Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2023 6:47 PM

Aug 2017
FreezePeach said:
And all the Robin killers in this thread are hilarious. Kiruko is 18 or 20, the rape is not confirmed by her, and even if it was there are only few countries in the world that have capital punishment for rape. Nice places like Iran and UAE, not Japan.
In that world there isn't a goverment that could put Robin in jail for what he did. The fact that Kiruko didn't "report it" is because there is no police or goverment to report to. The only other punishment for what Robin did (and yes, it was rape: he didn't even try to seduce Kiruko into having sex with him, and even if Kiruko is an adult that doesn't mean he/she can't be raped) is death. Kiruko stopped Maru from killing him presumbaly because Kiruko doesn't register what happened to his sister's body as rape, or because Kiruko still feels somehing for Robin or it could have been simply because Robin needs to survive to be an antagonist in the next season of the show. He will get his punishment, for sure, soon enough.
ZenielDanakuJun 24, 2023 6:55 PM
Jun 24, 2023 6:52 PM
Dec 2020
Yup, finally this sh*t ended
Round the clock I hoped this series would take a path or twist thematically in the end that would prove my hate to be wrong, but then comes this ep, with this sh*t questionable maru kiriko dynamic and interactions, and kiriko and this mind body memories merging sh*t stuff, and what!? Gender identity crisis!? WTF is this sh*t!??
Sh*t dynamic with sh*t themes/agenda/topics

I usually turn a blind eye if I dont like something in a show that have other good things, but when its the main dynamic, and main theme that constantly shown as we watch and affects development and is crucial for it, it becomes hard to ignore and enjoy the rest of show peacefully

9/10 passionate directing/storytelling/animation wasted on a 4/10 themes/story sadly
Hasan_LelouchJun 24, 2023 6:55 PM
Jun 24, 2023 7:19 PM

Apr 2022
now that's one of the solid contenders for AOTY right there.
production I.G snapped! CSM like directing and animation, TPN facility setting and TLOU like post-apocalyptic setting.
really don't have any complains tbh, that's very rare for me, even the music was great and not too much but just enough fanservice.
just kept getting better, although the peak episode was episode 10. one of the most fun seasonals in a while.

it's been a toss-up between 8 or 9 for me but i'll cap this at a very solid 9/10, if i feel like it then i'll change it back to it 8 later, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
and, season 2 when?
Jun 24, 2023 7:34 PM
Apr 2022
no need to kill robin, just detach his wood for good measure so that he won't ever go rampant again. great show, can't wait for s2 8/10
Jun 24, 2023 7:49 PM

May 2015
This was an enjoyable series. It went unexpectedly dark last episode, but considering this is an ongoing manga I understand why we didn't get a true resolution to the conflicts. Pretty good, I hope it gets a season 2!
Jun 24, 2023 7:59 PM
Jun 2023
muito bom, a historia é muito entrelacada e cinematica
Jun 24, 2023 8:16 PM

Sep 2018
I thought the actions and resolutions of the incident were fairly reasonable, except maybe not killing him at the end of that beating. Why she spared him, who knows, conflicted feelings? Wanted information?

A victim of rape, an identity crisis, yet strong enough to try and put those things to the side and move forward with the journey, the only means of survival. Though I'm sure we'll get a lot of moments of fragility and mental relapses in the upcoming episodes. At least I hope they explore that side of things.

Easily the most immersive anime of the season for me, dark, gritty and unforgiving. 9/10.
Jun 24, 2023 8:16 PM
Apr 2018
Resembles Promise Neverland. 
The kids got introduced to the real world. They got to see the modern city in the end. 
Wasn't expecting Robin to be that scared of Maru. xD 
Not feeling sad for Kiruko. But good to see that the duo is back to their usual self and are on a new journey. 
The next time is Robin seen, he will be dead by the hands of Maru. 
8/10

Jun 24, 2023 8:21 PM

May 2016
wow seems like she sure was mentally harmed by that rape!
lmfao
Jun 24, 2023 8:31 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Now I'm left with more questions than answers. This anime was interesting from start to end, very well directed and with an amazing world building. I'll carry on with the manga now, since I still need to unfold a lot of mysteries... assuming the manga won't leave me with more of them.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jun 24, 2023 8:33 PM
May 2022
I really hope we get Season 2. The story clearly isn´t over, so I hope the Anime isn´t over either. 
Btw, was the facility getting destroyed part of the test? Or was that just a sad coincidence?
Jun 24, 2023 8:39 PM

