Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2023 5:57 AM

Mar 2023
Solid adaptation. Loving it so far
Oct 26, 2023 6:59 AM

Feb 2020
Lmao, they got a KKK against robots now.
Oct 26, 2023 7:28 AM

Apr 2015
We got Johan cosplaying again.Also the official "reveal" of Pluto.

A lot of sub plots so far, things will connect eventually.
Oct 26, 2023 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
I'm typically getting annoyed with minor changes from the manga, but I am glad they changed the KR group's costume design. It felt too on the nose with the KKK analogy in the manga, with this it's more subtle.
Oct 26, 2023 3:47 PM
Aug 2020
excellent episode

i keep enjoying this story
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 26, 2023 5:59 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to removed-user
I'm typically getting annoyed with minor changes from the manga, but I am glad they changed the KR group's costume design. It felt too on the nose with the KKK analogy in the manga, with this it's more subtle.
rawrzawr said:
It felt too on the nose with the KKK analogy in the manga, with this it's more subtle.
100% agree with this. This would honestly have been my only complaint from the manga. The racism allegory is very much *there* in the original Astro Boy manga, but I felt the KR groups overall ,"thing", was too blatant.

Halfway through this episode, and it's fantastic. Although I'm watching this in English, I have to acknowledge what great casting Mamorou Miyano is as Epsilon. Will have to check out the Japanese dub once I'm done watching this.
Oct 26, 2023 11:01 PM

Apr 2022
uran and epsilon are here, i remember initially being confused for a while about epsilon's gender while reading but we got miyano here. i think that was miki shinichiro as pluto. gesicht and his wife are questioning their memories and adolf's backstory hit. anti-robot cult on the rise.
Oct 27, 2023 8:36 AM

Mar 2019
As soon as the lions and tigers appeared, I remembered that Uran has the power to communicate with animals, I immediately thought: Uran must appear to resolve this, said and done hehe.
Oct 27, 2023 12:09 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
The glorious Uran! Gesicht and his wife's scene of realization was also super well done.
Oct 27, 2023 2:42 PM
May 2021
Series is going great soo far!!
Oct 27, 2023 3:41 PM
May 2022
Reply to Tomatogal
rawrzawr said:
It felt too on the nose with the KKK analogy in the manga, with this it's more subtle.
100% agree with this. This would honestly have been my only complaint from the manga. The racism allegory is very much *there* in the original Astro Boy manga, but I felt the KR groups overall ,"thing", was too blatant.

Halfway through this episode, and it's fantastic. Although I'm watching this in English, I have to acknowledge what great casting Mamorou Miyano is as Epsilon. Will have to check out the Japanese dub once I'm done watching this.
Tomatogal said:
I have to acknowledge what great casting Mamorou Miyano is as Epsilon
I knew I recognized that voice.
Oct 27, 2023 3:42 PM
May 2022
Reply to ryzxgum
uran and epsilon are here, i remember initially being confused for a while about epsilon's gender while reading but we got miyano here. i think that was miki shinichiro as pluto. gesicht and his wife are questioning their memories and adolf's backstory hit. anti-robot cult on the rise.
@ryzxgum I just finished ep 3 and I have to ask: does the anime eventually show what Adolf´s brother did?
Oct 27, 2023 3:43 PM
May 2022
I´m not understanding everything 100% so far, but I´m sure by the end I will.
Oct 27, 2023 4:56 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Reply to Dan_ALves
@ryzxgum I just finished ep 3 and I have to ask: does the anime eventually show what Adolf´s brother did?
@Dan_ALves Indeed. Well, the manga does, so I assume the anime will too.
Oct 27, 2023 6:03 PM
May 2022
Reply to KingYoshi
@Dan_ALves Indeed. Well, the manga does, so I assume the anime will too.
@KingYoshi I hope so. What the hell was so horrible that even his brother couldn´t find a way to defend him.
Oct 28, 2023 1:23 AM

Jan 2009
the cycle of hate between humans and robots aka racism or us vs them mentality

we got another mystery name its bora and its other name is pluto that have weather powers like tornado and growing flowers and its mission is to kill atom and the great robots
Oct 28, 2023 12:27 PM

Aug 2022
Loved the episode! I noticed a couple of changes from the manga, but it's nothing significant and they don't affect the plot at all. Anyway I imagined that Epsilon's hair was blond, but blue looks good too.
Oct 28, 2023 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
Ayo, that flower robot looked like Dr. Tenma

Nice episode, presenting several points of views. We could also learn more about Adolf and the origins of his hatred towards robots.

While overall the whole episode was enjoyable, I enjoyed the most the scenes with Gesicht noticing that there's something wrong with his memories, including that scene when he and his wife were watching photos from their trip to Spain.

The part with Pluto and the whole mystery covering it was really cool. You could feel the suspense and menacing atmosphere of a powerful uncertainty hiding in the shadows and coming out to hunt down the most advanced robots ever made.
Oct 28, 2023 7:46 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to removed-user
@rawrzawr One of the biggest cons of this episode to me was this part. I'm not a fan of portraying the problem of racism with the generic KKK-like designs and neonazi-themed gestures. It feels lazy and in the context of this story it was unfitting. Robots are getting rights, they are living among humans, some humans oppose such turn of events - it's a great situation to come up with something more original than moving back to the concepts of the past.

