Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2022 4:25 PM
Dec 2021
I've been able to see the film and it's surprisingly alright. The CGI can sometimes look really good but in other areas (basketball matches) can look clunky and take away from the hype.
Dec 4, 2022 2:28 AM
Jan 2020
What chapters do this movie cover?
Dec 4, 2022 6:17 AM

Feb 2021
AshPikaKetchum said:

Remaining ones which were not adapted in the old series.
Dec 4, 2022 11:07 PM
Feb 2021
Memore said:
AshPikaKetchum said:

All of them? Or just a portion?
Dec 4, 2022 11:20 PM

Jan 2009
finished watching the movie they made it a standalone story no need for new fans to watch the old show or read the manga

they changed the characters story to focus on ryota and not sakuragi but all the game story against sannoh is the same

i just hope the movie made it all 3DCG and not switching between 2D and 3D
degMar 11, 7:20 AM
Dec 4, 2022 11:22 PM

Mar 2021
Memore said:
AshPikaKetchum said:

I actually saw the movie on the 3rd. All the rest of the episodes that were not done in the anime were not made into movies.

I can't go into detail because it would be a spoiler.

Dec 4, 2022 11:37 PM

Mar 2021
Well... I'm a bit worried about how much I can spoil. I'm not good at spoilers, so I'm afraid I'm going to give it all away...

If you're curious, I'd be more comfortable talking about it if you message me privately or ask me in the comments.

Dec 5, 2022 12:07 AM

Feb 2021
OvergrownRover said:
Memore said:

All of them? Or just a portion?

I don't know about it, sorry. Haven't watched the movie yet.
kihel said:
Memore said:

I actually saw the movie on the 3rd. All the rest of the episodes that were not done in the anime were not made into movies.

I can't go into detail because it would be a spoiler.

Thanks. Then why they even made this movie, I wonder.
Jan 8, 2023 9:55 PM

Jul 2014
Just finished watching it, my expectations were low but damn.... the amount of flashbacks that werent even in the manga cause for some reason they made the story all about Miyagi instead thus completely removing Sakuragi's story and Anzai's backstory, like you literally feel like all the other members were side characters for Miyagi, I have never felt so disconnected with a supposed sequel film of one of my most beloved story.
The CGI while not being bad, still lacks the impact that 2D animation would have been able to deliver and Jesus christ I did not know they changed the VA's, they do not even sound similar to the past VA's.
Overall this felt like a standalone instead of a sequel, I do not know these characters.
Waste of time, waste of money.
I would not recommend this for anyone, just read the manga if you want the actual continuation to where the TV series ended.
As for me....  I'll just pretend I never saw this piece of shit.
Feb 1, 2023 3:12 AM

Jun 2013
just finished watching this at the cinemas, first day of its public screening here in the Philippines. tangina ang ganda't angas! animators really nailed the CGI damn, got us cinema-watchers hyped up all throughout the game. my inner young-self probably screamed after seeing her anime childhood crushes (Hanamichi, Ryota, RUKAWA) in 4K lolol. anyways, I honestly didn't recognize Haruko at first haha still cute but not really a fan of her modern-anime look. obsessed with Ayako's, mad gorgeous omg literally the one that caught my attention. felt bad for Eiji tho, carried his team fr
Feb 1, 2023 3:16 AM

Jan 2016
I just finished watching it a while ago, Our Cinema were not full but I can sense that they're fan of the anime and knew all of the Shohoku Guys and they react most of the time to Sakuragi's funny scenes maybe because it reminds us of the old anime and we knew his character very well.

I like the plot/storyline that they choose BUT I wish they didn't cut some key moments even if Ryota is the main focus they also did a good job to share the spotlight to others but they cut most of the key moments for me which was understandable since it's a movie but kind of disappointed because of it.

