Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2023 12:34 AM
May 2023
I just sorted all 90s anime by number of people who have it on their list, and it is ranked very high in that regard. 
May 2, 2023 12:46 AM

Dec 2021
Yes! To this day, I've never met anyone in real life that doesn't like Perfect Blue. It's just an absolute classic. It's also popular on Letterboxd as well.
May 2, 2023 12:47 AM

Dec 2020
I find this question kind of odd. it's a very well done good older movie course it's popular, i'm glad a lot of people appreciate it
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
May 2, 2023 12:51 AM
Aug 2008
Haven't met anyone who didn't like it.
May 2, 2023 12:54 AM

May 2018
"Is Perfect Blue really so popular?"

Not sure, but its pushy fandom is the reason I am skipping it. I didn't had such problems with the fans of Paprika or Tokyo Godfathers. Apparently Perfect Blue attracts some of the worst weebs, there must be something repugnant in it.
alshuMay 2, 2023 12:59 AM
May 2, 2023 1:13 AM

Dec 2021
alshu said:

Not sure, but its pushy fandom is the reason I am skipping it. I didn't had such problems with the fans of Paprika or Tokyo Godfathers. Apparently Perfect Blue attracts some of the worst weebs, there must be something repugnant in it.
Because people have standards and it's the fault of the entertainment industry that cannot fulfill our standards
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
May 2, 2023 1:21 AM

Sep 2017
I'd say it's more iconic and visionary than popular.

It said a lot about the idol culture and how dark internet/fandom mindset can get, how obsessive and controlling of other's lives it becomes, stealing the very right to one's own public (and private) identity.

That was seen by Kon well ahead of its time, thus the visionary part imho.
May 2, 2023 1:23 AM

Sep 2010
alshu said:

Imagine not watching something because of the fandom. Who gives a shit.
May 2, 2023 1:23 AM

Feb 2018
It’s popular on here, though if we are talking “general” anime watchers, I imagine it’s not that popular. Great movie though. Like a 90s Black Swan.
May 2, 2023 1:28 AM

May 2018
Faxtual_Ghoul said:
alshu said:

Because people have standards and it's the fault of the entertainment industry that cannot fulfill our standards

Not sure what the industry has to do here with acting like a jerk towards people who doesn't share your interests?
And as mentioned why other fans with similar standards (for example the Agent Of Paranoia ones) aren't acting like cult members?

ateks said:
Imagine not watching something because of the fandom.

What if the fandom is kind of bad?

ateks said:
Who gives a shit.

Apparently you do, when people have a different approach from yours.
Also can you explain to me, why the fans of other Satoshi Kon works are quite friendly and accepting even if you disagree with them? In my book the problem must be in Perfect Blue.
alshuMay 2, 2023 1:37 AM
May 2, 2023 1:34 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
ofc Black Swan movie was taken from Perfect Blue (wrongfully)
and in anime industry, Perfect Blue is like a classic that both Casual and Elitist find awesome

it's a cruel world out there
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Oct 2019
it's like how junji ito works are also popular among horror fans.

satoshi kon movies are stuff that non-anime fan film lovers in general know of.

among anime fans, it's also pretty popular, but not THE MOST popular. it's about as popular as made in abyss or vinland saga. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 2, 2023 1:49 AM

Mar 2020
It’s like asking “is The Godfather actually a popular movie?” but in the context of anime
May 2, 2023 2:18 AM

Aug 2020
Maybe on MAL but not so much off of it. Look at GitS. Now THAT is a popular 90s anime movie.

Blackfire2340 said:
Like a 90s Black Swan.
more like THE original movie before Black Swan copied it. Or at least heavily inspired by it.

alshu said:

ateks said:

ateks said:
Who gives a shit.

Apparently you do, when people have a different approach from yours.
Also can you explain to me, why the fans of other Satoshi Kon works are quite friendly and accepting even if you disagree with them? In my book the problem must be in Perfect Blue.
oh i'm sorry man but ateks has a point here.

