Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
A date even in the season finale! They truly made so many memories this season. That might just be a cell phone photo but it's also a symbol of their bond.

Glad this episode decided to give the pair more time and rest of the cast got screen time in one way or another too. Tbh, I think this season had a great tone for a romance drama. It didn't go too far with its drama but also heartwarming at many segments throughout the course of the show.
Mar 23, 6:58 AM

Dec 2021
It only took 12 episodes, but we finally got the long-awaited date.

Yuki and Itsuomi, who had decided to go on a date. Yuki, troubled, chose a certain park as their destination. Yuki, who loves taking photos of flowers, takes pictures of the flowers in the park, while Itsuomi feels that he sees the world as seen by Yuki through those photos. In the midst of such peaceful time passing, Yuki decides to confront Itsuomi again with "that question" that was said to be told once they became closer.

Yuki's got a point. Where else would someone who's been all over the world want to go on a date? But honestly, it doesn't matter where they end up, as long as Yuki's by Itsuomi's side, he's happy. Itsuomi's backstory? Man, it's just too cute. Especially when you find out he changed his hair color just like Yuki did. Talk about sweet. And let's not forget about Emma and Shin finally getting TOGETHER... HELL YEAH. That totally made my day. And Rin and Kyouya too? Ah, I love this show so much. Gonna miss it for sure.

Now that Yuki's got her passport, her world will continue to grow, endlessly meeting new colors... Now and forever.

This show? It's something else, man. Been a while since I got this hooked on a romance. I NEED A SECOND SEASON.

Jul 2017
Onwards to Seyama, Yuki and Itsuomi's date, this time far out than before, and unlike the first time, Yuki is no longer afraid of expressing her emotions.

Yuki has always been fascinated by flowers of all sorts, which Itsuomi follows behind, until the falling wisteria flowers come into view, and other flowers start to bloom and blossom under the sun with their seasonal arrival. This is Yuki's world, and Itsuomi wanting to have a picture with her with the wisteria flowers, the shot captured is great, though he loves to boast about his "friendship" with Oushi just to roast him even more. A missed signal to kiss in public, Yuki...does not mind, though it's rather awkward and random, and cuddling is the next best thing, even when he's practically OK with anything that she wants to do. His text essay on his travelogues sent to Yuki, it's long, but in the moment to be shared, Itsuomi reassures her every step of the way.

Oushi and his classmates being in school on a Saturday, anyone could tell that he has Yuki on his mind, and he being open about it, is quite the change. THough this change is rather hard for Emma to accept Shin after his confession to her. Itsuomi's a knockout in public, and that makes Yuki enchanted all the more to read his life story. From a kid who liked planes and lived in Berlin, Germany with his father when he was 6, he finds it hard to communicate, which is the reason why he wants to go back to Japan, but shoves his mentality to be strong himself. And an instance comes when he wants to play soccer/football with the students, the thrill of being understood fueled his desire to communicate, which became his curiosity to travel and experience cultures of all kinds and be an influencer in any way he can. In regard to Yuki, his interactions with her slowly shrank in days and minutes as their distance gets all the closer to love each other more.

Shin has finally managed to reach Emma, the same likewise with Rin and Kyouya with a dating ring, and as for Yuki and Itsuomi, their love transcends borders with Sign, and now passports to go overseas together.

Such a beautiful and poignant show of love and romance through sign language.
KANLen09Mar 23, 7:22 AM
Aug 2022
I will miss this one , weep
Ricky16Mar 23, 7:02 AM
Mar 23, 7:03 AM

Feb 2021
Itsuomi the definition of smooth. And the little backstory was so precious.
OOOOOHHHHH DID SHIN AND EMMA SAIL?! YESSSSS