I also wish the last shot didn't took to long then cut the celebration very short, rhe Audience from my cinema was so ready to erupt to celebrate after Rukawas' last score to take the lead for Shohoku but the our cinema crowd got the pause when Sannoh goes back to offense and Eiji did a "Jordan Last Shot" moment to silence the crowd then the game winning shot from Tensai which for me took a couple of seconds too long than needed that it almost made the celebration from our cinema audience not in sync because it took too long and killed the momentum for some of us(Audience) and then the rush ending of the actual game celebration to quickly go back to Ryota's own beach scene.

And I also hated that weird ending, I mean I don't think that's canon to the story because that didn't happened in the Manga. lol
RedSon14Feb 1, 2023 3:19 AM
Feb 2, 2023 2:17 PM
Apr 2018
RedSon14 said:
And I also hated that weird ending, I mean I don't think that's canon to the story because that didn't happened in the Manga. lol

How can you say it's not canon when the scriptwriter and director of the film is Takehiko Inoue himself?
Feb 2, 2023 5:59 PM

Jan 2016
LemonadeYou-kyan said:
RedSon14 said:

How can you say it's not canon when the scriptwriter and director of the film is Takehiko Inoue himse
 I said it because that's my opinion. Did you saw the movie already? that scene doesn't make any sense.

I thought the author will continue the series but it looks he choose to officially end it in a weird way.
Feb 8, 2023 8:12 AM
Jun 2020
one of the best, if not the best, usage of 3DCG in anime.
Feb 15, 2023 4:22 AM

Aug 2014
Loved the movie. I used to not like CGI, but the movie has completely changed my opinion. It was freaking great and you would forget you were watching CGI anyway.

I understand why they cut some parts from the manga, like for example they didn't show why the fistbump between Mitsui & Akagi meant alot, or even Sakuragi saying he loves basketball for real. It's a 2 hour movie, not a series. There are only so many scenes they could include.

Inoue also said on the official site interview that he made this in a way for old fans to experience Slam Dunk as if it's their first time (hence the new scenes through the backstory and new point of view), and for non-fans to be able to follow along even if they've never watched anything about Slam Dunk before. This way they can follow the match and the story without missing too much context that they would feel disconnected from the movie. That is why it was titled "The First Slam Dunk", so that people could "meet" the story for the first time.

I know everyone had their own expectations, but that always ends up in a bit of disappointment, even if just a little bit. So I watched this movie just like I would any other movie, and I loved it so much. I've watched it 5 times now, and I still feel the same emotions I did the first time, the thrill and excitement, and also heart-wrenching parts. There are also little things you notice when rewatching, like how Ryota & his mom always wore black/dark colors throughout the movie, but finally wore white at the end in the beach. Also did you guys notice Kainan and Shoyo in the background? I only noticed on my 4th rewatch. 😂

The short moment of Sakuragi going through his memories also felt like a nod to the older fans, though of course that was in the manga, but they could have left it out. So I'm glad they included it. It lets newer audiences become interested in the story that led to that point.

I think I also understand why they made Ryota the main character, but this is just my personal opinion, I'm not saying this is truly the reason why. Sakuragi is a newbie and we've seen the story in the manga from his perspective. Showing it unfold from the eyes of a newbie who grew to love basketball, it would feel incomplete if they showed the grand conclusion of his journey in this movie. I think this is also why they omitted the part where he says he loves basketball now. Meanwhile, Ryota's journey was more about grief and loss, being able to accept and move forward. After the loss of his brother, whom he shared his love with basketball with, he had a difficult time in grieving, as did his mother. In all that time, one thing was constant and that was his love for basketball. In a sense, I somehow thought that way with this series. Since the movie is supposed to show the ending of Slam Dunk in adapting the Sannoh match, it's in a way showing the fans how they can come in acceptance that they can still love Slam Dunk and continue forward even after it's over. I know it's a reach, but that's how I interpreted it.

However I do think this won't be the last of this series, I still believe they will maybe make a new adaptation of the whole series in the future no matter how far of a future that is.

