Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 1, 2021 10:30 PM

Jul 2016
Oh yes... back to the uneventful life of being an introvert high-school boy. Anyways, at least Nozomi is alive in this new world. Her dating shithead Asakaze feels like a punch in the gut tho.
But well, at least Yamabiko and Kodama seem to be together in this world so I will take that.

Personally, I'm quite glad this boring journey is finally over. Leaving psychedelic visuals and Raj's character aside, I found Sonny Boy to be extremely uninteresting and tedious to some extent. Narrative felt unnecessarily ambitious with lots of exposition and story-lines that served no purpose to the main plot, most of the episodes felt like they were 40 minutes long and not gonna lie, I lowkey hated almost all the characters here.

3/10 - Easily, the weirdest and most trippy coming-of-age story I have seen in quite some time.
Oct 1, 2021 10:54 PM

Sep 2020
So finally this comes to an end. Even after completing this entire show I don't know what really happened.

The last episode was easily the best episode of this series the insert songs and the animation was really impressive.

I have a mix feeling about this series as a whole. Anyway as of now I will give it 7/10 .
ZXEANOct 2, 2021 1:39 AM
Oct 1, 2021 10:56 PM
Nov 2020
ULTRA-H said:
escapism... bad!

Erased did me so bad now that I remember 😂
Oct 1, 2021 10:56 PM
Sep 2018
I love the ending of Yamabiko and Kodama.. but it feel hurts when Nozomi end up with Asakaze
Oct 1, 2021 11:24 PM
May 2013
ngl pretty underwhelmed by this ending. I feel like Nagara did not grow as a character at all. How you can go through all that and still be such a pushover? Nothing changed. what was the point?
Oct 2, 2021 12:04 AM

Dec 2020
eh? eh? ?? what? WWWWWWHAT?????????? yk what im not even gonna Try to understand anything i feel like it'll be bad bc the conclusion ive come to now isn't really Happy. ill just wait until this anime randomly blows up and a bunch of people will analyze it and a lot of theory / explained videos would be up in youtube

BUT! ANYWAYS!!! what a great anime. really. lots of Too confusing parts but still i think that this was really nice, i quite like the bitter sweet "open" / unfinished ending. still felt like they unnecessarily overcomplicated things during the middle to the end but eh, i still enjoyed it
Oct 2, 2021 1:24 AM

Dec 2016
This was phenomenal. Even though this was just 12 episodes long, it felt longer, it felt like many years has passed. And I really love how this show made me feel this homesick and kinda nostalgic feeling in just 12 episodes.

It was so unique and complex but emotionally so realistic that at some point it made me feel like I belonged there. I'm quite shallow when it comes to explaining my thoughts with words so all I can say is that their complex portrayal of life and death were beautiful.

It was a short yet long ride of puzzles which made me think a lot and it was fun to bring all those jumbled pieces together and come to my own conclusion.

All the songs that were used in this episode were beautiful and went really well with the emotions of the characters.

This was kinda similar to Wonder Egg Priority and Id:Invaded but Sonny Boy definitely turned out to be more unique and better than those. The psychological abstractness of it made the simple animation more aesthetically pleasing.

Overall 10/10
Oct 2, 2021 1:55 AM

Jul 2020
ngl i really enjoyed this series.
Oct 2, 2021 2:15 AM
May 2019
the first and last episodes of this show were so great it's sad some of the episodes in the middle for me was a bit hit or miss. the music in this last episode really made it.

this show just like tokyo sinks even tho neither of them were the best shows still feel like some of the few shows I will one day rewatch. it's a special kind of feeling getting to finish a show I though was kinda meh and then realizing how much it has been making me feel during the last episode. A sorta melancholy
Oct 2, 2021 3:50 AM

Jul 2016
modboy said:
Incredible episode with cool visuals and amazing music. I really felt this one. Great way to end the season. I'll be thinking about this for awhile...

The music was amazing.

Not quite the ending I wanted but fit the rest of the story and themes.
Oct 2, 2021 5:36 AM
Feb 2021
Damn the music used in this episode was so good.
Oct 2, 2021 6:19 AM

Jun 2016
What an amazing piece of art. I loved this thing from beggining to end.

Seriously, it is probably the best art direction in any anime I have ever seen. Right there with Kimi no Nawa and Mononoke. I loved every piece of art choices and direction the staff wandered and adventured to.

It's a very simple show at the end, though. It doesn't try to deliver any grand message or any point really. It's just a journey through the lives of a group of teenagers, that's that.

