Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 27, 12:10 AM
Apr 2020
i cried like full on cried I haven't done that in years
Mar 27, 2:01 AM

Feb 2022
What an ending.
Great series absolute one of the best in more recent years.
Mar 27, 5:10 AM
Dec 2022
The moment when Lakan met Fengxian I cried lmao.
Mar 27, 8:47 AM
Aug 2014
Reply to LetMeLemur
@Estoy_Gordo YES THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I've never hated a character (who isn't even supposed to be an "antagonist") as much as that old hag. Villains can do horrendous thinks and still be an interesting character unfortunately she's neither. Tbh I was surprised by the lack of hate she seemed to be getting (yes ik this episode just came out - I'm referring when I was reading the manga in the comments). Also surprised by the user here who unreasonably despises Lakan even after this episode. After I had read the corresponding chapter for this episode, Lakan actually became my favorite character beating out Maomao by not quite a landslide by a sizable chunk nonetheless. I won't say Lakan is completely free of any blame but if there's any sole person responsible for this whole thing it's undoubtedly the granny.

Anyway I'm just rambling here but it's nice to see that I'm not the only on who hates the granny lol. You also worded the reasons for it way better than I could've so thanks for that :D
@LetMeLemur

One reason why the anime is so good is that it shows that people are not black and white, they are not bad or good. I thought Lakan was a bad, evil character plotting something BUT it turns out the way he is, the way he turned out, was not just because of him. He was thrown in to situations that he had no (little) control over. Falling in love with a courtesan, she liking him also, she wanting him to buy her out after she got pregnant, him having his dad send him away for work and not knowing, coming back after 3 years and not being able to see her and not knowing where she went, etc, etc. Him having the issue with not being able to see people's faces, causing him to not get along with anyone but her. Don't you think situations make a person's upbringing and character? Yes, he was an ass, but it's all because of his situation.

Now you can say the granny is the worst. She threw out Fengxian after she got pregnant, she had to work on the streets to make a living and got her illness. HOWEVER, that's is how things are done in those days. A company is not going to keep you on their payroll if you are not making them any money. Then you realize that she took her back in, kept her fed and taken care of, after she got syphilis, for free, for potentially her whole life. Maybe she realized her mistake. The granny also took care of Fengxian's daughter, gave her a job there, not working as a courtesan. I also don't think she remembers or know that Lakan was the guy who came back for Fengxian more than 10 years ago.

This episode was very good. One of the best. Loved the dance at the end also.
Mar 27, 9:31 AM
Mar 2022
Could use more Maomao, I don't like the old guy but at least we get the lore. :3
Mar 27, 1:40 PM

May 2015
Mao Mao's dance at the end was very beautiful.

Very nice and interesting show. Hype to see second season.
Mar 28, 4:35 AM
Sep 2021
Amazing dance by maomao, a good season, I'm interested to watch more seasons of it. See you all in 2025 for S2.
Mar 28, 5:32 AM
Dec 2016
Well at least both have happy endings

Also, I understand that headbutt ahhh really jinshi I did not expect it, but I do at the same time
I hope the season two is still good like this season 1 though

rate would be 10/10
such a nice story and characters (after a long time of not watching anime but this made me watch till end)
Mar 28, 9:01 AM
Oct 2014
Didnt enjoy how the animation changed so much portraying MaoMao. Feels a little too fanservish
Mar 28, 7:05 PM

Feb 2019
Stupid granny keeping Fenxian away from Lakan all this time. Glad he brought her out so he can finally be with her.

Maomao cruel move on Jinshi in the end not giving him a kiss. He's really not that bad. Give the man some attention fgs.

Mar 28, 10:55 PM

Oct 2017
So the Lakan dude wasn't that bad at the end, the story made me cry so hard. I'm glad they gave us the scene of Maomao dancing that was shown over and over again in the OP. The quality in every aspect of this anime deserves another season for sure, it has it all. Let's see us next year guys, keep it up till then lol
-¡Give yourself to me!
Mar 29, 1:20 AM
Feb 2023
It's a very beautiful anime
Mar 29, 4:42 AM
Feb 2021
Great!!!! Amazing!!!
Mar 29, 2:11 PM

Mar 2013
The one who was somehow a bad guy at first, was actually a doting father... 🥲
Seriously, the previous episodes about her father seems like a joke after the reveal.

