Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 18, 2023 10:33 PM

Jun 2015

There is a prevalent presence of individuals within the anime community, including this website, who falsely claim to hate Sword Art Online (SAO). Typically, they tend to favour series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Serial Exprimental Lain as their top choice, while giving SAO a low rating in an attempt to appear superior to others. These individuals, metaphorically speaking, resemble insecure children rather than mature critics, as they fail to analyse fiction on even a fundamental level.

In reality, SAO encompasses numerous thematic messages that the vast majority of fans, approximately 99.69%, fail to decipher. While these messages were subtly hinted at in the first season of the anime and further explored in the light novel, for the sake of this discussion assuming nobody here has read it except for me, I will refrain from going beyond the anime adaptation. At its core, SAO serves as a mature, suspenseful techno-thriller that offers allegorical social commentary on the emergence of virtual reality. It delves into the concept that the desire for self-expression and the constant need for instant reactions from friends can trap individuals, and the advent of VR technology opens up new possibilities for human interaction. Consequently, it becomes essential to combine these technologies with social networks and video games.

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction and existential critique of the impact of VR on our real life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

I'm not asserting that SAO is flawlessly written, but it deserves recognition as one of the last great modern classics that genuinely influenced the anime medium. Some might argue that the inspired creators missed the point and merely replicated the less desirable aspects. SAO has faced immense criticism throughout its history, primarily due to an influx of new anime 'fans' entering the community, leading to a clash between different age groups. Within this clash, a subset of these anime newcomers decided to mimic experienced anime watchers, adopting their favourite series and criticisms without truly understanding why certain critics disdain SAO. Essentially, they become sheep, unwittingly succumbing to the effects of herd mentality.
DeagoJun 21, 2023 4:54 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 18, 2023 10:42 PM

Aug 2015
No amount of pseudo-intellectual projection is going to convince me this show is anything more than otaku wish fulfillment garbage.
Controversial opinions
Jun 18, 2023 10:48 PM
Jan 2021
I can agree. But this is MAL, it’s not worth it to explain that to these people. You’ll explain something but when you do it well, they just resort to trolling. But yeah, cool
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 18, 2023 10:50 PM
Feb 2022
completely no...
Jun 18, 2023 10:53 PM
Oct 2020
Deago said:

There is a prevalent presence of individuals within the anime community, including this website, who falsely claim to hate Sword Art Online (SAO). Typically, they tend to favour series like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Serial Exprimental Lain as their top choice, while giving SAO a low rating in an attempt to appear superior to others. These individuals, metaphorically speaking, resemble insecure children rather than mature critics, as they fail to analyse fiction on even a fundamental level.

In reality, SAO encompasses numerous thematic messages that the vast majority of fans, approximately 99.69%, fail to decipher. While these messages were subtly hinted at in the first season of the anime and further explored in the light novel, for the sake of this discussion assuming nobody here has read it except for me, I will refrain from going beyond the anime adaptation. At its core, SAO serves as a mature, suspenseful techno-thriller that offers allegorical social commentary on the emergence of virtual reality. It delves into the concept that the desire for self-expression and the constant need for instant reactions from friends can trap individuals, and the advent of VR technology opens up new possibilities for human interaction. Consequently, it becomes essential to combine these technologies with social networks and video games.

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction about the impact of VR on daily life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

I'm not asserting that SAO is flawlessly written, but it deserves recognition as one of the last great modern classics that genuinely influenced the anime medium. Some might argue that the inspired creators missed the point and merely replicated the less desirable aspects. SAO has faced immense criticism throughout its history, primarily due to an influx of new anime 'fans' entering the community, leading to a clash between different age groups. Within this clash, a subset of these anime newcomers decided to mimic experienced anime watchers, adopting their favourite series and criticisms without truly understanding why certain critics disdain SAO. Essentially, they become sheep, unwittingly succumbing to the effects of herd mentality.

"SAO is falsely hated by fans who mimic critics without understanding."

Bro woke up and decided to speak facts.

No truer words have been spoken in the anime community.