Simple, melancholic and very bizarre. It's an easy-going show and pobably a new comfort show for me.

Would definitively recommend to anyone who likes art and/or is studying art.
Oct 2, 2021 8:37 AM
Mar 2018
Coming of age. Truly an important genre of fiction, because it's such a core part of being a social creature. I've seen countless variations on the bittersweetness of growing up and leaving childhood behind, and many of them are truly masterpieces. I count this one among them, but it's also special all on its own.

Generally the theme is approached from the perspective of a boy or a girl at the dawn of adulthood, in that fickle moment in one's life when we must decide who we are and how we will live. This is no different. What is different is that while most stories focus on how it feels like to go through the process, this one focuses on what it actually means to grow up in modern society. The necessary unfairness of capitalism, the temptation of self-isolation, the difficulty of staying true to yourself, the bleakness of realising everything's arbitrary, the inevitability of death... All the topics we go through every episode are metaphors about aspects of adult society, and even if they are all part of a reality we (think we) know so well, it's one thing to know what adult reality looks like, and it's another to understand why and what the implications are to ourselves as individuals.

I've been an adult for nearly a decade now, and even now I'm still coming to terms with it. Every time I accept something I have to do, or that I cannot do, I feel like a part of myself dies. If I'd come to embrace this future from an early age, and made it a part of me, I feel like growing up wouldn't have been so painful.

So I think it's truly important that animes like Sonny Boy exist, as they provide a boon to teenagers and young adults to help smooth their ride. Acceptance is hard, especially when one is used to fantasising about escaping to alternate realities. But avoiding it only brings pain. We cannot change the world, not truly, and so we must find a place in it for ourselves. No matter how small, we have to claim it as our own. Drifting forever in-between possibilities, never sticking to any future in particular, is definitely the worst thing we can do. It will only bring loneliness. Because if we don't move on, life will.
Oct 2, 2021 8:52 AM
Mar 2018
A PS on the ending specifically: I'm really glad they avoided any sort of climatic battle or any such shonen cliche. That's not how things play out in real life, important transitions are often low key and don't feel like anything in particular.

A single moment can change your life forever, but it can't change you. For someone to change, it takes time and effort.

When one hits 18 they become an adult legally, but to become an adult at heart, it often takes years more - and some never get there.
Oct 2, 2021 9:04 AM
Aug 2017
the_assasins said:
holy shit. definitely the most fitting ending to this series.

i have a feeling this ending answer many question, yet i didn't seems to find it on my first watch. maybe i'll watch this episode multiple times sometimes later.

but anyway, this ending is definitely 10/10. while the series can be better imo, this ending definitely amazing from start to finish. from the usage of musage from mitsume, and toe, and ended with impactful acoustic ver. of shounen shoujo by gingnang boyz. this episode is amazing.

here what i able to grasp from this episode. the episode start after nagara successfully able to go home to their real world. but is this world, their original world ? short answer, NO. this world is a new world created by nagara and mizuho using nagara power and nozomi compas. that's why in this world nozomi is alive where she should've been dead in the original world.
anyway, after coming back, nagara seems able to live his life just like he used to before he's been drifting. which is kinda of sad to be honest. he tried to talk with mizuho, but somehow mizuho tried to avoiding nagara. but then later, after confirming the things have gotten to normal after checking the school, mizuho then later try to talk with nagara. they both talk in the park questioning wether nagara choice to cameback is the right choice or not, which then nagara insist that he's choosing the right choice. but this isn't really well reflected to what happened to both nagara and mizuho. both of them seems like back to the life of depression and boredom like they used to have before they go back to the drifting world. so, did nagara really choose the right answer ?
after talking, they then go back to their own each other place. but before going back, mizuho try to cheer nagara telling him that "he'll be fine". that word seems like able to cheer nagara. after that scene, we then see mizuho hanging out with her friends. this mizuho is definitely not the original mizuho, but somehow it's shown that she's looking at the sky indicating maybe she's stille see the white light in the sky, just like she used to see on the island. then we see nagara arriving to the station from train. he then tried to help the bird that he hear from the other day, but when he check it, the bird is actually already gone. it turns out that nozomi already help her. nagara and nozomi then proceed to have a chat a little. nozomi offer nagara to adopt the bird, unfortunately nagara can't keep pet on his apartment. nozomi then notice that nagara from the same school as him. but before anything goes further, asakaze then appeared and call nozomi. seems like nozomi and asakaze in this world is really close. possible both of them have already in realitionship. nagara then stare nozomi while she's talking with asakaze, after looking at her for awhile, finally he's understand. she's maybe not the nozomi that he know, but she is definitely the real nozomi. after that nagara then walk away then the credit role.

