Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2023 4:46 PM

Apr 2015
I knew it was coming but still hurts ;-;

Oct 27, 2023 12:16 AM

Apr 2022
gesicht goes down next. she may be a robot, but you gotta feel for his wife. was really liking ali. sahad had it rough as well.
Oct 27, 2023 3:21 AM
Aug 2020
it's a masterpiece, not a 8 or 9,but a 10!!!

it is so so good, 1 hour per episode is the correct time per episode.

i was not expecting the story to be like that.

we saw a lot of anime with robot but this one is probably one of the best...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 27, 2023 5:59 AM
Sep 2019
That scene still hurts so much
Oct 27, 2023 4:45 PM

Mar 2019
Wow, what a tense episode..

R.I.P. Gesicht, it won't stay like this!
Oct 27, 2023 10:21 PM
Jan 2019
I cant process this, Gesicht one of my favorite characters
Oct 27, 2023 10:49 PM
Jan 2022
we saw gesicht already done his best to understand himself, but that ending 😔
Oct 28, 2023 7:47 AM

Mar 2023
Hate and sorrow. Great episode
Oct 28, 2023 8:12 AM
Jun 2021
I did not expect gesicht to die, he learned about what happened to him again. Can't to wait watch analysis videos when i am done watching the anime
Oct 28, 2023 9:24 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Oh, wow. The manga didn't get me nearly this bad. The build up with his wife trying to forget about her grief by pretending to be human in Japan. Then, Tenma's encouragement to fake the tears until they are real. I jsut imagined what it must feel like to be so sad, but unable to express it properly. Then Tenma himself truly letting it out over his son. It got me really good :'(

Beautiful and tragic episode.
Oct 29, 2023 11:38 AM
Sep 2022
This is wayyy too good
Oct 29, 2023 6:10 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to KingYoshi
Oh, wow. The manga didn't get me nearly this bad. The build up with his wife trying to forget about her grief by pretending to be human in Japan. Then, Tenma's encouragement to fake the tears until they are real. I jsut imagined what it must feel like to be so sad, but unable to express it properly. Then Tenma himself truly letting it out over his son. It got me really good :'(

Beautiful and tragic episode.
@KingYoshi
Watching the anime is such an improved experience, I don't recall having that much fun with the manga
:v
Oct 29, 2023 10:44 PM

Sep 2016
i really wish some of the trailers for this didn't have the scene where gesicht dies -- like the scene is literally put right in the beginning of one trailer i saw. i was so confused by their inclusion in the trailers that i wrote it off as a fake-out death scene, but no, he actually does die. that being said, it definitely affected my reaction to the scene, which is unfortunate. however, this is another beautiful episode. the part where gesicht tells sahad that abullah doesn't love him was pretty fucked up, and hearing sahad's cries of agony echo throughout really got to me. the scene between epsilon and abullah was my favorite, though. i love any scene with him.
Oct 29, 2023 11:31 PM

Jan 2009
rest in peace gesicht best robot ever
Oct 29, 2023 11:33 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Reply to MichaelJackson
@KingYoshi
Watching the anime is such an improved experience, I don't recall having that much fun with the manga
@MichaelJackson Well, even as someone like myself who really loved the manga (it is in my top 20,) I think the anime is definitely enhancing pretty much every aspect of the story. Like, I still felt the emotion of the death scene while reading, but I didn't actually tear up like I did in the anime. This is hitting way harder in anime form, for sure.
Oct 29, 2023 11:37 PM

Oct 2013
Gesicht, noo! 😭 Wake up!

Great episode. I think the best one so far. Pure cinema.
Oct 30, 2023 4:47 PM

Nov 2016
The fact that it was done by Ali made it hurt even more. Dang, what an episode....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 30, 2023 5:14 PM
Sep 2018
The author is completely incapable of detective work. The whole mystery was solved by the fact that mc accidentally meets “people” who have the information he needs. First, a person with a video, then a Ali who knows the robot from a photo, how convenient. The show is still good, but the detective elements is horribly done.
Oct 30, 2023 9:43 PM
Apr 2021
Amor y aceptación me a parecido el mejor capitulo
Oct 30, 2023 9:57 PM

Jun 2021
The way he said you can imitate first until it becomes natural. Robots like them could cry.. Really felt it, that last scene TT_TT
Oct 31, 2023 9:33 AM

Jul 2016
I’ll put this post on this episode thread as not to spoil anyone on a general thread.

