Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2022 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
This finale episode seems to be a reflection of all the characters and what they've been through since the beginning. They also played the best theme song of the show that hit the feels.

I think it serves as a neat way to conclude the finale considering the emotional journey the cast went through. Great to see Lena and Shin together one last time again too. 8/10.

Jul 2021
I couldn’t stop laughing when Ernst is wearing a rain-deer hat but at least he got some fashion 😎 and this episode reminds me of the 2nd episode where it’s enjoyable full SOL arc for each of them but this one is a lot more memorable ;c

Shin visiting Eugene’s grave must be something hard and damn I know that white flowers Shin gave to his grave, symbolising undying love(?) (as in like best friends obv and I do kind of recall this scene similar in one of a episode from a different series where a guy gave a white flower to his one beloved person) 😭 and from all the aftermath, just gotta move forward and keep on fighting Shin the undertaker!

Yess, they also showed Lena’s perspective and she visits her father’s grave, not gonna lie her surrounding looks very hectic but that’s the effect from the battlefield after all, and anyways it’s nice to see she’s more livelier in her own town. Nice that they inserted the OP in the 2nd half, I love the camera type of style direction that they used once again, it's always interesting to detail using those every now and then, Juggernaut I mean fucking Fido is the best character we all need for that camera movement <3 Also there was a nice OST, Idk who is singing it but it's a very calm one! and FINALLY, A FACE TO FACE, YES, THAT'S ALL I NEED, I MAY NOW REST IN PEACE

After all the tragedy and war, just like that, the 2nd cour for the 1st season is over.. can’t live without 86.. 10/10 episode!

CQLLISTMar 19, 2022 5:26 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Just watched the finale episode on Abema TV and I'm so glad I did. I just couldn't wait an extra hour or so for the English subtitles so I decided to break my tradition (only Shingeki no Kyojin live on NHK TV) gladly.

Milize and the Squadron have finally met! Man, I was thinking they weren't going to show this but thankfully they did at the very end. Definitely got a little teary-eyed seeing Milize instantly break down upon her realization. Got to say, another fitting and beautiful ost to back it up too. I expected nothing less, honestly. But still, got to give credit where it's due.

Shin's new chapter in life, that was wonderfully handled throughout the first half. Nina's thankful bow on top of Shin's "arigatou" to his brother, glorious stuff! First part explored his reason of living and the second half started from him losing that but finding another reason ultimately. It's a message that has been wonderfully crafted and I'm sure it's one that'll stick around in some of us for long.

It was nice to see the Squadron beginning to appreciate different aspects of life. Meanwhile, it's wonderful to see that Milize and Annette along with a few other fighters emigrating to the Giad Empire to fight for the greater cause. Small sneak-peeks into some of the action from their side, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire OVA episode on that, y'know. But a Season 2 would be especially fantastic!

On another note, the choice of direction to portray some of the current events and aligning them with some of the past moments to give us some sort of a closure through the lens of Fido feels like homage to some of its usage in the previous episodes and that's just brilliant! One more moment in the episode that really warmed my heart was the scene of Shin and co. saying "Okaeri" to the President. In all fairness, we probably haven't seen the full image of him yet but, for everything so far, he deserved at least that!

Damn, they so teased us with that near hand-holding moments lmao. They totally had me there!

Easy 9/10. Seriously considered a 10 but I feel like some parts were a little rushed so I'll stick with a solid 9 instead. Might change in a few days' time, though. No guarantees xD.

I shared the link earlier (if you press the "fitting ost") section but here it is for those who are unable to spot it:

It's been on repeat for me for a while now... Now, a Season 2 please! If not by the April event, then I'm almost certain I'll purchase the novels. If this is all in animted content though, it sucks but it can't be helped. Thanks to all those involved in the creation of this masterful series!