9/10
The best shojo I've seen so far. I love every character T^T. And the visuals are beautiful too!
I WANT SEASON 2 NOW. But tbh the ending was so satisfying that I won't complain if it just ends here.
Mar 23, 7:15 AM
Mar 2022
Great final episode!!!🥺❤️
But I feel quite sad that the anime is already end...
Please have a second season!!!! 😭🙏🏻
The manga has a lot to offer!!!!!
kisaragi_ekiMar 23, 7:52 AM
Mar 23, 7:15 AM

Apr 2010
Well a happy ending which is great.
This was pretty interesting it's really rare to have any form of fiction about someone who has trouble hearing or who can't communicate using their voice so this was really refreshing to watch.
It's nice to see things from a different perspective.
It also gives a bit of a insight of the things people who can't hear or who can't communicate with their voice have to deal with on a daily basis.

Anyway the characters were nice and it's good to see them all find happiness it was fulfilling to watch.
Mar 23, 7:29 AM

Mar 2021
Such a beautiful ending to a great show I really hope we get a second season and that it comes soon this show is just so amazing.
Mar 23, 7:32 AM

Nov 2016
One of the most beautiful feel good anime I've seen in a while(with some mild drama). Loved it to bits.

9/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 23, 7:39 AM

Apr 2022
noo i'm sad to see the best show i've seen this season end, but damn that was really nice and these 12 weeks flew by quick. a date for the season finale is just what was needed, yuki and itsuomi just hanging out, having a chill and wholesome day without anyone else getting in the way was perfect.
slice of life vibes this season was great, and there was some drama but not too much, and it was resolved really well and realistically. oushi is there who i'm not a fan of but he can be respectable at times. glad shin and emma, and also kyouya and rin are making steady progress with their relationships, especially the latter.
great visuals, great soundtrack and a well-done portrayal of sign language and mature relationships. it's between a 9.5-10/10 for me. great adaptation of a top 3 shoujo manga and i hope it gets a second season someday.
Mar 23, 7:40 AM
Dec 2020
Yuki finally got the answer as to why Itsuomi travels! Oushi still struggling to be honest. Shin finally gets the girl?!?! Why do I kinda get the feeling that Rin and Kyoya are not endgame? (hopefully I'm wrong) Yuki has a passport now!

PS: I'm gonna miss waiting every week for a new ep. I hope season 2 gets announced soon!
Mar 23, 7:41 AM
Jul 2023
What a beautiful ending, everyone wins except Oushi
Mar 23, 7:47 AM
Mar 2022
From the author after the last episode finished airing:

Mar 23, 7:48 AM

Mar 2022
Good Finale! I assume we will get a season 2? A lot of complaints about depth but to be honest I watched this for a feel good series, and it achieved that for me, sometimes it nice to just have a show that doesn't have tons of drama and is just "Nice".
MezinoMar 23, 7:52 AM
Mar 23, 7:56 AM
Sep 2021
That was an amazing journey, hope it gets a S2 really fast. No words to do describe this show. A must recommend show of this winter season from me.
Mar 23, 8:04 AM

Sep 2019
Better than the recent other shoujo romance animes but still not as good as how some people were hyping it up or praising it.
Mar 23, 8:11 AM

Feb 2019
Last episode of peak shoujo 😩 of course we get a great date episode. Itsuomi and Yuki date at the flower garden was so beautiful and I like the message about different flowers waiting their season to bloom. Really connects to the characters in this series.

Everyone’s kind of going thru their season right now and coming into their own as people. Whether it’s Yuki and Itsuomi or Emma and Shin, Rin and Kyouya or even Oushi finally going for that book in the end. Everyone’s taking steps forward.

“It just hit me what people mean when they say something took their breath away” 😭 man that moment Yuki realised how lucky she is to have Itsuomi was so sweet. I love how they use those pastel colours whenever something changes in a character’s world. Yuki’s already grown a lot since episode 1, I can’t wait to see where she goes from here.

My man Itsu not afraid of PDA at all, almost got a really cute kiss there, but the cuddle works just as fine lol.