the message that this episode try to convey is that, sometimes when making choice, things may not go as smooth as we want (reflect by after nagara and nozomi making choice to comeback, they just go back to their depressing world). but that's what reality is. we just have to move on, and endure our life. definitely a bitter message, but somehow i really like it.

there's a little bit theory that i have regarding mizuho.
regarding mizuho, i think she has some secret that we don't know yet. while she's at school i don't really know the reason why she check the school drifting part like the curtain, and the toilet. the film frame her at that part as a very mysterious and kind of malicious person. i like to think that she's maybe the reason of why the drifting happened. tho i don't have a good solid evidence to back it up. it's just an absurd theory that i have tho.

and one last thing there's a mysterious character in this episode that i think only appear in this episode, yet somehow i think have a big participation to the mystery of the series. that character is women with yellow ponytail. she first appear on the scene where nagara is doing his job. i thought she's just a nobody. but then she appear in a very brief moment in the scene where nagara tried to leapt through dimension after talking with the old geezer god. she may have a very big role. yet i seems can't remember wether she's already appeared before this episode or not.

overally i absolutely love this ending. a 9/10 ending for me. but this series is definitely 1n 8/10 even though this is one of my most favorite anime i've ever watched this year.

this is the scene where nagara is doing his job. after kicking the trash, she then appeared.

this scene happened where nagara and mizuho try to leave the dimension. this scene happened after we see old geezer god on his wheelchair (indicating the possibility that both of them somehow have a connection)

from u/BV-RE2PECT on reddit
"Now I may not understand everything I saw in the 12 episodes of this show…but if there is only one thing I am confident in, it’s that this blonde haired girl is somehow related to the compass that Nagara brought from the Other World’s.

Nagara’s power allowed him to mess with the “probability” and go to other worlds at random. But with Nozomi’s power (compass) he was guided to a world where she was still alive. However, he also had a copy of the compass with him at the same time.

It is this compass (the copy compass) that God is referring to in the line “How are you going to take that back with you?” And it shows the image of the girl in the picture above.

4 things went to the “new world” that Nagara chose. That would be …Himself, Mizuho, the compass, and the copy compass. I believe that the original compass was essentially exchanged/sacrificed/ used up to get to a world with a living Nozomi.

But this copy compass which Nagara still has in his possession shouldn’t be (or mustn’t be) in existence. But because it is, it’s manifesting itself in a weird way (via the girl) because a living Nozomi already exists and so it can’t create another.

This girl (imo) is either a whole new existence brought into the new world that has some connection to the Nozomi that went adrift. Or she is a pretty-existing person that has connection to the Nozomi that when adrift (maybe she got the missing memories? Who know… but one could hope.)"
axitsunfuricOct 2, 2021 11:20 PM
Oct 2, 2021 10:59 AM
Oct 2021
I got a feeling Asakaze killed everyone, except for Rajdhani, cuz now he's become death or the one who has the power to wield it, just as how Hoshi showed him in the first episode.
Oct 2, 2021 5:24 PM

Oct 2015
The life is not easy. Great anime.
Mizuho is the best girl btw
Oct 2, 2021 8:03 PM
Aug 2015
axitsunfuric said:
the_assasins said:

i have a feeling this ending answer many question, yet i didn't seems to find it on my first watch. maybe i'll watch this episode multiple times sometimes later.

but anyway, this ending is definitely 10/10. while the series can be better imo, this ending definitely amazing from start to finish. from the usage of musage from mitsume, and toe, and ended with impactful acoustic ver. of shounen shoujo by gingnang boyz. this episode is amazing.