But the fact Gesicht dies, and not in the last like chapter or two, is something to mention. Because off the top of my head, only one other anime has the main character die before then (even though they changed it from the manga where it didn’t happen). And even if they die right at the end, it’s still rare to happen.
Penguins are funny
Nov 1, 2023 5:31 PM
Jan 2016
So, uh, if robots can basically jump between bodies by moving their head or part of it elsewhere, why would Gesicht die from someone blowing a hole in his chest...?
I feel like I'm watching a show where events happen based on "where the story needs to go" at any given moment, not arising organically from the characters' thoughts and decisions.
Nov 2, 2023 2:26 AM

Oct 2019
As it turned out Pluto was not Gesicht, so my prediction was wrong. We didn't see if Abullah was apprehended or, if he escaped, how he managed to do it.

The ravaging of Persia works as a real-life analogue to Iraq, where the United States conjured BS excuses to attack the country after 9/11; it's surely not coincidental that King Darius looks just like Saddam Hussein.

And just like in the real world the United States of "Thracia" were never punished for it. The winners are never punished after all. They're the ones who do the punishing and write the history books. In the real world they wanted the resources of Iraq and in this story they wanted the advanced robots of Persia.

Even though the robots did not directly kill humans in Persia many were killed indirectly, as invariably happens in wars. The robotic law against killing humans only covers intent, not results.
Nov 3, 2023 6:44 PM
Mar 2019
It shocked me in the Manga and just as much in the Anime.
Killing your main character off way before the end.
Never expected that!!
Nov 3, 2023 7:31 PM
Aug 2020
First of all, sorry for the probably bad quality English reply.

10/10 episode.
There aren't many anime or any other type of movie that left me crying after the credits. I don't know why there isn't really anything that made me cry before this but probably one reason that I can think of is these type of traumatizing events are normally predictable. I liked how it put another new layer to the 39th Central Asian War part with showing us Abullah's view on it and how the episode made the robots feel much more human at the end. I can easily say that this is the best episode of anything that I've seen this year (for me).
The show itself up until now is an unpredictable rollercoaster in my experience (in a good way).
Nov 4, 2023 7:46 AM

Jan 2021
Man detective Gesicht has been my favorite character yet can’t believe they would kill him off like that felt bad for his wife right when Gesicht got it all figured and was ready to move on he dies
Nov 5, 2023 10:31 AM

Oct 2019
"Everything starts with imitation"

This episode changed my view from 'this might fall flat in the end' to 'this is absolutely fantastic'. How in the world did I dare to even think Urasawa would deliver anything less than a thematic masterpiece? I have no words.

The final scene actually impressed me even more than Gesichts death. I feel like it's a thematic turning point. Despite that, Gesicht getting shot by Ali was understandably even more unexpected than Atom being incapacitated. With two episodes left, I think Gesicht's arc will go on through his wife and friends and will ultimately be brought to a close when we find out why Atom cried for him.

The second half has brought HUGE improvements on the show. Even though I liked the first half, it was evident that it was mostly setup and in-roads. Now shit goes down. I'm very impressed.
Nov 6, 2023 11:51 AM

Oct 2013
i'm crying so hard .. the fuck they make me cry over an Ai :(
Nov 6, 2023 8:50 PM

Nov 2021
despite knowing that Gesicht will die in this episode, it still hit me hard (┬┬﹏┬┬)
tbh because of the voice acting it felt more tearjerker than it felt in the manga.
Nov 6, 2023 9:48 PM

Mar 2012
Wtf, not my boy Gesicht...These death flags have not been messing around.
Nov 7, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2012
I really like the decision to have these episodes be an hour long. So much jaw-dropping content

Sahad was Abdullah's robot botanist son which King Darius knew about (if Abdullah is just maintaining the same post in the ministry of science after Persia transitioned to a republic). Like the tulip he cultivated when he was Sahad, Pluto competes with the other greatest robots in the world; survival of the fittest. Was Goji how Pluto got Tenma's chip?

One of Epsilon's war orphans can tell the scientist that showed up at Howard's funeral was a familiar face... Hoffman is in danger.

I will say the Iraq war analogue does not work 100% when Persia does turn out to have a WMD robot. Though they have made Pluto be Abdullah's revenge after the invasion(?) and not a valid casus belli for the United States of Thracia.

