Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2021 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
An April fool's joke in the month of October. Age is just trolling us, all smoke and mirrors.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2021 6:20 PM

Jan 2015
Yep. This is truly disgusting from Age.
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 13, 2021 9:39 PM
Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
An April fool's joke in the month of October. Age is just trolling us, all smoke and mirrors.

I don't think you need to start a thread just for this. Besides this is technically still a Muv-Luv Alternative anime. They didn't call this Muv-Luv anime, they did not call Muv-Luv Extra nor Muv-Luv Unlimited anime. Just Muv-Luv Alternative anime....
Oct 13, 2021 9:41 PM

May 2013
I hear it's bad. It's really that bad?

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 13, 2021 9:45 PM

Sep 2020
It’s the new Tsukihime anime at this point lol
Oct 13, 2021 9:46 PM
Feb 2015
_Nette_ said:

I'd recommend you to watch and judge yourself.
Oct 13, 2021 10:09 PM

Jan 2008
Kinda makes me wish they should get on The Euro Front/Duty Lost Arcadia as an original anime series instead and ditch the advertisement to future VN/game products.
Oct 14, 2021 1:28 AM
Jun 2012
It's not even that bad. An anime only would be missing out on a lot but this isn't really for them. This is to promote the new sequel visual novel.
Oct 14, 2021 2:26 AM
May 2021
Y'all being too harsh
Oct 14, 2021 2:47 AM

May 2011
ixarising said:
_Nette_ said:

I'd recommend you to watch and judge yourself.

Exactly. Watch for yourself. I'm a HUGE Muv-Luv Alternative fan, playing through the VN 15 years ago, not just once, but three times. And I'm enjoying this anime adaptation very much!
Oct 14, 2021 6:17 AM

Jul 2014
_Nette_ said:

Pick your poison.

Actually, No, don’t watch the anime. This adaptation is a disservice to both existing and new alike by a butchered adaptation limited to 1 cour, lazy ass animation, and overall just a big spoiler. It’s like watching the third Harry Potter movie without seeing the first two, how is anyone supposed to comprehend that?

Graciaus said:
It's not even that bad. An anime only would be missing out on a lot but this isn't really for them. This is to promote the new sequel visual novel.

Then who’s this for? Clearly not the VN readers.
Oct 14, 2021 6:31 AM

Jun 2012
This is something we've already collectively agreed on.
Oct 14, 2021 7:37 AM
Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
_Nette_ said:

Pick your poison.

Actually, No, don’t watch the anime. This adaptation is a disservice to both existing and new alike by a butchered adaptation limited to 1 cour, lazy ass animation, and overall just a big spoiler. It’s like watching the third Harry Potter movie without seeing the first two, how is anyone supposed to comprehend that?

Graciaus said:

Then who’s this for? Clearly not the VN readers.

Okay calm down now, i think you're going too extreme here. You don't have to stop people from watching. In fact i think we should be doing opposite. Get them to watch, if they enjoy it good, if they didn't well READ THE FREAKING VN.
ixarisingOct 16, 2021 6:43 PM
Oct 16, 2021 3:14 PM
Nov 2020
_Nette_ said:

Bad in the sense that it's an abridged adaptation. There are several fundamental problems with the adaptation, it all boils down to money, but the key is trying to adapt a trilogy into a 1-2 cour anime format.

If you don't already know, Muv-Luv is an story about the protagonist living though different timelines, while retaining his memories. Alternative (what's being adapted) is part 3 of the trilogy, the endgame or the final run. They didn't/couldn't adapt the first and second part which takes away a lot of the impact. Only doing Alternative is like a perfect no death speedrun of "Re:Zero" or "All you need is kill (edge of tomorrow)".

Then there's also the issue where fans want this to be like reliving the experience of the visual novels. This is folly but understandable due to their emotional investment. However, due to a number of financial investments, they cannot get things to be the way it was, not just with the prior mentioned problem with episode count, but the character designs and the music. Avex, the biggest player in all of this, wanted to keep a lot of the production within the family. Tencent is also part of this. You can imagine how these factors will affect the production, not just creatively but also politically.

