Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
I think this was alright. Seems like one of those manga that was destined to get an anime adaptation so here we are.

There's a mixture of comedy and action in the first episode. Taiyou Asano debuts as the main protagonist and he didn't make a big impression at first. However, we do get a variety of other cast members introduced most noticably Mutsumi. Shion and Goliath (the cat) also makes appearances too. The animation looks consistent compared to the manga and I didn't really expect too much in terms of technical value.

This pilot episode so far establishes the main premise. We got 2-cour confirmation on this so there's plenty to adapt. Bring on more!
Apr 7, 1:29 AM

Dec 2021
One of the few new weekly Shounen Jump series to survive the fated axe, Hitsuji Gondaira's Yozakura Family, is making its way to the Disney+/Hulu screens... wonderful.

Ever since Taiyo Asano lost his parents, he's been on his own, with his childhood friend and classmate, Mutsumi Yozakura, being the only one who seems to care for him. However, Mutsumi harbors a secret—she's the head of a family of spies. Adding to the complication, her brother Kyoichiro is fiercely protective of her. In order to prevent Kyoichiro from harming Taiyo, they must take an extraordinary step—getting married. In the Yozakura family, the principle stands firm: family cannot harm family.

My favorite part of it was probably the tragedy of Taiyo's family and how that affected him, leading to his fear of interacting with other people in fear of losing them. I hope that aspect isn't forgotten, as I would like to see it explored in the future. But wow, I actually despise Kyoichiro; I'm legitimately very angry, and the more I think about him, the angrier I get. I understand he has trauma, but at the end of the day, his actions are very self-serving. I'm also concerned about the romance; the way things were established wasn't really to my liking. Maybe I'll change my mind later, but until then, I hope for some good shounen plot.

Ikimonogakari is back after a short hiatus, and I don't care what you say, to me, this is a banger.

Taiyo will protect Mitsumi... no matter what it takes. Take that, Kyoichiro.

Overall, a fun premiere; this will be a fun ride, I can tell, though if Silver Link can keep this up for a whopping 27 EPISODES is the question.

Apr 7, 1:30 AM

May 2020
Was one long overdue thing from wsj, but yeah, if they sell, they get an adaptation, that’s how things work there. Though this being a spy themed thing as well, so of course we’d have some template-esque backstories, like what the main guy had. Dead family, childhood friend.. the cutest and most famous girl at school at that, and then some kind of trauma too.. that’s pretty much it about the main guy lol.

Though yeah, the main girl has a family full of spies, siblings they say they are, so that’s one freak thing for the news, but again, one of them is that guy who acts like the cliche overprotective big brother or something, and one who would be insufferable, at least in the initial stages. Now that sibling battle felt like a one-sided execution, except it wasn’t, because yeah, guys with closed eyes are hella powerful.. plus this one is a creep too.

Dude is some number one hitman or something, but couldn’t stop one weak as fuck guy from putting on a show… by claiming that ring and announcing his intentions to marry the main girl. Really lame of him lol. Though we've a long way to go with this, so this will take some time. For first episode, it was rather decent, nothing more.
Softhenic03Apr 7, 1:37 AM
Apr 7, 1:30 AM

Jul 2017
Another season, and it's yet another Weekly Shonen Jump adaptation, this time of mangaka Hitsuji Gondaira's Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen a.k.a Mission: Yozakura Family, with Silver Link going for another 2-cour non-stop adaptation.

Ikimonogakari's OP is rather fine, just for now.

Taiyo Asano, a high school boy who lost his family when he was young, he has a caretaker in the form of Mutsumi Yozakura, who's been taking care of him like a mother figure, on the jealousy of his friends and even the school's vice principal Hirukawa...who has quite the obsession on Mutsumi. Because he knows something about Mutsumi that Taiyo doesn't know about, beside from him being childhood friends with her. And with Taiyo being brought for a straight assault in Hirukawa's office, but not without him being saved and brought to safety to the Yozakura House..,which his surprised expression is rather natural.

