Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2023 2:05 PM
Jan 2022
Death note one of my first anime other than usual shonens like dbz,naruto. Death note blew my mind and I realized that animes can also have mature, psychological themes.Fastforward to 2023 and now anime industry is majorly filled with crappy generic fantasy Isekai animes.Psychological,mystery genres are practically dead in animes. These isekai shows are giving flashbacks of considering anime as cartoons meant for kids. One thing I noticed is that one studio which new generation may not even know,called Madhouse was particularly interested in making Mystery animes.DN, Monster,Parasyte,Death Parade,Kaiji to name a few. With the downfall of Madhouse, mystery genre also disappeared in last 6 years. Recent good mysteries like Classroom of elite and Tomodachi Games got mediocre adaptation and production. Can we expect strong comeback of Mystery genre or its the end of road?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2023 2:18 PM

Sep 2018
Modern world is largely obsessed with technology making such a story seem outdated. Anime are often made for merchandizing either the source material or merch. The modern artstyle for anime are generally more like blobs than legit faces like in death note. Moral standards do exist for anime nerfing dark mc personalities like Naofumi.
Oct 11, 2023 2:21 PM

Aug 2021
i dunno probally not popular or something but classroom of elite really good anime lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2023 2:27 PM
Aug 2021
I watch almost everything every season so to me it looks like you're just terrible at finding shows
Oct 11, 2023 2:30 PM
Jun 2023
Maybe try out class room of the elite
Oct 11, 2023 2:33 PM
Sep 2022
rohan121 said:
Modern world is largely obsessed with technology making such a story seem outdated. Anime are often made for merchandizing either the source material or merch. The modern artstyle for anime are generally more like blobs than legit faces like in death note. Moral standards do exist for anime nerfing dark mc personalities like Naofumi.

Everything that you said it's just like a set of the most common stereotypes, nothing more
Oct 11, 2023 2:34 PM
Sep 2022
gamibo said:
Death note one of my first anime other than usual shonens like dbz,naruto. Death note blew my mind and I realized that animes can also have mature, psychological themes.Fastforward to 2023 and now anime industry is majorly filled with crappy generic fantasy Isekai animes.Psychological,mystery genres are practically dead in animes. These isekai shows are giving flashbacks of considering anime as cartoons meant for kids. One thing I noticed is that one studio which new generation may not even know,called Madhouse was particularly interested in making Mystery animes.DN, Monster,Parasyte,Death Parade,Kaiji to name a few. With the downfall of Madhouse, mystery genre also disappeared in last 6 years. Recent good mysteries like Classroom of elite and Tomodachi Games got mediocre adaptation and production. Can we expect strong comeback of Mystery genre or its the end of road?

Bro, just watch Moriarty the Patriot or 91 Days if you want something similar like Death Note fr
Oct 11, 2023 2:35 PM
Jun 2021
I will say this Japan right now does not like dark stories as much. Cause My Hero was supposed to get darker and the rating dropped whenever it did. I believe that the slice of life and isekai genre is to partly blame for not getting darker stories time
Oct 11, 2023 2:38 PM
Jan 2023
mad house is my fav studio bc of that, i would like to see more anime like that nowadays too
Oct 11, 2023 2:45 PM
Sep 2021
Sagepool said:
I will say this Japan right now does not like dark stories as much. Cause My Hero was supposed to get darker and the rating dropped whenever it did. I believe that the slice of life and isekai genre is to partly blame for not getting darker stories time

If you mean My Home Hero:
Actually, I think atleast one of the biggest reasons for it's low rating is that the anime adaption is just very mediocre.
Oct 11, 2023 2:48 PM
Feb 2022
Loaf_dontcare said:
Sagepool said:

Actually, I think atleast one of the biggest reasons for it's low rating is that the anime adaption is just very mediocre.