Aug 2015
Does anyone know the name of the piano music playing from 7:45 through 8:55 when she's laying in bed having flashbacks?
Jun 24, 2023 8:54 PM
May 2022
Tirando a parte q não mataram o robin, otimo anime, amei as relações dos personagens e como ela esta sendo desenvolvida ao longo dos ep
Jun 24, 2023 9:03 PM
May 2019
The fact that Mimihime and Shiro are actually the doctor and patient we saw in eps 8... When I saw the button there was this biggest shock on my face. It looks like all the kids from that facility met a horrible fate in the end.
Jun 24, 2023 9:12 PM

Jul 2014
great show!! 8/10!!! we need a second season!!! we needa know what happens to everyone!! will maru find his twin tokio?? what happened to tokio?? is that kid she was handed her actual kid or was it the copy so that the director would be tricked to getting it and the real kid would be saved?? wtf was that behind the locked door in the plant?? was that the sister?? how did the 4 kids at the end end up in a boat and how did they find each other lol?? where are they going?? and whats gonna happen to them as they all are hinted to be fused with hiruko. 

we need answers!! 
Jun 24, 2023 9:27 PM
Oct 2014
absolute masterpiece of a anime each episode kept u on the edge of ur seat and was absolutely entertaining from start to finish it also didn't hesitate to go to those deep subjects either I don't think we will be seeing a S2 for atleast a year causeni don't think there's enough source material but I believe there IS a S2 announced name 10/10 one of the best this season definitely
Jun 24, 2023 9:32 PM

Mar 2008
What the fuck was Robin doing running right for that room where that woman / maneater thing was. Surely he knew that was in there. What was the goal with that? And like I said before I feel like this sexual assault is so out of place when I feel like it seemed like there was some specific motive going on since he seemed to have some grudge toward either Kiriko or Haruki or both but we dont get to know from what was shown here but I also wonder if when he said experiment he meant it literally.    Was he going to turn Kiruko like that what was in that room eventually or what i wonder.

Something that bothers me here. Kiruko looked unbound when running up to Maru telling him to not kill Robin. So why did Kiruko not try to leave before then? From trying to process what happened I guess? Still felt kind of weird to see. Also why did Robin switch from handcuffs to rope and from back hand tie to front hand tie?

Am I the only one who noticed Kiruko was having an identity crisis all along not just suddenly at this point? I always felt like there was a sense of a moderate attraction to Maru but it was shoved down from trying to maintain a self image. There wasn't any major offense of being called "onee-chan" to point of not wanting to give it up even when offered. Plus Kiruko is kind of a portmanea of Haruki and Kiriko, though it also kind of possibly means something like "kill child' so maybe that's coincidental. 

Doesnt feel like a very good ending where it's so much left open so hopefully gets a second season. Why did they choose to make this only a single cour? This kind of show you normally would expect at least 23 episodes not 13. Was there just not enough in the manga right now? We didn't even get proper info on why there were twins was it correct for me to suggest one was a clone birthed by that AI system? 

gawed said:
a great anime and no season 2 immediate announcement :( I hate it when that happens. this one deserves several seasons indeed.

now my only gripe with this final series of events:  it's almost insulting to sexual abuse victims everywhere that something so dense and serious is treated here in a "oh well 10 mins after I'm ok and won't be depressed" kinda way. no trauma no PTSD, just "well, got raped such is life." makes it feel as if the entire event was just gratuitous sex violence and cheap shock with no real consecuence to the plot. maybe in season 2/next chapters it could turn out that he has PTSD or some sort of sequel but so far it seems like it will be treated like just  another quick obstacle in our journey.

but oh well, asides from that this was a great feast for the season.

It's over a day later assuming he didn't do something more we didn't see. Not everyone reacts the way you describe either. People should be free to feel and cope their own way. Kiruko is clearly distressed about their identity more from what occurred.

Fifitamboril said:
a good anime with a rather sad/incomplete ending. Too many questions, no answers at all and a very degrading way of “dealing” with rape. no one just goes “the show must go one”, no darling, you were raped, please scream, please cry, please give yourself some time to heal. Maru was more scared than Hiruko. Until the rape part, one of the best animes of the season, after the rape scene and the way the brushed it over, downgraded at least two points in my books.

While you probably mean well no one should tell others how they should feel and what feelings to express. If you said what you're saying here to someone in real life you could make them feel guilty if that's how they actually feel or express themselves rather than them holding back. To suppress or downplay or exaggerate or fake emotions are all no good.