I will miss these two's interactions.
CrazyButNot4UMar 29, 3:16 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 29, 2:54 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lakan could finally meet with Maomao's mother again and buy it, Maomao's dance after that was beautiful (almost fell and died but got saved by Jinshi lol) great ending! Can't wait for S2, this show became better and better in the 2nd half
Mar 29, 10:19 PM

Aug 2016
I am going to miss this Anime a lot only for the sole reason that it is Maomao, very few female characters have that personality that you really like, it monopolizes the entire Anime, for me the best character of the season.
Mar 31, 2:42 AM

Jun 2020
I feel like I did not sympathize with Lakan as much as others but him buying out Maomao's mom was still very sweet. I can't believe he didn't get the hint of the wilted rose though lol. It was nice to see Maomao and Jinshi have one final scene together and for a second season to be confirmed.

Now for my general thoughts on this show: It has every single thing I love in a story! It had an episodic formula, but still had status quo changes, and the episodic mysteries still all connected in a satisfying way. I also just love mystery shows and a slow burn romance (one is obviously happening between Maomao and Jinshi). A strong side cast like Lihaku the GOAT etc etc. Great production value, it knew when to be serious and when to have comedy. I have deeper thoughts but this is all just off the top of my head. I just loved this show and I'm debating whether or not I should start reading the manga. This series has been on my radar for a long time now, but once I saw the anime announced I knew it was best to wait, and to wait for it to finish airing so I could binge it as well. Such an amazing experience. I also loved all the OPs and EDs. I can't stress how great this was and also how amazing Maomao is as a character. Easy 10/10

ps my favorite episodes were 1-20, did not mind 21 since it focused on Lihaku. I did not feel as attached to 22-24 but I feel like they were necessary for wrapping up the Lakan ordeal.
DumbMar 31, 2:50 AM
Mar 31, 7:08 AM
Jan 2024
We'll see what happens in the second season.
Mar 31, 8:42 AM
Jan 2017
simply a Masterpiece
Mar 31, 12:59 PM
Jun 2023
The perfect ending for this anime. I honestly would not change a thing!
Mar 31, 11:53 PM
Feb 2024
hope to see seasson 2
Apr 2, 10:40 AM
Feb 2015
Good ending, finally we can see Maomao dance. You little kitty teasing us till the end do you maomao. That reunited scene of Lakan and Fenx xian is touching and heartwarming, after what they been through.It relieve to see Maomao let go of her past and didn't resent anyone. Maomao and Jingshi is love dovey as usual.

Looking forward for season 2!. Thanks animator for giving us this gorgeous anime. Love maomao and Jinshi and everyone in it.
Apr 3, 2:39 PM

Nov 2013
nice of Lacan to finally buy his loved woman, even tho it's kind of late and she probably won't last long
speaking of him, i guess he wasn't as bad as i thought, he was just a bit unlucky and lost, but the way he thought about other people was a bit mean lol

Maomao's dance was nice to watch, i love the dress too

i wonder what she meant by "i wanted to see Meimei off" , did she get bought? or did she go with Maomao's mom to Lacan's house? (edit: or i guess Maomao was just sending off her mother instead, no idea...)

that Jinshi jump off was pretty cool not gonna lie, he is stronger than he looks lol (i mean we see him training sometimes)

anyway, this 1st season is done, 2nd season already got announced, yay

not gonna lie, Maomao is easily one of my favorite ever girls, not only she is knowledgeable, helpful and pretty (when she isn't hiding her beauty with those frekles lol) , but she is also super funny when she gets excited with something, in her case, mostly poisons or medicine, and her crazy faces/laughs are great

i also enjoyed many of the other characters, like Jinshi, his guard, her adoptive father, the 3 brothel princesses (i guess even the oldie too), the 2 high concubines (Rifa and Gyokuyou, i guess we didn't see enough of the others for me to like or hate them lol) as well as some of the other girls, like her friend Xiaolan, or Gyokuyou's attendants)

easiest 10 of my life, now to wait for s2 :D
winddevil1Apr 3, 2:57 PM
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 3, 3:54 PM

Aug 2020
Glad to have watched this one. Kusuriya no Hitorigoto has a nice production and story. Good to see that a 2nd season will be on its way.

Apr 3, 3:55 PM

Aug 2020
Also Maomao's dance was truly outstanding.

