Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2022 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
74th episode of the anime — "The Real Monster" is aptly named. When we first started Monster, we thought Johan was the Monster but as we look on what drove Johan to do what he did, we start questioning who the real 'Monster' is. Monster is a deeply philosophical anime that will make you question your concept of morality, give you new perspectives on a lot of stuff, and take your mind on a trip. So it's not a mere tale of a serial murderer killing people and being the Monster. It is very deep. It doesn't give you definite answers, but instead it will provoke you to think and ask questions to yourself life, the universe and everything. Truly a masterpiece.

As Roger Ebert said, "The most powerful films often simply show you events without instructing you how to feel about them."

Monster is one of them.

Who do you think The Real Monster is? My vote is on Dieter. The red haired kid.
Oct 26, 2022 2:56 PM
Sep 2021
The real monster is the mal community that’s slowly evolving (or should I say devolving) to a cringe toxic and dumb “weeb Twitter” full of fatherless trolls who put the least amount of effort to create the worst possible threads ever. And then there are the equally retarded people (me included) who waste time to reply thus allowing the stupidity to grow bigger
Oct 26, 2022 3:16 PM

Feb 2021
I think that ultimately it is Johan. He’s one screwed up creature. And he’s intent on keeping the path he has found himself on. The story explores the subject very aptly though, showing us many different facets to this question. Many characters show these traits, even the other doctors and the fiancée in the beginning. Johan consistently “out-monsters” them all.

However, that being said, I think the answer to the author’s actual question is probably something along the lines of that potential for monstrosity being in all of us. It’s a little trite, but it makes sense given how the story unfolds. “The landscape of the end” and all that could possibly factor into all that as well.

Without a doubt one of the most intricately designed stories in anime history, and probably one of the top monster tales of all time. It takes its place easily with the Frankensteins, Draculas, and Darth Vaders of literature. It’s quite a show.

You might enjoy my full review of the series. It’s been a while since I wrote it and I need to update it in several areas, but it has a lot of detailed thoughts about the show, and I’d just finished watching the show when I wrote that. http://anteikuanimereviews.com/2021/04/16/monster/
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Oct 26, 2022 3:18 PM

Feb 2021
Oh and don’t listen to the trolls. The world of anime is full of all types, and I like it that way, but you made good points regardless of whether others have pointed them out before or not. Your reactions to this show are typical, as you can see, but that’s one of the big successes of this anime. Everybody comes out of it thinking very similar things. It obviously is getting its point across.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Oct 26, 2022 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
The friends we made along the way
Oct 26, 2022 3:40 PM
Dec 2018
sunnyrk said:

He really is… the best guy ever…
Oct 26, 2022 5:39 PM
Dec 2020
JYX said:
When the show has depicted Johan as a monster the whole series, this ‘twist’ doesn’t redeem his character or his actions AT ALL. Nothing can take back what Johan has done throughout the series, he is still the real monster.

its not deep johan is big murderer so who tf else is thr monster
Oct 26, 2022 7:58 PM
Apr 2022
I think the real monster is the metaphorical reference to "society". Because everything Johan does from start to finish is aided by people who wanted to attain their own selfish ends. (Also, Johan himself is a product of cruel human experimentation) So, the real monster is the inherent and dormant evil in all of us, which if manipulated, can make us commit misdeeds.
Oct 26, 2022 9:45 PM
Feb 2021
Know_Your_Master said:
I think the real monster is the metaphorical reference to "society". Because everything Johan does from start to finish is aided by people who wanted to attain their own selfish ends. (Also, Johan himself is a product of cruel human experimentation) So, the real monster is the inherent and dormant evil in all of us, which if manipulated, can make us commit misdeeds.

Yea that explains it pretty well, i believe the point is ultimately human society and the dormant capability for monstrosity but it can be interpreted in many ways that's what's so great about Monster, that's especially true with the ending scene because it's open and made in a way to confuse the viewers and allow for individual interpretation giving you something to think about for a bit rather then have a happy ending, works great.

Absolute Masterpiece.
Oct 26, 2022 11:54 PM
Oct 2022
Johan. I don’t care about what you think deep down, nothing is going to change my opinion on this. Johan killed without a second thought and acted like a true monster.
Oct 27, 2022 12:06 AM

Aug 2022
""""i am 12 and moster is to deep for me. monster is a deeply philosophical anime that will make you question your concept of morality, give you new perspectives on a lot of stuff""""

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oct 27, 2022 1:02 AM
Jul 2021
real monster - you
Oct 27, 2022 1:38 AM

Oct 2020
The real question here must be that which Monster is being talked about.
Is it the nameless monster of the picture book? or is it the monster which caused all those murders and havoc?