Royalty459 said:
I kinda wish we got to know Robin's motives because now he just seems to be a villain for no reason and it didn't serve anything other than shock value.

Regarding Tokio and the kids, why did the teachers separate the Twins? Were they going to give one to Tokio and Kona? Also, are the kids the one who started the destruction of Japan? I kinda wish we had questions to this but I know everything can't be told in 13 episodes. Overall, it's a decent episode but definitely not the best.

Yeah I feel like he had some motive of revenge or was literally as he said an experiment .

Tokio only had one child. We know this from things other's have said. I think the other kid is a clone. I am unsure if the clone is meant as a sacrifice to the director so she doesnt get Tokio's actual child or if it's merely a backup or they for some reason need two. That would explain the panic over a switchup otherwise it wouldnt matter to them which is which.

Cavalry95 said:
People are mad Kiruko told Mary not to kill Robin but I think people are missing what that moment meant for both of those characters
For Kiruko, Robin had betrayed her and raped her, and make no mistake she didn’t lie to herself afterwards to Robin was in anyway a good person.
But beforehand, Maru had been upset by what happened with Dr Usami and believed that all he could do was harm and kill. She couldn’t let him now cross that line and deal with intentionally killing someone, even a sack of shit like Robin

That's one way to look at it but many rape or general abuse victims don't have black and white feelings for their abusers particularly when they are familiar with them. They can still care for or sympathize with them while hating them for what they did. It would be weird to think everyone that is sexually assaulted suddenly turns homicidal. So even with the Maru thing aside nothing there would have not made sense.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@PaninaManina
For example, once again this episode almost confirmed that Robin shot Kiriko.
But as tradition, another question, why? And why on that specific moment when Haruki was dying in her arms?
My best guess is Kiriko was having sex with Robin so Robin would watch over Haruki (hence why this scumbag yelled at Haruki when he went to hunt a man-eater with a crossbow). When Robin saw that Haruki was half-eaten and destined to die, he decided to shoot Kiriko to silence her. Makes sense. Kiriko would no longer let Robin use her, plus there was a possibility she would tell others how Robin wasn't some noble defender of orphanage, but instead a POS exploiting the girl for sex... Since a man-eater was present in the area, people didn't care about Kiriko's gun-shot wound and likely were all concentrating on the monster's whereabouts. In other words, Robin used the chaos to get away with murder.

This made me think of something. Considering so much sexual themes what if sexual feelings are what develop these special abilities and eventually turn people into the man-eaters? What if Robin was suspecting something like this could be the case so he was having sex with various girls including Kiriko and she found out what he was doing and maybe tried to kill him either out of jealousy or feeling used. So the rape would be both revenge and trying to continue his experiment. Only thing making me question this is the younger kids at the academy that have special abilities already clearly but even kids have sexual feelings it's just more immature sexual feelings.

FreezePeach said:
This flashback was not added randomly, it is relevant to the current scene, sex between Robin and Kiruko. She intended to register as Haruki but changed her mind. She is neither Haruki, nor Kiriko, last 5 years she was living as Kiruko, a girl. And what a coincidence - this is exactly what Robin just asked her about.

FreezePeach said:
And all the Robin killers in this thread are hilarious. Kiruko is 18 or 20, the rape is not confirmed by her, and even if it was there are only few countries in the world that have capital punishment for rape. Nice places like Iran and UAE, not Japan.

Why were his pants off then? Why would he need handcuffs if it was just an attempt to get Kiruko to acknowledge the new identity fully? Why did Kiruko have to be naked? If that was all there was to it couldnt he have just tried to provoke more lightly not go at it like was shown? Unless he was just trying to provoke Kiruko and didn't actually follow through something did happen and the manga readers said there was more in the manga and that this adaptation censored a lot. But still even if he did rape it may have been part revenge over something part experiment regardless. I don't think you're entirely wrong but you seem to be not really expressing yourself in ways that others understand what you/re getting about Robin being multi dimensional a character in a harsh world rather than a cartoonish villain whos every action has ulterior motive like some people are interpreting things.
traedJun 25, 2023 1:46 PM
Jun 24, 2023 10:22 PM
Feb 2021
Kinda brushed off what happened last episode and threw off the whole vibe. Idk, like wtf.
Jun 24, 2023 10:28 PM
Aug 2018
Phenomenal season 1! Wow.
A few answers, but a whole buttload of questions now.
Can't wait for a season 2 confirmation.
10/10.
Jun 24, 2023 10:43 PM
Oct 2009
I need a second season!
Jun 24, 2023 11:05 PM
Jun 2022
Kiriko is an amazing character.
Jun 24, 2023 11:39 PM

Mar 2019
Good finale. Wish it had set up or revealed more with the kids at the facility, but between Tokio transforming and the kids on the boat at the end I guess I can't complain too much. I was surprised by how quickly Kiruko/Haruki got over getting rape though... That is weird.