That's like me with AoT (yeah i know you dropped it and yes it IS edgy i agree but whatever, just an example). I used to hate it a lot bcoz of the fandom but gets less overtime. Added that i also rewatched it and my hate lessened even more. The same with Perfect Blue. It MAY have sth that attracts a certain group of "bad people" but then again, so what? Just don't mix ourself with them. Yeah such feeling of avoidance is hard to shake off but that's the reality. At the same time you're also missing yourself from watching it like fr - it's only 80 minutes long.
May 2, 2023 2:25 AM

Feb 2020
Yes, but not really a good anime in my opinoin.
May 2, 2023 3:23 AM

May 2018
TRC_Randy said:

He never has a point, he basically trolls 99.99% of the time.

TRC_Randy said:
That's like me with AoT

Yes, it's exactly like AOT. I really hated episode one and the fandom was "Something's wrong with you, it's impossible to dislkie this peak fiction!".
In my experience cringe fandom means cringe anime...this is like it will cringe me the same way. Its objective qualities like production and such are irrelevant.

TRC_Randy said:
but gets less overtime

I guess you started enjoy how bad it is...like I can do that too, but only in a certain mood.

TRC_Randy said:
Just don't mix ourself with them.

This is irrelevant. If they enjoy it, it's mostly certain I wouldn't, not to mention those guys as part of the effort to "prove me wrong" spoiled me with some details...funnily enough I wasn't impressed.

TRC_Randy said:
it's only 80 minutes long.

Also Little Witch Academia (2013) - the best Trigger thing ever is only 26 minutes, but even people watching the LWA TV are skipping it...why? Because life is unfair.
May 2, 2023 3:31 AM

Jun 2016
I found out about this film because of Darren Aronofsky so I guess it has that advantage. Don't know how big of an advantage it is compared to other 90s anime films though.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 2, 2023 3:38 AM

Aug 2020
Yes, among its group. It is one of Kon's boldest works.

May 2, 2023 3:51 AM

Sep 2010
alshu said:
ateks said:

You just ignore it? It's really not that hard to separate the work from the fandom and just enjoy the anime. I don't even know what the fandom of most of my favorite anime is like, I almost never associate with them.
May 2, 2023 3:58 AM

May 2018
ateks said:
You just ignore it?

This is like ignoring the red flags in a shady bar.

ateks said:
I don't even know what the fandom of most of my favorite anime is like...

You have you methods, I have mine.
May 2, 2023 4:16 AM

Mar 2021
Its decently popular in the anime circles only
But its overshadowed in popularity by an average ghibli film any day of the week in the general circles

alshu said:

What a shitty ass take that a series with a bad fandom must also be equivalently bad
Keep missing out on a good cinematic experience because of your thinking
May 2, 2023 4:23 AM

Jul 2022
It deserves to be more popular. It's one of the best movies ever made.
May 2, 2023 4:27 AM

Jan 2013
alshu said:
Not sure, but its pushy fandom is the reason I am skipping it
You're robbing yourself of a thriller masterpiece because of the fandom... which I am not even sure I've seen them before? No seriously, Perfect Blue has a pushy fandom?
May 2, 2023 4:27 AM

Dec 2020
Tokyo Godfathers>Millenium Actress>Paprika>Perfect Blue

May 2, 2023 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
For me personally is one of the classics of movie like anime from the 90s and favorite among all Satoshi Kon's work. Is definately worth a try when you have time and as well be aware some scenes might be triggering a lil bit. 
May 2, 2023 4:37 AM

May 2018
Za_Panda said:
What a shitty ass take

Yeah, talk dirty to me, baby! Try to peer presser me!
Prove my point about its fandom!

Za_Panda said:
that a series with a bad fandom must also be equivalently bad

1. Isn't Prefect Blue likea movie?
2. I never said good or bad. See "objective qualities like production and such are irrelevant". I said I wouldn't enjoy it

Za_Panda said:
Keep missing out on a good cinematic experience because of your thinking

For the sake of the argument lets say I am missing big time...so what? Is there a quota or something?
From what I have been spoiled about Perfect Blue, it's a standard thriller.
The other Satoshi Kon projects looked way more interesting to meq so I watched those except Sennen Joyuu, which sounds kind of boring.

Klad said:
a thriller masterpiece

I don't value thrillers that high to being with.

Klad said:
Perfect Blue has a pushy fandom?