Not Gesicht too! Damn..
Fortress_MaximusNov 8, 2023 1:48 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 9, 2023 3:51 AM
May 2021
This episode was the best one so far
Nov 9, 2023 8:42 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to pip25
So, uh, if robots can basically jump between bodies by moving their head or part of it elsewhere, why would Gesicht die from someone blowing a hole in his chest...?
I feel like I'm watching a show where events happen based on "where the story needs to go" at any given moment, not arising organically from the characters' thoughts and decisions.
@pip25 till now, that property has only been shown by pluto though, how are you assuming everyone can do that?
Nov 9, 2023 12:59 PM
Jan 2016
Reply to Blueberry173
@pip25 till now, that property has only been shown by pluto though, how are you assuming everyone can do that?
Actually, this ability has also been demonstrated by the random humanlike robot who was possessed by Pluto (the one who Uran met). Brando and Hercules also used this very ability to pilot their mech bodies, which gives the impression that their robot opponents were likewise capable of doing this. There was also at least one more example that I can recall, though admittedly in a later episode than this one, so as a spoiler I can't mention it here.
All in all, this seemed to be treated as a pretty standard, widely available feature of the robots, so why would Gesicht of all people not be able to do this? Or even if, let's say, his AI unit would not be as easily ejectable as the others', it makes little sense why it would become unrepairably damaged if the body component shuts down.
pip25Nov 9, 2023 1:03 PM
Nov 9, 2023 2:33 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Holy shit, what a depressing episode. This show really has a way with deaths, literally every major character I thought would have some form of plot armor was shockingly killed.
Nov 9, 2023 8:39 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to pip25
Actually, this ability has also been demonstrated by the random humanlike robot who was possessed by Pluto (the one who Uran met). Brando and Hercules also used this very ability to pilot their mech bodies, which gives the impression that their robot opponents were likewise capable of doing this. There was also at least one more example that I can recall, though admittedly in a later episode than this one, so as a spoiler I can't mention it here.
All in all, this seemed to be treated as a pretty standard, widely available feature of the robots, so why would Gesicht of all people not be able to do this? Or even if, let's say, his AI unit would not be as easily ejectable as the others', it makes little sense why it would become unrepairably damaged if the body component shuts down.
@pip25 actually, yeah, I understand, it makes sense, i guess the only possible explanation would be that gesicht's "conciousness" is something stored near that region? Just like the construction worker had in in their neck, brando and hercules in their head (and the heart region iirc) so they probably specifically targetted that part of gesicht.
I mean, no one was stopping Ali from blowing gesicht's head, yet he didn't, i think its reasonable to think he damaged the most vital part.

We already know that if these vital parts are damaged, they cannot be brought back as the memory chips are literally just a memory card full of records and not their personality and conciousness.
Nov 10, 2023 2:25 AM
Jan 2016
Reply to Blueberry173
@pip25 actually, yeah, I understand, it makes sense, i guess the only possible explanation would be that gesicht's "conciousness" is something stored near that region? Just like the construction worker had in in their neck, brando and hercules in their head (and the heart region iirc) so they probably specifically targetted that part of gesicht.
I mean, no one was stopping Ali from blowing gesicht's head, yet he didn't, i think its reasonable to think he damaged the most vital part.

We already know that if these vital parts are damaged, they cannot be brought back as the memory chips are literally just a memory card full of records and not their personality and conciousness.
@Blueberry173 Yeah, that would make sense if not for the fact that Gesicht initially did not even notice he was shot. If his AI was targeted, I doubt he would have been able to say several sentences before toppling over.
Nov 10, 2023 8:07 AM

Apr 2009
Reply to GunGraveGlaive
The author is completely incapable of detective work. The whole mystery was solved by the fact that mc accidentally meets “people” who have the information he needs. First, a person with a video, then a Ali who knows the robot from a photo, how convenient. The show is still good, but the detective elements is horribly done.
@GunGraveGlaive uhm, that guy seems to be well known in that area, he literally created a tupil garden in the desert. Most people would have known who he was.
Nov 11, 2023 1:00 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to GunGraveGlaive
@GunGraveGlaive

You missed the point. He was well known enough that a lot of people knew him.

And when you can find one person who knows the guy, it's pretty easy to make the rest of the connections.

The only find that was by pure luck, was the robot boy selling flowers, that's it.

The rest were completely logical, you just failed to fill the gaps.

-after knowing his name, he found where he lived and asked the neighbour - > old lady
-The he found his teacher -> the scientist guy
- there he learned about how the guy liked flowers, so he went to the place where he used to buy flowers from.

All of these are things that he could have arrived at very easily.