Anyway, this was a fantastic show and I hope we see a season 2.
Jun 25, 2023 12:04 AM
Oct 2019
Hell fcking YES!! Beat his ass Maru!!
I love how badass Maru was when things get serious.

Omg the scene with Mimihime and Shiro giving her button at the river with the OST, what a genius way of storytelling.

Looking foward to Season 2 whenever that will be.

This Anime was such a breath of fresh air, didn't afraid to try something new, the visual storytelling and the Animation was done really well.
What i love about this Anime was they let the viewers putting all the pieces together, for those who paid attention a lot to the details it feels so rewarding after watching the episodes every single week.
You can tell there is a passion behind this project.
Production I.G did such an Amazing work.

Overall this was definitely the Dark Horse from this Spring 2023.
9/10
Jun 25, 2023 12:29 AM
Jan 2012
Mcfeeley said:
Those of you who didn’t notice the music that played for Shiro and Mimihime or the button… how do you not get what happened?

And those you who did notice the music… please join me to talk about our depression.
Probably because not everyone read the manga and had the pieces of the puzzle already slotted for them?
Jun 25, 2023 12:49 AM

Nov 2012
Haruki could've escaped by herself it seems.  She wasn't chained. Obviously, the knot was no problem and the door was unlocked. Why stay there for 2 nights getting raped? I'm totally confused about that, but I'm more confused about the 5 seconds after the credits. Why does it look like the kids are in the past? That was not an apocalyptic city they were heading to.  I get the feeling that the kids are the reason for the disaster and Maru is one of the twins.  The face like his isn't Tokio but his sibling/clone. My mind is blown!

edit: Rewatched ep 8 as someone suggested.  Damn.  Just damn! The scene with Hime in the cave getting darker then the light and someone holding her hand just made a WHOLE lot of sense as did the button. This was even more well written than I thought.
dragynfaerieJun 25, 2023 1:33 AM
Jun 25, 2023 12:57 AM
Jul 2022
I have no doubt in my mind that this is the best show this season. There were so many great things this episode, like robin getting beat. However my favorite part was maru helping hiriko realize who they really are. Also the post credits scene blew my mind.
Jun 25, 2023 1:53 AM
Apr 2021
This episode was a fantastic finale for a fantastic series. I feel like robin got off too easy tho…
Jun 25, 2023 1:55 AM

Apr 2015
Great show overall, unfinished of course but so is the manga so it's a bit pointless to expect otherwise.
Jun 25, 2023 2:19 AM

Apr 2021
PaninaManina said:
Even the scene with Maru later was a bit of the consequences. Kiruko was listening to what he was saying until Maru started talking that he wasn't Haruki anymore, at that point he interrupted him.
This is not correct and it's significant enough to fix this: Kiruko actually let Maru talks when he says that she's a new person, and that shows that she's starting to accept it. She stops Maru when he says that he will protect her, and that is unacceptable to her since being a body guard is her job and her reponsibility. What would be her use if she was not to do the protection anymore?
But she accepts and is willing to listen to everything Maru says before that. And that is the sign of a profound change, just as is the fact that the last picture we see in the water is the one of Haruki, not Robin. It's Haruki she's leaving behind.
rvdboomJun 25, 2023 3:09 AM
Jun 25, 2023 2:25 AM

