Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 20, 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
It's obvious that Yuki fell for Itsuomi. Up to this point, she couldn't keep her eyes off of him so yeah.

What is kinda interesting is the anime decided to throw in some moments where she misunderstood him, through what she sees. She isn't very experienced in romance yet, but I think she's learning. We got some goofy moments from her too. Looks like the show so far loves building off the chemistry between the two.
Jan 20, 5:58 AM

Dec 2021
Damn, the art style in this episode really had that classic feel of an old-school shoujo anime.

Yuki becomes aware of her feelings for Itsuomi. When Rin and her visit Rockin' Robin again, Itsuomi, prompted by the howling sound from the hearing aid, asks about what had been on Yuki's mind regarding her ears. Itsuomi straightforwardly asks delicate questions, and while Kyouya tries to intervene, Yuki can't help but feel delighted by Itsuomi's interest. Just then, Itsuomi's high school classmate, Emma, arrives at the shop. Seeing Itsuomi and Emma looking friendly, Yuki starts to feel uneasy.

Itsuomi was really sweet to give Yuki that whiteboard, making our conversations a breeze. And whoa, Yuki went all out with that notebook! I can't imagine having the motivation to jot everything down and draw like that. Emma's basically the living embodiment of every girl in those 2000s shoujo anime. Also childhood friend, just being the classic childhood friend getting all jealous. I was kinda hoping he'd be different. Like, really stand out. But nope. I mean, seriously, if someone were playing Yuki, do you think they'd bother learning a whole new language just to talk to her?

Props to Itsuomi for being smart and turning down the booze. It's pretty clear what Emma's after.

Jan 20, 6:09 AM
Aug 2022
Yuki-San fell for Itsumo 😍 very very cute moment.
Ricky16Jan 20, 6:15 AM
Jan 20, 6:15 AM
Mar 2022
They did a really good job adapted this episode!! There is going to be lots of wholesome moments from now on!!! So please look forward to watching a sign of affection till the last eps!!! 😭🫶🏻
Jan 20, 6:16 AM

Nov 2010
  • It's strange to meet at a laundry store at snowy night.
  • Though fingers inevitably get into view in the show, the tattoo is not a good sense. (At least, such person can't go in, for example, swimming pools in my city without covering them.)

Jan 20, 6:18 AM
Jul 2023
Oushi is certainly protective of Yuki, even in his own harsh way of expressing it.
Jan 20, 6:18 AM

Feb 2021
Something I didn't notice before I read some comments about the previous episode: Oushi is ableist, but not in-your-face, it's more subtle. He's an interesting character.

Oushi's unique skill: "Tissie throw"!
Daaamn, the animation when they are using sign language is amazing.
I like how they used the traffic lights at 12:25. I checked the manga to see if it's anime-original, and yep, it is. They are really going all-out for this adaptation.

Oh, they are showing the preview of the next episode not after the ED, but at the end of the ED itself. Never seen it done like that before, cool.
This has been really good so far.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who tried doing all the hand signs
Jan 20, 6:19 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to kuroneko99
  • It's strange to meet at a laundry store at snowy night.
  • Though fingers inevitably get into view in the show, the tattoo is not a good sense. (At least, such person can't go in, for example, swimming pools in my city without covering them.)

@kuroneko99 itsuomi tattoo has a meaning! He will explain it later! Idk if the anime able to adapted that chapter because it’s only a 12 eps :(
Jan 20, 6:32 AM
Sep 2015
Sometimes you've fallen so deep you don't mind if your feeling is being played.
Jan 20, 6:44 AM

Apr 2022
^felt that.
yuki went all out with helping teach itsuomi sign language and he's picking up more, get that effort in. he's a real one for respectfully passing on emma. oushi with the tissues was jokes but even with his best intentions, he's not getting in the way of her determination. bit of rizz at the laundry store was cute and they're still trying to get to know each other more.
Jan 20, 6:48 AM

Mar 2021
Yuki is such a sweetheart for creating that sign language notebook for Itsoumi so that they can communicate more
Jan 20, 7:08 AM