Apr 3, 8:38 PM
Feb 2024
Really liked it, but some episodes seemed off (one felt like an adaptation from an RPG game out of nowhere). However, most of the anime was really good :)
Apr 5, 7:54 PM
Mar 2020
مالكم شغل
Apr 6, 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
So, Maomao's biological parents have been reunited at last. It's for the best.

Also, Maomao's dance was quite elegant.

Overall, this anime was pretty good. I'll definitely be checking out the second season when it comes out. :)

Apr 6, 5:30 PM
May 2023
im squirming in my seat waiting what do i do HELP
Apr 6, 5:32 PM
Jul 2008
Reply to Gasaraki-
@LetMeLemur

One reason why the anime is so good is that it shows that people are not black and white, they are not bad or good. I thought Lakan was a bad, evil character plotting something BUT it turns out the way he is, the way he turned out, was not just because of him. He was thrown in to situations that he had no (little) control over. Falling in love with a courtesan, she liking him also, she wanting him to buy her out after she got pregnant, him having his dad send him away for work and not knowing, coming back after 3 years and not being able to see her and not knowing where she went, etc, etc. Him having the issue with not being able to see people's faces, causing him to not get along with anyone but her. Don't you think situations make a person's upbringing and character? Yes, he was an ass, but it's all because of his situation.

Now you can say the granny is the worst. She threw out Fengxian after she got pregnant, she had to work on the streets to make a living and got her illness. HOWEVER, that's is how things are done in those days. A company is not going to keep you on their payroll if you are not making them any money. Then you realize that she took her back in, kept her fed and taken care of, after she got syphilis, for free, for potentially her whole life. Maybe she realized her mistake. The granny also took care of Fengxian's daughter, gave her a job there, not working as a courtesan. I also don't think she remembers or know that Lakan was the guy who came back for Fengxian more than 10 years ago.

This episode was very good. One of the best. Loved the dance at the end also.
@Gasaraki- Granny definitely knew that Lakan was the guy from 10 years ago, that's the reason she keeps refusing him. If Meimei know, why shouldn't granny know too?

According to some people, Fengxian is Granny's daughter which makes Maomao is her granddaughter. She forced her daughter to street and keep pushing Maomao to become courtesan.

She gave Maomao job to make her pay back for her mother loss. If Maomao isn't smart and her adoptive father was not Luomen, she may already became a courtesan.

Take cares her for free? She hold Fengxian hostage so that Maomao won't run away, and because she's daughter of a courtesan then automatically Maomao is a property of the brothel until Jinshi bought her for exorbintant price.

After Lakan bought Fengxian, Granny rakes even more money which pale in comparison on the money granny spent taking care of her. They even have 7 days of party instead of normal 3 days to show how much money Lakan spent. I can just lol when you want to normalize her actions.

But without the greedy granny, there will be no story. Maomao will be living with her parents happily without all this drama.
Apr 7, 5:34 PM

Apr 2023
Maomao is undoubtedly the newcomer MC of the year 2023.

Hoping for at least a FuRyu or PUP of her in the dancer outfit.
Apr 8, 2:15 PM

Sep 2014

I thought the old granny worked together with Maomao on this, why shelter Fengxian all this time otherwise? And why was she so opposed to her beeing bought? Is she her daughter?

Why didnt Maomao just tell him she is still alive, I swear this could have been cut short, especially when it seems like she is about to die soon.. Meimei had to save the ship.

Fingertips grow back???

I dont know anything about the customs for the courtesan houses but 7 days and nights of celebration seems excessive. How much money does Lakan have?! Talk about wealth inequality.

Overall loved the show, I liked the rear palace setting more but the second cour had a nice twist with Lakan as well. The Mary Sue like detective Maomao episodes in the second cour were a bit eh though. Without those/if the cour 1 thrill had continued this would have been a 9/10 for me.

I dont remember when a show surprised me like this the last time, I binged 15 eps on the spot when I started it, I wanted to watch 1 and go to sleep lol.

The production quality was amazing. 8/10

Very much looking forward to season 2 now! We are blessed with lots of great shows lately.

PS: They play it off for laughs but the granny is the real villain of this plot
Comander-07Apr 8, 2:46 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 10, 10:02 AM

Jul 2013
At least there's already a sequel confirmed. Can't wait to see more of detective/doctor/gardener Maomao. Though I just gotta say, the way Maomao is so indifferent towards her biological mom and dad, it's kinda off putting.

