altogether.
Apr 11, 7:41 AM

Sep 2016
pludel2 said:
Do you ever miss old/former online friends?
DesuMaiden said:
Not even one bit.

I think you should use different accounts, depending on which of your split personality is currently active.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 11, 7:54 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
pludel2 said:
Do you ever miss old/former online friends?
DesuMaiden said:
Not even one bit.

I think you should use different accounts, depending on which of your split personality is currently active.
@Zarutaku depends on which friends. Some I do miss. Others I do not.
Apr 11, 10:50 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah a little, mainly 3 guys in-particular. 1 guy was from the US, and the other 2 were from my country, met them all on PSN 6 or 7 years back.
It's not like I've totally lost contact with them, but they seem more preoccupied with work and love, whereas I'm pretty much still in the same situation as back then.
I get the odd comment from them now & again, but it's very infrequent.
Apr 11, 11:05 AM

Jan 2017
I wouldn't say I miss my old internet friends. I miss old internet itself and that era of my life, which those old internet friends were a crucial part of. I miss that so much I can't even describe.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 11, 11:15 AM

Jun 2023
Reply to Kenrin
I wouldn't say I miss my old internet friends. I miss old internet itself and that era of my life, which those old internet friends were a crucial part of. I miss that so much I can't even describe.
@Kenrin What era?
I really miss the first handful of years I really started using the 'net (outside of stuff like looking on GameFAQs), circa 2007-2012.
Apr 11, 11:21 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to pludel2
@Kenrin What era?
I really miss the first handful of years I really started using the 'net (outside of stuff like looking on GameFAQs), circa 2007-2012.
@pludel2
pludel2 said:
What era?

About 2007-2012 in my case as well. Smaller subculture related forums were thriving back then, and I feel like making friends was much easier than nowadays.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 11, 12:29 PM

Aug 2012
Sometimes yeah. Had my own friend group on another forum when I was a teen around 2011 I think and the years after that, which was a ton of fun. But nowadays I only still talk to one of them. But that's how it goes, nothing lasts forever so make sure you have some good times while it lasts.
Apr 11, 1:22 PM

Jun 2023
Reply to Kenrin
@pludel2
pludel2 said:
What era?

About 2007-2012 in my case as well. Smaller subculture related forums were thriving back then, and I feel like making friends was much easier than nowadays.
@Kenrin I get what you're saying. I was on dothack Portal and rpgdreamers back in the day, and liked the smaller communities. Tbh, I'm not sure if it was easier back then, or if I was less guarded, but it does seem more difficult to make friends now.
Apr 12, 3:25 AM

Mar 2021
Of course I do. I miss talking to @Ingenate (even though he gets on Discord every once in a while) and @Mo168 all the time.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Apr 15, 7:18 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I wish I was better at staying in contact with people, but I understand that things move on based on interests and the development of individuals - also, it's a two-way street, so it's not something you should feel too guilty about. Always an opportunity to reconnect at some point or to meet new cool people. Be happy for the times you had, like samskeyti said.
Apr 15, 9:12 PM

Dec 2014
I'd say a mix of both I have spoken to many people online over the years some I even met in person. I wonder what happened to a lot of them both from MAL and others online.
Apr 16, 2:03 AM

Mar 2023
I'm too young to understand this but I will be there for them.
I don't know what I'm doing.
Apr 16, 2:13 AM

Mar 2023
No since i have never had online friends.
Apr 16, 2:27 AM

Mar 2024
I miss my imaginary friends from childhood. When i grew up they all disappeared...
Apr 16, 4:38 AM

Aug 2012
Some here/there. As for MAL - I do. Whether it’s me or them that life gets in the way. We’ll check up on one another time to time, but it isn’t consistent like it use to be. I don’t mind though! Sure, I miss the good ol’ days, but I’m grateful that we can have a moment to catch up on our lives.
The ones I’ve spoke on MAL, some I have gotten close with that if they were to message me, it would be like a friend irl checking up on me.
Online/offline does not differ to me based on the friendship we built. Also…I have the tendency to be hella nostalgic.

Apr 16, 5:05 AM

Jul 2013
Yes. But I just find new friends online. To make up for the ones that I lost.
Apr 16, 6:52 AM

Aug 2018
Sometimes i do, but I remember I used to be in a different headspace when I talked to them and then I think: Would we even have anything to talk about nowadays? It’s hard to really explain tbh
Apr 16, 7:19 AM

Feb 2024
I miss some good ol' days, not people. What's gone is gone. I feel sad every time I meet someone after years: neither conversation nor sex is good. It's like ordering an aged drink and getting yesterday's tea.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 16, 8:10 AM

Nov 2017
Yeah, I sometimes do. For those I do miss it's more so 'cause they haven't logged in for years. I sure hope they're doing good in life
Apr 30, 10:19 AM

Nov 2019
Always do, whether they stopped coming online or I stopped interacting with them. They are responsible for the growth in my character to this day. Even the ones that I still stay in touch exclusively through online means but knew irl before. It's a wholesome experience reminiscing.
Apr 30, 5:46 PM

