Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 31, 12:51 AM

Dec 2021
Advance screening event.
https://mahouka.jp/news/?id=64944

After a whopping 10 years since the first season, we're back for more of Tsutomu Sato's Mahouka, a.k.a the OG brother-sister love complex anime, or, in other words, incest.

After a tumultuous year, the lives of siblings Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba began to evolve as they entered their second year as students. Sharing their living space with Minami Sakurai, dispatched to them by the Yotsuba Family, the dynamics shifted. Tatsuya found himself enrolled in the newly established Department of Magical Engineering. Despite his hopes for a tranquil school life alongside Miyuki, the world had other plans. With his new academic schedule and role as acting student council Vice President, Tatsuya hoped for peace this year, yet fate had different intentions. The arrival of three disruptive students from esteemed Numbered families shattered any illusions of calm, setting the stage for another chapter of chaos and upheaval.

I can't believe I'm living in a timeline where not only is Aniplex bringing back Kuroshitsuji, but also, out of everything in their catalog, Mahouka... lol. Not a great move though, 'cause the super strong undercover genre is overdone. For all the new-gens, Gojo is basically your Tatsuya, but instead of Gojo wanting Geto, Tatsuya wants his sister. But at the same time, you need that trashy power fantasy show that also has other aspects to it, cough incest cough. On another note, the animation is looking crisp as fuck. Ten years weren't wasted for nothing. Speaking of ten years, it only took us ten years and three seasons for Tatsuya and the gang to finally become second years, and it looks like we're going into another one of those tournament things from season 1 (which, by the way, in my opinion, was the only good part of season 1). Hopefully, we do see another tournament arc because, not gonna lie, Tatsuya was kind of a badass during it. This first episode was solid, though the first interactions between the Saegusa twins and Tatsuya had a bit of a slow pace. But yeah, it's nice to see the gang again after so long.

A damn good start, to say the least, and as if season 2 wasn't already rushed with just one arc. Now, this season has to cover THREE arcs in only 13 episodes. The pacing is going to suck, isn't it?
IzanaSolosMar 31, 5:57 PM

Apr 4, 1:51 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
Advance screening event.

After a whopping 10 years since the first season, we're back for more of Tsutomu Sato's Mahouka, a.k.a the OG brother-sister love complex anime, or, in other words, incest.

After a tumultuous year, the lives of siblings Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba began to evolve as they entered their second year as students. Sharing their living space with Minami Sakurai, dispatched to them by the Yotsuba Family, the dynamics shifted. Tatsuya found himself enrolled in the newly established Department of Magical Engineering. Despite his hopes for a tranquil school life alongside Miyuki, the world had other plans. With his new academic schedule and role as acting student council Vice President, Tatsuya hoped for peace this year, yet fate had different intentions. The arrival of three disruptive students from esteemed Numbered families shattered any illusions of calm, setting the stage for another chapter of chaos and upheaval.

I can't believe I'm living in a timeline where not only is Aniplex bringing back Kuroshitsuji, but also, out of everything in their catalog, Mahouka... lol. Not a great move though, 'cause the super strong undercover genre is overdone. For all the new-gens, Gojo is basically your Tatsuya, but instead of Gojo wanting Geto, Tatsuya wants his sister. But at the same time, you need that trashy power fantasy show that also has other aspects to it, cough incest cough. On another note, the animation is looking crisp as fuck. Ten years weren't wasted for nothing. Speaking of ten years, it only took us ten years and three seasons for Tatsuya and the gang to finally become second years, and it looks like we're going into another one of those tournament things from season 1 (which, by the way, in my opinion, was the only good part of season 1). Hopefully, we do see another tournament arc because, not gonna lie, Tatsuya was kind of a badass during it. This first episode was solid, though the first interactions between the Saegusa twins and Tatsuya had a bit of a slow pace. But yeah, it's nice to see the gang again after so long.

A damn good start, to say the least, and as if season 2 wasn't already rushed with just one arc. Now, this season has to cover THREE arcs in only 13 episodes. The pacing is going to suck, isn't it?
@IzanaSolos
IzanaSolos said:

Laughs in OreImo
Not the OG
Apr 5, 2:52 AM
Apr 2021
I still can’t believe Godsuya is back
Apr 5, 7:56 AM
Aug 2022
For real this is out already in advance?!! Well I'm happy this got back with some new characters. Just remembered this started 10 years ago exactly on this month if I'm not wrong.
Ricky16Apr 5, 8:02 AM
Apr 5, 7:57 AM

May 2020
Tbh, I remember very little of whatever happened back in the second season, even though the gap this time isn’t as long as it was with the first season, but yeah that’s just this series.. being as unremarkable as one could be.