Loved that little flashback to him as a kid in Germany too. As a guy who speaks multiple languages and has a linguistics degree, I just really enjoyed the focus on his use of language for communication with all these different groups of people. The use of football to help him break the ice with the German kid was so real too. It’s funny how when you have a shared passion with someone you can begin to learn much faster

So happy we got to see all the other ships sail too! Emma finally realised that Shin been there the whole time for her and it’s so cute how shy and reserved she is around someone who actually likes her vs how assertive and boisterous she was with Itsuomi lol. Handholding on the first date too?? Lets go! The ring Kyouya got Rin looks so nice too. Just really happy for everyone.

Oushi ain’t got anyone yet, but at least he’s taking steps forward and being more honest with himself. That’s the first thing he has to do before he can really be happy.

“Because I love everything about you” 😭 that long text Itsu sent Yuki was so damn sweet. Perfect way to wrap up the episode and season. Wasn’t perfect narratively, but it was still great. One of the best recent shoujo romances for sure. Thank you studio Ajia-Do for this!
Marinate1016Mar 23, 9:00 AM
Mar 23, 8:14 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to ArimaKana
Better than the recent other shoujo romance animes but still not as good as how some people were hyping it up or praising it.
@ArimaKana
ArimaKana said:
still not as good as how some people were hyping it up or praising it.

That's because the anime only adapted the beginning of the story from the manga the rest of the story/chapter in the manga is soo damn good!
It is one of the best shoujo.
That's why a lot of people hyping a sign of affection!
But unfortunately it's only a 12 episodes anime 😒😒
There is a lot of good things that the anime didn't adapted yet from the manga.
I really wish this will get a second season.
The manga is just soo damn good.
kisaragi_ekiMar 23, 8:22 AM
Mar 23, 8:14 AM

Apr 2020
I usually I'm not into shoujo but this one was pretty good.
7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Mar 23, 8:19 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to ZER0PT
I usually I'm not into shoujo but this one was pretty good.
7/10
@ZER0PT
ZER0PT said:
this one was pretty good.
7/10

The manga is even better!
One of the best shoujo!!!
Mar 23, 8:36 AM

Feb 2022
That was a fantastic episode to end it with, ASOA is one of my favourite new shows of this season.
It would be amazing to see a continuation at some point but if it never happens then i would not be disappointed as its a fairly contained story and ended very well.
Mar 23, 8:36 AM
May 2007
Reply to kisaragi_eki
From the author after the last episode finished airing:

@kisaragi_eki Well I guess now I'll have to read the manga.
Mar 23, 8:39 AM

Oct 2017
Wait did they really just speedran the other couples in the final few minutes? No hope for season 2? I actually want more of the side couples so I sure hope that's not the case.

The date for the finale was okay but the visuals were real pretty and colorful. Got to know a bit more about Itsuomi which was nice. Happy for Shin, Emma asked him for a date and Rin and Kyouya are dating, happy for them too. Good luck to that girl with Oushi too.

Pretty nice romance anime, felt a bit bland at times but otherwise had fun watching it. Though the side couples were more interesting to me and while I'm happy they showed conclusion for them it kinda feels like they just did it to give the anime a closure incase it never gets a new season. Specially with it ending with Yuki getting her passport and close to their trip abroad. Not that it matters much as I'll prolly pick up the manga at some point.
Mar 23, 8:45 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Being on a train together again is like reenacting their first encounter. They sure picked a beautiful place for their first date though. The shot with the wsyeria was perfect. The insight into Itsu's childhood was pretty fun. As a child learning a now language while being in a foreign land is actually pretty tough. But its defo more fun when you have friends that can help you. Looks like things are defo looking up for Shin and Ema. Not to mention for Rin and Kyouya. Nice that Rin finally got a passport. Best ending ever though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 8:47 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to MegamiRem
Wait did they really just speedran the other couples in the final few minutes? No hope for season 2? I actually want more of the side couples so I sure hope that's not the case.