Personally, I think it's too late to complain about this. The anime isn't just for the fans, a big reason behind the anime adaption, most anime adaption in fact, is to grow the franchise. For what it is worth, visual novel fans will get a sequel out of this, as the sequel to Alternative is being made and slated for release after the anime.
Oct 16, 2021 6:44 PM
Feb 2015
Tentaclehusbando said:
_Nette_ said:

Bad in the sense that it's an abridged adaptation. There are several fundamental problems with the adaptation, it all boils down to money, but the key is trying to adapt a trilogy into a 1-2 cour anime format.

If you don't already know, Muv-Luv is an story about the protagonist living though different timelines, while retaining his memories. Alternative (what's being adapted) is part 3 of the trilogy, the endgame or the final run. They didn't/couldn't adapt the first and second part which takes away a lot of the impact. Only doing Alternative is like a perfect no death speedrun of "Re:Zero" or "All you need is kill (edge of tomorrow)".

Then there's also the issue where fans want this to be like reliving the experience of the visual novels. This is folly but understandable due to their emotional investment. However, due to a number of financial investments, they cannot get things to be the way it was, not just with the prior mentioned problem with episode count, but the character designs and the music. Avex, the biggest player in all of this, wanted to keep a lot of the production within the family. Tencent is also part of this. You can imagine how these factors will affect the production, not just creatively but also politically.

Personally, I think it's too late to complain about this. The anime isn't just for the fans, a big reason behind the anime adaption, most anime adaption in fact, is to grow the franchise. For what it is worth, visual novel fans will get a sequel out of this, as the sequel to Alternative is being made and slated for release after the anime.

Actually it's more to Project Mikhail and Project Immortal for this round. Probably they'll adapt half way and keep the rest for Integrate's promotion.
Age will be having an event next week. Probably they'll reveal their upcoming works there.
Oct 16, 2021 9:21 PM

Oct 2011
As long as it doesn't turn out like Tsukihime...

I bet they'll probably traumatize us on the October 31st with a certain ...girl... just to make us feel even worse with this adaptation.
Dec 22, 2021 3:20 PM

Jul 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen, we’ve gott’em.

Shitty adaptation from an announcement that no one asked for.

This is now rated lower than Yosuga no Sora, Grisaia season 1, and rewrite; which is regarded as some of the infamous “sus” adaptations if you will. I’d be impressed if it made to school days vote rating.
Dec 22, 2021 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
Please show me on the doll where the anime touched you.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 22, 2021 3:38 PM

Jul 2014
Cabron said:
Please show me on the doll where the anime touched you.

Yes officer, that man was driving the white van!
Dec 22, 2021 3:40 PM
Jan 2019
Not only is there a Muv-Luv Alternative anime, there will be a second season as well! :)
Dec 22, 2021 3:41 PM

Jul 2014
Incognimous said:
Not only is there a Muv-Luv Alternative anime, there will be a second season as well! :)

Perfect, another season to express my disappointment on >;)
Dec 22, 2021 5:19 PM
Jan 2018
_Nette_ said:

Doesn't start from the beginning, terribly uneven pacing, doesn't provide context despite literally only adapting the ending of a trilogy, looks terrible, sounds poor and just generally has no care for what it's adapting at all. It's pretty bad.
Dec 22, 2021 5:22 PM
Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
Incognimous said:

Perfect, another season to express my disappointment on >;)

Base on your reaction now, even if the next season is adapted properly, you would still complain it.
Then again, i also understand why you think it won't be good. The only stopping point next season is Sado. They'll have a lot of content to compress again.