Apr 11, 12:27 AM
Mar 2024
ITS SO GOOD! NEED THE 2ND SEASON ASAP
Apr 11, 12:28 AM
Mar 2024
ITS SO GOOD! NEED THE 2ND SEASON ASAP
Apr 11, 7:03 AM
Apr 2023
there was a clifhanger but it isnt realy that bad, just a little one.
Apr 11, 2:07 PM

Jul 2022
well lakan turned out to be a pretty good guy, just very unlucky.. well i guess the real unlucky one here is maomao's mother but anyway
great anime loved it alot 10/10 can't wait for next season
Apr 11, 7:05 PM
Jan 2016
Simplemente otro aire para el anime actual. Lo amé
Apr 11, 7:15 PM
Oct 2020
it was simply so good amazing
Apr 11, 8:14 PM

Dec 2020
Maomao is such a little gremlin, I love it.

Well lakan got a happy ending and the situation itself was turned around to having her mother be more of the twisted one.

Ignoring the historical fiction setting and how twisted the environmental situation really is if you really think about it, it was very cutesy at times. Started off like I was watching House with all the medical mystery solving, it slowly turned to more random puzzles with amped up drama which was still good, just not the same. Can't wait for that s2!
Apr 12, 1:01 AM
Nov 2019
Great Show recomend to everyone
Apr 12, 6:48 AM

Dec 2022
Maomao, you got his hopes up for... That?!

Can't wait for season 2, hopefully they'll get together then.
Apr 15, 12:09 AM

Feb 2019
maomao and jinshi's relationship is one of those you can't get enough of. their flirtation just makes their spectators want them to end up together. i can't wait for season 2 now lol
Apr 19, 5:12 AM
Feb 2024
Such a great series
Apr 19, 10:44 AM
Jul 2016
I... didn't expect to binge this anime wtf. wasn't this just well made?? I mean the quality totally blew me away. from the OST, animation, pacing, Voice Acting and casted VAs, it was pretty much amazingly adapted.

Awesome episode to end it and an immediate announcement for Season 2. I'm just totally blown away that this was so well made. So much so that I actually regret ignoring the Light Novels thinking it was just an average LN.
Apr 19, 6:35 PM
Nov 2010
Oooh this really tugged at my heartstrings. When Lakan hears Fengxian’s beautiful voice after Meimei opens the door… and when he goes running toward her and decides he’ll only take her no matter the cost… when they show her through HIS eyes, without her scarring from her illness… he only saw her beauty as he did when he first met her… and then when he starts tearing up… SO DID I 🥺 such a tragic love story. But what is really sad is the trauma Maomao went through as a result of her mother’s heartbreak… if only Lakan wasn’t away for much longer than he’d expected and if only he’d seen her letters sooner 😞 Maomao has gone through so much in her life, I feel for her. I can’t wait for a season 2! I’m just beyond upset that we didn’t get a kiss between Maomao and Jinshi! Poor Jinshi really thought she was leaning in for one but no, our girl Maomao is forever a troll lol.
Apr 21, 5:39 AM
Mar 2016
waiting for season 2 & 3
Apr 22, 5:59 PM

Feb 2009
I'm glad Lakan wasn't just your standard run-of-the-mill worthless anime dad. Honestly objectively looking at the entire situation, I'm kind of on his side more than the mother, who clearly concocted the entire plan herself without telling him and then when things didn't turn out as she expected, decided to lash out at Maomao for it. It's understandable given what she went through though, so I can't hate her too much. In the end, it was just misunderstandings between 3 people resulting in the tragedy.
May 1, 8:56 AM
Nov 2019
Great show, an excellent protagonist. Interesting setting
May 4, 2:48 AM
Dec 2020
Great adaptation 9/10.
Good animation, great visual, excellent scene photography make this adaptation good and still consistent until the end.
The story was fresh and very intriguing.
The mystery that makes curious.
And the drama is very touching.

Wonderful ending.
I will miss all about Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, Maomao and Jinshi.
I'm so happy for Season 2 confirmation and can't wait Season 2 released.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

165 by JSM5421 »»
Today, 2:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

208 by JSM5421 »»
Today, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

244 by _Fishy_ »»
Yesterday, 7:59 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

162 by Jonsitoa »»
Yesterday, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

203 by TheOtherJN »»
May 13, 6:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.