Maybe my hero academia is just mediocre
Oct 11, 2023 2:49 PM
Jun 2021
Loaf_dontcare said:
Sagepool said:

No I mean My Hero Academia, there are articles talking about how the author wanted to make the story focused on villains but couldn’t cause of low ratings from Japan when doing it
Oct 11, 2023 2:50 PM
Mar 2020
Madhouse did Sonny Boy a couple years ago. I highly recommend that if you haven’t watched it. They are also doing Frieren right now, but it’s definitely not in the same genre you’re looking for. Though it’s great so far.
Oct 11, 2023 2:55 PM

Jul 2021
Huh? Go to the mal anime search, filter by season and year, and review every season from 2006 to today, and try saying the same thing again with a straight face. I don't see you complain about the heaps of shounen and ecchi trash that used to fill each season in the old days.

Then filter by genre and tell me death note is the last mystery anime ever made.
Oct 11, 2023 2:56 PM

Jan 2017
gamibo said:
Psychological,mystery genres are practically dead in animes.

They absolutely never were "alive" to begin with...
Psychological and Mysteries are somewhat niche genres.

gamibo said:
Madhouse was particularly interested in making Mystery animes.

They were specially aiming for not so popular/niche/outdated works (or simply Original projects) , to experience with them in Animation.

That was until they stopped doing that to focus on very popular stories to adapt to get money.
That's what led Maruyama to leave the studio and create Mappa , to continue experiencing with such stories.
But the same thing happened in Mappa , and thus he left to create M2.

So i'd suggest you to follow what that guy is doing , you'll probably like it. (They will release Pluto in a few days.)
Aside from that... just use the search engine.
Alexioos95Oct 11, 2023 3:01 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 11, 2023 3:25 PM
Oct 2019
get out of the mainstream side of anime then. There is plenty out there for you that are waiting to be discovered
Oct 11, 2023 3:55 PM
Jan 2021
DN definitely mid mid
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Oct 11, 2023 4:28 PM
Jan 2022
Generic anime watchers doesnt like that kind of genre
Oct 11, 2023 4:42 PM
Jun 2015
No psychological and mystery anime anymore??
Pluto and Akuma-kun both come out within a month. Ron Kamonohashi and Migi & Dali are both airing this season. Undead Girl Murder Farce from last season also seemed like that type of show. Or check out Oddtaxi from 2021, which in my opinion is one of the best mystery anime ever made.
If recent anime aren’t doing it for you, there are tons of shows from past decades that will scratch this itch for you. I certainly sympathize with being disillusioned by some modern mainstream anime but the other genres aren’t gone. There are just more anime being made as a whole.
Oct 11, 2023 4:58 PM

Aug 2017
pretty sure you're just not looking. Literally madhouse themselves released some good stuff like AI no Idenshi and Sonny Boy. And if you look at other studios you can find stuff like Odd Taxi, Summertime Rendering, Promised neverland (which never got a second season.), Link Click, ID:invaded etc. and all of those are relatively recent and only a tiny selection of stuff in the mystery category being released. Just because you only look at Isekai and shounen shows doesn't mean the others suddenly stop existing. Every year dozens if not hundreds of good shows that aren't shounen or Isekai are released you just need to actually look for them
Oct 11, 2023 4:59 PM
Nov 2015
I mostly agree but 91 Days is exactly what you want. Also if you’re looking for content, you could read manga. Fruitsumore kodoku is what you’re looking for and everything written by the author is as well.
Oct 11, 2023 5:05 PM
Jan 2021
you need to watch heavenly delusion and summertime render
Oct 11, 2023 5:13 PM

Mar 2021
It would be difficult to produce at this stage. Nowadays, simple and easy-to-understand stories such as "different worlds" tend to be preferred, and sponsors are probably reluctant to pay for a story that is difficult to understand because they are not sure if it will sell even if it is produced.

Also, in the case of genres such as psychological themes and mysteries, if the original story is based on a novel or manga, it may be produced as a live-action drama or a live-action movie rather than an anime adaptation.