Anyways, not even the first few minutes, and again Miyuki started sounding like the broken record she is… “oUr rElAtiOnsHiP hAs cHaNgEd fRoM wHaT iT wAs sOmE yEaRs aGo”, I mean dude we get it, don’t have to repeat the same thing in every new instalment lol. Rest just felt like a reintroduction to the cast and a new character that is, if he’s actually new and I’m not forgetting him that is. Good thing that one tournament will be in this season, as only those kind of things actually don't put to sleep directly while watching this series…

… I mean look when we had to go through the same segment of HanaKana’s character and Tatsuya again, which I feel we’ve already covered back in the last season. Could care less about her sisters and anything, just focus on the lore which we gonna see in this first arc lol, and the attempts of not making that skull thing look as weak as someone could be when he'll fare against Tatsuya.
Softhenic03Apr 5, 8:19 AM
Apr 5, 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverApr 5, 5:00 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 5, 7:59 AM

Nov 2010
just introduction of new faces. anyway, it's good that character design hasn't changed to wrong way.
Apr 5, 8:08 AM

Jul 2015
What is this with ma boi Yuuichi Nakamura always voicing Gary Stu characters? 🤣

Apr 5, 8:16 AM

Nov 2011
Well, Aniplex with their studio and producers definitely put effort into the animation quality.

Been awhile since I've seen this franchise but hey, it's Mahouka. Miyuki is back with her ONIISAMA again. Looks like they reintroduced a lot of the main and supporting cast already. Didn't even take more than one episode and we get Tatsuya being himself. Not going to lie, I think the comedy was rather cringe, at least protrayed in the way that it felt awkward. The final few minutes were more ominous and seems to be setting up for bigger events again. We'll see what what kind of role that Skull guy has in stored.

OP Song is clean. I think the plus side is the animation quality so far. We'll see how long they can keep it up.
Apr 5, 9:36 AM

Feb 2021
Mahouka is back! The episode count doesn't appear to be announced yet, here's hoping that it'll be 2 cours. In the trailers it was shown that this season will adapt the Double Seven Arc, Steeplechase Arc, and Ancient City Insurrection Arc btw (4 LN volumes).

Azusa! (A-chan) Iirc she barely appeared in season 2 (if at all).
17:55 I love this shot so much lmao.

LiSA singing the opening 🙏. The lyrics also include references to Rising Hope (season 1 OP1), really cool! The logo had "Double Seven" written near the title, so it makes me think that there'll be a new one for each arc.
I have no idea where this arc will go, but seems fun.
Apr 5, 9:52 AM
May 2021
Nice start + the quality as good as ever!
Apr 5, 9:59 AM
May 2022
From all this time I've been waiting for the continuation, and now it's paid off. quite my impression for this episode, with the opener returning with a song by LiSA.
For this episode I am quite curious about what will be shown in the future, and it is still not revealed until what episode this show will end, but hope to be made into 2 cour.
The ending of the episode is enough to make me question (especially I'm not an LN reader) which is curious how they will carry the LN story well this season.

Yes, the animation has been quite good, considering how the second season was, also I am quite hopeful for the actions that will be shown in the future.
Apr 5, 10:34 AM

Feb 2019
PEAAAAAK incest is back let’s gooo. What a fucking first episode. 8bit upped their game tremendously. Better animation, better art, better direction. Not sure if it’s the same team or what, but this felt as good if not better than season 1 under madhouse. Plus LiSA back on the op 😮‍💨😮‍💨 real anime is here.

Nice mix of world building and set up for this arc, while also giving us some of that good old mahouka harem and brocon goodness that we love. The new first years seem interesting, especially this Shippou fella. That ice stare Miyuki gave him when he started disrespecting Tatsuya had me dying. Bro saw his life flash before him 😂

Always good seeing Mayumi, was worried that after she graduated we wouldn’t see her as much, but with her little sisters at school she’s still very much part of the story. She and Tatsuya always have such fun scenes full of misunderstandings and their little flirting scene at the entrance ceremony was great. Tatsuya was cooking her unintentionally lol

Her sisters are a riot too, especially izumi. She took one look at Miyuki and fell in love, don’t blame her at all. Asking Miyuki to be her big sister in front of her actual big sister is crazy though lmao

Yor and Yami are here too! Crazy entrance, that animation on the boat scene was insane. If they’re gonna give us that consistently during this arc which is already peak story wise.. we’re really gonna eat.