The date for the finale was okay but the visuals were real pretty and colorful. Got to know a bit more about Itsuomi which was nice. Happy for Shin, Emma asked him for a date and Rin and Kyouya are dating, happy for them too. Good luck to that girl with Oushi too.

Pretty nice romance anime, felt a bit bland at times but otherwise had fun watching it. Though the side couples were more interesting to me and while I'm happy they showed conclusion for them it kinda feels like they just did it to give the anime a closure incase it never gets a new season. Specially with it ending with Yuki getting her passport and close to their trip abroad. Not that it matters much as I'll prolly pick up the manga at some point.
MegamiRem said:
Wait did they really just speedran the other couples in the final few minutes? No hope for season 2?

Well I guess??
I'm not really sure...
But I really really hope it will get a second season!!!
The manga has a lot to offer and lots of good things didn't get animated yet!!!
😔😭
kisaragi_ekiMar 23, 8:54 AM
Mar 23, 8:47 AM
Aug 2021
nice finale. closing almost all stories except Oushi because we know there won't be a second season....which is actually fine because, to be honest, the manga afterwards kinda stales into just them building a basic relationship...no foreign trips, no growing etc. the only interesting character is Oushi.
it was a nice adaptation of a very simple romance.
Mar 23, 8:55 AM

Jul 2019
A disappointing ending for a disappointing anime. Very fitting.
Mar 23, 8:58 AM
Feb 2020
Man what a fucking great show thru and thru.Literally quite a perfect adaptation no complaints whatsoever.8.5/10
Mar 23, 9:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yes, this is more of the Shoujo we need these days! God dang it, I need a sequel of this.

Finally the date we’ve been looking forward to! Lovely to see her coworkers chipping in to support her. Photography in the wilderness, that sounds really comfy. And that confession with the added effects, it was really beautiful. They were meant for each other. Learning to communicate rather to book learn definitely sounds a lot more practical.

Madoka-chan and her aunt really give off the same genki energy, lol. Oushi’s taken a stride forward being more honest as well. Emma-san’s accepted his offer and the Kyouko-san and Rin-chan ship’s sailing too, this really felt like a conclusion for the adaption. Definitely saddened by it but hopefully, it’s just me making assumptions. They’re just preparing us for the next season, that’s how I’ll be taking it…
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 23, 9:04 AM
Sep 2015
The part about Itsuomi's childhood in Germany is very well done.
Mar 23, 9:10 AM
Mar 2022
Such a really great adaptation of the manga! ❤️
I really love the anime so much!!
The animations and everything is very well made!!!!
The studio really make a sign of affection with lots of care and love!!!
Please have a second season!!!!
I really really hope there will be a second season!!!
Mar 23, 9:16 AM
Oct 2019
Wow what a Great Season Finale!!
We got three happy couple and then there is Oushi LMAO

Shout-out to Ajia-do staff, they really did a good job.
It's been a long time since we got such a good Shoujo, since probably Kimi ni Todoke and Fruit Basket??
Usually I'm not into Shoujo but god damn it was good.
I'm glad that i pick this one at the beginning of this Winter 2024 and watching it every Saturday alongside with "The Danger in My Heart" really made happy.
8/10 for me.

Hopefully we got Season 2 announcement soon 🙏
Mar 23, 9:19 AM
Nov 2022

A Sign of Affection is now one of my favorite romance anime. It has everything I love about romance. The main characters get together very quickly, but their relationship is portrayed realistically, without a lot of drama. I also think Yuki's disability is portrayed very well in the anime and you get a good insight into the lives of deaf people.
Itsuomi as the male lead is totally likeable. I love his interaction with Yuki and he is also super interesting as a person. As I'm from Germany myself, I think it's super cool that the German language was used here and the voice actors did a really good job of portraying the German language realistically.
All the side characters are also super interesting and likeable. I really liked that in the last episode we saw that all the pairings became canon. That's very rare in romance anime.
I also thought Oushi as the second male lead was very cute. I can see why many find him unlikable, but I can't be mad at him because he's actually really cute. He tries his best to show Yuki that he loves her, but he just doesn't have the best strategies to make it happen.