here what i able to grasp from this episode. the episode start after nagara successfully able to go home to their real world. but is this world, their original world ? short answer, NO. this world is a new world created by nagara and mizuho using nagara power and nozomi compas. that's why in this world nozomi is alive where she should've been dead in the original world.
anyway, after coming back, nagara seems able to live his life just like he used to before he's been drifting. which is kinda of sad to be honest. he tried to talk with mizuho, but somehow mizuho tried to avoiding nagara. but then later, after confirming the things have gotten to normal after checking the school, mizuho then later try to talk with nagara. they both talk in the park questioning wether nagara choice to cameback is the right choice or not, which then nagara insist that he's choosing the right choice. but this isn't really well reflected to what happened to both nagara and mizuho. both of them seems like back to the life of depression and boredom like they used to have before they go back to the drifting world. so, did nagara really choose the right answer ?
after talking, they then go back to their own each other place. but before going back, mizuho try to cheer nagara telling him that "he'll be fine". that word seems like able to cheer nagara. after that scene, we then see mizuho hanging out with her friends. this mizuho is definitely not the original mizuho, but somehow it's shown that she's looking at the sky indicating maybe she's stille see the white light in the sky, just like she used to see on the island. then we see nagara arriving to the station from train. he then tried to help the bird that he hear from the other day, but when he check it, the bird is actually already gone. it turns out that nozomi already help her. nagara and nozomi then proceed to have a chat a little. nozomi offer nagara to adopt the bird, unfortunately nagara can't keep pet on his apartment. nozomi then notice that nagara from the same school as him. but before anything goes further, asakaze then appeared and call nozomi. seems like nozomi and asakaze in this world is really close. possible both of them have already in realitionship. nagara then stare nozomi while she's talking with asakaze, after looking at her for awhile, finally he's understand. she's maybe not the nozomi that he know, but she is definitely the real nozomi. after that nagara then walk away then the credit role.

the message that this episode try to convey is that, sometimes when making choice, things may not go as smooth as we want (reflect by after nagara and nozomi making choice to comeback, they just go back to their depressing world). but that's what reality is. we just have to move on, and endure our life. definitely a bitter message, but somehow i really like it.

regarding mizuho, i think she has some secret that we don't know yet. while she's at school i don't really know the reason why she check the school drifting part like the curtain, and the toilet. the film frame her at that part as a very mysterious and kind of malicious person. i like to think that she's maybe the reason of why the drifting happened. tho i don't have a good solid evidence to back it up. it's just an absurd theory that i have tho.

and one last thing there's a mysterious character in this episode that i think only appear in this episode, yet somehow i think have a big participation to the mystery of the series. that character is women with yellow ponytail. she first appear on the scene where nagara is doing his job. i thought she's just a nobody. but then she appear in a very brief moment in the scene where nagara tried to leapt through dimension after talking with the old geezer god. she may have a very big role. yet i seems can't remember wether she's already appeared before this episode or not.

overally i absolutely love this ending. a 9/10 ending for me. but this series is definitely 1n 8/10 even though this is one of my most favorite anime i've ever watched this year.

this is the scene where nagara is doing his job. after kicking the trash, she then appeared.

this scene happened where nagara and mizuho try to leave the dimension. this scene happened after we see old geezer god on his wheelchair (indicating the possibility that both of them somehow have a connection)

from u/BV-RE2PECT in reddit
"Now I may not understand everything I saw in the 12 episodes of this show…but if there is only one thing I am confident in, it’s that this blonde haired girl is somehow related to the compass that Nagara brought from the Other World’s.

Nagara’s power allowed him to mess with the “probability” and go to other worlds at random. But with Nozomi’s power (compass) he was guided to a world where she was still alive. However, he also had a copy of the compass with him at the same time.

It is this compass (the copy compass) that God is referring to in the line “How are you going to take that back with you?” And it shows the image of the girl in the picture above.

4 things went to the “new world” that Nagara chose. That would be …Himself, Mizuho, the compass, and the copy compass. I believe that the original compass was essentially exchanged/sacrificed/ used up to get to a world with a living Nozomi.

But this copy compass which Nagara still has in his possession shouldn’t be (or mustn’t be) in existence. But because it is, it’s manifesting itself in a weird way (via the girl) because a living Nozomi already exists and so it can’t create another.

This girl (imo) is either a whole new existence brought into the new world that has some connection to the Nozomi that went adrift. Or she is a pretty-existing person that has connection to the Nozomi that when adrift (maybe she got the missing memories? Who know… but one could hope.)"

holy shit. that might've been make sense. i totally can see her as some reincarnation of the compass. thanks for pointing that out
Oct 3, 2021 12:15 AM

Jan 2020
I was rather disappointed we never had an opening for this series, but I really appreciate the acoustic cover of the theme at the end of this episode. So, I guess that kinda makes up for no OP. Acoustic for the win.

I got a little faked out by the opening sequence with Mizuho denying her knowledge of Nagara. I thought he ended up coming to a world where everyone was alive, but no one but him was aware of anything that transpired. So, I thought it was going to have a lot more of an isolation route. But, they quickly denounced that and gave us a little more of an open-ended ending.

Really interesting show, I think this would be worth marking for a rewatch at some point.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 3, 2021 1:04 AM

Apr 2019
Damn, that was a pretty bitter-sweet finale. The ost really solidified the mood for this episode, especially with the ED being done acoustically.

