Are you a gay?
No
50.2%
Yes
49.8%
482 votes
Jul 3, 2021 7:54 AM
Jan 2021
I don't mean anything, I'm just asking if those of you who watch this movie are gay? Or is it just me who's straight watching this. I didn't know this movie was gay at first, but I have the principle that "A man finishes what he starts". So I had to finish it. The graphics and Art are very good I really like it, overall 8/10

Mod edit: Thread locked for sensitive/controversial topic.

Anime Discussion Rules 5. Please refrain from creating threads which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated and/or sensitive issues liable to incite rule violations (trolling, flaming, abuse).
KarinaraMar 4, 2022 5:19 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 3, 2021 8:27 AM
Apr 2020
I'm not gay, but I want to check out this movie, since Doukyuusei was such a poor attempt to make a BL romance and I hope this one would be one of the better ones. I want to give every genre a fair chance, and that includes shounen ai.
Jul 3, 2021 8:37 AM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I'm very gay and I liked this movie a lot.
Jul 3, 2021 8:40 AM
Dec 2020
No I'm not gay but I have hopes on this movie.
Jul 3, 2021 8:52 AM
Sep 2019
Weebbe said:
I'm not gay, but I want to check out this movie, since Doukyuusei was such a poor attempt to make a BL romance and I hope this one would be one of the better ones. I want to give every genre a fair chance, and that includes shounen ai.
( ̄︿ ̄) You didn't like doukyuusei? A bit sad to hear that since I absolutely loved doukyuusei. What made you not like it?

Also I really loved Umibe no Etranger too! (≧◡≦) ♡ I loved how the characters developed over the course of the movie and its all just too cute!
Jul 3, 2021 8:58 AM
Apr 2020
this_is_Kero said:
Weebbe said:
( ̄︿ ̄) You didn't like doukyuusei? A bit sad to hear that since I absolutely loved doukyuusei. What made you not like it?

Also I really loved Umibe no Etranger too! (≧◡≦) ♡ I loved how the characters developed over the course of the movie and its all just too cute!

The relationship in Doukyuusei just felt quite forced in my opinion, like Rihito didn't really give any kind of consent or permission for Hikaru. And I feel 1 hour runtime was not enough to build up the relationship well. I can see why people like it tho, since there's not a whole lot of BL anime out there.
Jul 3, 2021 9:18 AM
Sep 2019
Weebbe said:
this_is_Kero said:

The relationship in Doukyuusei just felt quite forced in my opinion, like Rihito didn't really give any kind of consent or permission for Hikaru. And I feel 1 hour runtime was not enough to build up the relationship well. I can see why people like it tho, since there's not a whole lot of BL anime out there.
I see your point. However I liked that it was short. Felt like I was reading a one shot story and the brief scenes and light theme was really refreshing.
Jul 3, 2021 12:11 PM
Apr 2020
I am what some would call a limp wrist fairy
Jul 3, 2021 12:18 PM

Jun 2016
No I'm as straight as Wyoming's borders. Also genuine question: what's up with the indefinite article + adjective + nothing syntax? I've been seeing that a lot. I'm not trying to be grammar police, my grammar's too bad for that. I'm just curious.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 3, 2021 1:36 PM
Sep 2019
PussyCats said:
I don't mean anything, I'm just asking if those of you who watch this movie are gay? Or is it just me who's straight watching this. I didn't know this movie was gay at first, but I have the principle that "A man finishes what he starts". So I had to finish it. The graphics and Art are very good I really like it, overall 8/10
same here I thought it would be some normal romance but it suprised me I cringed a bit but I won’t let sex between 2 guys ruin the fun cuz this movie is good actually a solid 7
Jul 3, 2021 2:43 PM
May 2021
Na realidade eu sou Bi então meio q sim, o filme é bem bom
Jul 5, 2021 12:00 AM
Mar 2021
Sure,a lot of watchers are LGBT (representation Is always nice to see) but some people treat it as regular romance. Not every straight guy gets repulsed by watching two dudes kiss.
Jul 5, 2021 12:05 AM

Apr 2020
I'm gay and haven't seen it yet, but it is on my watch list.
Jul 5, 2021 7:51 AM
Nov 2020
Nah I'm not gay but I just wanted to watch a gæ movie as how it was & it's my 1st boys loving each other movie
Jul 5, 2021 3:41 PM

Mar 2014
What can I say.... Dudes rock
Jul 7, 2021 8:45 AM

Aug 2019
Yes, but if you are straight that doesn't mean you can't enjoy this movie, like I love a lot of romance anime that are straight and that doesn't wipe up the fact I like girls
Jul 9, 2021 12:12 AM
Sep 2020
I'm not gay, it's just that I like BL that's nothing more and nothing less
Jul 10, 2021 4:34 AM

May 2015
I am straight, more into hetero romance, shoujo ai and yuri than shounen ai, but I don't have a problem with watching the latter if it is well made. Romace is romance even if it happens to be between two men.
Jul 10, 2021 6:25 PM