I would be very happy about a second season, as I know that there is still some manga content.
But if that's not the case, I'll definitely buy the manga too, because I want to know what happens next. But overall, A Sign of Affection is a 10/10 for me and will go in my top 10 romance anime list.
Mar 23, 9:30 AM
Aug 2022
Unironically one of the best romances I’ve seen in a while it handled each storyline perfectly and didn’t make the love triangle between Yuki, itsu and oushi seem like a pain.

And I love how well the finale episode wrapped up each storyline with all three couples getting together.

Phenomenal anime I need a season 2
Mar 23, 9:35 AM
Oct 2021
Cute. Much Cute. Nothing but CUTEEEE.
Mar 23, 9:57 AM

Jan 2012
And so we end with a flower viewing first date, some Itsuomi backstory, and checking in with all our couples...plus Oushi.

Well this was certainly a feel-good anime. It even handled the doomed childhood friend cliche in a more positive and upbeat way than perhaps any other romance anime I've seen, which is saying something. I only realized it during this finale so I may have simply forgotten, but this was another one of those shows where ugly people don't really exist lol. Everyone, even the children Itsuomi visits on his travels. You might see the outline of an overweight person here or there, and Oushi's one friend has those comedic lips, but even that's stretching it. I've seen shows like that before and I don't really mean it as a criticism, just an observation. The only other thing to note is I saw a complaint about a lack of sign language in this story early on on here. I guess that person has some crow to eat as it didn't take long to become very prominent. Patience is a virtue they say. I'm no expert on the deaf or hearing impaired, but it seemed to me like this show handled the topic earnestly and pretty well. Anywho, I'm rambling at this point. So uh....yeah, solid 7/10.
Mar 23, 10:00 AM
Sep 2023
Well that's it! Can't believe it's over yet, went so fast! I'll do a full review because there's so much I want to say..

But as for this episode it was such a heartwarming way to end such a wholesome anime.. Everyone getting their happy ending was so great! Idc if it doesn't have a season 2 (even if I'd like it!) because of how good it ends.

Thanks a bunch to the studio for the amazing work!
Mar 23, 10:09 AM
Jan 2024
Im okay.....
WAAHHH BUT REALLY THOUGH: good ending, totally didnt make me cry alright...aha.....please season two, one day I NEED MOREEEEE

Mar 23, 10:15 AM
Oct 2019
WHAT A MAGNIFICENT ENDING, it was so good to follow this series from the beginning, it was one of the best romance anime I've ever seen, it was truly incredible
Mar 23, 10:18 AM
Feb 2022
This is such a heart worming story I love it so much!
Mar 23, 10:42 AM

Oct 2020
This is the most heartwarming anime I have watch, Yuki go have a happy life together with Itsuomi.
JanWiller06Mar 23, 10:47 AM
Mar 23, 10:51 AM
Jan 2024
good fina and very good the anime
Mar 23, 10:58 AM

Jun 2021
Shin and Emma whatttt, I didn't think she would agree that quick but I'm glad. Kyouya and Rin too, so happy for them
And why is literally every single character in this a green flag I'll cry we need a second season!!
Mar 23, 11:29 AM

Nov 2011
took time, i finally gotten to like itsuomi san. everything came out so smoothly, good luck all of them : )
Mar 23, 11:45 AM