Next season would most likely start with XM3, since the equation is already with Yuuko. I'm curious to see how they'll link it after skipping contents again.
Dec 22, 2021 5:26 PM

Jul 2016
It wasn't what I wanted, but it wasn't necessarily horrible... it just wasn't good. I'd feel differently if it was a 2-cour show, but they only had 12 episodes, and they didn't do anything with them. We all thought the story would be rushed, and I was prepared for that, but somehow not rushing it was even worse.

For all the awesome and dramatic moments the VN had, the show ended before it got to anything good, and there's no guarantee that we'll get more. The story was about humanity's almost hopeless struggle against alien invaders, but the only time we actually saw them fight the BETA was in the first episode, and it never really progressed from there.
Dec 22, 2021 5:31 PM
Feb 2015
seeker_moc said:
It wasn't what I wanted, but it wasn't necessarily horrible... it just wasn't good. I'd feel differently if it was a 2-cour show, but they only had 12 episodes, and they didn't do anything with them. We all thought the story would be rushed, and I was prepared for that, but somehow not rushing it was even worse.

For all the awesome and dramatic moments the VN had, the show ended before it got to anything good, and there's no guarantee that we'll get more. The story was about humanity's almost hopeless struggle against alien invaders, but the only time we actually saw them fight the BETA was in the first episode, and it never really progressed from there.

That's why there's a season 2, more like Episode 1 was setup with the intent of going into Season 2 from the start.
Dec 22, 2021 5:35 PM

Jul 2016
ixarising said:

That's why there's a season 2, more like Episode 1 was setup with the intent of going into Season 2 from the start.

Thanks, I missed that announcement somewhere. Any indication of when it will start airing?
Dec 22, 2021 5:48 PM

Aug 2016
there is and you have ot live with it. theres nothing wrong about accepting the anime industry f*cks up things on a regular basis.
:v
Dec 22, 2021 6:25 PM

Jan 2008
seeker_moc said:
ixarising said:

Thanks, I missed that announcement somewhere. Any indication of when it will start airing?

October 2022 is the date.
Dec 22, 2021 6:40 PM

Jan 2008
_Nette_ said:

To the delusional western dweebs, yes. To the Japanese audience and some newcomer, they enjoyed the anime and said it's pretty good.
Dec 22, 2021 7:10 PM

Jul 2014
MichaelJackson said:
there is and you have ot live with it. theres nothing wrong about accepting the anime industry f*cks up things on a regular basis.

To quote from a reviewer that deleted their review, "it was hopium", but now I'm adding that it's copium at this point.

lmao mal hitting this one hard XD
Dec 30, 2021 7:42 AM

Oct 2008
It exists but no one wanted to see it as it currently is.
Jan 17, 2022 5:52 AM

Jun 2015
Dude why people are angry when the title is very clearly Alternative, meaning they skip the Unlimited loop. Yeah the format of the novel is really one big continuing story rather than a trilogy.

Like what makes Alternative a legend is not just because of Alternative as a stand alone title, but 3 stages the VN went through. Getting to love the chara(extra), feeling of despair(Unlimited), and hope at the end of the tunnel(Alternative).

So a stand alone adaptation isn't going to give the best experience since you're missing that 3 stages.
Jan 27, 2022 2:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
_Nette_ said:

Much better than some fans, that were buthurted because a lot of early content was skipped, want you to think it is.

I dunno what people are watching to classify this has bad, way above the average trashy stuff you get from most airings.

Any MLA fans should drop their preconceptions, and just give this a watch, without guiding themselves by what it is being said on these forums.

Funny enough, even in this state, S1 so far was is far more enjoyable than Scharws or MLA TE where for me.

SofiaBulga said:

Yes, but at the same time, this is better than nothing, and if we really get 2 more seasons, I think the staff can pull of a decent adaptation that will please most people, since the pacing should be slower from now on, and this staff showed they can handle the drama and action when they need to.
Jan 27, 2022 10:00 PM

Oct 2008
Playcool said:
_Nette_ said:

Much better than some fans, that were buthurted because a lot of early content was skipped, want you to think it is.