If it is the one who responsible for all the murders then it may be Johan, but most probably it's the Franz Bonaparta / Clause Pope. So the answer getting by scratching the surface of this series is Clause Pope.
But it isn't so simple.
The Monster of the picture book sure gave an obvious hint that the name of the boy was Johan.
But the monster which went inside the Johan was Clause Pope, as he is the one who created him.

If talked about the original monster of the book, when it splitted into two bodies to go in two different directions, the one who came back after eating everyone was Johan Liebert and the one who came back saying there is no need for the name was Wolfgang Grimmer.

They both were the part of Kinderheim Operation but Johan turned out to be the one who ate(killed) everyone whereas Grimmer came back with the real meaning to live and his curiosity solved and satisfied (no need of name).

It would make perfect sense like that but the lone survivor in the book was left alone with no one remaining to call him by his name. That's why Johan tried to become the lone survivor by killing everybody who knew him by commiting Perfect Suicide so as to become that a person never existed (explained by Lunge).
But there was already one person who became the nameless monster before Johan and that was the person who saved Johan, the General Wolf. He also had no one remaining who knew him, as Johan killed everyone who knew him.

Heck, It could also be the two monsters of the book be Johan and Nina where Nina is the one who came back with no name and lead the right life whereas Johan eating everyone. Where their Mother is the real monster instead of Clause Pope.

And the famous theory that Tenma is the last monster, where Johan showed him the scenery of the doomsday (which happened and Roberto couldn't see it) and Tenma shoots Johan (which didn't happen as stopped by the drunk dad) becoming the monster who killed the other monster to be left as lone survivor.

And!!! The Final Monster or you could say the First Monster which was mentioned in the first episode and first chapter.
The beast who came out of the sea (Kinderheim)
Having seven heads and ten horns and ten crowns on those horns
With name of blasphemy on the heads (all given by Clause Pope).
The dragon (Kenzo Tenma) gave power unto the beast (reviving him)
and They (Roberto and everyone who got manipulated by Johan) worshipped the beast saying ,
"Who is like unto the beast?"
"Who is able to make war with him?"
Oct 27, 2022 1:40 AM

Oct 2020
And I don't understand how these no brainers are trolling the series without either watching it or even after watching but not trying to understand it.
Oct 27, 2022 2:52 AM

Aug 2020
There's just no end to the debate coz at the end Johan never specifically hinted whether this "Monster" is a "who" he saw or a "what" he saw.

Idk. But I'd say it's the mother's act of letting go of either of her kids.
Oct 27, 2022 5:52 AM

Mar 2022
alotlikecars said:
74th episode of the anime — "The Real Monster" is aptly named. When we first started Monster, we thought Johan was the Monster but as we look on what drove Johan to do what he did, we start questioning who the real 'Monster' is. Monster is a deeply philosophical anime that will make you question your concept of morality, give you new perspectives on a lot of stuff, and take your mind on a trip. So it's not a mere tale of a serial murderer killing people and being the Monster. It is very deep. It doesn't give you definite answers, but instead it will provoke you to think and ask questions to yourself life, the universe and everything. Truly a masterpiece.

As Roger Ebert said, "The most powerful films often simply show you events without instructing you how to feel about them."

Monster is one of them.

but why do you think Dieter is the monster pls explain that
Oct 27, 2022 11:01 AM
Dec 2017
The politicians and and anyone else who participated in the experimenting on children at 511 kinderheim. Also, society technically because of their ultimate goal of creating another hitler.
Oct 27, 2022 11:10 AM
Sep 2022
the real monster is johan,but he's not the only one.
Oct 27, 2022 12:14 PM
Oct 2020
The real monster was the friends we made along the way.
Oct 27, 2022 4:07 PM
May 2022
sunnyrk said:

Fuckin beat me to it 😭
Oct 28, 2022 6:16 AM
Feb 2020
franz, he was the real monster.
He was the nameless monster from the book. Johan was one of those who he was supposed to have consumed.

I'd say that realization changed Johan and led to the final arc
Oct 28, 2022 6:35 AM
May 2022
alotlikecars said:

Monster is one of them.

The real monster is the evil within people, that was the purpose of the series from the very beginning to show us what human nature really is, how all of us have a monster inside us and some can control it some can't
Oct 30, 2022 8:52 AM
Aug 2021
tweetoot said:
alotlikecars said:

Monster is one of them.

Yes, explain this
Oct 30, 2022 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
S_Emmanuel said:
tweetoot said:

Yes, explain this

Only two people in this thread asked me to explain why Dieter was the monster, which is interesting because there are usually more who ask about it. I don't want to rob you of the joy of analyzing it yourself on a re-watch, so I will refrain from explaining it but we can discuss it once you give it a rewatch and figure it out! Cheers.
Nov 9, 2022 7:11 PM

Aug 2020
Not even Urasawa knows.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

160 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

204 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

139 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

95 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

104 by AdomaniaP »»
Jun 1, 7:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.