Apr 2021
Fifitamboril said:
a very degrading way of “dealing” with rape. no one just goes “the show must go one”, no darling, you were raped, please scream, please cry, please give yourself some time to heal.
This is completely cliché and wrong. Check this Wikipedia page to have an idea of the possible responses to a rape : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_trauma_syndrome
I made a small article on Reddit abouit Kiruko based in the information on the Wikipedia page: https://www.reddit.com/r/HeavenlyDelusion/comments/14g29nq/kirukos_response_clearing_misconceptions/
There might be some slights spoilers from the manga though so don't read it if you prefer to avoid them.
rvdboomJun 25, 2023 3:07 AM
Jun 25, 2023 2:29 AM
Nov 2018
ZenielDanaku said:
FreezePeach said:
In that world there isn't a goverment that could put Robin in jail for what he did. The fact that Kiruko didn't "report it" is because there is no police or goverment to report to. The only other punishment for what Robin did (and yes, it was rape: he didn't even try to seduce Kiruko into having sex with him, and even if Kiruko is an adult that doesn't mean he/she can't be raped) is death. Kiruko stopped Maru from killing him presumbaly because Kiruko doesn't register what happened to his sister's body as rape, or because Kiruko still feels somehing for Robin or it could have been simply because Robin needs to survive to be an antagonist in the next season of the show. He will get his punishment, for sure, soon enough.
There is a government, the Ministry of Reconstruction. Kiriko not just "didn't report it" - we seen her for a good chunk of the episode, at no point she indicated that she was raped, even indirectly. This is intentional author's choice. Think about it.

Legally speaking Kiruko is an adult. It is up to her to decide if what happened was consensual or not. If she "doesn't register what happened as rape" then there was no rape. Maru didn't bother to ask her, he established all the relevant facts in a single glance, held a very brief court session and proceeded directly to execution of the suspect.

"presumbaly Kiruko doesn't register what happened to his sister's body as rape" - why wouldn't she register it? If he was raping her for two days it would be crystal clear for her. There is a much simpler explanation - the author intentionally mislead the readers like he was doing for the entire run of the manga.

Making what happened in these two days clear would be very easy - a single sentence from Kiruko would be enough. There is no such sentence. All we get is a comment from the bridge guard. He doesn't make a secret out of it and doesn't think that something inappropriate happens: "they must've rekindled their passion".

The scene in ep12 is specifically written to look bad but all the subsequent events completely ignore the rape as if it didn't happen. Maybe it didn't.
Jun 25, 2023 2:32 AM
Oct 2021
Still has a mystery
Jun 25, 2023 2:47 AM
Nov 2018
traed said:

FreezePeach said:
This flashback was not added randomly, it is relevant to the current scene, sex between Robin and Kiruko. She intended to register as Haruki but changed her mind. She is neither Haruki, nor Kiriko, last 5 years she was living as Kiruko, a girl. And what a coincidence - this is exactly what Robin just asked her about.

FreezePeach said:

Why were his pants off then? Why would he need handcuffs if it was just an attempt to get Kiruko to acknowledge the new identity fully? Why did Kiruko have to be naked? If that was all there was to it couldnt he have just tried to provoke more lightly not go at it like was shown? Unless he was just trying to provoke Kiruko and didn't actually follow through  something did happen and the manga readers said there was more in the manga and that this adaptation censored a lot.  But still even if he did rape it may have been part revenge over something part experiment regardless. I don't think you're entirely wrong but you seem to be not really expressing yourself in ways that others understand what you/re getting about Robin being multi dimensional a character in a harsh world rather than a cartoonish villain whos every action has ulterior motive like some people are interpreting things.
Nothing is shown really. It would be trivial to make things clear. A single phrase from Kiruko after the event - done. Full clarity. It never comes.

The author's intention to mislead the readers here is blatantly obvious. It is a simple writing trick - give incomplete information, throw in a few hints to what really happened, let readers jump to wrong conclusion, eventually reveal the truth and let them go "oh, I see now how it is, why didn't I think about it".

People generally don't deal with mystery very well. It is mostly interpreted in the simplest way possible, facts that don't fit are forgotten, ignored or chalked off as bad writing.

Anime is censored. There is much more nudity in manga, but the text is identical - basically, word for word. There were no telegraph poles along a road in manga though, that was random. Sex is heavily implied but, just like in anime, there is nothing definitive. Author can confirm the rape, claim it was consensual or say that nothing happened later, whatever suits the plot better. So far it didn't happen in manga.

About "why did Kiruko not try to leave before then?". The rope Kiruko tied with had shoelace knot, tied in front of her, she untied it instantly. Someone posted this link to author's tweet: https://twitter.com/masakazuishi/status/1419121775032422404
Deepl translation:
question: Masakazu Ishiguro-sensei, KIRUKO untied the rope by himself in the end, does that mean he could have escaped if he wanted to...? Does that mean that he still had feelings for Robin...? (-︿- `)
answer: This is one of several points I want you to notice in volume 6. I'm glad you noticed, and I'm a little excited that you did.