I dunno what people are watching to classify this has bad, way above the average trashy stuff you get from most airings.

Any MLA fans should drop their preconceptions, and just give this a watch, without guiding themselves by what it is being said on these forums.

Funny enough, even in this state, S1 so far was is far more enjoyable than Scharws or MLA TE where for me.

SofiaBulga said:

Yes, but at the same time, this is better than nothing.

I mean "nothing" is a bit of a stretch. We did get Alternative Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. Who were quite frankly better in every possible way.
Jan 28, 2022 3:44 AM

Jul 2014
Playcool said:
_Nette_ said:

SofiaBulga said:

Yes, but at the same time, this is better than nothing, and if we really get 2 more seasons, I think the staff can pull of a decent adaptation that will please most people, since the pacing should be slower from now on, and this staff showed they can handle the drama and action when they need to.

Production quality issues aside, You’re really telling people that skipping to a third season is ok? Let’s just throw out all character development out the window. Hell, not adapting this would have been a better option.
Jan 28, 2022 4:25 AM
Jan 2019
SofiaBulga said:
I mean "nothing" is a bit of a stretch. We did get Alternative Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. Who were quite frankly better in every possible way.

Matter of taste I guess, even with all the undeniable flaws, I thought this was significantly better than the the snorefest that is Total Eclipse
Jan 29, 2022 10:50 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
SofiaBulga said:
Playcool said:

Yes, but at the same time, this is better than nothing.

That is soo wrong, TE and Schwar where not as good, the best thing about Schwar against the other two, is that you can like get a feeling of conclusion from watching it.
The best scene to me was at the end of episode 10, as for TE, the best was the very start, agaisnt that, this season of MLA was already better.
The direction is better, they actually use a decent soundtrack that makes good in setting the mood, and the action was tons better here, solely these points are already more than enough for me to like S1 of MLA more.
And also, I like Takeru way more than any of the other protagonists, so right there, I m more into watching it, rather watching characters I dont care for, like Yui was the sole character from TE that I actually gave a shit about.

Incognimous said:
SofiaBulga said:

Matter of taste I guess, even with all the undeniable flaws, I thought this was significantly better than the the snorefest that is Total Eclipse

Thank you.
TE definitly had a strong start, but then there is just too much content that feels like filler, it totally loses the MLA identity as it progresses, after such a promising start.

OppaiSugoi said:
Playcool said:

Production quality issues aside, You’re really telling people that skipping to a third season is ok? Let’s just throw out all character development out the window. Hell, not adapting this would have been a better option.

TBH, as a fan of the VNs, I think we can agree that if they choose to adapt Extra and Unlimited, a lot of anime onlies that have followed the anime adaptations, would have dropped the adaptations way before they reach Alternative, dont deny it, we know the real shit only starts with Alternative.
Unlimited is essential IMO to set the right mood for Alternative, but Extra, you only really start to value it as Alternative progresses... I dunno if you have read the interviews, but they clearly stated this anime adaptation was done with the anime onlies in mind.

I dont think what S1 did was for the best, but way less people would have seen it, if they had to go through Extra and Unlimited, after having seen so much of the BETAs already with TE and Scharw, so I think that is part of the reason they decided to skip both of them.
All I have to say is that people that want to get the most out of this anime adaptation, to go read both manga adaptations for Extra and Unlimited, if they are not up to read the VN, I can attest that they at least do a decent job to prepare for Alternative, and they are MUCH shorter than MLA manga adaptation itself (14-16 volumes ?!), like I think Unlimited's was only 4 volumes, but managed to get most story across just fine.
PlaycoolJan 29, 2022 11:00 AM
Jan 29, 2022 8:07 PM

Jul 2014
Playcool said:

OppaiSugoi said:

TBH, as a fan of the VNs, I think we can agree that if they choose to adapt Extra and Unlimited, a lot of anime onlies that have followed the anime adaptations, would have dropped the adaptations way before they reach Alternative, dont deny it, we know the real shit only starts with Alternative.
Unlimited is essential IMO to set the right mood for Alternative, but Extra, you only really start to value it as Alternative progresses... I dunno if you have read the interviews, but they clearly stated this anime adaptation was done with the anime onlies in mind.

