Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 5:57 AM

Nov 2011
Yuki needs to be more confident. It seems she has trouble even looking at Itsuomi in the face. Well, at least she's able to express her gratitude in words.

I noticed this show relies a lot on social media which makes sense in this technology age. Out of the guys so far, I find Oushi more interesting as he's very straightforward with his words, especially to Yuki.
Jan 13, 5:58 AM

Dec 2021
Am I the only one who felt like bringing in a childhood friend rival was just totally unnecessary?

Yuki was able to exchange contact information with Itsuomi. When she received the message from him saying, Bring me into your world, her heart fluttered. In the midst of this, she spotted Itsuomi having a conversation with several women on campus. Seeing him speak in a language that wasn't Japanese, she began to worry that perhaps their interaction was aimed at "cultural exchange," but not necessarily with her.

I reckon there might be a fair bit of Engrish floating around in this anime, for better or worse, lol. Couldn't help but notice in the last episode that every dude in this anime sports some seriously massive lips—like, what's up with that, lol? It's pretty cool how deaf people can actually communicate more easily over long distances in crowded places compared to those with hearing. That seven-dollar hotel? Man, I can tell that place was a disaster, not just the Wi-Fi but everything else too.

Nice to see Itsuomi checking out the Buddha Park. Also, kudos to them for knowing that in Laos, you can use their currency or good ol' US bills. And for now, it looks like the childhood friend won't be stirring up too much trouble.

Yuki finally sorting out her feelings for Itsuomi in just two episodes—now we're left with the choice of dragging it out until the end or going for a confession in the next episodes.

Jan 13, 6:00 AM
Aug 2022
He Learned the whole sign language only for her.
That's amazing man.
Jan 13, 6:00 AM

Apr 2010
Well it's nice seeing the thought process of the characters it was also nice that we could hear the sign language conversation as well it explains a lot.
It seems the characters are getting along but there is some rivalry going on not to mention some jealousy.
Still things seems to be progressing nicely.
Jan 13, 6:05 AM
Mar 2022
Plot-wise, it's a foundation-setting episode, quite nicely animated, would wish there were more that happened but then again, it's just setting up for future events so can't really complain too much. The painterly effect they put in the background in some scenes is quite a nice addition, kinda reminds me of the white background effect in Horimiya.
Jan 13, 6:05 AM

Nov 2010
As is often the case with anime fans, I didn't pay much attention to the color of protagonist's hair, even if it's strange. But it seems her hair was normal dark color before.
kuroneko99Jan 13, 6:09 AM
Jan 13, 6:08 AM

Apr 2020
Hmm.. a bit awkward at the souvenir gifting scene, it felt like her shyness dragged on a bit too much although maybe it's just what she is. Still, it's nice to see her realizing she is in love with Itsuomi, was worried it'd take 2 to 3 more episodes. I love it when shojo subverts my expectations.

Can I just say that the animation is veryyyyyy cute for a studio I never even heard of before? It feels like reading webcomics but animated, and I am a sucker for webcomics! The smooth animation on the sign languages are just so enchanting to see!
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
Jan 13, 6:08 AM
Mar 2022
Ugh why is it feel so short! 😭😭
Anyways good second episode with lots of original anime only scene!
This episode adapted chapter 2 and half of chapter 3!
Jan 13, 6:10 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to kuroneko99
As is often the case with anime fans, I didn't pay much attention to the color of protagonist's hair, even if it's strange. But it seems her hair was normal dark color before.
@kuroneko99 yuki dyed her hair same with itsuomi
Jan 13, 6:11 AM

Feb 2021
The Japanese title, ゆびさきと恋々 (yubisaki to renren) actually means "fingertips and affection" (恋々 (renren) - "affectionately attached; reluctant to part"). But I think "A Sign of Affection" works too (and sounds better in English lol).