Can’t wait to see where this season goes and it’s so good to be back.
Marinate1016Apr 5, 11:26 AM
Apr 5, 10:37 AM

Oct 2017
Onii sama's back, been patiently waiting for this. So happy to see everyone again. The starting few minutes sure looked ominous but rest of the episode was hella amusing.

Mayumi destroyed in seconds by Tatsuya lol. So glad to have more of Mayumi senpai and her imoutos. It'll be fun to have the twins around but I'm gonna miss Mayumi senpai so much now that she has graduated. Hope we still get to see her a lot. Also Miyuki being Miyuki, love her too. OP song by LiSA was great. So excited!
Apr 5, 11:03 AM
Apr 2021
Whats with the animation? I feels off
Apr 5, 11:27 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Nice to see the gang again and as second years too. As well as the bundle of joy that is Eimi. Mayumi sure's changed quite a bit as well. But man Tatsuya sure didn't spare his punches in his analysis of her. The twins sure were a nice contrast that complemented them perfectly. Miyuki sure has quite the fan in Izumi. Always nice to see the Kuroba siblings. Overall a fun ep that featured a good blend of new character intros, villain hints and a welcome back for the OG cast as well. Im hoping that Minimi's training chapter was simply moved and not skipped.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 11:33 AM

May 2021
feels good to watch this again!!! interesting direction/storyboard overall for this ep! the animation felt different from before but it's good. the fisheye angles were really cool. the cut/fight at 19:32-19:55 was excellent, reminded me of a tanaka cut (trying to search who did the cut but idk)

Apr 5, 11:37 AM

Mar 2015
Finally we are back at it.
As expected, Shittou and the twins are as annoying as I remembered them from the LN.

Well, I am here for the world-building anyway.
Lets see how the main story advances in the background.

Animation looked very rough but I guess its only natural because this is basically an ordered project to celebrate the anniversary without any/little passion behind it.
Apr 5, 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
Im so glad it's back, the interaction with Saegusa three sisters were suuuuuper nice, new faces getting introduced. And the blend of 3d in the background here and there is very nice, barely noticeable and doesn't affect much. Love me some good old Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Apr 5, 11:42 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
Advance screening event.

@IzanaSolos It has 25 or 24 eps, like the first season
Apr 5, 11:43 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Embient
Mahouka is back! The episode count doesn't appear to be announced yet, here's hoping that it'll be 2 cours. In the trailers it was shown that this season will adapt the Double Seven Arc, Steeplechase Arc, and Ancient City Insurrection Arc btw (4 LN volumes).

Azusa! (A-chan) Iirc she barely appeared in season 2 (if at all).
17:55 I love this shot so much lmao.

LiSA singing the opening 🙏. The lyrics also include references to Rising Hope (season 1 OP1), really cool! The logo had "Double Seven" written near the title, so it makes me think that there'll be a new one for each arc.
I have no idea where this arc will go, but seems fun.
@Embient It will have 2 cours
Apr 5, 11:48 AM
Jan 2014
Cap_21_Marv said:
@IzanaSolos It has 25 or 24 eps, like the first season

Thats the best news I've heard today. With 24 episodes we might get to the Yotsuba succession arc.
Apr 5, 12:01 PM

Feb 2021
Cap_21_Marv said:
@Embient It will have 2 cours

Nothing confirmed yet
Apr 5, 12:33 PM
Jun 2015
I was 21 when I saw this 10 years ago now I'm 31. And even Lisa's doing the opening and it sounds soooo similar to the first one lol
Apr 5, 12:34 PM
Jun 2015
Reply to rooselrat
Whats with the animation? I feels off
@rooselrat No Madhouse sorry.
Apr 5, 12:47 PM
Jun 2022
so finally tasuya and the rest are back with new characters got to read the light novel a bit and I'm hyped to see some moments to get adopted
Apr 5, 12:50 PM

Apr 2018
It surely feels surreal to know that the last season aired in 2020. Here we are 4 years later with the third season of this. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss this. Tatsuya's character is one of the best I've seen both in writing and design.