Nov 2013
There is mainly one I think about, an 'unknown/unexplainable' disappearance. I remember playing with someone fairly regularly on a video game called Counter-strike. A time come when they just simply... never came online ever again. It was quite bizarre, they mentioned they wanted to play the next day and we set a time to play, and then that was it. I still have them added as a friend, I remember they got a particular weapon skin and they said they'd hang onto it and await the price to increase. Well they've not logged in for years and that is now worth almost £1000. At the time they had very little money. It makes me wonder if they actually died or something due to the sudden disappearance. I don't care about playing anymore, but I wish I knew what happened, for peace of mind.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 30, 7:43 PM

Jun 2016
I'm pretty bad at keeping friends in real life and on the internet, i could say that i miss them a little, but that's all
Apr 30, 10:30 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Absolutely. I used to mostly be on deviantART. I had a lot of buddies there and we'd all draw together in paint chats and such. We would draw fan art for each other... draw each others' OCs... I was even in some rolepaying groups with a pretty heavy emphasis on art where I had a whole other group of buddies. It was all really fun. Some of the most fun I've had in my life. Then most of my friends left dA because they were concerned about whether dA had the rights to their content. However, they all left to Tumblr where... they actually had an even worse policy on art ownership if they had bothered to read the Terms of Service and such. I didn't follow them to Tumblr, so I eventually lost contact with everyone. I talk to one of them every now and then because we exchanged phone numbers... but I don't actually like texting or messaging back and forth for too long/if there's no end in sight, so I pretty much don't talk to them. Usually I'd just communicate with everyone through art, through commenting/replying on my own time (like on a forum), or while making art together on boards. That or we'd be on Skype, a chatroom, or something.

So yeah, I feel like I've just isolated myself from everyone I know now. OTL My offline friends get it, but when that's kinda all you have for online friends then that's kinda where it all ends.;; I have like no motivation to keep up contact with people because I know I'll just disappoint them by not responding to stuff right away.

I really do miss my art buddies.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 1, 1:41 AM

Jun 2020
My everyday always went by things that remind me about my old friends, both online and offline. Thoughts like "what if" and stuff often gets into me but, do I really miss them? Umh, not really. Maybe I do miss them, but somehow I can tell they'll never come back. Even if we are able to meet, they usually became a totally different someone that I can't recognize so it will makes me feel we are not actually that close since the beginning. Then, I can't keep them as my friends like I usually do and they will go again, or you can skip the "change in personality" part because it won't affect much at the end.

Well, I'm glad because we have met, though maybe my presence in their life don't have any impact for them. But I always hope they are doing fine now.

Edit: For some people, finding new friends will be a solution but that's not the case for me because I'm bad at making friends (and I don't think I seem like a friendly person to others) :p If that works for you, then good. I'm used to be alone since I was little so it's not like nothing change if I feel sad because of it.
chocomayuMay 1, 1:48 AM
May 1, 1:57 AM
Jun 2012
For sure I miss them and the memories sometimes, but I hope they're doing well now and that they went on to make better friends than me. After all, I'm sure there's more interesting people out there to hold their attention better.

When I was a teenager, I'd always been the person who initiated the conversations with online friends, having no irl friends...only to get ignored sometimes or soon enough ghosted entirely if I stopped making the effort one day to see if they'd bother to do the same.

There was one important online friend I'd talked to for over five years across many platforms... We used to make the same amount of effort but I'd noticed that had changed. I'd asked them about how come we didn't talk much anymore, saying I missed them...
Well, they just flat out told me that irl friends matter far more to them. They were one of my only contacts when I was growing up in foster care. I cut contact and largely gave up on making new friends at that point.

I'm a content and happy introverted adult now though. I managed to get an irl boyfriend of five years and have two cats.
May 1, 2:19 AM
Oct 2015
Yeah I have a few friends I miss. There was this one time where I was part of a Skype group and we all got along well with each other.
We were pretty much an online family. As time went on though more and more drama within the group started getting out of hand until
eventually we were split in two. A lot of people I once knew were just gone after that. I’m actually still friends with one half of the group
but the rest that left are just gone. Sometimes I wish I could just get back into contact with some of them.
There was also another moment I had with a friend on discord. This one actually hurts more since we were pretty close.
We got along great and would chat pretty much everyday. But one day she decided to just leave discord since she was dealing with stuff in her personal life.
She did tell me about that before she left so at least I wasn’t left in the dark. This was back in 2021 and I still hope the best for her.
May 1, 2:43 AM

Jul 2016
All the time, I think of this one online friend I had in 2020 here on mal, had great convos and they up and deleted their account all of a sudden. Was thinking of him and I searched his name, he returned a few months later like wtf. Deleted his account soon afterwards though, who knows probably using a different username now. Wonder bout him from time to time.

Slowly connecting with some older mal friends now which is cool. Been nostalgic.
May 1, 3:30 AM

Feb 2018
I think around half the users on my fr list are not active on mal. Some aren't even from mal. They used to lurk in Horriblesubs grp chats almost a decade ago. Well they are still around but we don't talk that often. Only mal users like to chat a lot i think
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Twitter is officially X.com now

deg - Today

25 by Soverign »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you guys actually read the comments on the threads here

tsukareru - May 11

32 by Malkshake »»
1 hour ago

» I showed the music that I've produced to my father, he liked it

weirdmusty7 - Today

16 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 10

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

31 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.