Brotha you said it really well. Just a bunch of sheeps they are.
Jun 18, 2023 10:55 PM
Mar 2018
Haters gonna hate. Thats how it is and always has been.
Jun 18, 2023 10:55 PM

Aug 2019
ChatGPT ass post.  If you think someone’s biting when you have a percentage stretched to 2 decimal points then you really need to enroll in troll school.
FluffyExpressJun 18, 2023 11:04 PM
Jun 18, 2023 10:56 PM
Jul 2021
even the writer didn't know this, goodjob bro. The hidden talent that is better left hidden🔥💯
Jun 18, 2023 10:56 PM
Sleepy

Feb 2023
Yeah, it’s deep. Too deep. So deep it’s funny.
They tried to cram too much “message” into it and as a result it became a clusterfuck. The only good seasons are the first season and the GGO alternative where everything wasn’t a giant mess.
7_3Jun 18, 2023 11:09 PM
Jun 18, 2023 11:02 PM
Nov 2022
Nobody is gonna fall for your bullshit eassy.

Sao is like a project somebody started when they knew nothing about writting and then still continued and just went with the flow. And the result is a hot mess garbage story telling.
(What probably happened was probably just a self insert)

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

Everything else had nothing people could enjoy about. And no. Waifu’s aren’t a reason on their own to enjoy a entire ass series.
Buny0058Jun 18, 2023 11:07 PM
Jun 18, 2023 11:21 PM
Mar 2023
It has been years since I touched upon this series, so my memory of it is still hazy. I plan to pick up the Light Novels soon.
Maybe it contains the elements you mentioned?
Maybe it's also well-written.

As from what I remember of the Anime, there were no lessons that I could pick on. And even if there were, the series failed to present them in some interesting manner.
If the series itself is not all that interesting, or just not very enjoyable, then it is that much harder to get a point across.

I never got past the second season. First was decent, but second really fell a few episodes in
Jun 18, 2023 11:22 PM
Apr 2022
Deago said:

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction about the impact of VR on daily life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

I couldn’t be bothered to read it but SAO is one of my favourites so yeah
Jun 18, 2023 11:32 PM
Jan 2017
idk man, its just kinda average. Its not bad or deserve as much hate as it gets, but it definitely isnt "one of the last great modern classics."
Jun 18, 2023 11:34 PM

Jun 2015
voltwaffle said:
No amount of pseudo-intellectual projection is going to convince me this show is anything more than otaku wish fulfillment garbage.
kelvin8072 said:
completely no...
FluffyExpress said:
ChatGPT ass post.  If you think someone’s biting when you have a percentage stretched to 2 decimal points then you really need to enroll in troll school.
7_3 said:
They tried to cram too much “message” into it and as a result it became a clusterfuck. The only good seasons are the first season and the GGO alternative where everything wasn’t a giant mess.
RopeBuny said:

Sao is like a project somebody started when they knew nothing about writting and then still continued and just went with the flow. And the result is a hot mess garbage story telling.

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

Everything else had nothing people could enjoy about. And no. Waifu’s aren’t a reason on their own to enjoy a entire ass series.
I provided solid examples that prove the profundity of the series, such as the events in the overhated episode 13. However, you probably haven't even bothered to read them. I also provided a TL;DR summary for those of you who are lazy.
Jun 18, 2023 11:36 PM
Apr 2022
It’s fine if you like SAO but stop the youtube video essay pseudo-intellectual nonsense, it’s not that deep.
Jun 18, 2023 11:39 PM
Jul 2022
official_brown said:
I can agree. But this is MAL, it’s not worth it to explain that to these people. You’ll explain something but when you do it well, they just resort to trolling. But yeah, cool

If someone writes a whole essay telling u 1+1 isn't 2 will u listen?
It's the same thing as someone telling u SAO is deep
When it's the most self insert power fantasy show you can watch
Jun 18, 2023 11:52 PM
Jul 2021
official_brown said:

his post is garbage, how can you agree with his essay of baseless points
Jun 18, 2023 11:55 PM

Jun 2015
RHinoManer22 said:
official_brown said:

That's a faulty analogy because you're presenting your mindless bandwagon hate description of SAO as an objective fact, which it isn't. I didn't claim that my argument is an objective truth, but rather it is based on media literacy critique using artistic golden standards supported with concrete examples. Try again.
DeagoJun 21, 2023 4:55 PM
Jun 19, 2023 12:03 AM
Jan 2022
RopeBuny said:

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

speak for yourself 🤷‍♀️
Jun 19, 2023 12:07 AM
Nov 2022
Deago said:
RHinoManer22 said:

That's a faulty analogy because you're presenting your mindless bandwagon hate description of SAO as an objective fact, which it isn't. I didn't claim that my argument is an objective truth, but rather it is based on media literacy critique using artistic golden standards supported with concrete examples. Try again.

