Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magic Knight Rayearth
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2023 7:31 PM
Jan 2021
     I just completed the first season of Magic Knight Rayearth, an isekai, magical girl, and mecha series, today and it was great! I am about to go into the second season but the first season stands as its own show as it follows the manga much more closely than the second season and has an ending. As someone who is not familiar with many mecha or magical girl shows due to them often being monster of the week oriented, I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching this show. The plot moves at a good pace, the character designs are all fantastic, and the world is interesting! The show began releasing in 1994 and therefore does not have amazing animation, but it is still decent. The best parts about the show are definitely the character designs, the character development, the friendships formed, and the world itself while the story is also really good. Unlike modern isekai, 1990's shows of the genre did not kill off the characters and have them be reborn. Instead, they are whisked away into the opposite world with the goal of getting back to Earth most of the time. Another great show that does this is The Vision Of Escaflowne. The characters all bond over their shared predicament in Rayearth and fight tooth and nail to save the world they got transported to for the inhabitants as well as for their own eventual return to Earth. The ending was also FANTASTIC. It's definitely worth trying out! Especially if you love the art styles from the time period like I do! Whether I enjoy the second, more loosely connected season or not, I'm glad I got to watch this gem! (The English dub is surprisingly good for a 90's show as well).
EnderobotJul 21, 2023 5:48 PM
Jul 20, 2023 7:55 PM

Apr 2011
I agree, Magic Knight Rayearth is an underrated anime. I like how blends the isekai, magical girl, and mecha genres. The character development feels well done.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Jul 20, 2023 8:02 PM

Oct 2016
It's quite low rated wherever you go but I still want to watch it. I just have to...somehow want to watch a mahou shoujo.

I love the first opening, it gives me a nostalgic feeling even though I never watched the anime. It must be because of the vibes.
Jul 20, 2023 8:04 PM

Jun 2019
This is one I've been looking forward to watching for a good while, nice to know that you enjoyed it. I'm very fond of the art style.

Unlike modern isekai, 1990's shows of the genre did not kill off the characters and have them be reborn.
The 80s did too. Currently I've been going through Aura Battler Dunbine (one of the first ever isekai) which had the mc randomly getting whisked away to a fantasy world along with his sweet ass motorcycle. Thought I'd mention it because it's similar to Rayearth and Escaflowne in that combines mecha and fantasy together. 
SoapJul 20, 2023 8:09 PM
Jul 20, 2023 8:05 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
seeing people remember Rayearth exists make me want to reread the manga... or rather I should actually get to the anime for once
Jul 20, 2023 8:06 PM
Jan 2021
I  agree that the opening is fantastic! I wasn't born until well after the anime came out so I don't have nostalgia for it, but it is seriously good! Also, look at my list and you can see that I have not really watched any magical girl anime before either lol, this show was just so intriguing! I hope to find more good 90's isekais like this as it was so good!

CaptainKenshiro said:
It's quite low rated wherever you go but I still want to watch it. I just have to...somehow want to watch a mahou shoujo.
I love the first opening, it gives me a nostalgic feeling even though I never watched the anime. It must be because of the vibes.
Jul 20, 2023 8:09 PM

Feb 2016
I too love Rayearth. It's hard to believe it has a lower score than both Sailor Moon and Escaflowne, the latter which sucks badly. Rayearth 2 isn't particularly good either.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 2023 8:11 PM

Feb 2016
SoapySamurai said:
Currently I've been going through Aura Battler Dunbine (one of the first ever isekai) which had the mc randomly getting whisked away to a fantasy world along with his sweet ass motorcycle. Thought I'd mention it because it's similar to Rayearth and Escaflowne in that combines mecha and fantasy together.
Dunbine has some interesting episodes but is paced rather poorly.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 2023 8:13 PM
Jan 2021
SoapySamurai said:
This is one I've been looking forward to watching for a good while, nice to know that you enjoyed it. I'm very fond of the art style.

