Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 6, 2020 10:57 AM
Oct 2020
So I am kinda into Romance Action anime so i wanted to know from you that if, the irregular at magic high school contains what i need. I dont care if it is incest or not.
Oct 6, 2020 11:10 AM

Feb 2020
The MC is like that guy you imagine yourself to be in high school, as the underdog who's life philosophy are right in every way, emotions are intact with a bit of an insecurity, doesn't have to try hard to get anything he wants, alpha but not overshadowing, and is lowkey better than everyone else. He is what every man wants to be, but isn't even close to.

If you like SAO and Kirito as a character, then you'll love Mahouka.
Oct 6, 2020 11:22 AM

Mar 2020
No, tried watching it 3 times and didn’t finish it even once, the story is super bad, the characters are garbage and it has no depth. The only thing that redeems the show is that the animation is done by Madhouse.
Im talking from a stand point of watching a show that is so bad that I can’t finish it even with my full focus and investment.
Just not worth it.
Oct 6, 2020 11:25 AM

Jan 2018
typical power fantasy .
didnt finish it .

i dont think its "good" but its definitely better then other things that i did watch so i might watch it some other time
Oct 6, 2020 11:27 AM

Sep 2014
I watched 3 episodes and decided to drop. This means a lot because I usually never drop if I watch more than 1 episode.
Oct 6, 2020 11:42 AM

Dec 2019
You seem like an Alabama guy, definitely worth watching.
Oct 6, 2020 11:46 AM
May 2015
I thought the series was ok. Story's meh, characters are meh but I don't hate them, and an overpowered protagonist with incest vibes all around. Whole lotta action scenes, as well if that's your thing.

All in all, I don't think it's a great show but enjoyable to watch if you just turn off your brain.

Oct 6, 2020 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
It's terribad. Try Maou Gakuin for something that evokes a similar feeling, but still bad. But better than Irregular.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 6, 2020 12:53 PM

Nov 2019
jc9622 said:
I thought the series was ok. Story's meh, characters are meh but I don't hate them, and an overpowered protagonist with incest vibes all around. Whole lotta action scenes, as well if that's your thing.

All in all, I don't think it's a great show but enjoyable to watch if you just turn off your brain.
jc9622 said:

isnt this the show with the science info dumps every second
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Oct 6, 2020 1:02 PM

Sep 2018
Its mindless fun and nothing more for me. The characters are very superficial and stereotypical, but the overall world is at least unique which makes it fun to watch. It's hurtful to think about though since the world while being unique is not very well explored or even explained.

Would not recommend to watching it though, there are better shows if you want mindless fun and if you want an actual good show then this is utter garbage.
Oct 6, 2020 4:47 PM
Jul 2020
I'd say it was okay. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Oct 6, 2020 5:49 PM
May 2015
lajz said:
jc9622 said:

jc9622 said:

isnt this the show with the science info dumps every second
Honestly, I don't remember but even if there was, I didn't care because there was absolutely no tension in this show whatsoever. You already know the protagonist was going to win just because of how overpowered he is.

Oct 6, 2020 5:52 PM
Sep 2017
It's mostly mindless, self-insert fun. The series does shine in it's surprisingly good world-building, which makes it stand out from the rest of the generic power-fantasies out there. The magic systems are very thoroughly developed and complex. I was kinda bored of it at first, but as I watched it more and more, it became enjoyable. The movie was especially fun, with 8-bit animation instead of Madhouse.
hello
Oct 6, 2020 6:07 PM
Jul 2020
Mahouka can really play with your mind....its sci-fi story and logics were hard to understand but not a bad story though...if you like an OP MC that can literally do anything then thats for u
Oct 6, 2020 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Dropped it halfway through the first episode. Was not my thing.

