Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 12, 2023 1:37 PM

Mar 2021
Hi there,
I've read the first 3 and 1/2ish volumes, and I haven't really had the time or energy to continue them. (I read them a while ago). Light novels aren't really my thing, but I am interested in where the story goes. Is the anime a viable way to experience the story? I've heard plenty of people say that it's a shit adaptation, but I think I would actually finish it if I watched it. So in your (LN reader) opinion, is the anime a good adaptation? Does it change things? Does it leave a lot out? Is it bad in some other way? Or are people just overreacting/hating on it? I understand that some things might be left out, but I don't want to waste my time on the anime if its some half-assed, badly paced adaptation. Thanks for any help.
Mar 12, 2023 2:25 PM

Jan 2021
The adaptation of the series isn't actually shit, at least not until season 2 where the real "cutting things off" is happening. First season got problems with adapting things it shouldn't have and in a different way it should, like an episode adapting part of volume 4.5 when the 1st season got to like volume 3 and changed the character who was interacting with the MC. Second season cut a lot of interactions and removed tons of shit lmao.

As if the anime is bad in general, well, when your source material is absolutely hideous the anime will obviously be too.
Mar 12, 2023 2:42 PM

Dec 2021
I don't think so.

An anime adaptation can pick up on the cut content in the next entry. An adaptation must know what works best for the medium they are using.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Mar 12, 2023 3:01 PM

Feb 2021
The anime is pretty much inferior to the LN in every single way. 
Mar 12, 2023 6:19 PM
Sep 2022
Light Novel adaptation is difficult, depending on the number of episodes the anime will have. Season 1 had 12 episodes for 3 volumes, which resulted in some cuts. Season 2 had 13 episodes for 5 volumes. Watching the anime, you will have the idea that the series wants to pass, but other scenes in which you develop other characters for the series and other events, you will not have in the anime. Understand that the anime is much inferior to the light novel, but it is recommended for those who are not used to reading light novels.
Mar 13, 2023 11:40 AM

Aug 2020
fyrflys said:
So in your (LN reader) opinion, is the anime a good adaptation? Does it change things? Does it leave a lot out? Is it bad in some other way? Or are people just overreacting/hating on it?

It's good in production and setting. The story skipped contents that really make a difference in writing and plotwise.

Mar 16, 2023 1:35 PM
May 2021
After watching the anime then reading the LN & rewatching s1 again after a while, It’s just the lack of content they added in s1 but ppl weren’t expecting COTE to continue anime wise, however s2 is slightly better than s1 but there r just key moments from the LN that would have been good if they added it into the anime. Welp lets see how s3 does this year ending Yr1.
Apr 14, 2023 7:41 PM

Aug 2020
jas-samaaa said:
After watching the anime then reading the LN & rewatching s1 again after a while, It’s just the lack of content they added in s1 but ppl weren’t expecting COTE to continue anime wise, however s2 is slightly better than s1 but there r just key moments from the LN that would have been good if they added it into the anime. Welp lets see how s3 does this year ending Yr1.

I just wish they will adapt everything they can. This is the key part of the first year.

Apr 27, 2023 7:04 PM

Mar 2021
it failed to wow people until like the last episode. It didn't do that well in polls during summer where it wouldn't regularly occupy the top 10.

Also mystery and wits seem flawless on paper but don't translate well to anime. Since retrospective reveals after just one cours is too fast, and the whole season can almost feel fillerish. Other ln series not only have action but more overarching villains.

So the hype died really fast.
May 3, 2023 8:37 AM
Jul 2022
Yes. The LN is a masterpiece compared to the anime. But cote is not a masterpiece. Idk why tf people call it a masterpiece. I hate to say this word, but it's overrated af. Now by calling it overrated means I'm not calling it bad. It's just more hyped and praised way more than it deserves.
May 8, 2023 7:07 PM

Apr 2021
what i would say if this helps, although the reply is kinda late but what happens is that in order to fully enjoy the story imo is important to know the context of specific scenes, to know the details in order to understand how things ended up the way it did and to understand the actions and motivations of the character. So the anime leaves out a lot of context and details, so the story in the anime will seem a little bit bland imo. The anime tends to skip a lot of ayanokouji thought process and internal monologues. 
May 17, 2023 11:11 AM
Mar 2023
Daily remainder

COTE soled CSM in BD/DVD sales
https://twitter.com/Namaryuu/status/1607688668784754690?s=20
đź“ť writing is what matters for a show to become successful not the animation
AyanokamisamaMay 17, 2023 11:22 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e Volume 11 Discussion

Syureria - May 16, 2019

28 by karrotStick »»
Feb 24, 1:16 PM

» Koenji in Volume 10 Special Exam

OldMonkeyBoy - Feb 22

3 by Peyta12 »»
Feb 22, 8:34 AM

» Volume 0 finnaly on Mal

Pussyit8 - Jan 22

9 by Pendragon572 »»
Jan 24, 2:24 AM

» when should I read volume 0?

Praveen05 - Oct 3, 2023

7 by dodoo_ »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Favorite Volume in Year 1

Praveen05 - Oct 11, 2023

8 by dodoo_ »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.