Some parts of the OP seem pretty spoilery lol
Itsuomi's English sounds way more natural than most English I've heard in anime (his VA is Miyazaki Yuu btw, he doesn't seem to appear in anime too often though).
憧れ (akogare) - "yearning; longing; aspiration; adoration; admiration". I guess this can mean crushing? (in CR subs) Idk.
I wonder if a real sign language is being used here. I hope it is.
16:53 Wait, deaf people can speak? Only if they can hear with the device I assume. I didn't know that, interesting.
There is some drama with Oushi building up, I hope it doesn't become too bad. Him being worried for Yuki is understandable tho.
Jan 13, 6:14 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to Embient
The Japanese title, ゆびさきと恋々 (yubisaki to renren) actually means "fingertips and affection" (恋々 (renren) - "affectionately attached; reluctant to part"). But I think "A Sign of Affection" works too (and sounds better in English lol).

Some parts of the OP seem pretty spoilery lol
Itsuomi's English sounds way more natural than most English I've heard in anime (his VA is Miyazaki Yuu btw, he doesn't seem to appear in anime too often though).
憧れ (akogare) - "yearning; longing; aspiration; adoration; admiration". I guess this can mean crushing? (in CR subs) Idk.
I wonder if a real sign language is being used here. I hope it is.
16:53 Wait, deaf people can speak? Only if they can hear with the device I assume. I didn't know that, interesting.
There is some drama with Oushi building up, I hope it doesn't become too bad. Him being worried for Yuki is understandable tho.
@Embient yes. They use real sign language (Japanese)
Jan 13, 6:31 AM
Jul 2023
Did Itsoumi bump into Yuki on purpose?

A nice set up for dramatic tension between Oushi and Itsoumi, wonder what kind of relation it going be.
MainnusJan 13, 6:35 AM
Jan 13, 6:31 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to Stark700
Yuki needs to be more confident. It seems she has trouble even looking at Itsuomi in the face. Well, at least she's able to express her gratitude in words.

I noticed this show relies a lot on social media which makes sense in this technology age. Out of the guys so far, I find Oushi more interesting as he's very straightforward with his words, especially to Yuki.
@Stark700 Nope Itsuomi is more straightforward than Oushi.
Jan 13, 6:34 AM
Apr 2015
Man I truly hate Oushi. Why did he mention that Yuki is deaf when his friend asked about inviting Yuki an Rin. What does her being deaf have to do with inviting her
Jan 13, 6:35 AM

Mar 2021
Yuki is so cute she was especially adorable when she was able to exchange messages with Itsuomi and her smile when he gave her the souvenir was so precious
Jan 13, 6:49 AM

Apr 2022
wow they added original scenes with yuki's student years and shorter black hair, that was a real nice touch. oushi is here and he's really aware of the disabled seeing as how he looks out for yuki being her childhood friend as well as a stranger. sign language was more on display this episode as well as texting coming in handy.
need more of yuki and her cute reactions. she wants to know more about the world while itsuomi's slowly trying to understand bits of sign language. another nice episode, glad this week went by quick.
Jan 13, 6:56 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to IzanaSolos
Am I the only one who felt like bringing in a childhood friend rival was just totally unnecessary?

Yuki was able to exchange contact information with Itsuomi. When she received the message from him saying, Bring me into your world, her heart fluttered. In the midst of this, she spotted Itsuomi having a conversation with several women on campus. Seeing him speak in a language that wasn't Japanese, she began to worry that perhaps their interaction was aimed at "cultural exchange," but not necessarily with her.

I reckon there might be a fair bit of Engrish floating around in this anime, for better or worse, lol. Couldn't help but notice in the last episode that every dude in this anime sports some seriously massive lips—like, what's up with that, lol? It's pretty cool how deaf people can actually communicate more easily over long distances in crowded places compared to those with hearing. That seven-dollar hotel? Man, I can tell that place was a disaster, not just the Wi-Fi but everything else too.

Nice to see Itsuomi checking out the Buddha Park. Also, kudos to them for knowing that in Laos, you can use their currency or good ol' US bills. And for now, it looks like the childhood friend won't be stirring up too much trouble.