Truth. Facts. And most importantly what society believes in. You fail to realize that a reputation on it’s own is a real fact. A illusion of hatred on it’s own is very real when it’s a large sum of quantity. And that’s what sao is. It’ill always be the show that was a failed idea.
Jun 19, 2023 12:39 AM
Apr 2021
Deago said:

If we recall episode 13 from the first season, it actually presents a prediction and existential critique of the impact of VR on our real life. Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

Affectation is an art, and you’re outstanding at it. First off, it’s pretty obvious the premise of your argument is based on an extremely far-fetched and delusional narrative of an overall generic and superficial show. From its remarkably bland and monotonous main character to dedicating half an arc to fucking incest, there are few redeeming factors to this absolute shit-show. While you cleverly constructed some interesting motifs, they are entirely frivolous have no effect on the story. Alas, it appears the human psyche has an innate predisposition to yearn to be special, different, even superior. Your argumentative essay is nothing but a product of this phenomena, you may feel elite as a result but you come off as nothing more than a pseudo-intellectual cringe-lord.
Jun 19, 2023 12:49 AM

Jul 2021
Deago said:

aren't you selling the show a bit too much, yh no is denying it influenced modern anime, and explored the consequences of VR but does any of that really matter when the main plot which is the characters "beating the game" is flawed and none of the characters have truly been fleshed out and given a personality except Alice and a few in Alicization.
Jun 19, 2023 1:05 AM

Aug 2019
Deago said:
voltwaffle said:
kelvin8072 said:
completely no...
FluffyExpress said:
7_3 said:
RopeBuny said:

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

I provided solid examples that prove the profundity of the series, such as the events in the overhated episode 13. However, you probably haven't even bothered to read them. I also provided a TL;DR summary for those of you who are lazy.

You gave it a 2 blud you can stop trying now 💀💀💀
Jun 19, 2023 1:07 AM

Aug 2019
RopeBuny said:

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

YO YO YO COOK BRO S2 WAS FIRE
Jun 19, 2023 1:28 AM

Sep 2022
Man there is more good more unpopular animes having much more deeper massage and story than SAO, when I first watched it felt good, but no doubt who warships this anime too much he is a fucking beginner and noob.
Jun 19, 2023 1:29 AM
Sep 2022
ChatGPT is talking...
Jun 19, 2023 1:33 AM
Nov 2019
this is basically a scientific essay about anime community and how the rate system works
that's why I hate democracy
Jun 19, 2023 1:36 AM
Nov 2019
RopeBuny said:

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

you lose bro
your judgement is false and your prove is fake
Jun 19, 2023 1:45 AM
Jul 2022
SOA is a bit like Dragon Ball. It has inspired so many other series and things that were popularized by it have become fairly typical in a lot of anime.

Unlike Dragon Ball though, it has very little charm, I'm pretty sure this is why people like to hate on it. SOA's protagonist is almost entirely unlikable, he's so unlikable that SOA's best season is the one where he was a vegetable for most of it. lol
Jun 19, 2023 1:52 AM
Nov 2021
Deago said:

looking at your list I saw you
gave sao 2/10, why?
lro_Jun 19, 2023 2:08 AM
Jun 19, 2023 2:06 AM

Jun 2015
lro_ said:
Deago said:

looking at your list I saw you have sao 2/10, why?
I explained the score in my review about it.
Jun 19, 2023 3:08 AM
Jun 2021
Deago said:

Never hated SAO and it actually made me interested when I watched it for the first time as a beginner but now after having a considerable amount of experience in this media, we can actually tell that SAO fell really hard at lot of moments that many messages it tried to conduct to its audience were overshadowed by those ruckus-esque flaws of it

For example, it failed in terms of providing us with a likable mc or even bunch of useful & interesting character caste, it felt like that most of them just exist to fulfil Kirito's harem and the way it felt rushed sometimes, I mean common it's SAO we are talking about! so yeah you can't blame people for not being able to understand it's deeper message just because they couldn't avoid the absurdity it brings with it