Really liked this series. Looked amazing, sounded amazing, story was interesting but was paced oddly. So overall, pretty enjoyable series.
Oct 3, 2021 3:56 AM

Aug 2018
Mizuho is best girl. That is all.

Anyways, I'll admit I did not like this anime in the beginning because I tried to make too much sense of it, and grasp at straws as to what direction the story would head with what exactly was going on. As the episodes progressed, however, I slowly but surely began to appreciate the intricacy of the characters and the interestingly curious dynamic they had with one another and the world around them.

This feels to me like an anime that you certainly would appreciate more, and see in a new light with repeated viewings. That's not something many anime can accomplish, so if anything you gotta give it props there.

If I had to give this a score, I would have to settle for a 7.5 out of 10. It's not something that should be recommended to everyone for the very reason that it is abstract in nature. Viewers shouldn't go in expecting this to be the next masterpiece in the making, and make a mistake such as mine from the first few episodes. Enjoy it for what it is. Don't overthink it, and take it at your own pace.
Oct 3, 2021 4:49 AM

Feb 2019
Damn what an amazing ending to an amazing series, anime studios neeeed to make more shows like this.

10/10, gonna rewatch soon.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Oct 3, 2021 5:34 AM

Aug 2018
This or Odd Taxi is my AOTY so far, leaning towards this though
_______I like rocks__
Oct 3, 2021 10:31 AM
Jul 2021
Why didn't Nagara fulfill the promise he made with Nozomi.
Oct 3, 2021 11:00 AM

Feb 2019
The ending was satisfying, I guess. It made me a little bit melancholic. After so much chaos, there comes a moment of peace.
Now, listening to the original soundtrack, I couldn't find at all the song that played at ~19:30. Does anybody know its name? I guess it might be the acoustic version of a song, but I don't know which one... I just know I fell in love with it.
Oh, God - the lives people try to lead. Oh, God - what a world they try to lead them in!

Oct 3, 2021 6:34 PM

Mar 2021
Uneasy. This is the word I would use to describe my feelings after watching this anime. It was good, but a little boring. I was confused through a lot of it but having read other people's comments, I understand it better; I was left satisfied by the ending; but still, feeling extremely uneasy.

I really don't know why I feel so uncomfortable with this show. They go adrift and weirdness ensues. At first, everyone wants to go home but in the end, only Nagara and Mizuho make it back? Make it to a different version of their world? I really don't know lol. Why did nobody else want to go back? Some people had their reasons.

Nozomi, the one they know, dies and it isn't that big of a deal, they're sad but just kind of detached. Why was Asakaze unable to save her? How could they go back after such a surreal experience without everyone else they experienced it with? I don't even thing there is any definitive answers to these questions.

I feel melancholy in addition to the uneasiness. I've never felt so uneasy before and I can't even point out the exact reason. While my personal enjoyment of this show was maybe a 6 or 7, I think I will give it an 8 for the unique feeling it made me feel as well as the relatively unique concepts. I may revisit this anime when I am older and able to better understand what it tries to convey.
Oct 3, 2021 11:56 PM
Aug 2017
Zant-sama said:
Uneasy. This is the word I would use to describe my feelings after watching this anime. It was good, but a little boring. I was confused through a lot of it but having read other people's comments, I understand it better; I was left satisfied by the ending; but still, feeling extremely uneasy.

I really don't know why I feel so uncomfortable with this show. They go adrift and weirdness ensues. At first, everyone wants to go home but in the end, only Nagara and Mizuho make it back? Make it to a different version of their world? I really don't know lol. Why did nobody else want to go back? Some people had their reasons.

Nozomi, the one they know, dies and it isn't that big of a deal, they're sad but just kind of detached. Why was Asakaze unable to save her? How could they go back after such a surreal experience without everyone else they experienced it with? I don't even thing there is any definitive answers to these questions.

I feel melancholy in addition to the uneasiness. I've never felt so uneasy before and I can't even point out the exact reason. While my personal enjoyment of this show was maybe a 6 or 7, I think I will give it an 8 for the unique feeling it made me feel as well as the relatively unique concepts. I may revisit this anime when I am older and able to better understand what it tries to convey.

-Yes, Nagara and Mizuho are apparently the only ones who go back, because they were the only ones ready to face life and grew up while in the adrift world, instead of keeping living in stasis and escapism.

-Everyone else embraced the adrift world/s, and eventually "died" in there (death is explained to work differently in the adrift world than the regular one). The people who stayed were those who weren't ready to face life and move forward.