Yuki finally sorting out her feelings for Itsuomi in just two episodes—now we're left with the choice of dragging it out until the end or going for a confession in the next episodes.
@IzanaSolos well… next episode is going to be 😧🤭😏😆
Jan 13, 7:07 AM
Apr 2022
I really feel bad about oushi-kun (childhood friend), I think his love is gonna be painful.....
Jan 13, 7:10 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to GriN0
I really feel bad about oushi-kun (childhood friend), I think his love is gonna be painful.....
@GriN0 that’s his fault. Wtf is he doing for the past couple of years? He knows he like yuki from the beginning but choose not to say anything like??
But i still like Oushi! He’s cute
kisaragi_ekiJan 13, 7:28 AM
Jan 13, 7:24 AM

Sep 2020
Oushi really cares about Yuki a lot but it's too late. Hopefully he finds someone else. I don't want to see him heart broken.
Jan 13, 7:27 AM

May 2015
I wonder what kind of emotion is powdery and pearl white...

I would have been happier if she had fallen in love with that Oshi-guy instead of with the white haired prince-sama.
IshitatesoJan 13, 7:45 AM
Jan 13, 7:32 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Minfairys
Man I truly hate Oushi. Why did he mention that Yuki is deaf when his friend asked about inviting Yuki an Rin. What does her being deaf have to do with inviting her
@Minfairys You didn't mention how he learned sign language only for Yuki. Moreover he isn't a bully he worries a lot about her. Close friends can sometime be rude at eachother.
Jan 13, 7:39 AM
Apr 2015
Reply to ZXEAN
@Minfairys You didn't mention how he learned sign language only for Yuki. Moreover he isn't a bully he worries a lot about her. Close friends can sometime be rude at eachother.
@ZXEAN well let’s end it here. My hate steams from more than this but I wouldn’t wanna spoil. Also learning sign language for her doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants.
Jan 13, 7:47 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Minfairys
@ZXEAN well let’s end it here. My hate steams from more than this but I wouldn’t wanna spoil. Also learning sign language for her doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants.
@Minfairys As of now he didn't do anything for which he deserve hate. Anyway I have read only 13 chapters so don't want to get spoiled.
Jan 13, 7:51 AM
Dec 2021
I can already tell this will probably be, at least to my standards, the best Shoujo ever.

This anime after just 2 episodes is in the S tier right next to Kimi ni Todoke.

I'm impressed.
AnimeIs4KidzJan 13, 8:00 AM
Jan 13, 7:52 AM

Oct 2017
Yuki in love is so adorable. Pretty sweet stuff this episode as Yuki affirms her feelings. Oushi may look like he's picking on her but in reality he cares for her and might even like her romantically? ED song is nice btw.
Jan 13, 7:59 AM
Jul 2022
I'm liking this show, but doesn't the pacing and development seem a bit off ? Or is it just me?
Jan 13, 8:09 AM
Jul 2021
Show is still holding up really well and I can’t wait for the next one. We’re introducing a possible love triangle in ep 2, but Oushi is such a dick. I’m used to there at least being some compelling reasons to like the other guy, but between him coddling her, thinking deaf people should avoid unfamiliar things, and the way he shrugged off Yuuki to her friend as “being deaf” just makes him horrible 😭. He acts like he’s considerate for her disability but you immediately out yourself if the first thing you do with others is bring up another’s disability and make them sound like a burden.

Also why does Itsuo keep petting her 😭
Jan 13, 8:16 AM
Feb 2015
The premonition of love triangle is real,i like her childhood friends that is protective yet tsundere than itsuomi that goes suddenly and appear next. Second lead syndrome is attacking again.
Jan 13, 8:23 AM

Dec 2019
I'm in love with this anime
I don't know what to say-

Jan 13, 8:26 AM
Dec 2023
rizz lord at it again
Jan 13, 8:31 AM
Apr 2015
Reply to BrettWatchesTV
Show is still holding up really well and I can’t wait for the next one. We’re introducing a possible love triangle in ep 2, but Oushi is such a dick. I’m used to there at least being some compelling reasons to like the other guy, but between him coddling her, thinking deaf people should avoid unfamiliar things, and the way he shrugged off Yuuki to her friend as “being deaf” just makes him horrible 😭. He acts like he’s considerate for her disability but you immediately out yourself if the first thing you do with others is bring up another’s disability and make them sound like a burden.

