Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2021 10:00 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What better way to rile up old rivals like Rikka Academy's than to have the old cocky Minato remember the intricate details to put them on a pedestal. Good luck to Minato's sister Asumi on her orchestra performance as well.

Everyone is expecting a lot from Rikka Academy vs. Yamanami High, and they know who specifically to shut down and lose their morale. That's a rough start there, and depending solely on Minato will not get them anywhere conceding goals. And that's why Eitarou's suggestion that Minato use his high-hand technique is so important, because he is the only one who can do it, and this presents a change of heart.

Right now, the adage of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is very vital, and Minato giving tips to the others for teamwork, it is going for the better in retaliation by using mistakes to their advantage to raise back morale.

Pretty much a very predictable win, and Minato and the rest will face Shogakukan for the finale (Rikka will obviously lose to them).
Not expecting much for the finale...sad to say.
KANLen09Sep 25, 2021 11:21 AM
Sep 25, 2021 10:33 AM

Jun 2019
Well, that's one of the things you have to expect when you are competing for the first time, not Minato just everyone else. Minato might be there and but a game is won by the Team, not individually. They're going to make several mistakes in the game but hey, everything has its positives as well. They're learning and they'll only learn from failures. Another thing that came out positive was that at least Minato's training didn't go to complete waste.

Well, just one more episode left in this show. It's gonna be interesting to see how they're gonna wrap it up or will they leave it on a cliffhanger of some sort? Can't be that.
Sep 25, 2021 11:07 AM
Sep 2015
Wow! I'm speechless at how well executed this episode is. We even get a little bit of audio-visual synchronization in music competition scene.

Technical aspect aside, this episode is also a win in storytelling. It makes me cheer every character no matter what side they are, old rival, new rival, family, etc.

But above of all, Minato is regaining his old personality (or should I say new?), the team abandon Minato-centric strategy and go for team work and easily win in the most impressive manner that inspire everyone.

Some will say they love when Minato is more gentle, they'll very appreciate this episode. But for me, I can completely embrace Minato in any version in any age. Yes, I'm that dirty.

This episode shows me that Minato get all his skill back in his peak junior high time, but he is yet to develop his skill furthur than that. That is why I'll be very nervous in the next episode. Not only that but also how will they wrap all the story up in just one episode, it needs one more episode after that, there are so many unresolved plot from many characters, in fact, it needs season 2! The sports anime I love usually get just one season, it's a curse!
phantomfandomSep 25, 2021 11:14 AM
Sep 25, 2021 12:21 PM

Apr 2018
Finally, a match.. Took them 11 episodes but alright. Minato is slowly changing into a team player which is a good change otherwise they would have lost with scoring 0 points. The dad and son moment was so fucking wholesome. That legit put a bright smile on my face. A pretty good episode with a few good visual shots.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 25, 2021 1:52 PM
Aug 2021
Loved the whole thing csnt wait for the season finally
Sep 25, 2021 2:10 PM

Nov 2019
This episode was truly about change! And amazingly executed!

I love that Joe's father, finally regained the glimpse in his eyes as he realise his son's passions, as he realise the fight his beloved son has put up. To at an end, be able to greet him with some honesty. I really loved Joe's letter, to hold his head high.
And that Minato can follow Bruce Lee's: "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is essentially your own". Taking the best of both personas, and rejecting the rest. And at close to the endgame, I actually kinda expected it to go into a tie and that both teams would end up not going forward, so that was a rather nice surprise!

I guess I have to admit. Watching Joe's dad running in his suit. Almost screaming in his phone that he'll be late while simultaneously screaming for a taxi. Because he'd decided to reunite with his lost son. That put a real big smile on my face.
And reminded me that there is somebody that I should probably call ^.^
─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───

"No matter how devastated you may be by your own weaknesses or uselessness...
Set your heart ablaze. Grit your teeth and look straight ahead.
Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...
or snuggle you, or grieve along with you."

─── ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ───
Sep 25, 2021 2:44 PM

Jun 2020
seeing clips of the old Minato makes me feel like someone died. I miss him lots. but jesus fuck, it's so good with this limbo of Minato not knowing how to feel about himself, when everyone around him still sees him as multiple different people.

also probably one of the best sports matches I've watched in anime, I actually celebrated when they won lol. got my nerves going
Sep 25, 2021 3:07 PM

Mar 2018
lol shugaku cheering for minato

I'm so glad that i called at the beginning of the episode that jojima jo's dad would rush to get there and see him in action hopefully that helps mend their relationship

i gotta say minatos the mvp for sweet talking the team at half time and giving roles but everyone else pulled their weight

tbh if i was on their team at half time i would have told the teacher to shut up or something not having a clue what he was on about lmao

i kind feel bad for the other team man they trash talked half of the season but haven't won one game lol

cant believe its the last episode next week already
Sep 25, 2021 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Minato is still confident that he will win the matches, but this is also a good thing because it motivates the team to move forward, but not in the way he is now. Rather, his old one that motivates the current one to continue with the water polo team, more even that the team is doing well with the matches.
Sep 25, 2021 5:44 PM

Jun 2021
A little cliche, but I'm a sucker for an episode like this.

Very happy to finally get a real match and it was very nice to see how each character has improved from their first match.

I especially love Jou and his dad's relationship.

We'll see what happens in the final match.
Sep 25, 2021 6:54 PM

Oct 2009
The entire match was way too quiet and lacking action. No communication between the players, stiff silent audience, a total of 9 goals at the end, and then - they win and there's almost zero reaction? Jo's dad and Minato's old teammates were basically the only ones showing any sign of life and cheering.

Might be just me, but after all the waterpolo I watched just now during the Olympics (and some of the more tense drama in this very anime, actually), this just came off as low-energy and underwhelming tbh. Without any suspense, even, over the result.
Sep 25, 2021 9:57 PM

Dec 2020
ahh there it is lmao. the sudden power up and change of pace from the team to win

fav part of this whole ep is definitely jo and his dad tho, that was rly cute
Sep 25, 2021 10:40 PM

Oct 2016
Great episode! We are reaching peak ultimate Minato, a balance of his nice self and his competitive self. Really nice to see Chinu playing as well even if it's just a few seconds. Jo's dad running to see his match was really sweet, hope they're relationship improves again after this.

Pretty sad for the other team, but they took the loss like champs. Looking forward to the last episode. I honestly think there's a high chance of this getting a second season.
Sep 25, 2021 11:39 PM
Nov 2020
nice minato nice team . That cooperation is important in the team
Sep 26, 2021 12:37 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
I liked it! I hope for more than 12 episodes in the future!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sep 26, 2021 1:18 AM
Apr 2020
First half is boring. But it gets really interesting at the end. Captain's dad arrived right at the moment he's blocking the ball, that's nice. As a team sport, teamwork is really the weapon. Next episode will be the last, they're journey didn't progress that much. Maybe Minato will remember his memories again. Maybe they're expecting or going to have a second season.

Sep 26, 2021 4:11 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Really liked that episode, good to see Minatos characters changing. Pretty predictable plot but enjoyable nonetheless

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Sep 26, 2021 4:37 AM

Aug 2020
This episode impressed me. Minato and the team finally got a win, and it's all due to their strength and training. They already had potential.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. Let's discover if they will win Shogaku. It will be a tough match for sure.

Also, congratulations for Asumi, she played really well at the school concert. The song starting at the final time of the match was really nice.

Minato is changing for good finally xD

Sep 26, 2021 2:04 PM

Aug 2015
Probably the best episode by far. I think Rikka's players were slightly boosted despite their progression. (Baba in particular). Very happy to get a glimpse of the little sister band concert, it reminded me of Euphonium.

I would say that the ending of the game was predictable and the opponents were uninteresting. However we finally feel a real chemistry in the team.
Sep 26, 2021 2:16 PM
Apr 2019
Took us a while what with the drama-filled episodes but we got a match. The match was very lacking, not to mention it was quiet from the audience.

