Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2023 1:07 PM
Jan 2021
I watched both cowboy bebop and samurai champloo almost back to back and immensely preferred champloo over bebop. Cowboy bebop for me was absolutely boring from beginning to end with 1-3 good episodes. Not only is it episiodic but it litterally fails at making you like the main characters or even care for them. Putting their backstories so randomly after 1 cour of them just doing silly space adventure was just bad writting, I did like the girl’s backstory tho. Also the last few episodes were so bad, a new antag is introduced, apparently the mc knows him but we don’t really know the beef between them, they fight and the mc dies… honestly did they expect us to care about his death at all? I was just left confused all along, it was really a bad show for me I don’t know how people consider it a classic. Now samurai champloo, although it is episodic too we get to know the characters better as they are introduced and developped all along the story leading to them both having great development at the end, they were entertaining and fun to follow and I think this is what cowboy bebop failed to be.
Oct 13, 2023 1:15 PM
Oct 2020
You mustve skipped a bucnh of episodes… that antagonist is in like 4 episodes and is introduced in episode 4 i think?

Bebop >> Champloo. Both are masterpieces though.
Oct 13, 2023 1:24 PM
Jan 2021
Mq84jdk said:
You mustve skipped a bucnh of episodes… that antagonist is in like 4 episodes and is introduced in episode 4 i think?

Showing an antag and introducing him are two different things, him being in the last four episodes doesn’t help that we litterally knew nothing about him, he just came, and they hinted to some kind of trouble back there between him and the mc then they killed each other, that’s bad writting

Samurai champloo is so infinitely better than that garbage
Oct 13, 2023 1:27 PM
Oct 2020
Tan_2 said:
Mq84jdk said:

Showing an antag and introducing him are two different things, him being in the last four episodes doesn’t help that we litterally knew nothing about him, he just came, and they hinted to some kind of trouble back there between him and the mc then they killed each other, that’s bad writting

Samurai champloo is so infinitely better than that garbage

You paid no attention then. There is no wasted moments and Vicious is explained a lot throughout. Spikes backstory is mysterious but it very fleshed out by the end and at the halfway point (Jupiter Jazz episodes).

Champloo is great but never hits the highs that Bebop does. Has more comedy and two filler episodes (Zombies and Baseball)… baseball episode is very funny though.

Every episode of Bebop fleshes out the world and characters.
Oct 13, 2023 1:35 PM

Jul 2021
You really paid no attention when watching Cowboy Bebop , all the characters got developed beautifully . Those silly space adventures is what made those characters so endearing.
Oct 13, 2023 1:36 PM

Jul 2021
Mq84jdk said:

Episode 5 I believe
The one where Spike falls from the building
Ballad of fallen angels (Favorite episode)
Oct 13, 2023 1:39 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
I prefer Champloo as well over Bebop, but I in no way think Bebop is garbage. I agree it can be slow, and maybe that’s what made you miss a lot of details cuz it’s writing is way better than you’re giving it credit for.
Oct 13, 2023 1:50 PM
Apr 2022
Tan_2 said:
I watched both cowboy bebop and samurai champloo almost back to back and immensely preferred champloo over bebop. Cowboy bebop for me was absolutely boring from beginning to end with 1-3 good episodes. Not only is it episiodic but it litterally fails at making you like the main characters or even care for them. Putting their backstories so randomly after 1 cour of them just doing silly space adventure was just bad writting, I did like the girl’s backstory tho. Also the last few episodes were so bad, a new antag is introduced, apparently the mc knows him but we don’t really know the beef between them, they fight and the mc dies… honestly did they expect us to care about his death at all? I was just left confused all along, it was really a bad show for me I don’t know how people consider it a classic. Now samurai champloo, although it is episodic too we get to know the characters better as they are introduced and developped all along the story leading to them both having great development at the end, they were entertaining and fun to follow and I think this is what cowboy bebop failed to be.

i agree with you but dont spoil.
Oct 13, 2023 1:52 PM
Jul 2022
fucking hell mate, why do all of you want to argue over which one is better. just enjoy them man and move on
Oct 13, 2023 2:23 PM
Apr 2020
Sucks for you I watched them both and liked them both stop complaining and just watch shows you like kids these days I swear
Oct 13, 2023 2:32 PM
Mar 2023
Tan_2 said:

It’s not necessarily fair to compare Cowboy Bebop to Samurai Champloo since they’re completely different shows. Bebop is more episodic in a classic Saturday morning cartoon format with some character focused stories sprinkled in between. Champloo has a main plot throughout it’s season with fun side episodes sprinkled in between. Both shows are well done in their own style and format. Personally, I felt the same as you at one point but with the shows reversed. It wasn’t till I stopped comparing them to each other that I was able to strongly appreciate both in a similar light.
Oct 13, 2023 4:14 PM
May 2015
Both are good. I like Bebop but I much prefer Champloo. Both deserve praise, but Bebop is just another good anime to me, and Champloo is one of my favorites. I like the Characters in Champloo a lot more, and the ending of Bebop is kinda meh. I liked Spike but I didn’t care enough about him to be sad about his death. Meanwhile I loved the group dynamic and relationships between the cast of Champloo and was sad to see them go their separate ways. I think Bebop is a good anime that was a masterpiece of its time, but doesn’t really hold up all that well against other anime, and Champloo will always be great. Just my opinion.
ShamankinguYohOct 13, 2023 4:21 PM
Oct 13, 2023 4:30 PM
Aug 2018
The two shows are in different genres what’s the point in comparing them
Oct 13, 2023 5:29 PM
Sep 2022
Both are masterpieces, For me cowboy bebop is a 10 where as samurai champloo a 8-8.5 , both anime have different vibes and characters and they differ too much to compare them made by the same director don't means we can compare them but I also respect your opinion
Oct 13, 2023 5:36 PM

Apr 2020
You were born in 2002.

For me, it makes perfect sense that you'd prefer the more linear, pumped Champloo, over melancholic, episodic Bebop^^
And that's okay. Although I think the points you're making a overly specific and reaaaally nitpicky/subjective. But still, it's alright preferring one over the other.

Just as an explaination:
What makes Cowboy Bebops Characters unique, or in your words "silly" and "not developed", is that they're not beeing introduced properly (I can see your point in that) for a reason. It's cause they've already gone through life...that's what makes them special. They're not developing. They're dealing with the past and their respective existential crisis.

It's pretty powerful and hard hitting stuff....
But hey, each to their own. Both Show's are amazing, imo. You like what you like^^

Saying Bebop is somewhat wasting potential, by not beeing like Champloo or even calling it garbage, tho?
That's delusional, my dude.
Merve2LoveOct 13, 2023 5:58 PM
Oct 13, 2023 5:49 PM

Sep 2020
OMG yes. Although I rated it a 7, Cowboy Bebop was a bit of a disappointment.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Oct 13, 2023 5:53 PM

Jul 2022
Respectfully, I think your view only shows a certain immaturity because you don't understand Bebop's characters, but it could be that even if you knew better, you wouldn't change your preference.
SmawaruOct 13, 2023 6:02 PM
Oct 13, 2023 5:58 PM

Jul 2022
Lord_Cobi said:

5 points:

They are both directed and co-written by Shinichiro Watanabe, who is known for his unique style of blending different genres and musical influences

They both follow a group of misfits who travel together through various adventures

They both have a strong musical theme that reflects the mood and setting of each episode (Cowboy Bebop uses jazz and blues, while Samurai Champloo uses hip-hop and rap)

They both have similar characters, such as Mugen and Spike, who are both skilled fighters with a laid-back attitude and a mysterious past

They both have episodic stories that sometimes explore the darker aspects of their respective worlds, such as death, violence and corruption
SmawaruOct 13, 2023 6:05 PM
Oct 13, 2023 6:00 PM
Nov 2022
can the two be even put into the same league?
I have come across many forums where people have compared Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and the later one was preferred by most everyone.
this is a new comparison a surprising one at that.
Oct 13, 2023 6:11 PM
Jan 2018
Cowboy Bebop has some of the best character development you can ask for in the medium of anime. What are you on about?
Oct 13, 2023 6:22 PM

Apr 2017
Yeah I agree. I watched Cowboy Bebop first and found it pretty boring too. Like you say it tended to add random episodic narratives whereas Shampoo's actually felt meaningful to the core of the story. I've always thought that Bebop fans overate Spike's development and that whole last episode.

My dissatisfaction with Bebop almost led to avoiding all of Watanabe's works, but I'm glad I wasn't stubborn cause I really enjoyed Champloo and Terror in Resonance.
Oct 13, 2023 6:27 PM
Jun 2021
Tan_2 said:

Honestly I feel pretty much the opposite. Champloo had episodes where nothing even happened. Only parts I remember were the first 6 episodes in that red light district, then the ending fights.
Oct 13, 2023 8:58 PM
Aug 2021
Both are masterpieces, I can’t call one better than the other and that’s how they should be, both led by a decorated director Shinichiro Watanabe, do you really think one would be so good and the other fall flat? Rewatch bebop, you clearly didn’t recognize it was for what it was.
Oct 14, 2023 12:48 AM
Mar 2022
both are masterpieces but imma have to disagree, cowboy bebop absolutely wins in my book.