My memory of episode 13 is quite hazy so I can't comment upon that

Although despite saying all of this, I agree with the facts like it introduced probably one of the most interesting aspects in this media which is "VR technology" and how could it affect the life of lot of people
SAO had some of the great ideas & concepts which were used by many other different shows or stories in a different and probably more detailed manner (for e.g. Solo Levelling) which made it's credibility lost somewhere

SAO is one of a kind of a show which can be criticised & credited both at the same time but yeah I agree that some of the haters who mimic critics without understanding can be very annoying
shash_sama18Jun 19, 2023 3:11 AM
Jun 19, 2023 3:13 AM

Mar 2018
My man's list consists 50% of hentai. I respect it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but my 100% factually correct opinion is that SAO is just kinda mediocre.
I gotta ask though where does that 99.69% figure come from, or did you just make that up?
Jun 19, 2023 3:28 AM
Jan 2022
SAO is peak anime, but this is probably not where you would want to say that. Haters still gonna hate.
Jun 19, 2023 4:16 AM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:

you said prefect 🙂
Jun 19, 2023 5:06 AM
Oct 2021
FluffyExpress said:

How do u know that this was done by ChatGPT? Do u have proof or are u just undermining what may have actually been his hard work. I doubt it was easy to come up with allat if he did write it and u saying stuff without proof.
Jun 19, 2023 5:06 AM
Oct 2021
voltwaffle said:

This is the problems with brainless Buffon's *sigh*
Jun 19, 2023 5:08 AM
Oct 2021
RopeBuny said:

Season 1 was alright

Season 2 ggo was peak

Bro Alicization was great wdym? SAO in its entirety expect for some seasons and arc that were clearly underwhelming compared to most other SAO but even then we're alright. The series in its entirety was very enjoyable and is still very enjoyable to me till this day
Jun 19, 2023 5:51 AM

Mar 2013
Deago said:

>Says how deep it is.
>Mentions only one example, and it is not Sinon from the Gun Gale arc, nor the Black Cats episode, or...
>Does not even go into that much depth regarding said example

The reason why people will assume this is troll bait is that you took too many words to convey certain points, when all you could have said was "it was overhated and misunderstood". Words that could have been used to indicate how exactly said moment is "deep" or whatever.

Unfortunately, many dismiss it as a 'useless' slice-of-life filler episode, revealing the tendency of casual viewers to overlook small details and consequently fail to grasp the subtle intentions of the creator. Subsequent episodes further criticise and explore the potential benefits of virtual reality, illustrating how immersive technology may lead to both loneliness and escapism, and addressing significant questions regarding changes in social interaction caused by VR. SAO offers a multi-faceted exploration of VR, examining the human-computer interface, the concept of escapism, and the VR video game itself. Aincrad is portrayed as a unique media tool and a narrative device that effectively portrays the thrilling nature of the game while also highlighting the dilemmas it raises. For instance, it prompts us to question how we should balance our minds' attraction to rest, enjoyment, escapism, and media consumption. The risk of excessive indulgence in media escapism is also examined. In this way, SAO delves into both the positive and negative aspects of escapism facilitated by VR technology.

Unfortunately, this is nothing. You are saying stuff about said moment and anime, but you are not drawing on the narrative itself to support your conclusion. This is fucking word fluff. Even if I agree with you here, this is just lazy on your behalf. I would recommend using this moment as a jumping off point to explain how the characters of Asuna and Kirito changed over the entire narrative; statements such as "Kirito was this in this episode, before he act liked this, because of this", not saying what the anime allegedly did.

Anyone can say something like say

Deus Ex was a video game with a series of profound multi-faceted exploration of a world ruled by big corporations, examing the human-cybernetic interface, the concepts of technological augmentation. It prompts us to question how we should balance our attraction to betterment, to survival, and that of our biological selves. The few critics of this game may dismiss its narrative as not taking itself seriously enough.

The setting of Deus Ex is a unique media tool and a narrative device that portrays effectively the thrilling nature of this increasingly dystopia world, where the risk of incorporating technology into our bodies is examined, highlighting the dilemmas it raises, often through small details casual players will overlook and therefore unable to grasp the nuances intended by the creator, with subsequent mentions addressing how cybernetics affects every facet of our lives.

See what I wrote? It tells you nothing about the game, only what I think of it.

