Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Kimi ni Todoke' Gets Live-Action Series

New
Sep 6, 2022 8:36 PM

Jul 2020
Netflix Japan announced a live-action series based on Karuho Shiina's Kimi ni Todoke (Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You) manga on Wednesday. TV Tokyo and Netflix are co-producing the series, with FINE Entertainment credited for production cooperation. The live-action will stream worldwide on Netflix in March 2023.

Sara Minami (Dragon Zakura 2) and Ouji Suzuka (Horimiya live-action) are starring as Sawako Kuronuma and Shouta Kazehaya, respectively.

Takehiko Shinjou (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso live-action) and Takeo Kikuchi (Kamen Dosokai) are directing the series, with Hayato Miyamoto (Takane no Hana-san) handling the script. Naomi Satoh is serving as the executive producer at Netflix. Taku Matsumoto (Gekikaradou), Masayuki Morikawa (Clover), Yuki Seike (Gokushufudou live-action), and Toshihiro Ito are credited as producers.

Nikkatsu adapted the manga into a live-action movie in Japan in 2010, with Naoto Kumazawa (The Anthem of the Heart) at the helm. The movie was released internationally as From Me to You in 2011.

The shoujo romance manga began serialization in Bessatsu Margaret magazine in May 2005 and has been collected into 30 volumes between May 2006 and March 2018. VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in August 2009 and shipped the final volume in September 2018.

Synopsis
Sawako Kuronuma is a 15-year-old student often mistaken for the horrific, vengeful spirit Sadako Yamamura from The Ring. The uncanny resemblance leads to Sawako being called "Sadako" instead. Due to her aloof and gloomy appearance, her peers have grown afraid, and they keep their distance from her. But despite such treatment, she harbors an innocent and diligent heart.

Given her honest desire to make friends, Sawako holds a profound admiration for Shouta Kazehaya, the most popular boy in her class. Through his refreshing personality and smooth interpersonal interactions, Kazehaya naturally draws in people. Wishing to be more like him, Sawako begins to spend more time with Kazehaya. While attempting to turn over a new leaf, Sawako finds herself encouraged to explore new things that she never dared before, with Kazehaya right beside her. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Source: Comic Natalie

News submitted by zanderlex
no
Sep 6, 2022 9:26 PM

Feb 2020
Kimi ni todoke is one of those shows which actually would benifit from rushing. Though still previous movie was too less runtime. So series would be perfect.
AdampkSep 6, 2022 9:48 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 6, 2022 10:06 PM

Jul 2015
That was IMO the best shoujo anime ever made. It's nice to know it is still getting love. But live action? Bruh....

Sep 6, 2022 10:13 PM

Aug 2013
Haha omg I would so watch this
Sep 6, 2022 10:30 PM

Jun 2010
This makes me feel nostalgic. Kimi ni Todoke was one of the top tier shoujo in my high school days.
The OG live action was decent too (also, rest in Peace to Haruma Miura who played Kazehaya in the first live action.).
I hope this series does well.
Sep 7, 2022 12:20 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I liked the anime version and I thought the live action movie was decent, but this will be more accessible since it’ll be on Netflix, so I’ll make sure to watch it.

@RobertBobert I’m not too sure about that then, xD. I think the characters are a bit too Japanese/Asian for Western actors to nail.
_MushiRock11_Sep 7, 2022 2:18 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 7, 2022 1:18 AM

Oct 2010
the manga was already unbearable to read, why the hell did they make a series for this? they should just adapt that infamous chapter and get over with
Sep 7, 2022 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
_MushiRock11_ said:
I liked the anime version and I thought the live action movie was decent, but this will be more accessible since it’ll be on Netflix, so I’ll make sure to watch it.

Imagine if it was American Netflix instead of Japanese.
Sep 7, 2022 4:54 AM

Jan 2013
Damn I thought it was another season for a second. There's still a lot of manga content that could be adapted.
Sep 7, 2022 4:57 AM

Nov 2016
How about S3 instead? 🙃

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 7, 2022 6:30 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
FMmatron said:
How about S3 instead? 🙃
I still need to watch this anime, but I second this notion
Sep 7, 2022 8:46 AM
Aug 2021
oh, that's cool i think
Sep 11, 2022 3:08 AM
Aug 2018
glad it's getting a live action series
Sep 12, 2022 3:13 AM

Jul 2010
To be honest, it took a long time to come to the most obvious solution.
May be some anime?
Sep 16, 2022 2:15 PM

Aug 2022
Piromysl said:
That was IMO the best shoujo anime ever made. It's nice to know it is still getting love. But live action? Bruh....

Pretty much my exact thoughts.. It's my favorite, but I just got into anime basically.
Maybe it will spark interest to continue the anime for s3?
A lot of source material left from manga, I hear over 100 chapters. Planning to read it soon.
Sep 20, 2022 7:53 PM
Oct 2020
When many fans saw or heard the news about kimi ni todoke, they remembered again about haruna miura roles in this manga before his suicide in 2020
Mar 5, 2023 8:36 AM

Aug 2019
Hopefully this series can do what the movie and anime weren't able to do and actually be a full adaptation of the series. There's only so many times "Kimi ni Todoke" should get adapted with it never reaching the end. As someone who recently finished the manga, it gets so much better and that needs to be covered, too. (Then again, with this new series being under Netflix I highly doubt it. They should just pick up the anime again.)

Also, Haruma Miura will be sorely missed. He's irreplaceable as Kazehaya. I'm sure this new guy will do fine, but it won't be the same.
Mar 7, 2023 6:24 AM

Aug 2018
Oh, I will so watch this.

I may be the only swords-lady among the Pillars who can't cut a demon's head off. But anyone who creates poison that can kill demons can be quite amazing.

Mar 9, 2023 12:22 PM

Aug 2010
Oooohhhh, so that's why Netflix began streaming the original anime.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

More topics from this board

» Animation Studio Gainax Declares Bankruptcy

Vindstot - Jun 9

27 by takkun_ »»
4 hours ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

23 by rektatron »»
5 hours ago

» 'Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!' Unveils Additional Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Jun 9

1 by CocoaGalaxy »»
10 hours ago

» Fourth Season of 'Osomatsu-san' Announced

Vindstot - Jun 6

19 by Sondo »»
Yesterday, 2:13 PM

» 'Mob kara Hajimaru Tansaku Eiyuutan' Reveals Additional Cast

Nioxys - Yesterday

1 by Yubisoft »»
Yesterday, 6:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.