One dude even threatened me with physical violence...and he is from my country, theoretically he could find me.
alshuMay 2, 2023 4:42 AM
May 2, 2023 5:07 AM
May 2023
That neckbeard edgelord alshu is baiting you guys like there is no tomorrow.
May 2, 2023 6:14 AM

Aug 2020
alshu said:
TRC_Randy said:

He never has a point, he basically trolls 99.99% of the time.
not this time i'm afraid.

alshu said:
TRC_Randy said:
but gets less overtime

I guess you started enjoy how bad it is...like I can do that too, but only in a certain mood.
nah it's not bad. Part of the fandom is.

alshu said:
TRC_Randy said:
Just don't mix ourself with them.

This is irrelevant. If they enjoy it, it's mostly certain I wouldn't, not to mention those guys as part of the effort to "prove me wrong" spoiled me with some details...funnily enough I wasn't impressed.
that's why they're called "spoilers"?

But look, i think the main issue here is that you interacted with the fandom and worry about what they said a little too much like
alshu said:
ateks said:
You just ignore it?

This is like ignoring the red flags in a shady bar.
anime was never like that. It's just about you and the anime. That's it. It's about you and the specific drink you wish to get that bars usually sell. You didn't have to go into specifically THAT "shady bar" let alone spending a long time in it, interacting with the drink's fanatic a-holes and then worrying about it to the point you stopped looking for the drink you wanted.

Anyhow, the point remains that fandom =/= watch/don't watch anime. And the thing you said
alshu said:

If they enjoy it, it's mostly certain I wouldn't
doesn't make sense either like, how do you know that when you haven't tried.
TRC_RandyMay 2, 2023 6:17 AM
May 2, 2023 6:56 AM

May 2018
TRC_Randy said:
not this time

Especially this time since he already knows I do that and why I do that (gave and explanation in the other topic).
Dude is like a chatbot.

TRC_Randy said:
nah it's not bad

Well maybe not exactly bad, more like infuriating, especially the way its writers treat the viewers...

TRC_Randy said:
that's why they're called "spoilers"?

I don't feel spoiled tho, since I wouldn't appreciate such twists (being kind of standard for the genre).

TRC_Randy said:
But look, i think the main issue here is that you interacted with the fandom and worry

Not exactly "worried".

TRC_Randy said:
anime was never like that

OK, you don't like my analogy.
Still certain people liking certain anime is a red flag for me. If thee are other things like me not being interested in the premise, it still can I tip the scales.

TRC_Randy said:
Anyhow, the point remains that fandom =/= watch/don't watch anime.

This is like a matter of opinion...

TRC_Randy said:
doesn't make sense

Lets say that you don't like spicy food and a fan of it praises certain course at a restoration for being extra spicy...

TRC_Randy said:
how do you know that when you haven't tried.

Because they praise stuff in it I don't like in general.
May 2, 2023 8:50 AM
Mar 2023
Watched it last night and very much didn't like it, it felt like a art house project and the ending wasn't really good, I don't think it was horrible per se for what it was kr tried to be but the problem is I don't like that kind of shows, i prefer my normal character driven show
May 2, 2023 9:36 AM

Jul 2015
I find most answers here interesting. I'm going to assume you guys are american or something? Perfect Blue (and Jin-Roh) were quite big here in France. Their cinema releases were honestly decent for the amount of promotion anime gets here (zero), and they've been staples of anime movies on french public TV since then. I haven't watched TV in ages, but you can probably still catch a Kon and a couple Ghibli every other year or so on the 5th channel ^_-
May 2, 2023 11:34 AM

Sep 2020
alshu said:
Could be because I'm like an ostrich with its head in the sand when it comes to fandoms, but I've never come across 'pushy' Perfect Blue fans. You said something about not liking the elements in it and being spoiled about the plot - doesn't matter (well, most probably). I bet I'd hate it if anyone else tried to do the same thing, but Kon doesn't, he makes what is easily among the best psychological horror/thrillers I've seen in my short time with anime/film. Whether you choose to watch it or not is entirely your business, but for what it's worth, I'd say give it a go, at the very least you'll end up with a somewhat unpleasant experience - think of it as the equivalent of watching any random anime nowadays.