The family of spies, Taiya is taken aback, and even Hirukawa is one of the family's spies as Kyoichiro, the eldest sibling and being overprotective of Mutsumi since he almost hurt her in one of the spy cases previously, of which he has been withhelding his assault on Taiyo. The only way to deal with Kyoichiro is by force, and not even the Yozakura siblings are able to take him down collectively, though there is one way to save him: by getting married to Mutsumi, which is the house rule of no infighting within family members, with an exchange of the double-banded cherry blossom ring. But Mutsumi also knows Taiyo best at how he's being heavily afflicted by the loss of his family, so it's not exactly a choice that she is willing to do.

And Futaba in White, takes control of taking down Kyoichiro in Black after destroying all of the traps in the house, using his unique Steel Spider weapon. Every one of the siblings are no match for Kyoichiro, not even Mutsumi, which he comes out of hiding after the reassurance of her and Kengo, not being able to take Kyoichiro down. More than having similar pasts between him and Kyoichiro, Taiyo takes the plunge to become part of the Yozakura family, by hook or by crook, to learn how to protect Mutsumi...it's really too bad for the siscon.

This will be an exercise in patience because it takes awhile for the manga to get going, and now with the anime with its 2-cour run.
KANLen09Apr 7, 5:56 AM
Apr 7, 1:37 AM

Oct 2011
Amazing first episode

welcome to the Spy family
Apr 7, 1:37 AM
Sep 2015
Taiyo should just let that siscon kill him so that he can meet his deceased family in the afterlife. He won't feel sad anymore.
Apr 7, 1:43 AM

Feb 2021
Have heard a lot of good things about the manga, now let's see what it's about. Also it's 2 cours! But this being on Hulu is a shame, I hope it gets popular anyway somehow.

Mutsumi(六美)- lit. "six beauty"
Asano Taiyo (朝野 太陽)- "morning field + sun"
A karaoke with seasonal anime openings sounds so cool actually.
Knowing that the teacher is actually Mutsumi's brother makes these scenes funny lol. At least to me.
Futaba(二刃)- "two blade"
Shinzo(辛三)- "spicy/tough three"
Shion(四怨)- "four grudges"
Kengo(嫌五)- "dislike five"
Nanao(七悪)- "seven bad/evil"
Kyoichiro(凶一郎)- "evil one son"
I guess the number represent the order they were born.
And 夜桜 (yozakura) - "night cherry blossom"

10:46
"Kyoichiro (Mutsumi LOVE)
Mutsumi ftw.
(Currently not taking commissions)"

13:22 She didn't actually say "sister fetish" here, but okay.

A really good first episode! This was fun. And also I really liked the VAs.

Edit: Where did people get 27 episodes from? Oh well, if this is true, I'm happy.

Edit2: Brother, not father, I knew Kyoichiro was Mutsumi's brother. I don't know why the hell I wrote father at first.
EmbientApr 7, 3:57 AM
Apr 7, 3:16 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That was rather eccentric but kinda fun, bit of an oddball bunch as a main cast
Apr 7, 3:28 AM

Mar 2021
This was pretty good I hope the rest of the episodes are as enjoyable as this.
Apr 7, 3:29 AM
Nov 2023
This anime didn't impress me as much as others I've watched so far.
I may watch a few more episodes, but it's very possible I drop this one.
Apr 7, 3:34 AM

Oct 2021
Reply to gorkthe134th
@gorkthe134th I feel the same this will most likely be a drop after 4-5 eps
Apr 7, 4:26 AM

Sep 2020
Why do Disney+ only do English[CC] subtitles, it’s so distracting 😭
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 4:49 AM
Sep 2016
Exceeded my expectation
Apr 7, 4:53 AM
Apr 2022
Good start to the show
Apr 7, 5:05 AM

Jul 2009
The animation looks ok, the VAs are great, too bad that they skipped some cool manga panels (like Kyoichiro shredding the glass into pieces), probably because it was too hard to animate lol. Also the pacing felt kinda weird and too slow at some moments. But overall, it wasn't bad.
Apr 7, 5:12 AM
May 2015
I liked them already in the Manga, but I really like the characters even more in the show. 27 Episodes is a weird number of episodes though. Makes me assume they have the pacing very clearly planned out and didn't want to cut anything to get to standard size so it should be good.
Apr 7, 5:21 AM
Dec 2020
This was quite a nice premier. I really enjoy the character designs and the ending was cute. I’m looking forward to seeing how the story developed. I hope it does so a bit better than spy x family. I really enjoy both shows. However, i also like when shows progress their stories and characters.