Again, the only lucky random encounter, was the robot selling flowers.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Nov 12, 2023 3:18 AM
Feb 2015
I feel bad for Helena, the gap between human and robot moral are blurry in this anime. Hope this won't be the end for Gesicht.
Nov 13, 2023 10:46 PM

Mar 2021
Damn I read that Geischt died 2 years ago but it hit so much harder in the anime. This one of those times where the anime is vastly superior to the manga.
Nov 13, 2023 11:38 PM

Jun 2020
This whole show is fucked in the best way possible. I wrote all this down in the notes app before I got to Gesicht’s death scene 👇 Add that beautiful final scene to my praise of the directing.

“This is one of the best directed anime episodes I’ve ever seen. The perfect camera cuts, and the cinematography when Gesicht was infiltrating the base and where he was in the flower field before that.
One thing that I noticed very well this episode was that Gesicht was constantly getting surprised/shocked by the discoveries he made. I don’t know how often this happened in earlier episodes, but I feel like it just expresses how much he is starting to understand emotions. Also telling the adorable flower robot to have “hope”.
^I wrote that paragraph before I got into the meat of this episode. Gesicht has shown a lot more than just surprise, his genuine compassion to Pluto and his wife were amazing to see. I hope they adopt that flower robot from Persia if they do start a family 🙏 “(AND I WROTE ALL THIS BEFORE HE DIED)

Gesicht and Braus are my favorite characters so far. Abullah is very interesting I wonder where they take him.
Nov 18, 2023 8:45 PM

Apr 2015
It's kind of amazing even though, I had seen much from the media of animation and mangas, I was just no prepared for such an early emotional gut-punch we had for Gesischt death's right after the conclusion of his character's arc. You don't see many MC's getting off-ed like this in such tragic but "graceful" fashion knowodays. Thankfully, they made the closure instead of just acting in the background for the remaining episodes, where I am guessing Astro(Atom) will take the reins once again.

But also it makes all the more hurt for so many other reasons :

- Helena's grieving process ending on the most heartfelt note of the series yet, coupled with the most out-there character in Dr. Tenma distant attitude, yet still so emotional because he knows both of them were hurting just as much but they needed the push of each other to properly let it all out.

- The original sin of killing Haas's brother being the fact Gesischt's adopted son was kidnapped/murdered by him. No wonder it made him feel this kind of hatred into such a strong emotion, it could override it's emotional barriers.

*sigh* Gotta wonder to what kind of conclusion this story will lead to. If you know Urasawa's previous works ... I kind of doubt this will be the most beautiful of outcomes.

Anywoo, I'm still sad this anime has yet to receive the recognition it deserves. Thanks to Netflix, it exists but it should've spread a bit more, no ?
Nov 19, 2023 6:22 AM

May 2021
Reply to pip25
@pip25
From what I have seen so far, it seems the difference is that while robots like Brando and Hercules have to physically transfer their computerized brains, Pluto can do that without having to be physically present.

On to the episode, I didn't think they would get even Gesicht. Loved how he humbled Pluto though.

Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM
Jul 2021
RIP Gesicht. An overall superb episode. I won't blame anyone for not liking this anime, though I must say I have plenty of reasons to love this manga/anime.
JoexySunNov 19, 2023 10:25 PM
Nov 20, 2023 5:50 AM

Jan 2020
Damn, that hurt. Didn't expect gesicht to die in not even the penultimate episode
man.
Nov 20, 2023 11:11 AM

Nov 2013
Damn, I totally missed how Gesicht death-flagging himself with "let's get a baby when I come back" speech. Props to the author, got me totally off guard with that kill. Perhaps because he was the MC.

I'm confused here. If Atom actually died too, then Epsilon is the sole survivor and there's two episodes left. Is that all? Confused about what will we see in those 2 remaining hours. Hunt for Abdulah and end of Pluto? Who will take the role of MC though?

Anyways, we all knew Abdulah was the villain, now we know he turned his sun into Pluto aka the vengeance-weapon. What is left to explore? Oh and it also explains why Pluto was different when Uran met him. Abdulah is truly a POS using his innocent son like that.
Nov 20, 2023 1:56 PM
May 2022
I'm not crying...you are..
Nov 20, 2023 2:06 PM

Apr 2019
"It's just as Gesicht said. He told me that the air in japan had faint traces of soy sauce". that shit made me cry.

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Nov 23, 2023 3:08 PM
May 2011
This episode is a masterpiece.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MegamiRem - Oct 26, 2023

124 by PrOxAnto »»
May 14, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 5 Discussion

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

46 by PrOxAnto »»
May 13, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

194 by PrOxAnto »»
May 11, 7:31 AM

» Lflix 🤡😔 ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 12, 2023

70 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 6, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

61 by Ariel0499 »»
Apr 14, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.