OT: Yep, pretty popular, both among anime fans and dedicated film geeks. For good reason too imo.
May 2, 2023 12:42 PM

May 2018
elnino02 said:
Could be because I'm like an ostrich with its head in the sand when it comes to fandoms, but I've never come across 'pushy' Perfect Blue fans. You said something about not liking the elements in it and being spoiled about the plot - doesn't matter (well, most probably). I bet I'd hate it if anyone else tried to do the same thing, but Kon doesn't, he makes what is easily among the best psychological horror/thrillers I've seen in my short time with anime/film. Whether you choose to watch it or not is entirely your business, but for what it's worth, I'd say give it a go, at the very least you'll end up with a somewhat unpleasant experience - think of it as the equivalent of watching any random anime nowadays.

So basically:
1. You don't believe me.
2. Perfect Blue's fandom is made out cherubs.
3. Perfect Blue is the best representative of a genre I don't like.
4. I am free to watch it or not.
So because of 1, 2, 3 and 4 I should watch it even if I hate it, because every contemporary anime is unteachable anyway.
I my head this doesn't add up.
May 2, 2023 11:16 PM

Aug 2009
I mean, I'm familiar with it because I'm old as dirt and used AMV Hell for recommendations. But I can only guess as to whether younger and newer fans know about it and how.

May 3, 2023 1:17 AM

Aug 2020
alshu said:

TRC_Randy said:
Anyhow, the point remains that fandom =/= watch/don't watch anime.

This is like a matter of opinion...
ofc it is opinion. I don't doubt that. I'm just arguing on principle basis that those two things simply aren't connected.
May 3, 2023 9:01 AM

Apr 2018
Yeah, it's arguably the most well-known of Satoshi Kon's works, and usually pops up on most "best anime movies" or "best psychological/horror anime" lists i've seen.

Personally, it's not among my top favorite movies, but I do agree with the general consensus that it is very good and well-crafted.
May 3, 2023 2:12 PM

Oct 2014
Deathko said:
I find most answers here interesting. I'm going to assume you guys are american or something? Perfect Blue (and Jin-Roh) were quite big here in France. Their cinema releases were honestly decent for the amount of promotion anime gets here (zero), and they've been staples of anime movies on french public TV since then. I haven't watched TV in ages, but you can probably still catch a Kon and a couple Ghibli every other year or so on the 5th channel ^_-

Sounds about right. Doesn't France have the largest manga market in the world after Japan? Outside of Asia at the very least. Additionally, cinema in general seems to have a significant part in the culture. France has more avid moviegoers than any other European country, and Cannes is known as the world capital of cinema hosting the Cannes Film Festival. With that in mind, I don't find it surprising that Satoshi Kon, Ghibli and other anime movies are popular there.

If you go up to the average anime fan in America, especially the new younger generation, I doubt they'd even know who Satoshi Kon is.
PyroMay 3, 2023 2:23 PM
May 3, 2023 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
@Pyro Yeah, lots of european countries started licensing anime in the 70s. The World Masterpiece Theater serieson which a good portion of the future Ghibli studio made its arms led to many iconic and beloved cartoons in the old world. I know Heidi is the Swiss cartoon, just like us french had Ie Naki Ko. Because we had such a big comics/animation industry at the time, this led to some coproductions, like the (really famous) cartoons produced by this man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Chalopin ; or this dreadful manga written by Moebius and drawn by Taniguchi: https://myanimelist.net/manga/5118/Icaro
And there's the comics festival of Angoulême and animation festival of Annecy. Ghibli's and Kon's movies won the award a bunch of time there, so the general public has some form of knowledge of anime beyond "funny pokmons" since a while.
May 3, 2023 8:13 PM

Sep 2020
alshu said:
elnino02 said:

So basically:
1. You don't believe me.
I said I haven't had any similar experiences because I don't interact with fans much - I don't really care about how the masses feel towards any kind of media. Dunno how that translates to "I don't believe you".
2. Perfect Blue's fandom is made out cherubs.
You'd know better. And the fans don't have any bearing on the anime itself, so I fail to see the problem.
3. Perfect Blue is the best representative of a genre I don't like.
Quite possibly, yeah.
4. I am free to watch it or not.
Yeah, it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head.
So because of 1, 2, 3 and 4 I should watch it even if I hate it, because every contemporary anime is unteachable anyway.
In my head this doesn't add up.
It's just an 80 minute film, I'm sure you've sat through longer anime that you didn't enjoy. Or you could stick to staying convinced that you hate it without giving it a try, ranting about its toxic fans on some online forum. At the end of the day, it's just an animated film, you don't unlock any achievements either way.
May 4, 2023 12:41 AM

May 2018
elnino02 said:
translates to "I don't believe you".