Apr 2010
Looks like a rival appeared in this episode and she seems to be rather close to Itsuomi, he was pretty cold towards her tho.
It looks like things are going well for Yuki but it seems her childhood friend is a bit jealous or at least he doesn't seem to trust Itsuomi i think he is a bit overprotective of Yuki.
When Yuki created that sign language book her behaviour was cute.
Jan 20, 7:15 AM
Feb 2015
Slowly but surely her feeling is piling up like the snow. it feel slow yet fast at time. Itsuomi seem genuinely curious about sign language and his female friend seem to like him. What itsuomi think about Yuki and her friend and it puzzling why i feel frustrated this episodes.
Jan 20, 7:16 AM
Aug 2022
This show makes me want to learn sign language even though I have literally no reason to rn 😂😂

I’m guessing Emma has a one sided crush and that’s probably the extent of her relationship with itsu
Jan 20, 7:36 AM
May 2021
This show is sweetness overload it’s killing me. Yuki chibis are soooo GOATED

Jan 20, 8:05 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A guide to sign language does look pretty handy. And wow Yuki sure ended up making it pretty detailed. Personal space doesn't seem to be something that Itsu understands. Yuki's shaking hands really reflect how worried she was about Emma being a rival. Yuki's overeactions are always so amusing. Looks like Yuki's thoughts were right on the money. But its lucky that Itsu only saw Ema as a friend. Overall a pretty sweet and calm ep that did well to expand upon both Itsu as a character but also the developing bond between him and Yuki. The intro of more support cast especially Emma also did well to expand upon the world as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 8:09 AM
Aug 2021
weird that they didn't translate what Itsuomi says over the head of Yuki in another language.

because it's kinda relevant: in the manga at least he speaks in German:" You're cute".
Jan 20, 8:11 AM

Oct 2020
I see trouble coming from both sides: Oushi Ashioki and Emma Nakazono.
Jan 20, 8:29 AM
Oct 2019
cute, cute, cute, cute, cute, cute, loved it
Jan 20, 8:33 AM

May 2015
I wish this guy wouldn't seem so freaking perfect. I mean I get that this story is a shoujo so that is why the love interest of the heroine has to be like a prince-sama, but having at least a few failings would make him more human like. But who knows, we will get to know him better in the future, mabye that will flesh out more his character.
IshitatesoJan 20, 8:38 AM
Jan 20, 8:39 AM

Dec 2022
so emma has feelings for itsuo or what because the manger said it will never happen wy is that and what will happen now that she sees the sign language book
Jan 20, 8:45 AM
Nov 2016
I can't with this series, it's just too sweet and cute!
Both Yuki and Itsuomi are so adorable and precious. That notebook is so detailed it makes me want to have one despite not being deaf/knowing any deaf people.

Oushi hitting Yuki with two tissues pockets twice was funny ahah

Anyway, this show it's in my top 3 of the season :)
Jan 20, 8:54 AM
Aug 2020
i'm in love

so beautiful

is it possible to not fall in love...

he is a good guy
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 20, 9:02 AM

Feb 2019
Yuki making a sign language guidebook for Itsuomi is like the cutest thing ever 😭 she put so much effort into it too.

Given Itsuomi track record with languages he’ll probably pick up sign language in no time which will really allow them to connect on the next level.

Jealous Yuki is adorable. She don’t want anyone coming near her man lol. I wonder what the backstory is with the female friend, why the coworker said there’s no chance for them to go out.

Ngl Yuki having a curfew at like 20 is kinda crazy. I know she’s got a disability so you wanna keep an eye on her, but again this is what I was talking about last week with everyone putting bubble wrap around her and not wanting her to get hurt. You have to let her live her life.

And again, the childhood friend is hounding her about who she’s going to see.. bro is so toxic, if you love her you should be encouraging her to see the world and grow as a person, but he’s clearly afraid she’ll outgrow him so he forces his insecurities on her. Selfish, not real love.

“My race has already started and now that it has, I won’t look back” good, Yuki! Go live your life. The laundromat scene was so damn cute, Yuki trying to stack all the “more” signs on top of each other to get across how much she wants to get to know him was so sweet. My heart just melts every time they’re together.

We’ve moved from headpats to Itsuomi laying his chin on her head, we’re getting places!