I dont think what S1 did was for the best, but way less people would have seen it, if they had to go through Extra and Unlimited, after having seen so much of the BETAs already with TE and Scharw, so I think that is part of the reason they decided to skip both of them.
All I have to say is that people that want to get the most out of this anime adaptation, to go read both manga adaptations for Extra and Unlimited, if they are not up to read the VN, I can attest that they at least do a decent job to prepare for Alternative, and they are MUCH shorter than MLA manga adaptation itself (14-16 volumes ?!), like I think Unlimited's was only 4 volumes, but managed to get most story across just fine.

In that case, the logic of having this easily digestible for anime onlies is flawed from the get go, now they have to read the MANGA to get whats going on now?
OppaiSugoiJan 29, 2022 8:15 PM
Jan 31, 2022 6:15 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
Playcool said:

In that case, the logic of having this easily digestible for anime onlies is flawed from the get go, now they have to read the MANGA to get whats going on now?

In whatever step the producers would take, they would shoot themselves in the foot, but certainly having to read the manga to get the best impressions, it is not ideal either.
If I was in charge and had the money, I would have told them, that they should at least make an 24 episodes anime, that would cover Extra and Unlimited, even if rushing, that would be a solution, maybe fewer anime onlies would have seen MLA S1 this way, but changes are, there would be a bigger acceptance of Takeru in MLA.

Unlimited had some really enjoyable scenes, that at least I was able to see on the manga, but shame it never got a proper adaptation, it was a really good read overall, it would have been decently accepted if people would know from the start the BETA were not going to show up.
Feb 1, 2022 1:45 PM

Jul 2014
Playcool said:
OppaiSugoi said:

In whatever step the producers would take, they would shoot themselves in the foot, but certainly having to read the manga to get the best impressions, it is not ideal either.
If I was in charge and had the money, I would have told them, that they should at least make an 24 episodes anime, that would cover Extra and Unlimited, even if rushing, that would be a solution, maybe fewer anime onlies would have seen MLA S1 this way, but changes are, there would be a bigger acceptance of Takeru in MLA.

Unlimited had some really enjoyable scenes, that at least I was able to see on the manga, but shame it never got a proper adaptation, it was a really good read overall, it would have been decently accepted if people would know from the start the BETA were not going to show up.

This I can agree with, give us some proper introduction to the franchise and the characters. Hell, we had to go through it when reading the VN's. I was on the camp that I didn't mind Extra and Unlimited.
Feb 13, 2022 2:02 AM
May 2013
Unironically 2 different times I was like "I can't wait to see MLA adaptation", which it wouldn't be bad you know, but that happened after I've seen it. So yeah, there is no MLA anime.
Mar 1, 2022 8:54 AM

Oct 2015
I agree that nothing would have been better but only for the reason that a lot of people will watch this, probably think it's bad or mediocre, and think well I've seen MLA, I know the story and everything that happens, so there's no reason to play the VN, right?
one of my friends watched both this and the Umineko anime and will probably never play the VNs now, and I'm sad that they've missed out on two great VNs because I guess they thought it'd be much quicker watching the two-cour adaptation even if it's worse.
Mar 9, 2022 8:21 PM

Feb 2016
Memor said:
well I've seen MLA, I know the story and everything that happens, so there's no reason to play the VN, right?

Nobody will say that, because this anime constantly acknowledges things that are skipped over. It never pretends to be a complete adaptation.
The same goes for Umineko Chiru, which doesn't even have an anime. Nobody who watches Deen's anime will think they know Beatrice's backstory.
LucifrostMar 9, 2022 8:25 PM
その目だれの目?
Mar 10, 2022 1:15 AM

Oct 2015
Lucifrost said:
Memor said:
well I've seen MLA, I know the story and everything that happens, so there's no reason to play the VN, right?