-They literally made a funeral service for Nozomi, so I don't know what are you talking about when you said they didn't make it "a big deal". Nagara and Mizuho were devastated and grieved in their own ways (they are both literally seen crying on screen). If you mean everyone else that did not attend the funeral: It seems implied by what Rajdhani says that the group of students that went with Hoshi, were the ones who had to deal with him trying to create "death" in their world. Keep the context in mind, and how time flows differently for them, and It would make sense those classmates wouldn't be particularly moved when they get the news of Nozomi dying. To them, It may have passed billions of years, and dealt with so many attempts of murder by Hoshi already. Nozomi was a mere afterthought.

-Asakaze may not have saved her because he was a little shithead. Since he got rejected by her, maybe unconsciously he didn't want anyone else to have her or some bull. Tsubasa being in shock and saying how It seems she didn't really know the real Asakaze kinda implies something there.

-They went back because they came to terms with everything that happened and realized two things: One, they don't belong in the adrift world. Two, they were ready to face life. In the final episode they kinda give you their personal reasons for going back (Nagara because he wanted to go towards the light Nozomi gave him in many ways than one and Mizuho because she wanted to live her life already instead of being in stasis and being in denial about shit forever).

-There are better posts out there explaining the entire mechanic behind the powers and world jumping but in short: Yes, they went to an alternative timeline/world where Nozomi wasn't dead.

Is a coming of age story. A beautiful one at that, but still a coming of age one. I think It benefits from rewatches.
Oct 4, 2021 1:49 AM

Nov 2012
Great show with unique plot and a little hard to follow when you watch 1 ep per week, its better to watch the whole thing in 1 go to understand it better (and dont forget characters names, thats me).

My Candies:

Oct 4, 2021 5:39 AM

Mar 2021
4561236 said:
Zant-sama said:

-Yes, Nagara and Mizuho are apparently the only ones who go back, because they were the only ones ready to face life and grew up while in the adrift world, instead of keeping living in stasis and escapism.

-Everyone else embraced the adrift world/s, and eventually "died" in there (death is explained to work differently in the adrift world than the regular one). The people who stayed were those who weren't ready to face life and move forward.

-They literally made a funeral service for Nozomi, so I don't know what are you talking about when you said they didn't make it "a big deal". Nagara and Mizuho were devastated and grieved in their own ways (they are both literally seen crying on screen). If you mean everyone else that did not attend the funeral: It seems implied by what Rajdhani says that the group of students that went with Hoshi, were the ones who had to deal with him trying to create "death" in their world. Keep the context in mind, and how time flows differently for them, and It would make sense those classmates wouldn't be particularly moved when they get the news of Nozomi dying. To them, It may have passed billions of years, and dealt with so many attempts of murder by Hoshi already. Nozomi was a mere afterthought.

-Asakaze may not have saved her because he was a little shithead. Since he got rejected by her, maybe unconsciously he didn't want anyone else to have her or some bull. Tsubasa being in shock and saying how It seems she didn't really know the real Asakaze kinda implies something there.

-They went back because they came to terms with everything that happened and realized two things: One, they don't belong in the adrift world. Two, they were ready to face life. In the final episode they kinda give you their personal reasons for going back (Nagara because he wanted to go towards the light Nozomi gave him in many ways than one and Mizuho because she wanted to live her life already instead of being in stasis and being in denial about shit forever).

-There are better posts out there explaining the entire mechanic behind the powers and world jumping but in short: Yes, they went to an alternative timeline/world where Nozomi wasn't dead.

Is a coming of age story. A beautiful one at that, but still a coming of age one. I think It benefits from rewatches.

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

You were correct that I was talking about the rest of the students not making much of anything of Nozomi's death. I forgot about Hoshi so that probably didn't click for me when Rajdhani explained that. But, if Nozomi was able to die, why did Hoshi need to create death when he could have fallen like Nozomi did? Or would it be more accurate to say that Nozomi doesn't die at all but is instead transported to another This World and cannot be found; so Hoshi wasn't interested? I think it's pretty sad if Nozomi was relegated to a mere afterthought but it makes sense.

Like you said, time passes differently so billions of years could have passed for the other students. But, after potentially billions of years they are still unable to face reality. Escapism is definitely a major theme here but that is next level.

Thanks again for answering my questions, it helped a lot.
Oct 4, 2021 6:06 AM
Jan 2021
I maybe late for this but, overall this is quite a good solid show. I loved how it hooked me consistently from start until the end. Lessons were relatable among the characters and the story is impressively unique.