Edit: Illustration to commemorate the final episode:

https://twitter.com/shirabii/status/1505197550713729025
_MushiRock11_Mar 19, 2022 8:25 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 19, 2022 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
“It’s been a while, handler 1” Legitimately in tears man. Sawano’s new OST for the final scene was absolutely perfect. This is the moment I’ve wanted to see for so long. A-1 just got everything right. When the anime got announced and A-1 were announced as the studio, I was worried because of how inconsistent they can be, but my fears were totally unfounded. Not only did they live up to my expectations, they blew past them. Every single week elevated the story to new heights, the level of detail and nuance in everything from the episode titles to small hints throughout the season…just phenomenal. My favourite series got the adaptation it deserved, can’t be happier.
Mar 19, 2022 8:00 AM

Mar 2016
The moment I was waiting for. Ah, I can’t with this masterpiece. Shin and Lena are perfect. What a reunion. The continuation of a journey with our characters having grown this much would be such a treat.
This cour may have had delays, but the end product was all I hoped for as a light novel reader. 9.5-10/10.
ShinLena best ship.
Mar 19, 2022 8:00 AM

May 2020
The contrast though… the state of federation and republic. Can’t say i’m surprised after witnessing what both of these sides went through over the course of almost one year this series lasted. Thus what better way to conclude with Lena arriving and finally getting the truth she always should have. Finally meeting everyone… have this moment engraved in the deepest part of your memories everyone.

Will miss this, for sure.

Mar 19, 2022 8:02 AM

Oct 2017
What an incredible way to end this cour, so glad it finally happened.

MegamiRemMar 19, 2022 9:57 AM
Mar 19, 2022 8:02 AM

Oct 2021
Their Reunion was so freakin good my eyes are blessed to see it.
Masterpiece Episode.
Mar 19, 2022 8:05 AM

Sep 2019
What a finale, giving two contrast of the Lena and Shin perspective shows how much these legions are going through. That new OST from Sawano was brilliant and again shed a tear seeing Lena and the 86 members reuniting in person. I'm really happy to be on this journey. I hope A-1 continues with the material.

9/10 overall for me
Mar 19, 2022 8:06 AM

Jul 2014
I hate how Shin and Lena meeting made me giggle and grin like a fangirl…. felt like I was in a trance not wanting to miss anything so I never blinked. God damn the chemistry that these 2 have despite only meeting personally just now. The friggin build up to this felt like its been years. And the moment when they were about to hold hands!!!! Yall saw how they looked at each other? Trust me when I say those are the eyes of wanting to bang the shit out of the other.
Theo knows whats up, he knows his bro got the hots for Lena with that illust lol.

Anyways it has been quite the ride. Tons of emotional episodes, got us down, sad, in pain but sometimes still made us smile, excited when they fight and own shit and lastly made us realize that “Long Distance Relationship” works esp if you hot.

Overall 8/6
Now, where is my SEASON 2 announcement?
Mar 19, 2022 8:08 AM
Sep 2015
Even I read the light novel, this episode is perfect, a masterpiece!!! I really like director Ishii Toshimasa!!!
Mar 19, 2022 8:10 AM
May 2021
SHINXLENA 💖🤧🤧👏🏻👏🏻✨✨ YES THEY MET FACE TO FACE A MASTERPIECE 10/10
Mar 19, 2022 8:16 AM
Aug 2020
oh man they didn't need to go that hard on the ending,freakin had happy tears the whole episode,the last few episodes had been in their own tier,not like other episodes were below it, but yea certainly one of the best show's i have watched till date and this might become one of my favourite episodes ever,the wait was more than worth it i don't know about other's but this show will surely have a special place in me, hopefully s2 gets announced
ReD3BGMar 19, 2022 8:22 AM
Mar 19, 2022 8:21 AM
Mar 2022
a masterpiece yessss the expected meeting of shin and lena has arrived. sawano's soundrak 👌 SHINXLENA 💖💖💖 SUPREME 10/10 an anime gem
Mar 19, 2022 8:27 AM
Apr 2021
Me: Why are you playing Avid so early?
Also me: Why are you playing kyoukaisen as the ed?

Just happiness and tears for the final segment.

I am curious though because I recall one or two OST tracks not being used... seems kinda wasteful that they weren't used in the end. Or who knows, perhaps a continuation in the future .
Mar 19, 2022 8:30 AM

Mar 2016
tensai95 said:

I am curious though because I recall one or two OST tracks not being used... seems kinda wasteful that they weren't used in the end. Or who knows, perhaps a continuation in the future .

The “Reginleif” OST crying in the corner lol.
Mar 19, 2022 8:35 AM

Feb 2021
The moment LN readers have been waiting to see in the anime for so long!

Mar 19, 2022 8:43 AM
Apr 2021
Shishou_23 said:
tensai95 said:

The “Reginleif” OST crying in the corner lol.