Unlike modern isekai, 1990's shows of the genre did not kill off the characters and have them be reborn.
The 80s did too. Currently I've been going through Aura Battler Dunbine (one of the first ever isekai) which had the mc randomly getting whisked away to a fantasy world along with his sweet ass motorcycle. Thought I'd mention it because it's similar to Rayearth and Escaflowne in that combines mecha and fantasy together. 
 Oh! I've heard of Aura Battler Dunbine but haven't looked into it much yet! How do you like it so far? I am looking for more shows to add to plan to watch list like Escaflowne and Rayearth so if you have any other recommendations as well just tell me! I love 90's art styles so this show is especially beautiful to me but a lot of 80's shows, like Macross, look really great too. What do you think about Rayearth btw?
Jul 20, 2023 8:31 PM

Dec 2016
I don't know if underrated, but surely undercredited. It was probably the first isekai of the "someone is summoned from another universe to save our world" type and yet barely anyone mentions this series when discussing those origins.

Not to mention the series is top-tier in terms of style, especially when it comes to the designs of the mechas, costumes, armors and weapons.
Jul 20, 2023 8:36 PM
Jan 2021
SoldierDream said:
I don't know if underrated, but surely undercredited. It was probably the first isekai of the "someone is summoned from another universe to save our world" type and yet barely anyone mentions this series when discussing those origins.

Not to mention the series is top-tier in terms of style, especially when it comes to the designs of the mechas, costumes, armors and weapons.

This series had my favorite character designs from any anime I’ve seen in a long while. It’s an awesome attention to detail that the main trio begin to look more and more like they are from Cephiro the longer the season goes on for.
Jul 20, 2023 8:37 PM

Jun 2019
Enderobot said:
SoapySamurai said:

Oh! I've heard of Aura Battler Dunbine but haven't looked into it much yet! How do you like it so far? I am looking for more shows to add to plan to watch list like Escaflowne and Rayearth so if you have any other recommendations as well just tell me! I love 90's art styles so this show is especially beautiful to me but a lot of 80's shows, like 
So far, I've been enjoying it. If you haven't seen many 80s anime it might take a bit to get used to it. Some say it drags out later on which I've yet to get to. Others including Lucifrost have problems with its pacing like you've seen. I like its idea of having batches of normal everyday youngsters being forcibly transported to this world for the sole purpose of being a solider in an ongoing war. I'd say its main appeal are the sci fi aspects. One example, are these bug inspired mech designs. 

Macross, look really great too.
I'd urge you to check out the Macross Do You Remember Love movie if you haven't seen it. One of the most gorgeous anime I've seen. If I think of anything else that might interest you I'll leave you a comment. 

What do you think about Rayearth btw?
I've yet to watch it. From the few clips of it I've seen on Youtube it looks pretty fun. Your review on it gives me hope on that it's good.
Jul 20, 2023 8:41 PM

Feb 2016
SoapySamurai said:
Some say it drags out later on which I've yet to get to.
I think the later episodes are the better ones.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 2023 8:57 PM
Jan 2021
SoapySamurai said:
Enderobot said:
 Oh! I've heard of Aura Battler Dunbine but haven't looked into it much yet! How do you like it so far? I am looking for more shows to add to plan to watch list like Escaflowne and Rayearth so if you have any other recommendations as well just tell me! I love 90's art styles so this show is especially beautiful to me but a lot of 80's shows, like 
So far, I've been enjoying it. If you haven't seen many 80s anime it might take a bit to get used to it. Some say it drags out later on which I've yet to get to. Others including Lucifrost have problems with its pacing like you've seen. I like its idea of having batches of normal everyday youngsters being forcibly transported to this world for the sole purpose of being a solider in an ongoing war. I'd say its main appeal are the sci fi aspects. One example, are these bug inspired mech designs. 

Macross, look really great too.
I'd urge you to check out the Macross Do You Remember Love movie if you haven't seen it. One of the most gorgeous anime I've seen. If I think of anything else that might interest you I'll leave you a comment. 