Also why does Itsuo keep petting her 😭
@BrettWatchesTV headpat is a sign of affection
Jan 13, 8:42 AM

Feb 2019
“What’s the difference between a crush and love”

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing Yuki come to terms with her feelings for Itsuomi over the course of the episode. Seeing someone experience their first love is always beautiful. But what I really enjoyed was this theme of “entering into new worlds”. Yuki has kind of lived in a bubble her whole life due to her disability and people wanting to protect her. Itsuomi is someone who’s constantly seeking new experiences, countries, languages, etc., to grow as a person. Yuki sees that and is really motivated to step out of her comfort zone which is so good.

I already feel bad for the childhood friend cause it’s clear he likes Yuki and cares for her a lot. But his overprotectiveness is actually not good for her development. I like the contrast between he and Itsuomi in the episode as being the status quo vs a new world for Yuki to enter. Like even when her friend comes up to hug her he gets all defensive and doesn’t want that to happen. He’s gotta let Yuki live her life, make mistakes, get hurt, it’s all part of the process.

Could be a reach but, I also think the crush vs love distinction in the episode is the childhood friend vs Itsuomi. A crush is an infatuation, maybe you like the idea of someone vs love which is wanting them to be happy no matter what even if not with you. Oushi has more of a crush on Yuki since he’s not really onboard with her taking risks and going out of her bubble. True love isn’t selfish. Little early to say for sure, but the vibe I got.

I didn’t know you could interpret someone’s mood from how they sign as well. Yuki noticing how nervous Oushi must’ve been for her during that conversation was interesting.

Also really cool to see a guy who travels a lot and loves learning languages in an anime. Finally someone I can say “he’s just like me” to 😂

I can already tell this will be one of my faves. Production values are great, but the writing, characters, subtleties etc are all so well done and I can only imagine them getting better. Yuki is the sweetest thing in the world and deserves infinite headpats.

Such a good time for shoujo right now and I couldn’t be happier.
Marinate1016Jan 13, 9:10 AM
Jan 13, 8:42 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Looks like Yuki has fallen hard for Itsuomi. Must be nice being able to pop to other countries during term time though. Its nice that we got to meet more of Yuki's friends as well. Thats some souvenir that Itsuomi brought back though. The insight into Yuki's past though was pretty interesting. But it did well to reinforce her newfound realization of her new feelings. Curious though at what Oushi makes of this though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 8:44 AM
Oct 2019
SO CUTE AAAAAAAAAA, what a beautiful episode, every time I feel like I'm going to explode with emotion!
Jan 13, 9:14 AM

Dec 2022
well its back again i love when yuki gets nervous anyway yuki found out what feelings she had
Jan 13, 9:16 AM
Dec 2023
Probably the cutest anime of the season.
Jan 13, 9:18 AM

May 2021
Is Yuki's whole personality being shy, cute, deaf, and in love? Just asking. Too much criticism against the typical plank male character and this is quite literally the same lmao

Jan 13, 9:34 AM
Aug 2017
Not as good as the first episode
Jan 13, 9:37 AM

Mar 2020
This could be walking a fine line for me, with the addition of Oushi, Yuki's childhood friend, which is a trope that could work out great, or really bring this down depending on how it's executed. I wonder how Oushi and Itsuomi's dynamic will be like in the future, and I feel like a lot of my enjoyment toward this show might ride on that.