Yeah that and Alive Today iirc, but we got Sawanogod making a song to compensate so that cancels out.
Mar 19, 2022 9:02 AM
Feb 2022
it was something ay really enjoy the show and everything it was just a good journey
Mar 19, 2022 9:06 AM

Jul 2019
Truly the peak average war story I have ever witnessed. Peak.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Mar 19, 2022 9:08 AM
May 2021
See y’all in Season 2. If A-1 continues this quality till the series end this anime is definitely a classic in the making.
Mar 19, 2022 9:14 AM
Mar 2021
Welp I’m pretty dumb I just realized 86 part 2 is already out and is apart of the first season for some reason I thought it was going to be a second season and coming out while thanks for helping me realize😂
Mar 19, 2022 9:15 AM

Aug 2017
A great improvement to the already good first part. Full of emotions, sacrifice and a consistent character study.

9/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 19, 2022 9:28 AM

Apr 2014
The final was sooooo impressive. Finally, after the long journey, Lena and Shin met each other.
何それ?意味分かんない
Mar 19, 2022 9:34 AM

Mar 2017
Well that was an okay first season. I'm not excited about the "romance" but I expected that already back in part 1 when I saw the poster for the show, specifically Lena's design and her uniform. Hey, it's better than the author stumbling through complex societal issues she clearly cannot do well.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 19, 2022 9:35 AM

Nov 2016
I don't give a fuck about potenial romance, this meeting was just beautiful.

First season of 86 fully delivered. 9/10 for this part and 8,5/10 overall. One of the most audiovisually stunning adaptations I've seen in recent years.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2022 9:41 AM

Apr 2020
The wait was worth it.
Best anime of the season imo.
Yes better than KnY and AoT.
9/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Mar 19, 2022 9:43 AM

Jun 2011
Something I don't understand, did not Lena saw the squadron files she would be in charge of ? And she knows their names so how come she did not noticed it was them ? Moreover this time when Shin said it was not the first time, she should have recognized his voice right away...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2022 9:45 AM
Apr 2021
Eanki said:
Well that was an okay first season. I'm not excited about the "romance" but I expected that already back in part 1 when I saw the poster for the show, specifically Lena's design and her uniform. Hey, it's better than the author stumbling through complex societal issues she clearly cannot do well.

lmao okay I guess.
Mar 19, 2022 9:49 AM

Oct 2015
Aight, announce season 2 now damnit!
Mar 19, 2022 9:51 AM

May 2020
HE SMILEDD , MOST RPECIOUS SMILE IVE SEEN IN THIS SHOW
Mar 19, 2022 9:54 AM

Nov 2013
All good things must come to an end and 86 is no exception. Man this adaptation has been a roller coaster of emotions and in spite of all the hiccups it has suffered due to the production issues, the end result of the product turned out to be as amazing as a I hoped. Truly a love letter to any source reader fan.

As for the content the highlight of the episode was ofc Lena finally metting Shin face-to-face and damn it was as emotional as I hoped. Loved how they went with the dual perspective/parallel in the monologues to the salute and after it finishing the meet up with Fido’s PV on camera. That last part with Lena meeting the rest of the Spearhead squadron as the camera was spinning was particularly stunning.

Anyway now that 86 is finally over, I don’t even know If I want to see a season 2 down on the road (which was definitely teased with all the foreshadowing/cameos), that was how special this season ended up becoming to me… If an upcoming season is not gonna maintain this lvl of care and attention in terms of directing, then I don’t want to see it being made. My praise goes to Ishii who has done a brilliant job directing this masterpiece and ofc to the tireless staff of A-1 who were able to support the sucess of this adaptation. If a season 2 is fated to happen, I can only hope that these guys are back on board.
KaitonMar 19, 2022 12:24 PM

Mar 19, 2022 9:58 AM

Dec 2021
Can't expect anything more. Too perfect.

There's enough material for more seasons. Hope this will continue.

"𝑰𝒇 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒔, 𝑰 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Mar 19, 2022 10:02 AM

May 2020

NO CAUSE I HAD TO GO BACK 10000 TIMES TO SS ALL OF THIS AFTER WATCHING THIS EPISODE

Mod Edit: Removed multiple screenshots
KuniiMar 19, 2022 3:42 PM
Mar 19, 2022 10:08 AM
Mar 2018
Floating-Rhombus said:
Can't expect anything more. Too perfect.

There's enough material for more seasons. Hope this will continue.