What do you think about Rayearth btw?
I've yet to watch it. From the few clips of it I've seen on Youtube it looks pretty fun. Your review on it gives me hope on that it's good.

I’ll add Macross: Do You Remember Love ? to my plan to watch list! I watched the original show years ago and had some issues with it as Hikaru was kind of annoying as he said a lot of sexist stuff. I know it’s from the 1980’s but still it bothered me. I liked most everything else about the show though so seeing a movie adaptation of it after the few years since I’ve seen it sounds like a good idea! Definitely check out Rayearth when you get an urge to, it was a lot of fun! I’ll check out Aura Battler Dunbine too!
Jul 20, 2023 8:58 PM

May 2019
it has some pretty good fanservice so it's okay in my book.
Jul 20, 2023 9:01 PM
Jan 2021
tchitchouan said:

That was really the only part of the show that bothered me, but that’s my main issue with almost all anime so it’s a moot point for most shows depending on how much there is
Jul 20, 2023 9:07 PM

May 2019
Enderobot said:
tchitchouan said:

That was really the only part of the show that bothered me, but that’s my main issue with almost all anime so it’s a moot point for most shows depending on how much there is

It's what mostly grabbed my attention for me to watch it, without it i wouldn't have been interested.

Jul 20, 2023 9:18 PM

Feb 2016
tchitchouan said:
It's what mostly grabbed my attention for me to watch it, without it i wouldn't have been interested.
I didn't have that in mind as I was watching, but I will say in hindsight that Nova and Debonair are the only thing I like about season 2. Nova's figure is attractive albeit fully clothed.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 2023 9:32 PM

Feb 2016

Enderobot said:
I am looking for more shows to add to plan to watch list like Escaflowne and Rayearth so if you have any other recommendations as well just tell me! I love 90's art styles so this show is especially beautiful to me but a lot of 80's shows, like Macross, look really great too.
My favorite anime directed by Tomino is Heavy Metal L-Gaim. Though not isekai like Dunbine, it is more fantastical than Gundam. I like the setting, the comedy, and the character designs.

L-Gaim's spiritual successor is 5 Star Stories. It is written and drawn by Mamoru Nagano, who designed the characters and mecha for L-Gaim. I dislike 5 Star Stories, but you may wish to watch it anyway. The anime faithfully adapts the 1st arc and it looks quite pretty. Since you mentioned Escaflowne and I mentioned 5 Star Stories, I feel obligated to point out that Nobuteru Yuuki worked on both those anime as well as Lodoss.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 2023 9:37 PM

May 2019
Lucifrost said:
tchitchouan said:
I didn't have that in mind as I was watching, but I will say in hindsight that Nova and Debonair are the only thing I like about season 2. Nova's figure is attractive albeit fully clothed.

Yeah, she does have a very appealing and slender silhouette.

Jul 20, 2023 9:52 PM
Jan 2021
Lucifrost said:

Enderobot said:
I am looking for more shows to add to plan to watch list like Escaflowne and Rayearth so if you have any other recommendations as well just tell me! I love 90's art styles so this show is especially beautiful to me but a lot of 80's shows, like Macross, look really great too.
My favorite anime directed by Tomino is Heavy Metal L-Gaim. Though not isekai like Dunbine, it is more fantastical than Gundam. I like the setting, the comedy, and the character designs.

L-Gaim's spiritual successor is 5 Star Stories. It is written and drawn by Mamoru Nagano, who designed the characters and mecha for L-Gaim. I dislike 5 Star Stories, but you may wish to watch it anyway. The anime faithfully adapts the 1st arc and it looks quite pretty. Since you mentioned Escaflowne and I mentioned 5 Star Stories, I feel obligated to point out that Nobuteru Yuuki worked on both those anime as well as Lodoss.