From what you've written, this analogy was even more blatant in the manga. While I'm not familiar with the source material, I can only be happy the anime went a slightly different route. Not perfect for my taste, but way better than what I heard about the designs used in the manga.
Oct 29, 2023 1:56 PM

Nov 2016
This episode introduced plenty of interesting characters. Uran who can sense feelings(her design from Astro Boy is rather famous), Epsilon who's a pacifist, Adolf who vehemently rejects robots(an anti robot cult was to be expected; didn't think it would be basically the Ku Klux Klan tho xD) and some others.

The Pluto fake-out reveal was pulled off well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 29, 2023 2:29 PM
Apr 2022
Pretty good episode but I feel like it’s too fragmented - there are several sub plots that leave you feeling disoriented and after three hours the tone / atmosphere is still all over the place. Interesting concept for an anime but the execution is a little off it feels rushed
Oct 30, 2023 12:20 AM
Sep 2017
Love everything about it!
Oct 30, 2023 4:57 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
And the mystery continues.

This episode really hit close to home especially with the horrifying cleansing happening in Gaza as we speak, the exclamation "save the oppressed" line really puts that into words perfectly.
Oct 30, 2023 1:11 PM
May 2021
That ending literally gave me chills. This getting really interesting!
Oct 31, 2023 2:18 PM
Aug 2021
The evil scientist appeared. It seems that Pluto's brain is transferable from body.
Nov 1, 2023 11:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Finally we watch a bit of Pluto!
The power of revive flowers and controlate the nature seems amazing for a robot, but the human that controle it, will controle the world!
kekeke
Nov 1, 2023 3:41 PM

Feb 2012
A man named Adolf in Germany joins a group that discriminates against particular individuals and raises their hands for the salute. Just as blatant as the Iraq War parallel. The "there are no terrorists here" scene is still relevant to this day.

Meanwhile, Gesich may have memory loss. I think the photographs he and his wife took during their vacation in Spain were to block out his memory of killing Adolf's brother (who may have been involved in the incident he has in his sudden flashbacks, maybe Adolf's brother was selling/buying him and Gesitch lashed out).

Pluto was remotely hijacking a construction robot's off-work body and befriends Uran, was the art and flowers genuine or was it part of his deception?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 2, 2023 10:27 PM
Mar 2019
The dramatic pacing is quite good. This is, just like the original Astroboy, a case of robots being more human than humans.
Nov 2, 2023 11:28 PM

Nov 2008
Fortress_Maximus said:
A man named Adolf in Germany joins a group that discriminates against particular individuals and raises their hands for the salute. Just as blatant as the Iraq War parallel.

Their right hand* Only the leader raised both hands. Apart from that, exactly my thoughts. Naoki Urasawa's portrayal of evil is very simplified and banal - I remember it being like that in 20th Century Boys as well.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Nov 5, 2023 7:37 AM
Apr 2020
Fire
Especially discussion between mecha suit guy and sun(not spoiler)
Nov 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to Adnash
Ayo, that flower robot looked like Dr. Tenma

Nice episode, presenting several points of views. We could also learn more about Adolf and the origins of his hatred towards robots.

While overall the whole episode was enjoyable, I enjoyed the most the scenes with Gesicht noticing that there's something wrong with his memories, including that scene when he and his wife were watching photos from their trip to Spain.

The part with Pluto and the whole mystery covering it was really cool. You could feel the suspense and menacing atmosphere of a powerful uncertainty hiding in the shadows and coming out to hunt down the most advanced robots ever made.
@Adnash Yea he really did look like Tenma huh lol. Then there was Epsilon who reminded me of Johan.

I wonder what horrible thing happened that Gesicht and his wife had their memories altered. Hopefully they can have their vacation by the end of the series but knowing how these things go...
Nov 6, 2023 5:32 PM
Sep 2016
The reveal of Adolf's name being Adolf was very effective for me. The death to robots chant was already a KKK meeting with white cloaks and saluting but damn. Hearing his real name being spoken stopped me in my tracks
Nov 8, 2023 12:14 AM

Jun 2020
Damn this anime is so good i have so many theories floating around my head rn

I’m still amazed at the things this old manga predicts. That scene where Arab babies were bombed under the saying of “saving the oppressed” is hauntingly similar to a war that’s going on right now.

So Abdullah is at least controlling Pluto, who has properties of weather? I think that Gesicht memory was wiped because he had killed Adolf’s brother. His main scientist seems fishy but I bet it’s just because he wants to cover that up.

The worldbuilding this episode was amazing. So the final special robots we got left are Hercules, Gesicht, Atom, and Epsilon (bro is beautiful by the way). I like Uran a lot too and her special ability to sense emotions from a far distance. What a cool parallel to be saving a boy in danger surrounded by cops at the start of the episode, to being the one seen as “in danger” and surrounded by the end of it.
Nov 10, 2023 8:25 PM

Sep 2011
Reply to Dumb
Damn this anime is so good i have so many theories floating around my head rn

I’m still amazed at the things this old manga predicts. That scene where Arab babies were bombed under the saying of “saving the oppressed” is hauntingly similar to a war that’s going on right now.