I just noticed their hands form the "86" shape. What a way to do a title drop lol.
Mar 19, 2022 10:10 AM
Mar 2021
86 is the best anime ever
Mar 19, 2022 10:10 AM
Nov 2020
10/10. I genuinely cried tears of joy. Thank you to the entire staff for bringing this amazing light novel to life. Praying for a Season 2!
Mar 19, 2022 10:11 AM

Mar 2017
tensai95 said:

lmao okay I guess.

Yes? You pinged?

characterlimitis30characters
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 19, 2022 10:16 AM

Jul 2010
Perfect. They finally met. <3

Feb 2012
What a finale!

Fortress_MaximusMar 19, 2022 5:07 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 2022
10/10 I can’t say anything more to justify how much I enjoyed this story. Just 10/10
Mar 19, 2022 10:17 AM

Jun 2014
Damn that final scene, I'm not crying, you're crying 😭 finally the Squadron and Lena meet face to face, and the song playing during that scene was beautiful. Definitely accompanied the scene perfectly and elevated the emotions.

After a long while, the 2nd cour is finally over, and oh boy both parts of this first season were quite something. This was an emotional rollercoaster all the way to the end, now time to start huffing that hopium for a 2nd season. I'm gonna miss this series until that day hopefully comes.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 19, 2022 10:17 AM

Nov 2011
Tremendous finale to a Tremendous anime. Seriously. I thought the direction, art, animation, and design was some of the best it's been in quite some time. With Shin seeing his former comrades machines in clean condition and then Lena seeing them in beat up condition. Just seriously great. And they both left the memorial site the same way. *chefs kiss*

I loved this anime and I usually dislike Mech anime.

9/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 19, 2022 10:18 AM
Jan 2021
The last two episodes were really worth the wait, the ending along with the beautiful art of Hiroyuki Sawano left me dazed.
Really hope for the next season/movie to be announced soon. Really a 10/10 episode.
Mar 19, 2022 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
Oh c'mon! I freaking cried man! this was absolutely a banger of a season!
if only the studio didn't suffered from so many issues, this easily would've been one of the top anime contender..

WHERE SEASON 2?
If it is in works, then I hope A-1 takes their time and does the same maqnifique work like they did in season 1..

omw to read LN
Mar 19, 2022 10:19 AM

Apr 2019
My gosh what an amazing episode. High emotions throughout, and what a great way to end the season. Time to read the novel!

Mar 19, 2022 10:21 AM
Jul 2021
Seiya0890 said:
Something I don't understand, did not Lena saw the squadron files she would be in charge of ? And she knows their names so how come she did not noticed it was them ? Moreover this time when Shin said it was not the first time, she should have recognized his voice right away...

The names were blacked on the files they showed her. Only some names were shown but not the first five, being them
Mar 19, 2022 10:24 AM
Feb 2021
Eanki said:

I really like how the author handled the characters. I think the squadron and Lena are all likable and human enough. As for the themes, I can kinda see where you’re coming from. I think she handles themes of war well enough though. Lena and Shin already have chemistry so I think the romance will be good at least
Mar 19, 2022 10:24 AM

Jan 2022
Again I have so much to say about this episode but I don't know how to say it all....Lena finding out the Spearhead members are still alive was such a beautiful scene . The new sawano song in the background, them bringing back the fido pov from episode 10, the voice acting, the camera work when all the other Spearhead members talk to Lena, Shin and Lena's smiles to other...the rest of the episode was great too, Shin's arc being wrapped up with him visiting Eugene's grave, mending things with Nina and Marcel, and then the conversation about keeping his personal mark. And, of course, Teppy is alive.
While this might not mean much as I haven't watched much anime overall, 86 is the one show I've seen that I can rewatch almost over and over because of how all the production aspects come together to make it feel like a journey. It feels more like I'm watching an incredibly long movie than a collection of individual episodes because it all flows together so well.
I just really hope 86 gets a full adaptation, or at least a Season or two more, because the passion that's clearly been put into this show in almost every production aspect is too much for this show to become another one season source material promotion.
Well, hopefully we'll be back here next month, with a season 2 announcement, and if not then, sometime in the future, but if for some reason the anime adaptation ends here, it's been an absolutely wonderful ride, and at least there's still the light novels to read.
Mar 19, 2022 10:25 AM
Jan 2021
What a masterpiece
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2021

239 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 9:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.