He’s got a little jealous streak as well. Yuki doing all that questioning about Emma and he’s like “who’s that guy I saw you talking to the other day” 😂 these two are so cute.

And looks like Yuki’s fears were slightly on point, Emma definitely has a thing for Itsuomi. Showing up at his place at night and wanting to spend the night.. she’s down horrendously. Now that she’s found the sign language guidebook I can’t wait to see where the drama goes.
Marinate1016Jan 20, 9:24 AM
Jan 20, 9:30 AM

Jan 2019
I do hope we get some of Izoumi's inner dialogue because so far he's too perfect, dude's gotta have some insecurities, right?

Jan 20, 9:38 AM

Sep 2017
Cringe friend still being cringe. These mfers should just go out already. The monologues are supery flowery, but I do like how straightforward Yuki is with her feelings.
Jan 20, 9:49 AM

Sep 2020
Yuki's childhood friend is the most realistic character in this show fr anyway excited to see the drama unfold in the upcoming episodes.
Jan 20, 9:53 AM
Dec 2013
I sense a love square brewing.
Jan 20, 10:04 AM
Jul 2019
Reply to Phantom_373
This show makes me want to learn sign language even though I have literally no reason to rn 😂😂

I’m guessing Emma has a one sided crush and that’s probably the extent of her relationship with itsu
@Phantom_373 Look, interesting, but it seems that sign language in English is different from Japanese (maybe it has some similar signs). I researched this anime and found a video of a guy signing in both languages using another anime that has a hearing-impaired character: Koe no Katachi
Jan 20, 10:08 AM
Nov 2014
Very cute and enjoyable
Jan 20, 10:17 AM
Jul 2019
Reply to gawed
weird that they didn't translate what Itsuomi says over the head of Yuki in another language.

because it's kinda relevant: in the manga at least he speaks in German:" You're cute".
@gawed I watched it on Brazilian Crunchyroll and they translated this part where he says "You're cute" into German
RodrigoAlPeresJan 20, 3:29 PM
Jan 20, 10:18 AM
Aug 2021
RodrigoAlPeres said:
@gawed I watched it on Brazilian Crunchyroll and they translated this part where he says "You're cute" into German

mm weird the Spanish one did not. a mistake then.
Jan 20, 10:30 AM

Mar 2021
Aww Yuki making a sign language guide for Itsuomi is so sweet! And then Itsuomi flat-out saying he won't use it oof

I thought when Itsuomi asked for other signs for "cute," Yuki would reply with "I'll tell you when we're closer." And when Yuki struggled to add onto her "and more," Itsu would add the sign on top of her fingers. Maybe that's just me as a writer, but their actual interactions def show their personalities. :)

Emma is a bit annoying. And it's grating cuz it would've been cool to see Emma as an actual friend for Itsu, cuz Itsu having a female friend would fit his social personality. Also, it would've been more interesting to explore how Yuki handles seeing them hang out and interact, since she's still shy and insecure with where she stands with Itsu. Instead we get a forced, out-of-place love rivalry we all know won't go anywhere :P
Jan 20, 10:33 AM

May 2019
I quite like the emphasis on sign language to connect the two leads. Apart from that, there is not much to pick up on the characters yet especially their side cast. They still feel very typical for a shoujo template as a character. It's still an early crush and an act of being nice and considerate. I hope we get more insight on their insecurities, flaws or backstories to back the leads to make them interesting. When I approach romance stories, those elements are the most important aspects to build them up to be a great pairing. With that being said, let's see if this will turn better the more the show runs longer.

Jan 20, 10:41 AM

Jul 2021
The show is just too pretty. It's so sweet that I think I'll throw up, but in a good way (?).

Especially when she did the sign for "more, more" and then kind of fell into his arms.

It's still a little off-putting how Itsuomi just keeps touching Yuki, but different strokes (!) for different people, I guess.

Also, Itsuomi inviting a girl in, immediately walking out, then telling her not to disturb the neighbors with her shouting is very him.
Jan 20, 10:45 AM

Aug 2020
I am impressed her mother doesn't nail signing yet.