Feb 24, 2023 7:53 AM
May 2018
Just got back from the teather after watching it. 10/10.

The CG looks goofy in the trailers but when you get into it while watching the movie, it allows for a lot of quick movements to really set the pace of the game.

Although story-wise (spoilers!), it cannot really replace the whole manga arc. More supplementary, although an amazing one. It will be better if you watch it after you finish reading the manga.
em_doubleyouFeb 24, 2023 8:14 AM
Feb 27, 2023 11:52 AM

Oct 2020
I just want to know one thing... Is the high five scene well done?
Feb 28, 2023 6:55 PM
Mar 2021
that scene was awesome. I got chills watching it
Mar 10, 2023 11:20 PM
Sep 2015
I haven't watch or read any Slam Dunk before (despite I watch nearly every sports anime out there), and I just watch this movie, and I'm shocked at how extreme this movie is. Surprisingly drama, spiritual, emotional, all comes together, the music is very exciting, the visual is not annoying at all despite being 3DCG. I wouldn't mind that it just won Japan Academy Prize for best animation (against the more popular One Piece Red), though among the nominees I favor Inu-Oh a little bit more.

Oh and those guys are cute, totally shippable by today's BL-bait standard.
Mar 24, 2023 5:47 PM

Dec 2019
Really eager to watch this but my region is around Northern Europe, anywhere it's available online or through nyaa?
Apr 22, 2023 4:40 AM
Jul 2022
dont like the throwback
May 1, 2023 8:39 PM
May 2018
Euroqean said:
Really eager to watch this but my region is around Northern Europe, anywhere it's available online or through nyaa?

even in those sites it will only be available after the blurays are out. And the blurays usually don't come out until the theater run in Japan is done + a few months, give or take. It's still showing there.
May 8, 2023 9:57 PM

Aug 2019
Miyagi fans stay winning.
May 13, 2023 11:40 AM

Apr 2019
Cool movie, would recommend
May 13, 2023 12:03 PM
May 2023
https://discord.gg/7VNs6FJWqE
HE DRANK LIFE BEFORE SPITTING IT OUT
May 15, 2023 1:22 PM

Jun 2021
oh, well... for being a anime movie released in italy, it received a better promotion than most of them, including a full week of screenings (instead of just a couple of days at best) planned to end the day after tomorrow as i'm writing this message. Due to a busy day job schedule, i couldn't attend the opening day and i haven't seen yet the live reaction videos of packed theaters, today in the late afternoon show there were just me, my boss and other 10 people at best.

It was pretty good. Didn't mind the 3D CG graphics since the first trailers and it turned out to be good, i was more concerned about switching the main focus from Sakuragi to Miyagi. Nothing against the guy of course and can understand the choice as how it all began for the redhead genius / king of rebounds is a well known story for people already expert of the series, but some parts were honestly too predictable, as having him as a kid yelling at his older brother to not come back from the boat (and obviously it actually happened). On the court, it was a great, great comeback even if honestly not very realistic, especially considering that this match happened in a time when there were still two halfs of 20 minutes each instead of 4 quarters of 10, 30 seconds to shot instead of 24, and it must not be forgotten that Shohoku as usual never used the bench players (at least after halftime, but probably before too) except for two brief moments of Kogure. Very thrilling final minute, but what an error for Sannoh to not let more seconds pass before the final shot.
Jul 11, 2023 10:37 PM

Jun 2011
Just watched the movie in Toho cinema in shinjuku.
I love Slam Dunk so much. My childhood and nostalgia comes strong with it.
Went in with low expectations because of what I saw in the teaser specially CGI stuff.
But it was amazing. I love how they kept most of the key moments of the sannoh match in the movie despite the time limit.
I also like the added scenes and the fleshing of most shohoku players. Although I was surprised with the focus on Miyagi in a positive way and the lack of focus on Ruka in a little negative way. He deserved better.
Overall loved it 9/10
Jul 25, 2023 3:28 AM

Oct 2017
RedSon14 said:
I just finished watching it a while ago, Our Cinema were not full but I can sense that they're fan of the anime and knew all of the Shohoku Guys and they react most of the time to Sakuragi's funny scenes maybe because it reminds us of the old anime and we knew his character very well.