But, hey, you'll never know if it's for you if you don't watch it yourself.
Oct 6, 2020 6:19 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
SansWobbles said:

No hate on Mahouka and its fans. I love Miyuki and Mayumi but this^

This is exactly my overall thoughts about the show
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Oct 6, 2020 7:00 PM

Sep 2008
depends on your perspective.
I'm sick and tired of beta mcs who are afraid of women, scared to use their power, think that resolving everything the most peaceful way is the best.
especially if comes to portraying demon lords, who are supposed to be ruthless and op as hell.
maou gakuin is about a guy who curbstomps everything in his path and can asspull his way out of every situation. it's a power fantasy, plain and simple. but it's also a very refreshing experience that I welcome. it was a fun watch, but it's not amazing.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 7, 2020 12:19 AM
Oct 2020
Turpe said:
You seem like an Alabama guy, definitely worth watching.

I wanted to watch it because i saw season 2 of it is ongoing now.

nyugvo6 said:
depends on your perspective.
I'm sick and tired of beta mcs who are afraid of women, scared to use their power, think that resolving everything the most peaceful way is the best.
especially if comes to portraying demon lords, who are supposed to be ruthless and op as hell.
maou gakuin is about a guy who curbstomps everything in his path and can asspull his way out of every situation. it's a power fantasy, plain and simple. but it's also a very refreshing experience that I welcome. it was a fun watch, but it's not amazing.

I wanted to watch it because i saw season 2 of it is ongoing now. The misfist was good... though the mc was too op.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenOct 9, 2020 3:35 PM
Oct 7, 2020 2:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I liked it, but I also find thematic stances it takes reprehensible for being pretty overtly authoritarian and jingoist, i.e. the protestors that consumed the first half and the Chinese that consumed the second half, respectively. I find those elements easier to ignore whenever I don't see other people who enjoy the series propping it up for bullshit like telling it how it really is, though, a la OreGairu and Shield Hero. Thankfully, Mahouka never had that with its fans so I don't mind it so much. Still present in the series, don't get me wrong, but since it ostensibly failed at manipulating its audience towards those stances, they're easier to view in a vacuum of just events happening within a series rather than something I feel more pressed to view with a sociopolitical lens.

Less important to why I don't find a series that's so overtly pro-authoritarian and kind of fascist objectionable to the point where I have to throw it down and hate it is that this one does actually contain elements I find really easy to enjoy. The worldbuilding and especially the magic systems are incredibly intricate and detailed, and while these things are explained in poorly inserted bits of exposition more often than not - both in source and in the anime - I still find that really enjoyable to hear about. I'm the type of person who reads tabletop rulebooks for fun. Shit like this is my jam, and I honestly believe that Mahouka is the best LN series out there for this sort of thing, period. Like, number 1.

Tatsuya is also kind of turns inwards on himself and becomes really fun to watch on account of coming across as the logical extreme of the super OP protagonist; normally he'd be insufferable in some way, shape, or form, but Mahouka doesn't do it with some self-aware parody gimmick to make its audience feel safe with it. It tries playing the sheer absurdity of his power completely straight, even though it's often just difficult to process how incredibly weightless and stupid every fight involving him feels. It's like nothing I've ever seen before in that regard, and while it ends up being very so bad it's good, it's still something I had fun with. Magic Gun Batman's sheer OP-ness can be kind of unintentionally comical. Anybody who tries to compare any other OP MC to Onii-sama has no clue how inferior they truly are to this all-knowing, omnipotent being.

I also just adore Miyuki, really. I like incest stories. It's a niche I like quite a bit, and Miyuki and Tatsuya had a fun dynamic. I think they're like, third to Yosuga no Sora and OreImo with the whole sister fister bit. I didn't find many of the side characters memorable, but I remember finding them fun enough as I was watching it, albeit Miyuki and Tatsuya were my main takeaways there. Saori Hayami does an excellent job voicing her and she's just fucking adorable.

Lastly, I found it really aesthetically pleasing. Like, Iunno, the school outfits - especially the ones for the girls - look very cool to me with their mint green color, and the whole sort of little flair details it had to visualize magic was something I appreciated about it. It gives the action scenes a much needed injection of life on account of how totally weightless they are, thanks to Tatsuya being how he is.