What a welcome back gift from Studio Madhouse and Shingo Natsume.
9/10.
Oct 4, 2021 3:11 PM
Feb 2021
Ashhk said:
At least Nozomi didn't really die even though it's just another different one in this world but it's quite depressing to be honest.
Anyway overall that was sure really impressive, it's the proof Madhouse can still make these older original experimental anime but with a modern touch, and it works perfectly this way.
I mean the version of Nozomi we got to see during the show really died lol
Oct 4, 2021 3:14 PM
Feb 2021
Shinkiroshi said:
am I the only one waiting for Nomzomi to go after Nagara and do what they promise to tell each other??:
That Nagara is dead tho, wouldn’t make sense going after that other one, the version that fell in love with Nozomi is not coming back, the version of Nagara in the end even was together with that other douche lmao. They are definitely not the same.
Oct 4, 2021 3:18 PM
Feb 2021
ULTRA-H said:
escapism... bad!

This comparison made no sense lmao, I hated Erased’s ending but this time around the Nozomi who loved Nagara is fucking dead bruh, he didn’t get cucked or some shit, those peope are totally different from those he kewn in the other world.
Oct 4, 2021 3:21 PM
Feb 2021
ThisIsMakago said:
It was pretty sad that Nozomi couldn't remember their journey all along. Here are my thought about the ending:
1, The world that Nagara and Mizuho came back wasn't the actual reality or indeed just another dimension. In that world, only Nagara and Mizuho remembered the story because they were the only one to make it out of the current dimension. Idk but it doesn't make sense since Mizuho only remembered when she dropped the glass (one of the many details i don't really understand). I really like the detail that Nagara seems unsatisfied that Nozomi didn't remember, but he accepted the truth that it was the reality he has chosen and he decided to keep moving on.
2, Remember the scene where Nagara and Nozomi ran out of the school gate? I think that detail stands for when they graduated. Because only students in the secondary school got teleported (or whatever they say i didn't watch the english sub :v) so it makes sense that when students go to high school, they no longer stuck in that reality.
Overall, the show is very meaningful (to me atleast), i also love the mood and that unique style of the series. Probably one of the best show in the season, but it sadly seems pretty underrated :P
(P.S. I relly like Rajidani but he didn't appear on the very last moment of the show, guess he already went back to India :v)
I mean that version of Nozomi who fell in love with Nagara is pretty much dead :(
Oct 4, 2021 5:37 PM

Apr 2020
Zant-sama said:
4561236 said:

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

You were correct that I was talking about the rest of the students not making much of anything of Nozomi's death. I forgot about Hoshi so that probably didn't click for me when Rajdhani explained that. But, if Nozomi was able to die, why did Hoshi need to create death when he could have fallen like Nozomi did? Or would it be more accurate to say that Nozomi doesn't die at all but is instead transported to another This World and cannot be found; so Hoshi wasn't interested? I think it's pretty sad if Nozomi was relegated to a mere afterthought but it makes sense.

Like you said, time passes differently so billions of years could have passed for the other students. But, after potentially billions of years they are still unable to face reality. Escapism is definitely a major theme here but that is next level.

Thanks again for answering my questions, it helped a lot.

Rajdhani talked about the many forms of death in This World, and just like the real world, death is a subjective word. It might mean that all of your vital organs cease to function, a physical death.

But consider this form of death, is a person with dementia that has lost their own identity dead? If everyone forgot your existence, or if you lost all of your drive and you're just left a wandering husk, would you be considered dead? Hoshi invented another kind of death, while Asakaze wielded another. The gun turns people into power holdovers, and Hoshi's electric chair turns people into Buddhas. They're both death.
Oct 4, 2021 9:55 PM
Aug 2017
Zant-sama said:

so Hoshi wasn't interested?

You need to rewatch episode 11 and pay attention to what Rajdhani says about that specific world with that specific student that invented in that specific world a certain type of death. ToraiS already explained things to you, but just in case: The death of ego by not having any desires is a form of death Hoshi creates in there. He doesn't have anything to do with Nozomi dying nor does he have to care about it, that situation was entirely out of his control and has nothing to do with him.

brenobluhm said:
I mean that version of Nozomi who fell in love with Nagara is pretty much dead :(

I mean yes, but no lol At the very least she remains the same type of person she was, so that gives Nagara some hope to keep his promise (I guess that's why he looks hopeful in the end and claims there is still time and shit). idk I like to be optimistic about it
Oct 5, 2021 1:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
brenobluhm said:
Ashhk said:
At least Nozomi didn't really die even though it's just another different one in this world but it's quite depressing to be honest.
Anyway overall that was sure really impressive, it's the proof Madhouse can still make these older original experimental anime but with a modern touch, and it works perfectly this way.
I mean the version of Nozomi we got to see during the show really died lol
Yeah this is why I said that, she's still here but the previous one died, sadly
Oct 5, 2021 4:18 AM
Aug 2021
That was a pretty good ending. Sure the Nozomi(of this world) isn't as close to Nagara as the Nozomi who was drifted but at least Mizuho remembers what all had happened when they drifted. Things don't always go the way you want it to.