Well, they are second years now with improved standars in the school as there is a new department for magicial engineering. He is now a member of the student council instead of the other comittee. I really liked the scene with Mayumi and her two sisters, even though it was a bit cringe, it wasn't bad.
They should really tone the sibling love down a bit at this point, but what can we do.

Seems like we're seeing new faces this season and still not done with the group that hates magicans.
The animation looks kinda great, even better than before.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 5, 1:15 PM

Nov 2014
of course they had to introduce someone with sister complex who hates the protagonist with absolutely no good reason just coz he chats with her sister,knowing tatsuya and all im sick of these generic characters
other than that this start has been pretty solid,it seems like it'll be an even better season maybe ? im glad the animation stays the same
Apr 5, 1:25 PM

Mar 2013
Perfect comeback!
I hope to get more of this! 😆

Saegusa is my best girl for this series.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 5, 2:12 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Hm we will see whats going on soon enough i think. It was okay.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 5, 2:40 PM
Jan 2021
Artstyle and animations are looking super clean, Jimmy Stone is cooking as a director
Apr 5, 3:15 PM

May 2021
Oh yeah we are soooo back baby. I think I had a smile on my face the entire episode, seeing all of the characters again and meeting the new ones was awesome. Per usual the music was on point top tier. Glad this series is getting a budget, it's one of my favorites to chill and watch.
Apr 5, 3:24 PM

Sep 2018
Had to watch a couple recap videos detailing the first season, then read up on the second season, to completely refresh my memory of this series XD

Apr 5, 3:31 PM
Jul 2021
Missed this series a lot, look forward to seeing tatsuya go god mode on some MF's again.
Apr 5, 3:41 PM

Nov 2017
Tatsuya and Mayumi should just start dating,and then have a spin off series just with them.It'd be hilarious!!!
CrazyButNot4U said:

Saegusa is my best girl for this series.

Totally agree,Mayumi is by far the best!!!
That scene with them both,and then the twins and Miyuki and Minami was just peak Mahouka!!!
Not often you get an anime that has good action,and comedy like that.
StarhammerApr 5, 3:47 PM
Apr 5, 5:04 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to Horizon248
Oh yeah we are soooo back baby. I think I had a smile on my face the entire episode, seeing all of the characters again and meeting the new ones was awesome. Per usual the music was on point top tier. Glad this series is getting a budget, it's one of my favorites to chill and watch.
@Horizon248 Tatsuya is one of my fav protagonists
Apr 5, 5:06 PM
Jun 2014
Apr 5, 5:13 PM

May 2021
Reply to FiddlePie
@Horizon248 Tatsuya is one of my fav protagonists
@FiddlePie You my friend are cultured. Tatsuya always delivers on great vibes. One of the few "over powered" protagonists that I really like. Another one that comes to mind is Anos Voldigoad and I see him on your profile hahaha. We are eating good this season!
Apr 5, 5:15 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to Horizon248
@FiddlePie You my friend are cultured. Tatsuya always delivers on great vibes. One of the few "over powered" protagonists that I really like. Another one that comes to mind is Anos Voldigoad and I see him on your profile hahaha. We are eating good this season!
@Horizon248 Yep. Tatsuya is one of those protagonists we don't rarely see. Calm and collected and doesn't blush when talking to a girl like other main characters. And yeah Anos is also a great one. That's why I have those two on my profile.
Apr 5, 5:56 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
You know the show’s truly back when he’s got his oniisama mode on and surrounded by girls. Add a new prospective character who doubts his abilities, and that’s basically the complete package, xD.

Jokes aside, this was a decent start to the 3rd season. Honestly, I can’t say I remember too much from Season 2 but it seems like the perpetrators will be back to cause some havoc. I’m curious to see what their endgame is.