Also, while I am here, I might as well say this. I would make sweet love to Kirito-chan from Gungale Online.
Jun 19, 2023 6:10 AM
Feb 2022
as my First anime ever into watching anime i dont give a crap what People say i love it you hate it end od story
Jun 19, 2023 6:48 AM
Jan 2021
Shwetank_anime said:
official_brown said:

his post is garbage, how can you agree with his essay of baseless points

Because opinions are opinions and the way you perceive things differ on the person.

I can give a good example. I hate how SAO uses sexual assault, that’s the biggest flaw of the show for me because it’s just kinda gross. But, at least in S1 in the fairy arc, it’s really easy to see how the use of technology (mainly VR) can make anyone as powerful as a “god.” That’s the whole reason the game SAO was created in the first place. Bro wanted to feel like a god. Same thing with the fairy arc. Bro was so powerful, he trapped Asuna and was able to do anything he wanted. It showed how scary technology could be and how people can be powerless and they could do whatever they want I.e. sexual assault with no repercussions.

Take a completely different anime like Banana Fish. At first BF takes sexual assault really seriously and shows how bad it is and how it really traumatized the MC. Yet towards the middle of the show, while he was in jail, it was almost a joke that it was so easy for him to get assaulted if he wanted it. It felt like a slap in the face to the original point the show made. But that show is praised.

Regardless, people hate watch the show a lot. It’s ok to not like it, but it did have a pretty high score when it first came out.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 19, 2023 6:49 AM
Jan 2021
Spandan2006 said:
official_brown said:

you said prefect 🙂

Tbh, I’m not sure what you mean by this…
Jun 19, 2023 7:52 AM

Aug 2019
RareMartian said:
FluffyExpress said:

How do u know that this was done by ChatGPT? Do u have proof or are u just undermining what may have actually been his hard work. I doubt it was easy to come up with allat if he did write it and u saying stuff without proof.

You’re going to tell me he actually came up with a number rounded to two decimal points? I know your ass is coping because you think I dislike SAO, even though I literally enjoyed it and give Alicization high praise. All I am saying is this post isn’t fucking real and anyone thinking reasonably can realize that. His post is littered with generalizations. It’s like looking at a horoscope expecting it to actually tell you something about yourself.
Jun 19, 2023 8:01 AM
Apr 2023
Deago said:

Well said. Rarely do people be honest with their selves. Not everything is made to be liked by everyone, and SAO is no exception. I ,for instance, really enjoyed it despite these clichés shown in it. I've said it many times in different threads.
"SAO has a flair that makes it so special compared to others of the same genre, but that's no reason for it not to be disliked by others as nothing is flawless. "
Jun 19, 2023 8:50 AM
Mar 2022
RopeBuny said:
Deago said:

Truth. Facts. And most importantly what society believes in. You fail to realize that a reputation on it’s own is a real fact. A illusion of hatred on it’s own is very real when it’s a large sum of quantity. And that’s what sao is. It’ill always be the show that was a failed idea.

Although the show in itself might be a bit flawed, the idea behind it isn't.

The protagonist of the anime gets stuck in a VRMMORPG game, getting gear, progresses further in the game getting more skills and items, defeating enemies (both bosses and people) and then finally completing the game after escaping in some way or another, then leaving it on a cliffhanger.

This idea in itself would become very popular if it can be pulled off correctly without too many other things coming in between the story, for example, SAO. SAO had a good start to its anime with all of these things in it; however, if we progress through the story we see how this anime turns into a romace and heram story which just dont fit with the main story and what the idia behind it originally was.

So while the idia behind it didn't fail, the way the story progressed definitely did. This is all my opinion, so while i think that it was bad for the anime to turn into a romance anime, others might think it was good to have this aspect.
Jun 19, 2023 9:14 AM

Jan 2021
The problem with SAO (well, one of many, but the most relevant one to this post) is that it introduces a large amount of ideas about VR and how people interact with a new world during Aincrad, but fails to really develop any of them into anything meaningful. There were so many points in Aincrad where I thought "wait, I want more of that idea," but the show flits from idea to idea much like Kirito flits from girl to girl.

I haven't seen Lain yet, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes not only develops its ideas, but it comments on them and even critiques the characters who embody them. It also delivers on a compelling story, engaging characters, and every other aspect I care about.

The less said about Alfheim, the better. I didn't bother with anything else after that.
johneastonJun 19, 2023 11:34 AM
Jun 19, 2023 9:33 AM
Jan 2021
RHinoManer22 said:
official_brown said:

If someone writes a whole essay telling u 1 1 isn't 2 will u listen?