I'll give this series a 7/10. The animation,artstyle and visuals are great. Sometimes I didn't fully understand the core messages but it's a fairly thought-provoking anime.
Oct 5, 2021 5:23 AM
Feb 2021
axitsunfuric said:
the_assasins said:

from u/BV-RE2PECT on reddit

Holy shit, the ending keeps getting better.
Oct 5, 2021 3:35 PM
Apr 2021
so I am rewatching this series, and episode 2, can anyone explain what is the relationship between mizuho and the teacher? a bit confused here...
Oct 5, 2021 4:04 PM
Jul 2021
LillyZ said:
so I am rewatching this series, and episode 2, can anyone explain what is the relationship between mizuho and the teacher? a bit confused here...

The teacher runs the school library. Mizuho uses it as a retreat because she's anti-social. She has a crush on the guy, but he's an adult and engaged, obviously out of her reach. He gets fired when the student council targets him to punish Mizuho. Mizuho uses Nyamazon to create a ring like his. Later on she stops wearing it.
Oct 5, 2021 4:11 PM
Apr 2021
Reelens said:
LillyZ said:

The teacher runs the school library. Mizuho uses it as a retreat because she's anti-social. She has a crush on the guy, but he's an adult and engaged, obviously out of her reach. He gets fired when the student council targets him to punish Mizuho. Mizuho uses Nyamazon to create a ring like his. Later on she stops wearing it.

Thank you a lot! I must have missed a lot of details lol
Oct 5, 2021 11:53 PM

Jun 2019
My 166th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
WatchTillTandavaOct 6, 2021 11:52 AM
Oct 6, 2021 3:28 AM
Mar 2012
Nice end Nagara & Mizuho return to original world. Can't change the world, but Nagara can choose the world possibility where Nozomi lives.
Been nice music, sometimes like the abstract stylish. Some cool ideas, unfortunately too many lead to feeling incoherent. Sometimes i get some elements, but miss the overall theme an episode's trying to convey or if it's describing anything at all.
Oct 8, 2021 3:05 AM

Jul 2015
Bittersweet end there with the somewhat sad reality where its good to see Nagara accepting that he can't change the world (unlike when he was adrift) and that he has to adjust himself to it.

One of the most unique anime I've seen so far. There were some confusing moments with all the allegory (mostly reflecting parts of society) but still interesting to see all these dimensions bending time and space.

Oct 8, 2021 6:43 PM

May 2018
Da fuq whut, now? I was done when Asakaze said my Rajdhani had turned into a forest. My boy didn't deserve to end up like that.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 9, 2021 7:05 AM
May 2020
this anime was able to translate abstraction to emotion and den morph that to each episode to give it an almost sentimental feel to it
Oct 9, 2021 8:29 AM

May 2020
That was quite an ending. Bittersweet or at least, it left me feeling like that. Both of them going to be back to an ordinary world, only never really sure if they were any of it actually happened. But they'll move on and live their lives, whatever their future holds for them.

I absolutely loved the dimension traveling scene. The animation and the background music..... just awesome.

Overall, I enjoyed this. I'm not perfectly clear about everything and I do think the series hand waves away a lot of things because it's not really important to the characters but I liked the characters and the story for the most part.
Oct 12, 2021 9:12 PM
Aug 2021
eh its good a little bland but good
Oct 14, 2021 9:28 AM
Apr 2018
Kimurah said:
Holy smokes, I don't think I've yawned that much watching anime as I did watching this finale.

This show fails to abide to Chekov's Gun on so many levels.

For me this show reached it's peak in episode 6 .

I couldn't have said it better myself. What a weak ending, hmm let's use ambiguity and not address anything.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

18 by APolygons2 »»
May 12, 5:16 AM

» Did Sonny boy give you a huge impact after finish it?

kisaragi_eki - Sep 8, 2023

44 by JessicaKari »»
Apr 2, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

113 by vit »»
Mar 24, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

160 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 23, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2021

157 by vit »»
Mar 18, 6:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.