I like the plot/storyline that they choose BUT I wish they didn't cut some key moments even if Ryota is the main focus they also did a good job to share the spotlight to others but they cut most of the key moments for me which was understandable since it's a movie but kind of disappointed because of it.

I also wish the last shot didn't took to long then cut the celebration very short, rhe Audience from my cinema was so ready to erupt to celebrate after Rukawas' last score to take the lead for Shohoku but the our cinema crowd got the pause when Sannoh goes back to offense and Eiji did a "Jordan Last Shot" moment to silence the crowd then the game winning shot from Tensai which for me took a couple of seconds too long than needed that it almost made the celebration from our cinema audience not in sync because it took too long and killed the momentum for some of us(Audience) and then the rush ending of the actual game celebration to quickly go back to Ryota's own beach scene.

They added new stuff to the ending?
Jul 26, 2023 4:05 PM

Apr 2011
MegamiRem said:
RedSon14 said:

They added new stuff to the ending?

Yes and since the movie was made by the mangaka it's gotta be canon.
Jul 28, 2023 4:08 PM
Mar 2015
Just watched this in an empty theater  One of the best sports animes I have ever watched Mostly followed Miyagi's life through the second half of the Sannoh game with a short epilogue dealing with his mom and his brother Liked that he gave her his brother's wrist band  which becomes part of his memorial  Numerous flashbacks to show us how we got to this moment Incluiding one at the end between Myiagi and his nemesis when they were in junior high
Jul 28, 2023 7:50 PM

Aug 2019
The basketball stuff is great. The non-basketball stuff is great. I was ready to give this movie a high rating just for the fact alone that I fuck with Miyagi the most, but then the rest of the movie happened and left me with a goddamn adrenaline rush. Inoue is a fucking powerhouse!
Jul 28, 2023 8:18 PM
Sep 2016
Just got back from the theater, I really liked it! I will say what did they do to Haruko? Such a downgrade, she looked way better in the 90s anime.
Jul 28, 2023 10:25 PM

Aug 2019
landofthekwt said:
Just watched this in an empty theater  One of the best sports animes I have ever watched

If I'd been the only one in my theater, I would've been going wild lol There were about five other people when I went to watch, so not a lot, but not enough to really react out loud and not feel weird about it. I wished to myself at one point that it was a packed theater, which is a first, so that everyone could go crazy and it'd feel like I was in the audience of an actual basketball game.
bucciestJul 28, 2023 10:30 PM
Jul 29, 2023 3:00 PM

Jul 2017
Watched the movie today after re-reading the manga yesterday night and today morning, and my impressions after leaving the theatre were... weird.

Some elements were pretty damn good. CG ain't the best all the time with some goofy scenes and moments present but there were many closeup sequences that looked great, and there was loads of movement everywhere to keep the game engaging. It ain't perfect, but the CG was justified enough in this movie and felt more exciting and raw in its own way than something like Kuroko no Basuke for me. The lack of monologues while having the characters feel a little flat, actually helped the game feel more real and exciting to watch. The sound design was also pretty great for the most part. Music were used during key phases and not overused the entire time, making those scenes feel more hype and meaningful as a result. And for a contrast, the final part of the game was incredible and a key part of that was the music and sound just evaporating and slowing down the game at the clutch seconds, making it feel even more intense in the theatre than I expected.