Jan 2010
nah not gay. I just been hearing a lot about this film for the past year. Figured I'd watch it since I have nothing to see now that I've just finished Kiznaiver and it just dropped on funimation.
Enjoyable film with a good romance story,
Jul 10, 2021 8:57 PM

Jan 2019
Not gay, I really liked the plot and animation style overall, but some parts of the movie did make me uncomfortable

Jul 12, 2021 4:34 PM
Aug 2017
Not gay but watched it. I havent read the source material but the plot development feels too rushed to me. Shun has had problems coming out but miraculously has a turn of character so easily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the film is working towards more LGBT representation, I love the characters, I love the art but the pacing feels way off and didn't resonate with me. Is this film about normalizing LGBT relationships, the difficulties of coming out, both? I can't tell. It feels like the latter is being prioritized but time skip aside, it progressed too quickly. I prefer how Given did it.
Jul 15, 2021 4:10 AM

Oct 2016
I am gay and I simply love this movie. I may have low standards for this genre since every other anime I have seen that portrays LBGT relationships (especially between men) were always very uncomfortable to watch,not only due to the overly sexual scenes but especially due to how forced they were. Estranger on the Shore did not have issues with this, everything was very much consensual and very sweet.

It was everything I ever wanted from the shounen-ai genre- sweet, cute, relatable, a bit angsty and with beautiful art. It's just a shame how short it actually was... I really hope there may be a long second movie one day- well, a boy can hope.
Jul 24, 2021 9:10 AM

Oct 2015
I'm gay and there were things that I liked about it. The art was gorgeous, the overall story would've been nice but it felt a bit rushed and "a bit all over the place". That sounds like a weird combination but I could follow/figure out the things that happened in the background but I think it would've been nice to have an extra half hour to get a more complete picture of their story.

It tried to put struggles and issues into the movie but gave like 1 minute for each. Issue of being gay in school, issue of telling your friend that you like him, issue of losing your parent, issue of getting shunned out of the family, issue of insecurity about your relationship, and so on. There were so many "touched upon" but none were actually detailed.

I gave it a 7/10 because I liked the art, I kinda liked the story even if it was a bit of a mess, I didn't like the character design tho, it felt way too young, especially with Kirito's/Bell's squeaky voice (sorry not sorry), I don't really remember the music but it wasn't bad for sure, I didn't like the pacing either, I loved that it was a gay story, it's rare to see one so that added 1-2 score to the experience for me.
Aug 8, 2021 11:33 PM

Oct 2020
PussyCats said:
if u gave this movie a 8/10 the sequel is even more amazing, try reading the sequel manga, you will like it it's very much better than this
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Aug 15, 2021 8:36 AM

Jul 2008
Gay here! Just a quick fyi, gay is an adjective, so it's better grammar to say, "Are you gay?" :-)
Sep 17, 2021 10:34 AM

Jun 2020
Well I'm bi, I really enjoyed this movie it was a good pallet cleanse after watching Yes ka No ka Hanbun ka personally. It did feel a bit rushed though.
CandleHoarderSep 18, 2021 9:08 AM
Sep 17, 2021 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
I'm a lesbian, and I didn't like this movie at all. It was too rushed, and the characters were too childish.

Sep 17, 2021 3:46 PM

Aug 2017
I'm gay but I haven't seen this movie yet.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 2, 2021 4:31 AM
Jul 2021
I'm bi. So idk what to vote for lol. I voted no since I'm bi and not gay even tho I like other guys
Oct 2, 2021 4:34 AM
Jul 2021
Osmatic said:
Well I'm bi, I really enjoyed this movie it was a good pallet cleanse after watching Yes ka No ka Hanbun ka personally. It did feel a bit rushed though.

Agreed. The movie is great but as you said it feels quite rushed. They should've gone slower and made it longer. It would've made the movie even better.
Oct 23, 2021 7:25 PM
Jan 2021
Solid movie 😊 super happy that I was able to watch it.
Dec 2, 2021 10:34 PM
Feb 2021
As a gay person, this anime has my favorite gay relationship representation of any BL.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umibe no Étranger Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FuMomo-kun - Mar 6, 2021

73 by UserZ022 »»
Apr 4, 11:30 AM

» Idk about you but I NEED A SECOUND MOVIE

LukeLippo - May 7, 2021

8 by passing_through »»
Dec 13, 2023 10:07 AM

» Why is this rated PG-13 if it has an explicit sex scene?

kari-ya - Sep 7, 2021

19 by Puppytay »»
Aug 14, 2023 9:12 AM

» I have a big doubt about Sakurako flashback :O

orlianime93 - Apr 11, 2022

8 by gulgamgug »»
Jun 23, 2022 10:27 PM

» Happy birthday chibana Mio

Sekainobaka - Dec 24, 2021

1 by cnsqwerty »»
Dec 27, 2021 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.