Feb 2021
All get a pair except for Oushi. So sad. Hope that they announce season 2 and treat Oushi well!
Mar 23, 11:45 AM
Jun 2021
Noooo I can't believe that this is the last episode i wanted to see more. The love between Yuki and Itsuomi was so pure and I also loved how Itsuomi was traying to to know more about her world and step by step they learned about each other they're so cute, I'd like to see Yuki traveling around the world, everything in this relationship is a green flag :)
Furthermore, the other characters were also charming. Even Oushi, who wasn't one of my favorites because he was so grumpy, but in the end I think he really wanted to be a better version of himself and i liked it.
Mar 23, 11:51 AM
Aug 2014
Must have 2nd season.
Mar 23, 11:53 AM
Jun 2016
I like it when a romance anime isn't tirelessly formulating love triangle plots and it just lets the main couple focus on themselves. It's nice and wholesome. Trouble is, that you still have to find a way to have conflict elsewhere. And it sort of ends up trying to half-commit to a third-wheel love triangle that gets resolved away from the main character. Or the other romance pairings that just aren't as compelling. Both take away time from the main character and what's left is a story that feels like it barely got a chance to get anywhere in 12 episodes. I hope it gets a second season because seeing them travel abroad and get away from the Japan-side of the story would be exciting and we only JUST got there!

It blasts through a few stellar moments and when it takes time to linger there it's really good. Most of this show is great it's just this one aspect that keeps me anxiously awaiting the next truly good character moment. And sometimes it's too slow until it becomes too fast. I do like it when one of the romantic characters is very take-charge or proactive compared to the meeker other one. In this case, Itsuomi is particularly so. But also... too nice, too socially intellectual, and too much a perfect dream boy that it robs the conflict of some of its drama.

I respect how well the relationship is depicted. It's incredibly healthy and sweet despite the barriers between them. Which is nice (and maybe the point) but... Struggling to resolve a conflict because the barrier is so difficult to break makes the conflict resolution all that much more satisfying. And it's got the right idea, I just wish the offerings were slightly less slim.

Like surely A Silent Voice may be too intense (self-harm/depression) for some people. But for me, I feel like it perfectly demonstrates the gold standard. Not tone-wise or content-wise, but rather how to build barriers between characters and break them down.

And well... despite all this complaining I'm still riding high on this season's successes. Perhaps a better season 2 would address these concerns and it would make S1 seem more like a 7 in retrospect. But as it stands a solid 8/10 :)
Mar 23, 12:44 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Very sweet final episode we got here with a full on date between Yuki and Itsuomi, love to finally see it. And the location they went to was very pretty, loved the art on the backgrounds during the whole bit, and I like that it wasn’t necessarily a special dating spot or a classic one, just a walk in the park while enjoying taking pics of flowers, which is something I do myself during this time of the year. And besides just the pics of the flowers I also really liked the pics they took of each other, the reveal that Itsuomi snuck a pic near the end of the episode was nice lol. And we nearly got another kiss within the date but it was unfortunately cut short because it was too random, and imo that’s understandable, they’ve kissed before anyway so one at the end wouldn’t be that big a deal.

And we also got some backstory on Itsuomi’s love for travel and cultures which was fitting for the final episode, and it was quite the wholesome story that began with a simple understanding between two people that have different native languages, I really liked that. And now that Yuki has her passport, Emma and Shin look like they’re getting somewhere, Rin is getting even closer to Kyouya, and Oushi is still doing his thing, I’m now left with a need for season 2 lol, but a good place to end on for sure.

And that was the end of what I thought was an absolute banger of a romance anime. Itsuomi may have been your usual shoujo strapping young lad but he worked so well with Yuki, watching the two of them get closer over the course of the show was such a good time. And speaking of Yuki, absolutely loved her, great female lead, and of course the unique aspect of her being deaf taught me a lot about how it is to be a deaf person and I loved this aspect of the show too, the sign language was especially cool. You also had the great side characters who added a lot with their interactions with the main couple, as well as their own relationships without outshining the main one. We also had a very nice OP and ED, I only wish we heard the ED in this last episode but that OP is great so I don’t mind hearing it twice lol. Here’s to hoping for another season, and for more great romance to come next season!
TheColonel76Mar 23, 12:50 PM
Mar 23, 12:45 PM

Nov 2023
A very good ending to a very good anime.

Every episode was good, and not a single one I thought was even slightly boring.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Phloup - Dec 31, 2023

337 by Phixiately »»
Apr 29, 6:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.