Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 14, 2022 11:17 PM

Jan 2017
So I decided to finally give the light novels a chance [after having my opinion of overlord completely change for the better after reading the light novels] yet starting the first volume of SAO it definitely felt a lot more intriguing but by page 140 or so in volume 1 it just feels so awful to completely skip like 50% of the story right up to floor 74 and then keep referencing events [like meeting asuna] yet never even showing it.

Like am I forgetting and they cover this in flash backs or something in other volumes [been years since I watched the SAO anime so no idea how it was structured] but overall this massive jump is just insane and it surprises me how SAO even got popular with such a disservice to what could've been a great concept.

If this only applies to the aincrad that's fine I guess but could you guys tell me if the pacing gets sorted out after aincrad? for example for fairy dance and phantom bullet? or is it just as rushed as aincrad? Like the entire reason I thought the LNs would be better is because they would take their time buildings things up compared to the very rushed and shallow anime but so far for the aincrad arc it really doesn't improve as much as I expected.
Nov 28, 2022 1:54 AM

Feb 2022
You're not wrong, that's pretty much how it went. They just skip the whole thing and suddenly they're fighting some super boss and then the guy who trapped them, the mastermind, in quick succession. Things improve in phantom bullet since the story isn't like he needs to complete X rounds or win tournament Y or beat floors Z. It's more of a solving murder mystery and catching the culprit sort of thing. I haven't gone past phantom bullet though. Fairy dance is pretty much a complete and thorough dumpster fire, no use pondering over the rushed question for that.
Dec 5, 2022 10:22 PM

Oct 2020
That's because it is rushed. The author really wasted SAO'S potential by not fully utilizing Aincrad arc , it should have been 10+ novels at least. Iirc SAO was just a novel submitted to a contest , the author couldn't imagine it was going to turn into one of , if not the biggest LN series , though he never bothered to re-write it early on and continued. Quite a mistake i must say
Dec 6, 2022 3:42 AM

Apr 2020
I haven't read the novels, but I know that the aincrad arc is spread out across a number of novels in a random order and considered canon side stories
Dec 15, 2022 5:27 AM
Oct 2015
The author originally wrote the novel for a contest. That’s why it skips around a lot and ends quickly. It ended up winning the contest and becoming huge with multiple novels and anime. The author is going back now with sword art online progressive and writing it floor by floor. If you want to know what happens in detail, you should read progressive.
Jan 18, 2023 7:37 AM

Jun 2021
Sword Art Online is meant to be consumed whole. Web Novel, Light Novel, Manga, Progressive, Anime, Spin Offs, Material Edition and OriginalContent.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Dec 27, 2023 4:06 AM

Oct 2020
U should check out the Progressive.
The original SAO first 2volumes are actually rushed.

Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jan 19, 4:08 PM
Apr 2023
Read the Progressive light novel, 8 tome and it's only the 7th floor.

More topics from this board

» Stuff that made you lower your score/rating? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 18, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Volume 4 Chapter 9 Discussion

Shadow_Strider - Dec 4, 2012

2 by eleonora_43 »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:23 AM

» Continue the LN after the last season

baltazak - Apr 5, 2023

2 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:52 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 2 Discussion

Kiba_Senpai - Nov 27, 2022

0 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Chapter 62 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Sep 22, 2022

0 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Sep 22, 2022 9:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.