Nobody will say that, because this anime constantly acknowledges things that are skipped over. It never pretends to be a complete adaptation.
The same goes for Umineko Chiru, which doesn't even have an anime. Nobody who watches Deen's anime will think they know Beatrice's backstory.

Maybe some people but I think it's just as likely they will stop after this anime. Imagine watching the sequel to something first, for many people it's hard to go back to the original after you already know a lot of what happens after. That goes double if they didn't enjoy it, and triple if it's a super long VN.
Mar 10, 2022 9:13 AM

Feb 2016
Memor said:
Imagine watching the sequel to something first, for many people it's hard to go back to the original after you already know a lot of what happens after.

That certainly explains the failures of Kizumonogatari and Fate/Zero. How could Nisioisin and Urobuchi have possibly thought fans of Bakemonogatari and Fate/Stay Night would be interested in that kind of backstory?
その目だれの目?
Mar 10, 2022 9:29 AM

Oct 2015
Lucifrost said:
Memor said:
Imagine watching the sequel to something first, for many people it's hard to go back to the original after you already know a lot of what happens after.

That certainly explains the failures of Kizumonogatari and Fate/Zero. How could Nisioisin and Urobuchi have possibly thought fans of Bakemonogatari and Fate/Stay Night would be interested in that kind of backstory?

They are intended to be watched after previous entries and are not required in order to watch anything else, in our case they have just skipped half the story. I see where you're coming from but I don't think it's the same situation. Also, those are anime and are far more accessible than a VN.
Mar 10, 2022 9:45 AM

Feb 2016
@Memor
Anyone skipping your favorite visual novel in favor of a rushed adaptation is someone who would never have played that visual novel in the first place. People have better things to do with their lives.
その目だれの目?
Mar 10, 2022 11:44 AM

Oct 2015
Lucifrost said:
@Memor
Anyone skipping your favorite visual novel in favor of a rushed adaptation is someone who would never have played that visual novel in the first place. People have better things to do with their lives.

yes, that's probably right. but that doesn't apply to everyone, and not everyone knows it is a bad adaptation.
Apr 7, 2022 9:01 AM

Sep 2018
OppaiSugoi said:
Playcool said:

Agreed. Alternative could only be that good because all of its world building and most character introductions happened in the games before it. All of the filler too. A good portion of Takeru's character development.

Which allowed them to make Alternative great from start to finish. But without all that lead up to there, all that background and context..

Seeing all the other changes made I'm thankful I was warned of the adaptation being this poor quality ahead of time. Saved me having to watch it first.
planetwarrior said:
_Nette_ said:

To the delusional western dweebs, yes. To the Japanese audience and some newcomer, they enjoyed the anime and said it's pretty good.

I recall some saying this about Zestiria (the game) when it was released. Turns out it was just one person astroturfing hard in an attempt to shift perception of that game.

Doubt an anime like this would do well over there when we also had something stellar like Attack on Titan at the same. (which shares a lot of similarities)
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Apr 7, 2022 11:44 AM
Jan 2019
Elinchayiel said:

Doubt an anime like this would do well over there when we also had something stellar like Attack on Titan at the same. (which shares a lot of similarities)

Depends on what "doing well" means. The Blu Rays sold relatively well (about 1350 or so for the first volume and about 1700 - or so I've heard - for the second one). Not stellar, but respectable considering how much Blu Ray sales have gone down in general.
For streaming it's hard to say as Fuji TV as far as I know does not release any figures for FOD, which was the main service the show ran on. It's probably safe to say though that it did a lot better in Japan thanit did in the west.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» Do I have to watch the parent story?

Kappejoj - Sep 22, 2021

21 by Animaniaig »»
Oct 6, 2022 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.