Just as I said, the author deceives the readers but leaves not quite subtle hints about the deception.
Jun 25, 2023 2:52 AM
Apr 2020
MrHunterxHunter said:
7.35 mins in...did Kiruko molest her own lil brother with Robin???
i think what that scene actually hints at is Robin in the past, secretly SA'ing Kiriko while Haruki is sleeping.
Jun 25, 2023 2:58 AM

Apr 2021
FreezePeach said:
Author can confirm the rape, claim it was consensual or say that nothing happened later, whatever suits the plot better. So far it didn't happen in manga.

But I agree about your analysis about the writer tempting us to make the wrong conclusion.
Jun 25, 2023 3:05 AM

Apr 2021
dragynfaerie said:
Haruki could've escaped by herself it seems.  She wasn't chained. Obviously, the knot was no problem and the door was unlocked. Why stay there for 2 nights getting raped? I'm totally confused about that,
Victims of rape, particularly by a person they trust, are usually in a state of disbelief and stupor that makes them helpless. That's why so few actually try to defend themselves in real life. She says herself that she doesn't want to have to make decisions. It's only when she sees Maru and realize that he's seeing her in this helpless state that she's shaken off and has the mental strength to free herself. Because she does not want to look that way to him but also because the perfectly knows what's going to happen (she knows how strong he is) and want to stop him from killing Robin.
Jun 25, 2023 3:09 AM
Nov 2018
Peepsqueeker said:
FreezePeach said:
I think people ignore quite a few facts about Robin.

The first talk between Kiruko and Robin was exactly what one would expect it to be. In the beginning he says:
- Calm down. Let's take our time talking. We both have a lot of questions.
And it ends with:
- I still have questions!
- I know. It's been five years. Let's take our time.

Then there is a rape scene, about a minute of it, with Robin saying few rather bizarre things. In particular:
- Now, whose body am I touching? Tell me, Haruki.
Right after that there is a flashback of Kiruko crumpling the first copy of her registration form which says: "Haruki Takehaya, age 18". We already seen it before, Kiruko was thinking about which gender to mark. She didn't mark any, crumpled the form and filled another one. It says that her name is just "Kiruko", she is female.

Then there is another coincidence - she suddenly starts to remember things that she couldn't possibly remember, her sister's memory:
- She could still be alive somewhere in this body. Maybe my mind is syncing with her body and I'm slowly turning into my sister. That would be great. I'd love that.
It never happened before. Why now?

We have no idea how Kiriko died and what kind of surgery was performed on her. It was a brain transplant, there seems to be only one doctor in existence capable to perform it - and Robin knows him. He was investigating this doctor, there were rumors that the doctor researches monsters and experiments on people. So does Robin now, another coincidence. He may know about the surgery more than anyone else. Maybe his "little experiment" was actually a literal experiment.

Also, Robin was a doctor in Immortal Order, the one who was "not going to let anyone else die". Remember the guy from ep5 who wanted to find a doctor in Immortal Order who could put a part of monster into him to make him immortal? I think he was talking about Robin. Unfortunately doctor Usami decided to die rather than give this information to us and Robin himself decided to turn rogue and run away.

Kiruko spent with Robin almost two days. We have no idea what happened during this time. According to the bridge guard they had lot of sex, but they had plenty of time to talk. We seen them together for about a minute and at that time Kiruko didn't put much resistance, neither physical or verbal. There was coercion at the start, but that's all we know.

When Maru shows up she is not handcuffed. There is a rope which she immediately unties, then gets her jacket and stops Maru from killing Robin.

The interaction between her and Robin is never discussed. All she has to say about it is:
- Now I've met him and finished what I set out to do, I don't need this [photo].

She is upset though:
- Everything I believed in was all a lie. I don't even know who I really am anymore. If you took me apart and put me back together again, I'd probably disappear and turn into my sister instead.
WTF is that? This is not normal in any way. It doesn't sound like "Robin is such an asshole" to me. She is upset about something else, suspiciously close to her shifting identity.

Note that Kiruko gets over her depression almost instantly. And she keeps her "Robin" jacket which supposedly would constantly remind her about her terrible trauma. It's almost like there is no trauma and she doesn't actually hate Robin.

This might be red herrings, this might be bad writing, but it looks intentional to me. The author keeps things vague and leaves himself enough wiggle room for alternative explanations of the events. Most obvious explanation have to ignore some facts completely or explain them as bad writing.

What I find interesting is that people are okay with pretty much every type of violence in anime, but as soon as there's even a notion of sexual assault or rape the pitchforks come out immediately. These people expect rainbows and butterflies in a post apocalyptic world, or even the real world.