Needless to say, it was fun and I’m happy to start watching this show as it airs.
Apr 7, 5:23 AM

Jan 2016
Yuri_Niji said:
Why do Disney+ only do English[CC] subtitles, it’s so distracting 😭

I know, I hate it too...
Apr 7, 5:27 AM

Jul 2017
Simple episode but I enjoyed it for the most part. Pretty colorful set of characters for the most part, some nice, oddball dumb antics with a nice ending too with Taiyo getting the courage to wear the ring, not just for his own survival but to protect Mutsumi, who's been by his side through his own issues and grief that he experienced. It looks okay visually and the characters managed to shine here. As far as establishing what the series is, feel like this was a decent introduction to what should be a wacky but potentially entertaining watch.
Apr 7, 5:50 AM
Mar 2022
The animation was great, Acting was perfect, but I think the pace was too slow. If they improve that and add more comedy, like I think they will, this is a really good sign.
Apr 7, 5:52 AM
May 2021
Got married in the first episode lol. There will be 27 episodes, so there is a lot to look forward to
Apr 7, 6:08 AM
Apr 2021
I’m so fucking hyped for this it’s one of my favourite manga series ever and I completely forgot how funny the first chapter of this series was I remember them beefing Kyoichiro bc bros such a siscon Ik Ik ppl aren’t gonna like but trust me hes a likeable one tho like bro has not caught a single L yet in the manga💀

And brooooooo the voice casting is fucking elite we got Akari Kitou as the goat elder sister Futaba like I felt like screaming when I heard her voice same with Aoi Yuuki as Shion she sounded like Tatsumaki when she’s angry at Saitama and then we got the motherfucking goat Matsuoka as cat boy Kengo who’s DEFINITELY gonna be a fan favourite and then Kyoichiro is voiced by the same guy who voiced Tengen from Demon Slayer like I CANTTTTTT MAN WERE SO FUCKING BLESSED WITH THIS STACKED VOICE CASTING😭😩😭😩😭😩😭😭😭

This episode was great I’ve never seen Silver Link make such great animation like this before the animation for Shion’s drones was something i wasn’t expecting from them so that’s how you know they’re giving it their all for this show and tbh they should I mean this manga is one of the longest running mangas in Jump as of rn so I’d expect no less🔥

One complaint I do have tho and it’s not a big one it’s just a funny thing that they left out and that was Kengo dressed as a priest blessing Taiyo and Mutsumi on their marriage, Nanao with the confetti, Shinzo with the wedding flowers and Goliath with the fans I wish they’d added that in it was so funny to me that it’s something I could never forget🤣🤣🤣🤣

Treyv0nApr 7, 6:37 AM
Apr 7, 6:18 AM
Jan 2020
Silver Link's 3rd consecutive 2-cour show, will it still move after after 3 months? (Like Ragna Crimson haha) Is the production actually healthy this time?

Find out in the next episode of overworked japanese animators!
RonninnApr 7, 6:36 AM
Apr 7, 6:20 AM
Dec 2018
It was a great debut and you can see that they are giving their all for this show to gain the recognition it deserves, the animation is good, the cast is good, there were lots of trailers, the voice actors talking and doing events, this one would have everything for be a big success, it's a shame it's in the hands of Disney which ruins the chance of any anime being successful, I hope this one at least saves itself and works out.
Apr 7, 6:20 AM

Sep 2009
I should warn people, the first few episodes will be episodic. It doesn't really start running until the main villain is introduced.
Apr 7, 6:22 AM

Sep 2011
Reply to maxellsibswe
The animation was great, Acting was perfect, but I think the pace was too slow. If they improve that and add more comedy, like I think they will, this is a really good sign.
@maxellsibswe the show is mostly a comedy and gets pretty zany fast paced so you should be in for a good time as long as silver link doesnt fuck up. Theres gonna be serious bits but the series is kind of smart in recognizing that it set itself up so cartoonishly that even when it takes itself more seriously it kind of needs to just lean into the absurdity right down the central antagonists being kind of funny but thats getting way ahead of ourselves.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 7:11 AM

Nov 2011
I liked it! It was fun and cute and I think the family so far is super enjoyable!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 7, 7:14 AM

Nov 2020
enjoying it so far, im following the manga so its a nice refresher on what happens during the early chapters
Apr 7, 7:18 AM
Jul 2023
Spy x Family except the way the title sounds when said is actually what it's about.