However, some of the other elements were kind of a mixed bag. I like the focus they gave to Miyagi's character with additional content but some elements like the plot with his brother came off as too predictable with their split off before his brother's trip, and really, the flow of the movie was rough because there were many, many flashback scenes interspersed in the movie. A decent amount of those moments not really adding much to this movie in particular and instead feeling like a distraction at times. Since the movie immediately started at the Sannoh game, there were a decent amount of content that was skipped over, especially with Sakuragi's training with his jumpshots to push himself to new heights. Feel like the cut content made his character feel somewhat flat in this movie. He doesn't get his cheesy lines with Haruko mid-game, nor did he get the epilogue focus on what happened to his body and the aftermath of the whole series after that intense game. Feels like plot elements were missing and were sacrificed for this game and Miyagi's backstory, feeling like a net negative overall.

Inoue displayed a lot of passion with directing his own manga to movie, and it showed on the big screen. It ain't perfect but it looked much better than I imagined. The big moments in the game did hit, but the flow of the game just didn't click for me, especially with the missing elements and Miyagi's story constantly being shoved mid-game coming across as forced more than anything, especially since he was not the most important character in this match. I like Miyagi but this didn't hit completely for me and I wish some of the cut moments were present here instead, even just showing a bit of background and training at the beginning to transition to the big game against Sannoh.

Overall, it was sort of fun to watch, especially the basketball part. But the story felt somewhat shallow here. Kind of a shame since the manga's final match was amazing, and a part of that was because it was rewarding seeing Sakuragi work his ass off in training while sacrificing his body and health for the team, and to have his moment at the end. Haruko was a complete afterthought here and the missing epilogue for them and everyone else. It was nice seeing the Miyagi family move on from Sota's death and take steps forward, but the part with him and Sawakita in US for a brief period didn't feel satisfying enough for a payoff for this franchise. I'm whining a lot but overall, it was a decent movie. Just could have been a lot better.
Jul 29, 2023 7:52 PM
Jul 2015
I hate Slam Dunk, the manga. I ended up dropping it around chapter 130 because I thought it was painfully generic and did not offer anything special, among other things. One of my biggest gripes with it was Sakuragi.

I loved this movie. You know why? Sakuragi, who I deem possibly the worst protagonist of all time in anything ever, was phased out for a more likeable focus, Miyagi. Miyagi was great in this movie and making him the center of it was the best thing to ever happen to this series. Having reduced unfunny 'I'm a genius' and 'omg i wont pass to rukawa' jokes was a miracle. Not having to endure Sakuragi's arrogance was a miracle. This movie was awesome because of Miyagi. Real character development and writing for the first time ever. I seriously couldn't believe it, a complete 180 of what I read in Slam Dunk. Soundtrack and animation were awesome. The actual basketball was awesome. I don't know why, but I really did not like the basketball portions of the manga. They were incredibly boring, but for whatever reason, they were finally engaging in this movie.

Really surprised at how good this movie was, especially given how disappointed I was in the manga.

Jul 31, 2023 5:22 AM
Aug 2020
it was really a great movie.

the trailer was good but i was a little bit worried.

i like the way that they change the main character of the story, the animation was really,great ost.

and the last shot was just crazy,no sounds!!!!!

The king is back!!!
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Aug 3, 2023 12:00 AM
Sep 2016
Saw the movie in theater tonight. Pretty good crowd actually. Boy oh boy, what a masterpiece. 10/10
Aug 3, 2023 2:40 PM

Aug 2015
The movie was fucking sensational, but what took my hype to the stratosphere was the fact that the motif of Shohoku's main theme was clearly based of Sirius, the song that the Bulls used to play before presenting their stars in the 90's.
Aug 4, 2023 6:46 AM
Mar 2016
This was a freaking masterpiece, we need something like this of the last part of the manga.