When you say "I had a different experience" this means exactly that - you are putting doubt even on my subjective arguments.

elnino02 said:
Quite possibly, yeah.

Then why should I watch it if I am not that into this genre and the fandom gives me weird vibes for this particular movie?

elnino02 said:
it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head.

You guys are still trying to convince me to watch it tho...like what gives? Isn't it obvious on this stage that I am not going to?

elnino02 said:
It's just an 80 minute film

Similar case with Robot Carnival, but why you haven't seen it? Different priorities maybe?
Also you should check on Cencoroll Connect (which is Cencoroll 1 + Cencoroll 2).

elnino02 said:
I'm sure you've sat through longer anime that you didn't enjoy

Not really.
Yes, I have watched tons of trash...but it was enjoyable trash.
Way better than unenjoyable masterpieces.

elnino02 said:
Or you could stick to staying convinced that you hate

I am not hating it.
Just statistically speaking when certain crowd tend to overhype certain anime when I watch it turns out it's not my cup of tea. Also I am not into thrillers (since those tend to be quite shallow and fake). If it was sci-fi I would give it a try.

elnino02 said:
ranting about its toxic fans on some online forum

Ranting about those guys is the right thing in my book. If they actually aren't toxic (which I doubt), maybe the will learn to be less antagonizing?

elnino02 said:
it's just an animated film, you don't unlock any achievements either way.

Yep, so stop pushing it in my face will you?
I came here to complain about the exact same type of behavior. (Well, at least you are polite.)
May 4, 2023 11:05 AM

Sep 2020
alshu said:
elnino02 said:
translates to "I don't believe you".

When you say "I had a different experience" this means exactly that - you are putting doubt even on my subjective arguments.
I didn't mean that, I'll apologise if that's how I came across.

elnino02 said:
It's just an 80 minute film

Similar case with Robot Carnival, but why you haven't seen it? Different priorities maybe?
Also you should check on Cencoroll Connect (which is Cencoroll 1 + Cencoroll 2).
I had never heard of Robot Carnival before. Looks quite interesting though - I'll take it as a recommendation, thanks. Cencoroll has been on my PTW for a while now, it's just a matter of being in the mood to watch it.

Also I am not into thrillers (since those tend to be quite shallow and fake).
I'm usually not fond of thrillers either (especially in anime), for the exact same reason you gave. And I don't like idols either. I came into the film completely blind after a friend recommended it to me. Had I known the premise I probably would have been a bit hesitant to watch it, so I guess I can kinda see where you're coming from. That said, it is in no way similar to other *cough* highly rated edgy idol thrillers *cough*.
May 31, 2023 9:13 AM
Jun 2015
It stomps Oshi no Ko.
Jun 9, 2023 9:05 AM
Jun 2023
shane_nichols said:
It stomps Oshi no Ko.

They are completely different though
Jul 13, 2023 4:21 AM
Dec 2021
I've just finished watching Perfect Blue for the second time today and all I can say is it's absolutely amazing. The ending scene is so good, the music is haunting. I loved it.

But yes it won't be for everybody. I love dark stuff so it did not disappoint at all

More topics from this board

Poll: » Perfect Blue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aero - Jul 18, 2009

349 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
May 11, 12:32 PM

» Few confusing that i don't understand HELP ME, if you didn't watched it plz go away I'm sure it be fully spoilers

MadSonic - Feb 18

22 by watsym »»
Apr 30, 7:14 AM

» Great movie... but suffered through the entire thing

BustedBayou - Jan 4

17 by Feitan_exe »»
Mar 1, 10:29 PM

» Confused

R1NN_ - Jul 4, 2023

22 by HansDevX »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

» Recommendations like this movie with THOSE scenes

SadikTD - Apr 30, 2023

8 by arrianne311 »»
Sep 20, 2023 12:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.