All in all, some nice moments between Yuki and Itsuomi. He is trying his best to learn signing, and their relationship is developing.

It seems things will be tough next episode. Heheh I am waiting.

Jan 20, 11:23 AM

Apr 2016
They're so cute it brings tears to my eyes!!

Jan 20, 11:29 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to gawed

@gawed he also said it in German in the anime
Jan 20, 11:35 AM
Feb 2021
I´m worried about what Ema may do, when she finds out that Itsu likes Yuki...

But I was so surprised to hear Itsuomi say "You are cute" in german ^^
Jan 20, 11:40 AM
Aug 2021
Jennysevilla said:

yeah but were there subtitles of the meaning?
Jan 20, 11:45 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to gawed
Jennysevilla said:

yeah but were there subtitles of the meaning?
@gawed He said "You are cute" in german. "Du bist suess/süß" is the sentence in german.
Jan 20, 11:48 AM
Aug 2021
LoonaLunatic said:
@gawed He said "You are cute" in german. "Du bist suess/süß" is the sentence in german.

I know what he said. I mentioned in my comment.
Jan 20, 11:54 AM

Jun 2012
Reply to Embient
Something I didn't notice before I read some comments about the previous episode: Oushi is ableist, but not in-your-face, it's more subtle. He's an interesting character.

Oushi's unique skill: "Tissie throw"!
Daaamn, the animation when they are using sign language is amazing.
I like how they used the traffic lights at 12:25. I checked the manga to see if it's anime-original, and yep, it is. They are really going all-out for this adaptation.

Oh, they are showing the preview of the next episode not after the ED, but at the end of the ED itself. Never seen it done like that before, cool.
This has been really good so far.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who tried doing all the hand signs
@Embient I also tried doing all the hand signs

might have to watch some videos to be sure I copied them right tho just in case, hahah

again such a cute episode

and is it just me or what he tried to say was "du bist süß" (you're cute/adorable in german)? i tried replying the scene a couple of times but not too sure

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 20, 12:10 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to NemuriNezumi
@Embient I also tried doing all the hand signs

might have to watch some videos to be sure I copied them right tho just in case, hahah

again such a cute episode

and is it just me or what he tried to say was "du bist süß" (you're cute/adorable in german)? i tried replying the scene a couple of times but not too sure
@NemuriNezumi The subs I watched with (Chinese subs) had "du bist süß", so yes.
I don't know Chinese, I know Japanese, the episode with Chinese subs was just the first to be available to download
Jan 20, 12:38 PM

Jun 2012
Reply to Embient
@NemuriNezumi The subs I watched with (Chinese subs) had "du bist süß", so yes.
I don't know Chinese, I know Japanese, the episode with Chinese subs was just the first to be available to download
@Embient oh, I'm watching without subtitles directly so I wasn't too sure (the german took me off guard)

good to know I was right tho xD

thank you!

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 20, 12:43 PM
Aug 2020
yeeees MORE SIGN LANGUAGE ANIMATIONS YEEEES Very satisfying
Jan 20, 12:46 PM
Mar 2020
I'm not thrilled about this thing with Emma. Feels like it's headed toward a kind of melodrama I'm not feeling into at the moment.
Jan 20, 1:09 PM

Apr 2020
waaa couldn't watch the premiere T_T... Anyway, a solid ep.

Oushi kinda ticks me in a way, though him being worried is indeed reasonable. I don't know what to feel about him. Itsuomi and Yuki laundry scene soocuteee my heart waaaaa~! This 2023-2024 might be the year for shoujo redemption xP with Kimi Ni Todoke S4 up in the corner I'm so excited as to how this anime can place into the audience.. would it be like horimiya where it gradually became popular or would it face the fate of other underrated shoujo anime, forever forgotten in the popularity abyss? I think this can easily be top 150+ at best!
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
Jan 20, 2:15 PM

Aug 2021
So I'm guessing Emma is in one-sided love with Itsuomi and is not afraid of showing it? At least that's how it looks to me.
Jan 20, 2:41 PM

Apr 2012
Does Toyama Nao have some kind of typecast for akward girls in difficult situations? This is already the 4th or 5th character of such type
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

194 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:22 PM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.