This shit happens, whether we want it or not, it's a part of MANY people's lives and it's not something you STOP TALKING about, it's something that  needs to be discussed. You don't solve problems or show people that this behavior is not acceptable by not talking about it, by not having media portray the pain and suffering it causes to the victims. Turning a blind eye is the worst thing you can do for situations like these.

Like people are completely fine with children being experimented on, people in this show being completely obliterated or mutilated by monsters and people alike, but a character being sexually assaulted, HOLD MY BEER I have to spout my hatred for this show......

People's thoughts about this show:

Children being experimented on: Wow this show is so cool!
People/children being mutilated or killed: Wow this show is so cool!
Single character being sexually assaulted/raped: THIS SHOW SUCKS! WTF HOW DARE YOU SHOW THIS!

See how ridiculous this looks when you look at it in this perspective? That's how ridiculous the opinions of these commenters are.
Indeed. Weird overreaction. I think it's mostly American thing, virtue signalling is a large part of the fight between their two right wing parties. They can't fight about things that matter, so they have to invent new ways to divide and enrage people. Europe is much more chill and Japan just doesn't give a f***.
Jun 25, 2023 3:11 AM

Mar 2008
FreezePeach said:
traed said:

Why were his pants off then? Why would he need handcuffs if it was just an attempt to get Kiruko to acknowledge the new identity fully? Why did Kiruko have to be naked? If that was all there was to it couldnt he have just tried to provoke more lightly not go at it like was shown? Unless he was just trying to provoke Kiruko and didn't actually follow through  something did happen and the manga readers said there was more in the manga and that this adaptation censored a lot.  But still even if he did rape it may have been part revenge over something part experiment regardless. I don't think you're entirely wrong but you seem to be not really expressing yourself in ways that others understand what you/re getting about Robin being multi dimensional a character in a harsh world rather than a cartoonish villain whos every action has ulterior motive like some people are interpreting things.
Nothing is shown really. It would be trivial to make things clear. A single phrase from Kiruko after the event - done. Full clarity. It never comes.

The author's intention to mislead the readers here is blatantly obvious. It is a simple writing trick - give incomplete information, throw in a few hints to what really happened, let readers jump to wrong conclusion, eventually reveal the truth and let them go "oh, I see now how it is, why didn't I think about it".

People generally don't deal with mystery very well. It is mostly interpreted in the simplest way possible, facts that don't fit are forgotten, ignored or chalked off as bad writing.

Anime is censored. There is much more nudity in manga, but the text is identical - basically, word for word. There were no telegraph poles along a road in manga though, that was random. Sex is heavily implied but, just like in anime, there is nothing definitive. Author can confirm the rape, claim it was consensual or say that nothing happened later, whatever suits the plot better. So far it didn't happen in manga.

About "why did Kiruko not try to leave before then?". The rope Kiruko tied with had shoelace knot, tied in front of her, she untied it instantly. Someone posted this link to author's tweet: https://twitter.com/masakazuishi/status/1419121775032422404
Deepl translation:
question: Masakazu Ishiguro-sensei, KIRUKO untied the rope by himself in the end, does that mean he could have escaped if he wanted to...? Does that mean that he still had feelings for Robin...? (-︿- `)
answer: This is one of several points I want you to notice in volume 6. I'm glad you noticed, and I'm a little excited that you did.

Just as I said, the author deceives the readers but leaves not quite subtle hints about the deception.

I can't decide if that's really clever writing planning so many things out and misdirecting or really uninspired writing where things are vague to be decided later from not knowing what to write lol ...but either case makes sense for any serialized writing.

Hmmm I see. I didnt think to actually analyze what type of knot was used. I don't feel im far off I was getting a strong impression of a lack of will to try and do anything but focus on internal conflict .
Jun 25, 2023 3:19 AM

Sep 2013
Pretty anticlimatic ending for an overall pretty interesting anime but its hard to complain since its just the ending of an arc and not the whole story, if they adapt the rest it did a decent job.

Overall They absolutely nailed the mystery aspect, making the show a pretty good thriller, the post apocalyptic part was great most of the times even if i think the monsters were kind of lame

the laboratory part was some Shinsekai Yori type of crazyness, mysterious, wtf but with a strangely caring cast, Mimihime especially being the most interesting imo

Animation was great, mad respect to IG, especially for the opening which is top tier

if there is a second season i'll watch it, if not i'll remember this show as pretty cool even with all the "controversies" around it

Solid 7/10, could go for a 7.5 even
Deep dark fantasies
Jun 25, 2023 3:23 AM
Nov 2018
rvdboom said:
FreezePeach said:
Author can confirm the rape, claim it was consensual or say that nothing happened later, whatever suits the plot better. So far it didn't happen in manga.