I especially love the art style of Record Of Lodoss War so that sounds promising! I’m not sure what my favorite art style is but Revolutionary Girl Utena might be up there. I haven’t ever finished it though due to the weird incest stuff early on. Does that go away?
Jul 20, 2023 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
Oh, yes. It was a beautiful anime. One of the finest gems from 1990s. It's a shame that it's such an underrated series here. It was not only a good anime per se, but it successfully mixed several different genres (mecha, isekai, mahou shoujo), which resulted in really entertaining show. And very well done from audiovisual point of view as well. 

But that's how it is, I guess. Only few of the most important shows of their respective decades preserve the mainstream aspect of their cult status. Even years after the series had airing.

We mustn't forget about its opening song ("Yuzurenai Negai" sang by Naomi Tamura) that was, is, and will be an absolute banger.
Jul 20, 2023 10:16 PM

Feb 2014
It is not underrated, just an obscure and unpopular story.

Also the filler episodes are terrible and nonsensical.
Jul 20, 2023 10:18 PM

Mar 2021
Enderobot said:
Magic Knight Rayearth Is Beyond Underrated Here!

For an Anime that was released in the early to mid 90s, "Magic Knight Rayearth" never actually officially aired on any Western TV network that I ever knew about. Apparently the Anime series eventually made it on DVD in the early 1999 in the West but I never saw it in any Video stores till after the turn of the century. A good explanation as to why "Magic Knight Rayearth" is underrated on MAL is the same reason why most Anime is underrated on MAL that was released in the 90s, it's mainly due to not very many Users on MAL actually growing up watching it.

I remember watching a few episodes when I rented it at blockbuster video around 2003 just to give it a shot, but I barely recall what the story was actually about other than there being Magical girls in it. But considering that it still managed to keep a score on MAL of 7.47, this is actually better than most Anime released around the same time period in the west with similar availability history. Then again who really cares about ratings? I personally wouldn't even care if all of my favorite Anime on MAL had a Score of 1.00 or even less.
Jul 23, 2023 11:49 AM
Apr 2022
Rayearth could have aired on toonami back in 1999 or 2000s.
Jul 23, 2023 6:11 PM

Mar 2021
Magic Night Rayearth is good! I like it too. I liked it so much I even bought the art book.

I read the manga series in a magazine every month and enjoyed watching the anime every week in real time. As for the anime, I sometimes want to revisit it because of the high level of drawing in the opening image with the dancing feathers.

Since the original author also wrote the script for the anime, the second season was also good, although there are differences between the anime and the manga.

Jul 23, 2023 6:25 PM

Feb 2016
Enderobot said:
I’m not sure what my favorite art style is but Revolutionary Girl Utena might be up there. I haven’t ever finished it though due to the weird incest stuff early on. Does that go away?
There's actually more of it later on.
その目だれの目?
Dec 20, 2023 7:47 AM
Apr 2022
Enderobot said:
(The English dub is surprisingly good for a 90's show as well).
Rayearth had 4 dubs and they all do a pretty good job on the dub voices. The one thing I would fix the ova dub is having Kevin T Collins to voice Eagle Vision.
Dec 21, 2023 11:02 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to funtime43_tr
Enderobot said:
(The English dub is surprisingly good for a 90's show as well).
Rayearth had 4 dubs and they all do a pretty good job on the dub voices. The one thing I would fix the ova dub is having Kevin T Collins to voice Eagle Vision.
@funtime43_tr

Is the OVA worth watching?
Dec 21, 2023 11:47 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Enderobot
@funtime43_tr

Is the OVA worth watching?
@Enderobot The ova is worth watching in Japanese because the English dub had a different voice cast.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 20 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 5, 2011

24 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 26, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 19 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 5, 2011

11 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 18 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 4, 2011

13 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 17, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 12 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Oct 15, 2011

16 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 10, 12:30 AM

» What genre does Magic Knight Rayearth fall in?

funtime43_tr - Mar 31

2 by Puntosmx »»
Apr 2, 7:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.