Ibid. I commented already to a post like this. You can find almost anything surface level as things as deep. I don’t really like to discuss shows unless the person has watch everything in entirety.

It’s just funny how SAO being a power fantasy is deemed bad when you’re just making fun of a genre. Other shows in this genre get way more respect when some aren’t as good. I just don’t see people saying things like this are open minded. Ngl I don’t really see the point in discussing on MAL because when people get serious about deep diving a series, people resort to trolling. I’m down to discuss on DMs, but not really on open threads. I’ve talked about this show way too much since I’ve been on MAL 😅 “🤓☝️”

It’s actually funny that you are using the 1+1 thing because you are basically saying “this anime is bad because this anime is bad.” “This anime is bad, because the genre is bad.” “This anime is bad, because it’s a self insert (so is most anime), so it’s bad.”

See, these aren’t good arguments. You’re using the same 1+1 equation.
official_brownJun 19, 2023 9:39 AM
Jun 19, 2023 9:51 AM
Nov 2022
RidingPig said:
RopeBuny said:

The protagonist of the anime gets stuck in a VRMMORPG game, getting gear, progresses further in the game getting more skills and items, defeating enemies (both bosses and people) and then finally completing the game after escaping in some way or another, then leaving it on a cliffhanger.

This idea in itself would become very popular if it can be pulled off correctly without too many other things coming in between the story, for example, SAO. SAO had a good start to its anime with all of these things in it; however, if we progress through the story we see how this anime turns into a romace and heram story which just dont fit with the main story and what the idia behind it originally was.

So while the idia behind it didn't fail, the way the story progressed definitely did. This is all my opinion, so while i think that it was bad for the anime to turn into a romance anime, others might think it was good to have this aspect.

It wasn’t just the story. The characters were also lack luster. The designs are good tho. I always found some of the character designs as big classic’s and for a another compliment, the opening for season 1 especially was good and i got nostalgic goose bombs from the season 2 opening.

As for what part of the show that i really enjoyed was.
Season 1 first half and season 2’s GGO world.
Something like danmachi suffers from a similiar charaxter problem but it works out at the end (and some characters are even good) well always it works out because much like demon slayer the world building is really well made. The power system and training in both of those shows feel really earned

Sao doesn’t have that. Well it had very little but it was enough for my dopamemes back then to go like YES KIRITO YESSS. YOUR SISTER DOOO IT
Jun 19, 2023 11:13 AM
Mar 2022
RopeBuny said:
RidingPig said:

It wasn’t just the story. The characters were also lack luster. The designs are good tho. I always found some of the character designs as big classic’s and for a another compliment, the opening for season 1 especially was good and i got nostalgic goose bombs from the season 2 opening.

As for what part of the show that i really enjoyed was.
Season 1 first half and season 2’s GGO world.
Something like danmachi suffers from a similiar charaxter problem but it works out at the end (and some characters are even good) well always it works out because much like demon slayer the world building is really well made. The power system and training in both of those shows feel really earned

Sao doesn’t have that. Well it had very little but it was enough for my dopamemes back then to go like YES KIRITO YESSS. YOUR SISTER DOOO IT

I totally agree with your statements. The openings and music were amazing! They perfectly fit with the virtual reality theme and it really hypes me up every time I listen to them. The characters are somewhat dull and boring; however, their clothes and weapons have nice designs.

I do like some scenes that really hype me up in the anime like when they fight bosses and that awesome music plays that just builds up the tension.

The first half of the second season was great with some amazing scenes, either funny or hype. I also really liked how most of the romance stopped and the story turned into more of a detective murder mystery while still keeping a bit of the full dive VR tech and the protagonist being good at the games he plays. However, I enjoyed the first half of the first season even though it might have been a bit of a mess sometimes. The first half of the first season just had a bit more hype and fantasy game genre in my opinion, and I also really enjoyed the idea of the story with the protagonist getting stuck in a level-based full dive VRMMO game where we get to see him improve and get better at the game until he finally reaches the final battle.

You might have mistaken me for not liking SAO; however, that is definitely not true! SAO is one of my favorite anime of all time even though the story might not have been perfect. It is one of the first anime I have watched, therefore it always gives me a sense of nostalgia when rewatching the first half of the season.
Jun 19, 2023 1:27 PM
Jun 2021
It's not that deep
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.