it DEFINETLY fleshes out its characters well, in some ways better than Champloo
Oct 14, 2023 3:10 AM
Jul 2020
You've easily missed the entire point of Cowboy Bebop.
Oct 14, 2023 3:38 AM
Jun 2021
I also watched Champloo right after Bebop and felt the same way. You should rewatch it, though. I liked it a lot more on rewatch; since I knew all the characters I could pay attention to everything else. I think I still like Champloo better, but that's just because I prefer the serial format.
Oct 14, 2023 8:25 AM
Jul 2022
Space Dandy is better than both.
Oct 14, 2023 11:35 AM
Oct 2019
This is the equivalent of thinking that Beethoven is s*** at music just because you don't like the type of music lol. 🙄
Oct 14, 2023 4:50 PM
Aug 2021
Some pretty major spoilers in you question there that you gave no waring about...
Oct 14, 2023 5:15 PM
Jul 2023
its a hot take but I completely agree. i first watched champloo back when it aired on adult swim in 06 and i loved it from the start. cowboy bepop was also on around that time but i too thought it was boring. since then i started it and dropped it 2 or 3 different times before i finally finished it last year. and i think its one of the most overrated animes of all time. now, i didn't dislike it, it was much better after i realized while it does have a plot its not plot heavy and mostly episodic. with its rave reviews i had my hopes and expectations of this crazy plot line that makes it as great as everyone claims and thats partially on me for going into it like that but it would be difficult not to since its on every "top 10 best anime of all time" list ever. if you're watching it as a jazzy late night aesthetic anime its enjoyable but as i said i think its criminally overrated and thats due to 2 main reasons.
1. it came to america in 1995 right when anime was just becoming popularized in the west for the first time so for a lot of people it was their introduction to the medium, their first anime, and thus its holds a special place in their heart and is nostalgic.
2. the creator intentionally made it targeted to/ appeal to westerners. now almost 30 years later its become a classic for that reason. it has a great soundtrack and is an aesthetic piece of media but all in all champloo is a better series on all fronts imo. I'm glad to see someone finally had the balls to say its the the greatest anime of all time.
Oct 14, 2023 5:21 PM
Jul 2023
Lord_Cobi said:

They're created by the same person and are structurally set up almost identical. their time settings are juxtaposed futuristic jazzy space bounty hunters and feudal japan hip hop ronin, but other than that their pacing and structures are essentially the same. i thinks its odd to not compare them.
Oct 15, 2023 4:31 AM
Jul 2021
Not suprised DS fan has a bad take
Oct 15, 2023 6:34 AM
Jul 2014
i agree! cowboy bebop is good for the aesthetics and sounds that it provides. but it lacks the encouragement to actually get invested into the characters. ive tried to watch it plenty of times and ended up dropping it within episodes. i am a big fan of champloo because there is actually an overarching storyline, even though it really doesnt matter from episode to episode. at least it gives some type of feeling to the characters and a motive to look forward to.

space dandy is another anime from thr same people and i loved that show. i think the main difference is that the main character is completely lovable and you can get behind the wacky episodes and the heartfelt undertones of some episodes. i would rank champloo first, dandy very close second and bebop dead last. bebop although a "classic" only gives me satisfaction through the classic artwork and nostalagic jazzy vibe it creates.
Namusen
Oct 15, 2023 6:52 AM

Jul 2021
Hmm need to check out Champloo. Well shows like Cowboy Bebop leans more on the category of "style over substance" (I do think this may apply to Champloo as well once I take a look) but it still has a substantial experience that can be invested furthermore, and the world itself is like something quite a bit unconventional on its own.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 15, 2023 7:20 AM
Feb 2021
i found cowboy bebop to be very good and samurai champloo to be kinda mid

i guess that's because they are 2 different shows
Oct 15, 2023 10:29 AM
Jan 2020
I agree OP. Cowboy Bebop was too episodic and didn’t actually string together enough development. Samurai Champloo had just enough so that it flowed.
Oct 20, 2023 12:34 PM
Aug 2018
xXGoreGrinderXx said:
Lord_Cobi said:

They're created by the same person and are structurally set up almost identical. their time settings are juxtaposed futuristic jazzy space bounty hunters and feudal japan hip hop ronin, but other than that their pacing and structures are essentially the same. i thinks its odd to not compare them.

Naruto shippuden as a favorite says it all
Oct 20, 2023 2:07 PM
Jul 2023
Lord_Cobi said:
xXGoreGrinderXx said:

Naruto shippuden as a favorite says it all

its a favorite because i watched it as a 4th grader and grew up with series and the characters. i can admit i have a nostalgia bias. but the same can be said for people who like bebop. its a 7/10 at an absolute best. an 8 is extremely generous

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

170 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:51 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

187 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

56 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 28, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

113 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akral - Sep 16, 2007

195 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 27, 12:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.