Overall this was solid. Looks like a pretty colorful (literally and figuratively) and fun cast with a main character I'll be able to empathize with. Though I keep hearing people say that it takes a while to get going, which with the two consecutive cours, it probably will. So I'll reserve full judgment for then.

Though the last scene with Taiyo ripping through Walter C. Dornez-I mean Kyoichiro's string things was pretty cool, I will admit.
Apr 7, 7:18 AM
Oct 2019
Treyv0n said:
I’m so fucking hyped for this it’s one of my favourite manga series ever and I completely forgot how funny the first chapter of this series was I remember them beefing Kyoichiro bc bros such a siscon Ik Ik ppl aren’t gonna like but trust me hes a likeable one tho like bro has not caught a single L yet in the manga💀

And brooooooo the voice casting is fucking elite we got Akari Kitou as the goat elder sister Futaba like I felt like screaming when I heard her voice same with Aoi Yuuki as Shion she sounded like Tatsumaki when she’s angry at Saitama and then we got the motherfucking goat Matsuoka as cat boy Kengo who’s DEFINITELY gonna be a fan favourite and then Kyoichiro is voiced by the same guy who voiced Tengen from Demon Slayer like I CANTTTTTT MAN WERE SO FUCKING BLESSED WITH THIS STACKED VOICE CASTING😭😩😭😩😭😩😭😭😭

This episode was great I’ve never seen Silver Link make such great animation like this before the animation for Shion’s drones was something i wasn’t expecting from them so that’s how you know they’re giving it their all for this show and tbh they should I mean this manga is one of the longest running mangas in Jump as of rn so I’d expect no less🔥

One complaint I do have tho and it’s not a big one it’s just a funny thing that they left out and that was Kengo dressed as a priest blessing Taiyo and Mutsumi on their marriage, Nanao with the confetti, Shinzo with the wedding flowers and Goliath with the fans I wish they’d added that in it was so funny to me that it’s something I could never forget🤣🤣🤣🤣

How far do you think the 27 episodes will adapt the manga ?
Apr 7, 7:22 AM

Sep 2011
I think it was a decent adaption but my fear is the pace feels a little slow, like alot of the delivery and movement felt like there were these longer pauses than need be which has me worried they wont really match the tone it needs, but we will see that more with later chapters cause this first one is admittedly a bit more serious than the series usually gets. Hoping for the best and just hope some of the funnier more energetic moments have the pace it deserves.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 7:24 AM

Apr 2022
welp 27 episodes of this, lets see if silver link holds up. was just an okay episode. not a fan of kyoichiro even after catching up to the manga but i'm gonna stick around with this just for the action.
Apr 7, 7:31 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to komic
I should warn people, the first few episodes will be episodic. It doesn't really start running until the main villain is introduced.
@komic

That's actually a good thing imo. I like it when shounen series establish the characters first before introducing us to some thicker plot.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 7:32 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to JaysonNnN
Treyv0n said:

@JaysonNnN They will defeat the first major villain. If they get further, they may defeat the second.
Apr 7, 7:35 AM
Jun 2021
Very enjoyable first ep!

I liked the premise, and I liked that the creep older brother was actually put in his place in this.

The animation was pretty good imo, and some of the character designs were goofy but I think it fits.

I’m excited to see how this one plays out! Overall, I’d give this first ep an 8/10
Apr 7, 7:41 AM

Dec 2019
Very good. Definitely one of my favs from this season so far. Just pure chaos in that second half and cast seems mostly good too beyond Kyoichiro.
Apr 7, 7:45 AM
Jul 2021
Decent start to the show. I read the first volume of the manga in prep for the anime and I thoight that it introduced the characters better than what they did here, but it was okay.