So Abdullah is at least controlling Pluto, who has properties of weather? I think that Gesicht memory was wiped because he had killed Adolf’s brother. His main scientist seems fishy but I bet it’s just because he wants to cover that up.

The worldbuilding this episode was amazing. So the final special robots we got left are Hercules, Gesicht, Atom, and Epsilon (bro is beautiful by the way). I like Uran a lot too and her special ability to sense emotions from a far distance. What a cool parallel to be saving a boy in danger surrounded by cops at the start of the episode, to being the one seen as “in danger” and surrounded by the end of it.
@Jailed I think the sad thing is its not that pluto was predicting anything, and more its just nothing has truly changed in the last 20 years.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 11, 2023 11:23 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to JizzyHitler
@Jailed I think the sad thing is its not that pluto was predicting anything, and more its just nothing has truly changed in the last 20 years.
@JizzyHitler Yeah I didn’t really mean it predicted it in a tone-deaf way, more so that no matter what time period we’re in, horrible acts will always happen like that.
Nov 12, 2023 4:41 AM

May 2021
Nice to see Johan and Tenma make cameos in this anime. Pretty cool of them.

Nov 15, 2023 9:20 AM

Nov 2017
A character named Adolf and is part of some kind of cult that wants to exterminate all robots. Huh, why does this sound familiar?
Nov 19, 2023 9:43 AM

Mar 2012
Those anti-robot guys are the most sane people in this anime. Robots eating and drinking like humans and even going to school!? It couldn't get any stupider.
Nov 20, 2023 3:36 AM

Nov 2013
So my thoughts about Pluto were correct. He comes from Persia and is an avenger. It was nice to see he has a soft side too but apparently gets consumed by hate and goes on a rampage (albeit controlled rage, since bystanders don't get killed).

I'm not familiar with the universe of Pluto/Astro-boy but I'd assume Uran was built after the war since her name didn't trigger Pluto (unlike Atom).
Nov 22, 2023 3:36 PM
Aug 2018
Awesome episode. It might be argued that this episode was slow and uneventful compared to the first two episodes, but what Pluto does well is they make the fullest use of each episode. One episode might be 90% action and 10% dialogue, and the next will be 10% action and 90% dialogue, but you feel both episodes are just as important. This show is like a 50s murder mystery noir, and I love it. This episode made it clear to me as a viewer that we have more than just one arc to pay attention to.
Nov 26, 2023 12:49 PM

Jul 2017
A slow-burn but good episode once again with multiple things going on and the full hour being used effectively with various plotlines to have things remain captivating, especially surrounding Pluto and the rising issue for Gesicht and his potential tampered memories.
Nov 27, 2023 4:41 AM
Oct 2019
Adolf who???

We got introduction to many characters in this episode.

I'm waiting for all the Plot to coming together.
Nov 27, 2023 11:00 AM
Nov 2020
solid third episode in pluto!
Nov 29, 2023 9:16 PM
Mar 2015
Finally a title drop
Dec 3, 2023 11:12 AM

Jul 2022
Oh my god this is intense as shit

Also was I the only one who first thought of Nazis instead of the KKK during the gathering scene, despite their outfits? Probably due to setting being in Germany and my subs being in german, but also like, the dude's name was Adolf... Lol
scorpioniclibraDec 3, 2023 11:22 AM
Dec 5, 2023 6:51 AM

Jul 2013
Uran is a robot isn't she? An AI robot. Then why tf is she acting like an immature little kid. That's what she is outside nothing more. Also that Pluto, reviving plants and making storms out of nowhere, that's not science or technology that's just plain magic.
Dec 8, 2023 12:34 AM

Apr 2015
Oh so Gesicht is also part of the War robots and we finally find out who Pluto is!
Title drop episode! Enjoying this so far and the pieces are gradually connecting.
Gesicht , Hercules, Brando, Nolan north, Atom, Epsilon, Montblanc. Abullah is the one who controls Pluto and seemingly the perpetrator behind the robot attacks, Atleast thats how it is so far. Also Epsilon's powers look so rad!
So now we have all 7 robots. 3 of whom are dead.
BiisooDec 8, 2023 12:38 AM
Dec 17, 2023 11:08 PM

Jan 2021
Why the hell someone would want to kill Atom??

Dec 22, 2023 4:17 PM
Jan 2019
I believe the part they cut off this episode was important hope they bring it in the next
Jan 12, 2:15 PM

Jul 2016
Plot is getting more and more intriguing with each new episode. Though I gotta say Gesicht's side of the story is far more engaging than Atom and Uran's.

We also had Robot Johan and Tenma this episode. Cool.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MegamiRem - Oct 26, 2023

124 by PrOxAnto »»
May 14, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 5 Discussion

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

46 by PrOxAnto »»
May 13, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

194 by PrOxAnto »»
May 11, 7:31 AM

» Lflix 🤡😔 ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 12, 2023

70 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 6, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

61 by Ariel0499 »»
Apr 14, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.