So yeah, I liked it a lot. It'd never be anything more than a cautious recommendation if push came to shove, given how weirdly specific a lot of the things that made it work for me feel, but I still say it worked for me. I would very much encourage critical examination of its themes instead of taking them at face value, though. It's still difficult to totally ignore how morally fucked I find it, and I don't think I could sit there and say it has my approval without an asterisk denoting that.
ManabanOct 7, 2020 2:55 AM

Oct 7, 2020 2:27 AM

May 2020
shit anime definitely not recommended
Oct 7, 2020 2:49 AM
Sep 2018
Sam_Op said:
So I am kinda into Romance Action anime so i wanted to know from you that if, the irregular at magic high school contains what i need. I dont care if it is incest or not.

Lots of hates are floating here.

Listen, You should absolutely give it a try. Every anime has something to offer and this one also hs a lots to offer.

Its not THE best one out there, but it worth its money.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Oct 7, 2020 2:58 AM

Jul 2019
Its like a 7/10. It is fine for the most part but god damn I hate the main girl. She is one of the most annoying characters in anime imo. The show would be way better if she was just deleted
Oct 7, 2020 3:10 AM
Feb 2020
ur typical another "wasted potential" with this kind of story and premise,yeah they introduce the magic system,some interesting character,then in the end,its "kirito i mean onii sama save the day,beat everyone all by himself" atleast in the end of s1,mc beat everything by himself,unbeatable,also with his "incest bait" heroine who is annoying as ever.

TLDR gary stu+mary sue with op magic fiesta when the rest of the cast just watching them while eating popcorn,watch hellsing ultimate,atleast its make sense alucard is op and trolling ppl.
Oct 7, 2020 12:33 PM
Oct 2020
Manaban said:
I liked it, but I also find thematic stances it takes reprehensible for being pretty overtly authoritarian and jingoist, i.e. the protestors that consumed the first half and the Chinese that consumed the second half, respectively. I find those elements easier to ignore whenever I don't see other people who enjoy the series propping it up for bullshit like telling it how it really is, though, a la OreGairu and Shield Hero. Thankfully, Mahouka never had that with its fans so I don't mind it so much. Still present in the series, don't get me wrong, but since it ostensibly failed at manipulating its audience towards those stances, they're easier to view in a vacuum of just events happening within a series rather than something I feel more pressed to view with a sociopolitical lens.

Less important to why I don't find a series that's so overtly pro-authoritarian and kind of fascist objectionable to the point where I have to throw it down and hate it is that this one does actually contain elements I find really easy to enjoy. The worldbuilding and especially the magic systems are incredibly intricate and detailed, and while these things are explained in poorly inserted bits of exposition more often than not - both in source and in the anime - I still find that really enjoyable to hear about. I'm the type of person who reads tabletop rulebooks for fun. Shit like this is my jam, and I honestly believe that Mahouka is the best LN series out there for this sort of thing, period. Like, number 1.

Tatsuya is also kind of turns inwards on himself and becomes really fun to watch on account of coming across as the logical extreme of the super OP protagonist; normally he'd be insufferable in some way, shape, or form, but Mahouka doesn't do it with some self-aware parody gimmick to make its audience feel safe with it. It tries playing the sheer absurdity of his power completely straight, even though it's often just difficult to process how incredibly weightless and stupid every fight involving him feels. It's like nothing I've ever seen before in that regard, and while it ends up being very so bad it's good, it's still something I had fun with. Magic Gun Batman's sheer OP-ness can be kind of unintentionally comical. Anybody who tries to compare any other OP MC to Onii-sama has no clue how inferior they truly are to this all-knowing, omnipotent being.