Oct 11, 2023 6:28 PM

Mar 2023
You should watch heavenly delusion, came out this year and fits well with what you’ve been looking for
Oct 11, 2023 7:04 PM
May 2023
gamibo said:

i think u should watch link click... although its not Japanese but u will enjoy the thrill and cliff hanger..
Oct 11, 2023 7:20 PM
Nov 2017
I dont know if youre taste just shit to define what a good mystery anime is or youre just too shy to ask recommended mystery anime.

But as a fan of mystery anime myself that in love with the genre since my friend introduce me with Haruhi Suzumiya, heres my mystery anime from last 7 years :

In/spectre (More lighthearted, more comedy)
Heavenly delusion (Way way way better than DeathNote so far)
Shadows house (Decent adaptation)
Sonny boy (Watch it twice, still confuse AF)
Odd taxi (The artstyle might throw you off)
Rascal not dream of bunny girl senpai (More drama-ish)
Boggiepop and others (Prefer the first one, more darker)
Land of lustrous (Is just good)
18if (Last 2 episodes are shit, but its good before that)

I like DeathNote, but its on the edgy side of mystery genre for me.
Just like Another or Erased.
Oct 11, 2023 7:43 PM
Sep 2021
cote sucks ass wdym đź’€
Oct 11, 2023 8:53 PM

May 2021
Practically speaking, those kinds of anime have always been the minority, with the ones you listed being essentially exceptions rather than the rule. Generally speaking, though, a lot of it comes down to the simple fact that these kinds of psychological and/or mystery-driven series are simply really difficult to write, and the uniqueness of their premises also makes them high-risk investments for producers compared to more standard & mainstream genre fare.

Additionally, I will say that, of all the shows you’ve fit under the banner of mystery, there’s very little actual commonality between them, which makes me question whether this is as common a trend as you might think. Death Note is a mystery only in as much as the in-universe characters are deciphering a mystery while the audience is practically omniscient and the show’s actual appeal is the psychological battles rather than the thrill of piecing together a puzzle like you’d normally qualify a mystery show to be. Same goes for Death Parade, which is really more of an episodic philosophical parable with some mystery elements than an actual mystery show imo

Comparatively speaking, Attack on Titan is a mystery anime for all intents and purposes (with the way so many elements seeded throughout the show are pieced together by both the cast and audience alike to discover the truth being the driving force for most of the series) and it’s arguably the most popular anime of the last decade, not to mention that one of the most hyped upcoming anime is Pluto, a mystery series. So saying mystery is dead in the context of its existence almost feels laughable.

Also gonna have to call you out regarding the Madhouse thing. Anime production is a complex process, and most people in the community seem to just not understand that studios rarely have to do with the actual story of the series they animate. The idea that most studios are heavily involved with shows outside of animation work, to the point of having any trying to assign any kind of signature style to studios regarding genre or the like, is one of the more eye-roll inducing misconceptions the community can’t seem to help but perpetuate
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Oct 11, 2023 9:36 PM

Mar 2021
why mal users dont make good threads anymore
Oct 11, 2023 9:57 PM
May 2016
You just simply missed the good ones. There have been pretty good mystery shows in the last 6 years too.
Oct 11, 2023 10:19 PM
Oct 2020
zemeck said:
why mal users dont make good threads anymore

I think even the bait threads were much more interesting
Oct 11, 2023 11:13 PM
Jul 2023
Animaticide said:
I watch almost everything every season so to me it looks like you're just terrible at finding shows

This lol, tons of interesting shows come out every season and I find myself watching more than I should be rationally trying to keep up with
Oct 11, 2023 11:21 PM
Dec 2022
Attack on Titan (kinda)
Oct 12, 2023 12:07 AM
Dec 2020
how are you saying this after only having watched 33 shows…

also if you cant find anime that fit your description you should start reading manga. there are plenty of mystery manga that never got an anime adaptation
Oct 12, 2023 12:52 AM
May 2020
The mystery/thriller genre has certainly declined in prevalence since the mid 2000s, but to compare Death Note, one of the era’s most popular and acclaimed titles, to “generic isekai” is straightforwardly survivorship bias.