The OST continues to be very good, and really hammering the wholesome moments home, that's probably my favourite thing about this show at the moment, and there's Yuki's happy moments that are really nice to see.
Jan 13, 9:50 AM
Feb 2023
This story is so pure and pretty. I love how the characters relate to each other ♥
Jan 13, 9:57 AM
Nov 2020
I’m probably wrong but Itsuomi seems like a red flag . Her childhood friend might be overprotective but it seems like he really cares deeply for her.
Jan 13, 9:59 AM
Dec 2014
Great episode, Yuki is a sweetheart.
Jan 13, 10:00 AM

Sep 2017
Oushi has a small part of him the is looking out for Yuki but he mostly just comes off as an edgy creep who'd rather keep Yuki locked up in a deaf person encampment in his backyard or some shit.
Jan 13, 10:08 AM
Apr 2015
Reply to Mainnus
Did Itsoumi bump into Yuki on purpose?

A nice set up for dramatic tension between Oushi and Itsoumi, wonder what kind of relation it going be.
@Mainnus no it was on accident. The scene is changed a bit so it makes jt look like he did it on purpose. But in the manga he was actually talking to a guy while walking and bumped into her
Jan 13, 10:20 AM
Sep 2016
Hmm.... rather than going for the SoL route Yubisaki to Renren chose to walk the path of a more shoujo romance, huh!? (well, it is shoujo afterall...)

The introduction of a romantic interest osananajimi could either break or make the most wholesome title. Still waiting for what comes next to properly judge this. Yes, osananajimi love rival can make a good story. ex: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo suru, etc. It all depends on the presentations really. (I did say "can" though, I agree that often times the intro of an osananajimi love rival makes the story toxic instead)

That being said, I do agree with some others here: not enough JSL! We crave for more JSL! Well, Itsuomi is on his way to learning it, so we may have more JSL in future I hope!?

On another note, if you crave for more hearing impaired themed romances, Amayo no Tsuki maybe a good recommendation. It's not adapted into anime yet, but it's yuri.... So yuri lovers, rejoice! Much like most yuri title though, it focus more on the drama. Especially since the author (Kuzushiro) is also the one behind Ani no Yome to Kurashiteimasu, which can be a bit over dramatic at times.... (I still love both of Kuzushiro's titles though)
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jan 13, 10:29 AM

Sep 2021
This anime is really good.
Jan 13, 10:30 AM

Mar 2021
Oh so Yuki made herself a main character by dying her hair pink in university XD

Oushi is giving protective vibes bordering on jealousy. Hopefully he gets his own love interest soon so Yuki and Itsuomi can shine :)

The Laos souvenir and Yuki's reaction lol ^^
Jan 13, 10:39 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
They introduced a childhood friend character in this one, Oushi, and he seems like a chill lad, besides the fact he teases Yuki with sign language lol, I did really like how he helped that deaf guy when he accidentally didn’t pay the fare, and it seems like there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to his relationship with Yuki, I can see a potential love triangle here which I’m not against but I’m sure others might not share the same sentiment lol.

And we also got some backstory on Yuki’s childhood which connected to how she’s currently feeling with Itsuomi and it has a lot to do with wanting to expand her world, and Itsuomi is already doing that by sending Yuki pics of his trip to Laos. And at the same time we also got to see Yuki go from thinking she was just crushing on Itsuomi to confirming her feelings of love, happened pretty fast which I appreciate, now I really look forward to seeing how she tackles things with Itsuomi going forward. And lastly I really liked the amount of sign language in this one, I was hoping it wouldn’t all just be texts and lip reading, and with Oushi who already knows sign language and Itsuomi is currently learning it, I hope we’ll be seeing it more from now on.
Jan 13, 10:41 AM

May 2020
Yeah like I said last time, this is one of those series where a character starts loving the other character from the get-go.. for reasons genuinely unknown, except for the fact that they're physically attractive.

Okay but this is still fine, or rather more than fine. Though I feel the inclusion of this childhood friend won't bring this series much good.

I mean this Oushi guy already has every qualities I hate the most in a character.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

195 by brii_23 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
May 11, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

» SEASON 2???!!

kisaragi_eki - Apr 9

18 by Vicky9anime »»
May 1, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

116 by bucciest »»
Apr 30, 4:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.