I also just adore Miyuki, really. I like incest stories. It's a niche I like quite a bit, and Miyuki and Tatsuya had a fun dynamic. I think they're like, third to Yosuga no Sora and OreImo with the whole sister fister bit. I didn't find many of the side characters memorable, but I remember finding them fun enough as I was watching it, albeit Miyuki and Tatsuya were my main takeaways there. Saori Hayami does an excellent job voicing her and she's just fucking adorable.

Lastly, I found it really aesthetically pleasing. Like, Iunno, the school outfits - especially the ones for the girls - look very cool to me with their mint green color, and the whole sort of little flair details it had to visualize magic was something I appreciated about it. It gives the action scenes a much needed injection of life on account of how totally weightless they are, thanks to Tatsuya being how he is.

So yeah, I liked it a lot. It'd never be anything more than a cautious recommendation if push came to shove, given how weirdly specific a lot of the things that made it work for me feel, but I still say it worked for me. I would very much encourage critical examination of its themes instead of taking them at face value, though. It's still difficult to totally ignore how morally fucked I find it, and I don't think I could sit there and say it has my approval without an asterisk denoting that.

I think The Misfit of demon king academy is better than this
Oct 7, 2020 12:34 PM

Feb 2010
it is for the onisama drinking game.

@SansWobbles

i find SAO okay, but i don't like Kirito as a character hes bland as hell.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 7, 2020 12:57 PM

May 2019
Well it doesn't have any of the romance, so you can forget that. The story is your average overpowered MC doing overpowered stuff, so it's kinda generic, but enjoyable so 6/10 for that. But the characters are garbage in my opinion.
My overall rating of the show: 5/10. You should check it out if you enjoy OP MC kicking ass. If not, I'd say look for something else.

YeeYeeAss said:
but god damn I hate the main girl. She is one of the most annoying characters in anime imo. The show would be way better if she was just deleted
I couldn't agree with you more. She's got nothing to do but "Onii-chan". She's annoying and a complete waste of a character. Only holds the show back.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenOct 9, 2020 3:36 PM
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Oct 9, 2020 10:33 AM

Aug 2017
I watched the first season this year so I could help you, the show is not trash or masterpiece, its OK (6/10), the main problem is not Tatsuya, yes, he's OP but its explained why and that its not a reasonable reason to bash the anime. The main problem of that show are the villains, almost all of them are quite quite generic or repetitive. But beside that, its not a bad show, the info dump are pretty good once you get used to it, side characters are interesting and they established conflicts at that time. I love Mahouka worldbuilding and factions. Even the comedy scenes are quite funny lol.

SansWobbles said:
The MC is like that guy you imagine yourself to be in high school, as the underdog who's life philosophy are right in every way, emotions are intact with a bit of an insecurity, doesn't have to try hard to get anything he wants, alpha but not overshadowing, and is lowkey better than everyone else. He is what every man wants to be, but isn't even close to.

My friend is a huge Kirito fan like me and he dropped Mahouka lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 9, 2020 3:37 PM

May 2009
Thread moved from Anime Discussion.
Oct 9, 2020 4:12 PM
Jan 2015
Its a acquired taste, if you like political intrigue, find magic science intriguing, like or don't mind incestuous undertones, and are fine with having OP protagonist(s)(i say it like this, cause its not just Tatsuya that's OP, Miyuki is OP herself and she may be the 2nd strongest character in the series(Lina is up there as well)).

All in all, Mahouka is not a series I'd openly recommend, cause its got quite a few things that the more common viewer might be put off by(i.e incest and overpowered protagonists). I only recommend this if neither of those things bother you or are deal breakers, cause I honestly do love the franchise, its characters, and many of the story elements it has.

Though if you want to really get into the series itself, i'd hold off on the anime and go straight to the LN. Not to say the anime adaptions are horrible or anything. But like most LN adaptions, things get rushed, important info gets skipped, characters aren't given the proper characterization(especially Tatsuya who's an incredibly introspective character who keeps most of his thoughts and feelings to himself, so you can have a very hard time trying to understand him just from the anime).
My Queens

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.