Please go scroll through old seasonal charts and see how many forgettable anime came out at the time.
Oct 12, 2023 1:31 AM
Mar 2021
gamibo said:

there are many great mystery shows still coming out but they are not popular, if you want to watch then try these 2

1. heavenly delusion ( came out this year)
2. summer time render ( came out previous year)
Oct 12, 2023 4:31 AM
Jul 2022
Cause Death Note was terrible.
Oct 12, 2023 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to ilusatus
I dont know if youre taste just shit to define what a good mystery anime is or youre just too shy to ask recommended mystery anime.

But as a fan of mystery anime myself that in love with the genre since my friend introduce me with Haruhi Suzumiya, heres my mystery anime from last 7 years :

In/spectre (More lighthearted, more comedy)
Heavenly delusion (Way way way better than DeathNote so far)
Shadows house (Decent adaptation)
Sonny boy (Watch it twice, still confuse AF)
Odd taxi (The artstyle might throw you off)
Rascal not dream of bunny girl senpai (More drama-ish)
Boggiepop and others (Prefer the first one, more darker)
Land of lustrous (Is just good)
18if (Last 2 episodes are shit, but its good before that)

I like DeathNote, but its on the edgy side of mystery genre for me.
Just like Another or Erased.
@ilusatus Death note is not mystery, and none of them is actually is better or even come close to death note when it comes to suspense.
Oct 12, 2023 6:04 AM
Sep 2022
Unless we have a not-for-profit Anime studio backed by some billionaire brat who wanna do justice to mystery plots, your request seems difficult.
Oct 12, 2023 6:22 AM
Nov 2021
Maybe because theres nothing like death note herec, death note is just too original and classic show.
Oct 12, 2023 7:17 AM
Jun 2021
Because that's pretty unpopular and most mangakas and studios want to make stories that will sell well
Oct 12, 2023 8:15 AM
Oct 2023
idkmmkmmmkkkkkk
Oct 12, 2023 9:12 AM

Jun 2023
yaawwwwnnn said:
i dunno probally not popular or something but classroom of elite really good anime lol

Yeah I like it a lot, even it’s second season

I spared your life on a whim, nothing more.
Oct 12, 2023 6:11 PM
Dec 2020
gamibo said:

We are literally getting the entirety of Pluto adapted in a couple of weeks
Oct 12, 2023 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
If we had more shows like Death Note, then people would likely get tired of them eventually and make complaints about them being copies just as they do with isekais and battle shounens. I enjoyed Death Note a lot as a kid. But considering how people these days complain over the smallest similarities between shows, I think it's for the best that no shows try to replicate the things that made the series popular for many people.
Oct 12, 2023 8:04 PM

Aug 2020
youve seen 33 shows, for some reason including only season 2 and season 5 or higurashi? I have to assume you aren't the best at finding shows.
Call me Ren
Oct 12, 2023 8:10 PM
Apr 2022
gamibo said:

I wish MADHOUSE remained strong. It was LEGENDARY and the stuff they put out was always ahead of its time. Beautiful stories coupled with art that defined everything to come. I guess the animators also have to take into consideration, the current social scenario before animating anything. Tough job to do today where people get offended or upset at the drop of a hat.
Oct 12, 2023 9:50 PM
Feb 2021
japanese people reduced their mind to ecchi and stuff i guess
Oct 13, 2023 1:30 AM
Nov 2022
gamibo said:

You’re missing out of numerous masterpieces and great shows. You just havn’t watched them yet.
Oct 13, 2023 1:31 AM
Nov 2022
Animaticide said:

Hes not terrible. Hes just relatively new. With time he’ill see the other amazing shows that he hasn’t gotten to yet.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

917 by SrRubikat »»
May 15, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

395 by yalinarul »»
May 12, 12:41 PM

» Why didn't Light just write in the notebook 'Touta Matsuda dies after killing L at a specific day x and time y' Or something like that

CaptainKing_2009 - Jul 4, 2023

6 by InqMusic »»
May 11, 3:30 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

29 by YahiyaX777L »»
May 9, 12:33 PM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - May 6

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
May 6, 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.