But I agree about your analysis about the writer tempting us to make the wrong conclusion.
I stand corrected, "nothing happened" is indeed not an option anymore.
FreezePeachJun 25, 2023 3:44 AM
Jun 25, 2023 3:33 AM
Jan 2023
A really good conclusion to the season (hopefully not the only season).
Jun 25, 2023 3:41 AM
Jul 2017
its wierd endling i didnot liked it a bit
Jun 25, 2023 3:49 AM

Nov 2021
Good albeit a bit anticlimactic finale. Incredible animation and production. Loved the mystery and tragic stories in this anime. Tho the best part and what makes this anime the best of the season for me along Vinland Saga and Dangers in My Heart is the episode about Usami (the doctor) and what I suspect is Mimihime. Masterpiece of an episode.

No official news of season 2 so I guess I gotta hit the manga
Jun 25, 2023 3:55 AM
Nov 2018
dragynfaerie said:
Haruki could've escaped by herself it seems.  She wasn't chained. Obviously, the knot was no problem and the door was unlocked. Why stay there for 2 nights getting raped? I'm totally confused about that, but I'm more confused about the 5 seconds after the credits. Why does it look like the kids are in the past? That was not an apocalyptic city they were heading to.  I get the feeling that the kids are the reason for the disaster and Maru is one of the twins.  The face like his isn't Tokio but his sibling/clone. My mind is blown!

edit: Rewatched ep 8 as someone suggested.  Damn.  Just damn! The scene with Hime in the cave getting darker then the light and someone holding her hand just made a WHOLE lot of sense as did the button. This was even more well written than I thought.

since someone already addressed the rape part of your question I'll address the ending. The kids story takes place in the past before everything went south and it is implied that they might be the cause of the destruction or were the ones fighting against the man-eaters. It's also pretty much confirmed that Tokio and Kona's son is Maru since he looks just like Tokio.
Jun 25, 2023 3:57 AM

Apr 2021
FreezePeach said:
But I agree about your analysis about the writer tempting us to make the wrong conclusion.I stand corrected, "nothing happened" is indeed not an option anymore.
A bit difficult to have this conversation on an Anime thread since it's discussing parts of the manga which were not adapted yet. :-)

But I'm not disregarding your point of view completely, it has merits and the true story might be a mix of both.
Beware, hide future developments with Spoiler tags.
Jun 25, 2023 4:05 AM

Dec 2020
Great anime, i need a second season :( 

9/10
Jun 25, 2023 4:30 AM
May 2021
I loved when maru beat the crap out of robin. I personally prefer to kill robin but beating justifies it. thx creater.
Jun 25, 2023 4:33 AM
Jun 2009
PaninaManina said:
Fifitamboril said:
a good anime with a rather sad/incomplete ending. Too many questions, no answers at all and a very degrading way of “dealing” with rape. no one just goes “the show must go one”, no darling, you were raped, please scream, please cry, please give yourself some time to heal. Maru was more scared than Hiruko. Until the rape part, one of the best animes of the season, after the rape scene and the way the brushed it over, downgraded at least two points in my books.

If only this was the only way people reacted to this type of violence, there would't be so many silent victims in the world.

you think so? you think no one would notice the cry for help? very sad way of not recognizing the people that surround you and care about you.
Jun 25, 2023 4:33 AM
Dec 2021
great anime. frobenius.

liked robin but beating was hot so still good.
Jun 25, 2023 4:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
At least Robin got what he deserved, meanwhile the story is still going on and obviously the season is just ending in the middle of the story, I'm happy I decided to read the manga and that I'm up to date with it. Hope for a S2 that was great!
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kiriko and Haruki are blood related?

abuudai - 5 hours ago

4 by Cielord »»
31 minutes ago

» Isn't this lovely?

passtur - May 13

29 by Phloup »»
May 14, 4:55 AM

Poll: » What would you do if your waifu told you she is like Kiruko? [SPOILER]

Zarutaku - Feb 11

25 by LostSpectre »»
May 13, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Apr 1, 2023

370 by anii_squid »»
May 8, 6:29 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

474 by MCGospels »»
May 5, 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.