And, if inoue wants to continue with the story, im all in with him. He have shown he knows how to script and direct the show even after all these years.
Aug 7, 2023 3:03 AM
Jun 2023
Fun ass movie to watch, looks way better than I thought it would. Just wished the epilogue was better, felt abrupt and lackluster compared to the manga. Also, wished Hanamichi had more depth to this movie since in the manga, I cared for everything he did successfully since they did show him bust his ass training with his jumpshot and other factors to be a huge gamechanger. But otherwise, had a good time.
Aug 7, 2023 7:15 AM
Apr 2013
The best Directing representing perfectly what it feels to read the manga, one of the best Movies of all time
Aug 7, 2023 2:10 PM
Dec 2021
alitos2 said:
The best Directing representing perfectly what it feels to read the manga, one of the best Movies of all time

movies watched:2
fuck off

Aug 8, 2023 7:22 AM

Mar 2015
I'm the only one that has the feeling that this type of CGI with static facial expressions is kind of empty in emotion? I liked the movie, it's far from bad, but I couldn't connect to the characters in the way I connected while reading the manga
poticardoAug 10, 2023 5:55 AM
Aug 11, 2023 8:15 AM

Jan 2016
Never expected Slam Dunk to be the quintessential Anime cinema experience.

Fuck man, the emotions! Never seen a cinema public in Sweden applaud an Anime film.
Aug 14, 2023 8:16 PM
Feb 2017
Possibly the best sports anime ever produced. A new spin on a story and somehow made 3D animation so palatable that I'd watch a whole follow-up series if it was done this well!
Aug 15, 2023 1:24 AM

Apr 2016
Such a good fucking movie! It was so exciting and I don't even really like sports! The game had me on the edge of my seat! That, interwoven with some of the motivations of the players (mainly Ryota), made the action very emotional. I thought they were gonna lose!!!! But when they won XD XD XD XD XD That final jump shot at the buzzer!!!! WOW!!! I felt like I was on the court with them!!!

I had never seen anything regarding Slam Dunk; all I knew was that it's held in very high regard. But since I'm not really interested in sports, I had no real drive to check it out. But when I saw that a new Slam Dunk movie was gonna come out, I thought it'd be worth looking into and seeing what it's about. And man am I so glad I did!!!! I'm definitely gonna watch the show now :D I think I read that the anime and movie have different voice actors and different music. That's a bummer cause I fucking loved the voice acting. And the music was super fucking rad!!!!

The crowd in the theater (about two dozen people) was awesome as well XD it seemed like everybody there was a fan :) the ooooohs and ahhhhs at all the shots made it feel like I was at a real basketball game hahaha :D one person even had a Shohoku jersey on! I wanna say it was number 10 hahaha XD

And while the action was exciting, the underlying theme of perseverance was extremely impactful. It looked like the game was gonna be over for Shohoku so many times!!! But like Ryota's brother said in the beginning of the movie, "the real game begins after you fall" :')
Aug 15, 2023 6:40 PM
Oct 2022
Obra de arte del cine japones
Aug 29, 2023 11:44 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Just Saw this in Spanish dub..
Thank goodness I took Spanish in school ..
But I wanted to watch in Japanese dub, the wait goes on...

I think the movie was released in Spanish in the Philippines..
I don't think it's Spainish version of Spain .
@Hitagi__Furude @deg, Tatum, poz, jb..
ryo-sanAug 30, 2023 12:59 AM

Aug 30, 2023 1:14 AM

Jan 2009
@ryo-san

its been decades since i last go to the cinema here but im sure if its release here it will be in tagalog dub
Aug 31, 2023 7:51 AM
May 2021
10/10 movie, peak fiction!! Goat Slam Dunk.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think more anime should be directed by the mangaka?

APolygons2 - May 8

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 10, 5:21 AM

» Is this a sequel?

Andrevenus01 - May 3

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 4, 1:51 PM

» Blu-Ray when?

HusaynTV - Aug 14, 2023

9 by leftjoycon »»
Apr 2, 9:56 PM

» 『THE FIRST SLAM DUNK』Movie Blu-ray/DVD LIMITED EDITION + Standard Edition sold 234,764 copies in its first week

deg - Mar 5

5 by Otaku_4511 »»
Mar 14, 8:48 AM

» Never watched slam dunk

SakataGintoki420 - Jun 18, 2023

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 28, 2023 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.