Animation-wise, this was pretty good! Saegusa-senpai with the entertaining cameo too and Lisa’s op, this is shaping up to be a fun affair!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 5, 6:03 PM
Apr 2023
Ah I kinda missed this series. I missed the colorful cast and the world lore of this series, and also incestuous but not-really that incestuous relationship of Tatsuya and Miyuki, if you're not an anime-only you know what I mean
Anyway, looking forward to more of this!
Apr 5, 6:44 PM

Feb 2019
Good start to the season; it's the calm before the storm, and all the new characters introduced seemed like a colorful bunch. I think Minami ships Mayumi and Tatsuya, to Miyuki's disappointment and earning mixed feelings from Mayumi's younger twin sibs lol
Apr 5, 6:54 PM

Mar 2018
one thing I will say is that there are definitely scenes that got better treatment and more time spent than others.
Apr 5, 7:37 PM

Jan 2011
i can't believe im still watching this series after 10 years lol... i can't say i liked most of what i watched but i was mostly trying to remember all the characters and what happened since it's somehow been 4 years already since the last one

years ago i would've said i hate Tatsuya for being a god op character but now a days those are a dime a dozen and it's kinda nice seeing one like him that's pretty chill collected and respectful.

lets see how long i can last with this being on a friday i might have more or less important things to watch once the season is fully out
Apr 5, 7:46 PM
Jan 2020
Onii-sama is back after the pandemic in 2020 and I don't absolutely remember shit

Wild it's already been 4 years
Apr 5, 8:44 PM
Apr 2013
S3 EP1

So yeah. mahouka. what do i even say
For starters, its been 10 years since s1 aired in 2014.
In the mean time since we've had the anime original movie, visitor arc, even the spinoff, and the ova.
I actually was planning on watching the ova but eh whatever. shrug. me: its not important
Aside from that so. its a strange case because for once, i'm the light novel reader
Except that its been so long i barely remember anything that happened in this arc

So in this arc. it's now year 2, meaning the "3rd years" mayumi and co have graduated, tatsuya and co are now 2nd years, and we have a new batch of first years, the twins. also the rest of the first years, double seven arc, etc.
I legitimately dont remember what happens in this arc, but uh.
S1 adapted 6 novels in 24 eps, but this season is only 12 eps. visistor arc was also 3 vols but it was weird. and lina isnt here anymore.
At least shizuku is back but still

So yeah with that rambling out of the way uh. i'll be honest, mahouka s1, despite it being 24 eps i barely remember what happened in it. and the visistor arc was one big woosh, so Honestly I'm not even sure why I'm still here. oh well.
Mahouka has always been a weird one, where i cant say that i like it but there's like something weird about it

Anyway so yeah that was literally the whole first ep, a ton of talking. just talking
And basically introducing our new first years, even if most of them had very little lines

The funny thing is minami is not in the ending shot of the op

All things considered, if I'm being honestly a really mediocre first episode

So uhm. off the top of my head i dont think i can say who minami is. i can guess but uhh
Kasumi i believe should be kitamura eri, but i've already seen her before
Izumi though im not sure
The other two i mean uh.

Minami is kiyono yasuno. which makes sense I guess but I cant say I'm really familiar with her.
UHM. Izumi is yuki aoi apparently. Which is like, one of the rare times I did not instantly recognize her. What can I say
Apr 5, 9:03 PM

Jan 2008
I've been waiting so long for this series to come back, with the spinoff and whatnot coming first, and I'm so glad it's finally here. Rewatching the end of season 2, I see that they completely changed the meeting between the Saegusa twins and Tatsuya, as well as when Minami started living the Shiba siblings. Not that I'm complaining at all, just pointing out the bit of trivia. Maybe even the animators forgot how it was left off because it's been so long, lol.

The Saegusa twins were funny. I like how it nearly became a Maria-sama ga Miteru scenario.

Shippo sounds like he's calling himself a tail when he puts so much emphasis on saying his name. Looks like he's going to be a jackass pissant.

Looking forward to next week~
Apr 5, 11:01 PM

Mar 2007
I'm glad the animation quality hasn't gone downhill, and the characters still look like they should.

One of the Saegusa twins being "into" his sister was the cherry on top of the cake this episode.
Apr 6, 1:40 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to IzanaSolos
Advance screening event.

@IzanaSolos I'm so happy for the show except the incest part.
I hope the kill that part, cuz that sister incest shit is pretty annoying from season 1, hope the dude is under a spell that he'd break out of.
Apr 6, 1:42 AM

Mar 2015
What are people on about saying the animation is good?

The animation sucks now. They dropped the ball hard for S3. Wtf!?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» #fyi

mufarari - May 17

2 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 17

33 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10

28 by Comander-07 »»
May 19, 2:53 PM

» 6 Volumes in 13 episodes

Ronninn - Apr 11

4 by Alexioos95 »»
May 17, 11:15 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3

38 by Comander-07 »»
May 17, 3:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.