A decent episode, albeit predictable. I gotta admit, I'm not sure how things will wrap up in the last episode. I hope it isn't rushed. A 2nd season would help but it depends on the views and blu-ray sales (both of which have been low from what I've heard so who knows if there will be a season 2)
Sep 26, 2021 7:19 PM

Jul 2017
Sep 26, 2021 7:20 PM

Jun 2014
98% chance the "nice Minato" memories/personality return after he wakes up from the nap. Calling it now.
Sep 26, 2021 7:40 PM

Nov 2012
I get way too hype watching competition anime. I didn't realize they were playing different schools in 1 day. They need to refuel, Their advisor should at least have food and drinks. I'm excited for next week.
Sep 26, 2021 7:43 PM

Jul 2016
Good job, Minato. You discovered Waterpolo is actually a team sport.

Meh episode. Are Waterpolo audiences always this dead?
Sep 27, 2021 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
I'm surprised, I was expecting Minato to act like a complete jerk with his teammates during the halftime since the team was losing. But he actually acted like a nice team leader, wow. I still don't like him though
Sep 27, 2021 2:35 PM
Mar 2015
They beat the team that never won a game in middle school
Sep 28, 2021 12:50 AM

Oct 2008
HAHAHA How's that Chinu-biatch! lolz i guess she's even more frustrated because the boys won the first round... lolz!
4/5.

Sep 29, 2021 5:20 AM
Dec 2019
This episode made me a bit emotional. I was pissed when the memories of Minato came back. Because he was such an emo. But seeing him finally understanding and appreciating his friends sure make me happy. Also the extra stuff this episode added like the music from Minato's sister concert playing in background and Jou's Father came to watch his match, everything is much obliged.
Oct 4, 2021 3:34 AM

Jul 2015
Shame on Rikka Gakukan for not winning against a team that lost to grade schoolers.

Joke aside its about time that egoist realised his teammates are quite capable. I dislike Ei but I gotta give him props with that high pass that caused Minato to change his mindset.

Oct 4, 2021 3:44 PM

Mar 2009
An actual match in the second to last episode. And it was surprisingly decent. Maybe they should've had more games in this sports anime? I don't know. Just a thought.
Oct 5, 2021 11:59 PM

Dec 2016
They did great after the 1st period.

It's a good thing Jojima finally made up with his dad.

It would've been funny if Jojima couldn't block that ball the moment his dad arrived XD

Imagine listening to just the audio when the orchestra music was going on while they were playing XD
Oct 16, 2021 6:50 AM
Sep 2018
I love this Minato rn and this match was really good
Nov 12, 2021 4:41 PM

Oct 2019
So Minato suddenly discovered common sen... er... I mean that team sports cannot be played by one person. Fortunately he has the video recording of his 'other self' to spell out the obvious to him.

Thank God we have the walking talking plot device Chinu-chan to helpfully explain to us what was going on, with both her words and her kawaii expressionless face (are we sure she is not the actual 'Mask' of the show?), that Minato has never played so selflessly before etc

It's almost like Masafumi Nishida felt bad ditching her character after her part as a 'Minato motivator' ended and gave her an additional role either as a.. courtesy or to have fangirls/boys hope (in vain, surely) that she and Minato will be a thing at the end.

Jo's father is a sleepy-head but at least he managed to reach his son's match just before the end. In the final episode they are playing against Shogakukan, who have a severe handicap. Even though their adversaries lack Momosaki I doubt the boys can pull off a win but you never know..
Nov 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Dec 2019
I have missed the feeling a great sports anime gives you. Just what I needed, I've been watching this in one sitting and I'm about to put the final episode on!
Dec 22, 2021 5:08 AM

Jun 2020
That scene that transitioned from Captain’s dad reading the letter & then rushing to the game made me sob. That was so great. They didn’t know how to communicate but his son’s actions has shown him & served as a wake up call that they can mend their relationship now, so touching ಥ﹏ಥ

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 12, 2022 5:15 AM

Aug 2017
So they lost to middle-schoolers but they can win now? OK.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 23, 2022 12:21 PM
Dec 2021
This was amazing. They turned the tables against them in the second half
Nov 12, 2023 7:38 AM
Aug 2022
Kamekichi had an unpleasant start to his day forced by his roommates to seeing their gay friend off to his gayclub gathering for homolympics.
Rest of his day is pleasant presumably nibbling on some lettuce and climbing steps without the gay kid around.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 2, 2021

69 by IDontKnowAnyM0r3 »»
Apr 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 11, 2021

49 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 4, 2021

106 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2021

34 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 3 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jul 24, 2021

32 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.