The animation was pretty good, not spectacular, but more than serviceble.

looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 7, 7:56 AM

Nov 2018
man I wanna give proper thoughts and opinions on this first episode but tbh I've been excited and waiting for this to be adapted since the very first chapter so I think I'm gonna be extremely biased no matter what I try to say wwwwwww

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Apr 7, 7:58 AM

Nov 2018
seeing them move in colour and hearing voices come out of their mouths has literally made my day, I love these characters so much

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Apr 7, 7:59 AM
Apr 2021
JaysonNnN said:
Treyv0n said:

Tbh I think they might just end it off at the Skeleton Island Arc where Ban fights Momo for the briefcase and he escapes I think that’s a good cliffhanger to leave the first season off tbh
Apr 7, 8:04 AM

Jun 2014
Before learning the truth about Kyoichiro I thought he was some weird pedophile obsessing over a student at his school. Turns out he and Mutsumi are part of an eccentric family of spies and he's just an overprotective big brother lol.

I think they established things pretty decently in this first episode, all culminating in Taiyo and Mutsumi "marrying" each other so Taiyo will no longer be a target. The family dynamics and how the story moves forward should be fun to watch.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 7, 8:24 AM

Aug 2022
A disaster experienced by Taiyo is very worrying, even though his childhood friend Mutsumi is now by his side.

The Yozakura Family, Mutsumi Family is also a Spy family. One of their oldest brothers, Kyouichiro, is always very protective of Mutsumi. I didn't expect this battle between brothers to happen, but Kyouichiro seems to have to give in this time. Also I like Taiyo, I like his toughness. I'm glad Taiyo and Mutsumi got married. Lol, this is going to be a wholesome.

RafaBryanApr 7, 8:35 AM
Apr 7, 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
Reply to thebrentinator24
Before learning the truth about Kyoichiro I thought he was some weird pedophile obsessing over a student at his school. Turns out he and Mutsumi are part of an eccentric family of spies and he's just an overprotective big brother lol.

I think they established things pretty decently in this first episode, all culminating in Taiyo and Mutsumi "marrying" each other so Taiyo will no longer be a target. The family dynamics and how the story moves forward should be fun to watch.
@thebrentinator24 here's the nice thing about this series, you don't need quotations around marrying. It aint gonna be the most intimate thing cause this was still a series for teenagers reading shounen jump but they are a no ambiguity real married couple.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Apr 7, 9:04 AM

Jun 2021
What the, seriously?
They are going to end it just there? I wanted to see a little more, Now I have to wait a whole week for that :(

For a first episode, this did not leave enough of a impression but I am looking forward to the next episode.
Yandere_@lover
Apr 7, 9:07 AM

Jul 2022
A decent start, but not too impressive. It has eccentric characters and I was surprised to learn that it will have 27 episodes, so there is training for quite some time. I imagine that the death of Taiyou's family will be forgotten and will have some connection with the world of spies.
Apr 7, 9:47 AM
Mar 2021
gorkthe134th said:

I feel the same. Plus the premise of the show is just dumb imo
Apr 7, 10:43 AM
Jan 2024
Anyone know where this is streaming?
Apr 7, 11:29 AM
Mar 2021
voice acting of Kyouichiro was so good, nailed the creepiness of the character. So good can't wait for the rest to come out.
Apr 7, 12:22 PM

Nov 2023
Taiyo did nothing but almost got murdered by Kyouichirou, crazy.

It was a very fun start, and I hope that continues for the rest of the show.
Apr 7, 12:25 PM
May 2021
the 2 Main char married in first episode, but why no romance tag? There is no romance even though they already married?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 2

21 by YudiYusantoS »»
7 hours ago

» Exceed my expectation !

lightning_angad7 - Jun 2

10 by Macha_Chele »»
Yesterday, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Yozakura-san Chi no Daisakusen Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 26

24 by Zorpanur »»
Jun 2, 11:39 PM

» Is the story going to go anywhere at some point?

dadnaya - May 28

9 by 1qim24 »»
Jun 2, 9:32 PM

» Isn't the show underrated?

Rom-Com_lover - Jun 2

9 by Antisocial-Weeb »»
Jun 2, 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.